Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter 31

Dara woke up early Saturday morning and decided to cook breakfast before Julianna beat her to it. She loved Keesha's daughter and wanted her to have a break from feeling like she had to run the household. She had never known such a mature and responsible fifteen year old. She thought about herself at fifteen and had to chuckle at the vast difference. But she understood it was overwhelming love for her mother that drove Julianna. Dara had nothing but admiration for the young girl.

As Dara cinched her maroon velour robe around her waist, she looked at her husband, who was still in dreamland. If we are fortunate enough to adopt, she told him silently, I pray we do as good a job raising our child or children as Keesha has done raising Julianna. She placed a soft kiss on her husband's cheek and whispered "I love you" before heading downstairs to the kitchen.

A surprise awaited Dara when she entered. Keesha, dressed in jeans and a print top, stood at the counter, without her walker, stirring pancake batter. The smell of freshly brewed coffee enticed her.

"What is this?" Dara asked in amazement, standing next to her friend.

"Good morning," Keesha said.

Her chocolate eyes twinkled when she smiled.

"Okay, girlfriend, you need to spill. That same goofy smile was on your face last night when I came home from work and all through dinner. And now, you are absolutely glowing. What is going on around here?"

"Pour yourself a cup of coffee, and I'll tell you."

The two sat at the kitchen table. Keesha took a sip of tea and then laughed when Dara arched one dark eyebrow as she waited impatiently for the details.

"This is crazy," Keesha said. "I know it is."

But she couldn't stop smiling.

"I feel like a schoolgirl."

"Because?" her friend asked, waiting for more.

Keesha gripped her mug with both hands as she spoke.

"A.J. came to see Julianna and me yesterday, and then we were alone for a while. Dara, our visit was...magical. I didn't realize it until yesterday, at least not fully, but I still have deep feelings for him. I just...I want to be with him. I told you, it's crazy. But he's awakened something in me I thought I had buried a long time ago."

"But, Keesha, is it wise to let yourself feel this way?"

"I'm sure it isn't," she said, staring at the amber liquid in her cup. "But I can't help what I feel. Or more to the point, I don't want to *change* what I feel."

"What about A.J.?" Dara asked. "What about Julianna?"

"A.J. was the one who asked me if it was wrong to feel the way he did. I told him it wasn't because I felt the same way. He also asked about what Julianna would think. I said I hoped she would understand."

"I'm happy for you," Dara said. "Please don't misunderstand me, Keesha. I know you and A.J. were once in love. I know that because of Julianna. But I also know what you're dealing with. Won't things get too complicated? For you?"

"I don't believe so. No one knows better than I do what I'm facing," Keesha said, her voice subdued. "And that's why yesterday was so special to me, and that's also why I want to spend as much time as I am physically able to with A.J. And my daughter. I want to live the rest of my life, Dara. And I want to share as much of it as I can with A.J."

Dara squeezed her friend's hand. "I understand, girlfriend. Believe me, I do."

*~*

A.J. called later that morning and spoke to Keesha and Julianna.

"If you would like to meet Emily and Zander and their kids, we have an invitation for dinner. Tonight."

"So soon?" Keesha asked. "Are you sure you're ready for this?"

"Yes. I visited them last night. Emily was great. Zander was a little cool towards me, but I understand. We never were what you would call friends. Their children are adorable. I think we'll have a nice time. What do you think? How are you feeling?"

"I feel pretty good," Keesha said.

"I don't want to cause you any stress," A.J. insisted.

"You're not. If Julianna wants to go, I say we plan to have dinner with Emily and Zander and their children. Tonight."

*~*

After writing in her journal that afternoon, Julianna called Michael on his cell phone.

"Hey," he said, happy to hear her voice. "Where are you?"

"At home. How about you?"

"I'm at my dad's."

"You must be busy. Call me later."

"No, it's fine. I'm here by myself. My dad's working, but Lucas is supposed to come by. We talked about going to see a movie. You sound weird, Jule. Is everything okay?"

"Yeah. I wanted you to know that I'm going to meet my aunt Emily and her family tonight. My mom, A.J. and I are going to their house for dinner."

"That is so awesome!" he said.

She could tell he was happy.

"You will like Emily. I guarantee it. Zander's pretty cool, too. And their kids are great. Bri is shy, but once she gets to know you, she'll follow you everywhere and ask you a million questions. About everything. Are you excited?"

"A little. Mostly, I'm nervous."

"Don't be nervous, Jule. Emily's the best. She'll love you. I know she will."

"I wish you were going to be there."

"You'll be fine," Michael encouraged. "I'm so happy for you that you get to meet Emily and her family. I'll be around, though, and I'll have my cell phone with me. If you need to talk, call me. Okay?"

"I will. Thanks, Michael. Thanks for being there for me."

"You're welcome. Call me when you get home, if you're not too tired. I want to hear all about it."

"I will. I'll probably be wired. Don't be surprised if you hear from me while we're still at Emily's."

"No problem. If you need to talk, Jule, for whatever reason, I want you to call me. Any time."

*~*

Looking very handsome wearing gray slacks, a white shirt, and a gray dinner jacket, A.J. arrived to pick up Keesha and Julianna. Keesha had opted to wear a mauve-colored dress while Julianna chose to wear a jean skirt with a white gauze top. She accessorized with gold hoop earrings and several gold bracelets. Both had curled their dark tresses.

"You both look lovely," A.J. complimented, his eyes shining brightly as he took in the appearances of Keesha and his daughter.

A.J. held Keesha's hands in his and kissed her lightly on the cheek.

The intimate gesture did not escape Julianna's questioning eyes.

"You look very nice, too," Keesha said.

The smile she had worn since A.J.'s previous visit grew wider. She couldn't help it. She enjoyed being around him.

"Are we leaving now?" Julianna asked.

"Whenever you're ready," A.J. said. "If Dara and Justus are here, I'd like to say 'hello'."

"They went out to dinner," Keesha explained. "They said to tell you 'hi'. I think we're ready."

"I am," Julianna said. "I just have to get the cake that I baked. I hope they all like chocolate."

"I know Emily does," A.J. said and laughed. "I'm sure the others do, too, especially the kids. Making dessert was so thoughtful of you, Julianna."

"Mama said she wanted to bring something to them, so I offered to bake."

A.J. carried the cake container to the car, and then he came back and assisted Keesha. Julianna followed. Once they had settled in, A.J. drove off. A little while later, they had arrived on Emily and Zander's doorstep.

Emily had been anticipating this dinner since the arrangements had been made the previous night, but when she opened the door to welcome them, she couldn't quite believe that A.J., Keesha, and Julianna were standing on her front porch, waiting to be escorted into her home.

It wasn't until they had been seated in the living room and the introductions had been made that Emily believed they were in her house.

"Keesha, it's been so long. I'm having trouble with the concept that you are actually here. Please forgive me for staring. It's just so good to see you again. You, too, Julianna. I honestly don't mean to stare, but my gosh, you are one beautiful young lady."

"Thank you," Julianna said demurely.

She liked Emily on sight, and she thought Zander was very nice, not to mention *very* good looking. She approved of her aunt's taste in men. As Michael had predicted, Brianna stayed close to her mother and didn't venture near them, except to give her uncle A.J. a hug when she first saw him. Brian, Mr. Curiosity, as Zander nicknamed him, walked right up to Keesha and let her give him a big hug. When Julianna offered her hand to him so he could walk her into the living room, he took it without question.

"We know why you're here in Port Charles," Zander said. "A.J. told us about it last night. We were so sorry to hear the news, Keesha."

"Thank you. Every time the phone rings, I wonder if it's going to be my doctor calling from the hospital to tell me they have a liver. Sometimes, I hate to admit it, I'm relieved when it isn't."

Sitting next to each other on the couch, A.J. reached for Keesha's hand and held it in his. Julianna didn't miss that move either.

"Julianna," Emily said, turning to look at the young girl who sat next to her mother, "I would love to get to know you better. I hope you will come to think of me as your aunt. You are welcome in our home any time. Please feel free to call me any time, too. Okay?"

"Okay," Julianna said, liking Emily more and more. "Michael said you guys would be great, and I have to say you are."

"You know Michael?" Emily asked.

Julianna nodded. She had thought A.J. might have mentioned it, but now she realized he hadn't.

"I didn't tell you about that last night," A.J. said. "Go ahead, Julianna. Tell them how you and Michael met."

"Please do," Zander said. "We're definitely intrigued."

After Julianna related the details of how she and Michael had come to be friends, she told them she knew the history between Michael and A.J.

"He talks about you all the time," Emily said to A.J.

"I can vouch for that," Zander said with a laugh. "I think he wants to live with you again, A.J."

"I would welcome him any time," A.J. assured them. "But I think he's doing fine with his family right here in Port Charles."

*~*

"You made this cake?" Brianna asked Julianna, when dessert was served in the dining room a little while later.

"Yes, I did."

"It's good!" Brian said, chocolate frosting and vanilla ice cream covering the outline of his mouth and most of his hands.

"It's not good, it's great!" Brianna said, trying to outdo her brother.

During dinner, Bri had warmed up to their guests. She decided Keesha was friendly while Julianna was her new favorite person. Especially because they shared part of the same name.

Julianna smiled at the adorable dark-haired children who sat across from her. "I'm glad you like it."

"We do!" they said in unison, which made A.J. and Keesha laugh.

Julianna looked at her parents, who had not left each other's sides all evening. Mama looks so happy, she thought, as she ate a piece of her cake. So does, A.J., for that matter. When she saw A.J. steal another kiss when he thought no one was watching and then whisper something in her mother's ear that made her smile, Julianna knew a shift had occurred in their relationship. But she found she couldn't be upset about it because they both looked so happy.

"C'mon, you two," Zander said to his twins, when dessert had been consumed, "let's get you washed up and ready for bed."

"Not yet!" they both protested.

"You don't have to go to bed," Emily said. "But let Daddy clean you and put your jammies on. Okay?"

"Okay," they both agreed, reluctantly.

Emily laughed and shook her head as Zander carted them off. She rose and began to clear the table.

"I'll clean up," Julianna offered, standing as well to help her aunt.

"You will do no such thing," Emily said. "You are our guest. I just want to stack the dishes. Zander and I will rinse them later. A.J., you can help. I no longer consider you a guest."

"Gee, thanks, Em," he said and then grinned.

He didn't mind. While Julianna helped her mother get settled in the living room, A.J. and Emily cleared the table. When they were alone in the kitchen, she turned to her brother and asked him the question he had been dreading.

"I think this was a success," she said.

"I agree."

"So, A.J. When are you going to do it? When are you going to let Mom and Dad know that you and Keesha are the parents of that beautiful and sweet-natured young lady? And when do they get to see you and Keesha again and meet your wonderful daughter?"