Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Happy Turkey Day!!!




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Present Day

Alise walked into the ICU just as she had every day for the past three months, on shaky footing.

She sat down and watched her son.

To say that she and Dax had a strained relationship was an understatement.

It was if he knew that when she found out that she was pregnant with him, she wasn't thrilled. 

Though she was immediately smitten by the southern charmer who descended on LA like a tornado, she was equally excited about all of the opportunities that had opened up to her after landing the coveted position as the spokes model for Cassini Jeans. Her modeling career was finally taking flight when she met Barron Daxton.

Becoming a wife or having a child was not on her radar at that time, she thought that those things would definitely hold her back.

Louisa, her mother quickly pointed out that her beauty and career would eventually fade; but being married to Barron Daxton would secure her future.  Alise knew that her mother was speaking about her own life. Though she loved her father Stuart, they were both stuck in dead end jobs that only served to provide necessities such as food on the table and clothes on their backs. But it never provided for the niceties such as, vacations, new cars or a bigger home and Alise could have all those things with Barron.

Alise had to admit that becoming Barron's wife did have its allure; he was handsome, rich, well connected and he loved her; they certainly would make a very striking couple.

But deep down she feared that something was missing in their relationship. It all happened rather suddenly and she wasn't sure if it was love or a serious case of lust. Their courtship was short and their marriage was a hasty affair unwelcomed by his family; it was especially coolly received by Barron's father, Archer Daxton.

Over the years, Alise even went as far as taking etiquette lesson, joined charities that she thought would soften her profile; in addition to hiring the most coveted chefs, curators and historians to help her improve her cultural awareness and win the Daxton family over. Alise loved Barron and she wanted their marriage to work. But for all her hard work, she could not win Archer over and Barron rarely applauded her efforts.

****************

Flashback years prior

"Ok, so who are we trying to impress again?" Alise asked Barron as they entered the grand ball room at the Ritz Carlton.

"Senator Wilder and Mayor Colton." He whispered, rubbing her hand; she was anxious and it helped to calm her down.

She had been nervous all day over the event. This was their first official outing as newlyweds and she wanted to make a good impression. Alise was aware that perception was everything in these social circles; and she had prepared as best she could in hopes of winning his friends and peers over.

 "Son, over here." Archer called as the pair made their way through the crowded ball room.

"What took you so long? I wanted to introduce you to ambassador Hayward before he had to leave." Archer asked his son.

"We are here now, dad; so it doesn't matter." Barron responded, irritated already at his father.

"Good evening to you to Archer." Alise offered, noting that her new father in law hadn't bothered to acknowledge her presence.

"Alise." He responded curtly; giving her the once over.

Archer Daxton was not approving of his new daughter in law and he did little to hide that fact. He didn't hesitate to remind her of it and even went as far as offering her whatever she wanted to leave Barron and the Daxton family.

‘Name your price.' He told her, as casually he pleased. ‘I will pay you whatever you want, to go away.'

Though he thought her quite beautiful, he found her unintelligent, unrefined and no match for his son who was from one of the finer southern families.

Barron told her to ignore him; it was just his way. But for her, that proved to be more of challenge than he realized. 

Alise followed her husband through the crowd noting the stares from the other guests. She knew that Barron was a successful businessman, but she was surprised at the whispers that weren't so hush hush as they moved about.

She stopped suddenly, "Barron could you give me a minute. I just need to freshen up a bit."

Barron looked at his wife curiously. She really was nervous about tonight; he didn't know why, she looked absolutely beautiful.

"OK; you get five minutes to hide out and after that I'm coming looking for you."  He teased.

He kissed her cheek and told her he would wait for her near the bar.

------------------------

 Alise stepped out of the powder room a bit more confident than when she walked in. She had partied with celebrities and other VIPs before; but this was different. This was Barron's business and she didn't want to say or do anything to embarrass him.

As she walked over to the bar at the back of the room for a glass of champagne, she scanned the crowd for her husband. She spotted him talking with a group of people and gathered her wrap and clutch off the bar to make her way over to them.

She started towards them but stopped when she noticed the striking black woman approaching the group. Barron immediately waved her over to him, took her hands kissed them and then planted a kiss on her cheek. His hands then casually moved to the small of her back and stayed there.

Alise knew that her husband was a bit of a flirt but this seemed like more than just harmless flirting to her. Watching the exchange had Alise twisted in knots. Who was this woman, her husband was caressing?

"You're glass is empty." Archer pointed out, handing her a fresh glass of champagne. He appeared out of nowhere but had witness her taking in the scene before her.

"You know, she's the one that he really wanted to marry." Archer supplied, hoping to get a reaction from her.

When he didn't, he continued his dig.

"Look at her poised, sophisticated, intelligent, charming and stunning. She has all of the qualities that you lack." He maliciously pointed out, "The only problem is, she has the wrong skin tone."

Alise didn't respond to him, though she was fuming inside; she refused to let Archer know that he'd gotten to her.

Barron had repeatedly warned her to discount anything that Archer told her. His father liked things done his way and would manipulate any one he could to get what he wanted. He warned her not to fall into his trap by indulging in his antics. Right now listening to Archer and watching her husband she wasn't sure who she should be leery of.

"As much as he cares for her; he would never go against me and marry her. So I guess this is where you fit in. Don't get me wrong I think you're a beautiful woman; but you don't even compare to her, she was a much better choice than you.  Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut; for once ....Mayor Colton."

Archer walked off in pursuit of the mayor. Leaving Alise standing alone with the seeds of doubt he'd just planted.

She continued to observe the pair. Archer was right about the woman being striking. Alise didn't know her but she did have an air of sophistication about her. Everyone around her seemed captivated in her presence and witnessing it made Alise feel just a bit more insecure.

It wasn't until Barron's mother, Estelle touched her arm that she was shaken from her thoughts.

"Are you all right dear? You look pale."

"Yes I'm fine. Thanks, for asking Estelle." Alise looked into her kind face and smiled. "Do you know that woman, talking with Barron?"

"Why that's Rosanna, of course; don't tell me you haven't been introduced to her yet? Come on and meet the woman who practically controls your husband's life. I swear she's the glue that keeps DE together." Estelle rambled on, oblivious to the way Alise tensed up at hearing her words.

Alise watched as Barron continued talking with Rosanna.  She and Estelle made their way over to them, but she was becoming ill at ease with each step; as Archer's words still rang fresh in her ears.

******************************

A few short years after they got married Alise was pregnant. She was not thrilled about it and she was having a hard time getting used to the idea of being a mother.  She loved Barron and they were happy; but the truth was that she really didn't want to give up her career. She still did print campaigns for many cosmetic companies and she thoroughly enjoyed it. She could be married and still take modeling jobs but once she had a baby those jobs would probably dry up.

Being a wife was one thing; but being a mother was quite another. Barron told her that she didn't have to work anymore. He just couldn't understand that she wanted to work. When she told Barron that she wasn't sure if she was ready to be a mother and that she wanted to explore other options, he went ballistic.

He refused to entertain any option other than the safe delivery of their child. She was starting to feel like a hostage in her life as opposed to a participant and she needed a break and reassess what was her life's purpose.

Alise wasn't sure what a baby would mean for them, but when she saw the way that Barron fawned over their newborn son, she knew that having his child was the best decision that she could have made.

-------------------------------------

"You did good, mom." Barron smiled to Alise.

He was still staring at his son, with the beautiful green eyes and light dusting of golden hair, just like his model mother.

Barron had yet to put the baby down since the delivery. Alise had fallen asleep shortly thereafter, but awoke to the picture in front of her.

She smiled at them, happy that he was pleased with his son.

"He's 4 hours old; I think that he needs a name. Don't you?" Alise asked, watching Barron.

"That has already been taking care of, I present to you, Ethan Lucas."

The smile quickly slid from her face; Alise looked at her husband stunned.

"You don't want to name him after you?" she barely got out; shocked that Barron didn't give their son any part of his name; Barron Edric Archer.

"No. My son is going to make his own way in the world; no living in my shadow for him. He will be his own man and for that he'll need his own name."

Alise wasn't sure how to respond; each of the Daxton men carried one of their father's names; but Barron's choice of names was a clear break from that tradition and that made her feel like she had failed to gain all of his affection, yet again.

**************************

 "Mom, can you tell dad that I'll be right down, I forgot something upstairs." A young Dax called over his shoulders as he raced up the back staircase and to his bedroom.

She and Dax had just finished eating breakfast. Saturday mornings always meant waffles or pancakes and their time together; she welcomed it. He was getting older and soon he wouldn't want to spend alone time with mom.

"Hey where did Ethan go? I thought that he was ready to leave." Barron asked, walking over to Alise and giving her a kiss good morning and grabbing a slice of toast.

"Sit and have a waffle. Where are you two off to, so early on a Saturday morning?" Alise asked over her coffee mug.

Barron sat down at her insistence; he didn't want a confrontation with her today. But he knew that no matter how delicate he was; a scream fest was on the horizon.

"I am taking him to visit Rosie, she had her baby yesterday and Dax wants to see her."

Alise studied Barron. She thought that it was impossible for him to hurt her any more than he already had over the years. But this news struck her deep and visibly upset her.

"You are taking our son to meet your bastard daughter?" Alise spat out with so much anger that her tone surprised him.

"She is not my daughter." Barron bit out, trying his best to mask his annoyance at his wife's outburst.

"Only because Harville is smart enough, not to trust you to be alone with his wife."

"That's enough Alise, for the millionth time; there is nothing going on between Rose and me."

"There is no escaping her is there?" Alise continued, "And now you've managed to get my son caught up in your tangled web of lies and deceit."

"Correction, our son and I don't know what you're talking about."

"What is the hold that she has over you?" Alise screamed in frustration.

 "Damn it, lower your voice before someone hears you." Barron warned, referring to their household staff.

This was the last thing he wanted to deal with on a Saturday morning; Alise's insecurities.

"Why should I care who hears me? Everyone knows that you're in love with her. You are worse than a love sick puppy when it comes to that woman. I won't stand for it any more Barron."

Barron stared at his wife in disbelief; he loved her, he really did. But he was tired of having to walk on eggshells with her when it came to Rosie. Whatever they had was in the past and at present, there really was nothing going between them.

"How many times do we have to play this game Alise? Rosie and I are only friends and you know it. She is happily married to Harville and I am only taking Dax to meet the new baby."

"I bet that crushes you too, doesn't it. Your precious Rose doesn't need you anymore." Alise taunted watching her husband for a reaction.

Barron didn't respond to her taunts. He downed that last of his orange juice and waited patiently for Dax to return to the kitchen.

Alise sighed, they had been down this road too many times. No matter what Barron said she always felt that apart of him was not available to her and she knew it was because it was reserved for someone else; Rosie.

"You can go and spend time with her. But I'll be damned if I let you take Ethan with you. I forbid it."

"What is your problem Alise? Dax wants to go see Rosie and the baby and that's it. After all these years, you are still insecure about my friendship with her?" Barron asked, confused that they were even having this conversation.

"My problem is that you've rooted your whore so deeply into our lives; that now my son is asking to spend time with her." Alise shouted, surprising them both.

Barron swiftly stood up knocking his chair to the ground and glared at his wife. His indigo eyes were cold and the fury in them pierced her where she stood. She knew him well enough to know that she had pushed him too far, this time.

 "If you ever call her that again in my presence, you'll regret the day that you ever left California; Mrs. Daxton." Barron gritted out between clenched teeth; trying to curb his anger.

 "I didn't mean it...I know Rosie is not that kind of..." she stammered.

"Dax." Barron bellowed, completely ignoring his wife's attempt at an apology and heading out of the kitchen.

"I only meant that...Barron..."

Alise continued calling after him but froze when she turned around to see Dax standing on the back stair case, staring at her.

She hadn't noticed him standing there before and wasn't sure how much of the exchange he had heard. But the look on his face told Alise that'd heard enough.

**********************

Present Day

Ever since that day on the staircase her relationship with Dax changed.

She wasn't sure if it was a direct result of what he heard that day or the fact that after her exchange with Barron, she focused all of her energy on winning her husband's whole heart.

Which meant, she essentially abandon Ethan's needs in order to chase after Barron's affections.  

It worked, and they were very happy. Their union was even again blessed with another baby, Claire Estelle Louisa and Alise couldn't be happier.  But that happiness came with a price; she'd sacrifice time with her family to remain glued to her husband's side.

Ethan became very withdrawn from both her and Barron as he got older. It was almost as if he only tolerated them because they were responsible for his wellbeing.  As he got older he grew fiercely independent and rarely shared anything with them unless they forced his hand.

Alise watched her son's stilled body. Long gone was the little boy who relied on her for everything, he had been replaced with this man that laid in front of her and he was a virtual stranger to her.

She didn't really know his true likes or dislikes; what made him laugh, what was his major was in college or what was the name of the fraternity that he was president of; did he enjoy running the family business or what were his hobbies. He didn't make it a habit to share anything with her unless it was necessary and she never pushed him for information.

It was her own fault that their relationship had come to this point and as his mother it stung to be regarded as an intruder into her own son's life.

She held his hands in her hers and silently vowed to change that, the minute he woke up.

************************

 "Oh Alise, I'm sorry to interrupt; Dr. Shaw told me that no one was visiting right now." Chloe apologized for intruding and stepped back into the hallway.

"Come in," Alise insisted. "I snuck in for a minute; the place is much quieter in the evenings. I think Zhay is receiving her daily updates from both Dr. Shaws."

Chloe entered the hospital room and stood next to Dax's bed.

"I'm on my way to Corsica for a photo shoot tomorrow and I wanted to see Dax before I left."

"That sounds exciting."

"Yes it does. And any other time I would gladly welcome the trip; but I hate to leave Zhay here with Dax still in a coma."

Alise nodded her head in understanding and stepped out into the hallway to give Chloe time alone to visit with Dax.

"Hi there, Playboy. This is the other Dr. Daniels. What's new?" She asked, kissing his cheek.

"I'm headed to Corsica tomorrow night for a photo shoot, just for a week; so that means Zhay will be alone in the house; unless you decide to wake up and go home."

There was no response.

Moving to the foot of the bed she began massaging his feet; and was happy to find them warm. She smiled. He had been lying like this for 3 months and it was important that the blood was circulating throughout his body.

"Just a few things before I leave, we are running low on Prosecco, sorry it's been that kind of month...well actually it's been a hard few months; so you need to contact your Italian supplier to restock the cellar. Oh, and don't get mad; but I think I may have busted a gear in your Aston, but don't worry I am taking care of it."

Chloe understood the importance of stimulation both physically and mentally for a comatose patient. It was best to keep them apprise of their surroundings and daily happenings.  She moved to his left side and lightly massaged his arms and hand.

"Your hands are warm; that's great. Have you been trying to move them?" she asked him; hoping for a response but not expecting one.

"Listen, Zhay is exhausted but she won't admit it; she is here with you just about all day. The only time she leaves your side is when someone comes to visit you. I think that she needs a break so if you want to wake up today that would be wonderful."

Chloe continued on fluffing his pillows and giving him updates on the latest celebrity gossip. She knew that Dax would find the tales amusing and she hoped that the sound of her voice was reaching him where he rested.

************************

Next morning

Zhay walked into Dax's room and kissed his lips, just as she had every day for past few months. She finally felt brave enough to leave his side overnight for some rest. But she still would sit with him for 12 plus hours at a time. She planned to arrive midmorning allowing Alise, Barron and Rosie their private time with him; because when she was there, she wanted him all to herself.

"Good morning gorgeous!" Zhay beamed, "Today is a good day I can feel it. I made brownies last night, too; see."

 Zhay held out the tray of treats to Dax, "All you have to do is open your eyes and they are all yours;" there was no visible response.

"Come on Dax, I worked really hard on them and Chloe even said that they weren't that bad, this time." She whined and then laughed; he often told her that she was great at a lot of things; but cooking wasn't one of them. 

There was no movement from the patient, but she had promised herself weeks ago to not get discouraged at his slow progress.

"Ok well, I will just put them over here, and it will be your own fault if you let the staff eat them all." 

Zhay plopped down in the chair near the bed and stared at Dax's laying form. She was so happy that he was now breathing on his own and that was a great sign but still she wanted more.

"I miss you so much E, please just let me know that you're ok in there."  She reached for his hands and kissed them.

"You know your long hair is starting to grow on me, no pun intended." She smiled. She knew that he would pitch a fit because he wasn't shaved and his hair was well on his neck, practically dusting his shoulders.

She often teased him about his metrosexual grooming habits and fashion sense.  He was the only man she'd ever met that went on annual excursion to Italy to update his wardrobe.

She became wistful when she remembered their last trip there together. It was the little things that she missed about him and being together. Zhay immediately shook her melancholy thoughts, and reminded herself to stay focused and positive.

"So what do you feel like reading today, dear? I brought, "The Virgins at the Prince's Court" and "Lost at Sea with the Navy Seal. Yes, it's a romantic read day. I know how much you love these. She smiled because she knew that it was the exact opposite. Unless you tell me otherwise, that's what we are going to do today."

Zhay searched for any signs that Dax was cognizant of his surroundings but still she saw none. "Ok, well the navy seal it is." She reached for the book and began reading.

"Oh this is good honey, listen to this." Zhay read another passage from the romance novel and started to laugh. It reminded her of their first unofficial date.

"Does that remind you of something? Remember our first unofficial date?"

 

Flashback

Zhay had been hesitant about going out with Andrew Reid. He was very handsome and smart but he seemed a bit over anxious when she agreed to dinner. They met a few weeks ago at a Habitat for Humanity event and seemed to hit off ok.

But now that she was here with him she wasn't too sure that it was a good idea to date him. They had been on their date for all of thirty minutes and he had made reference to their future at least 4 times. A little presumptuous for a law student, Zhay thought but listened as he continued to ramble on.

She soon found herself half listening and watching the other patrons. Her mind quickly drifted to all the things that she needed to do this week, like laundry, her car needed a tune up and whether Chloe decided to go to New York tonight or wait until the morning.

He must have sensed her disinterest because he excused himself from the table. Zhay sighed in relief; at least she was granted a few minutes of silence. She sipped her margarita, and looked over the menu again. The waitress came over and refreshed their water glasses and left. She sat there and took out her phone, in the middle of texting Chloe she jumped at the sound of his voice.

"Hey darlin' what looks good on the menu?"

"Ethan!" Shocked at seeing him sitting across from her, Zhay took a quick glance around to see if she saw her date, "what are you doing here?"

"Having dinner with you, is the margarita any good?" He reached for her glass and took a sip.

"No, yes it's good...but I meant what are you doing sitting here, I'm on a date." Zhay rambled.

"Oh, that... I told stuffy mc-nerdy thanks for keeping the seat warm, but I got it from here." He smiled.

Zhay sat back and looked at Dax. He was as handsome as she remembered and still as crafty as ever. How did he even know that she was here or who her date was; Chloe?

"Dax I'm on a date; but I'll call you later." She bargained, looking around for her dinner companion. She didn't want to cause a scene and she knew that Dax wouldn't give up easily.

Looking over the menu to meet her eyes, he smiled, "Your date? Oh him...I think he left.

Zhay looked to him, confusion etched on her face; but Dax continued on as if he just told her that it was sunny outside.

"The Pleasure Peak sounds interesting tequila, rum, mango, pineapple juice...I think I'll try that."

"What do you mean he left?"

"I told him that I'd make it work his while if he, um... found something else to do tonight. I'm in the mood for steak what about you?"

"What? You bribed him to ditch me?"

"No I negotiated your release. You were bored to death, darlin'. So I gave him a little incentive to call it a night; he accepted and so here we are on our first unofficial date. Unofficial, because I would never bring you to a dump like this." He remarked still eyeing the menu.

 "Do you want to eat here or go somewhere else nothing on this menu is jumping out at me?"

 Zhay didn't know if she was thankful or ticked off. She simply sat there awestruck that he paid her date to go away and the guy did it.

Dax finally looked up from the menu to see her beautiful cognac eyes staring at him. Since they met at Mason's party his only goal was to get to know her better; a challenge in itself with their demanding schedules. They talked on the phone when they could but his travels to the Middle East, Europe and Asia for the past few weeks made courting her in person difficult.

When he arrived in North Carolina this morning it was for a client meeting; but the only thing on his mind was Zhay. He didn't call to tell her that he was in town, because he didn't want to be disappointed if he couldn't see her. And he had to see her no matter what.

When he called her at home, Chloe answered and casually mentioned that she was out on a date, he knew that he had to put an end to the little cat and mouse game they were playing. God bless Chloe, an easy ally. All it took was the promise that she could use his penthouse in New York and one of his private jets to take to St. Barts, and she sang like a canary.

He needed Zhay to understand that he was very serious about her. His actions tonight may have bordered on the creepy, but he was just that determined to get her to see things his way. He reached for her hands and she readily gave them to him.

"You, Dr. Daniels have been driving me crazy, since that day in the barn. Forgive me if this is too forward for you; but I am not one for wasting time. If I see something I like I go after it, no matter what. I not only like you, but I want to date you; exclusively. I know that we both have demanding jobs but we'll figure it out. I am leaving for Hong Kong for two weeks tomorrow night, but before I leave I want to know that when I come back, my first stop should be here, to spend some time with my lady."

She smiled at him and squeezed his hands, "You always get what you want don't  you, Ethan?"

 "Yes, I do.  And I won't stop until you are mine; all mine, only mine."

Zhay studied him for a minute; he was serious.  She had to give him points for his candor and resourcefulness. She had to admit that she had been very interested in him since Mason's party and enjoyed their chats via phone and email.

"Well I must say, you really know how to make a girl feel wanted. I guess, we're on our first unofficial date."

Dax called the server over to settle the check, "Let's go darlin', let me take you to a real restaurant." He stood up and reached for her coat and she followed him out the door.

Zhay had to admit that he wore his arrogance better than anyone she'd ever met. She couldn't even be mad with him. Who was she fooling? She wanted to date him. He was too cute and it was sweet that he wanted to spend time with her before he had to fly out.  

As they headed out into the brisk autumn evening a thought popped into Zhay's head.

"By the way, just out of curiosity what am I worth? I mean what was the price paid for my freedom?" she smirked referring to the cost of her release.

"Too me, you're priceless." He smiled, opening the passenger side door for her.

"But to a guy paying his way through law school, you're worth all of the money that was in my pocket, which was $1,163." Dax laughed. "And a pair of 14kt gold Lanvin cufflinks."

He stretched the sleeve of his shirt towards her as evidenced that he sacrificed his cufflinks to secure this impromptu date with her.

 "So beautiful, you have to tip the valet at the next stop." He added with a sly wink.

Zhay quickly joined in his laughter and was happy that he did hijack her date.

She watched his confidant stride,  as he made his way the car to the driver's side. She really liked Dax and was already enjoining their first unofficial date.

-------------------------

"Dinner was wonderful, thank you." Zhay thanked, Dax giving him a light peck on the lips, as they stood on the porch.

She was fishing her keys out of her purse when she felt his arms wrap around her waist. They felt perfect there; he started kissing her neck and she was starting to enjoy it a little bit too much. The next think she knew they were engaged in heavy lip locking action and neither seemed intent in stopping it.

"We need to go inside beautiful, it's cold out here." Dax whispered. Though their bodies were tightly enveloped in each other, the chill in the air still managed to prick through the heat emanating from their bodies.

Zhay wasn't sure if that was such a good idea. She thought it best that they said their goodbye's right there; otherwise she would be tempted to engage in other things with him inside.

Dax sensed her hesitancy and took her hands to reassure her that his intentions were genuine and that she didn't have to worry about them moving faster than she wanted.

"Invite me in Dr. Daniels; I just want to give you a proper goodbye kiss without risking catching a cold because I'm freezing my ass off out here."

"One kiss goodnight and that's it?"

"That was the plan, unless of course you want more; because that can also be arranged." Dax replied, smiling at her wolfishly.

"Not on our first date." Zhay countered dashing his hopes of going any further with their kisses.

"Well this technically doesn't count because our date is unofficial; so whatever happens between us tonight is strictly off the record."

---------------------------

Once inside Dax took a few minutes to warm them up but pulling Zhay closer to his body when they got cozy on the sofa. She had offered to make them tea but he told her it wasn't necessary; their body heat was working just fine.

"You are spoiling me, beautiful; I could get used to this." Dax warned as Zhay snuggled closer to him. He was sitting with his feet propped up on the ottoman, while she was enclosed in his left arm with her head on chest.

"So could I." Zhay sighed playing with his fingers.

"I meant what I said earlier; as soon as I am done in Hong Kong; I want to spend some time with you and that includes taking you out on a real date."

She adjusted her position so that she could see his face better.  "Real or not, I enjoyed spending time with you tonight."

"I glad; because I liked spending time with you too." He brushed a light kiss on her lips, mindful of their position on the sofa.

When his warm tongue slipped into her mouth and dueled with hers for dominance, the delicate exchange quickly grew more passionate as their kisses intensified.  

Reluctantly, Dax pulled away causing Zhay to groan in protest. "I should go."

"Do you have to?"

"No; but I think I should."

He wanted to take things slow with Zhay because he was interested in more than just having a good time with her tonight. He wanted many more good nights with her; in the future.

****************************

Present Day

Adam stood in front of the monitor noting Dax's most current stats. His blood pressure and heart rate were hovering at normal levels and his other vitals were becoming stronger by the day.

"Connie, you can sponge him down if you're ready. But I want you to use cold water; it should help stimulate his body by giving it a little shock."

The nurse began her prep work for Dax's bath and Adam left to update his chart at the nurse's station.

----------------------------------

"Wa...wa...wa..."

The stunned nursed stumbled back, not believing what she heard. Her back was to him; but she could have sworn she heard him mumbled something.

She checked him over, but found that he was still lying just as he was when she first entered the room. She watched him for a few seconds then concluded that he was still asleep.

Dax had grown accustomed to hearing the voices around him. The sounds would fade in and out but there was one that was always constant.

He wasn't sure of his surroundings but it felt as if an anchor was weighing him down; and he was in a struggle to free himself with all his might.

"Wa...wa...wa..."

This time there was no mistaking it. Their patient was waking up; his eyes were fluttering and he was trying to move his arms.

"Dr. Shaw...." Nurse Lake yelled, "Dr. Shaw... He's waking up."

-------------------------------------------------

"Relax Dax; I need you to calm down. Please don't try to talk or move." Adam reasoned, "If you can understand me please just blink your eyes for me."

Dax turned towards the voice of the doctor who was speaking and began rapidly blinking his eyes. It was still hard to focus, but he could clearly make out the astonished expressions of the medical staff that now surrounded his bed.

----------------------

"Adam, please I need to see him." Zhay pleaded attempting to rush past Dr. Shaw.

When she saw the flurry of activity at his room when she stepped of the elevator; she panicked. As a doctor she knew that it could only be one of two things. He was awake or he succumbed to his injuries.

"Zhay wait...We still need to run some tests." Adam reasoned; he also needed to tell her about his condition; but it was too late.

"Dax..." she rushed out, unable to curb the emotions that flowed out. He looked over to her at hearing her call his name but didn't say anything.

Dr. Shaw quickly spoke, "Dax I'd like you to meet the woman who has been managing your care as well as the other victims from the tower collapse."

Zhay looked from Dax to Adam and then back to Dr. Shaw.

"This is Dr. Daniels. She should be commended for putting together such fine medical team. Now that you are awake; we can say that we were successful in saving all of the tower victims."

"Dr. Daniels," Dax rasped. "Thank you." His voice was hoarse from months of not talking and he was still very weak.

Zhay couldn't not immediately respond; she only stared at her husband in disbelief.

"Of course; that's what we are here for. How are you feeling?" Tears building on her lids, but she knew that now was not the time for them.

Dax smiled weakly, and replied softly, "Like a building collapsed on me."

"Dr. Daniels can I see you outside for a moment." Adam asked, pointing out into the hallway; so that they could speak privately.

Zhay nodded at Adam and started for the door with him. She turned around to look at Dax but he was already talking with Dr. Shaw.

Adam took a hold of her arm and led her out of the room. She wasn't through the door fully before her body started shaking with sobs.

"Ssshh....he's alive honey; that's the most important thing."

Hearing that only made Zhay cry harder. As a doctor, she knew too well that any type of amnesia was not a good thing. It could take patients months or even years before they fully recovered, if ever. In medical school they studied many cases where patients never regained any memories of their former life and knowing that broke her heart all over again.

"Don't think it; he's going to get his memory back. You have to believe that." Adam soothed rubbing her back.






Chapter End Notes:

Thank you for reading and I appreciate the comments. Forgive errors etc, enjoy!