Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
So this took a really long time to write. I'm done for the summer now so hopefully I'll finish this. Hit a writer's block, I have an idea of how everything ends but it's just not all together. If you're still reading thanks.


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

Cassie got out of the bathtub. She sat in the cold water long enough for her fingers and toes to become wrinkled. After putting on clothes, she made her way to the living room where she opened the door of an end table. She pulled out a photo album and began to flip through the pages.

Cassie was not like most people. She owned a digital camera, but instead of viewing her pictures on a computer, Cassie preferred to print them out and place them in a photo album. Christian used to make fun of her for it. He told her she needed to just store their memories on a computer like everyone else in the world. But Cassie liked to have a tangible representation of events that occurred in her life. It made everything feel more real, which was exactly what she needed at that moment—reassurance that her life with Christian had been real.

As she looked at the pictures of her and Christian together, Cassie could not help but to dryly laugh. Her relationship with Christian was complicated. Everything about the two of them together was a contradiction; they were complete opposites. Christian was loud and maintained a presence that demanded attention. Cassie, on the other hand, was quiet and in most situations shy. But he was able to bring out the Cassie most people never saw.  When they were together, Christian could get her to say things she normally would not say and do things she would not normally do. Only Christian could get her so riled up, that Cassie would flail her arms and scream until her throat was raw.

Their arguments were always centered on the same thing, Christian’s job. The more Cassie discovered, the more she began to understand how entangled Christian was in his job. It was not just a job; it was a career, a complicated career from which he could not be easily removed.

There were days when Cassie wanted out; but, for the most part, she was in love. Nothing Christian did could change that fact. She remembered when she realized she loved Christian that she was in love with Christian. 

_____________________________________________________________________

About a month after Cassie met Milo, she and Christian were walking around Central Park together enjoying each other’s company. Since their dinner, Christian became slightly more protective of Cassie, and his awareness when they were out together was heightened. But this day was different. Christian was not scoping out their surroundings; his attention was focused solely on Cassie. Christian had his arm wrapped around her waist, and she leaned into him as they strolled in tandem around the park. He stole glances at Cassie from the side of his eye. If he didn't need to look forward to walk, he would have stared only at her. She wore a smile that reached her eyes as they walked in a comfortable silence.

“What are you thinking?” Cassie asked.

“I am thinking that you look happy.”

“I am happy, and excited,” she said. “I’m collaborating with this new artist. She’s got a great voice and she’s written a few songs already.”

Christian could tell she was excited and he was happy to see her excited. “Really?”

“Yes and she asked for me, said she really liked some of the stuff I’ve done for Jade.”

“That’s great Cass. We should celebrate. How about we go out tonight? I can get us in at Carmen’s.”

"You can get us into Carmen's?! That place has a wait list that goes into next year. It's one of the hottest new restaurants and you can get us in?"

"Well..."

"Well, what Christian?"

"To be completly honest I'm not 'getting us in' I set up reservations a while ago. Who knew we'd actually have something to celebrate when we went," Christian explained.

Cassie rolled her eyes and smiled. He liked doing things like this, and she knew he liked doing it. But it still surprised her every time. It was the little things he did for her, like making a reservation at a restaurant months in advance with no real reason other than to make her happy. "You surprise me sometimes, and I love it when you do."

Christian stopped and turned Cassie to face him, "That's good. All I want is for you to be happy."

Cassie rested her forehead on his chest and smiled again before she looked up, "You make me happy Christian, most of the time. I just..." Cassie stopped and shook her head. "Never mind."

"You just what Cass?"

"Nothing we are having a nice moment and I don't want to... Let's just go. I'm hungry and I need to change before we get to the restaurant."

Christian dropped her off at her apartment informing her he'd be back in a few hours to pick her up for dinner. Two and a half hours passed and Cassie was almost ready she was putting on her heels when her phone rang. She jumped up to answer it knowing it was Christian calling to say he was on his way.

"Hello," Cassie said into the phone.

"Hey, Cass listen something came up. We aren't going to be able to go to Carmen's tonight," Christian sighed.

"What do you mean we aren't going? What came up?"

"I can't tell you that Cassie."

"What the hell Christian? You can't cancel a dinner date like eating at Carmen's and then not give me a reason."

"It's complicated Cassie."

"What's complicated about it?!" Cassie yelled. She was ready to throw her phone against the wall.

"Cassie I've got to go. I'll talk to you later."

"Wait Christian we need..." 

Click. The line went dead. Cassie screamed and finally threw the offensive phone across the room where it hit the wall and broke. 

She sat alone in her misery for about an hour before she decided to call Jade, who came right over with ingredients to feel better daiquiris.

"Here sweetie," Jade said as she came out of the kitchen with a strawberry mango daiquiri in hand.

"Thanks for coming over. You're the best."

"That's what I'm for, well that and to make you a ton of money. But that's neither here nor there." Jade plopped down on the couch and began sipping her own drink. "So he canceled on Carmen's. That's nothing new Cassie. He's done stuff like this before."

"I know..."

"I don't understand why you don't just drop his ass. The sex can't be that good?"

"It is, but that's not why I stay, why I stick with it."

"Then please inform me, Cassie. What reason is there to stay with a man who treats you like this."
"Jade he can be very sweet."

"Yeah and right after his sweet stint he tramples on your heart.You let him do this to you, my god Cassie you are such a loser. So he can be sweet, and charming at times and he is sexy as hell, but nothing he does, nothing he is can be reason enough to stay. To have your heartbroken because he's disappointed you again."

"I'm in love with him, Jade."

Jade sat with her mouth open for a few minutes before she responded, "Oh, okay."

The two friends sat quietly for a moment. Jade raised her half empty glass.

"What are you doing Jade?"

"I'm making a toast. Lift your glass."

Cassie looked at Jade as if she had lost her mind.

"Just raise your damn glass Cassie."

Cassie rolled her eyes but lifted her glass to Jade's.

"Here's to you Cassie, and every person like you. Lame ass people in love with jerks who break their hearts and who end up at some point crying on their couches drinking liquor all messed up. May the drinks and friends like me, help make everything better. We can't keep you from being in these relationships, but we can be there for you when it all goes wrong."

"Thanks, I guess." Cassie asked confused but with a small smile on her face. As terrible as Jade's toast was, it made Cassie feel better, knowing Jade would be there for her no matter what happened in the end with Christian. She was in love with the man, Cassie knew that. But she also knew that at some point her relationship with Christian would come to a crossroad and decisions would have to be made. 

 

And I know that it's complicated

But I'm a loser in love so baby

Raise a glass to mend

All the broken hearts

Of all my wrecked up friends