Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer


- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Characters

Blake

Blake-Kiersten, six years old, budding feminist and environmentalist

BJ

Brian Keith Jr., aka B.J., six years old, spokesperson for his siblings, every day gentleman, and teachers pet

Balencia

Balencia Kortney, three years old, can't wait to go to school and loves to hang out with daddy

Baron

Baron-Kyle, eighteen months old, learning to potty

--*--

Nicole

Nicole America, stay at home mother of four, resident disciplinarian

Brian

Brian Keith Sr., owner/operator of Santi Motors, resident push-over

--*--

Special appearance by

Peyton

Peyton Frasard, god mother to Blake and B.J., aka 'Auntee'




Author's Chapter Notes:
Six year old twins Blake Kiersten and Brian Jr. have decided to ditch tradtion, and opt for saving a hippo--one each.  Nicole and Brian are in the trenches trying to come up with a way to save their children's faith in Santa Claus while remaining practical.


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas© by SPAC

"What's the matter Pumpkin?"  Brian asked his six year old daughter Blake-Kiersten as she came desolately towards her father wearing a huge frown on her cute little face.   Dressed in her plaid uniform skirt, white blouse with a Peter Pan collar, she woefully dragged her pink back pack behind her.  She didn't mean to ignore her daddy but she was still seething.  Twin brother Brian Jr., whom everyone calls B.J., now instead of L.B. chimed right in as usual speaking for the silent fury better known as his twin sister.

"She's mad Daddy because Jason Weems told her there's no Santa Claus." 

"What?  Is that true Blake?"  Brian asked his daughter whose eyes began to well with tears.  Sniffling and wiping her face with the back of her hand she walked straight to Brian's loving and protective arms.  Reaching down to help her with her coat he stopped short and scooped her into a warm comforting embrace.  There she laid her soft cheek against his shoulder and sobbed her eyes out.   "There, Baby Girl."  He kissed her forehead as B.J. shook his head, knowing his father had no chance of sanity with Blake-Kiersten.   Her tears would hopefully serve as the padding for what was about to come next.

The other children were still busy about their school work, not quiet but definitely not loud.   They were having what their teacher called an organized chaos while working on their Christmas projects for the school's Christmas pageant.  

"Mr. Santi..."  Ms. George the twin's first grade homeroom teacher waved Brian over to discuss the matter that transpired earlier with Blake and her future husband Jason Weems, while B.J. sat introspectively on the bench seat in the coat room to put on his boots.   "...May I speak with you for a few moments?  I don't wish to keep you but I think we need to address an issue that happened today with Blake-Kiersten and another student.

"Yes...I would too.  According to my son, some kid told her there was no Santa Claus."  Brian defended his daughters honor.

Nicole was back at home with three year old Balencia Kortney and eighteen month old Baron Kyle.  Brian opted to pick the twins up a little early from school to take them to do some Christmas shopping.   His daughter's tears meant she'd be getting a little extra TLC by Brian's calculations.   He was brimming to hear just how Ms. George handled the situation.   Seeing his daughter's tears spoke volumes that not much had been done to Blake's satisfaction.

"Why, that was part of it.   But the issue that I have was how Blake handled it.  She punched a student for simply disagreeing with her.  I'm sure that you and her mother would like to discuss with Blake how to handle oneself when someone disagrees with her.  Now I've spoken with both her and Jason, they apologized but she wasn't too happy with having to sit in time out."

Brian wasn't interested in much else Ms. George had to say.  His ears closed practically as Blake sniffled and tucked her head in the crook of her daddy's neck.   But he felt the need to make sure that Blake's feelings about the Santa-gate hadn't gone unanswered.   "Blake..." he called to her as she milked every morsel of his affection for all it was worth.   He tried pulling her off from her tight grasp, but she was done with the matter once she took that seat in the time-out chair.   "Blake, do you have something to say about this?"  Brian spoke directly into her ear.   B.J. dressed in full winter gear now had a good day.  He even finished all of his work, concluding with a gold star on his forehead.  But Blake refused to work and put her head down for the rest of the afternoon.   Shaking her head no, she wasn't open to speak to Ms. George, who she believed had punished her needlessly.

Ms. George kept a watchful eye on the group, but her Teacher Aide Mrs. Sherpa worked directly in contact with the students allowing her to have a brief conference with Brian.  

"Blake..."  Brian urged her to speak again.  She turned her head, shaking once again from left to right.  Her feelings were straightforward.   But Brian wanted her to address her accuser.  Blake's handling of adversity was to withdraw.   Brian didn't like that she felt powerless and unheard, which why she was silent and afraid that no one was listening to her side anyway.

Finally "No" puffed from her pouted lips as she lifted her head and tucked it back.   She was still upset with her teacher and not a single word more followed her final answer.

"I'll take care of it Ms. George."  Brian gave an assured smile to the young teacher who winked at Brian Jr. as he walked passed her.  

***

"Daddy said we're going to see Santa Claus Blake so don't worry."  B.J. tried to console his sister.   Her tears were dried.  Her mood still a little somber, but knowing she was going to Dave and Buster's after Christmas shopping made her smile.   She wasn't sure what to do.  Her world was crashing around her, she thought.  How could this be?  No Santa Claus?  

She looked at her brother who was playing with his dinosaur briefly then towards the front of the SUV.   "Daddy, is it true?  Is what that fathead Jason Weems said true?"  Blake spoke from the back seat.

"Well Baby Girl, no name calling.  But the truth is everyone believes what they want to believe.  I think Santa Claus means something different to everyone."

"Is the Santa at Lakeside Mall the same one that's coming to our house daddy?"  B.J. asked.

Brian braced the wheel as he made the Michigan U-Turn eyeing the traffic to his right while stopping at the red light, thumping the steering wheel and wishing Nicole was here to help.   She was so good with the kids when it came to preserving the few great things left about childhood.   Blake-Kiersten and B.J. were six years old now and growing up so fast, he thought.   He knew the day would come that some child would blurt out that Santa was a myth.   He tried to recall the explanation he and Nicole resided with telling their children on this very day, without having them destroy the fantasy for their younger sister and brother.

"Well, the truth is Blake, Santa Claus...well..."  Brian pondered confused.  He knew driving, not explaining the reality of the myth as the light turned green, he pulled across the intersection right into the mall parking lot.   Turning right and surveying for a spot in their favorite section to park, he coasted along with her question still unanswered.  Her patience in tack, she trained her large brown eyes over the enormous parking lot filled with cars and mountains of dirty snow.

"Oh...Daddy, there's one."  Blake pointed her finger to a spot near the food court entrance, although Brian had a different idea in mind.

"I was thinking we should park near the other side, that way we're closer to the Dave and Buster's route.  This lot is full, lots of shoppers."

"Ok. Sure Daddy..."  Blake replied, looking at her Trade Book.

"Daddy..."  B.J. stopped to look around, trusting his dad to find them safely inside the mall.   He continued to speak in monotones to his action figure.   "...are we buying Mommy's present today?"

"Yep, we sure are."  Brian replied.   B.J. smiled. 

"I think we should get Mommy a new pair of earrings."  Blake suggested.

"That's all, what else?"  Brian was glad to have this subject take the place of the former.  But knowing Blake, she'd start it up again and serve him a punishing reminder that he'd forgotten to answer her previous question timely manner.

"Oh, I know Daddy..."  B.J. shouted over their voices and thoughts.   "...a new cell phone."

"There's nothing wrong with Mommy's cell phone B.J.   She just needs a pocket to keep it in."

"Well...a new pocket then." B.J. corrected.

"I think they are both good ideas."  Brian pulled into the lot near Kohl's department store which sat parallel the exit on Schoennerr Road which would grant them an easier access to the highway, and right in the thrust towards their final venue Dave and Buster's.

"I'm hungry daddy!"  Blake shouted.   "Can we eat first?  Oh, I want a cookie."

"You can't have a cookie Blake; Mommy said no junk before dinner."  B.J. monitoring commenced.

Rolling her eyes at her twin, Blake frowned for his meddling.   She was seconds away from negotiating a cookie out of her dad, but there went B.J. always messing up her game.   Brian knew he was putty in her hands.   A cookie she'd get without much arm twisting but ice cream was out of the question.   Often, Brian relied on his older son and namesake, the less sympathetic B.J. to help keep her in line for him, who was much better at giving it straight to Blake where he faltered.   Besides, What Nicole didn't know wouldn't hurt, right? 

***

It was a half hour from the time they shopped up to now.   The moment Blake saw the line to the Santa's Village in the center of the mall her mind spun to her earlier question that Brian had pushed out of his immediate sight.

"Daddy!"  She put her hands on her hips.   Brian had placed all of their wraps in a rented locker near the entry way, allowing the kids the freedom to move about without the weight of coats and boots.   "There's Santa Claus, I'm going to ask him if he's real!"  And she marched ahead of the kids standing in line for their photo with the jolly red suited man.  

"Blake..."  Brian called to his daughter.  

***

Brian collected many a frowns and terse looks from parents who'd swear he was a pushover for letting the little girl with long brown swaying hair and enough sass to rule the House of Representatives.   And now impatient Blake wasn't thinking about a taking a photo with Santa.  She had some real business to discuss with him.  

"Daddy?"  Blake called. 

Now Brian wasn't sure standing in the line for her to get to the man and ask him directly of his authenticity was a good idea.  

"Come, sit down Blake and B.J., daddy has something to tell you."

***

"Well, I'm asking for a hippo.   Today in Science Adventures we watched a movie about saving the hippo from expeenshon."

"Oh, you mean extinction?" Brian asked his precocious daughter.

"Yes...that what I said daddy.  Well, I want one, that's it, nothing else.  I have lots of dollies and clothes, and this year I want a hippopoddymust."

"Oh gawd...Nicole."  Brian stroked his hand over his head.   These were his children, the oldest of the bunch, best known as the adventurer and the thinker.

***

"Hi Baye, you guys on the way home yet from shopping for my Christmas present?"  Nicole asked, wiping the younger two children's fingers of paint.  At three years old, Balencia insisted she could do it all by herself, fanning her mother's careful attempts to wash the non-toxic medium from her tiny hand.   Nicole had been peaking all around the house, looking for her Christmas present during the toddlers naps and now deciding that after a carefully search, Brian's special outing today with Blake and B.J. must have spelled they were on ‘duty'.

"What makes you think we're shopping for you?"  Brian blushed, his eye on Blake and B.J. on the play place at Dave & Buster's.  Shopping took a wee bit longer than expected so the plans were changing rapidly as the day drew to a close, which meant he had to surprisingly satisfy the wincing and wiggling of his older two who finally won their giant pizza slice.  Nicole was getting a night off from cooking, as Brian's plans for bringing home rotisserie chicken with the special sides and mini corn bread loaves.  

"You guys are out pretty late, did you feed them?"  Nicole asked.

"Of course I did, sweetie."

"I'm not sure if they'll be in much mood for chicken, still full likely from the pizza they ate.  I hope they had salad with it..."

"...Nic, I'm their father..."

"Yeah...that's why I have to ask."  Nicole teased.

"And what does that mean?" Brian frowned.

"That means you spoil them senselessly, especially Blake.  That girl has you wrapped around her fingers.  Speaking of Blake, Ms. George called me about the incident."

"Oh, Nic..." Brian interrupted.

"Hang on one second Baye.  Baron, sit." Nicole pointed at the potty chair.  Ok, I'm back.  By the way, Balencia is mad at you, good luck with that one.   So, I'm sure you rewarded the little diva for punching that kid so I'm sure I'm going to have to have a talk with her."

"Nic...I took care of it.   Did you know that kid told her there was no Santa; it's an even call if you asked me."  Brian winked suspiciously in his daughter's direction.  She was every bit of her mother, which puzzled Brian as to why she and Nicole butted heads so often.

"Brian, we've debated this before but I won't fight about this now."  Nicole wiped Baron's bum with a Wet One.   "Good Boy!" She awarded him praise for doing his business in the pot instead of in his pants.  He was just starting his training and so a few mistakes were to be expected.  He was far better at taking to this than both she and Brian had anticipated.   Nicole considered his ceremonial training as the final feat to getting her children into independence.   "...I won't interrupt her play, but we have a meeting the moment she prances into this house.   And no more indulging her Brian, I'm serious."

"Sure, Baby.  Kiss Balencia for me.  I guess I have some of my own kissing and making up to do.  We'll see you guys soon."

***

"Blake, you still mad?"

"Leave me alone B.J."  She frowned wiping down the kitchen cabinets, which was fine by her.  The source of her frustration actually was that she'd be missing her favorite television show and would be straight off to bed after her bath, which would commence the second the last cabinet was wiped clean, per Nicole's inspection of course.

"You want some help?"  B.J. offered.

"No.  Go away!"  She pouted, still frustrated by the circumstance.  How it was that her daddy's punishment of not getting ice cream with her cookie earlier today didn't suffice confused her still.  

***

"Mommy?" B.J. paused to chat with Nicole on his way to the tub.  Blake who was first in line for the tub tonight was already in her gown and in slippers.   Writing her note to Santa Claus, while seated at her desk, she seemed to perk up for the first time since Nicole pulled the rug out from under her with after dinner chores.  

"Yes, son."  Nicole answered, dressing Baron for bed.  Balencia had been brooding from being excluded from the outing with her daddy, but finally had accepted his olive branch.  Who could resist the strawberries blown into your tummy?  Her giggles magically restored her faith in him, that he would wake her from a nap in the future, no matter how sleepy she seemed.  Sitting in his lap for a story from the largest book she could find, it seemed she was determined to make him pay and dearly.   Nicole told her one story book.   But forgot to insist on just one-read from a favorite holiday classic, ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas.

"I want a Hippo for Christmas too Mommy like Blake."  B.J. took a seat in the warm cloud of bubbles.  

"Whaaaat?"  Nicole glanced in his direction. 

"A hippopoddymust."  He repeated.  "I don't want any trucks, no train set, or video games.  Just a hippo."

"And where did you guys get this idea?"  Nicole pulled Baron's hands out from the soapy bath water she'd drawn for his older brother.

"Cut it out Baron!"  B.J. insisted but the baby wasn't finished playing in the bubbles yet, despite the fact he stood up the entire time Nicole bathed him, as if the water was too hot or was a swamp of snakes.   He was enjoying the suds.

Wiping Barron's hands before he could eat the cloud of bubbles on his fingers, she awaited an answer.

"See, today in school we watched Save the Hippos.   Blake said she was asking Santa Claus for a hippoddymust.  That's when Jason Weems laughed and told her there was no Santa Claus and she wasn't getting one.  Blake punched him real good.   But daddy said Santa Claus would try.  So I want one too mommy.  I'm going to write Santa a letter and ask him, ok?"

"Oh dear, two hippos?"  Nicole sighed.

***

The kids were all snuggled in their beds, while surely visions of sugar plums danced in their heads.  Well, accept for Blake and B.J. who were thinking of what they'd name their new hippopotami that Santa was surely to bring on Christmas morning.   Nicole applied a generous handful of lotion to her palm as Brian swiped it stealing the Bath and Body Shop Cotton Blossom cream in order to give his tired wife a therapeutic massage on her legs, the way he would always do when she was pregnant with his children.   Four kids they had now-two of each gender.   But no more to come since Nicole and Brian agreed to keep the number of their family even.   Brian would be happy with more, but he faithfully sided that his wife had served her labor duty when she gave birth to a very whopping big baby boy of 10lbs and 5ounces, sure to be their last.   Her tubes were tied, so there was no longer a need for protection and Brian was happy since that meant Nicole wouldn't try to get him to using a condom, something they hadn't partaken in since before she became pregnant with the twins.

"Thank you Baby."  Nicole's misty eyes enjoyed the simple pleasure her husband of six years was rewarding her with.   Placing a sexy, generous kiss on her lips and snaking his tongue inside of her mouth she knew he was in that frisky mood he would get in whenever he volunteered to lotion her body.

"You're...welcomed."  Brian smoothed his large palm over her thighs, cradling her in his arms.  Before he could enjoy another kiss from her she interrupted with the latest dilemma of the house.

"Did you know Blake and B.J. want hippos for Christmas?"

"H mm..."  Brian hummed, kissing her neck instead of her lips but loving the soft tender skin there almost as much as he loved her sweet lips.   "Yeah..."  Brian whispered, while taking up the thin layer of her gown as his palm eased over her hips.   Excited now, his attention was to her.  They could discuss the hippos later.   She was all he wanted now.

"No...sweetie.  I'm serious.  Now I feel bad.  I fussed at Blake, when it's really our fault she was in a fight over Santa Claus.  We shouldn't have taught them there was one.  Now tell me how you're going to pull this one off Saint Nick?"  Staring into his wife's eyes, pulling a strand of hair and tucking it behind her ear, Brian paused to listen knowing if he didn't he might as well forget about getting some loving tonight.

"So we're in mad trouble if there are no hippopotami under the tree on Christmas morning?" Brian sighed.

"You got it Santa, so what do you suggest?  I mean they really want to save the hippos, some video they watched about extinction.   Any ideas?"  Nicole rubbed her hand over her husband's cheek, sticking her finger in his dimples nearly identical to only B.J.'s.  The other children either had one dimple on either side of their cheek.  Brian cowered over her as she could feel his love below pressed against her leg.

"I don't know, I can't think while I'm in this condition.   Any suggestions as to how I can take care of this?"  He blushed.

***

The next morning Brian was all smiles.   But it wouldn't be for long.   Brian handed out lunches as Blake and B.J. headed to the laundry room to exit the house.   The auto start on the vehicle had it warmed.   Like most mornings little Balencia stood on guard in her footed pajama's as if her dad wouldn't get past without taking her along.  

"Balencia, come here."  Nicole called, but she continued her stalemate at the garage door where she sat with a few toys in between her legs singing.   Barron was fussing to get free from his high chair but still had a few more pancake squares to eat.  Nicole kissed his cheek encouraging him to continue.  The kiss seemed to work like a charm. 

"I'll call you from work."  Brian kissed his wife as Balencia looked on.   Surely she was going to work with daddy today.   He scooped her up and kissed her cheek.   She was happy so far, things were looking really good from her view.  

"Come, Balencia."  Nicole reached for her.

"Nooo...Mommy...nooo!"  She started her ritual tantrum.

"Wave bye to daddy" Nicole told her two toddlers.  From the door, she stepped out into the garage and made sure her school lads were fastened securely.  

"Bye Mommy..."

"Bye Blake, Bye B.J.  Be good in school today."  Nicole kissed each while a fussy Balencia sat on the step wiping her eyes.   She knew now that she'd be staying home another day with Mommy.

"Stop crying..." Nicole sauntered, taking her three year old by the hand, and motioning it to wave bye to her older siblings.   "...say bye to Blake and B.J."

Finally the garage door rose.   The light of the day shown through and Balencia waved bye unwilling.   Another day in her world, they were off to play with daddy and she was stuck with her baby brother and Mommy.

"Mommy, I wan go...I wan go Mommy." Balencia cried.

"Not this time sweetie, you and Baron will go with me and Auntie Peyton later to Gymboree.  Ok." Nicole offered a cancellation prize that wasn't sufficient by Balencia's estimation.   Balencia sniffled, giggling with tears in her eyes when she heard her favorite purple dinosaur theme song pipe through the hall. 

"Um...I wan Juice?"  She begged, preparing for her party with Barney.

Nicole prepared two juice cups, one for both Balencia and Baron.   She had an idea about the Hippo situation, but she was sure she'd need more help.   Hopefully between Brian, Peyton, and Jonathan something would come together, else they'd lose their credibility.

***

"Peyton, this is Blake we're talking about.  Now you know that she's the instigator of this entire hippopotamus thing."  Nicole hadn't spoken to Brian yet with her ideas for this Christmas.  Whatever it would be, she anticipated that it would be interesting. 

"And toy hippos won't do?"  Peyton asked.

"You don't think we thought of that?  Girl, please.  They said they don't want toys, just Hippos.   They've even picked out names for them and everything."  Nicole explained.

"Well there is no way you're getting one hippopotamus, let alone two.  Where will they sleep?  What will you feed them?"  Peyton teased.

"You don't say!  I haven't even considered that."  Nicole joked.

"I'm merely saying you guys have some interesting kids.  Where do they come up with this stuff?"  Peyton laughed as they dressed the toddlers for a day of shopping and playtime at Gymboree.

***

Christmas 2006

Blake-Kiersten and B.J. excitedly opened up their gifts.  Ripping into packages, tearing off ribbons, and by the time the last doll and final video game made its appearance, Brian and Nicole looked at each other, then glimpsed at their two oldest children whose eyes were wearing surprise, but not necessarily disappointment.   Brian winked at his wife.  

"One last gift..." Nicole said handing them each a large white envelope addressed from the World Animal Foundation.  

"What's this Mommy?" B.J. asked.

"Daddy, it's a picture of my hippo!"  Blake replied excitedly.

"Sure is.  And look at the certificate."  Brian and Nicole helped Blake and B.J. read their adoption certificates.  Mason was the name B.J. chose for his hippo and Starr was the name Blake chose for hers.   Brian pressed play on the remote and the DVD cued up displaying an important message from the World Animal Foundation.

"Thank you Blake-Kiersten and Brian Keith Jr. for adopting a Hippo.  Because your Hippo cannot live in your home, we'll be happy to take care of them for you.   Inside your packets you will find a photo of your hippo, a certificate of adoption, and a fact sheet that will tell you all about your hippo."  The park ranger spoke.

The kids were all smiles and giggles.  They didn't even question the fact that there hippo's couldn't live with them as they accepted that it was best that they lived in their natural water environment.  

"I have a hippo Blake." said B.J.

"I have one too B.J." said Blake.

"Thanks Mommy.  Thank you Daddy."  The kids hugged their parents and couldn't be happier if there were two hippos standing in their very own living room.   Christmas was saved.  Santa's honor was restored.  And for yet another year it was a blessed holiday where Brian and Nicole could give generously to their children, but also give them the gift of giving back to both the animal kingdom and the environment.

The End






Chapter End Notes:

Christmas