Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter 43

"I talked briefly to Ellen," Nikolas told the anxious group assembled in the waiting room. "She said the surgery is progressing as expected but that Keesha will be in the OR for several more hours."

"As long as Mama's doing okay," Julianna said to A.J. "That's the main thing."

"I agree."

"Thanks for the update," Justus said to Nikolas.

The others nodded their thanks.

"You're welcome."

Emily and Skye approached Julianna and asked her how she was doing.

"I'm fine," she told them. "Thank you for coming."

"You're welcome, sweetie," Skye said and smiled.

Emily hugged Michael.

"I swear you're at least an inch taller every time I see you."

"No, I'm not," Michael said and blushed.

"Well, I think it's great you're here for A.J. and Julianna. I know they appreciate the support. And someday," she said, lowering her voice so only he could hear, "you're going to have to tell me how you managed to make it inside this place."

Zander and Tom said their "hellos" to Julianna and Michael.

"After you had dinner at our house the other night, Brianna asked me to give you this," Zander said to Julianna.

He handed her a miniature stuffed puppy.

"Bri said it helps her when she's scared, and she wanted you to have it."

"Oh that's so sweet!" Julianna gushed. "Please tell her I said thank you and that I'm looking forward to seeing her and Brian again."

"I will," Zander said and smiled.

After conversing with Michael, Monica and Alan waited until the others had talked with Julianna before they approached her.

"Hi," Julianna said, when they sat next to her. "It's nice that you're here."

"We very much want this operation to be successful," Monica said.

Julianna nodded. "I know."

She looked around the room at all the concerned faces.

"It's great that so many people care about my parents. I never gave much thought to my father's family," she admitted. "I just knew my mother and I were together and that was enough for me. Seeing all of you in this room is a little overwhelming, but in a good way."

"We care about your mother," Alan said. "And we care about you and your father, too."

"I know."

"I know it, too, Dad," A.J. said.

The four of them shared an understanding smile.

*~*

A few minutes later, Bobbie and Tony entered the room. Bobbie gave Michael a hug, and then he filled them in on Nikolas' news.

Bobbie said "hello" to everyone, and after she and Monica hugged, her eyes locked on A.J.'s. They hadn't seen each other since he had left town.

"Can we talk in the hallway for a minute?" she asked.

A.J. nodded.

Curious eyes watched them as they left the room.

"Let's sit over here," Bobbie said, pointing to a maroon-colored divan near the elevator bank. "I've been rehearsing what I wanted to say to you once I saw you again, and now..."

Shaking her head, Bobbie let the words trail off. A.J. made it very easy for her.

"You don't have to say anything. You didn't know what Carly and Jason had done."

"I came down on you pretty hard, more than once. I applauded Carly keeping you away from Michael. If I had only known..."

"But you didn't," A.J. reiterated. "That's the key. She fooled all of us. And only she, and maybe Jason, knew the real reason why she chose the path she did. I don't blame you, Bobbie. You were protecting your daughter. I understood that, even when I didn't think it was right or fair."

"There were so many times when things would get out of control at the penthouse that I asked her, no begged her, to let me keep Michael. But she was so stubborn. She refused to acknowledge that her lifestyle was affecting her son. It terrified me to see how much Michael was hurting, but the more I argued with her, the less contact we had. I had to stop before my daughter cut me out of her life completely, which she threatened to do on more than one occasion if I didn't shut up about her marriage to Sonny."

A.J. gave a bitter laugh as he shook his head. "That certainly sounds like Carly."

"She chose the lifestyle. That's what I had to keep reminding myself. I pleaded with her to leave Sonny. I told her things would only get worse, not better. But she said she couldn't. She said she had grown accustomed to the life and to the danger. She foolishly thought Michael had, too. How could he have? When that call came into the hospital..."

Bobbie stood and turned away from A.J. He rose and placed gentle hands on her shoulders.

"I can't imagine what you must have gone through. I don't know how anyone survives the loss of two children in a lifetime."

She turned and gave A.J. a small smile.

"Michael was spared. I will be forever grateful for that. He's been through so much, as you well know, but he seems to be able to enjoy the idea of being alive again. He looks forward to events. His interests are picking up. He cares about what's going on around him. Thank you, A.J. Thank you for being there for him when neither Tony nor I could reach him. I should've gone with Tony and Michael to see you in Manhattan, but I just couldn't. I didn't know how to face you, given everything that had happened through the years. I'll never forget what you did for Michael."

"It wasn't just me," A.J. told her honestly. "But you're welcome. I'm glad the program worked."

"And now Michael and Julianna are friends. Can you believe it?"

A.J. chuckled. "No, I can't. It's amazing, isn't it?"

"Very much so. I haven't spent much time with Julianna, but from the little bit I have, I like her. A lot. I think she's inherited the best from both of her parents."

"That's kind of you to say, but Keesha gets all the credit for Julianna. Keesha is one incredible lady, and she's raising Julianna to be the same way. I just sit and marvel at the two of them and wonder how I got to be so fortunate."

"You have that look in your eyes when you talk about Keesha," Bobbie said, her own dark eyes twinkling. "I hope her operation works so that the two of you can have that second, or would this be the third, chance that you both deserve."

"Thanks, Bobbie. I appreciate the support."

"Thank *you*," she said as they started to return to the room, "for being so understanding. I didn't know how I was going to face you. Thank you for making it easy."

"No problem. Believe me, I know a thing or two, and hopefully have learned some things, too, about having to face unpleasant issues from the past. I'm glad we talked."

Bobbie smiled. "Me, too, A.J. Me, too."

*~*

When they returned to the room, several people had fallen asleep. Tony chatted with Monica, Alan, and Nikolas. Michael and Julianna had their heads together. Bobbie looked at them and smiled.

"I think they've become inseparable," she said.

"I think you're right."

"I can tell you that this is the first time Michael has been inside this hospital since his mother died. Tony and I worried about him so much. When he told his father he wanted to be here tonight for Julianna and you, Tony couldn't believe it. He thought for sure he would find Michael outside, unable to come in here. But look. There he is. And he's fine. That's the most amazing part of all."

"I'm glad he was able to get past his fear. Now that he's here, maybe he'll find out it's not so bad and go on to follow in his father's footsteps. Maybe we're looking at the future Dr. Michael Jones."

Bobbie chuckled. "I don't think so, but it's not a bad thought."

"Does Michael talk about what he'd like to do with his life?"

"Not too much. He talks about taking business administration courses in college, but that's about it. At one time, I think he wanted to be an airline pilot, but with travel and security the way it is these days, I'm not sure that career choice still appeals to him."

"Whatever he decides to do," A.J. said, "I know he'll be successful."

*~*

Two hours later, Bobbie, Tony and a reluctant Michael left the hospital after telling A.J. to call them with any news. The others, with the exception of A.J. and Julianna, and Nikolas who had gone to his office, decided to go to a nearby twenty-four hour cafe for some hot food.

"I have my cell," Alan said to his son. "Call us."

"I will."

"We'll bring you and your dad something delicious," Emily said to Julianna.

"Well, edible," Zander corrected with a laugh.

Once A.J. and Julianna were alone, he encouraged his daughter to sleep.

"I'll just lay on the couch and close my eyes for a few minutes," she said.

Within fifteen minutes, she was sleeping soundly. A.J. smiled as he watched her.

Plopping down on the sofa across from his daughter, A.J. let his mind wander. He tried to keep his thoughts focused on Keesha and Julianna, but he couldn't help thinking about the reporter who was threatening to print lies about him. Puzzled, he tried to recall whom he might have offended or slighted in the past or who had asked for an interview and had been denied, but no one came to mind. He wanted the situation to be resolved, but he knew nothing was more important than Keesha and Julianna.

In the quiet of the room, he leaned his head back against the wall, and within minutes, had fallen into a dreamless sleep.

*~*

About an hour later, the sound of voices woke A.J. and Julianna. They both stood and said "hello" to the ones who had returned from the diner.

"We brought you both a pancake breakfast with sausages and eggs," Emily said.

"That sounds good," Julianna said, still trying to wake up. "Thank you."

She and A.J. sat at the table and ate.

"I'm glad you got some sleep," he said.

"I'm surprised I was able to."

She looked out the window.

"It's morning," she said. "Shouldn't we be hearing something about Mama?"

"I was thinking the same thing. When I finish eating, I'll go down to Nikolas' office."

"I want to go, too."

"Of course."

*~*

A.J. was about to knock on Nikolas' door when it opened.

"A.J., Julianna. I was just on my way upstairs. Come in."

They stepped inside his office. Nikolas closed the door. When he turned to face them, he couldn't keep the huge smile from his face.

"You have good news?" A.J. asked, hope present in his voice.

"The best," Nikolas said. "I just heard from Ellen. Keesha is out of surgery. She's in the transplant urgent care unit. She made it through the operation!"

"I knew Mama would make it!" Julianna cried with relief and jubilation. "I knew she wasn't going to die!"

She and A.J. embraced each other as they absorbed Nikolas' words.

"Your mother made it, Julianna. Keesha has a healthy liver once more."

"This is the best news ever!"

Julianna let the tears of relief and happiness spill down her cheeks.

"I'm so happy," she said. "Mama didn't die. She's alive, and she's going to be healthy again. I can't believe it. Mama's been sick for so long. There were times when I thought for sure I was going to lose my mother."

"I know, sweetheart. I know."

A.J. held his daughter once more.

"Thank you," she said, clinging to him. "Thank you for being with us. A few months ago, I didn't know who you were, and I couldn't have cared less. Now I can't imagine you not being in my life and Mama's. We need you, Daddy. So much. I love you."

"I love you, too, Julianna," A.J. said, with a catch in his voice. "I love you and your mother so very, very much. Thank you for letting me be here."

While father and daughter rejoiced at the good news, Nikolas slipped quietly from the room to give them the privacy he knew they needed.