Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Aww shoot ya'll I hardly know what to say.  Life has been hard but I'm glad to be writing again.  This is the first of 4 new chapters I'm posting today, I hope ya'll like!

Special shout out to Divisionred for kicking me in my butt about finishing my damn stories lol.  And thanks to Minx for helping me get my groove back!




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Audre rushed around the bedroom of her condo. One was foot clad in a converse low top the other one bare, as she hunted for her other shoe.  She looked up as she heard the sound of the buzzer, her eyes drifted to the clock.  Shit.  It was already 6:45pm, she was running late.  She went over to the intercom and pushed the button.

"Hello?"

"It's me."  The deep voice on the other end replied.

"Me who?"  She responded teasingly.

"The guy standing outside in the pouring rain holding a heavy ass box." 

"What kind of box?"

"It's a surprise.  Let me up already!"  He said.  She buzzed him up pulling open the door, watching as he shook the water out of his hair. He climbed the steps to her place with a giant, wide, plastic box in his hands.  He looked up at her grinning.

"What's that?" She asked, as she opened the door wider inviting him in. 

"You'll see.  Should I take off my shoes?"

Her eyes dropped to his wet work boots, then lifted to his lopsided smile. Cute.  Messy, but cute.

"Nah, we'll be leaving soon." 

She was inwardly cringing somewhat but she convinced herself it wasn't that big of a deal, she could just mop up her hardwood floors tomorrow.  Besides she was determined to prove she wasn't the stuffy, anal person that everyone had her pegged as. With a tinge of trepidation, she watched as he set down the wet box.  Maybe I'll mop up tonight.  She thought to herself as she winced at the sound of his shoes sloshing across her floor with every step. He stopped to lean in, pressing a kiss sweetly upon her lips.  She instantly forgot about her poor floors. Her body melted into him. The droplets of rain from his hair and nose sprinkled her lightly.  He pulled away, eyes locked on just her, taking in her fitted white tee shirt and jeans. His ice blue eyes continued the journey up to her ponytail which was pulled high on her head.  She hadn't had a chance to put on her makeup yet. Without it she looked more like a fresh faced college student than a high powered attorney.

"I like this casual look on you.  Not that the power suits and dominatrix pumps aren't smoking hot, they definitely . . . definitely are.  But this is nice too."   He said jokingly pulling her bouncy ponytail.

"Thanks."  She eyed his wet hand skeptically even she smiled brightly. Clearly he didn't know rainwater was like Kryptonite for the black woman with relaxed hair, but she figured that could be a conversation for another time. 

He turned his attention from her. She watched him take in his surroundings. A slow walk around her place, his eyes bounced off every detail. What was he thinking? Possibly that it was less sterile than he expected, considering her conservative image. She had to agree, looking at her place from his perspective. Red painted walls and comfortable looking brown leather furniture with jewel toned accents, this was who she was which was different from the image she purposefully tried to portray.

"I really like your place."  He announced.

"Thank you, I do too."

"Where do you paint?" 

"I haven't done any painting since I bought this place.  But when I draw, I like to sit over there."  She nodded towards the space by the large bay window.  He walked over to the box and picked it up, moving it to the window.

"You have an easel?"

"Downstairs in storage, why?" 

He opened the box.

"I remember you telling me that you used to like painting with acrylics.  So I brought some supplies. Maybe if you, you know, ever feel like starting up again you can."  He opened the top and Audre squatted, looking inside.

"You bought all this for me?"  Her eyes were wide as she surveyed the contents: stretched canvas, paints, brushes and materials.

"Well," he paused, his cheeks reddening and then nodded, "This art store that was down the street from me went out of business. They were practically giving the stuff away when I bought supplies I bought like 20 of everything practically.  So technically, no, I didn't buy it for you but I'll be happy if you use it."  She ran her hand over the synthetic brush bristles pensively.  "So. . .what do you think?"

"This is great, thank you Christian I...I can't believe you did this."

"I have selfish motivations.  I'm hoping one day when you start painting again, that maybe you'll paint something for me." 

She eyed him doubtfully.

"Seriously, you want my artwork? C'mon, you're a professional. I'm...hey you know...I'm just an amateur."

"So?"

"So the only thing you've seen that I've done is that tattoo which was just a doodle, you might hate my painting."  He shrugged.

"Tell you what, why don't you paint something and I'll be the judge of that.  Don't worry, I'll tell you if it's shit." 

Audre shook her head--ponytail swaying. She looked back up and saw how genuine he was.  No one had really taken an interest in her art other than her professors and art friends from college. It was nice. Taking a step closer she cocked her head to the side.   "I have no doubt."  She then leaned in and kissed him on the cheek.  "Thank you this was really sweet."  But the truth was that Audre was a little weary.  She had all but abandoned her art a long time ago, other than random doodles she just didn't think she had it in her anymore, not really. 

"Thank me by painting."  He said forcing her to meet his eyes, they stared at each other for a long moment before he glanced down at the floor.  "Don't you need two shoes to go out?"  He gave a pointed look at her one bare foot.

"Yeah I gotta find my other shoe. I'll be ready in a second.  The kitchen's that way. Get yourself something to drink if you'd like. I've got to...um...find my other shoe."  She said as she turned towards her bedroom.

Audre limped back into her bedroom. Immediately the hunt resumed. She dug around the back of her closet for her long lost converse, it had been a while since she had actually worn them.  "Ah ha!" she exclaimed as she snatched it free of her tangled jungle of 4 inch stilettos and boots. A triumphant smile played over her lips, as she stuffed her foot inside.  She walked to her vanity and eyed her makeup. She didn't have time to do her usual routine so she settled for lip-gloss and a dab of mascara.  When she re-emerged from her bedroom she found Christian standing in front of her largest living room wall staring at all the pictures.  He turned to the sounds of her footsteps, a brow quirked, his eyes questioning.   

"Are these pictures all of your family?"

"Yep, this is my wall o' relations."  Audre waved her hand outward at the display. She stopped and stood next to him looking over the smiling faces.  He pointed at one picture.

"That your parents?"

"That's them.  Abram and Mattie Anne Highsmith."  Audre gazed upon the old photograph encased in a Tiffany silver frame. It was from the 70s. Her dad was wearing an old school apple hat and bell bottom jeans, staring up at her mom adoringly as she sat on his lap.  Her mom was wearing a long, flowing sun dress and wide brim hat, her head thrown back as though she was laughing at something he had said, one slender hand holding her hat to keep it from blowing away.  It seemed as though they were oblivious to the phantom photographer, who had captured a pure moment of them basking in their new love. This was her favorite picture of them. Soon she found herself smiling, when her eyes slipped over to him she was surprised to see him smile as well.

"They look happy."

"They were, they still are. . .most of the time." 

"Your mom's beautiful.  You look like her." 

Audre's eyes widened in surprise. "Really, I never thought I looked anything like her.  I mean she's like this glamorous curvy, southern belle, and I'm all lips and skinny legs."

"You've got her eyes."  He was looking at her now. She was drawn to that stare. His eyes were intense, the color of rain. Such a soft clear blue she wanted to slip into them. They leisurely traveled from hers down to her mouth.  "I don't know whose lips you got but they're sexy as hell . . .they suit you."  Audre could feel the flush rising in her cheeks. 

"Thanks, I like your lips too."  She said, her voice soft and shy, she spied a wicked smile on his lips at her weakening.

"You do do ya?" He asked moistening his lips as if her admission was an invitation.

"See give a man a compliment and it goes straight to his head."  She joked, he didn't laugh, instead his eyes still focused on her mouth. "So. . .are your parents cool about the whole interracial dating thing?"  Audre blurted out.  He looked at her in surprise, it was a random change in conversation but she was afraid that if they kept talking about lips it would lead down a path that she wasn't ready for yet, especially when his looked so damn kissable.

"Not that I would really give a shit if they did, but the only requirement that my parents put on my dates is that they be mentally stable.  My first serious girlfriend was a bit of a psychopath, for lack of a better way to put it."

"A psychopath? That's deep. How so?"

"For valentine's day she gave me a picture that she used her own blood to draw."

"Um seriously?"  Audre noise pinched in disgust.  "Did you accept it?"

"What can I say, I was heavy into the Sex Pistols at the time so she was kind of like the Nancy to my Sid."

"Okay you do know that Sid killed Nancy right?"

"Yes, but I was 16, I thought relationships were supposed to be dramatic."  Audre just stared blankly at him.  "Okay, I was smoking a lot of pot and experimenting with mind altering drugs back then too."

"Yeah obviously."

"Anyways Crystal had a flair for the dramatics, so that was just kind of the tip of the iceberg.  One time when we had a fight she left a pig's heart with a nail driven through it on our doorstep.  My mom flipped out. Crystal wasn't even allowed on our grass after that. Anytime she would come around my mom, she would start sprinkling holy water around and reciting some weird prayer.  My family's not even Catholic; she heard it on the Exorcist." 

Audre tried to bite back a laugh.

"You can laugh, it was pretty funny. . .in retrospect."

"Thank you."  Audre said, then exploded in laughter.

"Anyways, after that whole experience the girl could be purple for all they care. . .hell the girl could be a dude as long as he/she isn't certifiable, they're okay with it." Audre laughed even louder, holding her stomach.

"Okay it's not that funny.  I loved that girl." 

"Oh hell yes it is.  And for the record I can assure you I'm not certifiable, a little batty maybe, but you will never find a pig's heart on your doorstep from me."  Audre laughed even harder. 

"That's a relief."  Christian laughed a little as well.  As they sobered he glanced at his watch.

"We better get going; the bout starts at 7:30." 

"Okay."  Audre grabbed her trench, umbrella and purse as they headed towards the door.  She locked the door and they went downstairs, Christian's hand on her lower back gently guiding her towards his car.  She blinked when she saw the large silverish-purple vintage car in front of her place. 

bel air

"That's your car?"

"Yep that's my baby."

"Wow, 1957 Chevy Bel Air, I'm surprised and then I'm not." She gave him the side-eye. "It totally fits you." 

"What? You know about cars?"

Audre shrugged. "Yeah I know a little something, something about cars.  Why is that so shocking?" 

He cocked one eyebrow at her. 

Audre laughed, "Christian, there's a lot you don't know about me."

"Damn, I see."  He said as he unlocked the door and opened it, helping her into the car. 

"Thanks."  She said. She closed her umbrella and slid into the butter leather seats, the car was beautiful it was obvious a lot of work had been put into restoring it.  Even the cd player, which could've easily stuck out like a sore thumb and taken away from the classic beauty of the car, was designed to fit in subtlety.  She leaned over to pop the lock on the driver's side letting Christian in.  He got inside, slicking back his wet hair. 

"I knew you were one of the great ones."  He said grinning at her, Audre frowned at him.

"What?" 

"Never mind, it's just some stupid line from a movie."  He mumbled as he started the car and pulled out and onto the street. 

"You restore her yourself?"  Audre checked out the inside detail, impressed. 

"Uh huh, took two years, countless hours, more money than a small business owner should spend on a car, especially when I don't drive her everyday.  But Bettie's worth it."

"Bettie, that's her name?" 

He smiled.

"Yeah, it fit." 

Audre laughed.

"Does Bettie have a 700rh transmission?"

"For sure, you can't half step it with a th350."  He turned to look at her curiously.  "So how do you know about cars anyways?" 

Audre just grinned, loving the fact that she could surprise him with her knowledge. 

"Yeah okay, you've managed to shock the hell out of me, duly noted Ms. Highsmith." 

Audre threw her head back and laughed for a moment before finally answering him.

"My grandpa was really big into restoring things. It was one of his hobbies. He was good with his hands.  He and my grandma lived right up the road from my school, I used to hang out in his garage and help him restore stuff cars, furniture, and transistor radios, whatever.  He'd crank up the radio and we'd sing along to blues or country songs." 

Christian smiled, Audre looked at him for a moment.  "You know, you kind of remind me of him, cocky, opinionated, funny, doesn't give a shit about what anyone else thinks."

"Sounds like my type of guy, we should definitely hang out."  Audre's smile faded a little.

"He died when I was 13." 

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be."  She said quickly.  They rode in silence for a few minutes but it was a comfortable silence, Audre looked out of the window. She stared out at the lake and the trees zipping by as they drove up Lake Shore Drive. 

He leaned over and turned on the cd player.  Audre instantly recognized the song playing as a cover of an old blues song, it would've been easy to hate on it under the accepted notion that covers are hardly ever better than the original.  But something about the singer's voice appealed to her.  "I like this."  Audre announced a couple of songs later.

"That's The White Stripes, one of my favorite modern bands.  They're not Robert Johnson which even the lead singer himself admits, but . . .I don't know, it's pretty good I think."

"I agree, I'll definitely have to check them out." 

They pulled into a parking garage and headed into the sports pavilion. Together they joined the sea of people lining up at the doors.  Once inside they were treated to the loud sounds of rock music, blasted throughout the pavilion.  Christian guided them to their seats in the third row and helped Audre take off her jacket before getting her settled.

"You want a drink or food or something?"  He asked her.

"Are you gonna get something?"

"I could go for a hotdog and a cold beer."

"I'll have the same thing you're having."

"You want a hotdog and beer?"

"Um. . .do they have martinis?" 

Christian laughed.

"No but they have wine . . .if you don't mind the kind that comes in a box." 

"Yeah, um no.  I'll just have a beer. . .and a bottle of water." 

He nodded standing up. "I'll be back." 

As he went off to get the food Audre took the time to really absorb the scene. Christian squired ring-side seats. So close they could probably touch the skaters as they passed by.  It was a raucous atmosphere with an interesting mix of hipsters, metal rockers, and typical Midwestern families all in a merry mood. 

People were wearing their team colors and face paint, waving pompoms and signs.  Audre looked to the floor and uncovered the source of the loud music, an all girl band was playing a set and people were dancing and singing along, Audre had never seen or heard them before but she got into the spirit of things. Chair dancing to the music as the pavilion filled up with people. 

Audre heard someone clear their throat purposefully and looked up seeing a guy standing over her smiling.  He looked Latino. Olive skin, long brown dreads and warm brown eyes, he was holding a beer in his hand. 

juanpa

Juan Pablo "Juanpa" Carranza 

 

He nodded to the seat on the other side of her.

"I'm sitting over there."  He said.  Audre smiled in return and stood as he passed her by, he took off his coat and flopped down next to her, getting comfortable.  He eyed her a couple of times, not in a lecherous way, more curious than anything.

"You Audre?"  He asked finally.  She looked at him surprised.

"Yeah."  She said, cautiously.  He stuck out his hand.

"I'm Juanpa."  Audre's eyes widened in recognition.

"Christian's friend and business partner."  She said as she took his hand.  "Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too, I've heard all about you."

"Uh oh, that's nerve wracking."

"Why is that?"

"I'm guessing the description was something along the lines of anal, uptight creepy lawyer type who doesn't know how to let go.  Am I right?"  

He looked at her thoughtfully, taking a sip of his beer before he answered.

"Actually that's not how he described you at all."

"It isn't?"

"No it isn't."  He said, Audre waited for him to elaborate but he didn't.

"So, what did he say about me?  Just out of curiosity." 

"Cute, smart and funny."

"Funny that could mean anything.  Did he say funny like funny haha, or funny like weird?"

"He just said funny."  Juanpa said taking a sip of his beer.  "He also said you have a tendency to overanalyze things." 

Audre frowned.

"I do not overanalyze.  I mean yes, okay, maybe I do have a tendency to think deeply about things but I'm just a naturally analytical person. I wouldn't say that I'm over analytical. Just acutely analytical."  She gave an indignant huff. 

"Okay."  Juanpa said.  Audre nodded. They sat there awkwardly for a second.  She became aware of how narcissistic she potentially seemed to this person whom she had just met.  Quit while you're behind Audre.  She told herself.

"Have you been to roller derby before?"   He asked her, Audre visibly relaxed.

"No, I'm a derby virgin." 

Juanpa laughed. It was a rich deep sound. 

"Is that so?"  His brown eyes sparkled playfully.  He leaned forward and pointed towards the track in front of them.  "Basically two teams of five play what they call "bouts" that's where skaters score points by doing full circuits of the track. Passing as many opponents as possible.  It can be kind of confusing at first but once you get into it, it's pretty fun."

"Yeah I googled it."  Audre said excitedly.  "I saw that each team has a jammer, which is the only player that can score points, then you have three blockers that try to stop the other team's jammer--" She briefly paused as she took her Altoids out of her purse, popped one in her mouth before offering one to him. "--and then you have a pivot which I'm not so clear on but I figured I'd get the hang of it eventually. . ."  Her voice trailed off as she noticed Juanpa looking at her, amusement clear in his eyes.  She felt like a total geek.  "So now I'm totally playing into the anal, uptight creepy lawyer stereotype aren't I?"

"Nah."  He gave her a relaxed chuckle, "Okay, maybe a little bit, but it's cool that you googled. Most people probably wouldn't give enough of a shit to do that.  Plus there's something oddly endearing in your ramblings, its fun listening to you talk. Check out how your hands flail back and forth."

"Um. . .thanks?"  She said.  He struck her as the type that didn't talk much yet he had an easy, laid back manner about him that she liked.  Despite his chill demeanor though, she had a strong feeling that nothing escaped his observation, and the twinkle in his eyes seemed to suggest that he was in on some big joke that no one else got.  "So, why is your wife's nickname Predator?"  She asked him.

"Oh you'll find out in about 5 minutes."

"Find out what?"  Christian asked as he moved to sit down, handing Audre her food and drink while balancing his own.

"Why all your beautiful dates dump you as soon as they meet me."  Juanpa said winking at Audre mischievously. She just laughed and shook her head.

"Yeah right."  Christian scoffed.  "Until Maggie put the cupid chokehold on ya the only reason you even got dates was because girls felt sorry for you--pity dates dude, pity dates..."

"Whatever, the only pity is that back in my player days there wasn't enough of me to share with all the pretty ladies."

"You better not let Maggie hear you talking like that. She'd probably revert to Predator and do a kamikaze on your ass."

"My baby's got nothing to worry about she knows she's all the woman I need and then some."

"She's also the only one that could deal with your ass."

"Lovely Audre here was dealing just fine until you came over."

"Hey I'm not EVEN getting involved with this pissing contest."  Audre said laughing at the guys and their good natured ribbing, she could tell they probably had back and forth's like this everyday.

"So I see you got a chance to meet this raggedly chump over here."  Christian said tilting his head towards Juanpa.

"Raggedy chump?" Juanpa said incredulously, he turned towards Audre.  "See now I can understand what Hilts sees in you, the question is what do you see in this skinny pale boy over here?"

"Hilts?"   Audre laughed as she turned to Christian who was rolling his eyes.  "Your nickname is Hilts?  Why's that?" 

"Because he's the master escape artist."  Juanpa interjected laughing, Audre noticed that Christian was not at all amused at the turn the conversation had taken.

"What did he escape from?"  Audre asked as Juanpa laughed even harder.

"You'll have to ask him that." 

Audre looked at Christian.

"Never mind, it's just some stupid story from college." 

Audre looked back and forth to each guy.

"Why do I get the feeling there's a crazy story behind that?"

"Because there is."  Juanpa said still laughing.  "But I ain't telling it."  

Audre looked at Christian.

"Oh come on, this has to be good.  You gotta tell me now." 

Christian leaned in and whispered in her ear. "That depends, what are you offering?"  He said, his voice as smooth and flow easy. It sent a familiar tingle through her one she immediately shook off.   

"Um. . .not that cowboy."  Audre replied trying not to get caught up in the light fragrance of his citrus spice aftershave.  His smiled widened as though he could read her mind before he pulled away.

"Too bad.  Then my lips are sealed." He took a bite of his hotdog.  She punched him playfully in the shoulder.

"Whatever Hilts."  She said as she took a bite of her own hotdog.

"Alright lovebirds, enough with the subliminal foreplay my lady's about to start busting some broads any minute."  Juanpa announced as he took another sip of his beer. 

Just then the lights dimmed and the announcer came on and announced the teams.  The crowd got on their feet cheering on the Manic Attacker's versus the Hell's Belles, which was Predator's team.  It didn't take long for Audre to figure out where the Predator moniker came from. 

predator

Margaret aka "Maggie" aka "Predator" Carranza 

 

The woman was a tiny powerhouse, barely breaking 5'3, she had a wild mane of dreads and a raw energy she put off that was intimidating.  She stalked the floor in a red mini skirt and took the girls on the opposing team down like it was her life's mission.

Predator had massive fans. It was evident in the way people waved their signs and chanted her name throughout the bout.  And she played to the crowd, at one point stopping after a particular vicious hit to take a handful of popcorn offered by one of her adoring fans.  But it was obvious that Juanpa was her biggest fan as he cheered her on, shouting loudly.  Every time she delivered a heavy hit to her opponent, he would turn to Audre and Christian.

"Did you see that?  Look how badass my chick is!"  

And Predator seemed equally enamored of her husband, blowing kisses to him or making funny faces whenever she skated by.  Audre got in on the action, yelling and cheering on Predator's antics.  Normally violence and women beating each other up wasn't really her thing, yet violence and women beating each other up on roller skates somehow seemed downright charming. 

The opposing teams both egged and cheered their opponents on, even high fiving after they took each other to the ground.  It was a competition but also good natured entertainment where everyone including the spectators were invited to get involved.  Plus it was hard not to get into the festive atmosphere and all the entertainment they had going on between breaks.  By time it was all done, Audre was out of breath and losing her voice.  She couldn't believe how much fun she was having.

 






Chapter End Notes:
Very extra special thanks to Minx for beta-ing this chapter and helping me with my self confidence!