Worse Divide by Fatal Mars
Summary:

Daizan has spent most of her life with a chip on her sholder and a dream that she will not be swayed from. Akiyo has spent the last few years escaping his family obligations through travel and attempting to find himself. She hated him immmediatly, he had no morals.


Categories: Original Fiction Characters: None
Classification: General
Genre: Family, Romance, Suspense
Story Status: Active
Pairings: Male/Female
Warnings: Adult Situations, Racism, Sexual Content , Un-betaed , Work in Progress
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 14220 Read: 10072 Published: July 17 2011 Updated: November 17 2014
Story Notes:

Italicized means flashback.

1. Chapter 1 by Fatal Mars

2. Chapter 2 by Fatal Mars

3. Chapter 3 by Fatal Mars

Chapter 1 by Fatal Mars

When they took him away from us I didn't shed a tear. Not one. From a young age I had mastered control over most of my face, except for the lips. People say that your eyes are the windows to your soul, but mine don't give away a thing. My face was twisted into a dark scowl that Darius would chastise me for. He couldn't now. I wish he could. 

Darian cried like a baby. Her body just went limp as they read off the verdict and she fell on top of me. Luckily I had predicted such behavior and was able to grasp her slender body and hug her. She wrapped her arms around me and nestled her head in the crook of my shoulder as her knees gave out. As she cried on my shoulder I could hear her mutter curses and gibberish into my ear. This was typical Darian behavior that was amplified by ten due to the circumstances. I held her close, but I could not tear my eyes away from Darius as they placed the handcuffs on him. I willed him to look into my eyes one more time, he knew that I wouldn't look away, but he didn't dare look back at Darian or I. If he did the mask of indifference he wore would surely fall. 

"Alright girls I think it's time to go." The court appointed social worker said putting her hand on Darian's shoulder. I gave her my meanest glare and dragged Darian away from her offending hand. ‘How dare she interrupt! He's not gone yet!' I thought angrily turning my eyes back to Darius who was shuffling towards a door that would lead him to a place where I could not follow him. 

Sometimes he would cry at night and no one knew, not even Darian. I could hear him in the room that I shared with Darian and I would get up and bring him a cool glass of water from the sink. He would never open his eyes, but he would go back to sleep when I hummed a tune as I rubbed his back.  Sometimes he would even take a sip of the water, but his eyes would never open. We would never talk about it, but I knew he appreciated it. I knew Darius loved me.

He was my big brother and my best friend. 

When the kids at school made fun of the clothes I wore Darius took me shopping so I would stop walking around the apartment with a poked out lip. When I showed up the next day with my new clothes the kids found something else to tease me about, but I didn't care anymore. I had a smile on my face the whole day. My big brother had brought me clothes and that mattered more than their jeers. That's what type of person they were locking away in a prison with men who killed, raped and stole. Darius who had took in his two sisters with different fathers and the same whore of a mother when others wouldn't. Darius that didn't finish college, but every single night he would make time to go over my math homework. Darius who only sold on the side so he could make sure we had hot water. 

My scowl softened as the door closed behind them and people started to shift around in preparation for the next case. One woman reached into her bag and handed me a tissue to give to Darian and nodded her head with a look of sympathy. What was that supposed to do for me? She didn't know that he wasn't guilty and she didn't care! No one cared about the crime that was being committed today. Darius was another black male that wasn't given the chance to do more. He did the best with what he had and even that wasn't enough. It was never enough. My scowl returned.

This time when the social worker walked toward us, I met her eyes with a steely gaze before she could utter any words. In that look we came to an agreement and I made my way toward her dragging Darian with me. What choice did I have? I was an eight year old girl that had lost half of her family in less than an hour.

"Stop crying Darian." I whispered in my older sister's ear and gently took her hands and pushed her up into a standing position. She continued to whimper, but she took the tissue and started to dry her face.  Her other hand still held mine and she looked at me for direction. I gently pulled her towards the social worker that was waiting for us with a gentle smile.  I looked away from her and looked back at the door that had taken Darius to a place where I could not follow.

I only wondered who would hum for Darius in prison.

______________________7 Years Later_________________________

Out of all of the arguments they had I think this one was the worse.  But Darian had another year here so I guess that means it is currently the worse argument at the moment. More would come, I'm sure.

"Why are you doing this?" Darian's light brown eyes seemed impossibly large as she attempted her best ‘doe' eyed look. Darian could be real sweet when she wanted to be so manipulating people came easy to her, but there was a select few that couldn't be fooled. Even though Darian had an amazing body I still believe that people look at her eyes before noticing the rest of her. Her large almond eyes had thick eyelashes and matching beauty marks in the outer corners of both eyes were mesmerizing.

"Everyone's not out to ruin your life Darian. If anything I am trying to provide you with a better one." Ms. Mary's dark brown eyes showed annoyance, but she hadn't raised her voice yet. She had just gotten home from work and still had on her baby blue and cream maid's uniform. She looked tiered, but her mouth was in a stern line that meant she definitely was not backing down. She was a petite thing standing at 5'3 and 120 pounds, but that wouldn't stop her from coming after Darian's 5'8 frame.

"By taking everything away from me! That is better!" So Darian decided to start the yelling, not surprising.

"I am not trying to take everything away from you. There's a better life for us in Washington. There‘s nothing here for you!"

"My life is here. I belong here!" And she starts up the waterworks. So the mascara is not waterproof. Interesting.

"There's nothing good here!" Ms. Mary's voice is getting a tad higher. She could still be pushed a little more I think. 

"Well I am good here!"

"Your grades are horrible how do you expect to get into a good school. You will have to provide for yourself one day!" The breaking point!

"I want to go to cosmetology school so my grades are just fine. I told you that! This is just about LeRon! You don't like me dating him, but you can't keep us apart!" I wondered when LeRon would show up.

"That hoodlum! I'm not going to let that boy ruin you!" Ms. Mary put down her bag and walked closer to Darian till she was directly in front of her. Ms. Mary had never hit us, but today might be the day for new starts. Darian looked down on her with her arms crossed and her pouty lips in a scowl.

"He loves me he has always loved me! When are you going to see it?" 

"You don't know anything about love child. You don't even love yourself parading your goods for that grown man. You should be ashamed."

"I am not ashamed of how I feel!" I let a snort slip out and Ms. Mary glanced back at me. I couldn't make out what the look meant, but I knew had better not make another noise.

"You should be!"

"I will never be ashamed of our love!"

"Love! That is rape and since I love you so much I will save you from the situation that you put yourself in."

"Why do you hate me so much?" 

At this point Mary our foster mother looks over at me and we both sigh simultaneously.

As much as I love Darian she can be a bit of a brat when she sets her mind to it. I had told Mary that we should just start packing and then stuff her in the car. Of course no one listens to me so now Darian is trying to make her escape. With every sentence she managed to get closer to the door and Mary was falling behind due to the height difference. Darian ends up making a run for it. Mary tried to grab her, but she was already out the door and on her way to his house.

Name: LeRon Davis

Age: 25

Hair: Black (Fade)

Eyes: Dark Brown

Like: Darian, Making Money and Video Games

Dislikes: Punk Bitches (His words not mine), Police and Mary

Overall: Bad News

Darian had the misfortune of hitting puberty at a young age, which is something that is prominent among young black females. Before puberty no one had paid attention to her. No one except LeRon.  At the time LeRon was a young man of twenty who should have found better things to do than a thirteen year old girl. But luckily for LeRon puberty hit Darian at the supple age of fourteen and he was the envy of many young men and no longer a pervert, to some people. Now at seventeen Darian was the talk of the town. When they first met he was a lowly drug runner with dreams and boy did Darian love dreams. ‘He only sells to get out of here Daze, just like Darius.' For that comment I didn't talk to her for a whole week. This clown was nothing like Darius with his flashy clothes, cell phones and cars all plural. As far as ‘selling to get out' goes LeRon has managed to become to become a drug handler. Talk about dreams.

Mary had pulled out a pitcher of tea and two glasses. She set one in front of me and poured till the tea almost overflowed... "I forgot the ice." She said somberly and went back to the kitchen. Mary only forgot things when she was sad. 

Mary a forty something year old Ghanaian woman did not know what she was getting into when she adopted us. A bible thumping, no sick days or nonsense type of gal was who we had the pleasure of dealing with daily. Besides all that Mary was really cool and has encouraged me and funded all of my educational endeavors.  Unfortunately Darian had managed to break almost every rule, but she was working on it. She had five rules in her house and that was it.

1. Any 'child' living in her house must be go to school. 

2. No boys are allowed in the house unless Mary was present. 

3. We must attend church every Sunday unless we were sick. (She would be the judge of what sick was) 

4. No after school activities unless Mary approved of them. 

5. No bad language or disrespect. (Same as sick days)

Mary and I got along and she even let me visit Darius on the weekends. But now even I was dreading the move away from Darius and everything I have ever known.  Darian and I had been raised here and even though there were plenty of bad memories there were also good ones. I didn't really care for anything else here, but Darius had become the center and purpose of everything that I do. 

There's not much of a comparison between Miami to Washington. The two cities are on the opposite sides of the spectrum and I definitely didn't enjoy cold weather. I knew that Mary had gotten a job offer to work for the government and that in itself could get us out of the shady neighborhood we lived in, but I couldn't imagine being away from Darius. I always relied on him to be there when everything seemed out of control and there was no one to talk to. I had never really thought about it before, but I didn't try to associate myself with anyone besides Darius, Darian and Mary. Mary knew this so she had us go together to visit him.

After the thirty minute drive there in silence and no phone call from Darian my nerves were on end. I was annoyed at the ten minute check in procedure that they insisted on enforcing. Darius was at the window when I got there and he looked good. Sometimes he didn't look so good.  He looked up and smiled and told me he was happy that I was able to get out of here and do good things. I guess Mary had called ahead. He joked around about me maintaining good grades and not messing with any big headed boys. At that point my lip began to pucker out and I felt a scowl coming on, Darius gave me a weak grin.

"Just thirteen more years baby girl. Maybe less if I keep up the good behavior. That's it and then we‘ll be a family again." He started every conversation with the same phrase, but this time it only managed to annoy me.

"I know. If anyone knows I know. I just can't believe that your taking this so easily Darius. I need you I...."

"Daizan you don't need me girl, in fact you don't need anyone. Even when you were a baby you only tolerated me, because I had the food." He laughed. My scowl deepened. 

"It's not funny. I do need you I just have to be pretend I don‘t. If I didn't I would end up like Darian, stupid as hell over some damn boy. If that happens..."

"Don't talk about your sister like that girl." His eyes were narrowed and I bowed my head like a little girl. I was annoyed that he cut me off, but I also knew he didn't like me saying any negative things about Darian.

"I'm sorry, but it's true! She doesn‘t even come visit you!"

"Maybe some of it is, but I want you to love your sister. She is a piece of you and you are a piece of her and yall need each other. And you know how Darian feels about prisons." He paused for a moment and took a deep breath. "I made some decisions girl and I know you don't like to hear it, but it's true I made my bed baby girl and now I have to lie in it."  My head snapped up and my charcoal eyes filled with fury. 

"That's not true! You didn't have a choice! It's their fault Darius! Not yours!" I cried feeling a sting in my eyes, but I ignored it. I will never blame Darius for what he did so we could survive. He may have damned himself for it, but I sure didn't.

"Regardless I want you to go and don't give Ms. Mary a hard time. That lady is a saint and I know Darian's bad ass has been causing some issues. That girl is a handful. Always the drama queen, she could be actress." He chuckled again with a faraway look in his eye. Darius has always been a dreamer. He would always tell us of his dream to become a writer and then we would move out of the projects and have a better life. Darian loved to hear about his dreams and she would always beg him to tell her a story about something he dreamed up. Even now that girl still had her head in the clouds. She was a dreamer just like Darius. Maybe that's how she ended up with LeRon and his dreaming ass.

I wasn't a dreamer.

"What are you thinking about?" I asked when I grew tired of the glazed look in his hazel eyes,

"How it will be when I get out of here.  Of course you know I'm going to have to live with you at first baby girl. I know you'll be some hot shot judge by then, but I know you'll make some room for your big bro. I am guessing that Darian will have two or three little ones running around the place, it will be nice being an uncle. I always wanted to write a kids book. Just thinking about that reminds me of when you were a baby with your mean self. Who everyone said they had never seen a meaner baby." This time when he chuckled and I joined in. I don't think that I was that mean.
Ms. Mary didn't live to far from our old apartment so I would occasionally run across people from the old neighborhood. Everyone would go on and on about how mean I was if they happened to recognize me, which was very often. I suppose I haven't changed much since I was a baby. I was constantly being reminded by Darian to watch my scowl so I wouldn't have such an ugly face.

‘You have some lips for day's girl and when you make those faces I remember why you don't have a boyfriend.' Then she would turn around and complement my almond shaped eyes with ‘perfectly' arched eyebrows. Bitch. I was a little annoyed with my nose the focal point of my face. While it was cute as a button it had a small brown ‘beauty mark' on the tip that brought unwanted attention to my face. I also liked to claim that I was of the chestnut shade, but lately I've been noticing that I am hovering on butterscotch. I love butterscotch or just candy in general. I wish I had some candy now.

"I won't be able to see you often, but I'll write every day."

"Well I you won't write every day, but I appreciate you girl. You know how to make a brother feel good."

"Lame." I moaned as Darius started up with his chuckles. I guess he made a new friend that he had told me about last week was a comedian. I wondered if you could get put in prison for bad jokes with a slight smile on my face. 

"Whatever that one was pretty good since I'm your brother and all." His eyes focused on me and his gaze became somber. I straitened in my seat and leaned in closer to the so my forehead touched the glass while I held the phone tightly.

"Don't you stop doing what is right. It is who you are Daizan and even though it is hard to be on the strait and narrow, but I know you can do it. Just listen to Ms. Mary and don't listen to Darian. But whatever happens know that Darian and I have your back and we will support you. Don't use me as a reason to fail in Washington. You made it this far on yourself and you'll go the distance." 

"I know I will I just wish..."

"I know baby girl I know." We sat in silence for a few minutes. I always tried to be lighthearted since Darius was so empathetic, but today it was harder. But he was right as usual ad I knew that I could not give up my dreams just because he was not easily accessible. Darius was my dream. I wanted to be a judge after seeing his trail and also other trails of boys from my neighborhood. I was a frequent visitor in the courthouse. I was fascinated by the judges and lawyers that did not seem to care for the people that they should ultimately try and help. Of course not every lawyer and judge was apathetic, but when it came to black males it seemed as if they thought of them as lost causes.  There was so many injustices happening in the community that were left untouched by the men of law. While the head drug dealers that lived in nice houses in good white neighborhoods were free to go about there day unafraid of jail while the lowly peons like my brother were boxed in with no choice but to do their dirty work. 

Sometimes I would try and talk to Darian about it, but the attempted conversation would be ruined when Darian accused me of having a ‘chip' on my shoulder. ‘You can't blame white people for everything.' She would say not understanding the bigger issue. I blamed the whole system of twisted justice that did not count circumstances or lack of opportunities in the codes of law. It was something so big and corrupt that thinking about it would give her a headache.

"I love you Darius."

"Back at cha baby girl."

__________________7 Years Later________________

"All I am saying is that when I smell meat it makes me noxious."

"Really though the walls. Amazing." I knew that she could hear the sarcasm in my voice, but she still maintained her sunny disposition.

"When I go outside yes I can. I am not saying it's you alone, but I do smell it from here. I am going to visit all of our neighbors to have this talk. I hope you don't feel like I am singling you out." 

Name: K (Yes really that's my birth name) Hawkins

Age: 22

Hair: Light Brown (Corkscrew Curls)

Eyes: Hazel

Like: Apple Martini's, Animals and Wii Fit

Dislikes: Meat, Karaoke and Beer

Overall: My closest friend?

K was starting to get on my nerves rather quickly. I'm not usually bothered by the weird issues and things that the girl did, but today I am just in a mood.

"Look K I really don't think that I am going to adjust my meat intake based off of the conversation we are having now. When I cook I will try to remember to put a towel around the door." I said starting to close the door, but to my annoyance she put her hand to block me from doing just that.

"What's wrong Daizan? I really didn't mean to put a damper on your mood." I felt the annoyance drain from me and I felt a little twinge of guilt for my thoughts earlier. K wasn't a bad girl. She was actually the closest thing to a friend I have ever had. She was one of the few girls of color in my pre-law and by few I mean one of four that included myself as well. She was always upbeat and willing to team up with me for a project or just studying. Even though she sometimes appeared to be somewhat of a space cadet she was very passionate about the same things I was passionate about. Mainly the corruptness of the government, but for some different reasons. My goals the rights of certain humans. K's goals, equality for all animals, free love and flowers. Well her goals are probably might be more serious...maybe.

"Sorry K I guess it's just...nothing." I couldn't tell her. I hate when people pity me.

"Please tell me Daizan if not I will worry all night." I didn't doubt that one bit and against my better judgment I told her.

"Today's my birthday. It's just been a lame day." Lame didn't begin to cover the day. For one it was a dreadfully cold day in April and I hadn't dressed appropriately. I had a big test in my criminal justice class that I busted my ass studying for which yielded no fruit. I received at the C- in disgust while admiring the A that K somehow managed to get. And to top it off I didn't get the office job that I wanted so I have to come up with some money elsewhere to pay for my loans.

"Your birthday! Why didn't you tell me! I am taking you out right now!" I cringed, because I figured she would say something like that. K was a person that was easily excitable. She actually reminded me of my older sister. My older sister really annoys me.

"Look K I am tiered and..."

"It's only ten. Look I won't keep you out past one. Besides we only have two classes tomorrow and those are a breeze. I will even take the notes." I had to admit that K did take great notes and my advanced debate class was my easiest class of the year.

"I don't.....what are you doing?" I asked annoyed again as K brushed past me and made her way into my apartment. She headed strait to my room and begrudgingly I closed my door so I could follow her. She was quick on her feet and headed straight for my closet since our rooms had the exact same layout, I was to slow to stop her.

"You don't party much. Hum....you could wear one of my tops....mmm how tall are you again?" I rolled my eyes and pulled out my desk chair so I could relax as she ripped my closet to shreds.

"5'9" I said smiling. I was proud of my height. In high school I had managed to catch the eyes of one of the dance instructors. Being on the dance team was never one of my high priority goals so by my junior year I quit, but I was grateful for how I came into appreciating the height since that made me feel so uncomfortable in middle school. I have clumsy moments, but I must say I do wear might height well. It was also great on my high school resume since I hated real sports. Some would take offense to calling dance a pretend sport, but at my school we hardly stretched let alone worked out in preparation for a performance.

"Not to be rude, but I don't want your boobs stretching out my good tops. We need to take you shopping girl, you dress like you're already a lawyer."

"Got to look the part." I said jokingly, but inside I was a little hurt. I had always thought that I was tasteful and fun with the clothes I picked out.  Turtle necks and sweaters in a variety of colors are fun in my book.

"That you do....ooh...what is this? I like it!" I glanced up to see what she was talking about and I felt a groan coming on. It was a dark denim jumper that Darian had brought me last year for my twentieth birthday. The outfit was scandalous, which was why I had put it the back of my closet. I scowled at the heart shape neckline with thin straps. It had a built in bodice, which had been the only part of the outfit I actually liked. I assumed that it would go to mid-thigh since I had never tried it on and I didn't plan to now.

"No. It's thirty degrees outside."

"You have a jacket and boots. This would look great with some sandals, but....hum...I think I have some boots that could work." She walked up to me and pressed the jumper against me smiling.

"I don't think this is going to work. Maybe something..." I got out my chair brushing her to the side as I rummaged through my closet. Aha!

"This!" I held up a turquoise turtleneck that hugged my figure modestly and some dark denim skinny jeans. I already knew which flats I could pair with the ensemble. An impish smile appeared as I imagined how tasteful I would look in this getup. I scowled at the denim that seemed to shrink every time I looked at it. There's no way I could fit into that maybe I could wear the boot cut jeans.

"That's...safe."

I scowled.

"Seriously Daizan it's a nice outfit... really, but it's your birthday and that's a special day. I think every girl deserves to look beautiful on their birthday and prom...oh and wedding day." Her eyes drifted off into space and I threw visual daggers at her. What was she trying to say? Did she think I looked ugly? The nerve.

As if she read my thoughts K awoke from la la land and gave me a huge smile. "You know your beautiful, but that outfit say's ‘I'm safe' and this one says ‘I'm so bad you want me'" I was deeply disturbed by the deep voice she chose to use.

"Ok." I give up what's the point and no harm could come from going out. I hadn't done it since Darian had came down last year and took me on a shopping spree with her blood money. Yuck! I don't want to think about that.

"Great! Well I am going to go and get dressed. I want you to do the same. I'll be back with the boots." She was so happy it was a little infectious. She proceeded to do the cha cha slide out of my apartment and I broke into a smile. I could definitely be a 'half full' type of person as K put it so tonight I would try to fill the glass. I guess it didn't hurt too much to have a friend. For now.  I decided to take a shower and the whole time I tried to convince myself that I was only doing this to get K off my back. It wasn't working. I wrapped a towel around my face and turned on my flat iron. I wanted to get my hair out of the way before K got back. I knew she would start hounding me about becoming natural, but that wasn't a step I was ready to take.

‘Although I must admit that it looks good on K.' I thought envisioning her light brown curls sprouting out all over her head like a lions mane. ‘To bad my hair wouldn't look like that.' I thought with a bit of envy. K was bi-racial and had the wonderful skin and hair to prove it. When I thought about it I realized that Darian had the same hair and skin. ‘I'm the one who got the bum stick.' Boo.

I un-wrapped my hair and combed it out so it hung loosely around my face. I had to admit that I did have nice hair even if it wasn't natural. My dark silky strands went a little past my shoulder blades. I used my fingers to comb out my left side bang so that it hung besides my eye, but not over it. This is the same look that I had since middle school, but I liked it. I didn't bother with any make up. The only person that would be able to advise me on it was Darian and I wasn't about to call her. Instead I put on some pink tinted lip gloss and glared at the acne spot on the left side of my forehead that I used my hair to cover. Boo again.

Stepping out of the shower I dried off and then lotion my legs. I glanced at the clock and saw that it read 10:30. ‘A few minutes my ass' I thought putting on the jumper. It was a bit snug going over my thighs, but I managed to zip the zipper under my arm pit with minimal effort. I have never been a little girl like Darian, but I think most of my fat went to my best features. Meaning my ass, hips, thighs and boobs. I like my sweets. I'm a thick girl. It panned out that way.

A knock on my door at 11 on the dot signaled K's late arrival, but she looked nice. Her hair was pulled back into a loose high ponytail with small ringlets framing her heart shaped face. She had on dark red pencil skirt with a royal purple V-necked shirt with puffed short sleeved. In her hand she held a mustard yellow clutch. I cringed at the sleeves, but didn't say a word as I put on the heelless boots. At 5'5 K stayed in wedges her heel of choice. She on dark grey ones with a closed toe knot design. Interesting.

"Ok let's go. I checked the website and a live band is playing tonight. Don't know much about the band, but I know the place is going to be packed tonight." A lot of people. Yay. Sarcasm.

"You driving?"  I asked locking my door and hurriedly zipping up my trench coat. She nodded jingling her keys to her ford explorer and I smiled. I liked her car way better than my piece of shit.

"Daizan you are going to have the best night ever! This bar is the best! I actually found it on my birthday and now I am giving the gift to you. That and free drinks courtesy of muah!"  I didn't bother telling her I wasn't a real drinker. I occasionally like a nice white wine to help me fall asleep, but besides that one glass every other night I didn't drink. Telling K this would only result in another challenge and I am clearly failing already at opposing her.

"Thanks a lot." I said surprised at the sincerity in my voice. I didn't do sincerity. She hopped into the driver's seat and smiled.

"Did I mention the band members looked hot?" One track mind.

 

 

End Notes:

This is my first upload of something that isn't fanfiction or supernatural. Please let me know what you think and forgive me for any errors.

Chapter 2 by Fatal Mars

"I think apple martinis could become my favorite drink." Daizan though as she downed her third drink that K had brought her. She had a nice buzz and was not annoyed by the loud rock that was blasting through the clubs multiple speakers. K had failed to mention that the band was a rock band and at first she had been outraged, but now she could care less. The club was nice and the drinks were good and it was her birthday after all. Even though she was seated in a booth, she could still feel the energy and vibe that moved though the huddled masses on the dance floor.

Of course K had made a spectacle of herself by insisting on announcing Daizan's birthday to everyone at the club. To add to Daizan's embarrassment the DJ focused the spotlight on her while the crowd sang happy birthday to her. They were also offered a booth, which was a perk she rather enjoyed. Luckily for them a pair of lesbians offered to buy them a round. Daizan's immediate response was to refuse, but K had insisted that she was joking so all four of them shared a round of shots.

Like a true beginner Daizan's face puckered as if she was sucking on a lemon much to the amusement of her party. The four of them talked for a while about politics and another round of drinks came, but this time K had opted to pay and got everyone apple martini's. Daizan didn't bother arguing with K and drank her apple martini. It was better than the shot, but she still didn't like the slight burn in her throat once the alcohol made its way down. After three more rounds she didn't mind the burn so much and a new topic was picked so Daizan decided to the bar and get everyone another martini. Talking about sex just wasn't polite conversation after the first hour of getting to know someone.

"Be right back." Daizan said, but the group merely waved her off. Even though she didn't have much insight when it came to socializing Daizan knew it wouldn't have really mattered anyway. K was obviously the one the lesbians were interested in and she was just a stepping stone to her. She knew K did not exclusively date men and the way the lesbian couple eyed her made Daizan feel a little left out. Not wanting to dwell on her loneliness' that seemed more horrible than usual Daizan made her way to the bar which was surprisingly clear. Since she hadn't been the focus of attention for the lesbians in the first place and K was wasted no one tried to stop her.

"What can I get you birthday girl?" A mocha colored man asked her leaning over the bar so he could get a closer look at her. While he blatantly observed Daizan she took in her fill of him as well. He was tall about 6'3 if not more, which was great for her tall height. His eyes were dark brown and his lips were full, moist and smiling. His hair was dreaded, which was a plus since he kept it neat and in a ponytail that hung at the nape of his neck. A few locks were placed behind his ear that had at least a dozen small studs in each ear. She also noticed a piercing on his bottom lip, a tiny stud in his small nose and two small buds pressed tight against his black dress shirt. Daizan took a step back and cringed at the thought of getting a piercing through her nipples. Maybe he wasn't her type after all.

"Another round of apple martini's." Daizan said not bothering to look him in the eyes since she was feeling a bit self-conscious now. It wasn't like her to ogle a man like...K. That girl was a very bad influence.

"One with an extra dash of apple?"

"What?" Daizan asked confused by why he would want to add extra apple to one of the drinks instead of all of them.

"The lady that was ordering the drinks before you asked for one to have a little bit more sweetness to it. Now that I'm looking at you I can guess who it was for." He chuckled as he started pouring the drinks.

‘No wonder I haven't been falling out.' Daizan thought as she looked back at K who had her head thrown back laughing at something the lesbian couple had just said. She knew that she must be feeling the alcohol since she would get overly animated as a sign of her impending meltdown of tears and frequent trips to the bathroom.

"Okay we'll just keep it that way."

"Smart girl." Daizan smiled at him and moved to a bar stool. Under normal circumstances she would not blatantly flirt with a man, but today was her birthday and she had no intentions of ever seeing him again.

"What's your name?" She asked bending over the counter so she could watch him cut some slices off an apple.

"Marek. And you are Daze. That's an interesting name." He continued to mix the martinis slowly as he focused his eyes on her. They were almost rectangular and shape and when he smiled they almost disappeared.

"Daizan is my real name. Daze is just a nickname."

"Well Daze your friend K was telling me a few things about you and one of the most prominent tid-bits is the fact that you're looking for a job." Marek said putting all of the martini's on a tray and pushed them toward her from the counter top.

Daizan didn't voice it, but she was annoyed at the fact that Daizan felt the need to play mother. She didn't remember telling her about needing a job, but prostitution was definitely not what she was looking into. Daizan didn't know much about her mother, but she knew besides being a drug addict she also sold her body as well. And that's how she came into the world a bastard. Darius had said before she was on drugs she looked just like Darian and if that was the case she must have been a beautiful woman. Just thinking about the whole situation had her blood boiling.

Marek noticed the sour look on her face and chuckled again. Maybe it was a nervous habit or he might have been genuinely amused, but right now he was annoying Daizan

"Not that kind of job."

"Then what kind of job is it?" Daizan asked with malice in her voice. Marik sat the drinks on the table and put a hand on his chest in a mock gesture that he was offended. Daizan rolled her eyes.

"I was thinking that a beautiful girl like yourself would be an excellent bartender."

"What? A bartender? You need a license with that." With every word Daizan said she became more and more disappointed with the situation. Being a bartender would be ideal with her going to school in the day, but she was a future lawyer and knew that alcohol involved permits and licenses.

"I could teach you here before you start work. Look I'm desperate here." Marik said as he grasped his hand together and bowed his head before her.

"Why me?" Daizan asked knowing she should just say yes, but it just didn't seem right to her. She didn't fit in at all with the crowd and she was hardly the socialite. Hell, she couldn't even tolerate hard alcohol.

"Honestly I like you in a very platonic way mind you. Also I am co-owner and you definitely fit the image of what I want this club to be." Marek said with a kind smile on his face.

"And what is that?"

"Diverse! I rarely get any ethnicity in here besides white people and while I do like the eye candy I also had dreams when I opened up this club. When I was a kid I was an anomaly in the south club scene. I loved rock music just as much as I love hip hop, but there was no club that could cater to my needs. One night I was with the Hispanics doing the samba and the next I with the Islanders dancing to soca. I wanted a place where all of my music taste could be combined and I could meet people that were different and unique like me."

"O...k." Daizan said stunned at the heartfelt speech Marek had just given her. Even though it was very corny and he was definitely more animated than K, which annoyed her a little. He had ambitions, which was better than a dream since he had made it happen.

"...And I have no black people on staff besides myself and I get lonely." He muttered looking off into the distance.

"Well that makes a little more sense."

"Yeah affirmative action is a bitch." Marek said chuckling and she laughed a little as well. Maybe she should have been offended, but he was getting under her skin. Whether that was a good or bad thing has yet to be decided, but that was how things started off with K.

"Ok."

"Ok as in you agree with me or as ok you will work for me."

"Both." Daizan said giving him a small closed mouth smile. Marek was beaming down at her and looked like he was about to break out into song and dance. Thankful the rock band had stopped for the night and an upbeat hip hop song came on. Daizan could see herself working here and enjoying the music...half the time.

"Thanks so much Daze I guess I will see you tomorrow if you're not too hung over. And if your hung over we have a problem, because you've barely had shit to drink. Come by around six and I'll give you a crash course in what you will be doing."

"I'll see you then." Daizan said holding out her hand for a handshake, but instead Marek handed her the tray with the drinks on it.

 "Here take these over to your table." Marek said turning away from her and heading back to the bar. This time Daizan smiled brightly since no one was looking. Today had went from horrible to terrific in a matter of hours. She would have to thank K for taking her out. She shifted the tray so that it would lean slightly on her shoulder and started for her table, but was stopped in her tracks by one of the most striking men she had ever seen.

Her first thought was that he was gay. The lesbian couple was nowhere in sight so he was seated next to K and across from him was another man, but she could only see the back of his head. His dark grey eyes never completely focused on K and were constantly scanning the room. ‘Probably for hot guys'

Daizan chuckled, which made her tray rattle and this caused his wondering eyes to focus on her. She noticed that those eyes had a hints of brown in it. She had never seen that before.

K was still oblivious to her presence and was bursting at the seams with her charm. K's idea of fun was meeting as many people as possible and having a good time. Daizan didn't like thinking of K as promiscuous, but the girl definitely had her fill of sex. Daizan knew this from the thumps of her headboard against the wall at night and the muffled moans. Next time K came to complain about smelling meat she would have to remember to remind her about that.

‘This is having fun? About as much fun as a hole in the head.' she thought giving grey eyes one of her infamous smiles. By smile she meant her least hostile scowl. She figured that he must be a part of the band that was playing earlier due to the people looking at him in awe, but luckily their seats were elevated and away from grabby hands thanks the VIP booth. But even as a rock star he was a hard man to ignore with his David Bowie-esk makeup.

A man that looked better than her in makeup.

Scratch that, better than her period.

Besides the beautiful slanted eyes that were lined in...black eyeliner....the rest of his face was equally pointed and perfect. His lips were plump and appeared to be in a permanent pout, because the bottom was bigger than the top. ‘There's no annoying mole on his nose' she seethed. Nope it was small and pointed. His ears were even pointed at the tips and had two identical industrial piercing that seemed to be made from some black stone. Daizan figured that he was probably tall and weighed...less...than her. She assumed that he would be the 'male' in his relationship due to his muscular figure and large hands, but then she could also be wrong. His outfit screamed otherwise, with at silver studded black vest and tight leather pants that could barely be seen since they were so low on his hips. Daizan decided to stop glaring at him and sat the drinks on the table and taking a seat across from K and as far away from mystery man's friend as possible. She was embarrassed and upset at the fact that she even found him remotely attractive.

"Hey Daze these are..." K started, but she was cut off.

"Would you like me to sing you a song?" He asked giving her a slight smirk. Daizan stared at him for a moment blinking her eyes slowly trying to recall what he just said. Hopefully he would blame her late response on the loud music.

"No thank y..." Daizan said politely giving him a small closed mouth smile.

"Why?" He asked barely giving her time to finish her refusal. K looked on, but didn't say anything much to Daizan's surprise. He had interrupted her mid-sentence, which she knew from practice annoyed the girl immensely. Daizan gave her an inquisitive look, but the girl was making small talk to the guy next to her.

"I don't like being the center of attention." Daizan replied easily. It was an honest answer, which wasn't something that she often gave out. Usually she oozed sarcasm, but right now his crazy eyes were having a weird effect on her. It was as if he could see into her thoughts, which annoyed her even more since people often said she was so easy to read.

"It would be so awesome Daze!" K said in hopes of bringing the attention back to herself. Daizan looked over at her with a pained expression, but K ignored it. K liked pushing Daizan to do things that she wouldn't normally do. The brunette had managed to get her to the club and she did look like she had enjoyed her talk with the bartender. She would have to remember to ask her about that later on.

"I could just do it. I could just go ahead and sing and you couldn't stop me." He dropped the smile from his face and stared at her blankly. To Daizan it felt as if he had a lot of practice at being blank and that annoyed her. It was nearly impossible for her to keep the emotions off of his face, but he did it so effortlessly. She took a couple of large gulps from her martini to calm herself down.

"That would only annoy me Mr.?" She didn't really want to know his name, but K would reprimand her for calling him asshole.

"Akiyo"

"Mr. Akiyo I have no intentions of being serenaded. I actually have to go since I have class in the morning. You see I am a student and as a devoted student I must attend class. I am pretty sure a rock star such as yourself would not know of such a thing as commitment. About as much as K doesn't know how to look at a clock." Daizan said putting down her empty glass and giving Akiyo her meanest scowl. She was pretty sure that she was drunk since that was the most that she had spoken to a stranger. Usually she ignored people or utilized her infamous scowl, but at the moment she couldn't stop running her mouth.

"How would you know what I've done with my life?" Akiyo was surprisingly offended by what she just said. Maybe he wouldn't be if it was coming from someone that wasn't in a bar getting wasted. When he saw her walk over he had seen the look in her eyes. It was mixture of lust that he was sure she was unaware of and the rest of it was anger. He doubted that she had known she was displaying either emotion, but he had seen anger and lust directed at him most of the time, but never together. For her the lust he could understand, but he didn't know why she was angry with him. She didn't even know him.

"Look at you. If it wasn't true why are you so mad?" Daizan felt a slow cat like grin make its way to her face. She was aware that she was picking a fight, but she was angry. She was always so angry and guys like him brought out her anger in its rawest form. She could read him like a book and knew he was privileged. Even as he stared at her blankly, his eyes looked at her knowingly as if he really knew her. It made her sick that someone like him could know anything about her or assume to. She had received knowing looks most of her life her life and she hated it. No one had the right to assume to know her, because they didn't know shit.

"Why are you so angry?" Akiyo asked even though he knew it would just upset her. Part of him knew she was irritated, but he didn't stop himself from trying to annoy her. Most people didn't like him due to his nonchalant attitude and smart mouth, but Akiyo could care less. How people felt about him didn't usually bother him, but tonight this girl had struck a nerve. His reaction had probably worsened due to him talking to his father today. He hated when people looked down on him.

"Maybe I'm angry at the fact that you are contemplating doing something that I don't want. What gives you the right to make decisions for me?" Daizan said knowing that this argument had gone past some stupid song. This was the fight that blacks and whites have participated in for a long time. And even though Akiyo wasn't fully white he definitely had the air of someone who had grown up with the privilege of being so. It was like a stink of entitlement he carried and Daizan was onto him. She felt herself sliding toward him and the thought of being even closer to him excited her.

K wanted to jump in, because she knew how Daizan could be when she got riled up on one of her crusade. K knew that she wasn't completely racist, but she was angry at everything especially if it involved white people. At first K hadn't bothered talking to her since she hated half of what K was, but as she listened to her rants she saw some truth in it as well as hurt. Daizan tried to hide her emotions, but most often she failed, much to her own dismay. K knew that Akiyo had qualities K wouldn't like, which was why she had decided to let her have Akiyo's friend Ricio since he was Colombian and possessed no threat to Daizan's mindset.

Unfortunately Akiyo had no interest in her and had immediately latched on to Daizan as soon as she sat down. As she watched Daizan inch toward him a feeling of dread seized her. The fighting could get them thrown out, but Ricio had held up his hand when she tried to interject. He smiled reassuringly at K and she was instant butter. K was more attracted to him so she smiled coyly at him while he watched the pair with interest.

"I am not making a decision for you I am merely acting on my own will. Someone like you could hardly have anyone act on your behalf."

"Someone like me?" Daizan asked tilting her head to the side as she contemplated what he said. Part of her wanted to stop and walk away giving her the satisfaction of having the last word, but the other part of her wanted to know what he meant.

"What do you want me to say? Should I appease your racist tones?" Akiyo leaned across the table so that he was looking Daizan directly in the eye.

"Say what you mean." Daizan said boldly hearing a gasp from K who didn't care much for arguing. K knew Daizan was trumped up on some liquid courage, but Akiyo wasn't backing down. Ricio did say he had a temper, which worried her even more.

"Well since you want it so bad I guess someone like you would be a lot like a group of you. A group of angry black girls that have a grudge with the world when people don't bow down before them. When you are actually uneducated and underserving of respect." Akiyo said dropping his mask of indifference and smiling at Daizan evilly.

She had figured he would say something like that, but it still hurt her that he had said it. She hated being compared to the mass stereotype of black girls. She hadn't come so far to let someone like him get over on her. She pushed herself forward till she was right in Akiyo's face.

"Undeserving, huh? You wouldn't know a thing about it? What are you some sad little playboy who is burning through daddy's money so fast that he sings stupid little songs to get by? You haven‘t worked for anything and your worth even less than that." Daizan growled leaning in closer and sporting her own evil smile. She wanted to see his perfect mask shatter before her.

"Oh shit." Ricio muttered knowing her comment had hit close to home for Akiyo. Even though Akiyo rarely talked about his parents Ricio knew that was the root of all of his issues.

"Oh and did I forget that you also have a mommy complex to make up for your broken childhood so no girl will ever do, which is why you've resorted to men..." Daizan was cut off from her rant by Akiyo grabbing her chin suddenly and shaking her so roughly that she fell against the table.

"Shit Aki don't do that!"

"Let her go!"      

Daizan had only been scared a handful of times and she would have to add this time as one of them. She didn't know what to do besides look into Akiyo's cold gray eyes. She had probably touched a nerve, but she really had just been talking out her ass. The story she had thrown together was some cliché that was rooted from some soaps and her psychology class. She could try to explain that to Akiyo, but how he was looking at her at the moment didn't exactly scream that he was ready for sharing time. The mask had shattered and he wasn't happy. She had never been able to read people that well, which had come to bite her in the ass right now, but looking at Akiyo she figured there were very few people who could read him.

Akiyo was furious with her and had did something he had promised himself he would never do. He didn't want to be like his father who had constantly attacked his mother, but he couldn't let her go. Even now he could tell she was scared, but still so damn defiant. He wanted to shake some sense into her and let her know you couldn't fuck with people like that. He pushed her back into her seat before Ricio could grab him.

"Fuck you." Daizan yelled sliding out of the table and ran for the exit. K got up and quickly went after her. Ricio slowly rose and gave Akiyo a disapproving look.

"Go apologize before that girl calls the police." Ricio demanded, before turning to leisurely walk after the girls.

Akiyo slid out of the table and followed after the group, ignoring the crowd that had gathered after his spectacle. He had no intentions of apologizing to the girl, but he would at least say something to appease Ricio. Akiyo had been pushed and he was mad at himself, Ricio and Daizan for letting it get that far. There were people talking all around him, but he managed to shove his way out of the club without getting stopped.

When he made it outside K was yelling for Daizan to put on her coat and Ricio was nowhere to be seen. Up ahead he could spot Daizan walking with her arms around her and her shoulders shaking. He didn't know if she was crying or not, but he did feel bad so he ran after her.

K moved to the side just as Akiyo ran around her to get to Daizan. She wanted to tell him to stop, but her feet were killing her and she didn't think he wanted to fight with Daizan.

He slowed down once he was directly behind her, but she didn't notice. He was a few inches taller than her standing at a solid 6'1 and from his angle he could tell that she wasn't crying much to his relief. He hated when women and children started to cry. It reminded him to much of his childhood.

"You shouldn't have said those things." Akiyo said causing Daizan to jump. She had been so focused on getting to K's car that she hadn't noticed anyone behind her. The last thing she wanted was to deal with him again. She thought about ignoring him, but then she remembered the embarrassment and anger she felt her thinking changed.

"Didn't I tell you to fuck off or wait did you come back to finish the job." Daizan whirled around with her fist up ready for a fight. Her brother had taught her how to defend herself and this time she was ready for him.

Akiyo couldn't help but laugh at Daizan. He had studied martial arts, kick boxing and even a little capoeira recently. His laughter only irritated Daizan more, but she didn't move in on him.

"I didn't come back here to fight you."

"What did you come back here for?" Daizan asked looking up at him with a guarded expression. Akiyo still felt a little bad, but he was glad he had knocked her down a peg.

At that moment Ricio pulled up in his electric blue ford mustang. Daizan noticed them pull up before Akiyo noticed and frowned at K who was waving from the passenger's side.

 

"To offer you a lift."

End Notes:

It took me awhile to figure out what direction I wanted to take. This actually started out as a drunken hook up, but I changed it. I decided to make Daizan a little racist since alot of interacial fiction I read either has the guy, the guy's family, the girl's family or society as haters, I know that sometimes I make racist comments that aren't meant to cause harm, but they do and thats what I wanted Daizan to convey. You will learn a little more about Akiyo, but not much I like his arrogance that makes you dislike him a little. 

Chapter 3 by Fatal Mars

"Never again."

"But you didn't..."

"Never again."

"Daizan that's so rude could I just..."

"Never again."

"..."

"You finished?"

"No obviously I am not I didn't get to..."

"Never again."

"..."

"Finished now?"

"...Yes."

"Ok that's great then we can talk about what I should wear for my first night at work. I was thinking about that turtle neck that I showed you the other night in lavender. I personally don't see many black women in lavender, but I think I look rather lovely. Don't you?"

"..."

"This is when you can say something besides yes." Daizan said turning her chair around so she could face K. They were working on a presentation for class in the computer lab. When K arrived to meet up with Daizan she was listening to music and any attempts K made to pry her away from the music were unsuccessful. K knew she was annoyed with how the night had turned out, but she didn't think she was going to lose a friend over it. She decided to try and wait till Daizan wanted to talk to her, but after 10 minutes she grew frustrated and decided to say something.

"Daizan can I please just say some things pretty please and you just have to let me say it no interruptions?"

"No" K had Daizan's full attention, which gave her access to her glare. K would usually back down since she was never one to tempt fate, but she had to get her thoughts off her chest.

"Daizan I am going to say this and you can hate me, but I have to say it." K put her hands in front her face in preparation for a backlash that never came. When she uncovered her face Daizan was still giving her a glare, but she wasn't saying anything. "Alright, thank you Daizan I will make this quick. First off I will say that I do not condone anything Akiyo did to you in the club. No man should put his hands on a woman ever. That being said I don't think you should be mad at me for letting them take us home. I know I was not supposed to drink, but I did and I value our lives so I asked Ricio to take us home. So in the end we are the victors, because we are alive and that's all that matters. So I will apologize for drinking, but I won't apologize for saving our lives." K finished and took a seat beside Daizan and proceeded to work on the report.

Daizan just looked at her with shock and mild amusement. Even though the speech has a melodramatic flair she did have to admit that K was right and if they had decided to drive who knows where they would be today. She just couldn't bare the fact that she had to ride with that asshole and listen to him completely ignore her the entire ride and talk about his stupid band. To be honest she wasn't really upset with K. Granted the girl could have called a friend or a cab to take them home, that wasn't what upset her so much. What made her mad was the fact that she had gotten so upset over Akiyo's actions.

Over the years Daizan had built up a wall where she was able to deflect things she deemed negative and go about her business. In high school she had managed to get by without friends and many social interactions, because of the wall she had built up. She never really thought much about the past, because her goals were never oriented in the past, but Akiyo had her thinking about the past.

"So do you want to drive to work with me?" Daizan asked K who turned and gave her a confused look.

"Where's work? I didn't know you had a job!" K said smiling happily for her. She didn't know much about Daizan's past, but she knew that she was constantly under financial constraints. Her confusion came from not knowing how she scored a job so quickly.

"Remember Marek the bartender?" Daizan asked sighing only when K gave her a shrug. She didn't seem to be that drunk last night. "Anyways you were running your mouth to him about how I needed a job and he offered me one as a bartender."

"OMG'S" K squealed clapping excitedly causing some library patrons to turn and stare at her, but it didn't seem to detour her.

"Indeed." Daizan replied with an impish grin. Even though her mind was still reeling from last night she did not regret it. She had done her homework on bartending before K came and it looked like a very lucrative business.

"I will so go with! But I think we should head to my apartment and change. You definitely won't get any tips wearing that." K pointed at her lime green turtle neck with a look of disgust. "I will even be some kind as to give you some shirts to stretch out as an apology for last night.

Daizan was not at all pleased with K talking about her wardrobe, but she knew that skanking it up was profitable in the bartending business. She had also learned that she bounced back quickly from being drunk. This also led to her learning that K did not since she had not been to any of her morning classes and she hadn't bothered to put on any make up. ‘I've never even seen her without any makeup on.'

With that being said they gathered up their belongings and headed to Daizan's car. The drive to the apartment was uneventful and consisted of K talking about her mother who was coming up for a visit. From the conversation Daizan learned that K's mother was French and worked as an interpreter for hire. K's parents were divorced and apparently her mother had not spent a lot of time with her during her developmental years. This is what supposedly led to K's promiscuous ways an adult, in K's opinion. All in all it was a whole bunch of TMI in Daizan's opinion.

When they arrived at the apartment complex K jumped out the car and started to sprint up the steps to her fourth floor apartment. Daizan cringed at the thought of running up those monstrous steps. Last year she had made that mistake and had a scar on her left knee to remind her. She firmly believed that clumsy people like herself had no business running up flights of stairs.

She walked up to her third floor apartment and almost tripped when she got inside. On the floor was a pile of mail for her. Normally she didn't receive so much mail, but her birthday was yesterday so she knew she would get a couple of gifts. The first one she opened was from Mary and it brought a smile to her face. Yet another sewn item, but this time it was a blanket. In the previous years she had received a scarf, gloves and a hat. The blanket was the biggest one yet and Daizan felt grateful to have it knowing that Mary suffered from chronic arthritis. She had called yesterday, but Daizan had been in such a foul mood she hadn't bothered to call back. Now that she had a job she decided that she would give her adopted mom a call on the weekend.

The next gift was from Darian and Leroy much to Daizan's dismay. Opening the small envelope she found a card, $1000 in cash, and a plane ticket for her to come visit them in Florida some in June. ‘How presumptuous' Daizan thought as she moved onto the next letter, which was from her brother. She opened the letter, but she didn't read the card. Darius' words were sacred to her and she couldn't bear to read them unless she had time to read the card at least 10 times. Each year for her birthday her brother always sent her a longer than usual letter that contained a story. Daizan still talked to her brother, but going to see was something she hadn't done in two years. She looked back at the ticket from Darian and begrudgingly put it into her wallet.

After putting away her mail she went back into her room and started searching through her closet for something to wear. This time she searched making sure she kept in mind things K would like. In the end Daizan came up with four things: fitted distressed style leggings, a charcoal colored tube skirt, a simple yellow shirt that had a plunging V-neck and some closed toe black pumps. She put all the clothes in a bag, grabbed her purse and headed for K's apartment.

She didn't bother knocking on the door since K usually left it unlocked, which was unsafe, but she didn't really care since they lived in a gated community. When Daizan go inside she was greeted with K's backside as she rummaged through a bag looking for something. This wouldn't have bothered her if it K had been dressed. Daze coughed politely and K stood up and faced her.

"What did you bring?" K asked grabbing Daizan's bag and rummaging though it ignoring her gasping mouth. Much to Daizan's horrified dismay K was beautiful even sporting a blondish bush.

"Damn K could you put on some clothes?" Daizan asked looking toward the ceiling in an attempt to get the vision of her friends' nude body out of her head.

"This is how we came into the world, you shouldn't be embarrassed by it." K laughed going into her room. Daizan waited a couple of minutes before following and was now treated with the sight of K in an aqua bra and thong matching set.

"Thanks. Now what do you think of the clothes?"

"Much better! I think you can wear the jeans and the shirt for tonight and I have some purple wedges that will go with the shirt." K commented as she turned toward her closet in an attempt to locate the shoes. 

Daze grinned impishly at the success of her clothes and grabbed the bag as she went into K's bathroom to change. When she came back K was dressed and the wedges were on the floor beside her. She was wearing a dark red sheath dress that had short sleeves and a slit up the front that stopped mid-thigh. Today her hair was free and she was in the process of applying make-up. Daze grabbed a bottle of lotion and livened up her skin before putting the wedges on and securing the strap around her ankle.

"You know this is the most time we have ever spent together? If I didn't know better I would think you enjoyed my company." K said sticking her tongue out at Daizan. This caused her to snort and stick her tongue out at K blowing her a raspberry. K giggled as she turned to apply some eyeliner to her eyes.  Daze decided that she would watch and try and learn a little bit about make-up from K and she even applied some eyeliner to her own eyes. K was impressed she said so.

"Alright let's go"

"You're a natural" Marek cheered as he assisted Daze with a table order. She had arrived at 6 and was greeted by Marek who was outside having a smoke break. He took her by her hand and introduced her to her new co-workers. Daze was horrible with names, but managed to remember Dominik, who was Marek's co-owner.

 Name: Dominik Leonia

Age: 40sih

Hair: Black (slicked back)

Eyes: Cobalt Blue

Like: Working, Art and Watches

Dislikes: Laziness, Fish and Red-Heads

Overall: Undecided

Most of her tour had consisted of her sitting and chatting with Dominik and Marek in their office that overlooked the club. Dominik was a sharply dressed man who was very handsome and charming, but Daze got the feeling he could be the opposite if he wanted to be. K was in the kitchen where they had left her waiting on some food. On top of being a well-known club, her workplace also doubled as a restaurant until 9. Marek went over a couple of signature drinks with her, which K sampled thoroughly. After an hour of practice he had announced Dominik was here and he wanted to meet her.

When she walked up the steps she wasn't sure who she thought she would be meeting, but she wasn't expecting someone like Dominik. As soon as she came through the door he came towards her and ignored her offered hand and brought her in for a hug. It wasn't long enough to make her think he was a complete creep, but it definitely made her blood boil and not in an angry way, which she found very confusing. Dominik's eyes bore into her and they were filled with passion. She could tell that he was a very dominant personality. Throughout their entire interaction Marek stood beside the door observing them, but not interfering.

"And here I thought Marek would bring us another pretty boy. I must commend m friend for doing such a good job. You will be a perfect edition to our little family." He said taking her hand in his and bringing it to his lips. Daze smiled sheepishly and nodded her head. This situation was leaving her flustered and uncomfortable. "If you have any problems don't hesitate to come to me. I tend to be the enforcer while Marek is more of the pacifier."

"Puh-lease Dom we know that's not true." Marek said chuckling as he sat on the couch in front of the desk and patted the spot next to him. Daizan slowly removed her hand from Dominik's and sat next to him. At first she was a bit uncomfortable talking to them, but as they continued to ask about her interest and spoke of their goals she became more and more comfortable. A lot of her comfort came from Marek more so than Dom who hadn't taken his eyes off of her since she came in the room. Daze told them about her life in the briefest way possible and they seemed interested to know even more. She had to deter them with questions of their meeting and the creation of club Luna. In the end she found out that Marek was Dominik's godson and Luna was initially just a restaurant until three years ago. She was surprised to find out that they both were born in Italy and they had come to America 9 years ago.

"Well Daizan I look forward to seeing you in my lovely establishment." Was Dominik's parting words as she returned downstairs to start her job officially. Marek seemed amused by the entire interaction, but didn't say anything about it.

By midnight the club was packed and Daizan had at least $200 in tips. Daizan was grateful to Marek for his help at the bar, which was divided into 4 sections. Each section had its own alcohols that were identical to the other three as well as its own bartender. With Marek helping Daizan he made it five bartenders instead of four and she could definitely see why they needed another one. On top of Marek's duties as bartender he would be stopped occasionally by a hostess, cook or bouncer where he would have to run off and do things. When this happened Daze could feel the pressure on her to keep up the pace and get her drinks out as well as engage the customers. At first she was fumbling and some of her customers would move to other sections, but by 2 am she had a hang on it. K spent her time split between the bar and dancing. Marek gave her permission to give K free drinks, much to Daizan's dismay. So far only one of K's drinks were technically free due to the fact men and women insisted on buying her drinks. Marek had told her that it was impolite to refuse them so he cautioned her to instead give herself a shot of water to appease them. This worked out great since they would leave her an even bigger tip if she drank with them.

"Could I have a rum and coke please Daizan?" A familiar voice asked. Instead of looking up to see who requested the item Daze went ahead and made it thinking it was one of her fellow employee's. When she went to hand the drink off her eyes connected with one of the last people she wanted to see.

"You." She said with disgust evident in her voice. This time Akiyo was wearing a black tank tip and he had decided to forgo the eyeliner. His hand was touching the other side of the class and his fingertips grazed her making her shiver uncomfortably.

"So you work here now, what a treat." He said taking a sip of the drink and looking intently at her with a bright smile. Daze frowned at him. ‘Has this fool lost his mind? Acting like were friends.' Daze thought as she decided to ignore him and help other customers on the opposite side of the bar.

Daizan once again got lost in the flow of working and for five minutes she did it successfully until she returned to the side of the bar where Akiyo was. He still had the same smile on his face and he held out his empty glass for her to take. Before Daizan could get her hand around the glass Akiyo grabbed her wrist and pulled her closer to him. The glass clattered onto the table as Daze was pulled till she was inches from Akiyo's face. In that instant she froze not really knowing what his intentions were until she was too late. His free hand snaked around her neck and pulled her in close enough so his lips could ghost hers. His lips then trailed up her cheek and then he finally planted a chaste kiss on her nose before whispering, "You have the cutest nose, I have been thinking about it all day."

As soon as he spoke he broke the spell that had been holding Daizan's body still and she pulled away. Akiyo still had that stupid grin on his face even while she rubbed her nose with her hand, before offering him her middle finger. On the opposite side of the bar she heard a laugh and turned to see Marek who had witnessed the entire event unfold.

"Don't tell me you're going to pretend like that didn't happen?" He asked as Daze proceeded to take more orders.

"Just so you know I don't know that man and you should throw him out for harassment." She said loud enough for Akiyo to hear.

"I could never do that to Aki he is such a talented singer." Marek replied waving at Akiyo who returned the wave with a head nod.

"Could you tell him to go away at least?"

"I could...but I would rather have you go on break instead. You have been working over 5 hours." Marek replied shooing her away with his hand. Daizan gave him a wide eyed look while her lips trembled.

"But...but I have only been working since 11."

"Your time started a 6 when you came in. So go take your break that's an order." Marek said turning away from her so he could man the bar. Daizan groaned in disappointment, but she could not argue that the extra cash would look nice in her bank account. And with that she lifted up the barrier that separated the bar from the dance floor and faced Akiyo.

"Do you want to dance?" He asked casually as she brushed past him. She ignored him and decided to go look for K who she had lost track of an hour ago. As long as she had a goal in mind she could ignore the presence in back of her.

Akiyo was definitely amused, which was something that didn't usually happen. He had been telling Daizan the truth when he told her he had been thinking about her nose all day. But along with her nose he had been thinking of other parts of her as well. While she wasn't usually someone that he would try and woo he was now addicted to doing just that. It wasn't often that he came up against challenging females, but when it did happen it was fun for him.

After Ricio woke up from his hangover he had asked the raven haired male why he had let her get to him. Akiyo didn't bother answering and instead diverted the topic to a potential gig that he had found. While Ricio looked the offer over Akiyo pondered his actions. He knew that she had struck a nerve, but he had never really acted out on his emotions before. Most viewed him as a playboy that had varying interest. And with each new interest brought a change of scenery and people minus Ricio who was always a constant in his life. They had been together since he was 14, but that did not make them friends. Ricio was his handler and his job was to make sure he didn't get into too much trouble so he could be of use to his father when the time came.

Maybe it was the proximity of her accusations that coincided with a certain memory that he didn't like remembering. Her defiant nature and fury reminded him so much of someone. If he dug a little deeper he could remember her and the more he dug the angrier he became. ‘No' he thought, ‘those memories must stay buried'. And so he lashed out without really giving it much thought and once the red haze of anger died down he realized he had made a mistake.

And now here he was following her around the club as she searched for her friend. Akiyo knew that she had left with Ricio a half hour ago to some location in the club and knew that they would not be back for some time. So he knew that he had time to get to know Daizan before the brunette returned.

Daizan was getting frustrated she had no idea where K was and didn't really know who she could ask. The club was loud and the lighting was dim so it was definitely not an ideal location for her to be searching. And to add to her frustration was the stalker that wouldn't just leave her alone.

"Want to know a secret." Her stalker whispered in her ear as she finished her search of the VIP section. He startled her which made her bump into a couple that had been in the middle of a make out session. The inebriated blond turned her head back in annoyance and told Daizan to watch herself, before returning to her previous activities.

"Look what you did." She growled turning around and pointing a threatening finger in his face. "Why don't you just leave me alone and find someone else to play with." Daizan had grown tired of avoiding him and decided to take him head own.

"But if I left you wouldn't get to hear my secret." Akiyo said in a sing song voice as he ran his fingers alongside her outstretched arm. Daizan pulled her hand back in annoyance and reluctantly decided to appease him.

"Tell me you're secret and then leave me alone." She commanded and Akiyo happily obliged her.

"I know where your friend is."

"Where?"

"With a friend."

"No...She didn't....Nu-uh...But she...Ugh she did." Daizan groaned in defeat as she envisioned K running off and leaving without warning.

"So I told you my secret. You should dance with me now." He said and then his voice got serious. "I won't hurt you again I promise. I should have never done it in the first place."

Daizan tilted her head to the side and pondered what he just said. She assumed for someone like him this would be the closest she would get to an apology. And with the location of K revealed and a half hour to burn she decided to turn a new leaf. Plus she assumed if she danced with him he might leave her alone.

"Okay one dance."

 

 

 

 

End Notes:

So I have returned to finish this bad boy up. I just finished the chapter today and I haven't bothered to re-read anything, because I am afraid I will change it again. I am determined to finish this story and the next chapter should be posted up at the latest by next week.

This story archived at https://www.valentchamber.com/viewstory.php?sid=1725