Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Short update


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Audre's eyes widened as she took in Christian, damn if he didn't look good. He was wearing a light blue v neck sweater that brought out his sparkling eyes. It was layered over a white oxford shirt and darker blue tie, he had on dark blue jeans. The only hint of the rugged tattoo artist she saw were the worn blue chuck taylors and elaborate right arm tattoo peeking out from under his pushed up sweater. She was shocked at how well he had cleaned up, but she quickly recovered.

"Mr. Mueller, wouldn't have picked you for an ass man. Then again you are a jackass." She smirked at him, normally she wouldn't have dreamt of being so rude in public, but the top shelf alcohol had made her a little bolder, plus she didn't feel that she had stated anything that wasn't fact. He threw his head back laughing as he took a step closer and leaned forward.

"It was supposed to be a secret you know."

"What? That you're an ass man or that you're a jackass?"

"Both." He nodded towards the picture that Audre had been looking at. "So I see you were admiring my work." She turned back around to face the picture and he stood next to her. She turned her head to him.

"Yeah." She said begrudgingly. "It's good. . .great actually. Frankly I wouldn't have thought it'd be something you did." He looked at her feigning shock.

"So basically, you assumed that because I'm a tattoo artist that I'm some ball busting Neanderthal that spends my off time hanging out in scummy bars and getting into fights?" Audre bit her lip, she was really started to hate the way he could seem to break her down to the most basic level in two steps. He shook his head at her, still smiling playfully. "Audre, I'm disappointed in you, after you seemed so offended about me making presumptions about who you are it would seem a bit hypocritical for you to go making assumptions about me, wouldn't you think?" She let out a sigh.

"I apologize, I shouldn‘t have confused being a rude jackass with being a ball busting Neanderthal." She turned back to the picture, her expression softened. "But, I must admit this is a truly extraordinary piece, I'm very impressed Mr. Mueller." She reached in her purse and pulled out a crisp business card handing it to him. "I'm with a law firm that specializes in representing artists. We can provide a great amount of guidance and legal counsel to a young on the rise artist such as yourself."

"And take 30% of my earnings?"

"10% actually. But it's worth it, compared to what you could lose if some jerk decides to rip off your work or a gallery offers you a shitty contract that locks you in for years." He looked over her card, then handed it back to her.

"Nah, think I'll pass thanks." He started to walk away. She looked at him stunned for a moment before following behind him.

"Mr. Mueller I wouldn't just turn this opportunity down. With a lawyer you've got the protection of your interests, I'm obligated under the law to be candid and honest with you, there are strict rules that govern what I can and can't do. I can give you the advice and counsel that you need and when you get an opportunity to sell your art, I can negotiate terms favorable to you. Further, my firm have many contacts in the industry that can get you showcased in some of the best galleries in the city."

"And why would I want to give my business to someone's who seems to have such a low opinion of tattoo artists such as myself. Not to even mention the fact that you haven't been very nice to me." He continued you walking away but she pushed ahead and blocked off his path.

"Hey you started it! You were the one that judged me first remember?" It seemed like the more of a reaction Audre had to him, the wider his smile got, like he got off on taking the piss out of her. He put his hands in his pockets.

"You're right." She blinked.

"I am?"

"Yeah I rushed to judgment about you which may or may not be accurate. So I tell what I'll consider your offer on two conditions." She crossed her arms and waited.

"Oh yeah and what two conditions would those be?"

"First, have dinner with me, tomorrow night." She looked at him as though he had grown another head.

"Are you asking me on a date?"

"I'm asking you to dinner. I'm giving you a chance to proposition me." She rolled her eyes at the innuendo.

"I don't think so."

"Why, is that too far outside of your self contained box? Having dinner with a guy that doesn‘t own a blackberry or hand out business cards, that sound too wild and crazy for you?" Audre put her hand on her hip.

"You think you've got me so pegged don't you? Well I've got news for you, I'll have you know I can get pretty wild and crazy." He gave her a challenging look. "Fine." She pulled out her blackberry, avoiding his smug look as she pulled up her calendar. "I can do 7?" She handed him back the business card which he took as he laughed.

"7 sounds just perfect."

"And the second thing?"

"The second thing is I want you to call me Christian not Mr. Mueller." She narrowed her eyes at him, his eyes widened. "I'm waiting." He stepped closer to her, his 6'4 frame almost dwarfing her 5'9 one. As she looked into his eyes, for a moment her heart skipped a beat.

"Okay. . .Christian." She said, her voice coming out breathier than normal. He scanned her face.

"I knew it."

"Knew what?"

"I knew I'd love the sound of my name coming off your tongue." They locked eyes, Audre could feel her cheeks getting flushed as she noticed how beautiful his mouth was.

"SO, I'm doing shots at the bar feeling just peachy when a guy in a penis costume just got up on the podium and started reciting Howl, and right now I‘m way too drunk and horny to deal with talking penises. I'm ready to go." The sound of Jenelle's voice cut through the mounting tension and Audre guiltily jumped back, breaking out of her spell. She looked over at Christian embarrassed while Christian looked over at the petite powerhouse frowning at her. Audre, straightened her skirt, suddenly self conscious and turned to Jenelle.

"Yeah um, I'm ready." She said clearing her throat. "Jenelle, this is Christian one of the artists showing his work." Jenelle looked at him curiously, just realizing for the first time she had interrupted something.

"Are you responsible for the can of baked beans?" He laughed.

"No, not a huge a fan of found art." She reached out her hand, then quickly retracted it.

"The fetus picture?" He laughed and motioned to his piece on the wall. She looked over his shoulder at the picture and nodded, satisfactorily.

"Nice. It's a pleasure to meet you Christian, I‘m Jenelle."

"Nice to meet you Jenelle. I‘m glad my art met your approval." He responded taking her hand.

"Christian was actually the artist that did my tattoo." Audre said. Jenelle's eyes widened.

"Oh THIS is the guy that had you all hot and bothered the other night. You didn‘t mention he was such a cutie, but then again I should‘ve guessed as much." Jenelle's head was down as she dug in her purse, looking for a piece of gum. Christian's eyebrows raised as he turned an amused look to Audre, she knew that were it not for her brown skin tone she would be a bright shade of red.

"I like her, she seems smart."

"Well obviously smart is a relative term." She said mumbling under her breath, she turned to Jenelle. "And I was not hot or bothered Jenelle. . .and that‘s the last time I take you anywhere with an open bar." Jenelle just shrugged as she turned to Christian, stuffing a piece of spearmint gum in her mouth.

"You know, Audre couldn't stop talking about you after she got her tattoo, apparently you managed to work one hell of a nerve. But I have to say that I for one couldn't even imagine her getting a tattoo, usually the closest she comes to raging against the machine now a days is painting her nails black." Audre narrowed her eyes at Jenelle, annoyed that she had proven Christian's assessments of her right. She turned back to Christian, who had still been watching her, determined to end the conversation before any more unnecessary information about her came tumbling out.

"So anyway we're gonna go." She said grabbing Jenelle by her arm and pulling her roughly towards the door. Jenelle was grinning as she waved at him.

"Bye hottie artist guy." He waved back at her laughing.

"Bye Jenelle." He turned to Audre, staring at her meaningfully. "See you tomorrow Audre." Audre ran her fingers through her hair nervously.

"Yeah um tomorrow."

"What's tomorrow?" Jenelle asked as Audre ignored her ushering them out past the talking penis, still reciting poetry:

"MOLOCH! MOLOCH! ROBOT APARTMENTS! INVISIBLE SUBURBS! SKELETON TREASURES! BLIND CAPITALS. . ."

________________________________________________________________________

Audre opened the door to her office and saw Jenelle standing there wearily, a huge pair of sunglasses covering her face.

"Are you talking to me yet?" Jenelle whispered, still nursing a painful hangover from the previous night. Audre rolled her eyes in response as she stood still blocking entry. "What if I brought a slice of heath toffee caramel cheesecake?" She said holding out a white bag. Audre eyed the bag.

"Eli's?"

"Is there any other kind of cheesecake?"

"Yeah, well if you were a real friend, you would've bought the whole cake." Audre grumbled snatching the bag out of her hand and opening the door. Jenelle smiled coming in. Audre slammed the door loudly, causing Jenelle to grab her head, in pain.

"Son of bitch." She said, turning to Audre angrily. "So are we even?"

"Nope." Audre opened the door and slammed it again as Jenelle winced. She didn't think about everyone outside of her office, they were used to doors being slammed. She smiled sweetly at Jenelle. "Now we're even." Jenelle sat gingerly in the chair, removing her dark glasses.

"You know I can't believe you are this embarrassed about what I said in front of the hottie tattoo guy. It's not like he cared, he was too busy having eye sex with you to really notice anything that came out of my mouth."

"He was not having eye sex with me." Audre said, sitting at her desk, getting heated again just thinking about his intense blue eyes. Jenelle smiled knowingly.

"Don't play coy you know damn well he was all up in your kool-aid. Even I wasn‘t too drunk to see that." She said in a sing song manner as she crossed her legs. Audre glared at her.

"Okay first of all, the 90s called, they want their catch phrase back. And second of all, shut the hell up." Audre replied as she stuffed a forkful of cheesecake in her mouth, taking a moment to savor the flavors, it should've been a sin to make something that damn good.

"Oh come on Audre, stop acting like you're didn‘t love it. He‘s definitely got some flavor about him, you know for a white boy. So spill, what are you wearing? How are you doing your hair? Ooh maybe you should wear your leopard print stilettos, give him that whole Sandra Dee gone wild vibe."

"Did I mention I'm only just barely talking to you?"

"No. But if you're barely talking to me you can give me back my damn cheesecake." She said reaching for the box, which Audre grabbed from off the desk, holding away from her. "Can I at least have a bite?"

"Fine." Audre muttered. Jenelle reached in the bag and got out the extra fork, digging into the cheesecake. She closed her eyes in pleasure as she chewed the decadent piece of cheesecake. She dug in for another piece and they both chewed in silence for a moment, polishing off the cheesecake together before Jenelle finally looked at her.

"Sooooo. . ." Jenelle said looking at her expectantly.

"What?"

"Don't make me cut you heiffer."

"It's just a business dinner. You saw his art, it's amazing. I'd love to bring him on as a client." Jenelle rubbed her temples dramatically.

"Just a client? What the hell is wrong with you Audre?"

"Look, he's not my type. You know my type. You know he's not my type. So get off my back!"

"Audre, sweetie, you know I love you right?"

"I guess."

"Then you know I'm saying this out of love. Your type don't seem be working. Maybe it's time to try something else." Audre looked at her indignantly.

"I don't want to try something else. I don't get why everybody's acting like it's a crime to know what I want in life and to have ideals for myself. I'm sorry if I'm not interested in the hottie tattoo guy!"

"A HA!"

"A HA, what?"

"So you admit the tattoo guy is a hottie."

"Yes he's a hottie, if you're into that look. Which I'm not. Usually."

"But you acknowledge that he's hot, plus he certainly seemed to pull your number."

"He did not pull my number. . .maybe some of the stuff he was saying is kind of sort of true, but most of it was just bullshit. I mean he acts like I‘m some predictable, stick in the mud, I have an exciting life you know."

"What happened on the Unit last Saturday night?"

"Umm, it was a rerun. See Grey had to infiltrate this street gang-"

"A HA!"

"For fuck‘s sake Jenelle! This isn't Clue, so stop yelling out A HA like you just figured out that Colonel Mustard killed Mr. Boddy in the library with the wrench. I know my life can be. . .whatever. . .predictable. What's wrong with predictable?"

"Nothing. . .if you're a dog or 70. But you're way too human and way too young to be spending Saturdays of the prime time of your life watching the Unit. Audre, you don‘t have to marry the guy. But come on loosen up, have some fun. He‘s cute, he‘s a great artist, he seemed nice, don‘t just dismiss him because he doesn‘t fit into your upwardly mobile fantasy."

"Whatever, none of this matters. It's just a business dinner, nothing more. And he‘s not that nice." There was a knock on the door and Audre's secretary Dana stuck her head inside.

"You have a delivery Ms. Highsmith." Dana said as she stepped in. In her hand was a beautiful white music box, with a delicate black lily hand painted on the top. She reached for it but Jenelle was quicker, grabbing the box out of Dana's hand. As Dana left, laughing at the two of them Jenelle pulled off the small card. Audre just shook her head, there was no use fighting it since Jenelle would‘ve wrestled the card from her eventually anyways. Jenelle opened the box, and beautiful music emitted from it, Audre frowned in concentration.

"Is that a. . .Beatles song?" Jenelle just shrugged her shoulders as she opened the card, reading the words out loud.

"Enjoy life outside the box, can't wait to see you tonight." Jenelle grinned at Audre. "So does you date know that it's not really a date?" She handed the box to Audre, who lightly traced over the painted black lily with one finger, smiling to herself. She looked up and saw Jenelle wiggling her eyebrows suggestively at her. Audre rolled her eyes in return.

"Get out." Jenelle stood up, putting back on her sunglasses.

"Fine, but if you don't want him, can you pass him along to me because I. . ." Jenelle's voice trailed off as she saw the glare that Audre shot her. "Okay well, so much for that whole business dinner thing." She walked to the door, and opened it up. "Just remember, nice girls don't give it up on the first date. . .but you might want to take a condom just in case. . ." Audre couldn't help but laugh at her friend as she closed the door behind her.