Barrier by tpeezy22
RetiredSummary:

Hearing- to have the capacity of apprehending sound.

Deaf- partially or wholly lacking or deprived of the sense of hearing; unable to hear.

Angela is an accountant who falls in love with Patrick, a Deaf man who lives in her apartment. Can they find love together even if they are different?


Categories: Original Fiction Characters: None
Classification: None
Genre: Comedy , Drama, Erotica, Friendship, Romance
Story Status: None
Pairings: None
Warnings: Extreme Language, Fluff, Sexual Content
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: No Word count: 10692 Read: 14575 Published: March 17 2011 Updated: July 27 2012

1. Cast Pics by tpeezy22

2. Chapter 2 by tpeezy22

3. Chapter 3 by tpeezy22

4. Chapter 4 by tpeezy22

5. Chapter 5 by tpeezy22

6. Chapter 6 by tpeezy22

7. Chapter 7 by tpeezy22

8. Chapter 8 by tpeezy22

9. Chapter 9 by tpeezy22

Cast Pics by tpeezy22
Author's Notes:

I’m currently taking an American Sign Language 1 class and it inspired me to write a story based on the conflict two people face when one is hearing and the other Deaf. Throughout the story, there are going to be some dialogue that will be italicized: when something is either written or signed. Also, dialogue that is signed will be translated in to English. Please enjoy.

Angela

 

 

 

 

 

Patrick

 

 

 

 

Greg

 

 

 

 

Carmen

 

Chapter 2 by tpeezy22

Angela was glad to be home. After doing a spreadsheet of a client’s finances for the past year, all she wanted to do was go to her apartment and relax. She’s determined to make partner and be respected as a worthy employee. She entered her apartment building greeting a fellow tenant as she checked her mail. Nothing but bills and an invitation to one of her friend’s bachelorette party. She shrugged it off and continued her way to the elevator. The elevator doors opened and her and another person stepped inside. She pressed for her floor which was on fifth and was about to ask the man what floor when he pressed seven.

He gave her a curt nod and she did the same. She never really seen him before. On the other hand, she never really took the time to get to know anyone in her building, so he probably lived there for a long time. She spent her days working and didn’t have time to socialize. What she could tell about the man was that he was quite attractive. He had this nice mass of tightly-wound brown curls and bright brown eyes. The elevator was between floors three and four when it suddenly jerked to a stop. Panic set in both of them and Angela desperately pushed buttons.

“Hey, do you know what’s wrong with this thing?” the man looked at her as if he didn’t understand her and she hoped he understood English. She continued pressing buttons with no change. “Damn it! Do you have any ideas?” he shrugged.

“Sorry….” she noticed his speech wasn’t exactly clear and she had a hard time understanding him. Angela saw him move his hand. It looked as if he was asking her for a pen.

“Oh.” Angela took out a pen and some paper out of her briefcase and handed it to the man. He scribbled something on the pad and handed it to her.

I think it’s stuck.” he gave her the pen and paper indicating he wanted to communicate with her.

Understand English?

I understand English. I just can’t hear…Deaf.” Angela felt bad for talking to him earlier. At first she thought he was rude because he didn’t respond. Now she understood why and felt stupid.

I’m so sorry for earlier. Long day at work.” she thought it was not a wise thing to write…it was no excuse for her thinking he was rude.

You didn’t know. It’s okay.

No, really, I feel like a jackass. Sorry.” there was no communication between them and Angela was noticing that no one has came to fix the problem of the elevator. “It’s taking long for maintenance to respond.

I know…idiots…all they do is sit on their asses. this made Angela chuckle. She noticed he had a nice smile.

What is your name?

Patrick.

Angela.” she noticed he didn’t write anything down and signed to her. “What was that?

I was saying nice to meet you. There you go…your ASL lesson for today.” he drew a smiley face at the end.

ASL?

American Sign Language.

“Oh.” she mouthed.

I understood that, by the way. I can sorta read lips.

Um…I hope this doesn’t offend you…how do you manage?

You didn’t offend me. I can do everything that a hearing person can do except hear. I’m paraphrasing from a famous person…drawing a blank.

Wise words.

I live by those words.

This is the first time I talk to the rest of the residents. I’m usually busy with work.

What do you do for work?…if you don’t mind me asking.

Accountant…you?

I teach junior high at the Horace Mann School for the Deaf…go figure….

Angela glanced at her watch and it was now hitting the five minute mark and maintenance still hasn’t showed. She would usually fill the uncomfortable silences by doing some meaningless chit-chat and later forgetting about it. She was unsure how to deal with this situation. For someone she didn’t have any way of fully communicating with, she found him more intriguing than the old lady’s that she gets stuck in the elevator chatting endlessly about their pets. A minute pass and he scribbles on the paper again.

While we wait, do you want to learn some signs?

I don’t know….

Come on…it would be fun….

Fine.

I’m going to show you how to say hello, nice to meet you, and asking someone’s name.

Okay…I might suck at it.” she didn’t know how difficult it might be. It took her years to even master the basics in Spanish.

“You won’t.” he spoke and signed at the same time.

Patrick did the first sign for hello and pointed to Angela to try it. She looked at him hesitantly and copied his move. There was no way she was going to remember this, but she decided to humor him. She didn’t even know if he actually lived there. The next phrase was the one she seen before. She signed it but he corrected one thing. Angela thought she looked silly and he was probably thinking the same thing. Patrick signed the last phrase and she copied effortlessly. Afterwards, she wrote on the pad again.

How was I?

Not bad. It takes practice, but I think you’re a natural.

Thanks.

They both stood awkwardly in the elevator not sure if they would continue the conversation. Angela just met him and knew nothing about him. As much as she didn’t mind being stuck in an elevator with a cute stranger, she really wanted to get her work clothes off and relax. Suddenly she heard the latch on the top open and knew maintenance had arrived. A few more minutes and the elevator moved again. They both let out sighs of relief. The elevator hit her floor first and she waved goodbye him before leaving.

Angela opened her apartment door and threw her briefcase on the table next to the door. She kicked off her shoes and made her way to the bedroom. Her day was finally over and she would start her angry letter to the landlord tonight. Though dreadful, she didn’t really mind the company. What was she saying? It was just a random guy, and she would just chalk it up as some weird, random event. She would forget those signs in two days. Chance of her seeing him again was probably slim to rare.

Chapter 3 by tpeezy22

It was Saturday which meant laundry day for Angela. She loved living in her apartment, but she loathed the fact that it did not have individual washer and dyers. She hated being down in the laundry room all day watching her clothes making sure no one touches or tries to take her stuff. She decided to take the stairs more often after the elevator incident. She made her way to the laundry room and started her laundry. An hour later she heard two people carry their things into the room. She noticed it was the man she was stuck on the elevator with three days ago. There was a tall man with dirty blond hair standing right next to him.

“Hi.” Angela said politely.

“Angela, right?”

“Yeah.” she saw him sign to the man and nodded.

“Patrick told me you’re the woman he was stuck on the elevator with. Hi, I’m Greg.”

“Hi. Are you his interpreter?”

“Kinda…I’m his roommate. Let’s just say I’m his interpreter but I don’t get paid. I should.” he was talking and signing at the same time. Patrick signed something to him and shoved his shoulder.

“What did he say?”

“He said that his half of the rent plus beer money is my payment.” they all laughed.

“Doing laundry, too?” she saw Patrick sign something and knew that Greg would interpret.

“Yeah…guys do have the ability to wash their clothes. How are you?”

“Tired. I’ve been busy all week.”

“So, Patrick told me you are an accountant?”

“Yes. I know…boring job, but I do enjoy it. What do you do?”

“I’m a nurse. I mostly help with kids and stuff like that.”

“How did you meet Greg?”

“I met him at a deaf camp when I was twelve.” Greg turned to Angela. “My mom is Deaf. We’ve been friends ever since.”

“Nice. I wish I could learn ASL. I took Spanish for four years and I still suck at it.”

“Patrick says that you were good at it. ASL is a visual language and it seems you are a visual learner. Hey, if you want we can help you learn ASL.”

“Do I have to pay you?” she stared at Greg referencing his earlier statement.

“Nope…unless you want to. Anyway, here’s my number if you’re serious about getting lessons. Don’t worry about it. You’ll be fine.”

“I guess so.” she turned her attention towards Patrick. “Do you like teaching?”

“I enjoy it. I give kids the confidence and the reassurance that being Deaf doesn’t limit their lives. I’m Deaf and I still lead a normal life.”

Angela took her clothes out of the dryer and was about to fold. She did enjoy getting to know at least two people that lived in her building. Greg seems like a true friend to be there for Patrick to interpret things. She saw him put his stuff in before pausing quizzically. He stuck his hand in and pulled out something blue.

“Is this yours?” Greg interpreted for him.

“Huh?” she looked in Patrick’s hand which held her blue lace panties. She grew embarrassed and wanted to hide. “Yes.” he gave her the underwear back and she cursed under her breath. She would normally fold her clothes in the laundry room, but she was far too embarrassed since they knew what kind of underwear she buys.

The next few days were filled with her working and gradually talking to Patrick and Greg more. She was even invited to their place for dinner once, though she politely declined. She decided to buy a book and a DVD on ASL. She told Greg and he decided to help her. One day after work, Angela’s friend Carmen was coming to her house so they can plan her bachelorette party. She was excited that her friend was getting married, but Angela felt horrible because she was one of the few women in her circle of friends that was single. She heard a knock at the door.

“Hello, bestie.”

“Hey, Carmen. How have you been?”

“Um…a nervous wreck. Planning a wedding not to mention the bachelorette party is hard. Anyway, how are you?”

I’m doing okay. Did I tell you I got stuck in an elevator for like ten minutes before maintenance showed up?”

“Holy cow, they do know that’s what their job is…to be there when something breaks down.”

“I know. Me and this other guy was in there. Anyway, what do you need help with?”

“I need to find a place I can rent for that night. Oh, and I need to go to the adult store and get some penis cake molds.”

“Really, Carmen.”

“What, just because I’m getting married does not mean I can’t be a little dirty. It’s not like you haven’t seen one before.”

“It’s just I haven’t seen one in a long time.”

“That’s why you need to get a man.”

“You’re just saying that because you already have a man.”

“Yeah, yeah…sure. Should I get anything else for the party?”

“Carmen, are you going to have one of those crazy bachelorette parties where everything has a penis on them…cuz that would be over-doing it.”

“No…there’s not going to be penises everywhere…much….”

“Carmen….”

Angela helped Carmen look online for the perfect penis-mold cake. It surprised her how many naughty bachelorette decorations existed. Afterwards, Carmen left. It was bad enough to be single, but it was worse to be single and not been intimate with a man in forever. She just hoped no one got the stupid, and cliché, idea of hiring male strippers. Angela looked over at her briefcase and saw the spreadsheet she had to look over for a client.

Having just finished her work, Angela decided to flip through the ASL book. She bought it but didn’t have time to fully read it. She felt like she was an undergrad all over again taking a language class. There was no real reason she needed to learn ASL except for talking to Patrick. Why did she want to communicate with Patrick in the first place? Angela found one chapter hard and decided to call Greg.

“Hello?”

“Greg, this is Angela. Are you busy?”

“I just got off a graveyard shift , why?”

“Never mind, you’re tired and I don’t want you to come down here for nothing.”

“I don’t mind. I go in late tomorrow…what’s wrong?”

“Um…I’ve been reading the ASL book and I kinda need your help on something.”

“I’ll be right there.”

“Thank you so much.”

“No problem.” Angela hung up the phone and waited until Greg knocked on her door. “So, I see you finally cracked the book open.”

“Very funny. I’ve been busy, get off me.”

“I know, right. I still don’t know how I’m awake. Well, enough about me, what thing are you stuck on?”

“Chapter 2. This chapter is confusing me. I keep typing the sentence and it keeps showing up as wrong.”

“You’re typing in English. ASL is different. Think of when you first met Patrick. He told me he taught you how to sign ‘what’s your name’? Actually, in ASL you’re saying ‘your name what?’ The word order is different.” he saw Angela’s face scrunch up in confusion and frustration. “I know it seems hard, but it gets better.

“It’s so confusion to me. How do you manage to remember all of this?”

“Well being a CODA it takes practice. When I was younger it took me two years to even talk to my mother.”

“Excuse me…CODA?”

“Sorry…CODA means Child of Deaf Adult. It’s both a gift and a curse. I’m part of both hearing and Deaf cultures, but at the same time, I really don’t belong in either.”

“That’s sounds tough. At least you have plenty of practice. I don’t really see how I’m going to use ASL anytime in the future.”

“Angela, you will learn this. It’s really nice of you to learn ASL just so you can communicate with Patrick.”

“Well…I never really pay attention to who lives here. I thought the point of living in an apartment was to not get to know the neighbors.”

“That’s a myth. At least I want it to be. Hey, what are you doing this weekend?”

“Why?”

“You could go to dinner with us. It will help you learn more signs.”

“How is that going to help me learn ASL?”

“Okay, our third person canceled but, it would be a good way to practice.”

“In a restaurant?”

“Why not?”

“You do have a point.”

“Nice. Text you the deets. Cya.”

“Bye.” Angela closed the door behind her and returned to the couch. She glanced over pages in the book and thought about Patrick.

Chapter 4 by tpeezy22

Angela was sifting through her closet not sure what to wear. It was odd to be involved with two men and neither of them found her attractive. Maybe they were gay and they wanted to be her gay boyfriends. Though she never got that vibe from either of them. What if it was they both liked her and they were into some weird, freaky threesome thing. I mean, it was weird that they had invited her to dinner. Damn it, she figured she got roped into some double date…but who was her date? She just decided to get dressed and meet them at the restaurant. She arrived and was surprised to only see Greg sitting at the table.

“Hi, where’s Patrick?”

“He couldn’t make it tonight. I’m sorry, I should’ve told you.”

“No…it’s okay.” there was slight disappointment in her voice.

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah, I’m fine.”

They ordered some wine and decided to talk. Angela knew she should just leave but, it might come off as rude to Greg.. He was cute after all. Carmen would be relieved that she finally went out on a date, but something bothered her and she wasn’t sure why. Greg was chatting about working in the hospital when he noticed that Angela would zone out at moments. He knew what was wrong with her.

“Angela, are you okay?”

“I’m fine.”

“No you’re not. You’re not really interested in me, are you?”

“It’s nothing personal…I just see you as a friend.”

“Relax…this isn’t a date. It’s just getting to know each other.”

“Please don’t be upset.”

“I’m not. To tell you the truth, I knew it.”

“You do? Knew what?”

“You like Patrick.”

“I do….” she closed her eyes in case he really was attracted to her and she broke his heart.

“Oh boy….”

“What do you mean ‘oh boy’?”

“I think you and him would be great together, but….”

“But….”

“Promise you won’t get offended?” he waited until she nodded. “I told you before that my mother was born Deaf. Growing up I always thought that God hated my mother. I thought she was being punished. Later in life, I realized that she was not punished but blessed.”

“No offense, but what does that have to do with me liking Patrick?”

“The point is, there were moments growing up when I was frustrated that my relationship with my mom was not like other people. Everybody else’s parents could hear, and it is difficult to communicate when you’re not Deaf. If you want to pursue something with Patrick…it’s complicated.”

“What is so damn complicated that I want to get to know him better?”

“He told me not to tell, but he suggested we go on this dinner.”

“Why?!”

“He really likes you. He won’t shut up about you. He’s my friend and I love him, but he could be an idiot.”

“He could’ve just been here if he wanted a date with me.”

“Patrick sorta brought up a valid point. The language issue. It’s difficult for someone who is hearing be in a relationship with someone who’s Deaf. Especially if the person doesn’t sign.”

“What if we make it work? You can always help me with ASL until I get better.”

“Look, you’re one of the few women that didn’t let the fact that he’s Deaf to deter you from being attracted to him…just be mindful of the obstacles that will come with it.”

Greg and Angela finished the dinner. It was awkward but at least they mutually saw themselves as friends. Angela tried to take what Greg said into consideration. She was glad that Patrick felt the same, but it confused her as to why he thought she would be better for Greg. She was determined to learn ASL in order to communicate with Patrick. She hated that Greg was right, but she knew if she started something with Patrick she would run into problems.

It was the day of Carmen’s bachelorette party, so Angela spent the day helping Carmen decorate the rented space. She tried to distance herself from Patrick and Greg. She needed some advice and she thought to confide in Carmen. After decorating, they went back to Angela’s apartment to have some tea.

“Angela, you look a little down. Everything okay?”

“Yeah…well, not really. You remember the time I got stuck in the elevator?”

“Yep.”

“The other person was this guy…I thought he was rude because I asked him a question and he didn’t answer. Turns out he’s Deaf. His name is Patrick It was weird, I felt so comfortable around him and he’s nice. I saw him a few days later and he lives with this guy.”

“Don’t tell me he’s gay….”

“No, they’re best friends because the guy and Patrick met at a Deaf camp…the guy, Greg, has a mother who is Deaf, so he knows ASL.”

“So, it that why you have a book on your coffee table about sign language?”

“I’ve been reading and studying the language, but I think it might be a waste of time.”

“Why do you say that?”

“Because…one night they both invited me to this restaurant. At first I thought it was weird, but I went anyway. It was only Greg there. He later told me that Patrick couldn’t make it.”

“So you two had a date?”

“Sort of. I don’t know why but I didn’t feel anything with Greg. Don’t get me wrong, he’s gorgeous, but there was something about Patrick that I liked. Anyway, Greg knew I wasn’t interested in him and he knew I was attracted to Patrick.”

“So why is that a bad thing? A guy wasn’t offended if you were not that into him. Big step for men I say.”

“I know, but he told me that Patrick thought me and Greg would be a better couple than me and him. Thing is…Patrick’s attracted to me.”

“I think he knows that you’re just learning ASL…that is why he thinks you would be better off with someone who can hear…like Greg. It would be less complicated.”

“But I don’t want Greg! I like Patrick. Whenever I’m with him, we laugh and talk…well, talk as mush as we can whenever Greg is not there. I can see it in his eyes that he likes being around me.”

“You have one dilemma. Have you gotten any better with ASL?”

“Believe it or not…I have. Easier than Spanish.”

“Don’t even bring up Spanish. I have nightmares of being in high school all over again.”

“I just wish I could improve more. I don’t want to depend on Greg all the time. I want to be able to talk to Patrick without looking confused or lost at some places.”

“Hey, you will get better. It can’t all happen in a few days. I hate that you’re in this situation….” she patted her shoulder.

“Me too.”

“How about we go to my bachelorette party!”

“I’ve never heard of a bride planning her own bachelorette party.”

Angela and Carmen got ready for the party. She decided to push her drama aside and be supportive of Carmen. More of their friends showed up and brought gifts. They danced, ate, and drank. Angela was thankful that no one hired an exotic male dancer. Carmen’s gifts were the typical ones of lingerie and stuff for the home. Carmen bought lover’s dice as little keepsakes for her guests along with penis-shaped lollipops. After a crazy night, Angela returned to the apartment. She was already in the elevator and it was about to close when Patrick stuck his hand out and made the doors slide open. He stepped inside and pressed his floor.

“Hello.” he spoke.

“Hi.” Angela greeted him when one of the lover’s dice slipped and fell to the floor. Patrick looked down to the ground and saw the word ‘lick’ on the die. Angela immediately blushed with embarrassment and quickly picked up the die.

“Wild night?” he talked and signed to her. He looked amused.

“Yeah…” she finger spelled bachelorette party for him.

She hoped she did it right. She would practice the alphabet so she could at least finger spell words she did not know how to sign. It was an awkward elevator ride for Angela. If not him seeing her panties wasn’t enough, now he thinks she’s some kinky freak with the dice. She heard a vibrating noise and Patrick pulled out his cell. He rolled his eyes at the message. Angela asked ‘what’. He showed her the text. Greg went out and had a woman at the apartment and he asked if Patrick would hang around town for a couple of hours. She nodded and signed sorry. Patrick began typing on his phone and showed her the message. It read ‘Do U mind if I spend a couple of hrs @ UR place?’. Angela wasn’t sure if it was a good idea but she nodded yes.

Chapter 5 by tpeezy22

On the way up, Angela was thinking of having second thoughts. She wanted to be alone with Patrick, but she didn’t want to confront him on the whole setting her up with Greg ordeal. She didn’t really want to admit it, but it hurt knowing that Patrick would think him being Deaf was an issue for her. They reached her apartment and she fumbled with her keys as she tried to open the door. Patrick was standing patiently until she opened the door. They went inside and Angela motioned for him to sit on the loveseat in her living room.

How are you?

Tired. My friend is getting married this weekend.

Your ASL is getting better. You are a natural.

Thank you.” she looked around her apartment and into the kitchen. “You want anything to drink?

What do you have?

Water, soda, juice, wine, beer….

Water.

Did you go out dancing?

No, the school had a basketball game, and I had to volunteer at the concession stand.

Did they win?

Yes…30 to 17.

Nice.” Angela bit her bottom lip because she really wanted to tell Patrick how she felt. It was harder for her to since she knew he felt the same way.

The party, how was it?

It was…nice.

Something fell out of your hand….

Lover’s dice. My friend is crazy.

So is Greg. He says two hours…more like twenty minutes.

How do you know?

It was a joke.

What?

“Joke.” he said and they both laughed. Angela forgot that he asked for water and quickly got up and went into the kitchen. She saw the wine bottle sitting on the counter but stopped herself from opening it. She returned with two glasses of water.

Want to watch a movie?

Yes. What do you have?

Angela pulled out a few movies and showed them to Patrick. Most of her movies were chick flicks and she knew no man would want to sit through some sappy romantic comedy. They both decided to watch Coyote Ugly. Angela turned on the captions and started the movie. She bought the movie years ago and couldn’t remember any of the scenes except for the bar. Patrick seemed to enjoy it though he told her he never seen it. Everything was going okay until the love scene between the two main characters. Angela suddenly thought about Patrick taking her on the loveseat. She licked her lips as the male character was planting kisses down the woman’s body. She choked and Patrick was patting her back.

Are you okay?

Yes. I need water.” she grabbed her glass and downed her water.

It took all the restraint she had to not jump Patrick. What was wrong with her? She was acting like a cat in heat. With her cough under control, Angela resumed the movie. Patrick kept staring at her not sure if she was alright. He didn’t want to admit it, but that scene affected him as well. It was hard for Patrick to be near Angela and not touch her. The other thing on his mind that prevented him from acting on his feelings was their difference. He knew all too well the complications of dating someone who was hearing. There would be the lack of communication, the shame of being with someone not normal, the treating him like he was some charity case. He didn’t want to go through it again. The movie had ended, and Angela stopped the DVD.

Did you like the movie?

It was okay….

It was bad.

Yes.” they both chuckled. Neither of them didn’t know what to do, so Patrick checked his phone for the time.

I should go. Thank you for the movie.

You’re welcome.

Patrick got up from the loveseat and put his jacket on. Angela noticed Patrick had something on his mind and was about to say something, but stopped himself. They awkwardly smiled at each other while Angela placed the DVD back unto the shelf. She didn’t want him to leave…not without giving an explanation about why he set her up with Greg. Patrick was at the door when he waved goodnight to her. Angela closed the door releasing a sigh as she leaned against it.

It was the next day and Angela met up with Carmen for coffee. Well, Angela had coffee…Carmen was trying to fit into her Vera Wang dress. She still couldn’t get her mind off the awkward moment while watching the movie. It was embarrassing and strange that they watched that scene and neither of them made any moves. Once Angela received her coffee, they sat down.

“Oh my God, kill me now. Let me just sniff your coffee…”

“Carmen, you know you don’t have to starve yourself. You’re skinny enough…too skinny.”

“Excuse me? Did you buy a Vera Wang dress that can’t be altered?”

“I know, but it’s okay to have a cookie every now and then.”

“Fine. Anyway, did you have a blast at the bacherlorette party?”

“I hate you by the way.”

“Why?”

“I was perfectly happy just going up the elevator by myself and Patrick holds the fucking elevator doors open and waltzes right in.”

“And how is that my fault?”

“I said hello to him and one of your lover’s dice fell unto the floor. He must think I’m some horrible, freaky chick that’s has a sex dungeon or something. Not funny, Carmen!” she saw Carmen trying to stifle a laugh.

“Oh come on, it’s pretty funny.”

“No, it’s not. Anyway, he asked me about the thing and I had to explain to him that it was a bachelorette party. I was almost to my floor when he got a text from Greg. Apparently, he had a date in the apartment and wanted Patrick to busy himself for two hours. Then I agreed to a stupid thing….”

“What was it?”

“He asked if he could chill at my apartment for a couple of hours…and I said yes.”

“Ooh, this sounds interesting. What happened?”

“Nothing really. We talked for a bit. He had to attend a basketball game at the school and sell at concessions. We watched a movie. God, I forgot Coyote Ugly had a really racy love scene in it. I kinda got aroused….”

“Did you two….”

“What?! No! It was just an awkward situation. I think I saw Patrick squirming a bit, too.”

“Why didn’t you take him by the hand and take him to your bedroom?”

“I don’t know….”

“Angela, he’s Deaf…not dead. He’s like any other man that wants some. I say ask him out. Okay, so you haven’t fully mastered ASL, but you do know he’s attracted to you. Do it!”

“I guess so.” Angela and Carmen left the coffee shop to go get manicures.

Patrick and Greg were hanging around the apartment. They ordered Chinese and cracked open beers. Greg noticed Patrick was in a pensive state. Patrick kept thinking about that night with Angela. He couldn’t believe he felt feelings for her. Greg interrupted his thoughts.

Patrick, can I be blunt with you?

Yes.

Why did you make me go on a date with Angela?

She likes you.

No, she doesn’t. I know you are attracted to her. Why are you pushing her away?

I really don’t want to talk about it.

Yes, we need to talk about it. Angela felt hurt that you would pass her off to me like sloppy seconds. She didn’t say it, but I know that’s how she felt.

I didn’t mean to hurt her.

Don’t tell me that…talk to her.

I can’t!

Patrick, what is wrong with you?!

How can I fall in love with someone I can’t communicate with? I’ve been through the whole dating someone who can hear…didn’t turn out well.” Greg hated when Patrick would mention his failed relationship with a former love who couldn’t handle the difference.

Angela isn’t her.

I know, but it still won’t work. We live in two different worlds.

At least have the balls to tell her why you two wouldn’t work.

Patrick hated when Greg was right. He was intrigued by Angela, yet at the same time he’s afraid. Getting out of that relationship was hard for him. The last hearing woman he’s dated loved him at first, but there were always complications. She would always complain they couldn’t do things like normal couples did and it frustrated her. Patrick decided it would be easier to date Deaf women from now on. He took the elevator down to her floor and knocked on her door. Took a deep breath not wanting to do what he was about to do.

Chapter 6 by tpeezy22

Angela had just came back from a long day of hanging out with Carmen. She was glad to get that night off her chest. It was a slight relief to not think about Patrick for a moment. After the long day, Angela decided to take a nice long bath. Having finished her bath, she dressed in her red nightgown and made her way towards the kitchen. She opened the cabinet and grabbed a wineglass. It was time to crack open that wine bottle she thought. After pouring her glass, she heard a knock. It surprised her because she wasn’t expecting anyone. She grabbed her black robe and opened the door. To her surprise she saw Patrick standing at the threshold.

Patrick?

Can I come in?

Yes.” she moved so Patrick could enter. Looking down she tightened her robe around her. She motioned for him to sit on the love seat. “What’s up?

I have something to tell you. I knew I was not going to the dinner.

Why?

I thought you two would be a great couple.

Patrick, that’s very nice of you, but I don’t need help with dates. Greg is nice, but not my type.

Are you upset?

I’m just curious as to why you think I should date Greg.” Angela didn’t want to be too forward with her confrontation but she wanted to know the reason. Patrick was a bit caught off guard by her inquiries.

He’s nice, funny, smart, loyal….

Are you giving him to me as a pet?

Sorry, I made him sound like a puppy. I’m sorry for being too involved in your love-life.

It’s okay.” she had to make him stay longer so she can really talk to him. She saw her wine bottle sitting on the counter and her glass on the coffee table. “Do you want something to drink?”

What kind of wine is that?

A Pinot Noir. Do you want some?

Yes.

Angela smiled and got up from the love seat. Patrick felt bad for chickening out and not tell her fully of why he set her up with Greg. When she first got up he noticed her lovely legs being exposed. The smart thing for him was to tell her he changed his mind and leave, but he could not think for the moment. Angela is in the kitchen trying to keep her nerves together. Of course she knew why he wasn’t at that dinner. She just wanted to see him say it. She returned to the love seat with Patrick’s glass.

It’s really good.

Thank you. I love wine from Italy.” there was a pause then Patrick signed again.

Is ASL easy or hard for you?

It’s a little hard but I’m improving.

Do you need help? I am willing to help.

Okay.

Angela picked up the book and flipped through pages. Patrick knew Greg would be disappointed in him that he was a coward. Then again, he realized Angela could as well confronted him on the dinner more. Was she as heartbroken as Greg claimed she was? He gulped his wine while looking at Angela pursing her lips together as she searched for places in the book that confused her. After searching, she held up the book in front of Patrick.

That’s easy.

Easy for you.

You’re talking about directions and where things are located.

Can you give me an example?

Near and far. Your office is far. You would use facial expression.” he exaggerated his face as to indicate that something was far. He stretched out his arm in a general direction. “Your kitchen is near, you would do this….” he made a face and placing his hand near his side.

Okay, now I understand. Thank you.

Anything else?

I need help with family and friends.

Okay.

How do you sign only child?” Angela watched as Patrick signed. “Okay, I’m an only child.

Same.

Really? Is it okay if I ask about your family?

Yes. Both my parents are Deaf and I was born Deaf.

How did they meet?

At Gallaudet.

What’s that?

It’s a school for the Deaf. It’s a really good school in Washington D.C. I went there for college.

I went to NYU and everybody hated that I was from Boston.

Red Sox fan?

Yeah. You?

A little. I’m more of a basketball fan.

The Celtics. Me too.

What about your family?

My family? I was born and raised in Boston. My parents lived here their whole lives.” she noticed both their wines glasses were empty. “More wine?

Yes. Thank you.

Angela got up from the love seat and brought the bottle over. She poured his glass, then hers. Her robe had fell open a bit and Patrick could see her cleavage. He noticed she was wearing something with red lace. His mind, and eyes, went straight to her bedroom. He quickly looked in her direction and took a sip from his glass.

I forgot to tell you that you have a really nice place.

Thank you. I wanted it to look like a home.

You saw me and Greg’s apartment. We definitely look like two bachelors.

I like it.

Why? Greg never does the dishes, and I hate doing chores.

“Men.” she rolled her eyes.

What?” he cheekily smiled.

It’s not hard to clean. It makes me feel better…not because it’s easier for me because I’m a woman. It’s more like I can get my frustrations out.

Is accounting that stressful?

It has its pressures. I’m also talking about my life. Everybody around me is getting married and having children…I’m always single.

At least your not the only one who’s single. I’ve had bad luck with women.

What kind?” Angela knew she was getting close to the problem. She just needed to figure out an easy approach to the topic.

I was in a complicated relationship. She was hearing, and you probably know how it ended.

What happened?

We always got into arguments. She didn’t realize how difficult it would be for us to be in a relationship. Always the lack of communication.

Is that the reason you set me and Greg up on a date? It would be too complicated if I was attracted to you?

Angela, I didn’t mean to hurt you.

You didn’t.” she was lying. “I understand. I’m tired, I think I’m going to go to bed.

Was it something I said?

No…I just need sleep.” she grabbed the wine glasses and went into the kitchen. She returned and saw Patrick getting up and grabbing his keys.

I guess I will see you sometime.

Same.

Angela felt horrible. She thought his explanation was complete bull and she wanted to prove him wrong that they could work. She paused when she saw Patrick left his jacket on the back of her loveseat. Patrick pressed the button for the elevator and almost wanted to smack his head against the wall. How could he just break her heart like that? He reached his apartment only to see Greg watching a movie.

Hey, you’re back. How did it go?

It was okay….

Okay? Did you even tell her how you felt?

Shit, I forgot my jacket!

I’m sure she will let you get it in the morning…unless you fucked up in some way.

I have to go.” Patrick ran to the elevator hoping she was still awake. Although in the back of his mind he knew she was pretending to be sleepy and did not want to hear what he had to say. Angela had just laid down and she heard the knock. She wanted to murder the poor person who knocked. Then she remembered that Patrick left his jacket. She leapt out of bed and ran to the door.

I forgot my jacket.

I know….” she smiled at him and went to retrieve his jacket. Patrick noticed she did not have that robe on and he saw the red nightgown that was underneath it. He wanted her more than ever. At this point he could care less if she didn’t really know ASL…he wanted her. When Angela returned, she thought he was going to get his jacket. Instead, he pulled her forward and kissed her.

Chapter 7 by tpeezy22

Angela was taken aback by his actions. She was so startled that she dropped the jacket. Patrick was about to pull away when he felt Angela draw her arms around his neck deepening the kiss. Her hands roamed over his chest as he kicked the door shut. His hands loved the soft skin of her shoulders under his palms. He could feel the vibrations of the moans coming from Angela as he moved down to her neck. Her trembling hands fumbled with his dress shirt as she barely could undo the buttons. Patrick lifted the hem of her nightgown up her hips revealing her red cotton panties. Angela stumbled backwards leading Patrick to her bedroom. They collapsed on her bed still trying to remove each other’s clothes. Patrick slid his hand up Angela’s thigh slowly removing her underwear.

Patrick began rubbing the sensitive bud between her legs making her arch into his touch. He could tell she wanted more, so he inserted two fingers into her wet cavern. Her mouth fell into an ‘O’ shape as he pumped his fingers into her. Suddenly, Patrick began lapping at her folds focusing on her clit. Angela held her sheets in a death-grip while she moaned and panted. Patrick could tell she was close, and he plunged his fingers deeper and faster. He felt a hand grip his curly locks as she came burying his face in her mound. She hadn’t even fully recovered when he kissed his way up her body positioning himself between her thighs. Angela fumbled trying to undo Patrick’s jeans and free him of his confines.

Patrick slid into Angela’s heat. She could hear him groan at the sensation. Patrick felt her wet tongue sliding up his neck. Angela quickly gained dominance and flipped them over. Patrick met her thrust for thrust as he kissed her neck. She was surprised when she felt a sharp pain in her neck. Patrick had nipped at her neck. It turned her on even more as moved faster against him. She was close to her second orgasm and Patrick saw Angela arch backward screaming. At that moment, Patrick wished he could be able to hear her moans and screams. They simultaneously reached their peak as Angela trembled. She slid off his length collapsing next to him.

“Wow.” Patrick spoke. Angela had laid next to him. She grabbed her phone and wrote out a text.

So…how long did you wanted to do that?

When I first saw you in the elevator.

You know…you bit my neck.

Sorry….” by this time Patrick had gained his motor skills and could sign. He saw Angela wrote something else.

Don’t be. I never knew you were such a little freak.

Me…you were the one with lover’s dice.

It’s not like I had them with me all the time…blame my friend.

Why should I blame her? I should be thanking her.” Patrick smirked when she looked up at him confused. He leaned in and licked a circle on her shoulder loving the salty taste of her sweat.

You are not fair. So that’s what you were thinking about in the elevator that night..

What were you thinking about?

Hoping you didn’t see the penis-shaped sucker in my hand.

Really? Did it make you think of something else?

Yes.

Angela knew it was bad to communicate like that but she was glad he was not annoyed with it. She laid there next to Patrick not sure of what was next for them. People usually went on a date before sleeping together. Patrick didn’t want to ask the inevitable question of him staying overnight. He wasn’t the “stick ‘em and leave ‘em” guy, but he didn’t know if this just meant no strings attached sex for Angela. He mustered up enough courage to ask if he should leave and she asked him to stay.

The next morning, Angela woke up to find a sleeping Patrick still in her bed. She couldn’t believe they slept together. There was a feeling of her desperately wanting to ask him out not caring what their differences were. Her mind went to the conversation they had when he was first at her apartment.. He was afraid to get his heart broken. Patrick woke up staring into Angela’s lovely eyes.

Hi.

Hi.

The morning after….

Any regrets?

No. You?

Nope.

Do you want me to make breakfast?

It’s okay. Greg is probably wondering where I am.” he was sliding out of the sheets but stopped when he felt Angela tap his shoulder.

I know this is the wrong time to ask, especially after last night, but do you want to date. Maybe get to know each other more?” she bit her lip in anticipation of his response.

As much as my head keep telling me not to, I want you. Do you know what you’re getting yourself into? Are you going to handle the complications?

Yes. I want to be with you.

I’m so sorry for the dinner. I was scared…I just didn’t want it to be like last time.

Patrick, I know it will be difficult, but I’m willing to try. This is not some experiment of fucking the Deaf guy…I really like you, and I hope you feel the same way. Please, let me.” with that said, Patrick made a final decision.

Okay. Let’s do it.

Patrick kissed Angela and pulled away to get dressed. He was nervous about actually dating her. There was the issue with language, but he liked being around her. They had a certain chemistry that he never felt with any other woman, hearing or otherwise. Angela wrapped her sheet around her body as she looking at Patrick’s curls. It was going to be an interesting journey for her and Patrick. She was still in the sheet walking with him out into the living room. He kissed her cheek and waved goodbye. While in the elevator, Patrick couldn’t stop smiling. He knew if Greg was up he was not going to stop messing with him. He opened the door not surprised when Greg was eating cereal.

Morning, sunshine!

Very funny.

Wow, it didn’t know it takes all night just to get your jacket back.

Well, I got my jacket, but then I helped her with ASL. I fell asleep on her loveseat.

Sure you did. Look, I’m not some frat guy getting a hard-on just hearing of his bro’s conquests. Just tell me.

A gentleman never tells.

So, does this mean you and Angela are…dating?

Yes.

Finally, it’s bout time you go over to someone else’s apartment. Now you won’t eat all of the food.

I’m so glad you care about my lovelife.

You’re welcome. Hey, bro, I’m really happy for you. Angela seems decent enough.

I just have to find a place for a date. I haven’t done this in awhile.

How about to one of the basketball games? It’s romantic without being sickly romantic. Plus, if it really doesn’t work out, you don’t have the embarrassment of paying for an expensive meal.

I guess so. I still don’t know how a basketball game is anyway remotely romantic.

Dude, just go with it.

Patrick just smiled and walked to his room. He wanted this relationship or whatever they have to work. Angela was in her apartment lying in bed thinking about last night. She didn’t know what she did to make Patrick react, but she would definitely do it again. It was almost time for Angela to go into work, so she showered and dressed and ate breakfast. Today was going to be a good day at work whether it was true or not. After she ate, there was a text she got a text from Patrick.

Hi, just C-ing hw U were doing. I am not a stalker…rly. I hope this message does not freak U out. I was wondering if U wanted to go to a bsktball game w/ me?

Yes, I would luv 2. Where?

@ the school.

The Deaf school?

Nope, a regular school. j/k, yes the Deaf school.

Sorry. When? What time?

Friday night @ 7.

Ok. 7 it is.

Patrick smiled at the last text From Angela.

Chapter 8 by tpeezy22

Patrick was nervous to be on a date with Angela. First, it has been awhile since he dated. Second, it has been a while since he dated a hearing woman. He stood outside Angela’s door and knocked. He waited in the hall until the door swung open. She looked stunning, but he can tell she was nervous. Hell, he didn’t know if they were wearing the same expression.

They had arrived at the gymnasium of the school. Angela wondered if there were anybody else that was hearing just like her. Patrick escorted her in and saw some of his co-workers waiting in line to get tickets. He casually talked to them and they quickly noticed he brought a date with him. They often asked if she was Deaf and she had to reply that she was hearing. Once they got the tickets, Patrick ushered Angela into the noisy gym.

Are you okay?

Yes.

Want anything?

Not now.

Angela saw the team had cheerleaders. She looked on as the teens had better coordination and skill than most hearing cheerleading squads. The game began with a good start. Patrick kept looking over at Angela to make sure she was comfortable. He asked if she was okay, and she signed an affirmative. He didn’t know if she was saying that to appease him, but he noticed she became engrossed in the game.

I see you are enjoying the game.

I am. Thank you for tonight.

You’re welcome.” the girl’s basketball tournament ended in a twenty-point lead. “Do you want to grab something while we wait for the boy’s game?

Yes.” they both got up and waited in line at the concession stand.

I’m glad they didn’t ask me to volunteer to work the stand tonight.

Poor you.

Oh, you know sarcastic sign language now?” Patrick saw something in the corner of his eye. He escorted Angela out the line and saw two teenage boys hidden in a corner drinking from a soda bottle. “What are you two doing?

Nothing.

Hand it over.

It’s soda!” one teen vigorously signed to Patrick. The other teen gave up and handed the bottle over to him.

When did they make beer soda? I will be informing your parents tonight.” the two boys groaned but stopped when the principal walked over.”

What happened?

I just caught them drinking.” he handed the bottle over to the principal.

In my office! Now!” the principal marched to two boys down the hall and Patrick turned to Angela.

Sorry.

“It’s okay. I think they will be in big trouble.” She had to fingerspell the word ‘trouble’.

So much trouble. It reminds me when me and Greg were their age.

What did you do?

Pranks. Many pranks.

What’s the sign for….” she finger-spelled ‘naughty’. A smirked developed on his face.

Why do you want to know?

I don’t know…maybe you’ll find out tonight.

They returned to the line which grew while he was busting the kids. Angela didn’t know why seeing Patrick in an authoritative role made her turned on. She did wander what kind of sinister things he did with his partner in crime, Greg. She definitely got a preview when they slept together.

After a long wait, they finally reached the line and Patrick ordered some popcorn and sodas for both of them. Angela kept looking at Patrick who was talking to one of the kids working concession. They returned to find the game had already started. Unfortunately, the boys team didn’t have the same luck as the girls. She saw everyone shouting and signing at the same time. The game was over but the boys only lost by six points. Patrick and Angela were waiting for the heavy traffic to die down.

Did you enjoy the game?

Yes. The girl’s team is great.

Boy’s team?

They are good as well. Tonight was not their night.” she didn’t want the night to end just yet. Patrick could tell something was on her mind.

You look like you want to say something.

I was wondering if you wanted to grab a drink.

Sure. Let me just grab the bottle from the principal’s office…I’m joking.

Not funny. I would like to know more about the pranks.

The traffic wasn’t as busy so Patrick wouldn’t be stuck in the parking lot for ten minutes. Before they got in the car, Patrick asked her where they wanted to go. She had no idea and told him to decide. He smirked and knew exactly where to take her. Patrick didn’t think it was a bad date. It was still odd for him to date a hearing person again. Angela was so glad that Patrick was patient with her when she signed. He even was nice in correcting something if she did it wrong. They arrived at a small bar and Angela was curious to what kind of place it was. They entered and she immediately figured out most of the clientele were Deaf. They sat at a table.

What do you think?

Nice. I like it.

Is it too much? That’s not what I meant.

No, it’s fine.” Patrick smiled and looked over and saw a waitress walk over to their table.

What would you two like?

Beer.

Same.” the waitress took their orders and left. “How did you find this place?

Greg told me about it. He noticed whenever we went out, I would be the only Deaf person at the bar. I couldn’t really go dancing because I can’t hear the music…here, I see people like me and hearing people socialize together.

Do hearing people feel like the minority?

Sometimes. Mostly when they first come here. Later, they see it as a chance to communicate or improve their ASL or Signed English.” their beers had arrived. “Someone had told me they still play music here for hearing people and other deaf people who wear cochlea ear-plants and hearing aids.

I did some research. Is it true that if you can’t hear the music…you can feel it?

Yes. When you think about it. Sound is caused by waves. Something as heavy as a drum bass is easy to feel, but a high pitched sound is hard to feel. It’s all science. Any more questions?

Yes. How did you…I cant say it….” Angela could tell Patrick saw her blushing. She debated whether to ask him this question or not.

It’s okay. You haven’t offended me so far.

How did you know I was close…when we…had sex?” Patrick nearly spit out his beer. Angela knew she had crossed the line. Suddenly, she saw Patrick smirk, and she knew he found the question amusing.

That is a good question.

I knew it was weird. Sorry.

Don’t be. It’s a nice question. I knew because…I’m a good lover.

Very funny.

No, my Deafness has enhanced my other senses. It’s like that for someone who can’t see…can’t speak…whatever. I could feel you tensing. Your breath was quicker on my neck….” Angela could tell Patrick was getting turned on. Hell, she felt a certain area tingle as well. She definitely had to change the subject before she fucked him in the booth.

Those kids are in some serious trouble.

What kids?

The ones you caught drinking. That reminds me, you never told me about the pranks you and Greg pulled.

One time, me and Greg tortured his neighbor. We would egg his house, Greg’s dog would take his newspapers, we spelled our names out in the snow in his yard…if you know what I mean….

You two were bad children. Poor man.

The guy was an asshole.

Angela loved how Patrick could easily make her laugh. She felt bad for asking questions like he was some experiment. She’s never dated anyone who was Deaf before. It was a risk to even mention she did research. She knew the question about them having sex was the most juvenile thing she’s ever asked a person. Patrick knew she was just being sincere in her questioning. He thought it was cute that she would find out about his culture. He could tell by her body language, that she treated him like any other guy. An hour or so, they were back at the apartment in front of Angela’s door.

Thank you for tonight.” Angela told Patrick. They both stood there awkwardly not sure what to do. Suddenly, Angela kissed Patrick taking him by surprise. They deepened the kiss as Angela tried to open her door. Once the door opened, she dragged him inside slamming the door shut behind them.

Chapter 9 by tpeezy22

Angela was sitting in the restaurant waiting on her friend, Carmen. She definitely had to tell her what happened between her and Patrick. She smiled as she thought about Patrick. Since the date, they talked to each other often. She even cooked for him. Greg often would make fun of them and call them lovebirds. Angela even gotten to the point where she could carry on a conversation without messing up majority of the signs. To her, it was more than just sex. She was falling for Patrick, but wasn't sure where they stood in the relationship. Carmen finally made it and sat down.

“Sorry I’m late. Lunch traffic is such a bitch. So, you look happy….” Carmen couldn't help but notice Angela's wide grin.

“Whatever do you mean?”

“Come on…spill.”

“I went on a date with Patrick.”

“That’s good. Was he any good in the sack?”

“Do you ever not talk about sex. I swear, you’re almost as bad as men.”

“You had sex with him! That’s a nice ending to a date.”

“We had already had sex before that….” Angela saw Carmen’s shocked expression.

“Wait, when?”

“Um…this is going to be very weird. After I spent the whole day with you, I was winding down with a glass of wine. Well, I was about to…then, Patrick showed up at my door. We talked for a bit. We even talked a little bit about why he set up me and Greg on a date. I didn’t really tell him exactly that I was upset…anyway, Patrick left, but he forgot his jacket. I was going to give it to him the next day or until he realized he forgot. The next thing I know, he was in my apartment and we were having sex.”

“Wow…you bad girl.”

“Shut up. Afterwards, we had this deep conversation about where we stood. I wanted something more than just sex. He asked me out on a date.”

“So, something tells me the date was good.”

“He took me to a basketball game at the school he teaches. At first, I felt weird because I thought I was going to be the only hearing person there. I wasn’t. Patrick was so sweet and patient with me. It was so funny. These two kids actually brought beer in a soda bottle. Luckily, Patrick caught them.”

“Ooh, I bet that was so hot…Patrick being a strong, assertive man.”

“It was. After the game, we grabbed a beer at this bar that a lot of Deaf people frequent. God, I kind of said something stupid.”

“What did you say?”

“I told him that I did research on how the Deaf can feel music. Well, I was curious because when we….”

“Fucked.”

“I was going for a less vulgar word. I noticed he knew I was about to…you know. I remembered seeing something about sound and vibrations…anyway, he told me he knew because he could sense it.”

“That sounds so hot. He must be one lover.”

“Yes.” Angela was grinning ear to ear.

“Oh, I’m so happy for you. And you thought you weren’t going to get a man.”

“I really like Patrick. He’s so funny, and sincere. I don’t have to rely on Greg as much when we talk. I am taking this slow…well, sort of.”

“Hmm…I’m assuming he will be your plus-one for the wedding?”

“I haven’t asked him yet. I mean, we just started going out together. I don’t want to freak out the man with going to a wedding.”

“You are not freaking him out. If it makes you feel better, you can stay as far as hell away from the bouquet. Maybe you can invite his roommate as well.”

“How about me and Patrick take it slow.”

“Fine. I know! How about we have a dinner one night. Me and my love, you and Patrick, maybe I can set Greg up with one of my single friends. A triple date.”

“Hmm...I guess. Just no embarrassing topics, please?”

“Whatever do you mean, Angela?” she smirked at Angela's deadpan glare. “Fine, no sex talk.”

“Carmen, how did you know that your fiancé was the one?”

“I don’t know when. I just know whenever I look at him, I see our future together. I know, dirty Carmen is getting soft, but I think he actually tamed me.”

“Good thing. Well, he almost tamed you. You still have that foul mouth of yours.”

“Whatever! Yeah, you better be glad you have a man that can't hear how much of screamer you are.” just then Carmen eyes grew wide at how offending that remark sounded. “Oh shit, I'm so sorry. That was insensitive...I feel like such a bitch. Really, I said the stupidest thing in the world.”

“Calm down. And I am not a screamer!”

“Sure....”

Carmen noticed the constant smile on Angela's face. It was nice for her to see her in a relationship. Too often Carmen would have to comfort Angela when a date went bad. They continued with their lunch talking about Carmen's wedding and Angela's relationship with Patrick. Angela kept blushing thinking about the amazing sex between the two of them. After lunch, Angela went back to work being thrown back into a busy day.

Patrick had just come home from work carrying ungraded tests. He plopped down on the couch to rest a bit. Today was just like any other work day except something happened during his prep period. He was casually in the teacher's lounge when one of his co-workers mentioned to him about how he walked in on a conversation involving Patrick. Just when he was going to start grading papers, Greg walked in the living room dressed in his scrubs. Patrick assumed it was another night shift again.

Hey. Grading papers?

I was about to.

What's wrong, dude? You look like you lost a huge bet.

Do you think I made a mistake with going in a relationship with Angela?

Why would you say that?

Someone at work mentioned how I'm the teacher's lounge gossip apparently. They think that I'm crazy for dating a hearing person. Not only a hearing person but someone who's not a CODA. Someone who's not that advance in ASL! What kind of bullshit is that?!

Look, I know I brought up a point to Angela about the conflicts of being with a Deaf person, but I see that she really does like you and is willing to learn sign language. I just didn't know her at first but she seems pretty cool to me.

I know, but I can't believe they would say stupid crap like that. They know what it's like to feel alienated from the majority, and now they are doing the same thing to Angela. I love the Deaf community but we sometimes forget that even we can be the bullies.

You just have to ignore them. Don't let a couple of assholes get into your head and ruin what you and Angela have.

I know. But, a lot of things normal couples do we can't. There is no going out dancing, I can't go to a restaurant and have her interpret everything I say to the waiter, I can't even have phone sex unless it's video chat! I really did try to get past the differences, but can this really work? Can a Deaf guy be in a relationship with a hearing woman?

Stop psyching yourself out! Angela doesn't see your Deafness. She sees you. All those people you work with need to mind their own business. I told you this a thousand times. Angela is not your ex! It's time you start believing it.

I guess. I'm just really pissed and confused now. I'm fine.

Bro, it will be fine. Now, if we are done with this episode of Oprah, I'd like to go to work.

Later.

Patrick watched Greg grab his keys and leave. He knew he was trying to cut the conversation with Greg short, but a strong part of him did doubt how the relationship was going to work. It pained him to compare his ex to Angela, but there was reality staring him in the face. They were different. No matter how hard he tried to deny it, he and Angela will always have that wall in between them when it comes to communication. He wondered if he was the wrong party in this situation. Of course he could say to hell with his co-workers and whoever else had a problem with his girlfriend. But he would be lying to himself if he said he didn't care.

This story archived at https://www.valentchamber.com/viewstory.php?sid=1529