Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter 17

An awake and somewhat alert Keesha greeted her daughter when she entered the room.

"Mama! I'm so happy you're awake. Are you feeling better?"

"Yes."

Julianna gently hugged her mother before taking a seat.

"Dr. Williams said you'll be out of ICU tomorrow."

"I heard that, too, from one of the nurses."

"Maybe you'll be able to come home soon."

"I hope so. Have you been staying at the house by yourself?"

Julianna shook her head. "A.J. stayed with me last night. Dara and Justus are here, too."

"How's that going?" Keesha asked, her brow furrowing.

Her daughter shrugged. "Not too bad, considering. We're all going to dinner after we leave here."

Keesha couldn't hide her surprise.

"You are our main concern, Mama."

*~*

Julianna's words were confirmed by Dara and Justus when they each spent a few minutes with her. Dara assured her dearest friend that Justus and A.J. were on their best behavior, for her sake and the sake of her daughter.

"You're not going to fight with A.J., right?" Keesha asked Justus, when it was his turn to visit.

Justus laughed. "There will be no fighting."

"I'm serious," she said, with a spurt of energy that surprised them both. "You know how I feel, Justus. I need you to respect my wishes."

"I do, Keesha. Besides, he doesn't seem to be causing any trouble. He actually appears to be helping."

"Don't sound so shocked."

"But I am. I have to be honest, don't I?"

"I suppose. I just want things to be calm for Julianna's sake."

"They are. You don't have to worry, Keesha. We all want the same thing: for you to get better."

*~*

A.J. smiled when he entered Keesha's room and saw that she was feeling better. At her request, he reassured her that everything was fine on the home front.

"Julianna played the piano and sang for me last night."

Again, Keesha couldn't hide her surprise.

"She did? A.J., that's wonderful. She must be feeling comfortable around you. She doesn't sing for just anybody. I think she really likes you."

"We have been getting to know each other better. She's asking me questions and letting me ask her questions."

"She told me she read a magazine that had an interview with you. I think it must have made a huge impact on her."

"We talked about it. What she read bothered her."

"What did the article say?"

"The guy wanted me to talk candidly about my alcoholism and what I went through, so I did. I think some of the images and scenes I described disturbed Julianna a lot, but they were all true, and I told her that."

"It seems to have brought her closer to you and for that, I'm grateful."

"Me, too. I love her, Keesha. I know she may never love me, but I cannot imagine her not being in my life. When I found out that Michael wasn't my son, I gave up hope of ever becoming a father. I just figured it wasn't meant to be, and that the world would probably be better off if I didn't father any children."

"That sounds like the old A.J. talking," Keesha gently admonished.

"Yeah, I know, but I can't help it. He surfaces every once in a while. Finding out about Julianna has been one of the best things to ever happen to me. When she answered the door that first time, somehow I knew she was mine, even though I had no confirmation. I just knew Julianna was my daughter. Thank you, Keesha, for allowing me into her life."

"I didn't know what to expect," Keesha admitted. "I struggled with my guilt for so many years, but I told myself I was doing the right thing. You had moved on, and I needed to do the same. When Justus told me about what happened to Sonny and Carly and how the rumor around town was that you were not Michael's father, I figured you would be devastated. I wondered if news like that would make you start drinking again. I was happy for you, A.J., when Justus told me you seemed to be taking the truth in stride. But I still didn't know if I should bring you into Julianna's life. When I got sick, then I knew I had to."

"I've come to terms with your reasons, Keesha. I wish I could've been a part of Julianna's life earlier, but I know I wasn't in a good place for a long time. I wouldn't have wanted her to have witnessed that part of my life. I'm sorry it took you getting sick to give me this chance, but I am grateful for every moment I have. With both of you."

"I have a confession to make. One thing I never told Julianna about was Michael. I thought it would only add to her resentment of you. But now I think it would help her to understand you even more if you told her about Michael. She would see that you have always wanted to be a father, and she'll know, without a doubt, that she is the one who has made that possible for you. What do you think, A.J.? I think Julianna should know about Michael. Don't you?"