Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter 41

After sealing their conversation with a soulful kiss that made Keesha sigh with contentment, she tensed, for just a moment in A.J.'s arms, when she saw Regina and Katie enter the room, but then, knowing what was about to happen, she resigned herself to the inevitable. She reluctantly pulled away from A.J., who turned at the sound of Katie's voice.

"Sorry to interrupt," the petite, dark-haired Asian woman said, "but we need to take your vitals. Regina will be recording them for Dr. Burgess-Harmon."

Keesha nodded. A.J. was about to leave the room when Keesha asked Regina if he could stay. She looked to Katie who nodded her assent.

"You're going to sedate me after you take my vitals, right?" Keesha asked.

"That's right," Regina, a young nurse with skin the color of milk chocolate and red highlights in her neatly styled hair, answered.

"Then I know my daughter won't come near my room," she said with a small laugh.

"If the nurses will let me, I'll stay," A.J. offered.

"You can stay," Katie confirmed.

Half an hour later, Keesha's body began to feel very light and very relaxed.

"Is the medication taking effect?" Katie asked.

Keesha nodded.

"Good. I'll let Dr. Burgess-Harmon know."

Regina stayed with Keesha and checked her pulse while Katie informed Ellen that the sedation process had begun. Ellen entered the room with the anesthesiologist, a tall, handsome man with cat green eyes and graying temples.

"Keesha, this is Dr. Brad Lyons. He's your anesthesiologist."

"Nice to meet you, Keesha," he said.

He offered a kind smile to her and to A.J.

"You look very relaxed," he said.

"I am," Keesha confirmed.

"Excellent. I'm going to make sure the medicine is not having any adverse effects on you. Under my supervision, the nurses will give you one more dose that will put you completely out. I'll monitor you for a few minutes, and then the orderlies will wheel you into the OR. I will be with you at all times. You will never be awake while on the operating table, and you will feel no pain at any time during the operation."

Keesha nodded.

"Are you ready?" Ellen asked.

"May I see my daughter one more time before you put me out?"

"Of course," Ellen said.

A.J. escorted a visibly anxious Julianna into the room. She stood next to her mother's bed. Keesha reached for her hands and held them tightly in hers.

"I just had to see you one more time. Keep those positive thoughts flowing for me, baby girl. I love you, Julianna. With all my heart."

"I love you, too, Mama," she said, and kissed her mother's hands. "Take good care of my mother," she ordered the medical personnel in the room.

"We will," Ellen said, giving Julianna's shoulders a gentle squeeze.

"Come on, sweetheart," A.J said, placing his arm around his daughter's back. "We need to let them get your mother into surgery."

"We love you, Mama," Julianna said, after she and A.J. stopped at the doorway to look at Keesha one more time.

"Yes, we do," A.J. confirmed. "So very much."

Keesha waved to both of them as they left the room.

A few minutes later, her world went dark.

*~*

Julianna stayed by her father's side as Nikolas led the group to the waiting room that had been set up for them. As they settled in for the long wait, conversation was almost nil. Thoughts and hopes for Keesha occupied their thoughts.

After an hour had passed, one of the longest any of them could remember, A.J. motioned to Nikolas that he wanted to talk to him privately.

"I'll be right back, Julianna," he assured his daughter. "I just want to ask Nikolas a question."

*~*

"What's up?" Nik asked once they had stepped outside the room.

"I know the hospital has patient confidentiality laws, but will Keesha ever know whose liver she has?"

"No, she won't. At least, she won't learn that information from us. If Keesha wants to know about her liver donor, we can tell her only very minimal information."

The beep of Nikolas' Blackberry interrupted their conversation. He quickly scanned the text and frowned.

"I need to run to my office for a minute. I'll be right back. Something else has just come up."

A.J. nodded.

*~*

Nikolas entered his office and reached for the phone to dial the "212" area code phone number the answering service had given him.

"Vincent Martinez," a strong male voice said.

"Mr. Martinez, this is Nikolas Cassadine, administrator for General Hospital, returning your call. What can I do for you?"

"Mr. Cassadine, thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I'm the director for the Goals, Achievements and Successes Center in Manhattan. I work for A.J. Quartermaine, and I need your help."

"A.J. is here at the hospital. Do you need to talk to him?"

"Actually, I'd rather not bother him if I don't have to. My understanding is that very soon, probably as early as Monday morning, you are going to be served with a subpoena for A.J.'s medical records. Is there any way you can quash that legal document?"

"Yes," Nik answered without hesitation. "Medical records are private unless the person involved has signed a release. To my knowledge, A.J. has not signed any such release. I can take care of any subpoena that crosses my desk."

"Thank you, Mr. Cassadine. This is a big relief to me."

"No problem. Thank you for giving me warning about this situation. I am curious, though. If I may ask, who is interested in A.J.'s medical records? Does this person realize he hasn't lived here in eleven years?"

"Yes. There's a story brewing that the reason A.J. returned to Port Charles is because he started drinking again. A certain newspaper reporter believes his family hospitalized him at General Hospital and is keeping the truth from everyone. This vindictive person is determined to find some dirt on A.J. to discredit him. Why, I have no idea. But this situation is rapidly getting out of control. When I heard about the subpoena..."

"You can rest assured I will take care of it. You should tell this reporter to find some real news to write about."

Vincent sighed. "I'd like to tell her more than that."

"I can imagine," Nik empathized.

"Speaking of being curious, you mentioned A.J. being at the hospital. I hope everything's okay."

"Do you know about Keesha?"

"Yes, I do. Did something happen to her?"

"At this moment, she is undergoing her liver transplant."

"Oh, man. That's excellent. But I'm sure very nerve-wracking, too. I'll let A.J. get in touch with me when he can. Thanks for your help, Mr. Cassadine. I appreciate it very much."

"You're welcome. Since I believe we will be talking again, please call me Nikolas. Let me give you my private number, too."

Nikolas recited the phone number.

"Great. I got it. And, please, call me Vincent."

"Will do. I'll be in touch."

"Thanks again."

After hesitating for a few minutes, Nikolas made the difficult decision. He grabbed the receiver and quickly punched in the numbers from his Rolodex.

"Dr. Quartermaine? This is Nikolas at GH."

"Nikolas!" Alan said, his voice frantic. "I'm so glad you called. Bobbie just told us that Keesha is having her liver transplant operation. Monica and I tried to call A.J. on his cell, but, of course, if he's at the hospital, which I presume he is, the call wouldn't go through. We left him a message, but..."

"A.J. is here. I'm calling on another matter, actually, but yes, Keesha is in the OR and so far, things are going fine. Are you and Monica on your way here?"

"We'd like to be there, but we weren't sure if we should show up unannounced."

"I'm sure it's fine," Nikolas said. "When you arrive, though, I'd like to see you and your wife in my office first. There's an urgent matter I need to discuss with you."

"We're on our way."

*~*

"Do you think that text Nikolas got was about Mama, and he didn't want to say anything?" Julianna asked A.J., her voice anxious. "He's been gone for a while."

"I'm sure it wasn't," Gia rushed to assure a very concerned Julianna. "Do you want me to go to his office to find out what's going on?" she asked the others.

"No, it's okay," Justus said. "I'm sure Nikolas is always putting out fires. If something bad were going on with Keesha, I know he would be here."

Dara and A.J. nodded in agreement.

"Why don't we go for a walk?" A.J. suggested to his daughter. "I'd like to step outside for a minute and check my cell phone. Come with me?"

Julianna nodded. "Let's go to the patio. Please come get us if you hear any news," she urged Dara and Justus.

"We will, honey," Dara said. "Enjoy the fresh air."

*~*

As soon as A.J. and Julianna stepped onto the patio, the refreshing warm night air hit both of them.

"It's such a beautiful night," Julianna said, looking up at the hundreds of stars that seemed to be twinkling at her against the black velvet sky.

She refused to give up hope. She continued to hold steadfast to the belief that her mother's operation was going well.

A.J. agreed, but when Julianna looked at him, she could tell he was distracted.

"Are you calling your office in Manhattan?" she asked.

"Yes. I'm canceling the video conference for tomorrow. That reporter can say or print whatever she wants. Defending my sobriety is not my priority right now."

"But it should be, Dad," Julianna said seriously. "Mama wouldn't want you to not follow through with your plan of action."

"I'm not giving up or in," he assured her, "but this situation can wait another day or two. The truth is on my side, sweetheart. For once in my life, I have absolutely nothing to hide."

Julianna could tell how much it meant to her father to be able to say those words. She smiled at him as he talked with Vincent, who understood completely.

"I didn't expect this to be so easy," A.J. said.

"I'm working on a couple of things at this end," Vincent said. "I tried to call you earlier, but it went right to your voice mail."

"I'm at the hospital. Keesha is having her liver transplant operation. I'll try to check my cell as much as I can, but I can't promise it'll be often."

"No problem. I understand. You just be there for Keesha and your daughter. I'll take care of things here."

"Thanks, Vincent. I really appreciate all you are doing for me and the Center."

"No problem. I know you're going to reward me handsomely."

Vincent laughed, but A.J. assured him he planned to do exactly that.

"Just concentrate on Keesha and Julianna. The rest will take care of itself."

While A.J. had a moment, he decided to call Skye and Emily to let them know about Keesha. Skye told A.J. she and Tom were on their way to the hospital. Emily told A.J. she and Zander would be there, too, since the twins were spending the night at Liz and Lucky's house.

"We're going to be having more company," A.J. said to his daughter when he ended his calls. "Skye and Tom and Emily and Zander are on their way."

"That's so nice they want to be with us. I just checked my cell phone. Michael left me a message. Is it okay if he comes, too?"

"Is that what he said? He wants to be here?"

"Sort of. He said Bobbie called him at his dad's place. They were just hanging out with Lucas. Michael said his father wanted to come here, and Michael asked me if it would be okay if he came, too. Is it okay, Daddy? Can I tell him he can come?"

A.J. smiled at his daughter and smoothed her hair. "You really like him, don't you?"

"Yeah, I do. As a friend," she quickly clarified, unwilling to discuss her deepening and confusing feelings for Michael with her father. "He makes me laugh, and he's been a great friend to me."

"I think it would be nice if he were here."

"Thanks. I'm going to call him now. Is it okay if I wait for him here?"

"Sure. I'll head back to the waiting room. If there's any news, I'll let you know."

*~*

Once Julianna was alone, she quickly called Michael at his father's house and smiled when she heard his voice.

"Hey," she said, trying to sound upbeat. "I got your message."

"Jule! I'm so glad you called me back. I didn't think I'd hear from you for a while. How's your mom?"

"She's in the operating room. I'm believing everything is going well, and since we haven't heard anything to the contrary..."

"I hope it was okay that my grandmother told us."

"It's fine. If you still want to come here, Michael, my dad said it's okay."

"Yeah," Michael said, even as a few of his own fears took root, "I'd like to be there with you. At least for a while."

"I'd like it if you were here," she said sincerely.

"I'll let my dad know. We'll probably leave in a little bit."

"Okay. Do you know where the patio is near the cafeteria?"

"I think I do. If I don't, my dad does. Is that where you are?"

"Yes."

"I'll see you soon."

"Thanks, Michael."

After Julianna turned off her cell phone, she held it against her heart for a few moments while she took the time to look up at the star-filled night sky.

"You guys are still twinkling at me," she said. "I'm taking that as a good sign. Michael's going to be here soon. I can't wait."

Then she offered up a silent prayer of thanks.

"I know You're watching out for Mama. Otherwise, I know I wouldn't be feeling this peaceful. Thank you."

*~*

"You're sure about this?" Tony asked his son as they readied themselves to make the trek to the hospital.

"Yes. I want to be there for Julianna."

"Even though you're working yourself into a major panic attack right before my eyes."

"I know I said I would never step foot into GH again after Mom died, but I just...I want to be there for Julianna."

"She must be one very special young lady."

"She is. You have to meet her tonight."

"I'd like to very much, but my first priority is making sure you are okay."

"I'll be all right," he assured his dad.

"Remember to keep breathing," Tony said as he followed his son out the door.

*~*

Thinking it was going to be Monica and Alan when there was a knock on his door, Nikolas stood up from his chair. He smiled when he saw his wife walk in.

"Nikolas," Gia said and pouted, "we feel abandoned by you. What's going on? Is there something happening with Keesha that you don't want us to know about?"

"No," Nikolas said, taking his concerned wife into his arms and holding her while they kissed.

He continued to answer her question after their all-too-brief kiss ended.

"Right now, I'm involved in a situation concerning A.J. I'm waiting for Alan and Monica to arrive."

"What's going on with A.J.?"

"A newspaper reporter has it in for him, apparently. She's threatening to write a story that A.J. has taken up drinking again and that his family is hiding him here in the hospital."

"Nikolas, that's horrible!"

"I know. And the timing couldn't be worse. With Ellen working on Keesha, I made the decision to call Alan. He's no longer chief of staff, but he is still tied to this hospital. Maybe among Alan, Monica and me, we can figure out the best course of action to take. I haven't said anything to A.J., and I don't want you to either."

"Don't worry, honey. I won't. Let me go back upstairs, so they'll know everything is okay."

"Thanks for checking on me," Nik said. "I appreciate it."

They shared another kiss, which only left both of them wanting more.

"I hope you make it back to the waiting room soon," Gia said, brushing his hair.

"Me, too. This is the last thing I expected to be dealing with tonight."

Gia had no sooner left than Monica and Alan arrived. Nikolas greeted and showed them to their seats.

"How is Keesha?" Monica immediately asked, still catching her breath from the long trot they had from the parking lot. "Any word on how the operation is progressing?"

"No. I haven't heard anything from Ellen or the nurses. I'm taking it as no news is good news."

Alan nodded. "How are A.J. and Julianna holding up?"

"Fine, from what I can tell. Unfortunately, I've had another situation arise that's taken my attention away from them. That's why I wanted to see both of you."

"What's going on?" Monica asked.

"It's about A.J."

Monica and Alan shared a concerned look.

"What about our son?" Alan asked.

"I got a call from the director of his Manhattan Center. A reporter is trying to publish an article saying that A.J. has started drinking again. Vincent Martinez is the director's name. Anyway, he warned me that GH is probably going to be served with a subpoena, as early as Monday morning, demanding A.J.'s records."

"That's absurd," Alan scoffed. "They can serve all the subpoenas they want on us, we have absolutely no obligation to provide any records."

"That's what I told Vincent. He was very relieved to hear that. One of his concerns, and the more I'm thinking about it the more it's becoming my concern, too, is that this 'rumor' seems to be taking on a life of its own. I really do not want to bother Ellen with any of this, but at the same time, I hate to see A.J. and the hospital be connected to anything this reporter may decide to write. I know you've had experience with these types of issues before, Alan. Is there anything I can do to stop this nonsense before it's too late?"

Alan's answer was interrupted by the ringing of Nikolas' private line. He answered it on the first ring and said a curt "hello."

"Vincent. Sorry I was so short. I'm realizing my nerves are getting somewhat frazzled."

"My nerves just got a lot more frazzled, too," Vincent admitted.

"You have more information?"

"Yes. When I told our PR department that we didn't have to worry about this reporter or newspaper getting hold of A.J.'s records, they decided to level with me. They'd been trying to do some behind-the-scenes work, but they realized their efforts are failing, so now the gloves have come off."

"What, or should I say who, are we dealing with, Vincent?"

"I just found out the reporter in question is none other than A.J.'s ex-wife, Courtney Matthews."