Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter 56 - Part 2

As soon as A.J. entered her room, Keesha's eyes focused on the neatly wrapped present he held in his hand.

"For me?" she asked excitedly.

"Is what for you?" he teased.

He grinned at her childlike delight.

"The gift you're holding in your hand," she said, pointing to the bright pink wrapping paper that was topped with a big white bow.

"This?" A.J. said, holding the package in front of him. "This isn't a gift."

"I see," Keesha said, nodding as she played along with him. "You always carry around beautifully wrapped packages for no good reason?"

A.J. snapped his fingers. "You've uncovered another one of my little quirks."

He had made his way to sit on her bed.

"What am I going to do with you, Ms. Ward?"

"You're going to give me my present."

She reached for it, but he moved it out of her range.

"A little anxious, are we?" he asked and laughed.

She playfully punched his arm and tried to grab her gift.

"Feisty, too," he noted. "I assure you that hitting me will not get you what you want."

She tried to look contrite. "I'm sorry," she said. "Please may I have my gift?"

A.J. considered her request and how adorable she looked while asking it, but he wasn't quite ready to give in. "That's better, but it's still not good enough. Sorry."

"You're just a big ol' meanie," she said, and then they both laughed.

A.J. leaned in closer.

"How about giving this big ol' meanie a kiss?" he asked.

"Okay," she said, feigning disinterest as she rolled her eyes. "If it'll get me my present..."

"Forget it," A.J. said, his eyes still twinkling. "I don't want a pity kiss."

She laughed. "And I wouldn't give you one," she said and smiled. "Come here. I'd love nothing more than to kiss you, but we need to take it slow. I'm in a little more pain than usual, and I'm still not moving very well."

"You should have told me. Is the pain anything to be worried about?"

"No. Ellen said it happens. I just have to be extra careful. But I want my kiss and my gift."

A.J. complied with Keesha's wishes, and soon they were sharing a tender, affectionate kiss.

"Now," he said, "you may have your present."

"Ooo, thank you," she said, carefully removing the bow and the wrapping paper to reveal a pocket calendar with a picture of a beach on Cape Cod at sunset.

Keesha smiled and squeezed A.J.'s hand. "This is perfect," she said. "I can cross off the days until I'm out of here, and I can imagine myself visiting Cape Cod. With you."

A.J. grinned. "I like the sound of that."

"Maybe one of these days?" she asked hopefully.

"Definitely."

She smiled. "Thank you for my gift."

"You're welcome."

It took some creative navigating, but Keesha and A.J. finally managed to hug. She leaned back in her bed and sighed.

"I didn't hurt you, did I?" he asked.

Keesha shook her head. "No. I'm all right. I just have to remember there are certain ways I can't move."

A.J. helped Keesha find her comfortable position again.

"That's better," she said. "So what is our daughter doing today? I haven't heard from her."

"She's at the house with Dara and Justus. They're bringing Matthew and Veronica home."

Keesha's eyes lit up. "That's so great! I hope they like living with Dara and Justus. I'm glad Julianna could be with them. I definitely want to hear every detail of their first day."

*~*

With joined hands, Matthew and Veronica stared wide-eyed in wonder and disbelief at their lavish yet comfortable surroundings after they'd tentatively stepped into Dara and Justus' home. They looked but didn't touch any of the furnishings in the living room and dining room. When they entered the spacious kitchen, they ran to the window that looked out onto the roomy backyard.

"Wow, Matty," Veronica said, her voice conveying her excitement. "Look at that yard!"

"I know," he said, his voice equally as enthusiastic. "It's way huge!"

Dara and Justus shared a smile.

"After you see the rest of the house," Dara said, "you can change into your play clothes and go outside. How about that?"

"Okay," Matthew said.

But Veronica looked sad. "We don't have any play clothes, Matty. We don't have anything."

After looking at Camille, who smiled at her, Dara knelt in front of the little girl and held her small hands.

"Yes, you do. Wait until you see what's in your bedroom."

The light returned to both children's big brown eyes as they followed Dara, Justus and Camille up the stairs.

"Aren't you comin'?" Veronica asked Julianna, who remained at the bottom of the staircase.

"Sure," she said. "I'll be there in a second."

Julianna wanted the family to enjoy the moment when Matthew and Veronica realized some of their own belongings had been delivered to the house, thanks to Mrs. Liden.

When she heard their gasps of surprise and their squeals of delight, she couldn't keep the smile from her face.

"Dara and Justus are going to make this the best possible home they can for you," she whispered as she ascended the stairs, two at a time, to join the newest additions to the Ward family.

*~*

Tony glanced up at the knock on his office door and motioned for Bobbie to enter. Looking worn out, she plopped into the nearest swivel chair and let out a heavy sigh.

"You should go home and get some rest," he advised.

"I will. I feel I should be here for Michael when he wakes up."

"Is he all right?"

"He's fine. I just checked on him. I came by to see how you're doing and to ask a question."

"I've been better," he answered honestly. "What's the question?"

"You seemed distant with your son when he was telling us what he remembered. Why?"

"Even though Kevin recorded it, I wanted to make sure I heard everything he said. There were a few discrepancies from what Michael told me at the house, but overall, everything he said seemed to fit."

"These discrepancies. Which do you think is the true version?"

"The one he told Kevin. I think he was still sorting things out at the house. He seemed to be seeing the memories more clearly when he was talking to Kevin."

"I know you well enough to believe you're holding back on me. Something else is going on. What is it? I want to know."

Tony perched himself on the corner of his oak desk and crossed his arms in front of him.

"To be honest, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop."

Bobbie shook her head. "Other shoe? I don't get it."

"I'm waiting for Michael to say he wishes I weren't his father."

"Oh, Tony. I don't believe Michael feels that way. At all."

"Well, we started to have a dialog the day he remembered the details of the explosion, and he did express some resentment at the situation involving me. Not that I blame him."

"But you've been a wonderful father to him. He knows that."

"What I know is that he loves you unconditionally, and when all is said and done, if he doesn't want me to be in his life, I'm going to have to find some way to accept that."

"I can't believe he would cut you out of his life. He's not like that, Tony. You are his father."

"I may be his father," Tony said sadly, "but there's one person I'm not: Jason."

When Bobbie would have scoffed, Tony stopped her.

"It's true. I can't believe that, once again, I know exactly how A.J. must have felt all those years trying to compete with Jason. I can almost see why he turned to alcohol. Thinking about the huge impact Jason has had on my son makes me want to drink. And that ain't no lie."

*~*

After leaving Tony's office, a more subdued Bobbie returned to Michael's room and saw he was awake.

"Hey," she said. "How are you?"

"I'm okay."

"Can I get you anything?"

"I'm hungry. Can I get an ice cream or a candy bar?"

"Being hungry is a good sign. You did sleep through lunch. I'll look around to see if there's any ice cream. You may have to eat Jell-O or some fruit."

"That's fine."

Bobbie smiled at her grandson. "I'll be right back."

Lesley Lu saw her aunt heading for the food cart.

"Do you want a snack? I have fruit at the nurses' station."

"Michael wants ice cream."

"I'll get it for him. I'd like to see him."

Bobbie smiled. "Thanks, Lu. I think he'd like that."

A few minutes later, Lesley Lu entered Michael's room, carrying an ice cream sundae in a plastic container and a small wooden spoon.

"Hi," Michael said, surprised, but pleased, to see his cousin.

"Hi, yourself," she said.

After rolling the food table in front of him and setting the plastic cup and spoon on it, she took a seat next to his bed.

Michael grinned. "I haven't seen this kind of ice cream in years."

"I hope it tastes good."

"I'm sure it will. I'm hungry."

"I can get you another one if you want."

"Nah, that's okay. I think I'm getting dinner soon, right?"

"Right."

"Did Grandma tell you to come see me?"

Lu shook her head. "I wanted to. I know we don't see a lot of each other, but I care about you, Michael. We all do. It's time you saw more of the Spencers. Lucky and Liz are going to visit you soon. And when my parents return from their trip, I'll make sure they see you, too."

"I appreciate what you're trying to do, but I'm not comfortable with everyone knowing I'm in the hospital. Especially because of why I'm here. This is not something I'm proud of."

"But it's not your fault. You're getting the help you need. That's the main thing."

"I guess."

"You're not discouraged, are you, Michael?"

His cousin's obvious concern made him smile.

"A little," he said, and shrugged as he scooped more vanilla ice cream mixed with chocolate syrup onto his spoon. "It's hard not to be."

"But you're remembering stuff, right? Isn't that good?"

"Yeah, I suppose it is. It's just that I thought I had put a lot of this behind me."

"Well, maybe this time you will."

She gave him an encouraging smile and then winked. "Don't tell your grandmother, but I'm going to get you another ice cream. You look like you need one."

"You're spoiling me," Michael said, and then he laughed. "But don't stop because I like it."

*~*

"Is that calendar from Dad?" Julianna asked Keesha.

She'd spotted it on the table while carefully hugging her mother.

Keesha smiled. "Yes. Isn't it beautiful? Your father and I want to visit Cape Cod some day."

Julianna's eyes widened in surprise. "You and Daddy are making those kinds of plans? Wow."

Keesha laughed. "I'm sure it won't happen for a long time, but be happy for me, baby girl. At least, I'm making plans to travel. Isn't that better than planning for my death?"

"Yes. Definitely. I am happy for you, Mama. And Daddy, too. I think it's great."

Keesha squeezed her daughter's hand. "Thank you. And now, I want to hear all about Matthew and Veronica. How are they? How are Dara and Justus?"

"Everyone is fine. The children love the house, especially the backyard. They played out there for hours. They really have fun together. It doesn't seem to take much to entertain them. They were thrilled that Mrs. Liden had been able to arrange for some of their belongings to be waiting for them."

"That must have been a great treat for them. Justus told me about that."

"He is on Cloud Nine, Mama. Dara is, too. I know they are going to make wonderful parents to those precious children."

Keesha stroked her daughter's hair. "I agree. Now you see why I wanted you to be with them if anything had happened to me?"

Julianna nodded. "I'm so glad they're in my life. But what I'm most thankful for is that I have you and Daddy. I can't believe I ever thought it didn't matter if I knew my father. After what's happened to Michael and now Matthew and Veronica, I'll never take either of you for granted again. I swear I won't."

"I believe you, sweetheart. I know you appreciate both your father and me."

"I do. And I love you both, too. So much."

"We love you, too. And you know that will never change."

Julianna nodded.

"So what do you have planned for tonight?" Keesha asked.

"Brooke Lynn mentioned getting together. I need to call her."

"You two have been getting along okay?"

"Very much. I like her and Lesley Lu. A lot."

Keesha gave a happy sigh.

"What's that for?" Julianna asked and then chuckled.

"It's nice to know there won't be a repeat of your father and Ned's tiresome rivalry. I don't think I could have stood that. Thank you for getting along with your cousin and for actually liking her. It just makes things easier and so much more pleasant. Maybe your father and Ned can learn a thing or two from their daughters about getting along. My motto is: it's never too late."

Julianna laughed outright. "Mama, you're silly. But you know. I haven't met Kristina yet."

"Just make sure you like her, too," Keesha said. "I don't care what it takes. Just like her."

"Okay," Julianna said and smiled. "For you, Mama. I'll make sure Kristina and I get along. No matter what she may be like or what she may do to me."

They heard the announcement on the PA system that visiting hours were ending in fifteen minutes.

"I guess I should go," Julianna said. "You'll be going to sleep soon."

Keesha shook her head. "I'm sure I'll be asleep, and then one of the nurses will be in to fuss over me unnecessarily, but eventually, I'll be left alone so I can sleep."

"Now you know how your patients felt when you used to fuss over them," Julianna teased. "And me, too."

Keesha huffed. "Thanks a lot! I took excellent care of you when you were sick, and this is the attitude you give me? You know, you and your father have been ganging up on me all day. What is this?"

Julianna grinned. "I'm sorry, Mama. I take back what I said. Sort of."

Keesha glared good-naturedly at her daughter, who laughed and held up her hands.

"I didn't know Daddy had given you a hard time. I swear I didn't. I'm just happy that you look so well and are so responsive. It's nice to have my mother back."

Her daughter's words appeased Keesha. Somewhat. "Well, you and your father had better remember this day when I get out of here and am feeling one hundred percent again. Because you're both in big trouble."

Julianna laughed as she kissed her mother good-bye. "I'll be sure to tell Daddy."

"And if you tell me he smirked at my comment and/or rolled those gorgeous eyes of his, I'm going to smack him. Hard. Maybe more than once."

"Mama! Are you going to make me have to save Daddy from your wrath? Because I'm not sure I'm up for that daunting task. But I will definitely warn him. He should be warned. Your wrath is brutal."

Julianna didn't know whether to be amused or scared for her father's well-being.

Keesha shrugged, but her eyes were sparkling. "You can try to save him. If you think he's worth it. And most definitely tell him what I said. Fearing my wrath will do him good. But leave out the part about how beautiful I think his eyes are. He doesn't need to hear that. At least, not while he's treating me badly. I want him to think he's on my list. My bad list."

Her daughter laughed. "Okay. I will. And I won't. I'm so confused. I hope you have a good night. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Bye, sweetheart. I love you."

"Love you, too."

*~*

As soon as Julianna stepped outside her mother's room, she heard the PA warning that visiting hours were ending in five minutes and walked nonchalantly down the corridor towards Michael's room. Looking at the nurses' station, she saw two unfamiliar nurses chatting. They didn't see Julianna head for his room.

Once she arrived at the door, she cracked it slightly and quickly scanned the dimly lit room for visitors. No one was present; Michael lay on his back, sound asleep. With the bag of cookies in her hand, she tiptoed inside and placed it on his bedside table. She told herself she needed to leave, but instead, she found herself standing next to Michael's bed, watching him sleep.

"You look so peaceful," she whispered. "I hope you're okay."

She wished she could spend more time with him, but she knew she was taking too big of a risk.

"I have to leave. I know you don't want me here, and visiting hours are over anyway. I had to see you. I had to see for myself that you're all right. I miss you so much. I'm so sorry you ended up here."

When she would have turned to leave, she stopped herself again and lightly, so as not to wake him, she brushed several strands of auburn hair away from his eyes. Touching him calmed her and satisfied the need she had to be close to him.

"I can leave now," she said, taking in every detail of his appearance and committing it all to memory. "But I can't guarantee I won't return. I have to see you. Maybe I'm being overdramatic, but spending time with you is like breathing for me. I just need to make sure you never find out. Get well soon, Michael. I miss you. I want my best friend back."