Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


"So how was your first derby experience?"  Juanpa asked, as they gathered up their things.

"It was fantastic! I'd give it a 10."  Audre said breathlessly.

"So that means you'll be back then?"

"For sure!  I'm officially a derby convert."

Christian looked at Audre, a sly smile to his lips, eyes gleaming.

"Nice. You two up for meeting the team for drinks?"  Juanpa asked, but gave his boy the eye to see if he was cool. Men and their codes. Audre smirked at the little exchange.

"Yeah I'd love to meet everyone." She said.

"You sure?  You don't have to work tomorrow?" She could hear the surprise in Christian voice. When turning to look over she saw a spark of excitement.

"I do but it's still early enough, I'm up for it." 

The three of them headed to a bar called the O'Leary's Pub. A welcoming Irish themed spot with a covered beer garden out back.  The place was packed shoulder to shoulder as fans from both teams poured in from the Pavilion.  Some drunk asshole slammed up against Audre pushing her into Christian's back. 

Oh hell to the no.

This was definitely not Audre's scene, and if she got a drink poured on her, she was going to have to hurt someone pointblank.  Christian pulled her around in front of him, his body becoming something of a make shift shield, she relaxed slightly against him as they moved towards the back.  Juanpa cleared the way, making a path through the crowd to the bar. The bartender spotted him immediately, passing off drinks and nodding in greeting to towards. Audre noticed the guy behind the bar was cute: tall, shaggy brown hair, and brilliant jade green eyes. He looked no older than his early 20s, and like Christian and Juanpa, he had visible tattoos.  Something about him seemed familiar.  He leaned on the bar.

"What's up J, Hilts?  Predator take em down?" He yelled over the crowd

"You know she did."  Juanpa boasted. Mr. Green-eyes looked at Audre, giving her the brief once over.

"And you are?"He called out, giving a lopsided grin.

"Audre."

"Audre, I've seen you before haven't I?"  He asked, his eyes narrowed.

"You may have seen her when she came into the shop a while ago to get a tattoo."  Christian said, he turned to Audre.  "Sam's one of our artists."  

Sam snapped his fingers in recognition.  "Oh right, you're the one that had Hilts all huffy!"  He said laughing.

"Huffy, I made you huffy?" Audre asked, smiling up at Christian, who cocked an eyebrow, indignant arrogance clear on his face.

"Negative.  Was definitely not huffy." 

"You were a little huffy."  Juanpa said shrugging his shoulders.

"How would you know you weren't there?"

"Juno told me the story."

"Story there was no story." Christian eyes darted between his boys, Audre noticed how careful he was to avoid her questioning stare.

"You were walking around muttering something about spoiled chicks and their moms, then you said something about great asses, it was pretty funny the way Juno told it to me on the phone, actually he has your voice down pat." 

"Hey!  Spoiled?" Audre pouted, elbowing Christian. He gave a playful wince at the poke as she cast him the side-eye.

"What I want to know is what the hell is up with a bunch of tatted up grown ass dudes gossiping in the shop like little middle school girls?"  Christian said looking at Juanpa and Sam. "And,"  Christian said turning to Audre. "By the way I could tell by the disdain in your eyes that you were thinking all sorts of not so nice things about the little punk covered in tattoos trying to give you advice."

"I wanted a tattoo not Dr. Phil in Converse, so yes, I found you to be a cocky asshole."

"And I forgive you for that."

"Do you?"

"Mm hmm, just like I'm sure you forgive me for jumping to the sort of wrong conclusion about you."  He wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her towards him, giving her his best puppy dog look.

"Sort of?"

"Well, I still think you're a little spoiled but I'm enjoying you proving me wrong."

"Trust me, anytime Hilts gets his panties in a bunch, it's a big deal because it pretty much never happens.  It means he must have liked you."  Juanpa winked at Audre.  "Isn't that cute, you made him huffy."

"That is pretty damn cute." Audre laughed. Christian kissed her on the nose. Sam laughed too, leaning on the bar until Christian gave him the death stare. He still hadn't forgiven him for bringing the subject up in the fist place.  Sam cleared his throat.

"The usual for yous two?"  He called out to Juanpa and Christian.  They both nodded. 

"And what drink will the lovely lady be having?"  Sam eyes again leveled on Audre.

"I'll have what they're having." 

He nodded pulled out three glasses, filling them with spotted cow beer, setting the glasses in front of them. Juanpa went to pull out his money but Sam shook his head.

"C'mon man, you know your money is no good here, what would I look like charging my two favorite bosses for drinks."

"Smooth." Audre laughed as she took a sip of her beer.

"I thought so."  Sam gave her another cocky grin. "So how the hell did Hilts pull you?" 

"Right so you do know all the props you get for the free drinks will be totally wiped out by hitting on my date?"  Christian said staring at him hard. 

"I wouldn't dream of hitting on your date, just acknowledging that she's too good for you."

"Don't worry, I already told him that."  Juanpa said laughing. 

Sam moved on to help other customers while the three of them sipped their beers, Christian's arm still wrapped comfortably around Audre's waist holding her against his firm chest. She tried, unsuccessfully, not to get too comfortable with the feeling.  Juanpa pulled out a pack of cigarettes and nodded towards the beer garden.

"I'm gonna have a smoke, why don't you two grab a table upstairs before it gets too crowded?" Juanpa said. 

Christian nodded, and Juanpa winked at Audre again before slipping back through the crowd. Audre noticed that Christian kept his arm protectively around her, giving the eye to any guy and even some of the women (apparently Roller Derby was a haven for lesbians) as they headed towards the staircase.  The feminist/independent side of Audre didn't care for that- unfortunately that side was losing the battle to the other 90% of her thought it was really hot.  They climbed the stairs and found a cozy wooden booth tucked away in the corner, huddling close so they didn't have to yell over the music. 

"Will Juanpa see us all the way back here?"

"Yeah this is where we usually sit."  They sat for a while, sipping their beer. Finally after a while Audre couldn't resist a little good natured ribbing.

"So. . .Mr. McCool, Christian ‘Hilts' Mueller got huffy over little ole me?" Audre asked, batting her eyelashes with dramatic flare.  Christian laughed.

"Now who's letting things go to their head?" He asked, as he slipped his arm around back of the booth.  "And for the record, this'll be the last time we hang out with my Judas friends."

"Okay you SO didn't answer my question.  Is it true, did you get a little huffy?"

"Yeah maybe your little jab about my skull tattoo kind of hurt my feelings." 

Audre burst into laughter.

"Yeah right, you didn't get your feelings hurt because I didn't want your therapy."

"Yeah I did, a little bit."

"No. What hurt your feelings was that I wasn't swooning over those beautiful baby blues of yours."

"Is that right?"

"Uh huh, I know your type. Used to getting your way, the bad boy with the charm.  Probably used to some moony-eyed college girl falling into your chair and begging you to put a tramp stamp on her lower back." 

Christian drew back, looking at her in mock hurt. "Is that what you think of me?"

"Yep, and it's true too.  You think you're the only one that read people Mr. Mueller?"  She teased.

"Well you're wrong about the bad boy thing."

"Is that so?"

"It is, I'll have you know I'm a very good boy."

"I thought you said you were a naughty boy?"

"I can be, if you like. If you're wearing those strappy shoes you like to wear."

Audre eyes dropped to her beer, having a flashback to Jenelle talking about freaky white boys. 

"Aw you're blushing."  Christian said laughing.

"Am not."

"Are too."

"How can you tell?"

"What you think because you're black I can't see you blushing?"  He asked. "Well I can.  Your cheeks get a rosy glow to them." He pinched her cheek.  Audre laughed, but Christian's eyes got serious.  "Damn you look all cute and innocent, I almost feel guilty for wanting to take advantage of you." He said, his finger lightly stroking her cheek. 

She looked up at into the deep blue of his eyes. Intense. Watchful. She lost her breath for a second.  She bit her lip and his eyes followed the movement.  She liked how sexy he made her feel, she didn't know if she had ever felt this desired before. She grabbed his tee shirt, pulling him towards her and pressed a sweet kiss to his lips. His groan came from some place deep rumbling in his throat. He pulled her even closer, his hand cupping her chin as he deepened the kiss. Her eyes closed as their breath mingled, the faint of taste of beer and peppermint lingering, their mouths molding together perfectly.  She moved onto his lap and his hands immediately moved to her jean clad thighs as she snuggled against him, their mouths never leaving each other.

"Wait. . ."  Christian said into her mouth as Audre tried to pull him even closer.  "We gotta stop. . .Juanpa. . ."

"Shut up."  Audre murmured. Her hand disappeared under his shirt, feeling the tight muscles of his stomach.

"Audre," He panted again, a little firmer this time but still not quite breaking the kiss.  Audre lightly nipped his lip before pulling back, realizing that he was right, this was neither the time nor the place. But damn did it felt nice.

"Guess I couldn't resist those beautiful baby blues after all."  Audre said as she straightened his shirt before picking up her beer, a self satisfied smirk on her face. He looked at her slightly bewildered.

"Where the hell did that come from?"

"I was just proving a point."

"What point is that?"

"That I'm not that innocent and that sometimes I do, do things just for me."

"Point proven."  Christian said grinning.

"Thank you."  Audre replied.

"On second thought. . .maybe I need a little more convincing."  Christian leaned in to kiss her again when they heard someone clearing his throat loudly.

"What's up you two?"  Juanpa said sly grin on his face. He strolled over, set down two glasses of beer as he pulled over a chair.

"What took you so long?"  Christian asked.

"Didn't think I'd be missed.  Besides I had to collect the wife."

"Where is she now?"  Audre asked.

"She's taking pictures with some fans, she'll be over shortly."  He said, he tucked his hand under his chin like a teenager.  "So. . .what'd I miss?"

"Not much."  Christian said, running his fingers through his hair. Juanpa just looked at him dubiously.

"Ahoy-hoy!"  Predator called out as she sat plopped down on Juanpa's lap and set down four shot glasses and a bunch of lemons.  She was freshly showered and changed out of her derby uniform.  Now, sitting there in Birkenstocks and tee shirt with the earth on it, she looked nothing like the hardcore warrior on roller skates that she was earlier.  Her eyes flipped up and locked in on Audre. 

"Hi there."

"Hi," Audre nodded.

"Cool that you came out tonight, thanks!"  She said holding out her hand. Audre found her grip strong. She spoke with a strong Chicago south side accent.

"I'm Audre."  She said returning the shake. 

"I know, I've heard all about you."  Predator said, with a cryptic smile.  Audre didn't really want to dwell on the implications of the statement; it was said in a friendly enough tone. But she could feel that Predator seemed to be sizing her up and inputting all sorts of data about her for future reference. It was also clear that she was fiercely protective of Christian.

"Do you prefer Predator or Maggie?"

"Predator when I'm in roller derby mode, but outside of that you can call me Maggie."  She turned to Christian.  "Nice lip-gloss champ."  She winked at him before she took a drink of the beer Juanpa had brought over.  Christian quickly wiped his mouth and took a sip of his own beer.  "So what did you think of it all, Christian told me that was your first time at a derby bout?"  Maggie asked her.

"It was amazing, you're a great jammer that one headlock take down move you did was pretty fucking brilliant."  Maggie's brows rose in surprise and Christian beamed with pride.

"You did you're homework, nice I like that.  And you survived sitting in the suicide seats. Most first timers aren't too fond of the possibilities of roller girls ending up in their laps"

"Yeah she was going crazy out there cheering for you too. I definitely think we have a convert over here."  Juanpa added.

"Yeah it looked like you were into it, that's great I'm glad you came. Now,"  Maggie, handed everyone a shot glass. "Drink up kiddies."

Juanpa and Christian shook their heads.

"I have to get up early tomorrow and drive Wisconsin to get some stuff for the shop."  Juanpa said, moving his shot in front of Maggie.

"And I have to drive in a bit, I'll pass."  Christian added.  Maggie shrugged her shoulders and put Christian's shot glass in front of Audre.  "Oh well guess us broads'll have to drink up for the both of yous."  Audre grimaced.

"I don't think so, I haven't had Tequila since college and that experience ended badly."

"Oh come on, it won't kill you I promise.  This is Cazadores, the smoothest Tequila.  Don't leave me hanging Audre." 

Audre looked from Christian, to Juanpa to Maggie.

"What the hell."  She shrugged, picking up one of the shots.

"Alright."  Maggie said handing her a lemon. "We're drinking to, good health, good times, good sex!"   

"Great sex." Juanpa interjected holding up his beer glass.

"Hell I'll drink to that."  Christian also picking up his glass, they all clinked glasses before Maggie slammed her shot, and Audre followed suit.  Audre hacked, once the alcohol burned a trail down her throat it wasn't as severe as drinking Jose Cuervo but it for damn sure wasn't that pleasant.  After the burning went away, she instantly started feeling a bit warm all over.  Christian shook his head laughing at the look on Audre's face.

"Mags could you please Audre sloppy drunk tonight."

"I'm a big girl, I can handle it."  Audre said indignantly, sucking on her tongue that was now numb.

"Atta girl!"  Maggie said laughing. "Alright round two." They took the next shot together.  

It seemed to have broken the ice and for the next hour or so all four of them talked about everything from music to art.  Audre loved watching Maggie and Juanpa interact; they seemed to have gone through a lot together.  It was funny how their personalities seemed so different and yet seemed to meld together perfectly.  Maggie was loud, energetic, and quirky, launching into one crazy random story after the next.  Juanpa on the other hand was much more mellow, and quiet but he was also quick witted, accenting each of Maggie's crazy stories with a sarcastic quip. 

Audre told her own crazy stories. She and Maggie bonded over Flight of the Conchords and Doctor Who.  They made her feel like part of their group even though she had just met them.  Christian chimed in with his own stories and opinions but mostly he watched Audre, smiling, almost like he was seeing her for the first time or at least a part of her that he didn't know existed.  The time flew by and before they knew it, it was well after midnight and Christian had to practically pull Audre from the bar.  He guided her to the car, her still a little wobbly on her feet. 

Christian had stopped drinking hours ago. So he held her steady, guiding her into the passenger seat before settling in on the driver's side.  He smiled at her sweetly before starting the car.

"You had fun tonight?"  He asked her.

 She nodded. "Yeah."

"Good. Me too."

"I really like your friends." Audre slurred, her tongue still numb, her words came out thick and heavy.  She rolled down the window to get some fresh air.

"Well I think they liked you too, especially Juanpa I don't think I've seen him ever talk so much to someone he just met." 

"Well I like Juanpa too, he's very mischievous."  

Christian smiled. 

Audre stared at his profile for a long while.  "You're pretty hot." 

"Thanks, I think you're hot too."

"Thank you. Are you a freak?"

Christian burst out laughing and turned to look at her."What?"

"Are you a freak?  Jenelle said white boys are freaky."

"Is that so?  All of us?"

"Yeah, I told her that was just a stupid stereotype but she said some stereotypes are true.  I don't really do a lot a freaky stuff, I mean maybe, I could, I don't know. One time I had sex on a kitchen table which I thought was kind of naughty but Jen said that was vanilla.  I've thought about doing other stuff though." 

Christian bit back a smile. He already knew she was going to regret this conversation in the morning.  Still he couldn't help but indulge a little.

"Like what?"

"Jen says I should try being tied up."

"And what would you like to try?" Christian asked, his eyes slipped over to her, and roved down over the curves of her body before quickly turning back to focus on the road.

"Maybe joining the mile high club, role playing, doing it on my desk at work. . .actually the other night I dreamed about me screwing in your chair at the tattoo parlor."  She giggled. 

Yep, she was definitely going to regret that in morning, but at the moment she didn't feel one bit shy about saying it.

"My chair?  Damn, well we definitely gotta make that happen."  He mumbled, more to himself than her.

"Do you spank?" 

"Ummm. . .not usually, but I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about spanking your ass though." 

Audre smiled with almost girlish glee. "You've thought about spanking my ass?"

"Amongst other things."

"Really you've thought about you and me having sex?"  She attempted to sit up in her chair.

"You sound surprised."

"I am, I mean I just have a hard time imagining myself being that girl."

"What girl?"

"The one that guys fantasize about.  Don't get me wrong, I know I'm attractive, and smart, funny, and loveable."

"Don't forget modest."

"That too.  But I've just never thought of myself as being. . .you know. . .particularly sexy." 

Christian looked at her, his eyes dark and intense even within the shadows of the night. "You have no idea how fucking sexy you are."  He said.

"Thank you, you make me feel that way." She said honestly. They both fell silent. About five minutes later, she fell asleep.   

**

The sound of Audre's alarm going off at 6:30 in the morning aroused her from her sleep.  The pounding in her head reminded her of the previous events.  She had flashes of her conversation with Christian and groaned.  He must think I'm the biggest loser.  She thought to herself.  She realized she was still in her clothes but that her shoes had been removed, she didn't remember anything beyond being in Christian's car.  She looked over at her nightstand and saw a large glass of water, two aspirin, her house keys and a note.

You're cute when you sleep- though you did leave a drool stain on my leather seat.  Take it easy today, be sure to drink lot's of water. 

Audre laughed out loud, it wasn't the most romantic of love notes but somehow it was a perfect way to start her day.






Chapter End Notes:
Thanks to Minx for the beta services!