Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


There Regina stood face to face with the infamous Fred Bosley. He looked in disgust as he stared down at them holding hands, something Regina didn’t even realize they were doing.

“Alan…” Fred said in a cold tone that chilled Regina down to her bones.

“Dad, I…” Alan said as he held her hand tighter. She was happy that he wasn’t backing down. “This is my girlfriend, Regina.”

“Alan…if you do not let of her that girl’s hand and come with me…” Fred warned and Regina could feel him flinch.

“I’m staying at the party, dad.” Alan said in a soft voice. Just then, Coach Yoast stepped in.

“Fred, come on now, this is my little Sheryl’s birthday party. Now, don’t cause a scene that you’re gonna regret causing later.”

“Bill…look at what he’s doing! You and the others around here try to act like things are normal as if you forgot about what these people did…all because some nigger kid got shot.”

“Excuse you?!” Regina said as she stepped forward and was in Fred’s face. She could see him sneer down at her, but she didn’t flinch.

“Get out of my face, girl. I don’t even know what my son sees in you…”

“I see everything you don’t see, dad.” Alan said as he pushed her behind him. “I see an amazing person interested in literature and music and me. I don’t care what you say…I’m dating her.” Alan said in a tone that angered Fred and if there weren’t too many people at the party he probably would have hit him.

“Alan…I’ll see you when you get home…” Fred said in a dismissive tone as he left and there was a queasy feeling in the pit of Regina’s stomach.

“Don’t go home tonight, Alan.” she begged, suddenly.

“Why? I’m not afraid of him. Not anymore.”

“But, I’m afraid for you. He’s gonna kill you now that he knows you and I are dating. I mean…look what he did to your shoulder for the whole Petey thing.”

“I know, but I can’t avoid him. He’s my dad, but I’m not going to let him run my life.” he said before Coach Yoast walked up to them.

“Alan…am I hearing this right? Is your dad hitting you?”

“No…” Alan said as he stared down at the floor and Regina couldn’t let him do that.

“Yes, he is!” Regina said and Alan look at her as if she had betrayed him. “Alan, forget your pride and save your life. If you go home, tonight, he’s going to kill you.”

“He won’t do that. Yeah, he’s mad, but he won’t…”

“Sometimes…family can do more harm than your worst enemies, Alan. I’ve seen it happen. Don’t go home tonight, please.”

“I know my dad, Regina…he won’t do that. And for the record, he doesn’t hit me. We just get into fights a lot.” Alan said and Regina rolled her eyes. Damn male pride.

“Are you sure, Alan?” Coach Yoast asked as he stared at him.

“Yes, I’m sure. Oh heck, you shouldn’t eve being worrying about me. This is your daughter’s birthday party, after all.”

“You’re like a son to me, Alan. I can’t go on with one child knowing that the other is hurting.” he said and that made Alan smile.

“I’ll be fine, coach. Trust me…I know how to handle him. He just needs to cool off.”

“Okay…but if you need anything, I’ll be here for you.” Coach Yoast said as he walked away.

“Regina…” Alan said in a slightly angry tone. “Why’d you say that?”

“You should be thanking me. I’m trying to save your life. You dad beat the crap out of you for allowing Petey to take your spot…I don’t even want to know what he’s going to do now. Alan, I really care about you and I don’t want you to get hurt or…”

“I will be fine, Regina. Don’t worry about me. Come on…let’s just enjoy the party.”

“I can’t do that knowing that if you go home your dad will try to kill you…it’s all my fault.”

“How could you say that? You’re the one that wanted to break up with me when you found out about the bruises on my shoulder. I’m the one that wanted to date you, still. I care about you too much to let my dad’s feelings get in the way.” he said as he grabbed her hand.

“Alan…” Regina said in a soft voice. “Don’t have so much pride. That’s gonna get you killed if you’re not careful.” she said as she kissed him on the cheek. “Now, let’s have fun.” she said with a big smile as they made their way to Petey and Blue.

“Hey, Petey, Blue.” Alan said as they walked up to them. Petey had gotten over Regina’s rejection and saw her as more like a sister. He wasn’t quite sold on them dating, but it wasn’t as big of a deal to him as it was with other people.

“You okay, man?” Blue asked as he looked at Alan. “We saw what was going on there.”

“Yeah, I’m fine. Just had my relationship out in the open to my dad before I wanted to, but who cares what he thinks? Who wouldn’t like this girl here?” Alan said and she blushed.

“Your dad doesn’t like me…” Regina mumbled and Alan looked at her with a sad look. She knew he wanted his dad to like her, but he also knew that he wouldn’t.

“I know…but he doesn’t matter, remember?” he said with a smile.

“I guess…” she trailed off as she watched everybody at the party. It seemed as if she and the Titans were in another world in which black and white got along. She knew Alan was the only one at the party talking to her, Petey, Blue and Rev. Gerry tried, but Emma and Ray were there to ruin the moment. “I’ll be right back.” she said to them as she went to look for the bathroom. She was almost there when Gerry stopped her.

“I’m really sorry about Emma and Ray…” he simply said as he stared down at the ground out of embarrassment. “I just…I’m sorry.”

“Thanks…” she mumbled as she stared at him. “Gerry? If you’re such great friends with Julius…why are you still friends with Ray and dating Emma?”

“I don’t know…Ray’s been my best friend since we were kids and Emma…well, that’s kind of difficult to explain. Why are you with Alan? You know…knowing how things are here and especially his dad.” he said as he stared down at the ground again.

“That’s a good question…” she said with a chuckle, then stopped and smiled when she saw Alan laughing with Petey. “I don’t know…there’s just something about him that makes it worth it. The stares we get, the looks of disgust and shock and disapproval. It comes from everybody. Black and white people don’t like seeing Alan and me together. I know you probably wouldn’t admit this, and I’m not trying to jump to conclusions, but I can tell you don’t really like that we are dating. I know you don’t hate me…but you wouldn’t like seeing us together. Am I right?”

“I hate to say it, but…yes. I really don’t hate you, but something in me keeps saying that this ain’t right. I just don’t see how you could date knowing how people would feel…”

“Well, at least you’re honest. I respect you for that. Well, I have to go, but thanks for the apology.” she said as she went to the bathroom and returned to Alan, Blue, Petey, and Rev. They enjoyed the rest of the party and left. Alan dropped her off at her house and she made him promise that he would come directly to her house if things went bad with his dad. She knew it was…