Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter 20

"Tell me, honestly, Julianna, how you feel about this move to Port Charles," Keesha said to her daughter, a day after the decision had been made, as they chatted in Keesha's bedroom.

"Mama, I want to do what's best for you. If that means living in Port Charles for a while, I can do that. It'll be nice to be with Dara and Justus. Are you unhappy with your decision?"

"No, I just wish I felt better about it. There's so much we need to do."

"I've already started taking care of a few things," she said. "A.J. has been helping me."

"You know you're too efficient for your own good."

Julianna laughed, and Keesha couldn't help but smile. Then her expression turned serious.

"Let's just hope this will all have been worth it in the end."

*~*

That night, after her mother had gone to sleep and A.J. had left to go to the hotel, Julianna and Michael chatted.

"You disappeared again," he said, relieved when he'd seen her face. "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah. I've been busy with my mother. I have some news for you."

"Tell me."

"I'm not sure when, but probably soon, we're going to be leaving here."

"What? Why? Where are you going?"

"Another doctor is taking over my mother's care, and we'll be moving to that town. I won't have access like I have here, but we can e-mail. I'll miss seeing you and talking with you, Michael."

"Julianna," he said, not willing to lose this precious connection in his life, "I know we said no names and places, but this is different. I'd like to know where you're going to be. I understand your mother's health comes first, but I'm really going to miss you. I don't want you to forget about me."

Julianna's sweet smile made Michael realize just how much he was going to miss seeing her lovely face and hearing her soft voice.

"I will never forget you, Michael," she assured him.

"Well, with moving to a new town, anything is possible. Jule, tell me where you're going. Please?"

"You're adorable when you beg," she teased. "It's a small town in upstate New York. I bet you've never heard of it."

"Try me. Believe it or not, I am familiar with upstate New York."

"Okay, how about this? Mama and I will soon be living in a town called Port Charles."

Michael almost fell off his chair.

"Port Charles?" he repeated, wanting to make sure he had heard correctly and was not hallucinating that she had said that name.

"Yes. See, I knew you wouldn't have heard of it. I guess I should look it up on the Internet to see what it has to offer."

"Um, Jule," he said, having recovered enough from the shock to speak, "you don't have to do that."

"Why? Oh, because it's probably too small to even be listed?"

"No, it's there, but you have an even better source than the Internet for this one."

"I do?"

"Yes," he said, taking a deep breath, "me."

"You? What do you mean, Michael? Are you an expert on small towns or something or just an expert at knowing things about Port Charles?"

"Considering I've lived in Port Charles all my life, you could say I am somewhat of an expert, yes."

Now it was Julianna who almost fell off her chair.

"Michael, you don't!"

"Julianna, I do!"

"But Michael...how...what...how is this possible?"

"Like they say, Jule, it's a small world."

"But...but...this changes everything!" she cried.

"What do you mean? Talk to me."

"I can't," she said, feeling herself growing numb. "This is too weird. If I had known...Michael, you probably know my family. You...you probably know my father!"

"Not if you don't want to tell me who they are. The same rules can apply."

But she was shaking her head. "I don't believe they can. Michael, this is...this is...so strange. I...I don't know what to say."

"Please say that you'll still be my friend."

She started thinking about what it would be like not to have Michael in her life, even as just an Internet pal, and she knew she couldn't do it. But at the same time, she wasn't ready to have all her secrets spilled to someone who more than likely knew her cousin, her mother's friends, her father, and possibly even her mother.

"I want to continue to be your friend, Michael."

She heard his sigh of relief.

"Thank you," he said.

She knew that he meant it.

"What should we do?" she asked. "How do we make this work?"

"I have an idea, Jule. Please think about it before you say 'yes' or 'no'."

"What's your idea?"

"Would it be so bad if, after you arrive in Port Charles, we make plans to meet?"