Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter 44

Smiles and hugs ensued when A.J. and Julianna entered the waiting room.

"We’re so happy and relieved Keesha made it," Monica said to her son as she hugged him.

Dara and Justus embraced Julianna.

"Thank you for everything," Julianna told them, her voice filled with emotion. "Mama and I love both of you so much."

"We love you, too," Justus said.

He kept her in his arms for a little while longer. She had become someone very special to him. Dara looked on with a smile. He’s going to make a great father, she thought. She realized she was ready to pursue their adoption plans. Soon.

A few minutes later, a tired but happy Ellen walked in to address the group.

"I know Nikolas told you the good news. I just want to confirm it. Keesha came through the surgery in good condition. She has her new liver. She’s still in recovery. The anti-rejection medication has been started. She’s being monitored very closely.

"At this time, I am saying no visitors for the next twelve hours. That could extend to twenty-four hours, depending on her recovery. However, there is a window in her room so you can look at her for a few minutes just to assure yourselves she is okay. My hope is that you will all go home and get some much-needed sleep."

Justus and A.J. thanked Ellen.

"As of this moment, I have no reason to believe Keesha’s recovery will not be on track," she told them. "She did very well in the OR. We ran into very minor complications, nothing unusual and nothing that threatened her life or the operation. Here’s the phone number for the nurses’ station in the transplant recovery unit. Feel free to call anytime. The nurse on duty will give you updates and let you know when you might be able to see Keesha for a few minutes. I’ll be in touch, as well, over the next few days. Okay?"

"Sounds good," Justus said. "Thank you again."

She smiled. "You’re very welcome."

After Ellen said good-bye to everyone, Justus suggested to A.J. that he and Julianna go see Keesha.

"Dara and I will join you in a few minutes."

"Okay."

A.J. crossed to his daughter and asked if she was ready to see her mother. Julianna nodded enthusiastically.

They were ready to leave the room when Monica and Alan approached them.

"We just wanted to tell you how happy we are for your mother and you," Alan said to Julianna.

She smiled at them. "Thank you."

"Would it be okay if I gave you a hug?" Monica asked.

Julianna nodded.

Monica gently embraced the lovely young girl she had quickly come to think of as her granddaughter in every way, despite having spent so little time with her.

For the first time, Julianna realized her grandmother was hugging her. She’d never known her maternal grandparents. She decided it was time she acknowledged their place in her life.

"Thank you for staying with us, Grandma Monica. I appreciate it very much."

Monica held her tighter as tears filled her eyes. Julianna had referred to her as her grandmother. Monica’s heart swelled with love.

Before Alan could hug his granddaughter, she embraced him.

"Thank you, too, Grandpa Alan. It meant a lot to me to have you here."

"You’re welcome, sweetheart. Thank you for acknowledging us as your grandparents. Please, Julianna. Come to us if you need anything. Okay?"

Julianna pulled away and nodded. She smiled at them and then left the room with her father.

"I’m so proud of you," A.J. said to her as they walked towards the elevators.

She shrugged. "I realized it’s nice to know I have grandparents. The time seemed right to tell them.."

"So young," A.J. marveled, "and yet so wise."

Julianna laughed. "Yeah, right."

*~*

"If there are no setbacks with Keesha today," Nikolas said to Alan to Monica, "do you want to set the press conference for tomorrow morning?"

"Yes," Alan replied.

Nikolas nodded. "I’ll talk to Ellen. I’ll be in touch."

"Thanks, Nikolas," Alan said. "I look forward to putting this hideous situation behind us as quickly as possible. My son has way more important things to concentrate on."

"I understand," Nik said.

*~*

Regina greeted A.J. and Julianna when they arrived at the nurses’ station.

"Keesha is doing very well," she informed them. "Take a look for yourselves."

She led them to Keesha’s room so they could see her through the window, and then she left them alone.

"Mama looks peaceful," Julianna said. She laid her head on her father’s shoulder. "Frail, but peaceful."

"I was thinking the same thing. I wish we could be with her so she would know she’s not alone."

"I’d like to hold her," Julianna said.

So would I, A.J. thought.

She looked at her father.

"We’ll be able to visit with Mama soon, right?"

"Very soon, sweetheart. These hours will fly by."

"I hope so."

Dara and Justus arrived a few minutes later. Dara held Julianna close as they looked at Keesha.

"Regina said she’s doing well," A.J. told them.

"We heard that, too," Justus said.

"I know you’ll feel better when you can be with her," Dara said to Julianna, who nodded.

"Soon," Justus said, "your mother will know we are with her."

"I know."

Julianna tried to stifle a yawn but couldn’t.

"Come on, honey," Dara said. "Let’s go home so you can get some sleep. We’ll call here later to find out how Keesha is doing."

"Okay."

"I’ll tell the others you said good-bye," A.J. said to his daughter.

She hugged and thanked him.

"You need sleep, too."

A.J. laughed. "I know. After I stop off downstairs, I’m heading straight for my hotel room."

"I’ll call you later?"

"Please do."

"I’m going to stop at the chapel," Julianna told him. "I have so much to be thankful for."

"That’s nice," A.J. said.

Julianna studied her father’s tired face.

"I don’t know why, but I feel the need to say a prayer for you. Maybe it’s because of this reporter situation, but I feel like you’re going to need help, Daddy."

"I hope you’re wrong, but I appreciate you looking out for me." He smiled. "It’s wonderful having my daughter on my side."

Julianna returned his smile and said good-bye after taking one more long look at her mother, who was sleeping soundly.

*~*

It was late afternoon when Julianna woke up. After spending some time writing in her diary, she decided to call Michael. She also wanted to call her best friend Shelly to tell her the good news.

Julianna smiled when she heard Michael’s cheery "hello."

"Hi, Michael."

"Jule! Man, I’ve been waiting for you to call. We heard the excellent news about your mom. I wanted to call you, but Dara said you were sleeping. Are you okay?"

"I’m still a little out of it," she admitted, "but I’m very happy and very relieved."

"I can understand that. Dara said you guys can’t go into your mom’s room, but you saw her through a window?"

"Yeah. Mama looked very frail but also peaceful. I can’t wait until we can be in the room with her."

"I’m sure it will be soon."

"Probably tomorrow."

"I’m sooo happy for you, Jule."

She smiled into the phone. "Thanks, Michael. And thank you for being with me last night. I liked knowing you were there. It meant a lot to me."

"Thank you, Jule!" Michael said seriously. "If it wasn’t for your help and your patience, I wouldn’t have been able to be there. I’ll never forget what you did for me."

"I’ll never forget all the things you’ve done for me either," she said, her voice sounding melancholy.

"Why do you suddenly sound sad?" Michael asked.

"I was just thinking that we’ll probably be leaving soon to return to Philadelphia. I’m going to miss you, Michael."

"I didn’t think about that," he admitted. "It’s going to seem weird if you leave, Jule. I like having you here."

"But this isn’t our home. I want to return to Philadelphia."

"I understand," Michael said, but he wasn’t sure he did.

"Will we still keep in touch?" she asked.

"I’d like to if you want to," Michael said, surprised she had asked that question.

He’d just assumed they would always keep in touch, but now he realized maybe that wouldn’t be the case.

"I want us to keep in touch, too," she said.

But, somehow, her words did little to convince Michael they would stay in touch.

"Is there something going on, Jule?" he asked. "You sound different."

"No," she said. "I just...I just realized how much my life might change now that Mama will be well again. Shelly and I talked about all the things we would do in high school, but I wasn’t able to participate in much because my mother needed me. If Mama is well, maybe I can do some of those things. Won’t that be fantastic?"

"Yes, it will," Michael said. "You deserve to have some fun, Julianna. I hope it works out for you."

"Thanks, Michael. I’m going to call Shelly to let her know the good news!"

"Okay. Call me later."

Michael hung up the phone and realized what Julianna had been trying to convey. She’d been trying to tell him that she would no longer have time for him. Once she returned to Philadelphia, he began to doubt he would ever hear from her. When her mother was sick, he had been a means of escape for her, but now that her mother would be healthy, she had other plans. Plans that seemed not to include keeping in touch with him. And that made him sad.

"How do I begin to get over you, Jule?"

*~*

"Shelly?" Julianna asked because she wasn’t sure she’d called the right number.

"Yeah, it’s me. Julianna? How the hell are you?"

Julianna looked at her phone. Her petite best friend with long blonde hair and big round emerald eyes never talked like that.

"I’m fine. How are *you*?"

Shelly laughed. "Couldn’t be better. What’s goin’ on?"

"I wanted to share some good news with you, but I’m not sure now is the time. What’s going on there? I hear loud music and talking."

"Frank and Diego are here. We’re hangin’ out. Gwen is here, too."

"Gwen?!" Julianna couldn’t keep the surprise from her voice. "Since when did you start hanging out with Gwen?"

Shelly laughed. "I know, I know. We always thought she was a bitch. But you know what? She’s not so bad once you get to know her."

"If you say so," Julianna said, unconvinced.

"Diego wants to talk to you. Here, talk to him."

"No, Shelly, I don’t want to talk to...Diego. Hi. How are you?"

"I’m doin’ good, babe. Real good. But I miss you. I can’t wait until you return to Philly. You owe me a date, you know. I have plans for us, babe. Big plans."

"I’m not your ‘babe’," Julianna said, wishing Shelly would take back the phone.

"You are soooo hot," Diego continued, undaunted. His words sounded slurred. "I bet you got hotter and sexier over the summer. I can’t *wait* to see you."

"Put Shelly back on the phone. Now!"

"Sure, babe. Whatever you say. See you soon."

That’s what you think.

"What did you say to Diego?" Shelly demanded.

"Nothing. Look, Shelly, I don’t know what’s going on there, but I don’t appreciate you giving the phone to Diego. You know I can’t stand that guy."

"He likes you, Julianna."

"He’s a pig!"

"Only after he’s had a couple of beers. When he’s sober, he’s a really great guy."

"Is that what’s going on there? You guys are drinking?"

Shelly giggled. "You really wanna know what’s going on here?"

"No," Julianna said. "I don’t. Don’t tell me any of the sordid details, Shelly. I gotta go."

"Call me tomorrow and tell me your news," she said. "I’ll be sober then. Hungover, but sober."

"Yeah, whatever."

Julianna ended the call. She couldn’t believe her best friend since kindergarten was drinking, entertaining guys in her home and who knows what else.

"What is going on with you, Shelly?"

Diego’s lewd comments made her skin crawl and made her appreciate Michael that much more.

"But it’s not fair of me to keep depending on Michael when he’s here and I’m in Philadelphia."

Yet, she knew Michael was the only guy she felt comfortable enough with to depend on. How I wish you lived in Philadelphia, Michael. What am I going to do without you?