Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter 60

"It's really happening," Keesha said, her voice filled with wonder. "Julianna and I are returning to our home in Philadelphia. I can't believe it."

After Ellen gave Keesha the good news, she and A.J. and Julianna celebrated with a meal at the Grille. Now, they were in A.J.'s suite, packing for their respective trips.

"Tomorrow at this time, you'll be in your home," he said.

"And missing you," she said, wrapping her arms around his neck and hugging him. "So much."

"I'll be in Manhattan. That seems unreal, too."

"As soon as you find out about the project in Philadelphia, you'll let us know, right?"

"I promise I will."

"I love you, A.J."

He lowered his mouth to give hers a kiss. "I love you, too," he said, after ravishing her lips.

A knock on the door interrupted them.

"I'll get it," Julianna said, from the living room. "It's probably someone else dropping by to say good-bye."

She opened the door and gasped when she saw Michael standing on the other side.

"Hi," he said, feeling unsure of himself now that Julianna had answered the door.

But she looks so beautiful.

"Hi, Michael," she said, trying to get her heartbeat under control. "Come in."

"Thanks."

"How are you?" she asked, thinking he looked wonderful and sexier than ever.

"I'm good," he said, nodding. "How about you?"

"I'm fine."

"I...I heard you were leaving today. I wanted to say good-bye to you and your mom and A.J."

"They're in the bedroom doing some packing. I can get them for you."

"Sure, but in a minute, if you don't mind. I'd...I'd like to talk to you first."

"Of course."

"I...I've been working through some things," he began. "And because of that, I realize I need to apologize to you."

"Apologize? For what?"

Michael stuffed his hands inside the front pockets of his jeans. "I feel like such a fraud."

"What? Michael, what are you talking about?"

"When we first met over the Internet. Julianna, at that time, I felt as though I really had my life together, that I knew what I was doing. I was giving you advice when I should've been keeping my mouth shut. I guess that's the Spencer in me," he said with a self-deprecating chuckle.

"Michael, I don't think of you like that. I loved our talks. Do you know how much I looked forward to them? I couldn't wait to get online so I could see you. We were just stating how we felt about things."

"But you were in a rough place with your mom. I thought, because my mom had died, I knew everything there was to know about death and its consequences. Now I realize I knew nothing, and I certainly wasn't qualified to give you advice. But I'm learning, Julianna. I can honestly say I'm learning."

"Michael, do you think I only talked with you via the Web cam because I wanted advice about my mother? I mean, yes, it was something very important going on in my life, but I liked you. I liked talking with you, even if what we talked about was silly and immaterial. It was you I enjoyed spending my time with."

Michael visibly relaxed as he smiled. "I enjoyed it, too, Julianna. Very much. I let a bunch of stuff get in the way of that, though. The reason I'm telling you all of this is because I've been diligently working through my mother issues and my Sonny issues. When I was in the hospital, I finally allowed myself to cry genuine tears for my mother because of her tragic and unnecessary death and because of my devastating loss. They weren't angry, bitter tears; they were healing tears. I'm slowly learning how to let go of the anger I felt towards Sonny. The man is gone. He can't hurt me anymore, and I don't want to spend anymore of my time feeling angry and resentful towards him. I have a great dad. My grandmother is so special to me. My brother is awesome. My family is great, even if the relationships are wacky at times. My friends mean a lot to me, and you, Julianna, you are the best person to ever enter my life. If I had messed that up, I really would have never been able to forgive myself."

Julianna had tears in her eyes when he finished speaking. "You haven't messed up anything, Michael. I know I'm not supposed to feel this way. I'm too young, I don't know what I'm talking about, however the adults want to phrase it. But I know what I feel. In my heart. I love you, Michael. My feelings of friendship have turned to love. For you. I love you."

"Mine have, too," he said, his voice raw with emotion. "It took Lucas to point it out to me, but yeah. Whatever those feelings are that adults say we can't categorize as love because we're too young and don't know the true meaning, I don't believe them. Because my feelings for you are the most genuine and pure thing in my life. I love you so much, Julianna. I could not let you leave here without knowing that."

Looking at each other through tear-filled eyes, Julianna stepped into Michael's outstretched arms and let him hold her against him.

"I'm so glad you came to see me," she said, through her tears. "Thank you for loving me, Michael."

"I should've come sooner," he said, his own tears getting in the way. "But I was still too afraid. I'm so thankful I have Lucas to talk to. And I'm so very, very thankful that you love me, Julianna."

With tears in their eyes, Keesha and A.J. watched the two young people cling to each other as if their very lives depended on each other. When they finally broke apart, Michael wiped his eyes and pulled out a small wrapped package from his jacket pocket and handed it to Julianna.

"It was supposed to be your Christmas present, but I want you to have it now."

Julianna dried her eyes and then excitedly unwrapped the gift. What she saw when she opened the ring box made her squeal with delight. A ring with two gold hearts intertwined sat in the cushioned box.

"It's a friendship ring," Michael said, gently stroking her hair as she looked up at him adoringly.

"For now. I want to be with you, Julianna. And I don't want anyone coming between us."

She hugged him again. "I want that, too. Thank you, Michael. Thank you so much. I will wear it all the time. I'll never take it off. It's beautiful."

"Just like you, my precious one," Michael said, holding her close and wishing he had the power to make her stay so she would never leave him.

"He stole my line," A.J. whispered, and then chuckled to a weepy Keesha, who wanted to hug both of them.

She told him to hush. "Besides, you never called me your precious one," she said, and then chuckled, too.

"That's because you're my very special angel," he said, and then kissed her temple.

When Julianna and Michael had pulled themselves together, she asked her mother and father to come into the room. She proudly showed off her ring.

"It's beautiful," Keesha said, echoing her daughter's sentiment. "And so very thoughtful of you, Michael."

"Thanks," he said, embarrassed. "I know we won't be living in the same town anymore, but I wanted Julianna to know she's the only one for me."

"I definitely know it," she said. "And I feel the exact same way."

She couldn't stop gazing at her ring.

"I know you have a lot to do," Michael said, "so I'll be going. I just wanted to wish you a great trip. Keesha, I'm so happy that things worked out for you. You look radiant."

"Thank you, Michael. I'm very glad you're doing better, too. Give me a hug."

Michael gladly obliged.

"I know we'll be talking and seeing you," Keesha said. "So this is just good-bye for now."

"Sounds good to me," Michael said.

He looked at A.J. "What about you? Are you heading back to Manhattan?"

"Yes. As soon as I make sure Keesha and Julianna are all right, I'll be heading home."

"It's been so good to see you again," Michael said, his emotions rising to the surface once more. "Thank you, A.J., for everything you have done for me. There's no way I can ever repay you. My only hope is that you know how truly grateful I am that you are in my life. I wouldn't be standing here today if it hadn't been for you. I'll never, ever forget you. I love you."

Michael embraced an extremely emotional A.J.

"I'll never forget you either, Michael. Even though, biologically, you're not my son, you are one in my heart. You always have been, and you always will be. I love you, too, and I wish you nothing but happiness and success in whatever you do."

Too emotional to speak, Michael simply nodded his heartfelt thanks.

After they all took a moment to collect themselves, Michael told them he needed to be going.

"Wait a minute," Julianna said.

She ran into the bedroom and returned carrying a CD case. She handed it to a surprised Michael.

"I'm sorry it's not wrapped," she said. "It was going to be your Christmas present, but I want you to have it now."

"What is it?" he asked.

She looked at three pairs of curious eyes. "It's a CD Brooke Lynn let me record. I wrote a song for you, Michael, and I put it to music. I hope you like it."

"I'm sure I'll love it," he said, overwhelmingly touched by such a thoughtful gift from such a wonderfully thoughtful young lady.

He opened the CD case to look at the recording. She had written the title on it.

"We Were Meant To Be"
"Words and music by Julianna Mae Ward Quartermaine"
"Sung by your special 'Jule'"

"I love it," Michael said. "I'll treasure it always. Thank you so much."

He embraced Julianna one more time and then turned to leave, promising he would listen to the song as soon as he got home.

"I'll send you an e-mail, or better yet a text message, to tell you how much I love it," he said and smiled.

She returned his smile with a soft one of her own. "I can't wait to read it," she assured him.

"Walk me to the elevator?" he asked, reaching for her hand.

"Sure," she answered, already anticipating the kiss she hoped they would share.

She was not disappointed. Once Michael made sure they were alone, he lowered his head and captured her soft pliant lips with his and then wrapped his arms around her, pulling her closer. She moaned quietly when he parted her mouth so his tongue could glide into her mouth, which caused her to lean into him more. She loved tasting him again and being in his arms. As the kiss lingered and grew deeper, she knew she had made the right decision. Michael was the only for her. She couldn't imagine being with anyone else.

Framing her lovely face within the palms of his hands, Michael smiled when they finally broke apart.

"I couldn't leave here without kissing you to remind you how much you mean to me. I know we can't be together right now, Julianna, but know in your heart that there's no one else for me. Because there isn't."

"I feel the exact same way," she assured him, and then kissed him again to make sure he knew how much she cared for him.

*~*


When Julianna returned to the suite, she told her parents she needed to say something.

"I hope the two of you don't mind," she began.

"Mind about what?" Keesha asked.

"The title I used for the song I wrote for Michael? The two of you inspired me. After all my fussing and complaining and not wanting to know my father, I've come to realize something very important this summer."

"What's that?" A.J. asked, placing his arms around the two women in his life and holding them close.

She looked at her parents and then graced them with a wide smile. "The two of you were so meant to be."

A.J. turned his attention to Keesha and smiled at her. "We so were," he agreed.

It was Keesha's turn to comment. "If our daughter says it's so, then it's true. You and me, baby. We were definitely meant to be."