Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Gaius and Merlin accompanied Gwen back to her home after they left Gaius's study to allow Gwen to clean up and change her dress for the feast. Gwen was excited as she walked in between the two of her close friends towards her home. She was going to see Arthur, and after everything she had went through for his sake, she wanted to be able to tell him just how much she truly cared about him even if it could lead to nothing. After nearly dying a number of times by Norena's hand and learning from Norena's mistake of not explaining herself to the man she loved, Gwen knew that at the least, she needed Arthur to know that she loved him, which she fully intended to do at the feast. She was worried about the feast, however, because she really didn't know what to wear considering that her best dresses had been destroyed by Norena.

While she was cleaning up in the back of her home, Merlin left it upon himself to see if he could find her something suitable to wear while Gaius waited patiently at the table, rolling his eyes at Merlin's open willingness to go through Gwen's meager clothing. The young wizard appeared shortly, grinning from ear to ear as he held out what he had found proudly to Gaius. It was a certain red and purple dress in the back of Gwen's closet that he knew he had never seen her wear before. It was simple but extremely beautiful, which he thought suited the young handmaiden well, and he said as much when he presented his choice to her. Despite the fact that Gwen wanted to protest, considering that she had never allowed herself to even look at that dress, let alone wear it, she ended up relenting to Merlin's doe eyes and his arguments stating how perfect it was for her. Gwen had to admit that it did feel nice when she slipped it on, feeling like it fit her perfectly. Her father really did know her well, and she knew he would have loved it on her if he had been there to see it.

The Calan Gaeaf Feast took place within the Main Hall of the castle with all of the nobles that came to attend, but commoners were allowed to come as well, though they were generally confined to the castle courtyard where a separate celebration took place. Gwen, Merlin, and Gaius would have generally been confined to the courtyard celebrations as well, but considering their status as servants to the royal family, they were allowed access to castle. Gaius decided stayed behind in the commoner festivities, however, while Merlin and Gwen continued on to the main hall.

As the two servants passed into the castle doors, the eyes of the soldiers at the guard followed them closely, their eyes focused on that of the handmaiden. Many of the men in the hall reacted the same way upon seeing Gwen, most of them whispering to one another asking each other who she was, though no one knew. They all marveled at the way the candlelight highlighted her brown curls that she actually wore down, though she still wore flowers in her hair. The colors of her dress also commented her skin tone and the rosy hue in her cheeks. She truly was a sight to see, and many of the nobles were taking advantage of that, though there were a pair of eyes that had also noticed her that belonged to someone who wasn't interested in just staring at her.

When Gwen actually noticed that she was being gawked at by a good number of men, she found herself thinking that it was because something was wrong with her. Lacing her arm through Merlin's, she lifted her head and whispered into his ear.

“Why is everyone staring at us? Is there a bug in my hair? Or is there something wrong with my gown? I knew there was a reason why I shouldn't wear it and it was because my dad gave it to me right before he died, and what girl in their right mind would wear something that their dad had given them to-”

“Gwen,” Merlin said gently, cutting in on her nervous babbling, “There's nothing wrong with you or your gown or your hair. They're staring because they think you're pretty, and they very well should because you look great, tonight.”

Blushing deeply, Gwen smiled up at her friend, but she continued to try and duck her head down behind his shoulders, uncomfortable with the attention that she was getting. She was used to being ignored by these people, a fixture in the back of the room that they passed by without a second glance. She still suspected that they were looking upon her with frowns and glares. Realizing that they were all smiling at her openly, however, she slowly found herself straightening up and even nodding or smiling back at them, though she continued to keep her arm wrapped around Merlin's. She wasn't that accustomed to this setting to actually let him go just yet.

As they reached the center of the hall, their progression stopped seeing as the room seemed to be jammed packed with nobles. Gwen continued to stand by Merlin's side as he looked over the people's heads searching for a way through. While she was waiting, however, she suddenly felt a hand grab a hold of her free arm, pulling her forcefully away from Merlin's side. Crying out, Gwen tried to reach out for Merlin, but the hand pulling her away pulled firmly once again and she found herself losing Merlin in the crowd. She doubted that Merlin would even realize that she had gone, considering how he had been so focused on finding a way through.

With Merlin out of sight and reach in the crowd behind her, Gwen finally turned her attention to her captor. She nearly let out a startled cry as she realized that it was none other than Arthur Pendragon, himself, though she could only see the back of his head considering that he was too busy finding a way through to look back at her. It was somewhat astonishing how he managed to push his way through with none of the people really being any the wiser that he, the prince of Camelot, was holding the hand of a servant. The crowd was too tightly packed in with everybody pushing someone one way or another to really notice whom they were being pushed by. Gwen found herself somewhat pleased that she had Arthur's firm hand grasping hers, keeping her from getting lost, but she was also somewhat curious as to what Arthur was doing, dragging her out of the hall.

They exited the hall at one of the side entrances that led out onto the balcony. Arthur forcefully closed the door they had just escaped through behind them so as not to allow anyone else to follow them. Once closed, he then led her towards the parapet, his hand still firmly grasping hers. Gwen was barely able to take in a deep breath of the cool night air when they finally stopped before she suddenly felt the prince wrap his arms firmly around her, pulling her close to him and holding her tight. Too startled by his sudden embrace, Gwen couldn't even speak let alone hug him back. She found herself staring at the door that Arthur had shut behind them, afraid that any moment, someone would come out and find them. It wasn't until she heard him sigh and felt him pull away that she actually looked up into his face.

He brought his hands up to her face and cupped both of her cheeks, brushing his thumbs along her jawline. “Guinevere,” he exhaled, her name spoken with relief and also a tinge of regret. “I know that you heard me say something terrible earlier when I was talking to Morgana. I want you to know that I didn't mean it. I never regretted the day I met you or even how I came to care about you as more than just a friend,” he said, his face filled with such regret and pleading as he continued to hold her face in his hands. “The things my father told me about the kingdom and my duties to it were meant to make me feel ashamed for caring for you the way that I do, but they didn't work. You are a far better woman than any of those noble women in that room. You are strong, kind, caring, and love with such a passion, that I find myself lucky to be able to even call you my friend. I...I was utter fool for letting my fears of my father and the dungeon get to me. I was an idiot and a buffoon and-”

Gwen pressed her fingers to Arthur's lips, silencing him as she felt tears suddenly begin to course down her dark cheeks. “Don't you dare say another word, Arthur Pendragon,” she whispered through the lump that had grown in her throat at the words he had spoken to her. “I don't need for you to apologize for something that I knew you didn't really mean when uttered those words, and I don't think I can bear to hear another word from you, slandering the name of a man I respect and care for so deeply,” she whispered, as a smile still managed to cross her face.

Reaching up, Arthur's rough-skinned but surprisingly gentle fingers wiped away the wet track's from Gwen's face. Leaning in, he then kissed away the fresh tears that had begun to fall from her eyes before once again pulling her close to him to press his lips to her brow. He squeezed her to him tightly and Gwen squeezed back this time just as hard as she buried her face into his warm chest, closing her eyes at the pleasant feel of his warmth around her.

“I thought that you had left when I found that you were gone. I thought that I had pushed you away and lost you for good or that something terrible had happened,” Arthur murmured against her hair. “I was frightened, Guinevere, and there has only been one other time where I have been that afraid before, and that was when Hengist had taken you and I feared that I wouldn't reach you before he hurt you.”

Smiling into Arthur's chest, Gwen let out a small giggle. “You were really afraid...for me?” she questioned, lifting her head to look back into his eyes.

“Of course I was,” Arthur said as a smile began to touch his lips as well. “A man has the right to be afraid when he comes close to losing one of his prized possessions,” he then said arrogantly.

Gwen frowned. “I am not your possession, Arthur,” she said sternly, though she still allowed him to pull her to him.

“I'm not saying that you are, Guinevere, but you do have something of mine that I would not be very happy to lose,” he replied somewhat meekly.

Gwen furrowed her brow with confusion. “I have no knowledge of possessing anything of value to you, Arthur,” she said quietly though she tried to think back to the time he had stayed with her to try and think of anything he may have left behind. He had left behind the mattress that Merlin had brought, but she did not think it very valuable, nor did she think he would care so much about such a simple thing when the castle was full of them. “Are you certain that I possess this item of yours?”

“I haven't been more sure of anything in my life. I gave it to you a while back” he whispered with his lips still brushing against her dark skin as he spoke, but he then looked down at her with a frown, though she could tell that he was on the verge of laughing. “Guinevere, are you saying that you've lost it already?”

Gwen shook her head. “You have not given me anything, Arthur! I would have taken very good care of anything that you should have given me before,” she said as she looked down at the ground, concentrating on going through every memory that she had with Arthur to find one where he had given her anything.

Arthur chuckled out loud this time, his laughter echoing into the empty night air. “Well, I suppose that you did not care for it if you didn't even know that you had it,” he said teasingly. “Maybe I gave my prized possession to the wrong person,” he then said, giving her a mock frown.

“But I don't remember you giving me anything, Arthur. I'm not one to lose precious things, and if you would have given me anything, I would have considered it very precious to me!” Gwen exclaimed, flustered by the fact that she still did not know what he was talking about and the fact that she knew that he was now teasing her. “And I would appreciate if you would stop teasing me!” she then cried, folding her arms stubbornly across her chest.

Sighing, Arthur reached out and took her hand in his, raising it to his lips to kiss her knuckles as a soothing gesture. He then took it and lowered it to his chest, pressing it against his breast so that she could feel his heart beating through the cloth of his tunic. “Do you feel that beating?” he asked her softly.

Still flustered Gwen rolled her eyes. “Of course I can!” she answered shortly. “It's your heart.”

“Yes, it's my heart,” Arthur confirmed, “but then again, it's not really my heart in there that you're feeling.”

Thinking that he was still teasing her, Gwen frowned. “Then what is it?” she demanded.

“It's the ghost of what my heart used to be. My real heart is long gone,” he said quietly, looking down at her hand.

“And where would it be then, Arthur?” Gwen questioned doubtfully.

“I gave it to you a long time ago, Guinevere,” Arthur said seriously, clasping both of his hands over her hand that was still pressed to his chest. “It has been with you the entire time.”

Looking up into his face, all of Gwen's frustration suddenly disappeared, replaced by a strong swelling in her heart that she knew was her love for him. Before she could stop them, tears suddenly began to course down her dark face again. “You're horrible, Arthur Pendragon!” she cried out as she gently slapped his arm, thinking the completely opposite of what she had just said as she did it. She proved as much when she go up on her tip-toes to press a kiss to his cheek.

Arthur feigned being hurt as he rubbed the spot where she had slapped him. “Is this what I get for confiding in you?” he teased. “Maybe I really was wrong when I gave you my heart,” he then said, furrowing his brow. He, too, proved he was lying however, when he once again pulled her back to him so that he could wipe the tears from her cheeks. “I wasn't teasing you, I was was merely telling you thetruth, and I reckoned its about time you knew it.”

Reaching up, Gwen placed her hand on Arthur's cheek as he brought his head down and pressed his brow to hers. Closing her eyes, the handmaiden etched every detail of this memory into her head for future references, making sure to record the way butterflies filled her stomach and the way her heart was pounding in her chest as if yearning to break out and touch him, but as she was doing so, she came to a sudden realization that Arthur had basically declared his love for her, but she had not declared hers yet which had been her plan from the beginning.

She opened her eyes to find that Arthur's eyes were still closed. Pulling her brow away from his, she lifted her face up and pressed her lips to the side of Arthur's mouth, which caused the prince to finally open his eyes. He grinned down at her as he took both of her hands in his and brought them up between them.

“Before we go back inside, Arthur, I should tell you that I have always cared for you a great deal. I'm proud to call you my friend as well as my-”

“My lord, are you out here?” a voice suddenly called from the door leading into the Hall.

Gwen immediately pulled away from Arthur at the sound of the stranger as a blush crept upon her cheeks. Arthur grinned at her embarrassment before grabbing her hand quickly and placing a kiss on her knuckles. Releasing it, he then turned towards the one who was intruding on their little moment. “I'm here,” he called out, stepping out of the shadows to reveal himself.

“Oh, thank goodness,” the voice replied, and Gwen immediately realized that the voice belonged to Sir Leon. “Your father sent me to look for you, my lord. He wishes to make an announcement, and he wishes for you to be there.”

“Thank you. I will be in shortly,” Arthur replied, blocking Gwen from Sir Leon's view. “Be sure to relay the message.”

Sir Leon nodded and disappeared into the castle while Arthur returned back to Gwen. He took her hands back into his, pulling her to him to press kisses on both of her eyelids.

“Arthur, your father is most likely waiting for you,” Gwen said softly as she opened her eyes and looked up into his face. “Do you know what he's announcing?”

Arthur shrugged. “I've already told him that I refuse to marry Amelia or anyone else he wishes to join me with. I don't have the faintest idea, but I highly doubt that it's anything pertaining to me.”

“Then go and find out what it is,” Gwen said with a large smile on her lips as she reached up on her tip-toes to press another kiss to his cheek, though he tried to turn his face to get one on the lips. “I shall be waiting here for you afterwords, and maybe you will get a proper kiss then,” she said, gently trying to push him on his way.

“I expect you to keep your word,” Arthur called to her as he started to back away from her to return to the hall. He still clutched her hands in his, however, as if he didn't want to lose them. He reluctantly let go when she gently pulled them out of his grasp with a huff at his playfulness. He grinned back at her before turning around and sliding into the door. Before closing it behind him, however, he stopped and admired his love's figure against the full moon's light, and realized just how beautiful she looked in the dress, and how he had forgotten to tell her so. He had not seen the dress before, but he hoped that she would wear it more often. He tried to remind himself to tell her these thoughts when he returned to her.”

“Have you seen Gwen?” Merlin asked as he saw Arthur approach him on his way to the front table. The young wizard had been horrified to find his friend gone from his side. He had looked down to tell her that he had seen a clear path for them to take to Morgana only to find that Gwen was not there. He had only been even more horrified when he found just how difficult it was for him to move, let alone search for her through the crowd.

Arthur had a large smile on his face as he brushed by Merlin to get to his father's table. “She's fine, no thanks to you,” he called to his servant over his shoulder. “Do you realize how easy it was to take her away from you? You are truly a pathetic guard, Merlin.”

Merlin frowned despite the relief he felt in his chest at the news of Gwen being safe. “Where is she? Is she here? Is she safe?” he asked the prince.

“She's most likely safer alone than she is with you, Merlin, but she's out on the balcony if you must know,” Arthur replied as he looked at the young man over his shoulder. “I suppose you should go out there and keep her company while I'm with my father.”

Turning his back to Arthur, Merlin rolled his eyes at the prince's sarcasm though he found himself soon groaning as he realized how the doors for the balcony were on the opposite side of the room, on the other side of the crowd. He had the urge to use magic to part the crowd like the red sea, but that obviously wasn't going to be looked upon favorably with these people. Groaning once more, he pushed his way past one of the men on the edge while thinking: one down, fifty more to go.

Merlin managed to make his way halfway through the sea of people when he heard Uther begin to pound on the table, calling for everyone's attention. Almost immediately, the room grew silent, as all pointed their gazes to the king at the front table with Arthur standing at his left and Morgana at Arthur's left. There was another man sitting in the honored seat at Uther's right though Merlin didn't know who the man was, though he wasn't paying too close attention to the stranger. His attention was still fixated on the door that led to the balcony though he did notice how the door had opened a crack at the sound of Uther's call to order. Merlin swore that he saw Gwen's head peek through from the outside.

“Welcome all!” Uther's voice boomed throughout the room. “Tonight, we celebrate the end of the summer seasons and to celebrate in the great harvest before the winter begins. I would like to make a special declaration of gratitude at this time however, for King Theodric of Bernicia, who has come all this way to begin talks of a possible union between our kingdoms,” he stated, as he held his glass to the unknown man on his right side. “We can only hope that such talks will be favorable to both of our kingdoms.”

Merlin froze as he heard that particular statement as he looked up at the front table to where Arthur stood. Though Uther was still talking to his people, Merlin didn't hear a word that he said and he was beginning to assume that Arthur was not either as he was seemingly glaring down at the table in front of him, his jaw clenched from the anger that he was feeling at his father's announcement. Though Uther had not come right out and said that he was marrying Arthur off to the Princess of Bernicia, everyone knew what the term 'union' meant for their future king of Camelot. Morgana had been right when she had said that Uther was very much capable of forcing Arthur into the union despite Arthur's feelings about a certain handmaiden.

Thinking of the handmaiden, Merlin looked back up at the balcony door, searching for Gwen, but he saw that the door had once again been closed completely. Knowing that she would have been as broken as Arthur at such an announcement, Merlin gathered his strength to push more people aside, caring not that they were of a position far higher than his as he shoved past them, ignoring their outraged cries. He knew that he needed to get to her, if not to check on her welfare then to just comfort her. He knew that this particular blow was something that she definitely had not deserved nor expected, especially if Arthur's grin was any indicator of the kind of 'interaction' they had shared before.

Right before he exited the door, Merlin looked back to where Arthur stood and this surprise, find the prince staring right back at him. Find her, his eyes told Merlin. She'll need you.

Merlin nodded to him to tell him that he understood before slipping out the door and walking out onto the balcony and into the cool night air. It was dark, even with the light of the full moon shining down on them. Merlin couldn't see Gwen, aft first, as he walked further out, but then he heard a stifled sob near the parapet and turning towards the noise, he soon found her. She was crumpled into a ball on the ground, grabbing at her chest with her back trembling from the sobs that escaped her lips.

“Gwen,” Merlin whispered as he ran to her and knelt down beside her. “Gwen, are you all right?” he asked worriedly as he looked down at the hand at her chest. Though it was still difficult to see things clearly, he could vaguely make out the mark in the light of the moon. Compared to what it was before they had come here, he noticed that it had actually darkened.

“He...He told me that he had rejected his father's order to marry Amelia,” Gwen whispered as tears coursed down her cheeks. “He lied to me, Merlin!”

“No, Gwen, I don't think he knew what his father was going to do. If you had just seen his face after Uther made that declaration, you would have understood how upset he was. He'll still fight, Gwen, and he most likely will for you,” Merlin whispered as he wrapped his arms around her to help her up. “You shouldn't give up on him.”

Gwen looked up at Merlin with tear-filled eyes before glancing at one of the windows where loud cries of applause sounded at the end of Uther's speech. “Maybe Norena was right,” she whispered, her voice filled with such hopelessness and emptiness that Merlin felt as though his heart was breaking at the sound. “Maybe now I wish that I had never met him, either.”

Merlin shook his head. “No, no, don't say that, Gwen. You care about Arthur and he cares about you. He'll fight for you, I know he will. You just have to have faith in him,” he said firmly, lifting her face up to look at him. “If you give up on him, Gwen, I don't think he'll make it. He needs you just as much as you need him.”

“But it hurts too much, Merlin,” Gwen cried out weakly as she grasped at the mark again. “Every time I feel like we're getting somewhere, something like this always happens. Love isn't suppose to hurt this much, is it?”

“Sometimes it does, but that just makes it all the more sweeter when the fighting is over,” Merlin whispered. “You and Arthur have already defied the odds by falling for each other in the first place. If you can just keep going enough to where you can be together, it will all be worth it. I promise!”

Gwen did not say anything in response as she continued to clutch at her heart with both of her hands, her breathing ragged and labored. Her tear-filled eyes stared at the ground as she continued to hunch over, making her look even more defeated and broken. She looked positively awful compared to the bright-eyed beauty that he had escorted into the hall earlier that evening. She had fallen farther than she had ever fallen before, and Merlin feared that she may not be able to make the climb up again.

“I...I think we should go see Gaius. He should be able to help you with the pain,” Merlin said gently as he tightened his arm around her and used his other hand to place it under her elbow to help him lift her to her feet. “You're going to be all right, Gwen. I know you will be.”

Gwen was surprisingly able to rise to her feet with his aid, though she said nothing nor even looked at him as he started to lead her back towards the doors. Her body was still trembling against his, but she was walking still, which he considered somewhat of a victory. She hadn't completely given up on herself. There was hope still.

A few meters from the door, Gwen suddenly stopped. Merlin looked down at her with concern, thinking that she was just reluctant to be in the same room with Arthur, but when he saw the way her eyes were wide with fear, he grew deeply concerned. She was trembling even more, almost to the point that she was shaking. She was gasping as she turned around, her back now facing the door as she gazed out at the balcony.

“What's the matter, Gwen?” Merlin asked as he placed both hands on her arms to try and turn her back towards him. “C'mon, Gwen, let's go,” he then said as he tried to urge her more, using a little more force, but the handmaiden wouldn't budge. She was like a stone statue as she continued to stare into the darkness.

“Merlin,” she suddenly cried, her voice trembling as she continued to stare out past the parapet. “Merlin, She's here.”

Merlin's eyes widened as he followed her gaze, knowing who 'she' was. He could sense another presence there, and he knew that it was Norena, though he couldn't see her. He kicked himself for allowing Gwen to be in this position. They were alone, and it was dark, the perfect atmosphere for an attack. He never should have allowed her to leave his side to begin with. All of the mistakes from before suddenly flashed before his eyes.

“Gwen, we need to run to the door and get inside,” he said quietly, his voice barely a whisper. “When I say run...you turn and run as fast as you can. Okay?” he then whispered as he reached out his hand for her to grasp.

Gwen only nodded as she reached out and firmly clutched his hand in both of hers. She managed to tear her eyes away from the darkness to look up at Merlin's face, her eyes now dry but filled with fear.

“Run!” Merlin suddenly cried, pulling her with him as he made a mad dash for the door. He could hear Gwen's fast breathing as she stayed close behind him, their feet both carrying them as fast as they could towards the wooden doorway that would lead them to the light. It was right within their reach, but Merlin's senses were telling him that they were being closely pursued.

Merlin's hand pounded into the door as he pressed his body against it, Gwen doing the same as she came up beside him on his left side. Merlin let go of her hand momentarily to grab a hold of the handle to open the door wide, which forced Gwen to step back, but light soon leaked out of the open doorway and seeped out onto the balcony, revealing its emptiness to both of them. Norena was gone, but Merlin swore that he could still sense her presence in the shadows.

They were both breathing heavily as they stayed in the light, both hunching over themselves with their backs to the Hall as they tried to catch their breaths. Merlin grinned triumphantly at Gwen as he lifted his head to look up at her, and she smiled back at him as well, though her smile was shaky and small.

“Thank you,” Gwen said to him. “I'm glad you're on my si-”

A firm hand suddenly wrapped around her arm from behind, forcing a startled cry from her lips. Merlin's eyes widened as he turned, ready to unleash a spell on whomever was holding her, but when he turned he found himself facing Arthur, though the prince did not acknowledge him as he kept his eyes locked on Gwen.

“I need to talk to you,” he said quietly to her, pushing past Merlin for the second time that night as he moved to lead Gwen back out onto the balcony. Merlin watched in horror, trying to call out to Arthur not to take her out there as he saw Gwen's eyes-filled with terror-looking at him over Arthur's shoulder. Merlin moved to stop Arthur from what he was moving to do next, which was shut the door. Before he could get there however, Arthur had pushed the door shut with his free hand and had once again started to take Gwen further out onto the balcony.

“No, Arthur, get her back into the light!” Merlin cried as he moved to take Gwen's other hand to take her back to the doorway, the presence in the darkness suddenly growing stronger to him. “She needs to get back into the light! She's not safe here!”

“Get off of her, Merlin, I need to speak with her!” Arthur commanded irritably as he pulled Gwen's hand out of Merlin's grasp. “Stop being such an idiot!” he shouted.

“Arthur, Merlin's right. Norena is here. She's out here, and she's coming for me!” Gwen cried, fighting to free her hand from Arthur's. “Please...let me go. We all need to get back to the hall!”

“What in the bloody hell is going on? What's the matter with you two?” Arthur demanded, his voice filled with confusion and anger as he looked at Merlin trying to grab Gwen's hand while Gwen fought to release her other hand from Arthur's clutches. “I just want to talk...” he said through gritted teeth as he managed to hold onto Gwen's hand even tighter.

“Let go of her, you bloody ass!” Merlin cried out angrily. “You're going to get her killed!”

Gwen was still struggling to free herself from Arthur when she suddenly felt something cold wrap around her waist in a painful grip. Thinking that it was Arthur trying to take her away from Merlin, Gwen prepared herself to scream at him to unhand her, but when she looked at Arthur, she saw that both of his arms were occupied: one of them attached the the hand that he was grasping hers with and the other one attached the hand that was reaching for his sword that he was most likely ready to unsheathe to beat Merlin with as he continued to argue with him. She turned to Merlin to try and tell him to let go, but she saw that his arms were also occupied: one of them attached to the hand that was pulling on hers to free her from Arthur and the other reaching out for the door to pull it open to let the light back out to them.

Feeling the fear beginning to swirl around in her stomach, Gwen forced herself to look down at the restraint around her waist in the moonlight. She would have screamed at what she saw, but the hold around her was too tight that she barely had enough air to breathe. There was a shadowy tentacle wrapped around her waist and another snaking around her skirt, pulling it close around her knees as it bound her legs together. A third was snaking around her chest, right beneath her arms that were still being pulled by the two men that were completely oblivious of the danger that she was in.

Before Gwen could show or even tell the two bickering men about her dilemma, she felt another tentacle suddenly wrap around her shoulders. In a split second all of the tentacles tightened around her and pulled her forcefully backwards right towards the parapet and the long fall on the other side of it. She actually managed to scream, but it was cut off quite abruptly by another shadowy tentacle that wrapped itself around her mouth. She was helpless as she felt herself being pulled towards the balcony edge until her feet hit the top of the parapet and she felt herself go over, at which time she closed her eyes. She expected to feel the wind rushing past her as she fell towards the courtyard below where the celebration would most likely be drawn to an immediate close with her death against the cold pavement below. She waited and waited but felt nothing. Opening her eyes, she found herself hovering over the people far below who were oblivious to her presence above them, her feet touching nothing but air as the tentacles continued to hold her.

Looking back at the balcony, Gwen saw Arthur and Merlin leaning against the edge, Arthur looking like he was ready to jump right over it to try and get to her while Merlin was...Merlin was mumbling something under his breath as he held his hand out. She swore that his eyes glowed golden in the moonlight, though she told herself that it was just her imagination, but just as she thought that, she felt the tentacles loosen a fraction and felt herself beginning to slip.

'Don't try anything, boy, or she'll fall and you'll kill her,' Gwen heard Norena's voice whisper from behind, right next to her ear.

“Let her go, witch!” Arthur called out through gritted teeth as he unsheathed his sword. “If you let her go, I'll let your death be quick and swift. Harm a hair on her head, and I'll make you wish that your soul had gone to hell when you died the first time.”

'Oh, I'm no witch, little princeling,' Norena said as she let out a cackle right next to Gwen's ear that scoured Gwen's flesh with goose bumps. 'But you'll wish I was one when I get through with you and your kingdom. For now, however, I'll settle on my current prize...your beloved handmaiden.'

Gwen watched her love's eyes suddenly look upon her and she saw the fear within them. That look alone hurt her more than anything than she had ever felt before. All of the misery she had experienced the past few months and the pain she had experienced from Norena was nothing compared to the sorrow she felt at seeing the look of horror in Arthur's eyes. Gwen wanted to reach out and touch him, comfort him , and tell him that it was all right, but she was gagged and restrained so that she could only watch as the man she loved suffered at the helplessness he was forced to face. All of the pity and sympathy that Gwen had felt for Norena before suddenly vanished in that instant and was immediately replaced by a deep hatred.

As if sensing Gwen's thoughts, Norena again laughed out loud. 'Don't worry, Guinevere, his suffering will end soon enough. Come along, now.'

Gwen found the restraints squeezing her so tight now that she couldn't breathe and there was no way she could break free. The cold was surrounding her rapidly and closing her eyes, she felt her consciousness beginning to leave. Before she faded completely, however, she opened her eyes one last time to meet Arthur's. With that final look, she tried to convey to Arthur what she could not convey before: her love, but at the look of sorrow in his eyes, she knew that she had failed. She felt herself fading again and closed her eyes. Before she descended completely into the darkness, however, Gwen heard Arthur's voice cry out to her.

'Hold on, Guinevere!' she heard him yell. 'I'll find you!'