Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This chapter is a bit shorter than usual, and it took me forever to actually sit down and write it. Gotta love college, its great at getting in the way of my distractions :).


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Finally, Cassie decided to go home. Walking through the door, she stripped. Throwing her clothes and not caring where they landed, she reached her bathroom and began to run water in the tub. When it was full, Cassie slipped into the cold water. She closed her eyes, and hoped the water would numb her pain.

It was her own fault, Cassie decided. She was a pusher. The first time Christian broke up with her. But Cassie could not help feeling like it was her reaction to his life threatening job. This time, she had pushed him over the edge. She blamed herself. Cassie ended the relationship thinking it was the best thing for her.

Logically, ending the relationship was best for her safety. Cassie had been close to the source of all of the issues between her and Christian twice before…

 ___________________________________________________________

Cassie was early. Actually, she was on time. Christian pushed their date back a couple of hours; he said he had some business to attend to. The two of them were meeting at a hotel restaurant.

Two months after Christian ended it, they were back together again. Cassie could not stay away, and Christian did not have the strength to keep her at a distance. She knew he was up to no good, but that did not matter. He knew one day he may end up hurting her, but Cassie was his reason for breathing.

 Everything led to the place where Cassie was at the moment, three years after their first break-up looking for him in a crowded restaurant. She spotted him with ease. Christian was nursing a glass of something. He was facing her, but his head was bent in deep conversation with the man sitting next to him.

Cassie made her way to the bar. She stepped up behind him and lightly rested her hand on his shoulder, “hey Christian.”

Christian looked up at her and the color drained from his face. Cassie tried to smile, but she came off looking more confused than happy.

The man, next to whom Christian was sitting, waved over the bartender. He refilled their glasses with what appeared to be a blue labeled Johnnie Walker scotch. The man took a sip as he looked Cassie up and down. She could feel him undressing her with his eyes. Christian leered at the man. It took all of his strength not to physically harm the man. He knew exactly what the old pervert was thinking.

“Christian, are you not going to introduce us?” he asked taking another swig of his drink.

“Milo this is Cassie. Cassie Milo,” Christian said.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you Miss. Cassie. Didn’t know Christian here was dating anyone. He always makes himself to be some kind of recluse, living only for the job,” Milo laughed.

Cassie watched as Christian’s knuckles turned white as he gripped the glass tighter. She squeezed his shoulder letting him know that she was fine, before she responded.

“It’s nice to meet you too Milo. I didn’t know Christian was meeting someone here before dinner.”

“Oh, so you two are having dinner here?”

Christian nodded his head.

“Splendid. I don’t have any plans. Do you two mind if I join you?” Milo asked.

Cassie opened her mouth to speak, and let Milo know she was fine with the idea. But Christian cut her off instead. “I wanted this to be an intimate dinner. But if your wife doesn’t need you at home, I don’t see why not.”

Cassie was astonished, that she was not expecting. Usually she was the one always asking others to join them for dinner. Any other time, Cassie expected Christian to tell the man to fuck off. However, she said nothing. The three of them made their way to an open table; a feat Cassie feared would have them thrown out of the restaurant. But no one seemed to care; at least if they did, they did not show it.

Throughout the dinner, no one spoke about the tension between Christian and Milo. They kept up, what Cassie considered, a pleasant conversation throughout dinner. For Christian, the evening sill passed slowly. He was happy when dinner was over and they were ready to leave.

At the end of the night, Cassie and Christian went back to his apartment.

“How do you know Milo?” Cassie asked

Christian looked up, his eyes glassy from the drinks he had with dinner. “He’s my boss.”

“He seems nice and easy to work with, if you’re a man. I was not too comfortable with the way he leered at me, but other than that…”

“Funny,” Christian said as he fell into a sitting position on his sofa.

“What’s funny?” Cassie sat down and leaned her head against his shoulder.

“’Nice is not a word many people use to describe Milo. Terrifying is more fitting.”

“What do you mean?’

“Nothing, Cassie. It’s nothing,” he did not want to worry Cassie too much about Milo.

“Are you afraid of Milo?” Cassie questioned.

“The only thing I’m afraid of is the fact that he now knows about you,” Christian stated.

“So why don’t you quit?”

Christian stared at her, not comprehending her suggestion. Sometimes Cassie was so naïve. “It’s not that simple.”

“What, he’s going to have you killed?” Cassie laughed.

Christian sat silently.

“Babe, I was joking.” Cassie said

“Yeah well, it is a possibility.”

“So he’s the type of man who will have you killed?” Cassie’s heart began to race as she tried to control her breathing.

“Or worse,” stated Christian. He looked up at Cassie whose breathing seemed to stop. “Cassie, breathe.”

“That’s hard to do when you find out the boss of the man you love could have him killed.”

“It won’t happen Cass.”

Cassie whipped her head around. “How do you know?” she yelled. “How do you know he won’t decide to one day have someone off you?”

“Off me? Seriously Cassie no one talks like that any more.”

“I’m not joking Christian.”

“I’m valuable to him.”

“What?” Cassie asked.

“He won’t have me killed because I’m worth too much to him. I’m the best at what I do.”

“But what if he does? What if he decides, on a whim to just… ? And when he’s through what then? What will be left?”

“Cassie it won’t come to that.”

“How do you know?’

 “I just know,” Christian reached for Cassie and pulled her down onto his lap and into his arms.

Cassie felt safe even though she knew she should not. She never wanted to leave the comfort of Christian’s arms. 

I can't believe how you looked at me  

With your Johnnie Walker eyes

He's gonna get you and after he's through

There's gone be no love left to rye