Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter 19

When the foursome arrived at the hospital the next morning, they learned that Keesha had been moved to a regular room. Julianna visited first, followed by Dara and Justus, and then A.J.

"You're looking better and better," he marveled.

"I'm feeling much better. Now I just want to go home."

A.J. nodded in understanding.

"Justus mentioned about us talking to my doctor regarding my liver transplant. He said GH is doing them?"

"Yes. We never got to discuss it, but the contacts I met with told me GH has the capability, and when I talked to Nikolas Cassadine, he confirmed it. I didn't mention your name, but I explained the situation to him. He said GH could accommodate you."

"What does that mean for the hospital in Manhattan that Dr. Williams is associated with? This all seems so weird."

"The decision is yours, Keesha, but at least you would be in familiar surroundings, and it would give you another option. I think the hospital in Manhattan would still be a choice, too."

"That's what Justus said, too. He liked the idea of including GH since he and Dara live there, but I don't know..."

"Do you want to talk to your doctor about it?"

"I guess we should," she decided. "Wow, Port Charles. I never thought I would ever go back there, but if it's a viable option, I know I can't rule it out."

Dr. Williams' arrival ended their conversation. After he examined Keesha, she told him she and her family would like to talk to him about her liver transplant. He said he had some time right then, and he called the others into the room.

Justus explained about General Hospital being able to perform liver transplants and asked for the doctor's advice.

"It's imperative that we explore every avenue," he said. "Knowing that another hospital would be available to Keesha helps her chances. I have to admit that the hospital I am associated with in Manhattan has Keesha on a waiting list to be admitted for the transplant in addition to being on the list for a new liver. There just are not that many livers that become available."

"I believe," A.J. spoke up, "General Hospital would be able to accommodate her immediately if a liver became available and she was a match."

"That's good to know," Dr. Williams said. "I can tell you, however, that at this moment, Keesha is not strong enough to travel and certainly not strong enough to withstand the operation. Having said that, I don't mind calling General Hospital and talking to the one in charge. If we can work something out and the person is aware that Keesha is a candidate, I have no problem with her going to Port Charles if she is strong enough. What do you think, Keesha? Should I call General Hospital and let them know you would like to be considered as a candidate?"

All eyes turned to Keesha, who still was not comfortable with the idea of traveling to Port Charles. But, she reasoned, what choice did she have?

"Yes," she finally said. "I think I shouldn't pass up this opportunity."

"Very well. Give me the name and the number of who I need to talk to, and I will let that person know Keesha's decision. I'll let you know what I find out."

Once Dr. Williams had left the room, Dara approached her friend's bedside.

"I think you made the right decision, girlfriend. Manhattan is a crazy place. Who knows if you would even be admitted to the hospital if they told you they have a liver? I think GH will take good care of you."

"I hope you're right," she said, her doubts lingering. "I wanted this done privately, but I don't think that's possible in Port Charles."

*~*

When Dr. Williams checked on Keesha that afternoon, he told her he had talked to Dr. Ellen Burgess-Harmon, who said she would add Keesha's name to their list.

"I told her about your latest infection and the overall condition of your health," he continued. "She had a suggestion that I think you should consider."

"What did she say?"

"She said that, if you wanted, she would be agreeable to taking over as your primary physician through your transplant procedure. She suggested that once you were stronger and able to travel, it might be a good idea to move to Port Charles temporarily so that you would already be there if and when a liver became available. How do you feel about that?"

"Scared," Keesha said. "I know you, Doctor. You've been treating me since day one. While I'm sure Dr. Burgess-Harmon is excellent, I don't know her. I like my home, too. I really don't want to live in a hotel for who knows how long. What if a liver doesn't become available for months? I have to come back here. This is my home. This is where my daughter goes to school. We have no promises that I will ever have the operation, do we?"

"No, Keesha, I'm afraid we don't. But I think you need to look at this from a more positive angle. If one does become available from anywhere, you're there. The liver will be waiting for you. And as long as your health is stable, Dr. Burgess-Harmon can perform the surgery immediately. It can make a big difference."

"Do you think I should transfer my care to another physician?"

"Dr. Burgess-Harmon and I talked at length. She has a handle on your situation. Once you sign a release, I can send her your file. She would have access to the same information I've been working from. And I told her I'm available to consult."

"Going to Port Charles for surgery is one thing, but to move there, in the hopes that I will get a new liver, I don't know, Doctor. I just don't know how well I would do in that situation."

"Think about it," he advised. "You don't have to make a decision right this moment. Talk it over with your family. If you want to talk to Dr. Burgess-Harmon, she's available by phone. She also said she would be available for a video conference if you'd like to talk to her that way. You do have options, Keesha. I want to stress that as much as I can. This decision is yours. You need to do what will make you feel comfortable."

"I understand. Thank you, Dr. Williams. I appreciate everything you've done for me. I'll let you know what I decide."

"Sounds good. In the meantime, I can tell you that you're going to be released from here tomorrow."

"That's wonderful. Thank you."

"But you know the rules. You have to take it easy and get plenty of rest."

"I have been doing that, I promise I have."

"I believe you have, but I have to keep stressing it. If you're too weak, Keesha, no one is going to be able to perform surgery on you. And I definitely want you to have a transplant if that choice becomes available."

"Thank you. You know I want that, too."

He nodded. "Think about what I've said and talk to your family. I know they care about you and want only the best for you."

*~*

A week later, after much discussion with Dr. Williams, Dr. Burgess-Harmon, Julianna, Justus, Dara and A.J., Keesha made her decision. As soon as Dr. Williams gave her the okay, she and Julianna would be moving to Port Charles and staying with Dara and Justus until, hopefully soon, she would have the new liver she so desperately needed.