Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


A week later, Regina and Alan was sitting in his car studying by the pond. It felt a little different, but it was in a good way. Alan was her boyfriend and she was his girlfriend. She had refused to let the fact that they had to hide it to protect themselves ruin her moment.

“Regina…” Alan said as he place the book face down on his lap. “Let’s take a break. I feel like my head is going to explode.”

“Okay…we’ll take a break.” she said playfully rolling her eyes as she placed her book down also. “You’re getting better at this. Pretty soon, I won’t even have to tutor you.”

“But, that wouldn’t give me an excuse to see you and do this.” he said as he kissed her. Regina felt herself melt when his lips came in contact with hers.

“Alan…” she said as she pulled away from him. He looked confused, but she just simply smiled. “As much as I want to spend all my time kissing you right now, we have a big paper coming up and…” she said but paused when she saw a pink tongue dart out of his mouth and, quickly, licked his bottom lip. She knew the action wasn’t done on purpose, but as she saw that, she knew she had to kiss him. “Forget it…” she said as she leaned over and kissed him.

“Whoa…” Alan said as he pulled back from the kiss after what seemed like minutes. “What about the paper?” he said as he laughed.

“Oh no…don’t turn this on me. You’re the one that wanted to take a break…” she teased. “Ooh, I love this song!” she said as she turned up the radio to hear Stevie Wonder’s “If You Really Love Me”. She turns towards the door and grabbed the door handle.

“Wait, where are you going?” he asked as he watched her get out.

“Dancing.” she simply said as he went to the front of the car and started dancing. She watched him follow her after he turned the volume up. He was getting better at dancing, and she thought he was very cute. However, something was bothering her. The weather was still very much summer and very hot and Alan was wearing a jacket. She knew he must have been sweating bullets in that jacket if she had to wear a halter top and hot pants.

“Why are you staring at me like that?” Alan asked with an uncertain look on his face as the song changed. “You’re staring at me like you want to ask me something.”

“I’m trying to figure out why you’re wearing that jacket. It’s like an oven out here.”

“Ah…It’s not that bad.” he said and she gave him a skeptical look. “What?”

“Not that bad?!” she said with a laugh. “Look at what I’m wearing.” she said as she gestured to herself. “I’m sweating…even in this.”

“Really? I couldn’t tell because I can’t stop staring at those beautiful legs of yours in those shorts. Excuse me…hot pants.”

“Ha, ha…” she said as she stared at him with her hands on her hips. “There is nothing wrong with hot pants” she said as she walked up closer to him. “But, seriously, aren’t you hot in this?” she said as she grabbed his jacket by the collar and pulled down and she almost gasped when she saw bruises on his shoulder. “Oh my god, what happened, Alan?”

“Nothing. I got in a fight with a couple of guys…it’s nothing.”

“A fight? When? With who?” she said as she tugged at his jacket, but he pushed her hand away. “Alan, talk to me. If your getting hurt because of me…” she trailed off.

“It’s not about you. Look, I told you it was nothing.”

“This isn’t nothing. You have bruises on you. That isn’t nothing, Alan.” she said as she yanked his jacket off and pointed to his bruises. “What’s going on?”

“Look…I got in a fight with my old man. Ever since coach Yoast pulled me off and put Petey in…he’s been angry with me.”

“So, this fight got…physical?” she said as she saw him nod his head.

“He said I was stupid for allowing someone like Petey…someone black to take my spot. He was talking about moving me to a different school, and I don’t want to move to a different school. I don’t want to leave you, my friends, or T.C. Williams.”

“Alan, maybe we should rethink us dating. Your dad would kill you if he found out about us. I like you and all, but I don’t want you to die if…”

“Regina, my dad doesn’t run my life. I like you and if I want to date you…”

“Don’t be ridiculous, Alan. I’m not worth this trouble. Look at what happened to you when he’s mad about the whole football thing. Imagine what he’ll do when he finds out about you being friends with your black teammates and even worse…dating me.”

“I told you I didn’t care. I know we have to hide this, but I’m not going to let it completely stop me from seeing you.”

“That’s all nice and all, but you’re not listening to me. Your fascination with me is not worth ending your relationship with your father.”

“What do you mean by fascination, Regina? I really like you. Where is this coming from? I thought you knew that I liked you.”

“I know, I know…I’m just making sure. I’m just making sure you’re not risking a very important relationship for one you’re not completely sure about. I mean, are you, really? I’m not going to lie, I’m not really sure if this is worth it. I hate hiding that I like you and that you’re my friend and that you’re funny and silly and…someone I care about.”

“Okay…I’m having doubts, too. But, maybe one day, you and I could date and hang out and dance without anymore giving us a second look.”

“Yes, one day, but it’s not that day. We should break up…”

“I don’t want to break up with you. Hell, we’ve only been a couple for a week, Regina. Let’s just at least give this some time. I know you see people starting to come together. Look at how much people have changed already. Just think of how good it would be in a month.” he said as Regina rolled her eyes. She wanted to believe him that everything would okay, but she knew it wouldn’t. She knew that no matter how long it took, people were never going to see them for them. They would see the color of their skin first.

“People came together over football. Not a relationship, Alan. Look, we should probably get back to studying.” Regina said started walking back towards the car, but Alan stopped her.

“I don’t care what other people think. I believe everyone will come together one day.”

“The only reason you guys came together was because of football, Alan.

“True, but…that’s just a sports thing. Like you and Emma, Gerry’s girlfriend, could talk tonight …” he trailed off with a look that made Regina suspicious.

“What do you mean we could talk? Did you set me up to hang out with her?!”

“Sort of. Couch Yoast was having a birthday party for Sheryl and some of them wanted to bring their girlfriends. I want you to come.

“Alan…” she said wanting to protest and tell him no. But, she took one look into those jewel toned blue eyes and her wall broke down. “Fine, I’ll go. Now, let’s get back to studying.”

“What if I’m not finished with the break.” he said as he kissed her.

“Alan. Study. Now.” she said as she laughed at Alan’s feigned pout as they walked back to the car. Though Regina was smiling, she wasn’t looking forward to the birthday party.