Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter 24

When Dara returned home from work, she found Keesha sitting on the patio, sipping lemonade while enjoying the early evening breeze.

"Where are Justus and Julianna?" Dara asked, after taking a seat and pouring herself a tall, cool glass of the refreshing beverage.

"Justus had to run a few errands, and Julianna went with him. They mentioned stopping at the grocery store. Julianna wanted to buy a few things so she could cook dinner."

"That child does not have to cook for us," Dara said. "I'll call Justus and tell him to pick something up from the Grille."

Dara returned a few minutes later and said that dinner was taken care of.

"Julianna loves to cook," Keesha reminded her best friend with a smile.

"I know, but I want her to relax as much as she can. I know this has not been easy on her."

"No, it hasn't," Keesha said and sighed. "She's been such a wonderful daughter. Sometimes, I can't believe how lucky I am."

"Luck has nothing to do with this," Dara declared. "Julianna is an exceptional girl because you raised her that way. Justus and I know how hard being a single parent has been for you, especially now, but you never wavered in your commitment and your love for your daughter. Julianna knows how much you love her, and that love and your strength are getting her through this."

"You and Justus being there for us has helped tremendously," Keesha said. "Especially since I know how much heartache you two have had to endure."

Dara took a moment to reflect on Keesha's words before she spoke. "I will admit that third miscarriage almost did me in. Almost did in our marriage. I was so depressed and so sick after it happened. I wasn't sure I would ever recover or feel normal again, whatever that is."

"I remember Justus calling to give me the sad news. I couldn't believe it. He was sooo worried about you, Dara, and he was grieving as well. I wish I could've done more."

"You were there for us, Keesha. You always have been. I've been wanting to tell you some news, but the time hasn't seemed right."

"I hope this is good news."

"It is," Dara said, her voice growing in excitement. "Justus and I have decided to adopt."

"Dara, that's wonderful! I'm so happy for you and my cousin. I wondered if that would be an option, but I knew you had to heal, physically and emotionally, from the miscarriages."

"You're right. I did have to heal. I told Justus I couldn't let myself get pregnant again. He totally understood. So a couple of weeks ago, we went to an adoption agency. We'll probably go to a few more. We also know an attorney who handles private adoptions, but we're not sure yet how we want to accomplish our goal. We just know we want to give a child, or maybe two, a good home."

Even in her weakened state, Keesha beamed. "I can't think of two people who deserve to be parents more than you and Justus. You don't know how happy this news makes me. My heart is filled with joy and love just thinking about the two of you becoming parents."

"We were honored and overwhelmed when you said you wanted Julianna to be with us. That's really when we start talking seriously about adoption. If I could have a daughter just like Julianna, I would be in heaven."

"You're so sweet," Keesha said.

"And I'm serious," Dara said, arching one eyebrow. "Has A.J. realized just how wonderful his daughter is, thanks to her mother's tireless work?"

"He does," Keesha said. "He loves her, Dara. He told me that, and I can also see it. I'm just wondering what it's going to take for Julianna to realize that she has a father who loves her and wants to be in her life."

*~*

Monica and Alan were eating a late dinner when she decided to broach the subject of A.J. and Keesha.

"You'll never guess who Bobbie talked to at the hospital today."

"Who?" Alan asked, mildly interested.

Being semi-retired, he didn't follow hospital gossip.

"Keesha."

"Really?" he said, showing some interest. "Is she living here?"

"Bobbie didn't know. Keesha didn't offer much in the way of explaining why she was at the hospital."

"That sounds like the Keesha I remember."

"Bobbie did meet her daughter, though."

"How wonderful that Keesha married and has a child. How old is her daughter?"

"Bobbie didn't say specifically, but she's a teen-ager. No mention of a husband, though."

"Doesn't mean she's not married."

"That's true. I believe I saw Keesha, too."

"You didn't get to talk to her?"

"No. She was walking away from me. But Alan, it was the strangest thing."

"What was?"

"I could have sworn I saw her walking with A.J.!"

"A.J., our son, A.J.?" Alan asked, his voice disbelieving.

"Yes!"

"And you didn't say anything, Monica?"

"I couldn't. I was so shocked, when I went to speak, no words would come out of my mouth."

Alan leaned in closer to his wife. "Do you really believe A.J. is here, in Port Charles, with Keesha and her daughter?"

Monica nodded emphatically. "I truly do."

"I wish there was some way we could confirm this news. I know Skye won't tell us anything."

"Neither will Justus nor Dara."

"I wish Bobbie or Tony had seen him."

"Me, too."

"We could hire someone to check it out for us."

"No, Alan. I want A.J. to contact us on his own. If he finds out we've been prying into his business, it's just going to make things worse. Don't you think, at some point, if he really is here, he'll *want* to see us?"

*~*

After the others had gone to bed for the night, Julianna used the computer in the den to check her e-mail. With excitement and a small amount of fear coursing through her, she opened the e-mail from Michael and quickly scanned it. She laughed at his humor and hit the "reply" button.

"You are so funny," she typed. "I miss seeing you. Meeting at the 'Chow Time' cafe sounds good. Thanks for the directions. Thanks for your cell phone number, too. Michael, I'm excited, nervous, anxious and a little scared to actually meet you. I hope you understand. If I can't make it, I'll call you on your cell phone. If you don't hear from me, that means I plan to be at the cafe near the university at 1:00 p.m. tomorrow. Goodnight."

And then she wrote a postscript.

"Just in case you need to call me, here is my cell phone number."

She typed in the number, read the e-mail one more time, and then hit "send," with the strongest feeling that nothing would be the same once she met her cyber pal, Michael.