Run Away, Love by sojo
Summary:

A young couple must face the damage and aftermath when one disappears without explanation and suddenly returns. While one deals with resentment at being abandoned, the other reveals their own shocking reasons.


Categories: Original Fiction Characters: None
Classification: None
Genre: Drama, Family, Romance
Story Status: Active
Pairings: None
Warnings: Adult Situations, Original Characters, Sexual Content
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: No Word count: 6061 Read: 36391 Published: November 27 2012 Updated: April 18 2013

1. Characters by sojo

2. Ch. 1: No More 3X5's by sojo

3. Ch. 2: A Mother's Choice by sojo

4. Ch. 3: Good Morning Heartache by sojo

5. Ch. 4: Conversations by sojo

6. Ch. 5: Confess by sojo

7. Ch. 7: Flashbacks, Hurt Spirits by sojo

Characters by sojo
Author's Notes:

Here are my main characters. I may add more..

Danica Everwood

Danica

 

Ethan Carson

Ethan

Ch. 1: No More 3X5's by sojo
Author's Notes:

Okay, so I'm taking a crack at writting, so tell me what you think. Good or bad, feeback is welcome. Other than that... enjoy.

 

"For crying out-," Ethan Carson ground out as he stared at the numerous graphs and pie charts on the paper in his hands. "You've got to be shitting me."

 

He'd been pouring over numbers and charts for hours, and had begun to feel a sizable migraine coming on. Day after day it never failed to surprise him how so many well paid individuals couldn't properly add numbers together. It's not like they were launching space shuttles here.

 

"They probably do this shit on purpose," He grumbled, just as the phone that occupied a corner of his desk began to ring.

 

"Mr. Carson," Eloise, the front desk assistant began in a hesitant voice. Over the years, she'd become accustomed with Ethan enough to sense when he was in a mood. "Mr. Gross called. He wants you to go over the numbers for the Haksuna account with him at 3."

 

"Of course he does," Ethan rolled his honey brown eyes. "Thank you Eloise."

 

Ethan chanced a look at his silver Bulova watch. Considering it was 10 minutes before three, he was safe in assuming this was another scheme to lure him away from the office.

 

Slipping his cell phone from his desk drawer, Ethan tapped the screen a few times and waited for it to dial an all too familiar number.

 

"Benjamin Gross," Ethan heard him answer curtly.

 

"I have work to do Ben," He reminded dryly.

 

"Like always," Ben dismissed his friend's well worn excuse. "You also have a life to live."

 

"I tried that, and we both know how that turned out."

 

Even though Ethan couldn't see him, Ben physically flinched at the bitterness that oozed from his words.

 

"I'll see you in the lobby at three." Ben declared before ending the call.

 

Ethan scowled at his phone, fighting the urge to throw into his bottom drawer and pretend the call never happened. But Ethan knew it was either lunch or deal with another obscene party that Ben insisted he attend. The thought alone was enough to make Ethan slip on his navy blue suit jacket, and exit his office.

 

"It's about damn time," Ben exclaimed when Ethan emerged from the elevator.

 

"Oh fuck you." Ethan snorted. "If it was up to me, I'd still be in the office."

 

Ben shook his head as they made their way down the busy downtown side walk. "See, it's a good thing you have friends like me, because at 27, you'd be the most boring bastard that ever lived."

 

"Keep thinking that," Ethan shrugged and Ben narrowed his eyes at him.

 

"Who pissed in your Cheerios this morning?"

 

"It's nothing," Ethan tried to down play and rubbed the back of his neck.

 

"You still haven't heard from her?"

 

Ethan simply shook his head. Ben couldn't help but feel sorry for him. If he were in Ethan's shoes, he wasn't sure he'd be any better off.

 

"You'll probably get one from her any day now," He smiled and gave Ethan's shoulder a sympathetic squeeze. All Ethan could manage was a nod in response. He was too embarrassed to admit that he'd spent the previous night rereading every past post card she'd sent.

 

++++++++

 

"Welcome to Chicago O'Hare Airport," The pilot announced over the PA system as the plain taxied down the runway. The words alone were enough to spark the anxiety that Danica Everwood spent the last year and a half trying to overcome.

 

But at 24 years old, Danica wasn't afraid to say that she was scared. She was scared of the city. She was scared the man she'd abandoned. She was scared of what had driven her from the city to begin with. She was scared of the mess she'd made and the aftermath of it.

 

"It's now or never," She whispered quietly to herself and gathered her carry on bag and prepared to exit the plane.

 

Walking through the terminal with her fellow passengers, Danica fought to calm her pounding heart. She silently chanted the calming mantra that she'd learned from her therapist as the sounds of the busy airport grew louder.

 

Before she knew it, her legs stopped on their own, just short of her exiting the terminal. Her fear was growing rapidly, and she felt herself becoming rooted to the spot. He hands clutched the strap of her bag, squeezing it to her chest, as she stared out into the air port wide eyed.

 

Just as she felt her breaths becoming short, she heard a voice; a voice that sounded like home.

 

"Danny!" It was her mother, "Oh my baby."

 

"Mom," Danica whispered in relief as her legs began to function again, propelling her to where her parents stood waiting.

 

"Hi sweetheart," Her mother cooed with a tearful grin before hesitantly reaching for a hug.

 

"Hi mom," Danica gave a small smile in return, and slowly loosened her hold on the strap before stepping into her mother's waiting arms.

 

"Welcome home sweet pea," Her father smiled warmly, gently touching the top of her head.

 

Ch. 2: A Mother's Choice by sojo
Author's Notes:

I'm so glad there's so much interest in this. I deffiniately didn't expect to get so many reviews on my first chap. Thank you all for the reviews and feedback! 

 

A majority of the time, the only way to handle a problem is to face it head on. The further you run, the bigger it grows and the more tangled it becomes. Everyone's received this message, but how many of us actually take heed?

 

Danica found herself wishing for the millionth time that she had stayed. She should've stayed and dealt with her issues instead of running like a coward. But at the time, running away felt like her only option.

 

"Danny," Her mother called as she tapped on her bedroom door. "I made dinner. Come down and eat."

 

Danica gave a smile of thanks before uncurling herself from her seat next to the window. She tugged at the grey over sized NYU sweatshirt out of habit, and followed her Mother out of the room.

 

Gale hid the sadness that crept into her smile at the sight of her daughter's choice of attire. She'd come to realize that Danica clung to the sweatshirt as though it were a security blanket. She didn't have the heart to point out such at the moment, but she planned to in the near future.

 

"Devin and Chrisette are here," Gale informed, searching for something to say. It was odd to see her normally chatty child so quiet.

 

All Danica could manage was a soft, "Oh". She loved her older brother and her niece dearly, and knew they missed her, but she wasn't in the mood for so many people.

"Look who's here," Gale announced as they rounded the corner and entered the dinning room where everyone waited.

 

"Danny," Chrisette squealed before attaching herself to Danica's waist.

 

"Chris-" Devin stood and tried to pry the 10 year old away, but Danica waved him off.

 

"It's okay," She assured, and gave the girl a gentle squeeze. "Hi niecey."

 

"I missed you so much Danny," Chrisette babbled as she pulled Danica to a seat. "Are you all better now?"

 

"Chris," Devin warned, throwing an apologetic look Danica's way.

 

"I'm getting there," Danica replied with a nod, much to her family's relief.

 

+++++++

 

Cold.

 

That's how Ethan felt every time he returned to his seemingly empty apartment after work. He'd developed the routine of staying at the office as late as he possibly could, just to avoid having to experience the hallow feeling the washed over him the moment he stepped inside and switch the lights on. But then, Eloise would come charging in and shoo him away from his desk, leaving him with no other choice.

 

Loosening the knot in his grey tie, Ethan marched his way into the kitchen. He reached into the top cabinet next to the refrigerator and pulled out a bottle of Bourbon, his new found friend of the last 18 months. The only thing to keep him from dwelling on her, and what could've possibly gone wrong.

 

The phone rang, pausing Ethan in his search for a glass. He decided to entertain the possibility that it might be her calling, but he knew better. Her only method of contact had been post cards with a few short sentences scrawled on the back and no return address. Each one concluding with a simple, I love you.

 

The thought alone was enough to make Ethan slam the cabinet door shut and wrench the top off the bottle. He was mid swig when his mother's voice filled the apartment.

 

"Ethan," She called via the voice mail on his phone. "Ethan I know you're there. Put that goddamned bottle down and answer the phone."

 

Ethan quickly wiped his mouth and obeyed. "Hey mom."

 

"Hmph," Nora huffed. "I figured I should catch you before you nightly bender."

 

"Mom," Ethan groaned, taking a seat at the dark oak kitchen table. "You make it sound like I'm an alcoholic."

 

"Honey," Nora sighed, the edge filtering away from her tone. "You can't keep doing this to yourself."

 

"I just can't understand," He voiced, slumping back into his chair. "Why would she do something like this?"

 

"I know it's hard, but I'm sure she has her reasons." Nora reasoned. It pained her to see her only child so hurt, especially at the hands of someone who claimed to love him. "Have you tried her parents again?"

 

"All I got was the same crap about her being with family Louisiana." Ethan spat. "They won't even say why. It's like they've been sworn to secrecy."

 

Nora listened wordlessly, feeling her own frustration begin to flare.

 

"I'm her fiancé for God's sake! If there's anyone that deserves to know what's going on, it's me!" He exclaimed, his voice cracking at the end.

 

There was a pause as Nora listened to the sound of liquid swishing in a bottle, and knew he was self medicating again.

 

"Ethan," She replied, her tone turning sympathetic. "You'll get passed this. I promise."

 

"Promises, promises..." He muttered, taking another gulp from the bottle.

 

Nora shook her head. "I'll talk to you tomorrow, okay?"

 

"Mmhmm," Ethan hummed, taking note that she side stepped her usual closing of ‘love you'. The phrase was the wrong fuse to light in Ethan, and everyone knew it. "Bye mom."

 

"Bye honey," Nora sighed as she ended the call. She then leaned over and reached into her nightstand drawer.

 

"Another bad night," Her husband wondered as he climbed into bed next to her.

 

"I'm sick of this Joe," She cried as she skimmed through her address book. "I can't even tell my son ‘I love you' without him going to pieces. I've had enough."

 

"Nora, what are you doing?" Joe questioned. "It's almost 11:30."

 

"I don't care," She dismissed. Once she found the name she was looking for, she quickly dialed the number next to it.

 

+++++++

 

"Oh Good Lord," Gale whispered as she stared at the lit up display on the phone.

 

"What," Harrison inquired sleepily from beside her. Gale simply placed a hand over her mouth and held the phone for him to read the screen.

 

Nora Carson.

 

"We need to tell them," Harrison reasoned.

 

Gale shook her head. "It's not our place."

 

"Damn it, Gale." He cried out and switched the bedside lamp on. "I understand you want to protect Danny after all that's happened. And I do too. But that boy deserves to at least know that she's back."

 

Gale knew that their secrecy about Danica's leaving was killing Ethan, but her first instinct as a mother was to protect her child.

 

"Imagine how much this is hurting him," Harrison advised, urging her to answer the call. "You wouldn't want them to do this to Danny. Listen, you don't have to tell them everything, just tell them she's home."

 

The image of Danica from dinner, clad in that worn grey sweatshirt flashed across her mind. It was all she needed to know she had to press the talk button.

 

Ch. 3: Good Morning Heartache by sojo
Author's Notes:

I take it there won't be any Danica fan clubs anytime soon? LOL. But honestly, I'm excited there's such a strong reaction to her and the story. You guys' reviews are quite fun to read, so thanks again. Anywhoo, onward and upward...

More Charater pics (click 'em!):

Gale and Harrison Everwood

Nora and Joeseph Carson

 

 

 

 

 

Morning always came way too soon to Ethan. The second he closed his eyes, it was right there to greet him with a blinding white light, and a skull splitting headache. At the moment, he debated on even showing up for work.

 

"Ugh," He groaned, still tasting the Bourbon from the night before. He sat up and glanced around the room, taking in the dark wooded dresser and the sky blue sheets, he abruptly ended his debate. There was absolutely no way he would stay cooped up here.

 

After checking the time and discovering it was only 6:30, Ethan began untangling himself from his sheets. He took his time knowing he had over 2 hours to at least make an attempt to look presentable.

 

Once he was free, Ethan stood and made a bee line for the bathroom. After running warm water into the sink, Ethan cupped some into his hands and splashed it onto his face. He kept his eyes clenched shut as he blindly felt around for a towel. But then his hand collided with a bottle, knocking it into the one next to it, resulting in a domino effect.

 

"Damn it..." He cursed at the tinkling of the bottles rolling on the countertop. He finally located a towel and quickly dried his face. Draping the towel over his shoulder, Ethan began straightening up the fallen bottles, but came to a pause when he realized what he was holding.

 

A sense of longing nostalgia filled him as he gazed down at his hands. Before he could even think to stop himself, he lifted one of the bottles to his nose, taking a whiff.

 

The aroma of orange sapphire invaded his senses as he staggered to sit on the bathtub edge.

 

"Ethan," Danica giggled as she leaned forward and pushed against his bare shoulder. "Ethan!"

 

"What," Ethan gave a chuckle of his own and continued to graze his knuckles against the bottom of Danica's foot. "It told you about that lotion."

 

"Alright, I won't wear it any more!" She squealed, her jet black hair falling into her eyes.

 

"Nope," Ethan grinned devilishly. Releasing her foot, Ethan stretched forward and buried his face into the crook of her neck. "I've changed my mind."

 

Danica curled into him, one hand caressing the side of his neck while the other wove into his hair. "Have you?"

 

"Mmhmm," Was his muffled reply, as he inhaled her scent. "You can wear it."

 

"Really," She purred as she felt one of his hands trailing up her camisole.

 

"Yep," Ethan grinned again, and Danica flushed. She never knew a simple smile could take on such an obscene meaning.

 

"As long as you're wearing nothing else..."

 

Ethan blinked out of the reverie that the memory brought on. He could never understand why he kept a hold on to such things despite his hurt. She could so easily walk away from him, but he couldn't bring himself to discard something as simple as a bottle of lotion.

 

+++++++

 

Danica lay in bed, her coal dark eyes fixed out of the window. She'd been in this same position since she'd awoken at sunrise. It happened like clockwork. She'd spend a majority of night tossing and turning in a fitful sleep, before finally giving up in surrender and opening her eyes to watch the sun rise.

 

She knew the why, of course. She'd discovered the reason for her restless sleep months ago.

 

She needed him.

 

His old sweatshirt wasn't enough anymore. She needed his arms banded around her, pulling her close and blanketing her in warmth.

 

But would he want her there? And even if by some miracle he did, could she push her anxiety aside to accept it?

 

A soft tap came from the other side of her bedroom door. Danica sat up and looked to the door just in time to see her mom poke her head into the room.

 

"Did I wake you?" Gale asked sheepishly. Danica shook her head, and watched her step into the room and shut the door behind her. She padded across the tan carpet, and took a seat on the bed.

 

"How are you feeling?"

 

Danica shrugged as she toyed with her yellow sheets. "I'm okay."

 

"Good, good," She nodded. "Devin and Chrissy were so glad to see you."

 

"Yeah," Danica agreed. She was starting to sense that her mom had something to tell her, but wasn't sure how to say it. "Mom... what is it?"

 

Gale cast her eyes down at the lilac and tulip flowers in the bed spread. "Nora called last night."

 

Danica sucked in a breath, and tugged at the collar of her sweatshirt.

 

"She's worried about Ethan."

 

"I know," Danica acknowledged softly. Nora Carson was a nice woman, but she was no joke when it came to her baby boy.

 

"I uh," She continued. "I told her you were here."

 

"What," Danica gasped, her eyes widening in panic.

 

"She said she won't tell Ethan," Gale quickly assured, rubbing Danica's arm. "Look, I'm not trying to push you, but you need to see him. To tell him what happened."

Danica buried her face in her hands. "I know mom, but... what if he doesn't want to see me? I just abandoned him."

 

"Danny," Gale cried and cradled Danica into her arms. "Don't talk like that."

 

"But it's true mom! I'm damaged goods and he deserves better." Danica whimpered, her tears filling her eyes. "I'm broken."

 

"Shhh," Gale hushed and pulled her closer, gently rocking from side to side.

 

Ch. 4: Conversations by sojo
Author's Notes:

Alrighty folks, after this chap. things really kick off...

More Characters:

Chrisette

Devin

Alison

 

"Hello Danica. Is everything okay?" Dr. Greenway queried over the phone.

 

"Um, well yes- no," Danica fumbled as she folded her knees to her chest. She sat on the patio swing in her backyard. "I don't know."

 

"It's alright," Dr. Greenway assured. "Just talk to me. How's your family?"

 

"They're fine," nodded Danica. "They've been really good considering..."

 

"Yes, well that's good to hear." She noticed that Danica still had trouble bringing her self to say the words. "How's your fiancé?"

 

The air seemed to rush from Danica's lungs at the mention of Ethan. He was the whole reason for the need to contact the therapist. She needed guidance on how to speak about a situation she was afraid to bring up.

 

"Danica," Dr. Greenway called. "Are you still there?"

 

"Y-yes," She cleared her throat. "I haven't seen him yet."

 

"You have to tell him eventually." She offered calmly. "You know that, don't you?"

 

"I know. I want too, but-" Danica paused. "I'm scared."

 

"Danica, I know it's still hard for you to accept what happened. But you've made some wonderful progress and I'd hate for you to let your fear hinder that."

 

Dr. Greenway continued on as Danica sat in silence, taking in her words.

 

"Ethan is your fiancé, and from what you've told me, he loves you. I would even venture to say that he loves you unconditionally."

 

"That's the problem," Danica sniffled, wiping her eyes. "He loves the old me. But this new me, the one that disappeared on him? He won't accept that."

 

"The old you is still there," Dr. Greenway reasoned. "And if he loves you enough to want you as his wife, he will accept what has happened to you."

 

Danica wordlessly agreed, swiping at her tear streaked face.

 

"Danny," A third voice yelped in alarm. Danica's head snapped to the right, where Devin stood at the back door. "What's wrong?"

 

"I'll talk to you later, okay?" Dr. Greenway spoke, deciding it was best to continue the conversation at another time. "Take care of yourself Danica."

 

"Okay, bye Dr. Greenway," Danica ended the call as Devin made his way over to her. "I'm ok Devin."

 

"I know," Devin said dismissively. "But you know I hate to see you cry."

 

She just shrugged, knowing Devin had gone into big brother mode.

 

"What's the matter?" He inquired. Reflexively, he reached up to wipe her face. Danica immediately flinched at the movement.

 

She felt the guilt hit the second Devin dropped his hand with a disheartening look.

 

"Sorry," She apologized, which he waved off with a weak grin.

 

"It's my fault. I forgot." He said. "Mom told me Mrs. Carson called."

 

"Yeah," Danica confirmed. "I don't know how I'm going to tell Ethan."

 

"He'll understand, Danny." Devin encouraged. "He may be hurt for the moment, but he'll get passed it."

 

"If I'm lucky," She gave a sad chuckle.

 

"You'd be surprised how fast love can mend a hurt soul." Devin replied and hugged her close.

 

+++++++

 

Ethan kept his sunglasses lowered as he stepped inside the pharmacy. He was in desperate need of aspirin.

 

"You look like you've been to hell and back."

Ethan inwardly cringed at the voice and its opinion, but presented the most neutral expression he could.

 

"Hey Alison," He greeted the wide eyed woman. "How's it going?"

 

"Pretty good," She smirked. "I can't say the same for you though."

 

"Cute," deadpanned Ethan as he browsed to isle.

 

"It's what I do best," She quipped, and this time Ethan really did cringe. They both knew it was Danica's comeback whenever he called her cute.

 

"So um," Alison cleared her throat. "What are you up to?"

 

"Nothing but a desperate search for aspirin," He muttered. Ethan finally turned his full attention to Alison when she stepped forward and placed a comforting hand on his arm.

 

"I know it might not count for much but, I've been told I'm a good listener."

 

Ethan felt his mouth go dry as he looked into her willing eyes.

 

"I'll keep that in mind," He rushed. Ethan grabbed the first bottle he saw and backed away. "I'll see you around."

 

The last thing Ethan wanted to do was talk; especially to her. He was in such a hurry to get out of the store that he didn't realize his name was being called.

 

A tiny girl with two puffy pig tail grinned up at him, "Hi Ethan!"

 

"Hi Chrissy," He felt himself soften the moment he looked into her face. Aside from Danica, Chrisette was the only one that had such an affect on him. "What are you doing here?"

 

"Daddy's getting my medicine," She spoke shyly, and pointed toward Devin who stood talking with a pharmacist. Ethan nodded in understanding. He dropped the bottle into a nearby bin and offered his hand to her.

 

"Come on. I don't think Devin likes you wondering off like this."

 

"Okay," Chrisette conceded and took his hand. Just as she did, Devin whipped around frantically. Ethan quickly lifted the little girl into his arms and swiftly made his way over to him. Anyone who knew Devin knew that Chrissette was practically his whole world.

 

"I got her man," Ethan announced getting Devin's attention. Ethan watched the panic ease from his face as they got closer.

 

"Jesus," Devin puffed out as Ethan handed Chrisette to him. "Chris, what did I tell you about doing that?!"

 

"I just wanted to say hi to Ethan daddy," She pouted. "I'm sorry."

 

"How's it going," Ethan greeted and stuffed his hands into his pockets.

 

"We're doing alright," Devin replied as an awkward silence fell over them.

 

Until Chrisette exclaimed, "Does this mean you and Danny are gonna get married now?"

 

The men's eyes widened at the child. Neither one was sure how to respond.

 

"I don't think so kid," Ethan answered as lightly as he could.

 

"But she came home!" Chrisette wailed in disbelief. "She's all better."

 

The words seemed to slap Ethan in the face. Home? Better?

 

"Wh- what's she talking about?" He fumbled as his eyes narrowed in suspicion.

 

Devin squeezed his eyes shut. "Danny... she's- she came home."

 

Devin opened his eyes to see Ethan staring him in the face.

 

"She's home," Ethan repeated, his lips thinning into a straight line. "Unbelievable."

 

He threw one hardened glare at Devin before shaking his head, turning and abruptly marching out the door.

 

Ch. 5: Confess by sojo
Author's Notes:

Okay, I know it's been a while since I've added and I'm really sorry. Holidays will do that, lol. Any whoo, let the sparks begin...

 

The white knuckle grip Ethan had on the steering wheel never relented as he sped through the streets of Chicago. He muttered incoherently under his breath as his old friend anger cheered him on.

 

"I can't BELIEVE this SHIT," He ground out through clenched teeth. He could practically feel his blood boiling with each thought. When did she come back? Where did she come back from? How long had she'd been home and was she even planning to tell him?

 

The ringing of his phone seemed to barge into his thoughts like a fog horn. He snatched the device from the center counsel and glanced at the caller Id.

 

Mom.

"Not now-" Ethan bit abruptly before slamming on his breaks to keep from plowing into the person waiting at the light in front of him. In the process, his phone happened to fly to the floor.

 

"God damnit!" He cursed.

 

"Son," Nora's voice advised through the car's sound system, alerting Ethan that the call had indeed been answered. "Is that type of language really necessary?"

 

"Now's not a good time mom," He grumbled as he dipped from behind the slow moving driver ahead of him.

 

"You always say that," Nora dismissed, believing it was another one of his veiled attempt to get rid of her. "As I was-"

 

"Mom!" Ethan announced sharply. "I really don't have time for this, okay? Danny's home."

 

"Oh," was all Nora could manage in a small, questioning voice.

 

Unfortunately, her tone wasn't lost on Ethan.

 

"But you already knew," He supplied flatly.

 

"Ethan, honey..." Nora fumbled.

 

"GoodBYE Mom," Ethan gritted and ended the call.

 

"Un-fucking-believable," He growled and shook his head. Everyone had a secret, and every secret seemed to cover for her.

 

He skidded to a halt and threw the gear in park. He stared at the house he was parked in front of and felt his nose flare. He'd had enough. It was time to go to root of it all.

++++++

 

Danica stood pacing in her room, still debating on how she was going to explain herself to Ethan. She wasn't sure how long she'd been at it, but she happened to glance at her window, out onto the street below.

 

Something that hadn't previously been there caught her eye and her stomach suddenly felt as if it were made of lead. The new addition was a vehicle that she knew all too well. She inched closer, never taking her eyes off the car. By the time she collapsed on to the window seat, reality came knocking at her door.

 

"Danny," Gale called solemnly as she stepped into the room. "Ethan's here."

 

Danica felt herself stop breathing the moment Gale moved aside to reveal Ethan.

 

She watched as he stepped into the room, looking everywhere but at her. She took in his concentrated expression, his hair, his smell, everything about him. Everything that she remembered and clung to was the same, mostly. But she noted the darkened shadows under his eyes and knew she was the cause.

 

"I'll leave you two alone," Gale murmured and quietly made her exit.

 

It wasn't until when the door shut that Ethan finally looked at Danica. Involuntarily, he took note of how his old college sweatshirt hung on her frame. She'd obviously lost weight.

 

He moved forward and Danica seemed to shrink away, staring at the floor and fiddling with her fingers. ‘Since when did she become so fragile', Ethan wondered.

 

Danica twisted her fingers nervously, to afraid to meet eyes with Ethan again. The anger and pain she saw was enough to send her anxiety into over drive.

 

"You know," He scoffed. "I don't know whether to hug you or shake you."

 

Danica nodded mutely. She gnawed into her trembling bottom lip.

 

"You just up and disappear without a word," He seemed to muse. "And don't even think enough of me to say when you back."

 

"Ethan, I'm- I'm sor-"

 

"No," He exclaimed, cutting her off. "No. You don't get to do that. I won't give you the satisfaction. After all of THIS! You don't even deserve the chance to apologize."

 

Danica's mouth moved wordlessly, grasping for something, anything to say.

 

"And like the fool that I am," Ethan seethed, feeling every built up emotion fighting to come forward. "I actually came running TO YOU!"

 

"I going to come to you," Danica gasped, she felt her chest tightening with every word. "I was going to tell you..."

 

Her trailing off was enough to fuel Ethan even more. "Tell me what? Huh? You better come up with some good shit, because this scared little girl act isn't it!"

 

Tears began to spill down Danica's cheeks against her will. She knew he would be angry, but she had no idea how to face it. All she knew for certain was that she deserved it.

 

"You don't understand," She pleaded.

"What's there to understand," Ethan yelled. This new whimpering Danica was something he wasn't prepared for. Weak wasn't something Danica was, and while tiny voice tried to reason his hurt drove him forward, using her weakened state as fuel. "That you're a coward? That you're selfish? That you're careless? Stop me when I get to one that you like."

 

"You don't understand," She repeated, bringing her knees to her chest. It was all coming back.

 

"Well, make me understand." Ethan seethed.

 

‘He doesn't want you,' A voice began to sneer in Danica's mind.

 

"No," Danica whimpered and Ethan recoiled in shock.

 

"No," He spat. "I at least deserve to know what possessed you to pull this stunt."

 

‘He deserves better.'

 

"Stop it," Danica sniffled, knotting her fists into her hair.

 

"The hell I will," Ethan continued, his rage blinding him to the woman slowly falling apart before him.

 

‘You're filthy. You're ruined. Why would he want you?'

 

Danica squeezed her eyes shut. "Please stop."

 

Suddenly Ethan charged forward, gripping her wrists. "What's wrong with you?!"

 

‘Tell him you're used. Tell him you're broken. Tell him you asked for it... tell him.'

 

Without either of them realizing it, the final chain holding Danica back had broken.

 

"I WAS RAPED!" She all but screamed  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

End Notes:

So how do you feel about Danica now?

Ch. 7: Flashbacks, Hurt Spirits by sojo
Author's Notes:

I'm SO SORRY everyone! I know it's been forever since I last posted a chapter, but between a case of writter's block and starting a new job, I've really neglected this story. But here's a new chap. as a peace offering, lol. Enjoy.

 

A weighty silence filled the room and Ethan felt his whole world go onto a tilt. He slowly released Danica and rocked backward, landing on his butt and resting his back against the bed.

 

The word ‘rape' seemed to echo in his head relentlessly. How could this happen? How could I not know? Why couldn't she tell me?

 

"Wh- what," Ethan fumbled in his dazed state. The shock had begun to numb his senses.

 

Danica squeezed her legs closer, attempting to bring her body into a tighter ball. It was all she could think to do. She was falling apart all over again as memories flashed through her mind.

 

"He wouldn't stop," She sobbed. His cologne and whiskey laced scent began to invade her senses.

 

Ethan slowly focused back onto Danica and began to watch her in horror.

 

She was reliving it again.

 

"What are you doing?" Danica laughed as she brushed Sean away. He'd begun working at the firm a little over two months ago and it was common knowledge he'd developed an appetite for Danica.

 

"Nothing," Sean smirked as he returned to his original position, close behind her.

 

"Sean," Danica gasped as he pressed into her, feeling his growing length. She whipped around and extended her hand, pushing him away. "Seriously, we've talked about this. You need to stop."

 

"I can't help myself around you Danny," He shrugged, moving in again. "You know that."

 

"Don't," Danica admonished at his use of her nick name. "You need to go home. Now."

 

Sean chuckled, dismissing the warning laced in her tone. "You always play so hard to get. But I love that."

 

"There's nothing to get." Danica snatched up her last bit of paper work, and proceeded to march for the door. "Leave me alone."

 

Before she knew it, pressure gripped her upper arm and jerked her back.

 

"See, always a game." He laughed, pulling her flush against him.

 

"Let go of me!" Danice shouted, letting her hand fly across his face. She was done being polite. She'd had enough. "Who the hell do you think you are?!"

 

A darkened look fell over Sean's face. His grip tightened before flung Danica away, sending her flying into a nearby wall.

 

"Who do I think I am," He advanced toward her and growled. "Bitch, who do you think you are? You walk around here in your little tight ass suits with you're breasts spilling out you shirt, flirt with every man that comes in here, and not expect anyone to want a taste? You've been asking for this and you know it!"

 

Danica was certain she was in danger and began scrambling for her phone. "Get away from me! I'm calling the cops."

 

"I don't think so," He spat with a grim smile and grabbed Danica's arms. He swiftly lifted her off the ground and slammed her into the wall again. Using his hips to pin her in place, Sean released one of her arms to roughly hike up her skirt.

 

"Stop it," Danica shouted and using her free arm, she swung her elbow up, jamming him in the face. "Help!"

 

Danica stumbled over her heals, tearing across the room for the door. All she could think of was making it to the elevator. Once there, she could pull the emergency alarm.

 

She was almost there.

 

But Sean recovered faster, and was on her yet again, tackling her to the ground.

 

"Fuckin' tease," He panted with a snarl, pinning her face down to the floor. He used his weight on top of Danica and began using his knee to maneuver her legs open.

 

Danica had never felt so stripped and powerless before as she lay trapped beneath him. "Someone, please help me!"

 

"Shut up!" Sean roared and slammed her head downward, into the floor. "Everyone knows you're a slut. No one's going to help you."

 

Danica released a pained sob as the taste of blood filled her mouth. She felt hope slowly drain from her as Sean ripped her panties away.

 

"Let's see what's got your little fiancé so in love," Sean grunted and unbuckled his pants.

 

"He wouldn't stop," Danica wept incoherently.

 

It was all too much for Ethan could take. He felt horrified, sick, guilty, and enraged all at once. No one felt he deserved to know, and at the moment, Ethan wasn't sure he wanted to know.

 

"I'm sorry."

 

Those two words, falling from her lips like a prayer, was the final push over the edge for Ethan. He couldn't stay there. He couldn't hear anymore.

 

Ethan shakily climbed to his feet, and blindly fled the room that had suddenly become to crowded.

 

End Notes:

I may add a few more character pics too.

This story archived at https://www.valentchamber.com/viewstory.php?sid=2322