Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter 4

"Good morning, Mama," Julianna said as she walked into her mother’s room and pulled the shade halfway up the window to let in the early morning sunlight. "Did you sleep well?"

"Yes, I did. Did you?"

Julianna turned to face her mother and nodded.

"I can make pancakes if you want."

"I think I’ll just have cereal and herbal tea. I need you to go to the store for me later."

"Okay. Let me go prepare your breakfast."

Julianna left the room, wondering how she could prevent A.J. from calling while she was out of the house. Short of unplugging the phones, Julianna was at a loss as to what to do.

About to put the breakfast items on a tray to bring to Keesha’s room, Julianna was surprised to find her mother standing behind her.

"Mama! I didn’t hear you."

"Sorry, sweetie. I needed to get out of bed."

"But do you feel okay? Sit down."

She pulled out a chair and helped her mother to sit down. She placed the bowl of cereal and cup of hot tea on the table.

"Sit with me and eat," Keesha said.

Julianna grabbed an apple from the refrigerator and sat next to her mother.

"Is everything okay?" Keesha asked.

"Yes, Mama. Why?"

"Last night while we were playing Scrabble, you seemed agitated like something was troubling you. I also noticed you frowned a lot. When I came in here, you were frowning again. Is something wrong, Julianna? If there is, I want you to tell me."

"No," she said, not ready to tell her mother about A.J.’s visit and phone call or to ask her why she had contacted him after all this time. "I’m just concerned about you."

Keesha gently squeezed her daughter’s hand. "I’m feeling better."

"I’m so happy to hear that, but what about the next..."

Julianna stopped. She knew how serious her mother’s illness was. They’d discussed it, but that didn’t mean she was ready to accept the inevitable.

"The next what?" Keesha pressed, wanting her daughter to discuss her fears with her. "You know you can talk to me about anything, Julianna. I want you to."

She nodded but didn’t say any more. Instead, she bit into her apple and took her time chewing.

"I understand you may not be ready to voice your concerns, but please don’t withdraw from me," Keesha continued. "I want you to confide in me. Okay?"

"Yes, Mama," she said, once she had swallowed. "I just...I need to sort out my thoughts. That’s all."

Keesha knew it was more than that, but she respected her daughter’s words and didn’t venture further.

"I made a list of things I need at the store."

"I was thinking about that. I can ask Shelly to go to the store for me. She won’t mind."

"No, Julianna." Keesha’s voice was firm. "I want you to go to the store. You need to get out, get some fresh air. I’ll be fine."

"What if I ask Shelly to stay with you while I’m gone?"

"Honey, I don’t need anyone to stay with me. And just to prove it to you, my doubting darling daughter, I will rinse the dishes while you go get ready. Go on. While you’re out, why don’t you stop at ‘Carla’s Fashion Boutique’ and see if you like any of her new outfits. Take your time. I’ll be fine."

Julianna realized her mother would not let her get out of going to the store, but there was no way she was making any unnecessary stops, even though that meant passing up a chance to peek into her favorite clothing store.

*~*

Sitting on her bed, Keesha shook her head and sighed. Getting her daughter out of the house had zapped most of what little energy she had. But she needed to have the house to herself. An idea had come to her in the middle of the night, and she knew she had to act on it. Reaching for the cordless phone she had insisted Julianna bring to her, she punched in the numbers for information and when the operator answered, Keesha asked for the phone number of the Hilton Hotel. She jotted the numbers down and thanked the woman.

Keesha knew the Hilton Hotel wasn’t too far from her house. If it had been A.J. at the door yesterday, maybe he was staying there? If he wasn’t at the Hilton, she would try the next hotel and the next one until she’d exhausted them all. She thought about waiting for the phone or the doorbell to ring again, but she couldn’t be certain it would happen. She needed to take action. Now.

Please let him be staying at this hotel, she prayed silently, as she punched in the numbers she had written down.

"Hilton Hotel. How may I help you?"

"Is there an A.J. Quartermaine registered there?"

"One moment. Let me check."

She could hear the sound of typing on a keyboard while she hoped for the best.

"Yes, there is. Would you like me to ring his room?"

"Yes!" Keesha said, relief evident in her voice. "Please do."

Now to cross the next hurdle: would he be there?

Her question was answered on the second ring.

"Hello?"

Keesha’s heart skipped a beat when she heard his voice.

"A.J."

It was a statement, not a question.

"Keesha?!" A.J. sounded incredulous. "Is this really you?"

"Yes," she said, relieved to have finally made the connection. "It’s me."

"How did you know I’m staying here?"

"I didn’t. I took a chance."

"I received your letter and came as soon as I could. I’ve tried to contact you several times."

"I thought so."

"Keesha, I have to know. The young girl who answered the door and the phone. Is she...is she your daughter? Is she...*our* daughter?"

"Yes," Keesha answered, her grip on the receiver tightening. "We need to talk, A.J. Soon."

"I agree," A.J. said, his mind racing with questions he wanted answers to.

NOW.

"I’ll talk to Julianna when she comes back from the store. I’ll make her understand why I contacted you after all this time. I’ll call you later today to come over."

"Her name is Julianna. I like that. Very pretty."

"Julianna Mae Ward," Keesha said, her heart and her voice filled with love.

"I have a lot of questions, Keesha."

"I know. I have answers for you, A.J. I do."

"I’m staying by this phone. Please call me. Soon."

"I will. I have to go now. I’m spent."

He’d noticed her labored breathing and that her voice had grown weak.

"Keesha, are you ill?"

"Yes, A.J., I am."

He struggled with his next question, but he had to ask. He had to know what he was dealing with so he could prepare himself to the best of his ability for what might lie ahead.

"Keesha, are you...are you...dying?"

"Yes," she answered, her voice breaking. "And I don’t know how much time I have left."