Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


After hearing of his fight with his dad, Coach Yoast opened up his home to Alan, and Regina was relieved. He told him that he would talk to Fred, but she didn’t know if that was going to do any good. Fred was a well-liked man.

“Hi, Sheryl.” Regina said to the little blonde girl as she stood outside waiting on Alan to come to the door. “Did you like the presents you got for your birthday?” she said making small talk.

“Everything but one. My step-dad got me a doll.” she said with a grimace and Regina wanted to laugh at the tomboy.

“Hey, Regina.” Alan said as he stood behind Sheryl and the little girl went outside as Regina went it holding a basketball “You should see how she destroyed that doll.”

“I would imagine.” Regina said as she sat down at the kitchen table with Alan. “Your bruises make you look like crap.”

“Ha, ha. You’d look like this too if your dad kicked the crap out of you.”

“My dad wouldn’t do it because he doesn’t care about the color of your skin or our relationship.” she said, seriously, as she stared at him.

“Well, your dad is a good man. I used to think my dad was a good man, but…anyway, are we still on for studying together or…?”

“Just like you to want to study together after getting your ass kicked for dating me. Alan…”

“Let me guess…you want to break up.” he said as he stared at the floor and, for the first time, Regina could see that he might consider it. That bothered her a little.

“Do you want to break up?” she asked as she stared at him and he let out a long sigh.

“Regina…no matter how much better it would be for the both of us, I don’t want to break up. I like you a lot and you like just as much.”

“Your dad is going to disown you if we don’t stop, but…I really, really don’t want to. We’re insane…” Regina said with a laugh.

“Then, we’ll just be insane. What my dad did to me won’t change how I feel about you. And it sure as hell not gonna stop us.”

“But, do you think his rage will stop? It won’t. He’ll be just a pissed as he was at the party and when you two were fighting years from now.”

“Well, that’ll be his problem. So, do you want to study? I really need help on the paper coming up. Shakespeare is so hard to understand.”

“Me doth thinks you make it more complicated than it should be…” she teased and Alan rolled his eyes and laughed.

“Yeah…I didn’t understand a word you just said. See? I need help.”

“Alright, get the book.” she said as Alan went into the back room and returned with the play they were reading in class, Henry VIII “Henry VIII is one of Shakespeare’s most difficult plays. A lot of people find it hard to understand. Even thought it’s based on actual history.”

“You should be a teacher.” he said and Regina laughed. “I’m serious. You would make a great English teacher. You already know so much.”

“True…” she said feeling a little arrogant that she did know so much. “Alan? Could I ask you a question?” she said in a cautious voice.

“Sure…What is it?” he said as he stared at the play.

“How long has your dad been hitting you?” she said and he looked up an met her eyes.

“Ever since my mom died…” he said in a soft, serious voice and she wanted to hug him.

“I’m sorry, Alan.” she said with her head hung low. “Do you mind if I ask how long ago that was?” she said knowing she had to know how long his dad had been hitting him.

“About five years ago…” Alan said as he tried to fight tears Regina knew were coming and she regretted asking her first question to start all of that.

“You know what…this was a bad idea. Let’s just forget talking about this and go back to studying, okay?” Regina said trying to move on. She didn’t want to upset Alan.

“It’s okay, Regina. I like talking about my mom. She…kinda balanced everything out, you know. My dad was always hard on me and she was there to comfort me. He didn’t start hitting me until she died. You know…I’ve never told anyone that before.”

“I’m glad I’m the first. Alan…I’m going to regret saying this, but…maybe you should talk to your dad. I know he won’t change his mind about us, and I know he hate that we are dating…but, he’s your dad and you’re all he has.”

“He hates me, Regina. I don’t know…maybe I remind him too much of mom. People always said I looked more like her than him. I don’t know if she was as accepting of, you know, blacks as I am, but…she was a good person.”

“I believe that. I mean, look at you. You’re on a football team with blacks and whites playing together…on the same team. You’re dating me. You have your mother’s heart and more. If your dad could see that, he’ll love you again. He’ll just hate you as well, for being with me. I okay with that, actually. I know some people won’t change no matter how much everyone around them are. You’ll just have to see if your dad had loved you, then…after your mom died and before you started dating me.” Regina said as she stared in his blue eyes.

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door and they panicked. Surely, Fred wouldn’t try to finish the job or try to take him back with him so soon after their fight. They were relieved to see Coach Herman Boone standing there with his daughter and Sheryl behind him. Alan stood up and let him inside. He make a courteous nod toward Regina and she returned with a slight wave.

“How are you holding up, Alan?” Coach Boone asked as Coach Yoast walked into the kitchen. Regina stared at the men that were almost like father figures for him.

“I’m doing fine, coach. The doctors said I shouldn’t play for at least a week or two, but I think I’ll be fine for next week.”

“No, you’re not, Alan.” Regina said in a voice that was similar to the tone her mother used when arguing with her dad. “Remember what my mom said…you need time to heal.”

“Yeah, yeah…” he said and as the two coaches stared at her with a smirk. She knew she had reminded them of their wives. “Her mother’s a nurse.”

“Yeah, I think I met her.” Coach Boone said as he turned to her. “Your name is Regina, right?” he said as he held out his hand to her and she accepted it. This was a formal introduction to the infamous Coach Boone. The tougher of the two coaches.

“Yes, it is. Nice to meet you.” she said before turning to Alan. “Hey, how about we meet up tomorrow to discuss the Henry VIII paper?”

“Sure…” he said as she gave a smile to the two coaches before leaving. Just as she was going back to her father’s car, Alan ran out and stopped her.

“Regina, do you mind if we go to the lake to study? I like Coach Yoast and all, but I kind of feel uncomfortable at his house.”

“Of course, we can study there. I was actually starting to miss the lake. Looks like you got me to accept nature. Not fully, but…anyway, I have to. I’ll see you tomorrow.” she said as she kissed him before getting into the car and driving off.