The ChoZen by EJBradley
RetiredSummary:

Formally Ashes, Ashes

Red flashing lights…

Heavy footsteps echoed through the deserted hallway.

Fire alarms blared...

Breaths lodged in throats as the search for survival worsened.

Pungent smell of death overwhelmed as the Z’s closed in...

Survival was futile now, running was the only escape; in this new apocalyptic post war world, living was no longer guaranteed.


Categories: Original Fiction Characters: None
Classification: Alternate Universe
Genre: Action-Adventure , Drama, Horror
Story Status: Completed
Pairings: None
Warnings: Adult Situations, Character Death, Dark Fic, Extreme Language, Graphic Violence, Original Characters, Racism, Sexual Content
Challenges: Chamber Grindhouse Challenge 6
Challenges: Chamber Grindhouse Challenge 6
Series: None
Chapters: 18 Completed: Yes Word count: 65447 Read: 77358 Published: October 12 2013 Updated: June 05 2014

1. Run! by EJBradley

2. Strange, Flow by EJBradley

3. Stranger by EJBradley

4. He, Who Watches by EJBradley

5. Michael by EJBradley

6. M9 Beretta by EJBradley

7. Dreams by EJBradley

8. Who Are You by EJBradley

9. Lady in White by EJBradley

10. Karen's 11 by EJBradley

11. Sacrifices by EJBradley

12. The Beginning by EJBradley

13. Phase II by EJBradley

14. Two Days by EJBradley

15. You're Not Alone by EJBradley

16. The Way Out by EJBradley

17. R. C. C. D by EJBradley

18. Fallen by EJBradley

Run! by EJBradley
Author's Notes:

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

 “Move!”

As soon as Jasper’s voice bounced off the deserted walls of the hospital, it ignited a flame in all of us. The hordes of the dead raced behind; a bleeding child within our party acted as sonar. I looked up at the leader of our six man pack as he raised his machete and made the signal for no-sound combat. Automatically, I tucked away my hand gun and pulled out my 12’’ stainless steel hunting knife.

“We should split up.” I heard the words from one of the new additions. The older man was from a town about 20 miles ago. We picked up him and his teenage son while rummaging through a grocery store. They help us against a mob of twenty Zombies. And as compensation, Jasper and I accepted them into our circle, or more like what was left of it after the first year of Post War Z.

In the last two years a deadly virus emerged around the world. Much like what horror films showed you and Zombie books described, the sickness was quick and spared no one; killed you and then reanimated your limbs into a soulless monster. Newspapers and NPR first reported it as a chemical attack, especially with all the activity from the Middle East. And while the top Nations acted against Arab countries, the sickness grew right underneath our noses. Eventually, doctors traced the disease back to some deserted area of Mexico.

It hit South America first and the fastest. Within two months of detection in the Southern countries, the continent went under. Asia was next, used some serious weapons to try and tame the undead, but they did more damaged to the living; they were gone after three months. Europe, Canada, and the States followed third. Each country had their own plans of attack or escape, and five months gave ample time to prepare, however when the time came, preparation was the furthest from most people’s mind.

It’s been two years since the disease landed at my doorstep. I was a starving actress and lived in a three bedroom loft in Brooklyn with nine other roommates. At the time people whispered about illegal boats cruising up to the shores and brought the sick, however in NYC rumors were as common as bedbugs, so the whole city continued on with their lives, even restaurants stayed open with the hope of blossomed profits from abandoned tourist. When the first alert from the President and Mayor rang from radio stations and tv sets, lockdown started and for two weeks prior, my bohemian friends and I took this time to drink our faces off and throw legendary parties. It was during some severe day-drinking that the Mayor confirmed the first case within the Manhattan borders.

The smash of a fallen door brought me back to reality as we hit a dead end. Double doors with two slender windows exposed a bridge packed with the undead. Red eyes and snarling mouths pressed against the glass, while their hands played with the handles. Chills spread along my body and I stared. We all waited as they tried to solve another barrier the human race had against zombies; door handles.

Adaptation…this word uttered the most during the downfall of our nation, has plagued survival. The mutated carcasses, brought back from the dead, adapted fast in post war. In months, the transition only took seconds instead of minutes. Their hunting strategies were more sophisticated. Instead of solidarity, they moved in groups; their hunting parties became more effective. Even their food source was now selective; small animals were spared for larger mammals. And while the living were afraid of everything under the sun, holing themselves up and refused to trust others, the Z’s band together and quickly took control. Cities torn apart, towns completely overrun, and all major highways were death traps. When the living smarted up and worked together, there weren’t enough people around. So you had these mix-matched groups, sneaking around during the day, welding make shift weapons out of anything, and hoped that survival was on their side, much like us now.

My hand itched for my gun. My eyes set on the door, ready when it burst open, while the others frantically looked for a way out. “Fuck…”said the teenage boy as his Doc Martins created more sounds.

“Keep still or you will give us away…” I whispered, but everyone knew it would be our latest addition that won that title.

I snuck a glance at the young mother, in her arms a child no older than three. We found her huddled over his body at the riverside two miles ago. Immediately, the old man stopped and approached her, scared we would lead the gang of Z’s following us straight into her. He begged that she come with us, kept the injured child a secret, until the hordes number doubled in minutes and we were forced to seek refuge in a hospital. Now look at us.

“We should move…” I whispered again, as the Z’s on the other side of the door became aggravated. The hinges creaked in protest of their weight.

“We need to retrace…”The woman added, by Jasper immediately interrupted.

“…what we need to do is clean up your son, and find a tightly sealed room. With his bleeding, we’ll run ourselves out. For now…” he pointed his machete toward the door of an operating room. “We’re going through there; everyone be alert, and fight back or I will leave you. Celeste…” he looked at me. “I want you at the back.” I nodded; in this world Jasper and I were to always have each other’s back.

Before the war, Jasper was a friend I met from a friend. They were associates…or more like fuck buddies. He lived in Brooklyn like me, only a couple of subway stops away, while she was one of my roommates. Like many in NYC, he traveled from Jordan alone, and only reached out to his family once a month. Quickly, my gang became his adopted family. When we first met he was the nice, sensible, smart, funny, and passionate, could cure all the chaos surrounding me. Now, he was only a shell of his former self.  When the virus took hold of Manhattan and everyone boarded the bridges, Jasper ran to my apartment, filled with all the housemates, and told us we needed to escape. He was afraid that by keeping everyone out of Brooklyn, the local government would also trap us in. Which was right, but only a handful of my dearest companions and I followed him. Several weeks after we fled, a couple from Manhattan told us that in hours the city fell.

Immediately, Jasper became the strongest amongst our seven man group. He kept us tight, kept us going, and knew what to say when we gave up. He was a keystone; however even his strength could only go so far.  Over our first year of traveling, we lost almost everyone. The first attack was in a bathroom stall; second attack while raiding a house, and third…well, that was when everything was lost.

I came back to the sound of glass and watched the observation window fall like rain. Jasper had the blunt end of his machete aimed toward the hole. The distinctive drumming of the Z’s filled the hallway outside the room, and the stench hit us like bricks. I ran and closed the door, made sure to bolt it shut with a loose pipe. “Move!” Jasper yelled and he jumped over the ledge. The young boy was next and then the woman. She approached and raised her child to pass him over, but Jasper just moved away. When the teenager stepped forward, Jasper hand flew out just as the old man volunteered. To have a bleeding wound was one thing, but to have someone’s blood on you was pure suicide. This we knew; the boy still needed to learn.

As the woman passed off her child, my eyes took in his lifeless face. If he wasn’t dead already, he would be within an hour. A roar exploded behind us, signaled that the bridge doorway had gave way. If we didn’t move, the undead would be in here in seconds. “We need to dump him,” Jasper yelled. “They smell him and they’re going to trap us in. We’re already going in circles.”

By facial expressions, the group realized this too. “So what should we do?” The old man asked. He was a softy, that’s his downfall. He brought the woman and child to us and we took care of them, but now she would get us killed.

“Dump him, he’s already dead.” This came from the man’s son. Eighteen, I thought. Suddenly, I remembered and the ease behind his words scared me. Hard eyes, jittery movements; this was not from adrenaline. This world would make him a psycho who killed for sport, something that would be his blessing and curse.

“I agree.” I turned to Jasper, not surprised by his words. He inched forward and placed a finger under the boy’s nose. “His breathing is minimal. He’s not going to last and they are getting closer.” Our eyes met. “Celeste, look for a way out now!” However, his cold eyes stared a little too long and I understood the message. Jasper only intended an out for two of us.

Obediently, I went straight to task, kept an ear open for the sounds of Z’s. As I walked to the edge of the room, the old man spoke. “Take my boy, I’ll stay with her. Go to the town two miles away, we’ll meet you there in a of couple hours.”

“Old man, you’re crazy to think you can get out of this alone,” Jasper responded. It would be suicide to stay here.

“Dad, just…come with us now,” the boy yelled, an inch of desperation weaved in his request.

Shadows began to sway under the door and I could make out individual growls. “We don’t have time for this.” I shouted and then looked toward the ceiling. There was a duct, ventilation system right above us. “Help me,” I shouted toward the kid, but he seemed shocked by his father.  “Jasper…” I said more urgently. We were good at escaping, damn good, but this was pushing it close.

Immediately, Jasper jumped back over and dragged the operating table. With the child back in his mother’s arms, the old man stack chairs against the door. As soon as the table was in place with only a five foot gap to the ceiling, Jasper was first go up. The other three seemed impervious to what we were doing and once again, the separation appeared. It would be easy to leave them now.

Fully secured, Jasper hung from the hip and lowered his arms toward me. With one leg on the table, I glanced at the others and paused. The man and son worked hard to create an effective barrier. Their devotion, hope, or fear of reality would kill them if they kept going; they would die for a woman who was already dead.

“Celeste, now!” Jasper yelled from above just as a fist crashed against the door. Two years of fighting or fleeing and leaving others to advance myself, yet, now, I couldn’t turn away from the father and son. “Celeste, get your fucking ass on this table, or I will leave you!”

Jasper’s command jutted me from my thoughts at the same second doors burst open. The hordes bust through all the chairs with force and a scream filled the air. The son…I knew that voice belonged to the boy, but I had risked enough. Game’s over. I climbed the rest of the way as chairs were thrown and more screams continued. With one hand in Jasper’s reach, he lifted me quickly as a dead hand scrapped my shoe. Quickly, I kicked until free and flew up through the opening.

I fell inside the cramped 3’x3’ space when a voice called from below. “Please, lift me up!” This came from the woman. Sadly, I heard, but Jasper already had other plans. As soon as I was safe, he went back to the entryway and placed the screen across the opening, securing it in place with a zip tie. Jasper didn’t spare one last look at her. Instead, he picked up his machete and pointed it straight passed my head.

 

“Move now, Celeste.” 

End Notes:

Thanks for sampling, hope you enjoy and want more. Next chapter coming soon. 

Strange, Flow by EJBradley

Snap.

“Wake up, Celeste.” Jasper stood above me, topless with wet silky, black hair and exposed olive skin. “Go take a dip in the river so we can head out.” I watched as he turned away and ducked under some deerskin we found last night.

With a heavy breath, I stared as the crisp morning air turned it into fog and split away through the trees. It has been two frosty days since the hospital escape and I still couldn’t snap back from it. This time, Jasper rode me hard to escape the mob. We covered 20 miles before he allowed us to set up camp by this river and finally eat a meal. By his sunken eyes, and lack of sleep, I knew it shook him too, probably more than me.

I sat up and climbed from my nest of leaves and moleskin, and approached Jasper. “Can I have the soap?” I asked to his back. Something unnerved me while I stood there, staring at his tall broad back. A chill lingered in the air that didn’t come from the weather.

He turned quickly, his eyes looked passed my head, yet his hand held out the soap. Resigned, I reached for the bar, but Jasper held on. “I did what I had to...for us, Celeste. “ New sad brown eyes finally fell on me and the remorse struck a chord. He never cared in the past, we never cared; something changed.

“I know,” I replied back, yet his hold tightened.

“I would never do that to you. You can trust me.” He brought a hand to my cheek and caressed. I leaned into his warmth.

“I do trust you, always.” With my declaration, he let go and looked toward the river. I took one last glance at his beautiful, yet scarred face and walked to the slow moving water.

Relationships in this new world were nearly extinct. People had too many things to worry about; risks had to be taken, patience was a must and spontaneous decisions couldn’t exist. Jasper and my friend were great examples. In Brooklyn, they were serious and heavy, one never left the other and they shared everything. They were the golden couple; we all looked up to them. So it seemed easy to follow them when we all left the city, but then the struggles came. Simple arguments about where we should go, what tactics we should take, soon morphed into lying, cheating, and even stealing. While I loved my friend, she was a constant reminder of the world we once lived; she couldn’t take or want the pressures of leadership, or survival. On the other hand, Jasper regaled in the role; the reason I still lived was because of him.  By the time of her death, they barely spoke to each other, and when she got infected he barely cried.

Along the road, I heard it was the same with most couples. They died together, stayed alive apart, or more hauntingly, killed each other.  Trust was broken between couples in post war Z. Survival required far too many choices, without worrying about a girlfriend.  Quickly, everyone adapted to the “no attachments of the heart” way of life. It was easier to fuck and leave.

“Don’t stay in too long, the water’s cold.” Jasper stood along the bank, fully clothed in black cargo pants, a gray knit sweater, and his favorite brown leather boots.  He sat leisurely with his hunting knife on one thigh and his handgun on the other. When he settled, those whiskey eyes  came to me, watched all of me, and I smiled. We were each other’s solution to our sexual urges. The first night we indulged in each other, I was on such a high from the thrill. He was the cookie I snatched out the jar and got away with. We stumbled by a group of campers, and normally we would keep on, but the sounds that rose from the campfire brought out a craving in both of us.  An hour later, we camped and Jasper proposed a deal; scratch when itched. It surprised me how quickly I accepted.

 “I know,” I answered, allowed his eyes to take in my nude chest; I looked toward our packed campground. We didn’t carry much, but Jasper was exceptionally well at packing. The disheveled ground appeared normal, our bags were stock with the few belongings we carried, and our weapons laid close to his hand.

“The kid would’ve been good for us. Another set of eyes…” he suddenly spoke the truth. Fall’s weather failed to ease us into the coldness; the trees lost their leaves by now. One could look for miles through skinny trunks and bare branches. We were left unprotected.  “…at least for an extra set of eyes.” The old man’s boy was an asset, however he was crazy in making, and anyone would be hesitant to travel with a certifiable killer.

Quickly, I made use of the river and soaped my top half before venturing down south. Rivers were the little luxurious in this world; I made sure to take advantage and be thorough.  The cold water engulfed my hand as it slid between my thigh. I cupped myself to examine how unruly I’ve become, only to discover something worse. Two fingers broke the water’s surface displaying red. Fuck, we were in trouble.

Immediately, I ran out of the water and snatched the deerskin from jasper’s side.  In haste, I dried off. Jasper asked no questions and took out his machete, scanning the water. “Turn around, I’m bleeding,” I answered with a tampon already in hand and clothes beside my bag.  

Instead, he took a quick scan of my body. “From two nights ago…?”

“No…menstrual,” I said, and waved the small package. Twelve times out of the year, women faced an exceptionally hard existence in this new world. The smell of blood was a beacon for the undead; if they smelt it, they would definitely come find it. It was weird how fate worked now; I was born to breed new human life, and now I bleed to nourish another existence.

“Fuck…how long?” Immediately, the rustling of his bag echoed through the clearing as he shoved loose items inside.

“Just started, I would’ve known beforehand.” Jasper swung the pack on his back and then scanned the river for any sign of a threat. Since I just started we had time on foot to get away, however my blood carried downstream by the river would fuel any Zs in the water to swim upwards. “There’s a town a mile from here; nothing big. We’ll find a farmhouse with a cellar on the outskirts and hole up for a couple of days. If we move fast you’re bleeding will slow down, but we’ll still need to check out the highway for danger.”

I nodded slowly. The risks were higher this time, and I had to play it smart. A year ago, we traveled the whole time of my period. Constant movement slowed down the bleeding for me, allowed us to keep a lot of distance from the Zs. However, we’re different, too tired to survive at this rate. We were mentally broken, a state we had never faced before.

Two hours, it took to get to the highway. Jasper, the first to break through the tree line, suggested that I stayed back for look out. The deserted road was empty, except for the random stray car, and a few dead animals. Jasper crept slowly toward the middle, his machete high, and looked East and West for any sign.  I waited in the shadows, my bow and arrow focused on the surrounding area. With a decision made, he ran back to me. Kissed by my bow, I met him halfway took a look for myself; nothing.

“You think everyone got a clear escape out of here?” he asked, searched once more.

“I don’t think there was many to begin with,” I said, eyes on the crooked welcome sign with a population of three thousand. “This would be our best bet.” He nodded and ushered for me to take the lead.

Once in a while Jasper allowed me to take control over finding a campout. Small towns were the best training ground for me. Smaller populations meant less risk; most people evacuated while they could and empty highways were proof.

We followed the welcome sign, walked along the patch of forest until the trees cleared. Farm houses were scattered on the other side of empty fields. Those were the best places to camp out, but my instinct had to choose. We walked for another hour before sighting the town in front of us. It was completely deserted; strangely empty. “We should stay a mile or two away,” Jasper spoke for the first time since I took the reins.

“I know, it’s just everything feels awkward, you know. Like nothing’s right for us. Maybe we should skip this town.” While the risks with a deserted town lessened than a bigger city, dangers still lurked. No longer was the fear placed on Zs, but people. Since the war, most became wanderers; many bandits and prisoners were let out of jail. They were the first to rally and raid together. They were also the people you tried to avoid. Thugs prayed on the weak, stole everything you had and raped the women once you felt safe. Jasper received his first injury from fighting of a group of misfits. They sliced his abdomen. I was left with two black eyes. “That one, “ I said, pointed to a red and white farmhouse.

It sat by itself in the middle of a field, with a large tree behind it. It looked relatively vacant from here, no boards on the windows or doors. I searched for a vehicle next, since most still traveled by car. “I think it’s good.”

“Okay. Let’s close in.” In our usual formation, Jasper and I 20ft apart, we approached like you would a sleeping stray dog. Even though there was no evidence of people or any Zs, you had to be positive. Places like this had cellars, and cellars were perfect for a scared family.

Jasper walked around the property, looked for a way in, and came up successful. “There’s a window that’s unlocked.”

“Did you see any inhabitants?”

“No, but it definitely has a basement.” He smiled.

“Perfect,” I replied.

He climbed into the window first and checked out the inside before helping me up. We entered through the kitchen, climbed right over a porcelain sink. Immediately, we took sides of the first level and checked out the rooms. My paths lead me through a small, dark library that was tidy and untouched. The mahogany shelves displayed rows of immaculate legends, law books, and gilded bibles. My mind started to driff; imaginations of the previous owner’s life flashed before my eyes.

“Clear!” The sound of Jasper’s voice sent me back to reality and I moved toward the living room. Much like the library everything was in order with a thick layer of dust.  Jasper entered the room, his machete by his side and a smile on his face.  “It seems to be completely empty, even the front door is locked.”

“Maybe they went out in search of something,” I turned toward the window. The view was stunning, with acres and acres of untouched land and mountains. 

“Maybe, but nothing’s lived in. No boarded up doors or windows. The rooms upstairs are exactly the same. We should check out the basement.”

With the assistance of a flashlight, we walked through a vast space with cement floors and shelves along the walls. It was a typical man’s work space along one wall and a crafts area along another. We figured that the owners were elderly and escaped while they had the strength. For us, this was good because we had the perfect set up.

“I’m going to go to the kitchen to gather whatever I can. You should stay down here and map my footsteps. Also look for light sources.”

“Sure,” I replied.

We spent most of the morning fixing up the basement to be a great spot for us. All the bedrooms provided us enough padding and blankets to be comfortable for the floor. Most of the cabinets were empty in the kitchen, so food was a problem, but that seemed to be the only one. There were also bags of soil and pots that would be good to bury anything we didn’t want to smell. Upon a good inspection that we had everything we needed from the house, Jasper began to gear up. “We need food. I should go into town and look for something.”

“Alone,” I piped up from the crafts station. My fingers moved across the ten candles I lit.

“What, you thought you were coming with me? Remember we’re hiding out because you’re going to attract them,” he spoke down to me.

“I’m not an idiot, but we didn’t sweep the town. What if it’s not the dead this time and I was wrong  about this town?

“…And what if you were right. We need food and medical supplies, and with you bleeding, we have no choice.”

Astonished by his dedication to leaving, I spun away from the wall of yarns and candles to look at him. He squinted in the light of my flashlight, but I could see he was ready to go. “This is ridiculous, Jasper! We have enough rations to last a couple of days. You can’t go…”

Jasper quickly covered the distance between us and stood in front of me. Under lit whiskey eyes looked down at me with worry, but also strength. He towered me by five inches, but it seemed greater. “Wouldn’t you rather eat beans, or rice; chicken and curry sauce; even fruit. I long to catch a glimpse of what sweet pineapples would taste on my lips…or yours.” His head bent low and lips captured mine instantly.

I didn’t fight him; encouraged him to suck me in. Hands began to wander between us and before long I was up against a wall, my legs around his waist and his hand in my hair.

“Let me go now, so I can get back,” he spoke into my lips, slowly bit on my tongue.

Out of breath and words, I nodded my resignation. He stepped away gently with one kiss to my forehead. I watched as he climbed the stairs, before I picked up my hand gun, and bow.

“I’ll only be gone for no more than three hours. Okay?” He said and slipped out the kitchen window and run across the fields. I watched with my gun at eye level, securing his safety until he was out of my sight. Then I turned away and walked straight to the grandfather clock in the hallway, counting down to his return.

***

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding…

The soft chime of the clock brought me from the master closet, down the steps and to the front window. Jasper was still gone and it’s been five hours. The house had to be only twenty minutes from the city center at most, and he had a direct plan. Why wasn’t he back, I thought.

Soon my feet no longer followed my brain. I was fully dressed with my weapons tucked against my body and bow at my back. Following after Jasper, I climbed through the window and ran as fast as I could to the main street.

Silence never seemed so loud until you walked down a deserted town by yourself. Many thoughts went through my head as I stayed close to the cover of the buildings. The stench of the undead marked them here, but I didn’t want to cross out a human ambush either. I viewed the city through the eye of a killer, my Archery Razorback as a companion; however I hoped I had no reason to use it.

Brick buildings upon brick buildings slowly spiked my anxiety and I crossed another one without sight of Jasper. I looked for a market or convenience store and passed nothing. Once I approached a barber shop, only to stop abruptly when I noticed movement inside. Strapped to a chair was a Z with his mouth hanging off his jaw and black blood oozed from his cuffed arms.

Suspicious, my immediate danger became booby traps. If there was a tied up Z, then someone had to put him there. I approached the corner of an intersection and cursed when approached by three options. I looked ahead through  a pair of magnifying glasses and ruled out the street in front of me. I turned to my right and looked down that street and saw a market, but no sign of Jasper. With one last hope, I looked down the street to my left and paused. Something familiar was left on the sidewalk. It was Jasper’s jacket. “Shit…” this time I couldn’t hold in my disappointment. With stealth and grace, I decided to approach. Upon closer inspection I noticed it was outside of a drug store. The windows to the building were smashed in and the darkness inside gave way to my darkest fears. I would be blind to any dangers inside.  Sent a silent prayer up to the blood red sky, I mustered up what courage I had left and placed one foot on the other side of the window.

On the balls of my feet, I avoided the shards of glass littered the floor and found quick sanctuary along a wall. The aisles in the shop were still standing albeit mostly empty, showed no sign of life or death. I waited, listened, and then heard scratching toward the back of the store. What seemed like a small hole in the wall from outside proved to be long and narrow. Suddenly, I noticed the stench of the undead. There were a lot. With watered eyes, I inched closer to the first aisle. A round mirror hung from the back ceiling that I used to my advantage. I watched with bated breath as a group surround a restroom door. I crept down the aisle until I was at the back of the store and only a few rows from the door. Through the mirror I counted the Z’s heads. Twenty of those fuckers clawed and pushed for a meal. Shit, I thought, and chills crept up my spine.

Jasper and I have never faced this many, in such tight quarters before. There was no easy escape and I knew I had to think quickly before they smelled me. Suddenly, I threw out our signature bird call. Early on, we learned that the Zs avoided anything that sounds like birds. I guess it was because they could never catch them. Jasper was the one to suggest we use the sounds. We made a whole language out of bird noises and hand symbols.

I imitated the black-capped Chickadee once more, and tried to listen over the sounds of the Zs. Nothing. “Shit,” I cursed. I knew I had to get closer, but I was too afraid. I looked up to the ceiling and instantly saw speakers. Maybe…

Inching back from the mob, I made my way to back to the front. I looked toward the register counter on the other side of the store and prayed. On the count of three, I ran…fast.

It took me two seconds to figure out the intercom system and two more seconds to get over the shock that it still worked. Mentally prepared, I called out again, and surprised myself with the clarity of it. But it was loud. I ducked down close to the floor as I heard a shuffle…and then more. Fuck the sound was too loud. Now I had some of their attentions, which was not good. As the thought of running entered my mind, I heard it; a whistle from the back. It wasn’t the same animal as me but it didn’t matter, Jasper was in that closet and now I had to get him out.

The shuffling was slow but still approached and I knew once they scented me, I would be good as dead, so I instantly looked for a diversion. I pulled my hand gun out and pointed it toward the open window. If I could anything that would loud, maybe they would run outside…but I couldn’t find anything. Instantly I looked for another option, I trick I learned in a store a while back. 

All stores like this had to have a fire extinguisher and once I hit it, it would explode, fog up and fly. The only thing I needed it to shoot for the street. With the stench near and their haggard noise sharper, I made haste and position the gun through a  hole and wished on luck. “ONE…TWO…THREE”

 

BANG!!!

End Notes:

Once again, thank you for reading. Hope you enjoyed. 

Stranger by EJBradley
Author's Notes:

Sorry for the wait, and thanks for the reviews.

BANG!!!

With a deafening explosion the extinguisher combusted, and clattered along the floor, ceiling, and aisles, but it remained in the store. Quickly, the mist spread wide like fingers reached to smother fast to the front of the store. I position the Smith & Wesson toward the front window and prayed for another target. Within seconds I found it. Shiny and proud, the icon for safety and relief from a hot summer’s day was in my range. The street’s fire hydrant, painted as red as a bull’s target, would be perfect. Instantly, I counted the way Jasper showed me and set off two shots before blanketed by the extinguisher. Hidden by sight and watching through a crack under the desk, I counted the shoes and shoeless feet race past me. “Eighteen, nineteen, twenty…”

I waited five seconds, before I jumped up from the floor, and rounded the register counter and ran. Once again, I used the surveillance mirrors to double check, before I race to the bathroom door.  “Jasper, fuck, shit’s real, come out.” I spoke through a crack and reached for the handle, but it was missing. “Smart, but stupid idea for anyone to save you,” I whispered. Instantly, I pulled out a Leatherman multi-tool kit I stole for a vacant hardware shop and flicked the pliers out.  I went to work on that lock, and reluctantly, the door moved from its threshold. Sweaty hairs on the back of my neck stood as I looked inside and immediately, I realized my mistake. Inside wasn’t Jasper, but a tied up stranger.

“Help me, please…” the man whispered through parched lips. However, my body wouldn’t move; everything screamed for me to back away. “…help me,” he ordered. And suddenly the faces of the father and son at the hospital, mixed with the voice of the mother appeared. Any other time I would’ve left, but I just couldn’t, especially when I realized what trapped him.

I moved closer and he watched me with wary eyes. Adjusted the Leatherman to its scissor setting, I studied the toilet handle. A beat up Union Jack belt, identical to Jasper’s, while my companion’ signature knot captured two bloody wrists. “Who tied you here?” Angry blue eyes looked at me, but he didn’t answer. Instead of freeing him, I stood and turned away. I made to walkout when he shouted as answer.

“Some guy I don’t know.” He stopped there and with nothing else to go by, I went back to task at the toilet handle. As soon as his limps arms were free, I stepped back and allowed him room to stand. Slowly, his muscular body moved from the floor and I realized how big he was. My height of five-nine was nothing to his six-four, and while I was a curvy girl chick, he was pure muscle. From his boot-clad feet to his close shaven sandy brown hair, I took it all in, but it was the dog chain around his thick neck that confirmed it. Military…

As long as we traveled we never crossed paths with military. There were many stories about them, tons from whoever came in contact with us, but no one ever saw them. Some stories said that the military was hidden in underground bunkers to wait out the war; others say they sailed to sea with a shitload of rich people; more plausible was that they were holed up on bases, preparing sanctuary and to fight. No matter what tale, people fought to get to whatever base was closer, and even though some invited us along, Jasper thought it was better to follow our own dreams.  As I looked at this damn near, perfect war specimen, I wondered if the stories were true.

At that this point military man stared beyond me. Suddenly, his eyebrows knit together and his eyes shot to me; his whole composure did a 180. Once helpless, now, he grabbed my hand and dragged me from the room. Without a plan, or any assistance, I was at his mercy. We exited the bathroom as I yanked my arm out of his hand, but the scent of Z’s were strong.  He noticed as well and grabbed my hand again. This time he pointed toward a doorway, and I understood his escape plan. I allowed our fingers to intertwined, as he bolted along the back wall. I stayed on his heels as we slipped pass double swing doors and took a right. He kept going fast; half carried me if I slowed. Walls covered with empty shelves, the back room seemed much smaller than the store, yet it contained several walls and doorways. Broken windows at the ceiling brought in enough light for us to navigate, but I had a feeling military man already knew the lay out. With ease and calculated footing, we passed through three small rooms and ended up in a garbage room. He closed the door gently and locked it before looking around.

“What the fuck dude?” I breathed out, bent at the waist as he searched for something.

However, hard, cold eyes captured me in a deadly glare. “Shut up…or everything I just did will count for nothing.” He snapped in a hushed tone. Offended and confused, I placed as much distance as I could and searched for my own way out. There was a reason he was tied up.  

For a second, military man paused, his face softened and he took a deep breath.  With long legs, he took two strides and stood in front of me. “Thank you for saving me, and whatever you did drew them away, but they must’ve smelt me and were coming back.”

“Are you hurt?” I asked and he looked toward his abdomen. He wore a thick black vest over his olive shirt, so the injury was hidden from sight, but the bottom left corner was soaked. “Fuck, were you bitten?” I whispered, imagining his transformation and me stuck in the same room.


“No, he came from the front window,” he answered, but I was still screwed. There was too much blood for us to go unnoticed. We searched a common thought even though words weren’t needed; Millitary man went back to his search while I looked along the floor and wall. We were in a trash room, with several huge trash bins. We could hide in the waste bins, but that wouldn’t last long, or we could…

My eyes landed on a small hidden door in the wall. Trash remnants littered the floor below it and constant spillage left a trail between the garbage cans and the door. It must be a shaft.  “There’s a shaft…” I spoke and turned to see him stare at me, a large black bag across his shoulders. “What’s that?”

“Weapons,” he answered brusquely.

“Oh okay…” I answered, partially shocked that a man so well armed got himself locked in a bathroom by Jasper. He must’ve seen the question in my eyes, yet he cleared his throat and sent a narrow gaze toward the wall. “It has to be a shaft, and right now, our only way out.”  Blue eyes continued their inquiry, before he approached the door. He opened it slowly, with slight difficulty. The metal frame screamed against the assault, but he only sped up his movements.

“I won’t fit.” Finally, he spoke; he seemed perplexed by the option.

“Oh trust me, I’ll make you fit.” I responded and crossed the space to stand behind him. I drew out my flashlight and used it to illuminate the hole. I shivered under his calculated stare. “What is it?”

“The boy who tied me up…you came for him?” and I paused. With his expression masked and his voice level, I didn’t know which way I should take it. I tried to think what Jasper would do, but then I remembered his belt knotted around someone’s wrist, using them as bait.

Just as I felt the tension rise, a bang resonated from the other side of the door. The Zs found us. This was enough to interrupt the topic and force us into action. Military man gestured for me to enter first and I did with speed. I discovered the missing bottom quickly, and held on for dear life to a cable. My feet came next as I swung them towards the opposite wall and held them flat against the surface. “We need to climb with only rope…ahh...” Interrupted, I screamed as another bang came, this time the door cracked. We only had seconds.

“Climb!” The militant yelled. There was a shuffling from the room and suddenly the guy’s head and broad shoulders popped through. Blinded by his headlamp, he yelled for me to climb again.

“There’s no floor, and my arms are killing me,” I called out; my arms shook from supporting most of my weight. However, I couldn’t protest for long, before a crash filled the room and the sound of them was deafening. Fuck…fuck…not again, I thought. The man practically jumped inside. He snatched his bag through the hole, and started climbing.

“Climb!” he yelled. Despite the searing heat eating at my biceps, I move quickly; made room him. I took three steps upward; he cursed. I looked down to see him with one bulged arm on the cable, the other reached out and slammed the door shut, cutting off an undead’s hand in the process.

Incased in darkness with only light from below, his heavy breath was the only sign of him. “Lady, I need you to move right now. Could you do that for me?” I nodded, as if he could see, before I slowly raised on hand above the other.  

By the time we got to the second story door, blisters were on my palms and wetness signaled blood. The steel cable was coarse and unforgiving, neither of us stopped. “We have to get to the roof,” I ordered.

“The second floor is sealed off from the first, I checked. We can go…” he supplied but I dismissed it.

“No, I’m not. If you want to go the second floor, fine, but I don’t trust what’s sealed inside. “There was no answer, but I didn’t hear him stop, either. I passed the identical door as the first, and watched it disappear as we continued to climb. Dazed, tired, and bleeding, I collapsed after we exited through a torn and disheveled grate. However, the soldier went directly into defense mode, his gun out as he circled the roof. My lungs went through a brutal attack as I laid on my back and tried to calm myself. The sound of heavy boots alerted me to his footsteps.

As I took in my fill of the red sky and thick clouds, he called out ‘clear,’ and moved toward the ledge. “Look,” his words traveled to me with despair. I sat up, crawled over to the same ledge as him and looked over. I cursed. What started out as twenty, now doubled. Few were still by the fire hydrant, while others made their way into the store, or littered the street. At that instant, I saw something move across the street from us. Scared to see a Z on the roof top, I eased down and dropped to the floor. However, a sound caught my ear; the black-capped chickadee. Jasper.

More rhythmic to imitate a real bird, the second call came. Within seconds, I repeated the noise. I crawled to the center of the roof before I stood to see jacketless Jasper holding two bags and a full backpack. At this moment, I wanted to weep from the sight, but Jasper had already sent orders. He directed me to go to the right and over six roof tops.

Completely trusted in him, I did what he said without hesitation and was surprised when I heard the military man followed. Jasper, on the other hand, disappeared.  I continued, only to stop when I hit a burnt down building. The ruins fell right in the middle of the block, without bringing down its neighbors. Abruptly, I looked toward the first floor to notice a huge dried fire pit. Throughout bricks, cement, and wood pieces, fragments of human remains littered. I took one second to weigh my options and then dove in.

Careful not to make much noise, I used a charred barrier wall to climb down to the second floor. Creaky wood boards greeted my steps, but threatened to collapse in seconds. With no other escape, I edged toward the fire pit and looked for a soft landing spot. Only a six foot jump between me and the pile up, I jumped with my hands around my head and bent. “Uh…” I moaned in pain as the hard surfaced stab my stomach. The sound of movement had me up and surveying the first floor in seconds. Jasper appeared at what would have an entryway. Quickly, I made my way to his sweaty, dirty body.

“What the hell, Celeste?” He snared, and then his eyes went behind me. “You’ve got to be shitting me,” he slipped out and I could imagine who was behind us.  

“You locked him as bait, however I thought it was you. He whistled…” I explained, immediately. Harsh eyes came back to me, before he retorted.

“Fuck, you’re the reason for the shit ton of Zs. There’s more coming, we need to move.” He dismissed our new addition easily and turned to look of a chance to run. I, on the other hand, felt a stir of anxiety thinking about the guy.

“Jasper, we can’t leave him, not this time. “ I ran behind him and whispered. I knew that negotiating with two people bleeding was risky, but regret seeped deep into my resolve. “Look at him, he’s military. Also, he’s carrying a lot of things that can help us. He only has a scratch. I saw,” I begged and lied, while Jasper tensed up. We didn’t have much time for this life-or-death decision, but I refused to walk away from the stranger.

I stood my ground, chin up and arms folded; prayed my confidence pulled off.  With a deep breath, Jasper finally spoke, “fine, but he’s on you. If he slows us down, if he steals from us, or even try to kill us, I will blame you.” He paused and I nodded, fearful of his threat. However, he softened quickly and wiped a hand down his face. “Now, can we please get the hell out of here before the Zs find us?”

“Absolutely,“ I answered and sent him a smile of gratitude. Once he moved away, I spun around to look at the soldier, who stood about fifteen feet away, perched against one of the building’s walls. His warm, slightly curious, eyes met mine. His gaze never left me as I approached, nor did his position or expression change. “Come with us…” I spoke, quietly. Unsure of my trust in him and a little timid, I kept a five foot gap between us; my hand fingered the steel handle on my hunting knife. “…unless you’re with others,” I added.

“I’m alone.”

“Okay. Well, you’re hurt and I’m not bad at patching people up.” I looked over my shoulder at Jasper, who paced by the entry way. “He’s not bad either. It’s just, we lost…a lot. We don’t have anything more than each other right now. So it would be beneficial to everyone if we put our assets together; it’s not safe out here on your own anymore.”

I waited for an answer, but he stood silent. Occasionally he’s eyes flashed toward Jasper and back to me. Down to an inch of my last hope, he finally spoke. “Is this what you want?” The question caught me off guard; I opened my mouth but nothing escaped. He repeated his question, but this time he closed the distance. Now, he stood two feet apart from me. He limped, and I noticed how pale his skin was, and the yellow of his eyes. Slowly, his hands went to unzip his vest, lift his shirt, and exposed his abdomen. At first glance, there was only a mass of dried up blood along his stomach, but upon a closer inspection, I could make out a five inch wound. It looked to be sewn at wide gaps to keep it close, yet the swelling pushed against its closures.

“Jesus…” I whispered and looked at his face. Though I felt pain for him, he kept a blank façade; his eyes beyond my head. “Let me help you…”

Suddenly, he pulled his shirt down and I picked up on the sound of approaching footsteps. Jasper appeared within seconds, pissed off. “Since you guys decided to have a lovely time out session, we lost valuable time to escape and now the Zs stirring.” Jasper looked toward the other man. “You don’t have a choice, anymore. Let’s go.”

Within seconds and everyone in agreement to go to the farmhouse, we made a fast get away. With the assistance of the soldier, Jasper led us through back alleyways out of the town center, and then through small streets toward the fields. It was halfway across that the newcomer grew weak and Jasper nearly carried him the rest of the way. Once we made it back to the red and white house, we took to the kitchen window for entry. His rifle in hand, Jasper jumped through first and made sure it was still abandoned before the soldier followed suit, however a bad landing sent a hiss out of his mouth. Jasper helped me through and I ran to the man still on the floor, dark spots dripped from his shirt.

“Celeste, I’ll watch down here, while you go treat him in the bathroom. Make it fast, daylight’s almost gone.” True to his word, amber light crept higher along the walls as the sun set. Quickly, I helped the guy up, grabbed two jugs of distilled water from the pantry, and together we made haste to the bathroom.

“I need you to remove your shirt...” I addressed him as I pulled the last things from the medicine cabinet. Only a prescription painkiller and rubbing alcohol was left. I snuck a glance at the man and noticed bulging pecs and washboard abs. I followed his patch of dark hair down his abdomen to stop upon a revolver tucked into his waistband. “...and the weapon.” He looked confused as if he forgotten about it, and only when I pointed did his fingers slid around the handle and he pulled it out.

With a towel in hand, I uncapped one of the jugs and poured water all over the rag. I began to clean the surrounding area, then replaced the water with rubbing alcohol. Ever couple of rubs, I would hear the hiss, but mainly his quick intake of breaths were the only signs of pain. As soon as I could see his skin, I throw down the towel and picked up another rag. I put more alcohol on it and told him to disinfect the wound while I get a needle and thread.

With a grind of his teeth and a little nod, I left him alone and ran to the basement. By memory, I ran to the crafts table and turned on my flashlight. Frantically, I searched for sewing supplies and came up empty. Thinking that they could be in a bedroom, I ran back to the first floor to see Jasper with his hand out to me. “Looking for this?” he asked and I looked down to see a thin needle and a spool of black thread.

“Thank you.” I whispered and took off. I made it upstairs in time to see the injured guy leave the bathroom. He went into the master bedroom and instantly dropped onto the bed. I followed after, only to hear Jasper enter seconds behind me.

“I’m here to help, with a little assistance.” In his hand was a bottle of Scotch, unopened and by the looks, extremely expensive. Jasper tore through the wrapping paper and opened the bottle. He sat next to the soldier and spread his lips wide. “Hey buddy, I need you to drink.” The other guy nodded, before he gulped down three sips. At that time I went to work on his wound.

It took less than twenty minutes for us to patch him and everyone down to the basement. Once the soldier was settled on a makeshift bed, Jasper and I locked down the first floor, made sure to keep everything as it was when we entered, except for the kitchen window; Jasper locked it.

As soon as we closed and locked ourselves into the basement, we were submersed in darkness. With the help of my flashlight, I found the candles and lit one. After being submersed in darkness, Jasper lit two candles. “Only light one, and place on the opposite side of the room than where we are.” The soldier called through the black.

“Why?” I asked, suddenly.

“Because if anything does come in, it will be drawn by the light, and over there, it gives us time to react.” I wasn’t surprised by his knowledge; I knew he held many tricks for us to learn, however, I was shocked by his consciousness. With only my period, I was barely awake from the events of today. After, I followed his advice; I made my way over to my mattress pad and spread low. Jasper sat next to me against the wall, ready to cover the first shift.

 

I stared at him, his face covered with shadows from the candlelight, and said “Thank you.” I turned away before I could see his expression and snuggled into my makeshift pillow. I closed my eyes when I felt a soft brush against my cheek. “Good night,” he whispered and his sweet words lulled me to sleep. 

End Notes:

Thanks for reading, hope you like our new character!

He, Who Watches by EJBradley
Author's Notes:

Thank you for reading and Happy Halloween. Because of the holiday, I thought I'd give you a little treat and update super early. I hope you enjoy!

****

A strange gnarl fetched me from sleep; I jumped up scared, gun in hand. The room was darker and except for the growl, a strange silence filled the space. A pungent stench of decaying meat and vomit burnt the hair in my nostrils, my eyes water from the combination.  I made no sudden movements, only tilted my head in the direction of Jasper’s mat, but it was vacant. The sound came again.

I moved to pinpoint the creature, but hands across my stomach and mouth stopped me. In the dark the perpetrator was hidden. “Shh…it’s Jasper,” he whispered and turned my head towards the other side of the room. The first thing I noticed was slowly dying light.

The barely lit candle illuminated a huge shadow near the furthest wall. By torn clothes and his sheer mass, I knew it was the Z. Discreetly; I slid out my knife and put the gun down on the blanket, before I remembered our stranger. I glanced across the room toward his makeshift bed to notice it was empty. Before I could ask Jasper, movement caught my attention. Not another, I prayed. Zeroed in on the figure crouched down behind the Z, I noticed it seemed frozen. With a sharp, blunt knife high, and metal knuckles across his fist, I knew it had to be the soldier. However, he watched the creature, instead of kill it.  

Time stopped as we all watched the Z. He seemed normal, smelled like the rest of them, but there was something peculiar in his behavior. It just stood there, mesmerized by the dancing light, and then it happened. The thing reached down with two fingers and extinguished the flame.

Instantly, we were all in darkness. I gasped and Jasper’s hand tightened around my mouth. At the same time, I heard the cry of the creature before the recognizable sound of a knife through hard, cold flesh. There was a thump on the floor which I figured was the Z’s head. Something heavy and metallic dragged along the floor and I heard the soldier grunt. I swallowed the urge to run to his side and see if he was okay, but survival stopped me.  It was important in these following seconds that no sound was made. It was weird to see a lone Z nowadays, and if he wasn’t alone then his cry was enough to alert others. So you wait and listen for the sounds of their heavy footsteps.

And we waited.

The lamp was ignited seconds later, and soldier melted back in the shadows against the wall. Amazed, I looked at Jasper for validation that he saw the prior events and like me, he was wide eyed. Not only were these things changing strategies but they were getting smarter; first with doorknobs, now with light.

When the war first started, the undead was only after food. They obsessed over it and would do anything for the taste of warm blood. Then over the months, they changed. Like moving in packs, they became curious, even observers. Jasper and I first noticed by their killing strategies. Instead of attacking us immediately, they ran us in circles, contained us to certain areas and waited for us to tire out before pouncing. This was what they did in the hospital. However, there were other times where they would try and separate us too. Now, I just watched a Z completely devoted to extinguishing a light. Somehow he overcame his drive for food to put us in darkness, where Zs used scent and killed best in pitch black.

After what felt like hours, our stranger slid around the bookshelf I slept behind and dropped down next to me. “He came from a cellar door along the far wall,” he whispered, his breathy words carried to Jasper.

“Is it secure?” Jasper asked.

“Yeah, I put a metal bar in the latch after I threw his body outside,” the soldier answered. With security back, we stayed silent after that. My ears strained to listen over the labored breaths from the soldier. Eventually, he told us he wasn’t hurt beside his injury from the glass, and that was the last thing he said. When offered assistance with cleaning his wound, he declined quietly and sagged against the wall.  I told them both that I would take watch, but no one could fall asleep after that. The Z got too close for comfort and thanks to this mysterious stranger, Jasper and I was saved.

***

Morning came only by the slight noise of the grandfather clock upstairs. None of us had moved from our spots, and the boys eventually fell asleep. However, I kept true to my word and stayed up. The flickering light of the candle held my attention, even though the ethereal silence caused anxiety. I kept replaying the scene over and over again, and grew angry that I was the last to wake up. I didn’t even hear the Z enter, or saw a cellar door when we checked the basement earlier. It was failures like that which would be our death, and this was the second mistake I made since being in charge.

Through dim light, my eyes went over to the stranger. With trepidation, I lingered on his face. Strong cheekbones accented long eyelashes and full lips. Though his hair was trimmed, a five o’clock shadow grew along his jaw and neck. My eyes lingered on his face for a couple of seconds, but trailed down to the shirt he wore. S.E.A.L. was embroidered across his right chest.  The stranger was a Navy SEAL. It was strange that such a talented soldier wandered on his own and so far from any base. Where was he from?

My eyes lowered to his injured stomach, the padding bulged against his cotton shirt. Suddenly, a throat cleared. I looked back up, frozen in his striking blue eyes. A sharp intake of breath had my lungs on ice, yet my groin burned with instant hunger.  Somehow my insides craved this man more than anything even though we just met, and Jasper was my supplement. This, could not happen.

The low rumble of the soldier’s voice sent a vibration through me and jolted me out of the trance. Embarrassed, I spun away and stood to stretch. I placed distance between me and the boys, enough that I was across the room. With my back to the bookshelf, I tried to ignore the hiss and shuffle the man made. Heavy footsteps allowed me to trace his path over to the candle, and I only had to turn my head a small fraction to see clearly.

His shirt was up to examine his bandages, but my eyes lingered on the sculpted muscles kissed by the amber light.  Arms up, I reminded myself of my predicament with Jasper, and blamed my urge on hormones. Quickly, I moved to a small space we deemed as a bathroom and cleaned myself. The extra time spent was to calm and talk myself out of attractions to this newcomer. Once finished, I crossed to a corner with potted soil and buried my waste. The stranger followed.

“Does burying your bloody things work?” he asked; stood closer than I was ready for.

I made haste of my job and turned to see him with his soiled wrappings. “Yes. We were crossing D.C. and all those crazies who protested at the white house, well, they’re all Zs now.  Jasper buried himself in between trees and the mob walked right over him.”

“Really, was he bleeding too?” He stepped closer; the light from behind him had me in his shadow.

“No, but I was,” I answered, realized we did this during my last period. “Around this time last month, we buried ourselves among the dirt, and we’re still alive.” His stared intensely at me, before nodded and moved toward a pot. He was silent while he finished up; I rose and went back to yoga.

In the midst of a downward facing dog, “Thank you,” was whispered close to me. I turned my head hard enough to flip my hair out of my face and spotted him against the wall. He watched me.

“You’re welcome, but we are even.” I dropped to my knees and stood. “You saved our lives this morning.” He made no sign that he heard so I moved closer. “You’re lucky. Jasper never takes people in…”

“Nope, he just ties up the wounded and leaves them for bait.” I blanched at the harsh reality. What should I say to that? Sorry doesn’t seem right when Jasper did what any one would do. In a sense we all used someone as bait to survive. “ I’m sorry, that wasn’t meant to make you feel bad.”

“Who are you?” I requested. His shoulders straightened and those blues eyes looked at me in earnest, but that was the only expression he let show. “Where did you come from? Are you alone? Why?” All at once, I couldn’t hold back my questions and just attacked. It was only when I was out of breath did I stop.

Fully erect; feet together and folded arms, he spoke, “I’m Buchanan, Michael Buchanan. I’m from…Georgia, and yes I’m alone.”

A thick southern accent crept into his husky voice, but it didn’t distract me from his failure to answer my last question. “So, he has a name, but why are you traveling alone?”

“Because I chose to,” he answered brusquely.

With narrowed eyes, I moved from next to him to stand in front of him. Even with the height difference, I mustered up my confidence and pinned him with a glare. “That’s it…?” I questioned but he stayed quiet. So I continue to stare and when I realized he wasn’t going to supply any more information, I decided to set an example. “That’s Jasper, I’m Celeste. We’re originally from New York City. We lost six friends on our journey, our families too, and we’ve never taken in a stray.”

While he had this whole conversation under control, it was my assault on his character that caused a reaction. He tilted his head slightly and smiled sarcastically, his shoulders shook lightly from laughter. “Well look around, we’re all strays now. Besides, you’re a long way from home down here in South Carolina, Celeste.”

“I know,” I snapped

His ill humor was gone, replaced by the blanket of despair and reality. “Where are you going?” he asked, quietly, aware of the weight of his words. It wasn’t smart to have a plan, that’s what most people believed now.  Plans or goals only resulted in disappointment or people’s death, however I disagreed. The reason I still fought everyday was because of the goal I set with friends at the beginning.

“One of my friends had a cabin at the beginning; it was somewhere her parents promised she goes if anything happened. Supposedly, it’s secluded on a lake. I’ve never there and my friend’s not around to describe it.  

“You’ve lost a lot of people?” He said, more of a statement than a question. I nodded, my mouth suddenly too dry to speak. “How old are you?”

“26, and you?”

“28.”

“Congrats,” I smiled. “Congrats, on making it to twenty-eight.” When he laughed this time it was filled with sweet sincerity.

“Thank you, same to you.”

At that moment, we heard noise from behind the bookshelf and watched as Jasper made his way from the back. He stood with his clothes askew and his hair stood on end.  Over the dim light, his eyes pause in scrutiny when they came to me.  “Any others?” he voiced generally, but an edge in his voice revealed his suspicions.

“No.” Michael answered.

“Any attempts?” Jasper pushed.

“None,” I replied, by then he was already on his way to the bathroom. I took his dismissal and grumpy attitude as a sign of a rough day. Taking advantage of the woken boys and security, I made my way back to a mat and slept.

****

“Oh my god, I never want to be underground ever again. I will fight twenty of those fuckers to just feel this glow on my beautiful skin. It should be a sin for me to have to hide it. Ask, Celeste. She’s can’t resist my ever-lasting Israelite tan,” Jasper’s statement bounced through the open window of the library and pulled me from my chair. It was a beautiful day; the unexpected heat brought back memories of summer, while the fall harvest created this ethereal world of out cornfields.

“Oh, and I thought it was all the hair,” Michael responded dryly.  As I smiled from the kitchen window at Jasper, who stood topless in the backyard, I noticed that Michael didn’t wear the same attire. He was over the grill in a black tank and olive cargo pants. Unlike Jasper, his pale skin glowed in the sunlight and his hair, a sandy brown with blonde highlights.

 “Are we having a picnic?” I asked, decided to join the boys and cherish the light while I could.

We’ve been up since the grandfather clock chimed ten times. Michael was the first to rise, I’m sure he woke up hours before. He was also the first to climb the cellar steps and break down our barrier. Three days holed up was too much for him, he explained. I, on the other hand, felt comfortable underground; slept the deepest I can remember since the war began. Jasper was slow to move, his cranky attitude only worsened; we were all keen to spread away from each other.

While I opened the windows and explored the library, Michael left for a run and Jasper chilled outside under the rays. It was a perfect day, one that many killed to have more of nowadays.

 “Well, Buchanan thought that fresh protein would be a great meal before we hit the road again,” his words laced with sarcasm. Hunting was Jasper’s weak spot and one that I excelled in. Ironically, he always wanted to carry the bow and arrow, while I carried the rifle.

“Oh really,” I snickered, and climbed down short kitchen steps toward the sunshine.

Arms spread out and head tilted back, I stood there taking in whatever rays I could; my body soaked in Nature’s energy. The smell of cooked meat and vegetables sent my stomach rumbling. It craved a meal, no more pork and beans over candlelight. “Smells good.” I turned toward Michael and he brought his gaze to mine.

“Would smell better if I had better wood,” he answered modestly, and I blushed.

 Not to be forgotten, Jasper snickered at that moment. “What is it?” I asked him and approached.

“Oh, it smells good…” he mocked me, and sat up on his arms to give me a better view of his six-pack. “You don’t even like meat.” Laughter escaped but failed to reach his eyes. Embarrassed, I flipped him the bird as he blew me a kiss.

“That’s not true,” I said toward Michael, but his eyes avoided me. “I just don’t trust when this ass cooks anything.”

“Really, because after all of my cooking, I’m still alive and healthy. You wouldn’t want that?” Jasper snapped out and dismissed the conversation quickly. He flipped over on to his stomach and closed his eyes. Sudden rage had my blood boiling and suddenly I wanted retaliation. So I picked up the first thing I saw and threw it at his head.

“Owww…what the fuck?” he yelled and immediately, I ran back  inside the kitchen. He jumped up to chase after me, but stopped midway through the door as an arrow flew right by his head and hit a bundle of straw outside.  “Really, Celeste!”

“Oops, sorry. It slipped,” I feigned innocence as Jasper swore and talked about soiled drawers.

“I don’t know why I keep you alive. Next time, you’re on your own from a mob of those Zs,” was Jasper’s parting words. I came out the kitchen, allowed room for Jasper to pass without hitting me. Then I remembered the soldier. Michael watched intensely, and I realized my third mistake. I let a stranger see my hidden skill, and now he was intrigued. Hurriedly, I retrieved my arrow and went to put it away.

“Catch!” Michael yelled. Caught off guard and terrified, I swung around with arrow aimed and hit the moving target. It was a tomato.

“Jesus Christ.” I cursed, while as he continued to stare; his poker face back.

I threw the tomato back, but he caught it like he was a Pro ball player. “You’re good. Have you always had this skill?”

“No,” I barked and returned toward the cellar door.

“Wait! Where did you learn then?”

“I picked it up when we first started traveling.” Really, a friend was the archer of the group, and when she died, I took her weapons. “You know that wasn’t funny, scaring me. I thought a Z jumped.”

“And you think I would just watch it attack you.”

“I don’t know you, so I wouldn’t know what you would do. For all I know, you could be some radical and let a Z kill me so you can steal all our stuff.” Yes, I was being childish and mean, but it’s true. Even though we spent days together in one underground room, he barely said a word. All we knew is that he was military before the war and now he’s alone. I know it sounds crazy, but if anything would happen, it’s easier to kill someone when you’re not empathic. “My aim could’ve been horrible and I killed you.”

Michael snickered and flipped over the meat. “You’re aim’s not bad, so don’t fuck with me.”

I blanched at his words, but didn’t let the intimidation show. He said it with such nonchalance that I feared I imagined it but then after seconds of silence he looked up at me. In those blue eyes I was so fascinated with, I saw confirmation. A thought ran through me and I knew he felt the same. If I didn’t lie to him, then he wouldn’t lie to me. That was trust, and that could potentially be dangerous.  

I dropped my eyes away from him and turned to leave, but I could feel his stare. My feet took me in the right direction of the cellar, but my mind refused to let me go. He wanted trust, and I couldn’t understand why with me. In this threesome, I was the weakling; he would be better off with Jasper. The man did manage to tie him up, and yet, he wanted to know what I could offer. Without my mind fully on board, my body moved so quickly and expectantly, I shot an arrow in his direction. With a thump, the green feather at the end bobbed out of the huge oak tree behind Michael, who was left with a line of blood along his cheek. A soft wind blew his words past quickly and by his blank expression I could’ve easily missed it, but I didn’t, I heard every word. “Like I said, don’t fuck with me.”

 

 

End Notes:

Dun Dun Dun...What do you think about our new addition now? Let's hope Celeste doesn't tangle in anyone's web. Thanks again. 

Michael by EJBradley
Author's Notes:

Steamy things ahead, beware. 

“Jasper,” I called, once I climbed to the second landing. By the open door, he was done in the house’s bathroom, but it seemed vacant. “Jasper…” I called again.

“The back room,” he answered and I followed his voice. I reached the doorway to see Jasper submersed in paisley and polyester from the bedroom’s window treatment. He was clad in his fighting clothes, ready to hit the road; Jasper stood out from the obnoxious yellow hued wallpaper. At my silence, he glanced over and surveyed my summer dress. “Are you going to stay in that?” he smiled.

“Yes, I going for the distressed damsel look,” I joked.

He laughed, and offered a hand toward me. “Come here.” I obeyed and stepped into his hug. Arms around his waist and head on his shoulder, we turned back to the view of the backyard and beyond. “Jasper,”

“Yes…?”

“Do you think things will ever feel normal again?” His head shifted, to allow a kiss against my forehead. I moved closer into his embrace and warmth.  The soldier couldn’t offer me comfort in familiarity.

“Like before the war?” he asked.

“No, I don’t think that’s possible, but maybe like this.” He chuckled with understanding and squeezed me tighter.

“Like us staying in this house, hiding out in the basement?” He laughed and I poked him in retaliation. “Hey, I’m not saying it’s a silly idea,” he explained. Both arms wrapped around my waist and he moved behind me. “I would love to stay here, plant some vegetables, clean this place up, do the works, but that’s not in our future.”

“We can’t run forever,” I responded seldom, turned from the view to gaze at him. His soft hazel eyes captured me in a heated expression. My fingers moved up his arm to slide around his neck. I played with the little curls at the base, and smiled when chills spread through his body. Jasper tightened his hold on my waist and took a step forward. My back hit the window, and his hands lowered to my thigh. “Uhh…” I moaned as he lifted me and slid closer. “Jasper?”

“Mmhmm…” his attention was on the fastest way to slide my underwear off.

“I don’t want to run anymore…” I whispered, like a timid child. He paused, eyes met mine.

“Not forever…I’ll make sure you don’t have to run forever.” He stepped closer, left no room for air. A deep moan escaped my lips as the burn of carnage returned. “You believe me, right?”

I nodded slowly, with full confidence in his reassurance. I believed in him, had no doubt in our trust. Satisfied with my answer, Jasper’s lips came down on mine in a sweet embrace. However, the sensuality of the moment soon turned to thirst.

My arms tightened around his lean shoulders, fingers gripped his hair for more, as his tongue battled mine. His hips danced a fast jig between my legs; my thighs tightened to keep him in the right spots. “Oh…god,” I gasped when Jasper mouth left mine and fell along my collarbone. Two hands gripped my butt and slid me higher along the glass.

“I need you so bad…” he begged, his ministrations gained strength. He crossed my legs around his back, swiftly unbuttoned my dress and suckled on my exposed breast. I arched into him, my own arms abandoning their previous job to capture the hem of his shirt.

“Lose it…” I ordered and he moved apart long enough to lift his t-shirt above his head and on to the floor. I dropped my legs to get to the zipper of his pants. My fingers reached beneath the waistband in seconds and produced him, hot and weeping. “Shit,” he cursed, his palms flat at the sides of my head, while his hips moved frantically in the palm of my hand.

“Please…” I cried, when he was soaked and my insides were on fire. We were beyond foreplay, past the point of slow, I needed him now. Wanton and ready, I jumped into his arms and  was speared. “Ahh…” Wide mouth and head against the window, I breathed harshly through the sudden pain. In the midst of our desires, we forgot how long we’ve been apart. Jasper gritted back his intended thrust and allowed me to become reacquainted with him. Instead, succulent lips came back to my mouth, and hungrily I accepted. Gradually, he began to work in and out. In and out, while my body sucked him tightly. With a few hisses left on my lips, Jasper picked up the pace.

Back and forth, he pummeled my core, made it weep for more. My hands never found their way back to his neck; instead they grabbed at his fleshy ass and encouraged him to go deeper. He cursed at the pinch on my fingers and bit down on my lower lip. The slight pain was enough to have me whimper and tremble. I was on the verge… “Deeper…please…” I begged, whispered repeatedly even though he was giving all that we both could handle.

“Oh fuck…” he cursed one last time, before I felt his heat stretch and my eyes rolled. Within, he pushed all the way, kissed my cervix, and took me over.

Euphoria had never felt so good than this moment. Even as the first orgasm settled, another rose quickly from his constant thrusts. My convulsions matched his rhythm and sent him to heaven’s gate. With the last powerful plunge, his right hand moved between us, quickly, pulled him out and flipped me over. “Yes…” he growled as the orgasm sent his seed over my ample cheeks and his head on my shoulder. With every shot of his searing juice, aftershocks took hold and left me limp.

My eyes met the sunshine, and the dream continued. My attention and energy spent while vibrations coursed through me, I let my eyes lower. I scanned the endless golden fields of grain, swept over the willowy hay barrels that lined the start of the backyard and landed on…Michael.

Blue scotching eyes, as clear as the sun’s rays, met mine. Tight jawed and narrow eyes, I gasped at the rawness of his emotions. Jealousy, anger, and hint of intrigue, had his gaze glued to this window, and I knew he witnessed it all.

Jasper was the one to pull me away the man’s fiery trance. He used the dress to wipe off the evidence from my skin, and bridal style, carried me to the bed. Sore and fatigue, I laid across the surface and he wiped me clean and did the same to himself. He replaced my dress with a shirt and pants, and then he clothed. Exhaustion had me in and out of consciousness, but I didn’t slip fully away until the door was locked and barricaded, a gun was in my hand, and Jasper laid beside me with his rifle. However, even with the weapons, I felt content to face the end at that moment.

***

By time the food was laid out on a table and ready, Jasper and I were up from an hour nap, bathed, and clothed. While Jasper put back on his blacks, I opted for pair of stretch skinny jeans, brown knee high lace-up shit kickers, and a ribbed long sleeve shirt. Though we carried all our belongings, once in a while, we raided a home in search of new clothes for the season. Our last raid was a Mansion somewhere in North Carolina. Michael added more layers too; a steel colored knit top, heather gray cargo pants and a black mulit-pocket jacket.

I was the first to sit at the bench, Michael sat across from me, and Jasper joined last. I shied away from any eye contact with Michael and opted to look at Jasper instead; it wasn’t hard. His tan skin glowed in the sunlight and black curly hair glistened from his wash. He was made to model, even with the hard times, he still had great looks. Michael, on the other hand, was pure man and oozed sex appeal. Sculpted cheekbones, piercing eyes, and full berry stained lips complimented his sun kissed tan; his short beard alone would have most women panties soaked.  Silently, I admired them both, pretended that their conversation entertained me.  

“So, Buchanan, where are you traveling after this?” Jasper asked through a mouthful of food.

“Don’t know and call me Michael,” composed as ever, I snuck a glance, only to receive an intense stare. My eyes dropped back to my plate, thankful that my blush was hidden. Then he asked where we were going.

 “We have friends waiting for us in Georgia, a whole bunch of them.” Jasper lied.

“It should take us about another week to reach it,” I added for emphasis. Our friends were long gone, and if anyone of them made it to the cabin, they were no longer our friends. However, we still carried the directions, never changed plans, and by the states we crossed, Jasper led us toward it. I still prepared the apology speech we’ll recite to my friend’s parents.

“We’ll be there in three days,” Jasper corrected. Shocked, I looked at the crazed man and shook my head no.

“Impossible; unless you run at top speed and come across no Zs,” Michael voiced, also as shocked as I.

“Impossible for you, we’ve done it before. We have food, supplies, and caught up on sleep.” Jasper put down his piece of meat and returned Michael’s challenging gaze. “Of course, you can take what we can’t carry, and then we’ll split ways.”

There was a tense moment between the men, unspoken words transferred, and I had a feeling there would be no peaceful solution. Michael was the first to break it and stood from the table. “You can split whatever rations you want, but I’m going with her.”

“What?” I gasped.

“Excuse me?” Jasper snapped.

Michael started to clean up, like he said nothing out of the ordinary. However, Jasper and I nearly fell over our seats.  We never took anyone in; it was a first that he even camped out with us and now he wants to follow me.

“What the hell, Celeste?” Jasper turned to me, suspiciously, and my hands shot up in defense.

“I don’t know what he’s talking about,” I answered honestly and shot Michael a glare. He accepted it without any retort and continued packing away the food. “What the hell, dude?” I yelled and stood.

“I owe her my life,” his matter of fact tone threw me for loops.

“Michael, it’s cool,” I intercepted Jasper’s response. “You found the garbage room and sliced that Z in the basement. We’re even,” I said, tried to be nonchalant but I never experienced such devotion before.

“Celeste,” Jasper pinned me with a look of deception, and rose from the table, his chest out and nostrils flared. “Well, we’re supposed to be a team,” he turned back to Michael, “and before you think you can just join us, we need to talk first. Maybe, you forgot how it is working with someone since you’ve been all alone.”

At Jasper’s words, Michael’s face twisted into sudden anger before he masked it away. He approached the table, right across from Jasper and stared him down. “You don’t know what it feels like to be in a team. You’re so blinded by what you think that you can’t even see a good opportunity in front of you.”

“Yeah, well, it seems like I saw a good opportunity when I locked you up in the bathroom. That’s how I was able to play ‘weekend shopping’ in the market,” Jasper spat.

“Well let’s see how your opportunity will help you when I don’t have a gaping hole in my side,” Michael challenged and suddenly Jasper’s hunting knife stabbed the wooden table.

“BOYS!” I screamed, and immediately ran to Jasper’s side. “Cut it. Michael, thank you for your devotion, but Jasper and I should talk about this. We’ve never had anyone join us, and were not saying we won’t let you, but it’s smart to consider our options. Jasper inside now!” I ordered, like the strict mother he needed. With that I moved from the table and picked up my bow and arrow, and…

“Look out!” This time when I toward the house, it wasn’t a flying vegetable but a woman…an undead woman, with one hanging and black oozed down her mouth. Immediately, I aimed for her, but underestimated how close she was. Pulling the arrow away from the bow, I stabbed it right through her missing eye socket and watched her drop like a fly.

“Celeste, to the right!” I spun to my right and saw a nasty bastard, with chattering teeth and flesh dripping from his jaw. When I launched the arrow this time, it hit him straight in the head. Then another Z came from behind him.

“Where are they coming from?” I yelled and moved backwards.

“To the cellar,” Jasper ordered and three of us fought our way to the doorway. Michael was the last to enter, beating the shit out of this fat fucker and severing another’s head when he closed the door.

In seconds, time raced as we grabbed our belongings and weapons.  Jasper handled his machete and rifle, and climbed the basement stairs, by time I picked up my bag, gun, and knife.

“Go now.” Michael pushed me up the steps first, while he pulled up the rear again.  

“Holy shit…” Jasper cursed from the kitchen window and I glanced to see ten of those shitters banging at the cellar door. “Where the fuck did they come from?”

“It doesn’t matter. We need to get out of here.” Michael spat out.

“The front door,” I suggested and didn’t wait for them to race through the house. As soon as I reached the front, I unlocked the door and wrenched it open. Heavy breaths echoed behind me as we shot down the porch and across the field. As we put distance between us and the house, more Zs were spotted in the distance from the town center and suddenly I was taken down. A heavy body lay across me and Jasper’s face, to the right of mine.

“Fuck, shit… Are you still bleeding dude?” Jasper whispered harshly.

“No. I stopped bleeding a day ago.”

“Are you Celeste?”

“No. I swear.” The small amount I spotted couldn’t have triggered them. “It must have been the smoke from the food.”

Michael rolled off me, and immediately, came the sound of a zipper.  He shuffled through his duffel filled with weapons and produced something small and round. “As soon as I let this go, run for the woods. Do you understand?” he ordered military style. About a hundred feet in front of us was the tree line and with the cover of the grenade, we should make it. I nodded and figured Jasper did the same, because the man began to count. “On the count of three, one…two…three!”

Sophisticated weapons were never exposed before the war, but now days, most people had some military grade around. Most of the time, they were guns; a few had bombs, but mostly homemade.  So I underestimated the strength behind the small object. As soon as Michael threw the bomb, we jumped up and ran with all the energy we could muster. However, seconds later, a sound one would think came from jet engine, sent us flying into the trees from sheer force.

Thrown, my body hit into a tree and with a heavy thump, I landed on my side. Every bone in my body exploded with pain and bit my lip to keep from screaming. Through gasps, I rolled onto my back and looked in the sky at the array of colors ignited from the blast.

My head too heavy to lift and my hearing fucked, I feared solidarity. I turned from side to side, looked out for the guys or Z’s and came up empty. Fuck, I had to move. That explosion was sure to bring more of the undead.

Cursing, I struggled to my feet, dazed with an urge to vomit. “Jasper…Michael…” I whimpered, but I couldn’t tell how loud. I moved a couple of feet and rested against a tree. This time I made a sparrow bird call and slumped down while the noise echoed.  And then I heard it, twice.

Someone shuffled behind me, and swiftly, I swung my knife its neck. With the blade against warm flesh, I looked into the pale blue eyes of Michael.  Slowly, his left hand wrapped around my knife hand and removed it from his jugular; his eyes still on me.  Another addition appeared, and Jasper walked with a limp.

Another explosion blasted into the sky, sent his jumping, but the tree provided cover.

“Alright, fine. You’re with us…for now.” Jasper addressed the other man, and then looked back toward the woods. “Georgia, here we come.”

“However, let’s find a car to hijack first.” Michael added and I realized his common sense was a better asset to Jasper and I than his weapons.

 

 

 

End Notes:

Thanks for reading another chapter, everyone.  I hope you enjoyed it, and can't wait to bring you more action, now that the gang is on the move. 

M9 Beretta by EJBradley
Author's Notes:

So you guys have been so inspirational and I cannot stop writing. So here's the super long, uber quick update.

We walked for hours, waited for dusk to provide cover when we hit the highway. Neither of us spoke during the journey; our hearing took a slow path to normalcy. Jasper took charge, with his compass and that old map we carried for the last two years.  While we moved east, his goal was to stay in the trees when we were on foot, and migrate toward the roads in search of a vehicle. Here and there, we stepped out of the trees to investigate a car, but every time it was a lose situation; either empty or filled with Z juice. So, Jasper kept us trekking; I could care less where we ended up at this point.  

As the moon rose and cast strange silhouettes through the lifeless trees, the wind carried away any warmth left from the day. We bundled up in whatever we had, which was almost nothing for Jasper since his jacket was left behind. Michael offered him a thermo shirt, but he refused and stayed a distance away. I strained to stay in the moment, but from my bruised ribs and the near deaths we had, everything took a toll on me. I began to rethink the positives of our mission.

“Are you alright?” Michael asked, interrupted my thoughts. I lagged behind the two, melted in the shadow of the tall foliage.

“Yes,” I answered but really I wasn’t. My legs cramped, my head hurt and my heart heavy. Tears threatened to slip out miles ago, but I swallowed the sobs. We were all injured, I reassured myself, so I wouldn’t fall far from the others, but each step grew harder. Michael’s footstep imitated my own and soon we were in our own rhythm.

“How good are you at hand to hand combat?” He questioned and I wished for more of an idle topic. However, no one ever spoke about nonsense anymore. 

“I picked up some tricks from watching others,” I answered, but kept my eyes on Jasper. However, Michael moved closer to me.  

“and Jasper?” this caught my attention. My head tilted in inquiry.

Regaled, I smirked at his sly ways. “The same, not much to offer you.” My suspicions were on display, and he was close enough to observe them. It wasn’t fair that he chose to follow us, especially, when we had nothing to give to him. Slowly, I wondered if this was a part of his plan. “Actually, we probably need you more than you need us,” I lied, leaked desperation to see his reaction. Yet, he smiled.

It was a shy smile, attractive but insecure; the glow of the silver moon illuminated his face. “Umm…I’d say you have it all wrong. Actually…” he looked at Jasper; his eyes scanned the environment, and then came to me. “…well, beside you two, I haven’t had a real conversation with anyone in over a year.” I paused and he chuckled awkwardly. He had more secrets than I thought.

“Well, I wouldn’t call talks of combat, or weapons, or anything depressing to be a real conversation. I long to hear about dreams…” I responded and smiled awkwardly at my own optimism, but Michael turned away. If it wasn’t for the closeness of our bodies, the night would have swallowed his words.

“Then prepare to live a very short life,” his torturous voice etched itself across my heart. By his words the depths of despair ran far deeper than what I’d experienced.

“You’re not intentionally alone; who did you lose?” I asked suddenly.

Deep eyes stayed on the path ahead, his voice still a whisper, “That’s a story far too long to relive for this journey.” Once again, we fell into silence.

Jasper kept us on task for two more hours. Unlike the ease when we stood under the sun, the air was filled with unrest. Michael no longer walked beside me; he gravitated toward the outside of the group. Jasper seemed conflicted with maps and his own strength, stopped several times to take short breaks, and me…well I contemplated the luxury of death. At our lowest, I feared we were left vulnerable.

“There’s a building.” The slight uplift in Jasper’s voice pulled me from my stupor. He pointed off to the north of our path. True to his words, a huge square shadow stood a couple yards away, with its high pointed roof as an invitation. It was probably some church, and the world knew to avoid those.  They were havens for the undead since so many people came there to pray during the dark months. “Looks like a cathedral.”

“Nope,” Michael spoke, his eyes went to the map Jasper held and then looked back. His face void of any emotion, which scared the crap out of me. “ Well, shit, that’s not a church, it’s a school; a private military school.”

Immediately, I caught chills from the tone of his voice and interjected. “It’s late, far too late to explore some school, Jasper,” I pleaded with him but his eyes were big with intrigue. “Don’t make the same mistakes we just ran from.” I encouraged him to get back on course by pointing to the red star on the map.

“Why don’t we get closer, see what the outside looks like and assess our options,” Michael added, and Jasper nodded, but I stood my ground.

“Well, we know there Zs and it’s night, so the only safe bet…” my voice should have been reason, but the boys wanted nothing of it, especially Jasper, who cleared his throat. We all stood in a triangular formation, but I moved back after Jasper’s dismissal.

“There are no more safe bets, Celeste,” the man snapped. “We’re out here in the fucking cold, freezing to death. Who knows how badly we’re hurt from the explosion. We never stopped to assess our injuries, what if we’re bleeding. Frankly, if we crossed a mob of anything, I’m done.” He pointed to his leg, “ and you are too,” he lectured, and looked at my ribs.

“Of course, I was stupid to think our chances out here in the cold would be safer than in some fucking school. Think about it, Jasper. No matter how hurt we are, this is like the hospital,” I spat out and forced him to remember. It was only by the kiss of luck that we escaped and I never want to be that close again.

“You take over this one, Michael?” Jasper resigned, and silently I cursed. We all knew what the militant would choose, and shelter wasn’t such a bad idea, the bad idea was the beings that lurked everywhere.

“We should go find a hideout and leave tomorrow. In and out,” he spoke confidently.

“Great,” Jasper said and started on, left us two.

“What are you thinking, Celeste?” Michael asked, but it didn’t matter anymore. When I looked up and saw Jasper behind him, a crazy thought entered my head. These two would prevail, they were strong and confident and fearless. Who was I to burden them with my insecurities?

“It doesn’t matter what I think anymore. I already had my chance to make decisions and look where that’s got us.” I shot down any retort from him and followed behind our ringleader. Hopefully, we’ll only cross a few and then get out of there.

Bow and arrow raised, I trailed after my longtime friend and tried to keep distance from Michael. He would say something to try and make me feel better, but I wanted to deny him, yell at the world, and then take a machine gun to everything. Instead, I opted to take one step at a time.

An overgrown football field was the first thing we approached. The massive cement stands, and blue color still held true to the nature of the stadium. Amidst the crisis of the world, there were few buildings that became monuments of the past. Watching Michael take in the high flying blue and white flag told me that this was one of them. “Do you know this place?” I asked him.

“Yes…” before he could add more, Jasper order us back to formation. As we ventured closer to the main building with the steeple, we stayed within the shadows of the bleachers.  Weapons high, now Michael took the lead, and we sped to cover the space. “Weapons aimed,” he whispered back as we approached a barrier.

A dense population of trees spread ahead, but we didn’t stop.  Quickly, our eyes to strained in the sudden darkness. I followed the sounds of Michael’s combat boots, made sure to avoid as many things as possible. I kept an ear out for Jasper who brought up the rear, however he was a quiet runner, able to sneak up on anyone without detection.  We continued in this pattern for close to ten minutes before Michael came to a stop at the break of trees.

“The Citadel, Military College of South Carolina,” he said, our eyes tailed his gaze.

In immaculate condition, the three story white stone building was nothing short of a beast. It oozed intimidation not only from its grandeur in size, but also from the medieval towers that sat at increments along the roof. High arched windows became the soul of the façade, dark paned glass showed an eerie emptiness through the bones of the structure.

“Holy shit, dude. This is not what I expected from that tower.” Jasper was right. This was a fort.

“It was a military college, one of the best in the country. I went here for two years, but got deployed. At the start of the war, the government announced mandatory evacuation of every military school, with most trainees sent into battle.”

“So why are we here now? “ I voiced negatively.

“I know this place well.” Michael answered. “The campus is larger, but we only need one building. The Administration office sits at the center of the Parade field, with a hidden bunker underneath. That’s where all the supplies are held.”

Suddenly, Jasper revealed other intentions. “What about a radio?” he inquired.

“There must be one. I mean this school had all the latest technology and I know they didn’t take everything. Who do you want to contact?”

“Don’t know. Heard there were communities, safe havens, for those still alive. We could just send out a signal.” He shrugged.

“What about the cabin?” Michael looked confused. He looked between the two of us, and we both looked away. The cabin would always be our destination, but it was never an end point; just a place to by us some much needed time.  

When silence continued, Michael dropped the subject and pulled out a set of binoculars. He looked up and down the patch of grass in front of us, and searched the windows of the building before delivering a plan. He thought it would be best that we crossed the parade field and enter the building through a service door. Since we were at a west facing structure, it was key that we make our way around it fast.

“I’ll go first, cover me. When you hear my Sparrow, come over.” There wasn’t any room to argue. Michael was confident and he was the only one that could navigate us safely.

As planned, he made quick work of the grass area, and disappeared around a wall. Once his bird noise filled the air, Jasper signaled that I go next, and him last. By this time, I was slow and tired, nearly crashed into Michael when I rounded the corner. Jasper came seconds after I arrived, looked alert and ready. He was in the moment, mirrored Michael’s determination.

Michael signaled us forward, closer to the courtyard, only to stop abruptly. “To the wall,” he snapped. Within seconds, we squatted behind shrubbery.

“Pick up your feet, Celeste,” Jasper, instantly, grilled me. Shocked, I berated him with my eyes, but turned away when Michael looked at us.

“Are you okay, Celeste?” Michael asked.

“Yes…” I snapped out.

“She’s tired, but I’m not repeating what I did in the hospital. Hold your own,” Jasper added and I grew defensive.

“Are you fucking kidding me right now? I just went through hell and back this last week, you are chastising me? I’m sorry for being stupid and making stupid decisions about that town, but you thought it was heaven until problems arose. And now, you want me to be ready for a fool’s plan. You worry about yourself and I’ll keep up. Get…the fuck…over yourself.” With Jasper in the middle, Michael moved forward to look at me, yet I turned away, ashamed of the tears that slowly spilled. My body was exhausted. I felt it the moment we escaped from the hospital. But it was natural, especially after 2 years and a taste of rest at the farmhouse.

A light breeze brought over the stench of Zs. Their sounds seemed muffled behind the concrete structure, so we had no idea the number. “What do we do about the fucking Zs, man? You’ve just led us into a trap, goddamit!”

“Cool it, Jasper,” I responded. He cursed on last time before sank back against the stone. I kept my eyes to the right, in case a Z decided to come around the corner, however, a snap brought all of our attention to the left.

Through the light of the moon, shadows played across the grass. I inched closer to the bushes, hoped that it provided enough shelter, while the stench and gnawing noise grew louder. Jasper tensed up beside me and his mind formulated a plan. I prayed that Michael had a one as well.

“There’s an underground pathway which leads straight the main hall, the only problem is that it’s designed like a maze. Only certain people know that way...”

“Please say you were one of them.” Jasper shook, his adrenaline boiled over.

“Yeah…I was, but that was five years ago.” Michael’s eyes found mine, asked a thousand questions, but only one mattered. “I’m sure we can find our way,” I answered and Michael nodded.

We all took one last look at the imminent mob and sprinted around the corner. Immediately, I gasped at the sight. Running away from the mob seemed small compared to the amount already in the courtyard. Michael kept us hidden among the shrubbery, but you could still see the hordes beating against each other. Michael moved quick, Jasper right at his heels, I brought up the rear, kept my eyes on Jasper’s boots.

“In here,” Michael hissed. There was a loud creak of metal and I looked up to see him hold open a small wrought iron door. Jasper immediately ducked through without any hesitation. Yet, when I approached the four foot opening, there was a pause.

“Celeste…move,” Jasper barked, but something had me trapped to this spot.

“Celeste, I really need you to move.” This time it was Michael.

“Are you sure you know where you’re leading us?” I broke down, fear overwhelmed me.

“Nothing is positive in this world, but I’m pretty confident I do.”  A reassuring smiled appeared across his lips and his eyes softened. All I could do was nod and with a nudge to my back, I stepped inside.

By time Michael entered and secured the door shut, Jasper came right at me. He grilled me for my sudden anxiety, sent threats to leave me if I ever did that again, and then handed me more bullets. “…for when you decide to stay behind.” And with that, he moved away from me and walked in the direction Michael instructed. I strapped my bow around my back and pulled out my handgun.

I was fucked. I don’t know when it happened or if I was going mental, but something changed. The fire of living was gone, yet I had no desire to put myself in danger. Even in the shadows of the underground walkway, my trigger finger slapped the clip of my gun twice. I was terrified and it scared the shit out of me. Uncertain, I put my gun away and pulled out my bow and an arrow. I kept a steady aim and listened for whatever moved differently than our foots steps.

As Michael predicted, it was a maze down there. Dark stone walls enclosed the area, with slits of moonlight from ceiling grates. A stench of rot and mildew filled the air, while our boots slushed through wet floors. With flashlights clipped to our weapon of choice, we stayed in close formation, yet we weren’t prepared for the circles.

We stood at the crossroads of four tunnels, two we already explored, which lead us back here. While Jasper aimed his flashlight down a tunnel to the right, I aimed my bow at a tunnel on the left. The light attached to my weapon, small and red, shined dimly compared to Jasper and Michael’s but it was excellent for less detection. “Which way, SEAL?” Jasper snarled, and suddenly, did this weird twerk with his neck.

“Just be on the lookout, let me think.” Michael snapped back, his tone even and calculated.

I felt someone approach my right arm and caught a glance of Michael.  “Remember yet?”

“Yeah, I was right the first time, but something’s different. Someone changed it.”

“What do you mean?” I whispered. He looked at me and then looked off in the distance.

“Well, nothing’s blocked; no gates, no traps. I mean, this bunker was made to be used by people who knew it, everyone else would have been destroyed by now. Even when I was here, there were several places we couldn’t stand without a gun being shot at us.”

Doubtfully, I wanted him to emphasize. “How do you know its changed?”

“Because Jasper isn’t dead right now.” Immediately, my eyes flew to Jasper to see him pacing between three entryways like a mad man. His rifle was at eye level and his flashlight bounced all over the walls. His sporadic movements and slight tick gestures were abnormal, something was different.

“I don’t know what’s wrong with him…with me.” I offered before he could ask. “We’ve changed somehow. I’m a nervous wreck and he’s, well, look at him. He’ll leave me, Michael. For the first time, I know that he will leave me.”

“I won’t.” Michael answered, but was he enough. I looked at Jasper, who’s slight limp and frantic movement reminded me of a Z. He was right, we should have looked at our injuries, maybe that was a clue to who Jasper was becoming. “Let’s go this way one more time.” Michael’s voice filled the space loudly, almost too loud. As Jasper approached, Michael shined his light in the guy’s face.

Bloodshot eyes, pale skin, and sweat beaded across his brow and upper lip. Jasper was sick, I could tell before I saw him, he held a stench. “Jasper, are you okay? Were you hurt at the house?”

Attentive eyes shot to me and I froze. Instantly, Michael took a step forward, blocked half of my body from Jasper. “Why would you ask me that? You’re the one that’s slowing us down,” he responded defensively.  

“Answer her question,” Michael ordered, he meant business now. By his stance you wouldn’t suspect much, but from behind, Michael slid out his hunting knife.

“It’s fine, Jasper. Let’s go so we can leave this place,” I interrupted.  Quickly, I moved around Michael to grab Jasper and gasped at the heat. He was burning up. I composed my shock right away and told Michael to lead the way before he could notice. Jasper was hurt, but I hoped he wasn’t infected either.

This time, Michael made haste of the pathway and stopped only when he noticed the difference. Near a sharp turn in the tunnel, he walked up to a wall and shined his light all over it. He searched the whole surfaced, while I kept an eye on Jasper. Michael began to move around, looked for other things, before he approached me. “Someone built a wall there, and it’s our only way into the building. Now, Celeste, we have two options; either we go through this way and face what’s holed in, or we go back outside and face what’s trapped out.  It’s your choice…”

But my decision never came. Immediately, the hall was filled with loud gunshots and the sound of stone exploded. I ducked down and covered my head, hoped that I was spared. Seconds later, a scuffle went down across the tunnel. Expecting the worse, I shined my light on the source of the noise and seen Michael tackle Jasper to the floor. Jasper yelled and cursed, his body writhing around wildly.

“Celeste, were you hit?” Michael yelled at me, longed for an answer.

“No.” Frantically, I shined the light on myself and patted my body. Besides my ribs, I didn’t feel any other pain. I turned back to the boys.

“Okay, since Jasper is not able to handle weapons right now, I need you to tell me where he hides them. As soon as I slide it toward you, retrieve and hold on to it.” At this Jasper sputtered threatening statements, but soon Michael’s knee shoved his mouth into the dirt floor. “Now, Celeste, please.”

Harsh breathing and teary eyed, I observed my crazed friend. There was nothing I could do to save him, and Michael’s plan was best. Quickly, I rapped off every spot I knew him to carry a weapon, and soon I held the rifle, his hunting knife, his gun, and two Chinese throwing stars he stole from a corpse. “That’s all.” I weighed an additional fifty pounds from the items. That stunt he pulled would alert anything and every one of our whereabouts. However, I would never leave a man unarmed.

Michael adjusted himself and I hoped he didn’t feel the box cutter that Jasper kept in an inside pocket of his pants. I hoped that given the time, Jasper remembered it was there too. Michael stood and brought Jasper up with him. I watched him wrap something around Jasper’s mouth and arms. “What’s that for?” I asked of the restraints.

“Because I don’t trust him and neither should you,” Michael responded bluntly, pulled Jasper up from the rubble.

With Michael’s hold on Jasper, we ran as fast we could through the new opening; I followed with apprehension. This was too easy, too simple, I thought. Even with the miniature explosion, nothing was after us…or, wait…

“Did you hear that?” Michael stopped suddenly in the small four by four space.

“What did you hear?” My eyes searched the tunnel behind us and listened hard, but nothing registered. Just as I was about to respond a shadow danced across my light.

“What the fuck was that?” Michael turned and projected his light down the hall and immediately covered it off. There was something…some things down there, a large mass of them. Slowly, he moved backward, right into to me. Instead of saying anything, he continued, taking me with him. I said his name, but he shhed me before the first syllable was out. Step by step, we moved back until we were about fifty yards, and then Michael turned, and we ran. We ran so hard that our footsteps created echoes along the stone walkway, dust blew up in the air, but the importance of survival beat the importance of silence. However, our race didn’t last long.

Michael stopped again, about fifty feet down from our hole in the wall. He turned off his light, as well as Jaspers and took my red one. “There’s a grate that leads to the upper level, look for it.” He demanded.

Jasper was the one who found it along the top of the stone wall. Immediately, he pulled out his Letterman Tool and began working on the screws, yet his shaky hands were no help. “Let me do it,” I whispered; my hand covered his. Finally, he let go and slumped along the wall beside me. At my height it was hard to reach, and asked for the light to illuminate the ceiling. A couple of water pipes sat right below the opening, which could assist with climbing. If it was sturdy, it would provide great leverage. I didn’t need to say anything before Michael hoisted me high enough to grab on. I used the wall for footing and swung my legs around the pipes. Quickly, I pulled out the tool and worked fast. Down below, a menacing hum ignited through the space and the boys quickly went on alert. We only had seconds left.

Sweat poured down my face from the pressure, but I kept going. I made quick work of the first two screws, and went on to the third. In my rush and underestimation, the letterman went straight for the wall and slipped through my fingers at contact with the metal. “Fuck…” I whispered as the silver tool clanged all the way to the ground. Shocked fueled a silence amongst us, a quiet that gave way to our new danger. A roar filled the tunnel from the direction of the cluster of beings. They were awoken.

“Cover your face,” Michael yelled up at me. With safety mode off, Michael positioned his Glock and then…bang, bang. Two shots right at the grate. The lid flew off and Michael yelled for me to get in the duct. Next, he climbed up and in.

I ran over to the opening with him with a huge sense of déjà vu. This time I wasn’t sacrificing anyone. “Jasper, reach up!” Michael yelled as the overwhelming smell of death filled the tunnel, and the grinding sounds of their teeth became a soundtrack. I looked down the hallway for a split second and saw mutilated bodies; pale skin dripped off from ivory bones and dried muscles, bare fleshed faces, and gnawed limbs and anger eyes. They pushed and fought to be the first to the reward.

“Jasper!” I yelled and pulled out my handgun. I started unloading on the first line of them, yet there was another line to take its place.

I looked at the boys who were just a couple of inches short of each other. “You have to jump man, “ Michael yelled to him.

“Fuck…I can’t. I have no energy.” Jasper swayed for a second and then looked at me.

“Get your fucking ass up here, Jasper, or I will leave you,” I screamed as tears came. And in the dim light, I saw the twinkle of his watery eyes. “Please…,” I begged. My voice struck a chord, and I choked. I kept shooting, traded weapons with Michael to keep the hunger demons away, but they moved too fast. I sent one last plea to Jasper, and prayed that he would listen.

“Shoot!” Michael ordered, and I went back to task. Shot, after shot, the bastard’s fell, but it was too dark to see how many continued toward us. At the same time, Jasper leaped with all the strength left. Michael let out a loud roar and the duct shift wildly, as two Zs leaped at the Jasper. “Fuck you!” I screamed and shot as Michael pulled up.

“Ahhh!” with a loud bang, the Zs did a pileup below and the boys were sprawled across the floor of the duct; Jasper was the image of death.

“Are you okay?” I crawled over to them, and helped Michael to his hands and knees. When I approached Jasper, his eyes closed and sunken, while his breathing was raspy.

“We need to move. It’ll only hold us for a bit.” Michael looked at me, desperately.

“Jasper…?”

“Come on, let’s go,” Jasper said suddenly, bloodshot eyes opened and he got on his hands and knees. I brought up the rear, as we were led through a maze. We past more grate openings; I noticed that we still moved above the tunnel, hundreds of Zs clustered and mangled below. Their growling became a motivation to move faster, a symbol of what we fought against. 

After ten more minutes, we exited from the damp dungeons into a deserted hallway. Most of the bulbs were knocked out, however red emergency lights bounced off the linoleum floor and illuminated everything. Michael helped Jasper up, while I pulled myself out and picked up Jasper’s rations.

“We should be in the main hallway that leads to the administrative side. That’s where the radio will be.”

“Good,” Jasper shivered, and struggled to speak.

Once again, I brought up the rear while Michael led through the hall. With an empty gun, I shifted my bow around and aim the light forward. Jasper was offered his machete, but he was too weak, so Michael carried it.

Slowly, we passed empty classrooms, as neat as if school was still in session. We continued on pass white center block walls and blue emergency lights. More glass doors showcased undisturbed rooms and I began to wonder if was occupied. Then we hit their smell.

Like a stone wall, the scent turned my stomach and I gaged. It was much stronger, mixed with animal piss and dog feces. On alert, Michael stopped ahead, about ten feet away from a four way interception. He listened, and I did the same. Instead of the shuffle we recognized, there were sharp taps on the ground. With every second, the smell intensified. We began to backtracked, our eyes never left the entryway.

Slowly, two snarling dogs rounded the corner, a blood trail behind them and two nasty Z bites along their belly. We paused, waited for the dogs to respond. I thought there was a chance to ambush and kill the beast, but four more walked up behind the two.  

This time fight was out, we had to run.

The grimacing pack leader sent out one bark and immediately the others ran toward us. Everyone spun around quickly, and took off. Limbs burned, but I kept moving; even Jasper’s footsteps matched Michael and I. However the latter man had a plan. Jasper and I were to round one last corner, a door would be at the end of that hallway and we could shoot our way to a courtyard. Michael would hold back the pack and lead them away until we met on the other side of the door. It was perfect, but it never played out. Once we separated, Jasper went down, the struggle to survive vanished.

At first, I didn’t notice. With tunnel vision, I saw the door and relief washed over me. A small chain kep the doors together, but they were easy to get through with a two barrel rifle. Of course, I never thought about what was on the other side, but it had to better than eaten alive by starved dogs. I pulled harder, ran faster. Halfway down was when I only heard one pair of footsteps across the linoleum floor. I ran alone; Jasper was gone. Immediately, I spun around to see him on the floor about thirty feet away. He was covered in sweat; his shirt stuck to his body. We still had time to make it, I thought. I ran to my friend and crotched down by his side. “Get up!” I screamed, but all I got back were dead eyes. He was feverish, and his cracked lips, dehydrated as well. “Jasper, get up now and once we find a room, you can lay down there. I promise…please,” I begged.

“Go…” his harsh tone returned and he pushed my hand away. “Go, now!” he spat and slumped lower against the wall. His hand went to his side and for the first time, I saw his injury.

What appeared to be a sweat mark was a wet blood spot. He lifted his shirt and exposed it. A smell unlike the Z’s rose and pus oozed from the bloody wound. Something sharp stuck of the center and I cursed at our luck.

“Why didn’t you say anything!” I screamed at him. This whole time he walked with this wound and never said a word. “We have supplies; we could’ve stopped in the woods, anything…” I cried my hands flew to his skin. He hissed as I applied pressure to the wound to slow the bleeding but there was no use. There was no denying his future; he was going to die. “You bastard!”

As soon as Jasper closed his eyes in resignation, two arms wrapped around waist and picked me up. “No!” I screamed as I was lifted onto broad shoulders and carried away. “Jasper!” I fought against the weight of the hands holding me in place as the dogs round the corner. “Let me go!” I fought harder as their red eyes zeroed in on Jasper.

My arms flew out to him, reached for him, as gun shots echoed through the hallway. Misery kept my eyes glued to Jasper as the first dog approached him and then the next, and one by one all of them were on him.

And steel doors shut, blocked out the view of my dear friend.

My fight gave out and so did my survival instincts. My spirit was locked away with my friend. Even when I was readjusted on a strong shoulder, my body was limp.

It seemed like I was carried forever, before we stopped short and the overwhelming smell of Z’s descended on me. We spun, surrounded by all sides. I was put down, my feet barely supported me as Michael’s blue eyes came into focus. “I’m sorry,” he whispered, my head in his hands. He caressed my tear stained cheeks and laid gentle lips on my forehead. He brought me in close, arms encircled me, and shots began to fire. He shot at them, kept them at bay, but there weren’t enough bullets. I shrieked at the sound of an empty chamber and Michael threw the gun aside. His head came back down on mine and he apologized again. We were going to die. There was nothing left. 

I reached for my waistband and pulled out my hand gun. I pulled away from Michael and opened the chamber. Two. I looked around the Romanesque courtyard, which would become my crypt as Z’s pour out from almost every door. My eyes fell to the signature red and white checkered floor as tears fell, the weight of the hand gun ten times heavier. “I will not become one of them,” I told him and he nodded. “There’s enough for two.” There was no argument, no objections, he understood. He reached inside his shirt and exposed a long chain necklace; a beautiful silver cross reflected the moonlight at the end. His eyes closed, steady hands brought it his lips. His quick, silent prayer was the most heart wrenching moment and I knew I had no strength to deliver the task.

When Michael opened his eyes again, I knew that he saw my weakness and immediately he stepped closer. He took the gun from my shaky hands and moved my face into his chest. With a hand on my back and my face shielded from the hungry, vicious predators, the echo of the locked chamber ranged, and then his arm moved.

With blurry vision, I closed my eyes and counted…

One…

Two…

Three…

 

BANG

End Notes:

And let the action begin! thanks for reading, hoped you liked it. now off to the next chapter. 

Dreams by EJBradley
Author's Notes:

Hey, everyone! Sorry it took so long, but here's my weekly update. Enjoy,

BOOM, it came again in a series of four. I tried to yell, but even my ears were deaf to my voice. BOOM, once again the sound came and I flinched. Michael’s grip tightened around my waist, but his position remained the same. BOOM.

The initial sound echoed throughout the courtyard like a fallen bomb, yet we stood. The blast continued all around, from each direction; the north wall, south wall, east wall, and lastly the west. Out of his stupor, Michael’s hands covered my ears and pressed me closer to his body. Blinded, I only had the vibrations from the floor and muffled noises slip through his fingertips to indicate which direction was next.

Suddenly, the bombs stopped. An eerie silence pulled me from Michael’s chest, and I blanched. Exposed, the red and white tile floor oozed black pond under our feet, while piled up Zs writhed amongst the fallen ones.  Seconds passed, before a fresh wave of rotting flesh consumed the air. With immediate impact, Michael raised the Beretta and pointed as starved, angry Z’s replace ones down from the bomb. A swarm shot from the east double doors; another came through the north and south; the west doors remained shut.  

“One… two…one…two, ”Michael counted, waited for a crucial moment to fire. However, he didn’t pass his third set. With violent shakes, the undead froze in mid-step. Madly, their hands flailed around and spun, some bent over in agony. They let out a horrifying wail, completely opposite from their natural growl.

Curious, I spun in the opposite direction to witness more Z’s frozen. “What’s happening to them?” I asked over the silence.

A pair of red eyes looked at us from ten feet away; his gory face was partly severed at the jaw while what was intact held a bluish gray tinged.  Despite his hands clawed at his ears and blood oozed through his fingers, the Z’s hungry eyes watched us.

Immediately, the place was washed with bright stadium lights and the magnitude of Z’s in the courtyard astonished me. What we previously thought of the undead beyond these walls paled in comparison to what stood in front of us.  With the lights on, all the Z’s exuded black from their ears; some dripped from the orifice through rotten fingertips. Circled, I watched in disbelief at all the mutilated faces suffering from an invisible threat and then it clicked. We stood at the center of a holding grounds for the undead. With no prior experience of one, these stables for Z’s were considered the people’s remedy against the disease, when the government went dark. Stories spoke about the tricks used to attract Zs and the experiments people carried out to discover the predator’s weaknesses. Because of no communication, no one could ever say who ran these centers, or if they really worked; tons of small scale ones existed but so did their stories of being overrun. What we looked at now, was an elaborate operation; a well oiled machine, but by who.

Michael’s grip pulled me closer to him; my back flat against his chest, my head against his shoulder. “Follow me,” he whispered and he led me backwards. The slow moment caught the attention of some torturous souls. Yellow, infected eyes followed us, mangled arms lashed out to grab hold, only to scream and drop to the floor. “What’s happening to them?” I asked as we watched more drop to the floor in agony.

“Something’s not right. Someone is keeping them here, somehow controlling them,” he replied.

“I know, but how are they controlling them?” I pondered.

We created a ten foot distance from where we last stood, before our security shattered. With a menacing cry, a six foot Z broke free of the pain and started running to us. Adamant, the corpse leap over crushed bodies like a gymnast, teeth chattered with his sight on a prize. Michael raised the gun and counted. Encouraged by a reaction, long, ravenous fingers reached out for us as another scream escaped his lips. Heart pounded, beaded sweat poured; Michael continued to count.  Finger on the trigger...

“Ahh…” I screamed, and watched as the creature drop; a bullet hole marked the killing spot. However, the absent kickback from the pistol gained my suspicions. Michael forced me behind him, the gun raised to the second level balcony, trigger finger ready. Like a hawk, he made quick work of searching the balcony, but the bright lips blocked obscured most of the view. Instantly, I unsheathed my bow and aimed as well; our backs together, eyes held high.

“Do you see anyone,” he whispered.

“No one, just these fuckers.”  I continued to scan, round and round, until something caught my eye; a silhouette over to the left. Quickly, I turned full on toward the figure and squinted. It was a figure. I sent a whistle, which Michael caught and glanced at me. My eyes looked at him and then went back to the balcony, before chills crawled up my spine. One was spotted, but now there stood two figures. Slowly, more figures crept into the light, joined by their proximity. “Michael, there’s people up on the balcony,” I called.

“Got it.” Quickly, we made a loop; eyes rotated from the second floor and the ground level. As the seconds ticked by armed men in black military gear came forward until more than fifty heads stared down at us.

“Lower you weapons!”

Suddenly, a static rained from the heavens and the announcement was made again.  Nervous, doubtful, and downright scared, my hand shook as my aim continued. I picked the first shadow that lurked and drew my arm back. “Weapons, down, now!”

 “Fuck…” Michael cursed. “Lower your bow, Celeste.” The Beretta was already at his feet, yet I wouldn’t give up so easily.

“No.” A heavy feeling anchored itself to my gut. Between being stuck amongst hundred undead and armed forces with weapons pointed down, I grew a set of balls and let my distrust be known. There something wrong with these people, and whatever they had going on.

“You’re going to get yourself killed for nothing, Celeste,” Michael strained, his hands raised in surrender.

“We need an escape plan,” I urged and suddenly, he forced one on me.

“This is the escape plan.” Michael walked right in the aim of my arrow and brought his hands down to mine. Still shaky, he pulled them away my weapon and took it from me; his eyes with mine. “I made a promise and I fully intend to keep you safe,” he professed.  I nodded and then the gravity of the last hour sunk in. Jasper.  My heart cried for my friend. Michael saw and embraced me again, placed the bow behind his back, looked up at the men, and called out, “We are only looking for a place to sleep. We had no intentions to harm anyone or trespass.” Silence.

Within seconds, a pungent smell of a butcher shop filled the air. I gagged, vomit leaped to my esophagus. The remaining undead sniffed the air, their attentions adverted.

“Don’t move…or you’ll draw their attention back, and this time we can’t stop them,” the announcer spoke, again.  Without breathing, I watched the Z’s spin and run toward the smell, mouths wide and hunger cries echoed. The vast space emptied seconds later; all that remained were the torn apart carcasses from the bombs. Iron doors slammed shut and suddenly a door opened behind us; the west hallway. Gas masked figures moved busted through, guns aimed at the floor. They made quick work with the Z’s that were left behind. Finished, they lined up before us in execution style.

“Well look what we have here…” A man broke formation and advanced. He stopped about five feet from us, his rifle hung from a strap across his arm.

“We don’t want trouble.” Michael voiced immediately.

“That’s what they always say.” The man’s weathered voice was the only proof of his age. By the look of him, he wasn’t tall either, maybe 5’7.  You couldn’t tell how much of his bulky figure came from padding and pure strength. “So how d’you  get in?”

“The main tunnel,” Michael answered truthfully. The man paused, looked at someone in line and then turned back to us.

“Are you alone…?”

“No, our friend…he was caught in the hallway you entered from. You must have passed him, he was right before the doors. Do you see him, were you able to help him?” Immediately, I called out and inched forward. The door was shut behind them so I couldn’t see his body, wished that his body was still there and not turned. However, the man didn’t share my interest.

“How do you know about the tunnel?” He came closer, his face plate aimed up at Michael.

Michael didn’t respond, he surveyed the lineup and looked back the man. “I saw the gate and took a chance, “ he lied.

“Name…?”The man shouted, sensed Michael’s obscurity.

“Charles Darwin,” was Michael’s response.  “…and she’s Amelia Earheart.”

Immediately, the man let out a deafening cackle and turned toward the rest of the crew. His laughter sent me cowered into Michael’s back. The man recited the names in humor, paced in front of us, until he grew silent. Quickly, he turned, rifle raised toward Michael’s head, and the lineup followed suit. I gasped, but kept my eyes opened. “Do you think I was born yesterday, boy? I am the one who decides if you live, or become a nighttime snack.” Slowly, the man exposed himself. Deep, raw scars covered his cinnamon face, deep set hazel eyes sagged, with one red and cloudy. His broken nose had reset awkwardly and curved in the middle. Patches of hair grew across his lips in a thin moustache, and that’s where facial hair ended. A skull cap covered what I presumed as a bald head. I guessed his age in the fifties, but the damages he bared would age anyone.  

In the near distance, another bomb went off and snatched the man’s attention. He slammed his mask back into place and then turned toward the lineup. “Let’s move, boys.” All at once, the men rotated 180 degrees and began to run back in. Michael grabbed me hand, scooped up the gun and ran after.

“Hey, what about us?” he yelled as we made our way to the west hallway.

“If you want to live, you better keep up,” and for the first time he regarded me. “It’s your time to fly.”

We crossed the courtyard in seconds, and passed through the double doors. Two guarded men waited and shut them immediately after we entered.  Ten other soldiers split in the middle and stood evenly on both sides, while the older man took up the lead. Weapons raised, Michael and I were surrounded in their protection by the silent men.

The leader pointed forward and slowly, mirrored feet moved, pulled us with them. The two men at the doors took up the rear and closed us inside the circle. Once again, my bow and arrow was raised and I listened for the sharp taps of the dogs.

With hastened footsteps, we moved closer to the spot I left Jasper. My eyes went to linoleum immediately and I edged closer to the man on my right. Through small gaps, a blood trailed could be seen, paw marks led away. In and out, my breaths increased as anxiety filled me. I prayed that his body was left, that some sign would show that he was not with the damned. What I found instead was disheartened. A puddle of blood outlined a missing body, booted footsteps made a trail further into the building.

 A small cry distracted the group, had the leader looking back at me, while Michael’s hand found my arm. A slight tug pulled me from my grief and the group charged on. “He’s gone,” I whispered more to myself than for anyone else’s confirmation. Tears shed down my cheek, but I pulled out of Michael’s grasp and kept my arrow eye levelled.

Quickly, we were lead through a series of hallways, while bombs rocked the structure. My eyes were trained on anything that looked to be a Z, particular Jasper. I could still save him, I thought. There was still a chance to end his misery. I wasn’t sure if Michael had the same intentions, so I kept a look out on both sides of the hallway.

Continuously, we moved through the main floor, without a sign of dogs or anything else. We passed the grated vent duct to see that it was still in place. I shivered with memory of the tormented corpses in the basement, huddled together.

We came toward another set of doors and paused. The leader ripped his mask off and looked toward a small black box. Instantly, there was a click and the weighted barrier opened with struggle. We moved through the threshold and the doors were shut.

Masks were lifted from all the armed men and their attentions came to us. With bow still raised, the soldier that stayed to my right looked at me and placed his hands on my arrow. I looked up at the dark hair, green eyed stranger as his fingers slid down my arrow and lightly touched my fingers. Callous digits wrapped around me and the arrow dropped to my side. “You are safe now,” he whispered, however I couldn’t look away from him. There was something familiar in his eyes.

 “Are you hurt?” I heard over my shoulder and the old man approached us.

“No, I don’t think so,” Michael answered and the man’s eyes came to me.

“How about you, girl?”

“No,” I answered. His eyes raked my body and Michael’s arm moved around my waist; he noticed the man’s attention as well.

“Military?” The old man asked and Michael had his attention again.

“Yes, Navy Seal, however, I got out right before the…”

“You mean you went missing?” The guy accused and I swallowed. There was something dangerous in his tone and I opted to interrupt but Michael spoke.

“The government and I didn’t quite see eye to eye,” Michael answered and I doubt that was the right thing to say. The man looked toward the guy to my right, an internal exchange, before he dismissed the rest of the guys. Once the four of us stood alone, the older guy surveyed us once more and instructed we follow him.

We crossed a large administration office, with rows of desks and maps along the wall and comments marked in chalk. More men were in here, in the same black gear. Once we entered, they saluted the older man, but stared at us. Bells on the wall screamed throughout the room with north and east written above them. Another bomb went off and bells went crazy. Several guys wrote vigorously, their eyes on the alarms and a map of the campus.

We continued to follow until we came to a smaller office. He ushered us in, closed the door only when the younger soldier stood outside the room. Immediately, he looked at us, eyes traced our weapons. “I’m going to suggest that your weapons stay by your side, untouched. We’re going to have a little chat. I’m curious how a SEAL goes rogue and how a pilot gets reinvented.”

He finished and silently observed us, turned away when he found nothing and moved toward a set of mahogany cabinets. He pulled out a decanter filled with brown liquid and three glasses. I opened my mouth to decline but Michael reached over and covered my lips. He shook his head and then removed his hand, all the while the black clad leader continued to pour.

Amber splashed from the container like escapees from their glass prison. They landed peacefully in the cups and waited like delectable treats. Gently, he positioned everything, even the decanter under his and the older man crossed the space. “Twenty five year old bourbon, we found it still in its burnt wood barrel at some distillery in Kentucky.” He looked at the coloring and then sniffed the treasure, but took a small sip. “The key is to cherish it, like a warm body on a cold morning.” He took another and then looked at us.

Michael was the first to taste, while I inhaled the sweet aroma. “mmm…” I muttered at the heat that filled me, like spicy smoke injected through my bloodstream. I brought the glass up and tilted it slowly. My tongue waited with hesitation, this was the first time I had such refined liquor since the war. It was also the first time I drunk with two strangers. I allowed myself a small taste, even though it looked to others that I took more. The heat in the smell carried over to the taste and sent an explosion through my taste buds. Bitter was followed by sweet and woody. I allowed another small taste before looking at the others.

“What do you think?” the older man asked.

“Perfection…” I whispered over the glass.

His eyes were still on me, an ease chilled my body down from the Bourbon. I reminded myself of the last hour and sobered enough to grab my curiosity back.  “What is your name?”

“Marine Sgt. Cornwell Norris,” he answered honorably.

“What exactly is this place?” Michael asked instantly. He was on edge. From the moment the men were exposed, he attached me to his shadow, surveyed each guy as prey would their predators. I had an innate sense that I missed what spooked him.

“Well, let us just jump right to it. Please take a seat,” Norris pointed to a couch behind us, while he pulled up a small aluminum chair across from the desk. As I took my seat and watched everyone do the same, I couldn’t help but noticed how big the man seemed amongst everything in this room. There was simplicity about the décor, a delicacy in the furniture, that foreign to him. This was not his office.  

Norris settled deeper into his seat and downed another glass of Bourbon. He wiped his moustache on the back of his gloved hand and poured another serving. “This son, is the main base of the biggest operation against the apocalypse.” Curious, I edged closer and listened to his every word. “At the start of the downfall, several military bases, forts, and academies were shut down for optimum opportunities. Most of the lower levels commanders and soldiers were sent to the front line of the fight, while the Corporals and Sergeants were stationed other places.”

“So this is all military?” Michael interrupted and Norris denied.

“Absolutely, not. This is all the people; scientists, doctors, lawyers, even down to farmers. The killing of America’s sons and daughters brought trouble for our top leaders….”

“Which caused the darkness,” I added as his story fit in with the rumors I heard.

“Exactly, all communication ceased. The president sent one last farewell speech and left the civilians to defend themselves.”

“This doesn’t explain the holding of Z’s at a well-known military base,” Michael stated.

“All you have to do is think about it. Remember the rumors about the undead born as a weapon of war. Well, many believed this to be true, so experimentations started. The American people longed for a cure, not just a solution, and the progress began. This base was perfect. It was already built to examine those things. The military jump started our progress. They provided enough working space for us to observe the behavior patterns of the undead, without compromising innocents, and the better part was that the government forgot all about their initial plans.”

“How do you explain all the uniforms?” Michael inquired right away. Even though Norris was adamant on separation between state and public, everything we looked at screamed military.

Norris opened the collar of his black coat, revealed a bulletproof vest and a small silver chain identical to Michael’s. “You know this academy, son. It’s engraved into your mind more than the home you grew up in. Even now, there’s a comfort, an ease from your return. That feeling is what most of the soldiers you see felt in the end; they wanted to return to a place that they knew like the back of their hand, and that is here.” The Sgt. elaborated, which seemed ironic since this place was abandoned and filled with Zs, but something in his words sunk in deep for Michael. Truth became the Sgt.’s words which reached out and grabbed Michael. His eyes glazed over, the wall beyond the Sgt. became a focal point. His profile hid his expression, but I sensed his mental vacancy. My attention went to the Sgt. who sat with a slight smile, almost like he cracked a code. This must be the way he won all his recruits. I mimicked the older man’s expression out of politeness but reached for my glass in search of a distraction. “So tell a poor man, who hasn’t been in the presence of such a beautiful woman in so long, where are you from?”

Flattered and uneasy with his comment, I answered quickly. “New York City.”

His eyes widened in surprise. “You’ve travelled a long way. I can only imagine your ambitions must be a treasured one.”

“It is. I am to find a cabin for a friend…” I chuckled awkwardly at the senselessness of my answer, pain etched into my voice.

“And your friend…?” he looked at Michael.

“No, not him. “ An image came forth of long, wavy sandy blonde hair blowing in the wind from the Subway train, while Jasper laughed behind the girl. I thought of the pictures she showed me of her family countless times and the directions she demanded we follow for safety. It saddened me that she was not here to speak of her own goal. “Samantha’s mother once told us that whenever we were in trouble, we could always sail away to Haven, to Haven’s Cove,” I whispered and missed the sudden spark behind the Sgt.’s eyes.

“Haven’s Cove, sounds like a fairy tale? Where is this cove?“ Norris recovered quickly and poured another round.

“Somewhere in northern Georgia, but who knows if it’s still there, or if I would be welcomed in.” I answered, doubtful that he listened, but the man inquired some more.

“Who is waiting at the cove?” However, this time I picked up on the familiarity in his voice. I glanced at him over my refill and observed.

“Friends…” I responded slowly and before much could happen, a bomb went off.

BOOM

The sound was so loud that the walls shook effortless and the bells loud scream went through the office doors. The floor groaned, vibrations sent a crack straight through the middle of the floor. Surprised, I jumped to my feet in an instant, while the Sgt. did the same. He ran straight for the door as someone pounded. The same soldier, who stood guard, now delivered hushed but fast words. The explosion brought Michael out of his stupor and the man readied his weapon.

“We need to leave…” he said immediately and looked toward boarded up windows.

BOOM

The ceiling cracked, and plaster fell in a violent rain.

BOOM

“Ahh…”I screamed as the ceiling light crashed down on top of the desk, while the glass windows shattered behind the boards. Michael provided cover and dragged me toward the door.

“…it’s too late. They are blowing holes in the walls, the Z’s are getting in…” the soldier reported back to the Sgt.

Dark complexion pale in the lighting and he turned to me. Grave eyes struggled with a decision but another blast sent him spluttering out results. “Let’s move, quickly.”

A series of events had me once again racing against time through hallways, as walls collapsed and doors busted open. The angry screams of locked up Z’s filled the halls and signaled the hell that waited for us. In a pack of 12, Norris made sure that Michael and I were well protected and circled, even though we were armed. We ran in the opposite direction, toward the east wing of the building. This side exposed several laboratory rooms with stark white walls and steel tables. One room was equipped with testing tube station and hazmat suits sectioned off at the entry. Amazed by the legitimacy of all the equipment and the money that was required to create this space, I felt fooled. When you traveled for so long without seeing any existence of wealth, good, or even exploration, I couldn’t imagine why people trying to save the world.

The stench of Z’s alerted me and the group immediately stopped. I ran into Michael’s back, who had his hand gun raised and pointed ahead. A scream filled the air and l Iooked around him to see a pack of Z’s, however these were the ones held in the basement. I gasped as I took in the sight of these morphed creatures. Sans clothing or any item, they stood nude but altered. Their gray flesh looked almost silver and bruised. Skin sagged from exposed bones, while melted fat dripped off in clumps. Black circles replaced eyes and fallen noses left heart shaped holes. These hairless souls became visions of demons on Earth.

“Retract!” The Sgt. yelled and slowly, and synchronized black boots marched backwards. Another scream came from within the pack and before long all their mutilated heads jerked in our direction.
Move, move, move!” Immediately, the creatures ran with superhuman speed and guns began to fire. The soldiers in the front provided enough bullets to drop the front line of Z’s but more leaped over the dead and ran faster.

Swiftly, I turned and sprinted after the soldiers that were told to retreat. Suddenly a gloved hand grabbed mine and I noticed the Sgt. beside me. “I know the cabin…” he said in haste.

“What do you mean?” I asked, just as another bomb intercepted. Guns fired on a locked door as more Z’s appeared in the opposite hallway.

“Haven’s Cove is real and very much alive. Samantha was right.” I blanched at his words and time slowed. In the cover of the soldiers and Michael, the man carried my gaze and returned it with reassurance.

“Move, Celeste!” Michael interrupted, firing away with one of the military rifles. He was the one who snatched my other hand and led me through the now open double doors, and we immerged into darkness. Beyond the scent of the undead, pine trees welcomed us to hide. Michael half carried me toward the tree line, only to be repelled back by the hand still laced with the Sgt.’s. Beyond the sounds of bombs, screams of soldiers and Z’s, there was a deep rumble from above. I looked up to see a huge plane, camouflaged in the night’s sky. Red lights outline its bulky body and huge wind gusts alerted us of its closeness. The Sgt.’s soldiers looked up as well, astonishment laced across sweaty faces.

“I thought you weren’t military,” Michael yelled and approached the man. “Let her go!”

“I spoke the truth. We are the people and we’re here to fix what the government has started. These are their creations, their monsters!” Sgt. Norris answered emphasized ‘they’ by pointing toward the helicopter as fire blasted from its belly. Another blast hit and a stone tower fell. I looked at the man with a renewed sense. He was a rebel, an AWOL rebel; they all were.

I looked at Michael, who stared at me. I met his distrust, while the Sgt.’s finger still embraced mine. A slight tug pulled me toward Norris. “Your friend, her name was Samantha Sansom, and I’m going to assume that she is dead.” I nodded in disbelief. “Her sister was Haven, and that is her cove you seek?” I nodded once more. “Well, then let me help you. Come with us and I’ll take you to your cabin and your friend, Jasper.”

As time stood still, soldiers yelled for the last to join the convoys and escape. More helicopters appeared, bullets rained as if they were in a hurricane. Windows blew out, fires exploded through the building, and Z’s stormed around us. With no time, the Sgt.’s last words made my decision for me. I turned to Michael and placed my hand upon his cheek.

“Don’t fall for him…don’t you dare!” he demanded.

“I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.  Thank you for everything,” I whispered and was ripped away toward a black van. The Sgt. pushed me in and jumped in after me. The door slammed shut.

“Get us the hell out of here,” Norris ordered the driver.

 

 Regret pulled me from the confines of the vehicle as the van high-tailed through a path in the woods. My parting glance at my stranger was Michael sprinting toward the trees; his rifle held high and shots fired at the Z’s.  In that moment, I sent a silent prayer that someone watched out for him. 

End Notes:

What? Jasper's alive? Michael's gone? There's rebels? Who is waiting for Celeste at the cove? 

So many questions even I have to ask. Answers coming soon, as well as, new faces. Let's see if Celeste can weather the storm. 

Who Are You by EJBradley
Author's Notes:

Oh man, thank you for your thoughts, and it has definitely made me think a lot about the direction of the story. I even stopped watching the Walking Dead, because I didn't want to be influenced by the awesomeness of the show. So anyway, here's the next chapter and I can't wait to read your comments. Enjoy!

“Turn this goddamn car around, or I will slit his throat!”

Everyone has moments in life where things spiral downhill fast; what should be under control, my life was no longer in the grasp of my hands, but being jig sawed by fate. I looked up at Sgt. Norris, contemplated my words and delivered the threat once more. “Stop the vehicle, or I will cut his throat open, under your protection.”

Time moved too fast for even my mind to comprehend, but my hunting knife was placed that at that delicate spot between the Adam’s apple and the jawbone. Norris’ hesitation sped up my reaction and I pressed harder into the soldier’s jugular. Even in the darkness, a trickle of blood contrasted with the soldier’s pale skin.

My eyes stayed on the Sgt., challenged him to refuse. “Sir?” the boy cried, felt the effects of a crazed woman.

“Don’t make me kill him…” I whispered and pressed harder. The boy groaned in anguish, but I kept my game face. I couldn’t leave Michael, not after everything he’s done for me.

“You’ll kill us all if we go back,” The Sgt spoke after he demanded that the van stop.

“Well, leave without me. I’m no good to you.” But I was to Michael…

“As you wish.”

Instantly, the van went into a wild U-turn and raced back toward the academy. We passed the convoy, which stopped immediately, but the Sgt. was already on his radio. We didn’t make it far, still on the grounds, however I needed to remember exactly what direction Michael ran in.

“Stop right here!” I ordered when we were about fifty yards away for the chaos. Abruptly, the van squealed in submission and he all were jerked from our seats. “Unlock the door.” And it clicked. Norris reached over the boy and I to open the passenger door. He gestured out toward the dark trees and burning ruins.

It was now or never, I thought and jumped out. I pushed the boy back inside and ran straight into the woods. Immediately, I had my bow at eye level, strained to pinpoint any predators. I was blind in the night, but I knew the sound and scent of the Z’s.

Once I reached the spot I seen Michael run to, I let out a loud birdcall. Quickly, I climbed the nearest tree and waited for a response. I sent another call and yet again nothing. Making quick work, I jumped out the tree and right into two Z’s. There was no time to run, so I sent an arrow flying. It caught the first creature right in the eye and down it went. I repeated my aim with the smaller Z, but the weapon shot right pass him. Quickly, I pulled my knife out and sprinted toward him. The sharp metal plunged deep into the skull, the crunch of his penetrated skull said I marked the spot, and with ease, the single blade slid out. Another Z was at my feet. I swiped it’s rotten blood on my pants and retrieved my arrows. My third call was carried on the wind as I trailed southeast.

The smell of those fuckers increased and I slowed down my movements. There must have been a lot around, either dead or searching. Michael had to be their target. I ran toward a monstrous tree with thick branches, high enough to give me ample cover. I struck my knife into the bark and used it as leverage. My right foot up and supported, I climbed to the first branch and perch there for a second. My fingers were placed across my mouth to muffle my heavy breaths as sluggish footsteps moved below me. I gagged and swallowed back vomit from the pure stench. There was a mob crossing.

Fuck, I thought and tried to make my breaths as shallow as possible. If they knew I was up here, then I’m as good as dead. So I did what I could, I became a ghost.

As their footsteps crunched amongst crisp leaves, I looked through bare trees at the academy. The main building continued to burn, illuminated the vast fields. Zs clustered around the scene, while the helicopters were no longer in sight. I listened for commotion, or sign of danger, and when silence greeted me I thought it was safe to drop, yet something stopped me.

A sparrow cry blew through the trees. I smiled at the familiar whistle, knew that it was Michael. I whispered back, and instantly, a small beam of green light hit me in the chest. I followed the glow to see its origins. About five trees apart, Michael sat perched on a branch as well. His dark silhouette huddled up against the bark. Excited, I made to drop again and run to him, but he sent another birdcall with haste. I paused, hid myself once more and listened.

The rotten smell was back, however not as big in quantity. I guessed two or three below; I could take them, but cautiously, I didn’t move. And then there was the growl. It was a scream like no other, one that took me back to the tunnel. It was the undead, but one of those mutated fuckers.

My mouth stayed covered by my hand, while I flattened my body as close to the tree trunk as possible. In the grayish blue glow of the moon, I watched as more filtered into this area. Drawn to something, their crippled bodies slugged around, sniffed through fallen noses and black holes. Michael’s laser point had disappeared and I strained to find him in the shadows of the trees. Unlike before, noise of any kind would be risky; our birdcalls must have sparked their curiosity.

‘Fuck,’ I cursed to myself and tried to monitor the movements below. I was caught, surrounded by many footfalls. Their weight crunch heavily on dried leaves and small branches, and with each sound, there seemed to be a hustle toward its source. I listened to it happen a few times, before I came up with a plan.

I looked at my wrist watch and slowly  moved to unclasp it.  In the confines of the tree, I managed to set an alarm to go off in the next minute. Quickly, I latched the arm wear to the sharp edge of my arrow and pointed south, toward the mob of Z’s that passed earlier. The obnoxious sound of the alarm would alert any undead, and the closer they were to each other, the more time we had to escape.

I took a deep breath and then let it soar. The low whistle of the wood echoed through the space before I recognize a little thump. The sound ignited a slight roar from below, I had the monsters attention. Now I had to wait.

My eyes scanned the area again for Michael, tried to gain his attention, but all the shades confused me. I reached my hand up to see if he would repeat the movement, but everything stayed the same. In my head, I knew the minute was almost up; I pulled another arrow and got ready to jump from the branch. “Come, on…” I repeated with hopes that everything would go smoothly. Suddenly, the annoying sound of the wake call screamed though the trees and alerted everything. A growl came from below and abrupt running filled the space. More and more footsteps ran underneath, with me counting as many as I could. Thirty was the close estimation by time the coast was clear and my feet touched the ground. Instantly, I ran in the direction of Michael, continued to run fast and light. I leaped every once in a while to keep my footsteps inconsistent and to decrease the sound. After I passed the fifth tree, I stopped and turned 360 degrees. I scanned the area for a sign of Michael but came up empty; however in the distance I spotted the sluggishness of several Z’s. I ran to a tree, and hid. I slid my bow around my back and pulled out my hunting knife.  I moved to the side to peer around the bark when something fell from the tree. Immediately a hand gripped my weapon and wrapped around my mouth.

“It’s me…Michael,” he whispered harshly, his breathing shallow and quick. I swung around to look at him to see a few scratches along his cheek and brow. “What the hell are you doing here?”

“I couldn’t leave,” I spoke quickly.

“You should’ve. I can’t keep myself alive if I have to think about you too,” he snapped.

“Well stop thinking about me. I’ve survived this long, I’m sure I can last one more night, even with thoughts of you surrounding every decision. I came back for you.” I longed to touch him, but kept my hands to myself.

“Really?” he asked, doubtful of my intentions.

“Yes,” I nodded, and instantly was pushed against the tree. His hands landed on the bark beside me while his head collapsed on my shoulder. “Michael?” I whisper, unsure of his reaction. I bit my tongue and bared his weight. “Are you hurt?” Finally, I whispered and he stayed the same, breaths shallow.

When I began to worry, his head came up and he laid a gently kiss along my forehead. “thank you,” he whispered, however his voice scared me. There was no fight in his words. I pulled away to identify his expression but he kept a poker face.

“Michael…”

I started but he cut me off. “You are great with distractions, but they’ll find us soon,” he said and stood at his full height. Instantly I grabbed him and flipped us around, his back was now against the tree, while I stood in front. The closeness of my movement left no space for air, and I gasp as his hands found my waist.

“There were some Z’s lingering beyond this tree. By now, they should be upon us.” With that, I closed my mouth and turned my head away from his calculated stare. I listened for any sign of movement, but once again was interrupted.

“How do you expect us to get out of here…”

“Shhh…” I sent him a sharp eye and went to closed eyed concentration. He stayed quiet while I tried to hear but everything was silent. Curious, I moved out of his grasp and peeked around the side of the tree. I gasped at the sight. All the Z’s I spotted heading our way, now lay dead on the ground, above them stood five armed soldiers. In the center Norris stood with a smile and his weapon rose. I moved completely out of Michael’s grasp to confront the force.

“You’re an asset now, girl.” Norris said, before more men stepped out of the shadows behind us.

“But what about…?” I looked toward Michael, with his hands raised above his head, and all his weapons stowed in their harness.

“and so is your friend. Shall we?”

Norris gestured toward the direction the van dropped me off at and the soldiers began to move, ironically Michael began with them. It wasn’t until he passed me that I noticed the nose of a rifle in his back, held by the soldier I grabbed for my own escape. The boy smirked and sent a nod to me as he placed pressure on the weapon and urged Michael to walk faster.

“Next time, I’m going to kill you…” I whispered and a light chuckle was his response.

As we exited the trees towards the waiting vans, Norris’ escorts all piled in their assigned vehicles, the same ten guys as earlier. Of course I was led to Norris’ vehicle, Michael as well. He was pushed into the back, and instantly I followed. His normal blank stare replaced any emotions, but his tense mouth relayed the anger he felt. I reached for his hand and curled my fingers through his. There was a slight tremor in his façade but slowly his fingers detangled from mine and stared ahead. I followed his lead, only crash into the stoic face of Norris; however his eyes weren’t on me. A silent transaction happened between the Sgt. and Michael. The intensity erupted and sent chills down my spine. At this point, Norris said I was the asset, and yet he looked at Michael like he was the reward.

“Shall we go sir?” the driver asked, as the other vans started their ignitions.

“Of course, son, now drive,” Norris ordered and took his seat in front of me, but behind the driver. Perplexed that he trusted us to ride behind him, the meeting of his gaze in the mirror informed me of how in control he was of this situation.

I turned quickly and looked out of the tinted windows. In the dark, there wasn’t much to see, but instead my mind raced with thoughts of the previous events; Jasper’s death, my potential suicide, and the existence of rebels. In two years, I stayed clear of rumors and gossip amongst the crazies, but now I didn’t know what to believe.

****

It took a long five hours drive before the convoy pulled to the side of the road. The early morning’s glow spread through the cool air and vast field of short weeds, made it easy for the heads of each of his men to seen and counted for. Most of the soldiers stretched in the ditch beside the road, some swallowed back energy bars I haven’t seen since the downfall of our nation, and others relieved themselves in the woods ten feet away. I climbed from the vehicle with only one intention. “Excuse me, Sgt. Norris, but you said I would be reunited with my friend, where is he?”

I caught the Sgt. at the nose of the van, with his head between his legs and his arms linked behind his back. As my question hung in the air, he continued with his deep stretch and came up a minute later. “We found your friend where you left him. He’s on his way to the cove.”

“Was he…alive?”

His eyebrows knit together in confusion, but soon the emotion dropped. “Alive?” he questioned.

“We left him because a pack of Z dogs chased us. The last image that haunts me is one of him being ravage by their pack leader. So do, understand my enquiry.” Norris reached his full height at my explanation and swallowed. His eyes scanned over the field, below his men lavished in the little freedom. He turned back to me in suspicion.

“Are you sure you saw the dog’s teeth on him?”

“No, but they were pretty close. What did you find?” I asked, suddenly nervous of his response. Had Jasper succumbed to his wound and died, but the undead didn’t segregate until the dead has risen. “What happened to Jasper?”

“Your friend is sick, extremely sick, but not with the disease of the undead. He was still alive with no other wound than the one in his abdomen.”

“Impossible, the dogs were all around him. Why didn’t they feed?” I shot down his words in disbelief, but needed more question answered.

“For the same reasons we avoid damaged food. Would you eat a pig if he had symptoms of something that could kill you?” With that he walked to the side of the van and whistled twice. While I stood in shock of his revelation, the soldiers obediently went to their assigned vehicles and got in.

“Celeste…” Norris called, his hand gestured for me to return to the car. Like the soldiers, I followed orders, but stopped right beside them man.

“Are you saying that these monsters gained the sense to pick their food based on survival?”

“I’m saying that this virus is far more sophisticated than what most people give credit. That’s why the research at the academy prevailed.”

“Then why would the government shoot it down…?” I challenged his theory, but he recovered.

“For the same reason’s they made it.” Suddenly, movement caught my eye and I spotted Michael just beyond us. Norris noticed him too, but didn’t seem surprise of the man’s eavesdropping. Once again, Norris smiled a Cheshire cat smile, which revealed that he did know a secret about my stranger.

Soft grey seats were my only comfort as I got into the car and watched Norris whisper to Michael. The guy remained numb in expression, but he did respond. Curiously, I observed the silent conversation before Michael jumped into the seat beside me, and behind the Sgt. Michael avoided my gaze and I waited until we were back on the road before I moved closer to him. “What did he say to you?” I whispered in his ear.

“Nothing,” he responded and looked down at me.

“It was more than nothing, Michael,” I countered and displayed agitation in his evasiveness.

His face softened at my reaction and a hand cupped my cheek. “Do you believe that I will keep you safe?” he asked.

“Of course,” I asked wholeheartedly. I had to believe in his word.

“Then leave it alone. Your safety is in your naivety, remember that,” and with that, I was once again shut out. Frustrated, I turned away, but not before meeting Norris’ eyes through the mirror. He was once again in control…actually, he was always in control, and now I wondered if I was the true asset. I looked over at Michael’s profile, so strong and composed, and whispered, ‘Who are you?’

 

 

 

End Notes:

Ahhh!!! Celeste makes me want to scream sometimes, but what is Michael hiding, and will the rebels welcome them with his secret. Also, I'm completely consumed with these creatures that have taken over my story, and we will learn more about the diseases of the fallen world and the conspiracies. So on to the next chapter I go, and I hoped you guys enjoyed. 

Lady in White by EJBradley
Author's Notes:

Hey guys, so this is a short but sweet chapter. 

Also special thanks to those who reviewed, you rock! hope you enjoy.

We crossed the South Carolina/Georgia Line hours ago, and the journey seemed to go anywhere. More empty towns, overgrown roads, and abandoned signs, displayed only the memories of a civilized North America. Most of the soldiers took this time to catch up on much needed sleep, while Michael, Norris, and I were the only passengers that stayed up. Once in a while I glanced at my companion, but his face kept forward, eyes in a blank stare. While Michael had checked out, Sgt. Norris hummed out tunes from Bach, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, and Stravinsky. Every so often, his fingertips would tap lightly against the driver’s seat in the style of a MET composer at his podium during an aria. I became lost in his crazed behavior, lost in the rhythm he imagined and brought to life; I became lost in his dream.

It wasn’t until the van started along an ascending road, did I pay attention to the outside world. No longer were we amongst the mundane countryside, but now we were swallowed, belly deep, in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Georgia. Before long, the convoy emerged through a series of dark tunnels carved out of the gray limestone, and into piercing, white sunlight.

My eyes shut quickly, and my face absorbed as much of the rays the tinted windows would allow. Slowly, I raised my eyes and exposed myself to the brightness. While fall approached, it seemed the sun craved to hold on to the life it kissed through summer, its rays spread like fingers across the lush green, red and brown trees, while highlighted a background of  blue rolling hills. It was rare to see such life right before death from anything…this was such untainted beauty that never changed in spite of the war. This must be what Samantha talked about…the freedom.

“Are we at the cabin?” Michael questioned with such force. He moved forward to get a better look out the front window, before he sat back and looked around.

“I never knew this place really existed…” I answered and shrugged, but Norris chuckled.

“Such a lovely treasure right under your nose, you’re innocence is charming, Celeste. “I stiffened under his comment and dismissed everyone by looking out the window.  The convoy stayed in their tight formation, while I wondered if Jasper and I would have been able to climb this hill. I continued to watch as we soared over the wooded area and wondered what waited at the top.

Soon the slope vanished and the road evened out. The trees spread apart, created more room for my eyes to take in. I watched in astonishment as a family of deer stood on alert in the distance, and few furry animals crossed our path. It was simple breathtaking, but nerves lingered in my gut.

Our van made a sharp right turn through a small roadway and stopped about fifty yards down. The tree lined driveway opened to a large circle way with a tiny cabin behind it. Immediately, I let my eyes take in the vision of my dreams and underwhelmed, I was the first to order the door unlocked. Instantly, Norris climbed out and offered me help, but my impatience had my foot on the ground before he could turn around. My attention went immediately to the structure.

Basic in design, the log cabin’s two front window displayed closed outdated drapes and damaged window sills. The small porch was battered and broken, while the patched roof missed more than a couple of shingles. How shocked I was over the terrain, the real surprise came from disappointment. “This isn’t it. Can’t be…” I repeated, walked toward the side of the house.

Again, I eyed the cabin from its left side and noticed the size didn’t increase; a perfect little box, on the side of a cliff. With no back space, it floated over a lush view of the blue valley; this place was too small. I turned to Norris, raged boiled and demanded he explain this. “You lied! You promised a safe haven, a place where the rebels hid, and this cabin is barely able to sustain Michael and I!” Betrayed, I singled out my companion as he slowly tucked his hands under his arm, close to his gun hoister.

Anger drove my feet further away from the group and closer to the view. I passed a couple of soldiers who lounged against trees, content with the environment. My eyes connected with Norris’ right hand man, the dark haired boy. “What?” I snapped.

“You don’t even know…” he spat back, then looked toward the cabin wall. I followed his gaze and discovered the source of his attention. A small black camera placed underneath the roof aimed right at me. I moved to the left, it followed.  I moved back, and again it was there. Immediately, I turned toward him for answers and he gestured behind me.

“There’s nothing be a view,” I said, and looked toward the landscape for emphasis.

“It’s what’s below that count,” he added and his hand reached out to the small of my back. He lead me closer to the back of the house, where only two feet of space was left before the drop off. Desperate, I looked down, and then I saw the rocks. Steps.  Small rock formations stood out from the face of the cliff, deliberately placed and angled for optimum advantage.

“Are those…stairs?” I whispered.

“Yes. They led to the Haven,” he answered with a gentle smile.

“Well, then what is this?” I asked, referred back to the cabin.

“A decoy; obviously a successful one,” Norris added suddenly, Michael right on his heels.  

While five guys stayed back to hide the vans amongst the scenery, the Sgt. was the first to step on the rocks, angled himself so his back was to the wall and his face toward the view. “Come, your presence must be greatly anticipated,” he said to me, before quickly retreating downward.

One by one, the men took the stairs with ease and vanished below. At last it was my turn, so I applied a brave face and took my first step, but the rocks shock under my weight. Terrified, I backed away, right into a figure. “Don’t concentrate on the movement; it does it to us all. Just keep going…” the sweet sound of advice came from the same soldier. What was once midnight black hair, now shined a dark shade of whiskey under the sun’s rays. I stared at the soldier, tried to figure out where I knew him, and how could I forget him. “Take another step, he’s not going to let you fall.” Emerald eyes looked passed my head and focused on the only man to stop midway down. My head swung to Michael, whose blues watched with intensity, however my hesitation caused more trouble than I thought.

“Come on little bird, spread those wings,” Norris yelled for below and fire ignited within. My skin crawled, while I ached to throw him over the cliff. I came here for one reason, and that had nothing to do with his bullshit. However, I bit my lip and moved forward.

With motivation, I sped down the stone stairs, to land in an outdoor garden. Its size spanned the whole floor plan of the cabin, with greenery and lush vegetables in almost every corner. A small white rock pathway weaved around the space, created an appropriate stepping stone through the fertile land. I never saw such an effective Eco space before, even rain buckets were scattered around.

“We have four more, all much bigger,” the familiar soldier whispered quickly, then left to stand by the Sgt.’s side. He left me stuck on stupid as I tried to comprehend the gravity of what my eyes witnessed. Though Norris seemed like he was fool of shit, the man was right so far…

“Look up,” and that husky voice was back. I didn’t have to look far to meet Michael’s eyes, since he stood right next me, and I eased into his closeness. I followed his gaze to the opened ceiling, noticed the cabin sat right above, its floor boards missing. Where black patches lined the ceiling, I noticed they were actually tinted windows. The blue sky was now a dark purple, and the clouds a vibrant lavender.

“This is amazing…” I whispered only for his ears, and dropped my eyes back toward the garden. So much light, hit every corner, illuminated the natural colors. I walked forward and approached a pepper plant. From tiny stems, robust yellow, orange, and red bell peppers sat. I looked amongst its neighbors and observed more of the plants; stacks and stacks grew on top of each other, each fought for more nutrients. “How…? How is this place a secret?” I called out to Norris and at the same time I realized we had new comers.

Fully erect now, I looked into eyes that called forth months of nightmares, eyes so familiar that for a second I believed they belonged to my dear friend.

“Karen, allow me to introduce you to Charles Darwin and Amelia Earheart,” Norris announced, all humor gone, however the strawberry blonde woman chuckled. This was a face I knew, a promised face at the end of the journey. Two years it took, but somehow I made it.

“Very original, but I’m all too familiar with your birth name,” she smiled at me and stepped forward, her arms wide. However, I refused to move, couldn’t take one more step.  

A strange feeling suddenly drowned me; Regret. As I looked at her, the more I felt it. I shouldn’t be here, not when her daughter didn’t make it. All at once, excuses attacked my mental reasoning, and yet, all I uttered was worry about for her sterile white lab coat. “I can’t hug you, I’m disgusting.” I denied, but Karen would have none of it.

“My, dear…there is nothing more to me right now, than wearing the burden of your travels, even if it’s only the dirt. You were Sam’s….” she began, but even her voice haunted me.

“STOP!” Instantly, I erupted and yelled. All sense left me and I felt the urge to vomit. “Stop, please…don’t treat me with kindness when you have no idea what I had to do…what she went through…” I begged, but Karen was the one to overcome, one step at a time.

The hum of silence rose against the backdrop of the wild. Everyone, every solider, every worker, Michael, and even Norris, froze as the woman crossed the space and broke down all my barriers. Before I knew it, tears raced down my dirt stained face, their salty kisses caressed my lips, yet added brine to the wounds of my heart.

I watch in devastation as Karen stopped a foot away for me, barefaced and watered eye. I choked off her sweet scent of honey, a smell too precious for anyone to wear during these times. She was perfect, as I remembered from before the war; slowly she became everything I truly missed, my own mother.

“Celeste, darling…we are all here because of our sacrifices, and if my daughter is in a better place, than I shall bear that weight for you as well. My Sammie is not here because she knows that there are people who need me more. You and Samantha are one in the same through my eyes.”

And her soft arms wrapped around me; I collapsed.

Over and over, my sobs became even harder for me to understand, but the pain bled through my cries. Karen wrapped her tiny limbs tighter, stronger than anyone has and brought us down to the ground. Our heads on each other’s shoulders, her hands soothed my back. She, too, cried. Together, we bounded ourselves by heartache, sorrow, despair, and unexpected liberation. “I have relief knowing that you are here with us, that those who shared much with her will now share much with me. Now, sleep, dear…just give in.”

***

Beep…Beep…Beep...Beep.Beep.Beep. BEEP. BEEP…BBBEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPP!

I jolted up from the blaring sound of my alarm clock and rubbed my wrist to disengage, only to find leather binds around my wrist. Eyes wide, I searched through a dim red glow for my wrist. My arms felt heavy, way too dense to be attach to my body. I pulled my right wrist, looked for a shadow but I saw double. Instantly, I looked down at the shirt I wore, or lack of. My clothes were replaced with a dotted hospital gown and a thin white blanket hid missing pants.

The beeping sound wasn’t from my alarm; I looked at the heart monitor machine. A sophisticated device showed lines that jumped off the screen in both directions, as my heart raced against my ribcage. I tried to focus on anything else in the dark room, but my dilated eye were disoriented, my vision blurred. Focused on one of the two visions of a call button right within reach of my fingers, I alternated pressing both rapidly; I was hyperventilating.

As the seconds increased, turned to minutes, my voice echoed off the walls. The nightmares I kept at bay crawled out the corners, rained from the ceilings; heavy breaths, which was my own, now, copied those of the Z’s. My fingernails clawed against the restraints…my back rose off the bed…my thoughts raced.  Why was I alone? How did I get into a hospital? Why did I feel pressure sore through my veins? When did the IV liquid become cool? Why are my eyelids heavier? Who… turned… off… the… beeping? No…more…nightmares…no…more…dreams…just…blackness…just…sleep.

 

 

 

 

 

End Notes:

Has Celeste finally found a place to belong, or is the cove just smoke and mirrors? well find out that and more next chapter. 

Also, on a side note, it was brought to my attention that my title might be lacking in representing the story, and because I am always mindful of your thoughts and how to improve my writing, I wonder if more of you feel the same. What are your thoughts?

Always, thanks!!!

Karen's 11 by EJBradley
Author's Notes:

Hey thanks everyone! So thinking about the title, I've decided to try something simple and changed it. I hope it wasn't hard for you to find.

And in the spirit of the weekend starting early, here's a long treat. Enjoy,

*****

Beep…Beep…Beep...Beep.Beep.Beep. BEEP. BEEP…BBBEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPP!

I jolted up from the blaring sound of my alarm clock and rubbed my wrist to disengage, only to find my wristwatch missing. Images of dark woods and weird Z’s fogged up my memory and quickly, the last prior days flashed back. However, as I looked around this room, I had no recollection on how I got there.

Beep.

I turned my head to the right and observed a monitor, slimmed in size and as white as the walls, this sleek device looked like nothing I’ve ever seen before. Markings scrolled across the screen, my heart rate monitored in minutes and my temperatures at the bottom right corner. As I continued to look, I got a sense of déjà vu. I turned my head to survey the room and was entranced by a large portrait window. Unlike other hospital square panes, this one was round and uneven, extremely organic in shape. The architect must’ve envisioned rocks or boulders, and modeled the window out of that. Weird, however the view was simple breathtaking.  The grey sky illuminated the Blue Mountains, while the fall leaves clung to the trees in desperation. All I needed was a book, a knit blanket and warm cookies, and I would never leave; but this wasn’t three years ago. There was no contentment in this world; there was no settlement or staying put. Only needed to remember to fight or flight.

Energized, I sat up and instantly, my back cracked in rejoice. The rest was well deserved and much needed, but I had to find Karen, and Jasper, and… My eyes looked upon a lone chair in the corner by the window. A memory of the SEAL came forth; huddled in that chair, fast asleep. Now, it was vacant and seemed undisturbed; no trace of Michael. I wondered where he could have gotten to.

I pulled the sensor from my finger and swung out of bed. I expected tenderness from my joints, yet everything felt great, like I just did hot yoga and ran a couple of miles. I was completely warmed up for today’s journey. I walked over to one of the doors in the room and opened to reveal a small closet. Hung amongst a robe was a pair of neutral grey cotton pants and a matching shirt. A matching underwear set was placed on the shelf above and white slip on shoes sat on the floor. Nothing fancy, just your basic, environmentally friendly outfit.

Across the closet was another door that led to an en-suite bathroom; personals were stowed in their rightful place, nothing missed. Quickly, I hopped in the shower; scrubbed myself under the hot water in ways you can’t achieve out of a bucket. I even washed my hair. I took advantage of the brush, comb, and blow-dryer, as well as the toothbrush, paste, and light makeup, before exiting to get dressed. In under an hour, I was ready to face the world and all its many secrets. The first thing was to find Karen.

***

Two flights up and I was on the main level. I watched out of a window the same garden we entered from, while several workers went around picking the crops. Their skillful hands were quick and they worked in a rhythmic pattern. Amazed, I thought to ask them about for help in my search, but a long hallway stopped me. Intrigued, I followed, as more organic shaped windows led my way. I passed a bunch of closed doors, with no words or symbols to identify them. However, beside each was a small black box that I assumed was for security measures. Upon the end of the hall, I hit a three way. Pulled to the right, I turned and cruised, as the windows looked upon another garden. However this one was brown and lifeless. I looked upon small mounds of mush and figured it was a compost waste system. I looked to a gaping hole above and the forest trees hovered, that’s when I heard voices. I looked behind me and immediately spotted a door left ajar. It took a short five steps to reach it and then the voices became comprehensive.

 “…We must start phase 1,” was a command from an older man, age and wisdom laced in his deep tone.  I edged closer to the door as an angry voice spilled through the crack.

“They have already infiltrated the colony, but we can’t move forward until we get someone in a better position. Our four would never be able to accomplish the mission from their place.” The sense of urgency sparked something within the room and several voices agreed.

“What about the president’s son?” this came from the first man

However my heart quickened when I recognized Norris’ voice. “I think we’ve found the eldest, but…”

“We’re waiting on DNA matching to confirm,” and this one belonged to Karen. Level-headed, her tone and confidence echoed through a quiet room, everyone hushed to hear her words. “It will only take a couple of more hours. It was hard getting enough samples.”

“And the seeds?” the older man questioned.

“Well our four reports great improvement, nothing has changed,” she answered and soon the conversation was only amongst those two. Their talked turned to technical medicine terminology and codes of some sort, and yet I milked in every word like I was a part of this meeting.

“and her…?” The man asked.

“She’s improving but, the boy’s doing phenomenal. All of his vitals are better than normal, even the wounds have recovered quickly. He should be up and walking in…”

“How long until we start Phase V?” Suddenly, a new voice interrupted the conversation, strong, deep, and husky. His baritone sound bellowed louder in the hallway.

“9 months,” Karen announced, and this caused uproar.

“Can it not be sped up?” the new voice demanded more than questioned.

“After everything we are fighting, went through, chancing with this, you wish that we speed up the only natural remedy we might have, absolutely not. We need to give them both time to adjust to the task at hand before Phase II, and we need time to observe the development, to document and record every step, for regeneration…” Suddenly, the door opened and a man walked straight into me. He was an older white man with harsh eyes and a scowl across his face. “What are you doing here?” he snapped, and immediately, I blanched. He took one look at the outfit Karen left for me and his black beady eyes returned to my face.  “Aren’t you supposed to tending to the greens, before they freeze?” Speechless, I was caught off guard by his hand on my upper arm. Tightly, the man began to drag me away from the door while I stuttered an explanation.

“Lt. Davis! She is not a worker at the Cove.” Immediately, the hall was filled with Karen’s voice, her anger laced in every word.

Quickly, the man spun, let me go, I did the same. “Well, what the hell is she doing snooping around during our private meetings?” He barked.

“She is our private meeting.” Karen responded and then approached. She stopped right in front of hime and pointed toward me. “Look at her, remember her face, because she is the future of everything you believe. Insult her again, and I will, personally, make sure she takes your seat at future meetings.” Her deathly eyes met mine and she melted, suddenly. She offered me a hand and smiled. “How was your rest, dear?”

“It was good, thank you,” I said as I watched the man fume over her shoulder. I could see his will to say something back, start a confrontation, but he didn’t. Eventually, he flipped Karen off behind her back and disappeared back into the room. “Sorry. I came for you and when I heard your voice, I stopped.” I lied, there’s no need for her to know I heard anything.

“Oh that’s fine. I wonder why no one called to tell me you were up.” She looked down at a thin silver wristwatch and started sprouting off the names of different nurses on duty. I, however, remembered the conversation. 

“What are the Phases are you planting?” I asked and Karen’s face looked up suddenly. “…well I came close to the door at that point…” I explained and smiled awkwardly, however, she just laughed.

“No need to be shy, or eavesdrop, anymore. You’re interest in the cause is welcomed. As for the Phases, they’re our way of battling this war.”

“Against the Z’s?” I countered.

“Against Washington, darling.” I wasn’t surprised by her words. The Rebels hatred kept coming back to the government, and while I wasn’t a fan of the system, there were bigger fish to fry.

“Karen, the government no longer exists and if it does, trust me, it has nothing compared to the Z’s. They’ve adapted, changed. I saw them with my own eyes at that military school. A shit ton of them clustered in the tunnel below. They looked like nothing I’ve ever seen before.“ I urged for her to see the danger I felt. The rebels should be helping stranded people against the ‘real’ enemies. However, Karen’s reaction was unexpected.

“You were at the holding cell?”

“That’s where we came upon Norris and his men.”

“Come with me.” She gripped my hand and nearly dragged me toward that big door. Now it was shut.  Quickly, she punched in a code and the door unlocked. Karen wasted no time and immediately we were in a small office. It was dark except for three flat screen monitors that showed a room. In the corner of each screen a tiny clock ran for almost three hours. Yet, Karen had me moving again. We passed through another secured door before faced a set of stairs. The voices were louder, not fed through a microphone.

“I think she’s lost her shit with one. There’s no way this girl is useful…”

“Lt. Davis!” Karen snapped as we rounded a corner and was submersed in grand conference room. Large, home movie screens lined one wall, while several displays hung from the ceiling around the room. A soft yellow glow bore down on the oval shaped mahogany desk from an overhead track lighting system.

Karen guided me closer to the table, where one abandoned seat marked her spot. Next to her was two more figures in white lab coats, there were three men in office suits, then that guy Davis;  Norris sat opposite Karen, his lap dog in the next seat, while the other three were lined with people in military greens. 11 pairs of eyes looked at me in astonishment, while I coward behind the tiny woman.

“Everyone, this is Celeste Freeman, and she, along with Jasper, fought for two years to find us, on the words from my dead daughter. How many of you can say you’ve done the same? No one.” She looked at me and her voice softened but the anger was still within. “Celeste, you are looking at some of the former directors of the free world, all turned away because they learnt the truth and posed a threat to the mechanism of our state. They can offer answers to any question you have, what can you offer them? Their freedom.”

Karen’s rage turned back to the round table and before I knew it, she held a remote to the largest screen and clicked a couple of buttons. I made to speak, but suddenly images appear. Riots, fighting, soldier killing civilians…and then Z’s, the ones from the tunnel. “Celeste, this is a recording from a week ago, sent to us from Europe. These images are comprised from France, Italy, Spain, Belgium, and so forth.” She stopped on an image of a woman in plains clothes being bitten by a Z while a guy in uniform stand and watch. “Their government is cleansing their country by killing their own people. Those things are a war strategy, not a mutation in nature.”

Suddenly sound exploded throughout the room, and the woman’s screams filled the space. I gasped as more images spanned across, each as gory as the one before, and then it stopped. The screen went black and then ignited again, displayed a panoramic view of paradise. Luxury homes floated over beautiful white sandy beaches and children played; laughter as a soundtrack. I choked up at the jovial sound, something I haven’t heard in years.

By their own submission, my feet drew me closer to the screen. The video seemed to be shot by a cheap device and the panning of it amateur, but it did the job and showcased a wealth island community. “What is this?” I asked over the roar of the waves.

“This is your capitol, your government.” This time, the voice belonged to Norris. He stood behind me, yet close enough that his breaths were on my neck. “And if you are doubtful, look in the foreground…” An arm extended past my left shoulder to point toward the top of the screen. I followed and froze at the brick wall lined along the island’s edge. While one side was free to the sweeping oceans waves, the inland side was blocked by a mountain of carved stone. Spiraled barbed wiring ran across the top, while watch towers stood a couple of feet apart. The contrast between lavish living and fort amazed me, yet repelled me at the same time.

Instantly, the video was once again replaced by a picture. The image from a plane showcased an extensive layout of the large island. Huge homes were mainly on the beachfront, while large buildings were centralized and then perfect square scattered closer to the walls. Even though most of the structures were compact on its patch of land, fields of greens and large gardens showed up toward the southern coast.

A red laser pointed at an x marked in the center, while several green dots sat on top of properties. “X marks the spot,” this came from Davis, his sarcastic voice was hard to miss.

Karen was by my side again, and in a soothed voice, she explained the layout. “Celeste, X is the new Capitol building now. All of the green dots show the homes of the president, congress members, state officials, Politians…” and then more green dots popped up. “…celebrities, the 1 percenters, and everything highlighted in orange are reserved for military and workers.” The perfect squares by the wall, were the only things in orange, the furthest and most cramped place on this map.

“How do you know this?” I turned toward the table. How did any of them know this?

“Because most of them came from there,” she answered and then slowly, one by one, about eight people nodded; the two doctors, the three business men, Davis, and two Army members; the only other woman was dressed army green.

Overwhelmed, my head whirled as I searched for someone familiar, someone I trusted to help comprehend this. “Where’s Michael?” I asked abruptly, and a few people were puzzled by the name. “Karen, where’s the guy I came here with?” I looked at her directly and she looked at Norris.

“Darwin…” he translated and that’s when I saw signs of recognition.

“Frankly, I don’t know where he’s been placed. I’ve…I’ve been so wrapped up in your recovery.”

“Well, who knows?” I asked, quite suspicious and a little worried.

“I saw him, with a rifle, headed outside.” Everyone turned to the far side of the room, and realized the comment came from Norris’ lap dog.

“Well, I need to find him. He should hear this, all of this. He’s more than a SEAL, right?” I said and looked toward Norris for support. Ironically, the guy met me with a blank stare. “Norris…? I know you agree, you said so right after I went back for him.” This time, I looked at the group. “He even knew about the underground tunnel at the academy, knew it like the back of his hand. I’m sure he has useful insight.” It was only when I stopped talking that I noticed the hush amongst the scholars. Some looked on with interest, while others had eyes on Norris and Karen. The Army woman spoke up, “And how do you know about his knowledge with the tunnel, Celeste?” his voice was sharper than Karen’s, but kind all the same.

“Because he led me through it. You all say that I’m an asset; well he might be on too. Where’s my bow?” I asked Karen.

“Bow? Why do you need a weapon?”

“Because I’m going hunting.”

“Not alone, you’re not,” Norris shot out and before I knew it, his lap dog advanced toward me.

“You don’t know these woods, Celeste. Sage will help you.” Put off from the escort, I quickly made my way toward the exit after Karen told me where I could find my bag and weapons, however I did hear her message to the soldier, “and make sure she stays in the covered area.”

***

“What’s the covered area?” I asked once we were outside and up on the cabin level. Immediately, I sucked in the fresh mountain air and felt my lungs expand eagerly. Not accustomed to being shut up indoors, I realized there was a change in me while under the ventilation of the cove. I felt alive now, with my coat on, boots and full set of weapons, I was my old self. I looked at the soldier, Sage, who also changed from his normal uniform and now wore a pair of dark jeans and a black winter jacket.  A rifle was strapped to his back, but otherwise he seemed weaponless, however I figured he had some tricks hidden in his pockets.

“The covered area, are all the places within sight. The same cameras you saw on the cabin are strapped to trees, marks our vicinity and allow the cove to monitor the land,” he answered honestly, without signs of suspicions.

“Then he’s not there. Can you lead me to the uncovered areas?”

“Technically yes, but I have orders.”

“You’re orders are to help me find my companion, and he’s smart enough to stay invisible. Now stop being a wuss, let’s go find him.” I raised an eyebrow and upped the challenge. I saw the mischief in his eyes, and his knowledge of the grounds would be beneficial. “Favor for a favor…” I added anyone smart wouldn’t resist favors in this world; those were the very things that kept you alive.

And he took it. “Follow close, especially when we get to the stream.”

Quickly, Sage led me deeper and deeper into the woods. The grey skies lit our path, and yet covered Michael’s. I wasn’t positive that he came this way, or would still be here, but somewhere I knew he wouldn’t leave, so I trekked on.

We continued in silence, Sage and I. We followed the covered trailed, and true to his words, camera followed our every footstep. “Are there people watching us on the other side?” I called out to my leader.

“Not usually. They have motion sensors that can easily detect if it’s human, or human like, from animals. Most of the time, animals are not recorded therefore not tracked, but humans are.”

“So I thought you were supposed to lead us off the covered trail.” I said, suspiciously when we stopped. Sage’s attention was on something along the tree we stood by, and before I could inspect, he darted away, fast.

Immediately, I followed, as instant fear shot up. I listened for the sounds of footsteps behind us and ran faster out of sheer instinct. There was no need to ask questions; when someone runs, they are normally running away from something. 

Soon we approached a stream and I remembered his words. Without hesitation, the guy took a giant leap over the slow moving water and I followed. By the time my feet hit the ground, Sage had sped up and I had to do the same or loose my guide.

The trees began to grow wilder; the land seemed more. Weeds grew out the ground, while fallen leaves and branches littered. What manicured acres we crossed, were now, no man’s territory.

Instantly, my body came to life and I excelled, eventually met Sage foot by foot. Astonished the man looked with a smile and his eyes gleamed, but then everything stopped; I heard a sparrow.

Quickly, I dug my feet in the dirt and halted so fast that I went tumbling over my own feet, however I recovered quickly. I shot up and looked around the abandon forest; skinny trees mixed with grand oak ones made sight horrible. I repeated the melody, and the birdcall came again, however from a different location. Michael was on the move. “So you want to play,” I said as the third whistle came and I spun around, bow and arrow already raised, and I let go.

“Fuck!” Sage yelled in fear as the arrow shot right passed his head into a tree about fifteen feet away. “What the hell was that?”

“Shh…”I said immediately and stared at my arrow. I readied another, and waited for the call, but I had a feeling it wouldn’t come. “Got…you,” I whispered confidently, and then the next second, a blur of black shot from the back of the tree and raced further into the woods. And the sparrow was back.

I shot after Michael, this time trailing his every move. I identified his black canvas bag which by the weight looked to be filled and his rifle that was strapped to his back. His long legs widened in stride and he increased his run, weaved in and out of trees.

A whistle brought my attention to the new soldier in my life. Sage glanced to our left and then smiled. He would help me trap him. Inside, I laughed at the trick and continued on behind Michael. I tracked him and when I thought he would turn, I slowed my movement and let an arrow fly. As expected, Michael repelled from the flying weapon and stayed right on the course I wanted.

We kept the chase for ten minutes before Michael suddenly stopped. Focused on only the man, I watched him look to his right and then immediately fled left. “What?” I questioned and almost three seconds later, Sage raced from opposite direction of me and went immediately after Michael, a deep determination written across his face. Me, the much slower of the two, tried to keep up, but the boys moved too fast and as quickly as I saw them, they vanished. Soon I ran alone, in a direction I wasn’t sure of, in woods I didn’t know.

I stopped again, made sure to gradually slow, and listened. There was silence, not even the crack from a boot crunch on fallen wood. I listened harder and then heard a shuffle. Immediately, I raced to the sound in time to hear a body hit and a groan. On alert, I armed myself instantly and took cover. More constant hits could be heard before a curse came from Sage. I ran closer and froze when I saw the men fighting, however they fought each other.

Michael delivered a blow to Sage’s cheek and the boy flew against a tree, however he recovered quickly and ran. He tackled Michael to the floor, before they tussled in the leaves for the upper hand. “Stop it!” I yelled, but they continued as if I said naught. Somehow each man gained his footing and stood. I watched as Sage pulled out some underground MMA moves, and attacked Michael with his feet. “Sage!” I yelled just as Michael grabbed the boy’s ankle and flipped him on to the ground. I yelled for them to end it again; this time I gained Sage’s attention.

“We’re just playing…”he lied, and stood, his eyes determined to end this violently. My attention turned to the older man.

“Michael! What the hell?”

“Just, stay out it,” he snapped back, and then turned to face Sage as the boy sent an ending blow to Michael abdomen, the exact spot of the wound he had when I found him. Michael dropped to his knees in a pool of dried up leaves, his palms slammed against the dirt to catch him. My heart exploded in pain, since I knew of his injury, however before I could aid, Sage was gearing back for another blow.

Immediately, energy surged through my limbs and I had an arrow strung back and flying within seconds. I watched as the weapon surged through the air like it was on fire, and ripped right across Sage’s chest and arm. With a loud thump, it smashed into the heart of the tree, needle deep.

Emerald eyes shot at me and before I knew it, I reached back for another arrow and aimed it right at his pelvis. “This time I will be spot on,” I said and eyed the guy.

A mixture of emotions crossed his face, however disbelief and astonishment stood out the most. I could tell he knew I was serious, however he itched to finish the fight with a KO; he was still in his fighting stance.

I held Sage’s eye for two seconds more, before the boy chuckled and called out, “It was only a game…I’ll wait for you by the stream, but you don’t meet me in five minutes, they’ll come looking for you.” He walked away then, and yet I was left frozen.

As Michael tried to gain his breath on the ground, I tried to reason my need to protect him, against an ally no less. “You idiot,” I choked out instead and snapped back to reality. I put my bow and arrow away and ran to him. I lowered to the ground and tried to see over his arched back. “Are you okay?”

“Why are you here?” the words came out a harsh whisper. Once again, I was reminded of the last time I went looking for him.

“Why else, I was looking for you,” I countered, with an attitude. He was going to a pain my ass soon.

Michael’s head snapped up and eyed me from only inches apart. “Then what do you want?” he asked aggressively.

Caught off guard, I went on defense mode. “Excuse me, but I’m the one who woke up in a strange room to find you missing. I’m sorry if I wanted to make sure you were okay.”

“And why wouldn’t I be? I mean we are in fucking heaven…oh wait, it’s Haven…whatever the same fucking thing, all a bunch of lies and bullshit that you are too naïve to realize. Do you even know what this place is, who this, Karen, has become?”

“And you do? Because I’m sure they are the only ones who care if we have a full meal, or a goodnight’s rest, security…or even know the truth!” An intensity burned through me from our proximity and rage had my blood boiling, however I couldn’t turn away from him; he had me glued to this spot.

“The truth? The truth, Celeste, is that this place is six levels deep, and you’ve only seen two. What’s below? What are they hiding and for what costs? A crack and bull story about the government creating a virus to kill everyone in their own country? What the advantage in taking control when there are civilians to follow you?” His hands flew to the little bit of hair that grew out; back and forth his hands rubbed hard. He was red with anger, I was glad the emotion was mutual.

“Well at least, I am looking for answers, questioning more than what bullshit they’ve fed me. You know, I didn’t force you to come here to be a bitter son of a bitch.” I spat and made to stand.

“Well then you forced me to come here for nothing,” and my heart shuttered, ached at his words.

My mouth opened to say something, anything but air was the only thing that escaped. Relying on my default comment, “Oh, fuck you!” I said in retaliation and slid away on my knees. I was seconds away from standing and bolting, when I heard him.

“Please…” the harsh whisper would’ve gone unheard by anyone else, but I was a damn good hunter.

 

“What…please, what?” I snapped in his face; however instead of words, Michael suddenly gripped in me and brought me to him. It was Michael’s lips, his hot tongue, and those strong, long fingers that I got in return. 

End Notes:

OMG...i don't know what to do with these two, actually I do but all in due time. So I'm going to shut up, and not give any details away, but I can't wait for the next chapter. 

 

P.s. HAPPY THANKSGIVING, Y'ALL! thank you for all loving and I can't wait to read your feedbacks over the holiday. Now on to the next chapter. 

Sacrifices by EJBradley
Author's Notes:

Sorry for the delay, but this was a chunky chapter for me, lots of research involved. Anyway, I hope you enjoy!

…mmm…Michael, slow down,” I whispered in between his heated, hungry lips. My body begged for more of his succulent kisses, wept against the layers of clothing that separated us. There was an energy that passed through our bodies; it surged through my limbs, leaving the heat of carnage in its trail. I shivered under the touch of his fingertips at my waist. Like little insects, those digits played with the hem of my coat, and took the plunge underneath seconds later. Unable to cure my ascended libido, I was forced to let go. My fingers weaved themselves through his short hair, forced Michael’s lips to deepen, and his taste to consume me. “Ahh…” I gasped against his cheek as his teeth grazed over my collarbone.

Soon my coat was unbuttoned fully and hung open; his body instantly filled the gap before the bitter cold could bite.  “Michael, slow, down,” I whispered, my harsh breath floated away like little clouds. More and more they came as Michael’s lips kissed, sucked, licked, and nipped along my neck.

“You don’t want me to,” he answer was assertive and labored, also like he was in pain. Out of frustration, I remove my hand from his neck and slid it in between us.  How could something feel so good, and yet so risky?  Lightly, I pushed on his vest, but he growled in warning. His hands found the hem of my coat, and once eager fingers found flesh, they circled my waist and gripped hard against my bottom.

“Ahh…” Breaths quickened and hearts raced. With haste, Michael untangled his fingers from my body and attacked his baggage. One by one, things fell with heavy thumps. I watched, amazed, by the pile up; the black canvas bag filled with his catches, the rifle, his empty gun holster, his vest…he continued to shed underneath my gaze, however we were no longer alone.  

“Ahem…” The loud, throaty sound echoed through the small clearing.

Within seconds, Michael had me wrapped his arms and his Beretta pointed straight at the intruder. Expected to see Sage, my eyes widened when I met Norris’ scowl.  

“…you must hate me…”Michael cursed and a dropped a slew of F-bombs. Once again, Norris’ ten boys were all in formation around us, guns now pointed in return. I turned away like a coward, only to catch a calculated gaze from Sage. He stood a couple of feet behind the front line, while his gun was aimed at the ground. Without giving me time to react, those emerald eyes looked away, focused beyond us.  

“What is this?” Michael commanded, while I zipped up my coat in an attempt to maintain my dignity from my knees. Head held high, I glared up at Norris like the bastard he was.

“You were informed to stay within the covered area…and here you are, uncovered,” the old man announced, as if we were underage teenagers on a camping trip.  A deep growl rumbled in my ear and I realized Michael was still close; his arms had yet to move, only tightened protectively at Norris’ condescended tone.

“We’re not prisoners. We should be allowed…” I stared only to be shot down by Norris. With his guns holstered to his side, the brute approached as a predator would. I met his stare as he crossed over distance in five long strides. He stopped upon us, and he his right hand shot out toward me. In his shadow, I watched as the old man froze, his offer extended until my fingers wrapped around his hand. With agility and strength, I was snatched to my feet by rough, worn out fingers. Then he let go. “Let’s get back to Karen before she orders the whole squad to search for you.” Norris only spoke to me, his voice surprisingly light against the fall breeze.

Norris began to walk away without any attention given to Michael. I turned to the Seal, who was already dressed and up on his feet. “Better get, before Karen alerts the president of your disappearance.” He snapped out, bitterly. Michael failed to follow when I moved forward.

“Aren’t you coming?” I called out behind as the soldiers started to close in around me.

“Nope, sweetheart,” He answered bluntly, his knife out. He stripped away at a small branch to make it into a spear. Michael’s eyes on me sent a slow shiver down my spine and an image of our naked flesh against a tree crossed my mind. I opened my mouth to counter his reluctance, but Norris cleared his throat once again. The old man’s eyebrow arched in impatience, “Go, Celeste! I’ll find you later,” Michael called out, his back to the group in dismissal.

“Promise?” I yelled back and instantly, those broad shoulders went ridged and high. “Promise…?” I repeated and waited for his response.

“Go.”

Michael didn’t give me time argue; he walked off in the opposite direction of the cove. Left alone, my anger boiled and humiliation won the best of me. Without another word, I raced back to the cove’s entry way, moved so fast the soldiers were caught off guard. I pushed past Norris and Sage to become the leader, yet before long, I moved into a sprint.

Strong, muscular legs carried me faster and faster through the chilly weather, across the slow stream, and in reach of the tracking cameras. Before long, I broke the tree line and circled the cabin. This time, I took the steps two at a time and barged through the, now, empty garden. Maddened, I punched in the code to open the front doors and ran straight to the conference room. I didn’t know if I would find her, but something told me that this would be a great starting point.

Over the polished concrete floor, my boots squeaked in agony from my harsh footsteps, and the arrows clanged in their holder. Pure rage was the only motivation I had to enter the conference room without Michael, and once I was reminded of the man, my annoyance grew.

Outside the door, I banged on it for dear life, glared into the hallways safety camera, and waited. If the room was empty, I’m sure someone would be alarmed by my fist against the dark metal. I began to use my boot; however the welded hinges left little room for movement.

“Karen!” I shouted after seconds passed and then I heard a voice beyond the locked door. I pounded harder and called her name again, before there was a click and the door sprung out from the threshold; Karen stood on the other side, alarmed. “Why would you send Norris after me?”

There were no words that could describe her response. Caught off guard, Karen displayed a mixture of confusion along with anger; red cheeks and nose flared up quickly as her eyes squinted. At the moment a man of Middle Easterner descent walked into the small office from the conference room stairs; his face was of pure delight. “Well, hello, you must be Celeste Freeman. I’m Dr. Marab Adika. I’m so happy to see you’ve survived the journey.”

“Marab…please, can you give us a few minutes?” Karen cracked, her voice low and little hoarse. For the first time I noticed the deep bags under her eyes, and the slight gray color. Karen was a thin woman by nature, but without her white lab coat, her frail body was on full display. Bony fingers weaved themselves together at her waist, while her gold wedding band hung on a thin chain around her neck. She no longer fit it.

Post war world left many physical effects on people, all to the point where one became unrecognizable. With constant travel and less food supplies, most people toned down drastically, their loose, weathered skin became a reminder of their fuller days. On the other side, age lines and wrinkles pushed time forward on the body and people aged faster. This was the effect on fifty year old Karen.

Suddenly, Dr. Marab’s throat cleared and he sent a quick nod to Karen. A pearly white smile was sent my way and then the guy disappeared to the conference room. A few seconds passed while she composed her thoughts and then she turned to me with sad eyes. “I would be lying if I told you that your presence here has no effect on the cause. Everything has changed, things advanced and we are now more vulnerable since the academy attack. There are plans we need to accomplish and without you or anyone else it would be impossible. So, I can only offer you freedom in moderation.”

“What if I want no part in the rebels’ cause?” I asked, as sincere as I could without showing signs of disappointment. “I came here looking for a sliver of home, not the start of another war.”

“We all want a little sliver of home that’s we are here. Why destroy the world when we could save it and you could be a part of that.”

“How?” The world slipped out before I was ready for the answer.

“By fighting back,” Karen said. “Come, there’s more for you to see,” and she moved toward that small staircase. Once again, I found myself at a crossroad. To follow Karen would lead me into the political world of War Z, however to turn away and only stay long enough for Jasper to leave with me, would lead back struggles, a bare existence. Slowly, I turned toward the still opened door to the hallway and ran my fingers along the knob. I looked down at my beaten digits, damaged from dryness and scarred from my weapons, and they reminded me of the future if I left the cove. Fingers tightened and slowly pulled the door shut. With a deep breath, I faced the office, headed towards the steps and down into the windowless conference room, where the energy was high and big promises filled the air.

Unlike the earlier meeting, this assembly was an intimate one. Only two people sat at the long desk, while papers acted as tablecloth, no surface area uncovered. Dr. Marab sat with a coffee mug in hand and a pen in the other. He arched over a couple of papers, deep in conversation with another man. As I approached, Karen pulled up a chair at the head of the table, next to her, and gestured for me to sit. I did as I was told and then was introduced to the other man.  “Dr. Robert Klein, this is Celeste Freeman.”

Amber eyes, as brown as the mahogany table, looked up at me behind black rimmed designer glasses. Unruly salt and pepper hair grew in soft curls and framed a round face. My eyes took in his white wiry sideburns that led into an epic snow colored beard. This man was Santa Clause reincarnate.  “Hello, dear, I’ve heard you’ve come a long way in your travels.” His deep voice carried the edge of a man with history, stories about wars and secrets of our nation.”

I matched his smile with a small one, but my reaction was of suspicion. “I’m sorry but it seems that everyone knows so much about me, while I hardly know any of you? Or what you are doing?”

Karen’s fingers laced through mine, and her thumb slowly strummed my knuckles. She sent me a reassuring smile, before her eyes went to Dr. Klein. I followed her gaze. “No apologies. It’s not every day that visitors grace these cement floors and concrete walls. I guess we’ve all grown a little excited, anxious for the affects you and your beauty shall create.” I smiled at the compliment; however there was more behind his words.

“Celeste, Dr. Klein is my father-in-law. It was through his connections that allowed my husband and me to convert this old land into something more important.”

“I am just the guy who ordered all the man power,” he flagged off the prestigious image Karen had conjured and blew his nose.

“Yes and without you, we would only be in a small box, hoping that viruses skipped over us.”

“Has it? “ I asked, curiously.

“Only the ones we unintentionally wanted,” Dr. Marab jumped in before he offered me tea. Politely, I declined and asked for an explanation of the intended illnesses. “The cove has been turned into a lab for a cure, much like the academy. Along with a group of scientist, as well as Robert and Karen, we strive to find a cure,” he stated confidently. Chills spread through my body as he gestured toward the piles of paper, most diagrams of DNA configurations with marks scribbled throughout. Some had pictures stapled to show bacteria, however the worse was pictures of the undead. They seemed to capture some and photographed once the creature was put down and laid flat on a metal bed.

“Have you found one?” I asked while my eyes looked down at the face of a young boy. His innocence returned in death, however blue veins and gray skin hinted to the monster he became.

Karen was the one to speak up. “We’ve seen signs of promise with over latest version, however to understand a cure, you must understand the disease. This virus that is bringing the dead back to life is the most complicated thing we’ve ever seen, Celeste. It starts out as a single molecule, however once it finds a host, it multiplies drastically. It spreads through the bloodstream and attaches to brain, and then the body is under its control in less than ten seconds…”

“Which explains why you should aim for the head,” I added, looked at the group for confirmation.

“For the brain,” Dr. Klein specified. “However, the extraordinary part is not what we know will happen, but what happens when the Z virus takes over the body for long term.”

“They mutate, like the ones at the academy.”

“Correct.” Dr. Marab affirmed my comment. He picked up a picture that was taken the night I met Norris. It was a slightly blurred image of the cluster in the hallway, taken by a security camera. “Before the mass outbreak, many military academies all over the world were transformed into laboratories. The schools were informed that they were a part of an international campaign to find a cure for the world’s top diseases; AIDS, Cancer, foodborne illnesses. Science professors from top ten universities in the country were in on the campaign as well. The U.N. offered rewards for countries that discovered major factors, as well as assigned weekly checkups on the improvements of the research.”

“But, why? And where did they get funding?” My interruption was sudden, and caused a huge distaste amongst the group; however, Dr. Marab only paused and rethought his answer.

“In every country’s budget, there’s room for experimentation if you can prove that it would better your country and the world. There is also funding for it in the military budgets. The US had a fair raise in their budget right before the outbreak.”

“Are you suggesting that we came up with the virus?”

“Intentionally, I don’t think anyone came up with such a disease. However, there’s money to be made from chemical weapons and when it’s not in safe hands, it can destroy the world.”

“So who do you think came up with it.

“We don’t know, but I was in Israel when the first Z virus came upon my desk. I was also, the one to notify the UN of the deadly virus, yet it was too late.”

The room grew silent at Dr. Marab’s confession, thoughts plagued the three’s minds once again, as image littered the table. There black and white images sucked me in, and my eyes danced across each one, tried to comprehend exactly what they showed.  I came to a map of Europe and the Middle East in front of Dr. Klein. Red ink trailed linked countries with numbers at highlight margins.

“What does that map show?”

“It shows the progress of the virus.” Dr. Marab answered and picked up the remote. Soon the picture displayed on the big screen and we all watched as he used a pointer. “In Israel, the package came with a letter written from a colleague in this Eastern European region. Immediately, I was alarmed by his rushed Hebrew. He scribbled a warning of sorts about chemical warfare being used on civilians, and diseases being erected. Towns were eradicated in days, and refugees were heading my way. At first, I was astonished by his assumptions, especially when the countries he named barely had enough money to feed their own government. It made no sense that they would be able to afford the means to create any virus. But as I continued to read, I realized that the money they lacked in creating was enough in buying. He continued on about wealthy countries providing chemical weapons to their allies for wars. Of course, I was skeptical, so I looked into the records from border patrol amongst others. I found that our immigration rate had doubled and most from the regions he wrote about. When I tried to reach him back on the cellie, he never answered.”

“So a country had provided the virus as a weapon?” I was on the edge on my feet as more map appeared and the red dots littered the European and Asian continents.

“The US has done this before, as well as the UK, Spain, and most Islamic countries. Guns and military equipment are the usual gifts given to insure that a country still has ties to resources, but what happens when they are asked for more?” Karen threw out toward the table.

“But isn’t chemical weapons against some UN law?” I questioned, and each person hissed. Karen’s arm folded and her lips clamped shut. Dr. Klein only shucks his head in disgust.

“Yes, according to the Chemical Weapons Convention. The OPCW has reported that nearly 78% of materials were damaged in over 190 countries, but there is always a way around the random searches and inspections. Sometimes the reward from sacrificing two to ten million people during a war is underweighted to security of wealth and status,” Dr. Klein added and produced a list of the population. “In two years, almost half of our population is gone, or unaccounted for, and those that we can mark, are being taken down quickly, or hiding under falsity.”

 “Why the government would shut the doors on its own people, allow the virus to take over control of our nation? It’s swallowing everything out there. I’ve seen it with my own eyes.”

“Because, it has not reached the ‘important’ ones.” Karen flipped through a few papers and produced a small map of our nation. Across the mountains, along major rivers, beaches, and deserts, stars marked the location. She used his finger to guide me through the place. “By time the war began, there were several encampments already built for catastrophes. They were usually in the mountains up north, in the deserts over west, or beaches out east. The government procured acres of land and developed what looks like miniature states.  Most of the military was pulled back and sent to guard these areas,"

“Politian’s left their offices by the tens and flocked to designated bases.  Most of DC was vacant by time the rebellion landed at its doorsteps, and they are all snuggled tight behind 40 foot walls and mountain sides to wait out the war.” Dr. Klein angrily, his emotion became infectious. My hands balled in my lap as I was reminded of images of war Karen showed me.

“And what will happen then?” I asked as horrific scenarios battled for the greatest nightmare award. Chills spread through my back as I recalled the Z’s from the academy. If all the creatures turned into those mutants there would be no ‘fight or flight’ only death with seconds.  

“They’ll start over,” Karen added, after a few tensed seconds. Everyone looked at the images, and while I learnt of this only minutes ago, fear, anguish, and rage graced the faces of the other three.

“This is ridiculous.” I snapped when their truth overwhelmed and appalled me. I couldn’t wrap my hands around the information and yet the facts were placed on a dinner mat. Why would the government let millions of people die, if a cure was possible? I asked the question.

“When the cure is discovered, it is impossible to save to everyone. The resources will be too low and the politics too high. In order to guarantee safety for those like you and I, we must attack, while our biggest enemy is still fightable.” Dr. Klein voiced, only to be interrupted by the slam from the hallway door.

Suspicious, Dr. Marab rose first, while Karen and Dr. Klein quickly piled the papers up. Their fingers moved so fast and cleared the table, and within seconds everything was hidden in a briefcase. I watched as Dr. Klein took the leather case and sat on it; all the contents were immediately hidden.

“There’s no one,” Dr. Marab called from the staircase, and the two shared a gaze. The older man stood at this point, briefcase in hand and said that their time was up. He turned to me with a sweet smile.

“I’m not one for sugar coating things, especially at my age, so I will give you fair warning. If you decide to fight back, than the risks will be maximum and your role will be an undecided one. However, if you decide to turn away, do it now, before you know too much. Sometimes the truth can do more damaged than what we can recover.”

With that, I watched Dr. Klein exit through a hidden set of doors to the left of the room. Karen looked at Dr. Marab, who informed her that he would stay in case someone comes back, and then she looked at me. “Let’s go somewhere more secure.”

Karen led me through the secret door and down another flight of steps. We emerged into an unused space with a monitor beside the door, a camera hung from the corner. Quickly, she pulled the door open and we exited into a hallway. This one was different than the hall I walked through before. It had no windows, dim light carried from florescent ceiling fixtures. As I observed the space, everything seemed sterile and clean. “What level are we on? “I asked as we began to walk.

“This is where our laboratories are, as well as the infirmary and patients rooms.”

“Why did we leave the conference room?” A multitude of questions came as we passed by several windows that showed into different rooms.

“Because even though everyone says they are here for the same reasons, you can never be too careful about whom you trust. We have a lot of involvement from former D.C. residents. Do you understand?”

Ah, and I did. Even at the cove, they kept the number one rule of survival; never trust anyone. However, it seemed weird that they were so forthcoming to me with information. I didn’t ask why and decided to just observe. I was confident that the cove would show its true colors and I would already have one foot out the door.

“Karen, if you don’t mind, I would love to hear more…about the virus, your cure…” I looked around, made sure that we were completely alone. “…and about phase 1.”

 

There was a moment’s pause at my last word, where Karen eyes widened in surprise. I kept her gaze to make sure she knew I was serious and before long she gave away a slight nod. A small smile formed across her lips. “I’m glad you are curious, Celeste. It’s that drive that will lead you to all the answers.” 

End Notes:

Will Celeste join the Cove, or will she chose to face the road again? Also, what happened to Jasper, and when the hell will Michael catch a break?

Thanks again for reading, looking forward to reading your commments!!!

The Beginning by EJBradley
Author's Notes:

HAPPY HOLIDAYS & HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Thanks everyone for all the love and support with this story, and as a gift I have another update. Enjoy,

It’s been days since we first arrived; exactly three weeks…504 hours…30,240 minutes…or 1,814,400 seconds; approximately 2,100,000 heart beats since I’ve walked through the cove’s front door. What started as something temporary became a new life. I visited unconscious Jasper right after Karen exposé on the government. His limp body laid still across a white hospital bed, five bags of liquids hooked up to veins and a large bandage across his abdomen. I was told that he was in a coma, self-induced, and when his body was ready to wake up, he simply would, just like the click of a light switch. So I stayed, and Michael hated every bit of my decision.

It was a cold night when I scurried through empty hallways and out a side door to find him. He was a late night hunting trip, one that violated curfew, but his attentions were of no significance. I found him crotched down along the rocks at the stream, waiting for deer, yet once I delivered the news, and the SEAL was no longer calm and focused.

For an hour, we argued.  Michael explained, pleaded, begged that we leave. His reasoning’s were logical, they were the same distrust I had, but he gave up on Jasper. “He’s good as dead, I saw him. We need to get out while we can and not get trapped in,” he kept saying over and over again. His simple answer drove me mad. Of course, I couldn’t just abandon Jasper, the man kept me alive for two years. In return, I ordered the Seal to leave without me, and yet he couldn’t fathom the idea.

Sage was our decision maker. Out of nowhere, the man imitated our Sparrow call and quickly we received the warning. I retreated back. Michael never followed. I managed to slip inside the way I came as footsteps drew within five feet. Sage stood in the hallway, silent, but in his eyes he knew the truth. He observed my rage, milked it in, harbored it, and yet stayed silent for my sake. He followed behind me until we reach my dorm floor, and even then he waited until I stood before my door. “Are you safe?” he asked, sharply, protectively. Dimness from the nighttime light setting hid his face expression, but enough was relayed through his voice.  I nodded and turned away before his sense my uncertainty. With a soft goodbye, he stepped back and walked down the hall. I never looked to see him back track our footsteps.

For days, my mind was busy over the argument, or the cove’s ambitions, and my own need. Even when I sat with Jasper at his bedside, Michael’s plan haunted me, while security kept me rooted. Thoughts of slipping away into the night with nothing but our survival gear seemed crazy, and yet my body itched for my bow and arrow. I tried to kept everything hidden but Karen saw my dilemma. By the end of the week, she took my reluctant form from Jasper’s side, and introduced me to something productive. Now, I worked in the children’s infirmary.

CLICK…

The sound of my door lock being picked jolted me from my midnight thoughts and instantly, I sprung in motion. I shoved my flashlight in between my lips, and pulled Jasper’s hand gun from underneath my pillow. The military grade light was touch-sensitive at the tip and I allowed my tongue to do the honors.

Suddenly, the room was illuminated by the single LED beam, no corner left untouched when the door swung open and a large body popped inside. “Damn…”came from a voice I knew too well, a voice that carried a touch of Israel accent mixed with the grime and volume that comes from living in NYC. As I focused on the figure spotlighted, and he coward away from, I gasped. “Celeste, can you turn off the damn light. It’s just me…Jasper.”

“What the hell are you doing here?” Before reason could register, I leaped up, dropped the gun flashlight on the bed’s mattress, and crossed the space in seconds. Instantly, I was wrapped in a firm squeeze with his natural scent overloaded my senses. Kisses littered my hairline as I snuggled closer. My head barely reached his shoulders; I forgotten his height while he lay horizontal.

Tears seeped through closed lids, and memories of that night and the weeks after festered with my brain. Questions popped out of my mouth faster than he could answer, however Jasper laughed, and tightened his grip. “It’s alright. I’m here…”

“I know you are here. I’ve been by your side for the last three weeks. How are you out of bed?”

“I feel like a god, Celeste, albeit a little sore, but I’m walking on clouds.” He said confidently. He turned the latch to lock my bedroom door and walked me toward the full size bed. Jasper looked at me with wide eyes, a jovial smile played across his lips.

“You are really here,” I said out loud, mesmerized in that gaze I could paint from memory. In the dark, they appeared black as the shadows, however I knew in the light, they were the color of raw honey, and kissed with the color golden straw and aquamarine jewels. Those eyes were made to attract, had every woman under his spell in minutes, and I was no exception.

“I am here…” he confirmed and slowly his head moved down, his lips moved gently across mine. Out of habit, my head tilted back to meet his, yet my lips stayed shut. I pulled away from him with a small chuckle, one of embarrassments and secrets.  

“How are you still alive?” I asked as I crossed the room, put space between us. I turned back to him, and peered at his dark gray shirt and darker pants; I knew these were the Cove’s offerings. “The last time I saw you, Z dogs were sniffing at your toes.”

“You always said I smelled funny…” he joked, but it was a nervous one. He knew the answer and yet he played coy.

“Norris said it was because of your infection,” I snapped out and covered myself with a sweater. His eyes took in my figure, with longing, and yet I was as dry as the desert.

“Where’s Michael?” Jasper questioned, inspected the room with his eyes, as if the SEAL hid behind something.

“He’s alive.” I answered, but that wasn’t what he wanted to know. He repeated his question and I pointed to the right wall. “He’s next door.”

“Really, not in here with you? Either you are scared of him, or he no longer matters,” and instantly there was a hint of anger in his voice. I believed it was jealousy, but at the same time, everything about him seemed different to me.

“Neither…however, I’m surprised you are up and walking so soon.”

“My body recovered quickly from whatever they gave me,” and suddenly the guy was looking around the room. “Can we turn on a damn light? We’re not in a cellar anymore,” he snapped. Taking off guard, I flinched. “Sorry…it’s just…I can’t see you and that’s all I wanted to do since I woke up. Please, let me see you…”At his plea, I found myself moving toward the light switch and with ease, and the room glowed as bright as natural light. I looked back him; my eyes went straight for his abdomen as if the wound was on display.

“I want to see it.” I said.

“The scar, there’s nothing to look at.”

“Lie down and let me judge.”

There was a pause where I thought it would refuse, and then he brought his fingers to the collar of his shirt and pulled it over his head. I gasped at the picture of perfection in front of me. What was a healthy, average man in post war, now stood as a gladiator, ripped and ready for battle. My eyes followed his toned pecs and moved south. I followed his dusty trail and stopped midway. What should have been a four or five inch laceration, which was closed with staples or thread, was only a red mark. It was nothing but a slap imprint across his belly. “It’s gone.” I looked up at him but he just wore a Cheshire cat smile.

“What did they give you?” I asked forcefully; silence wasn’t an option.

“Sometimes to cure something, you have to infect yourself a little bit.” Automatically at his words, I reached for the gun and pointed. I stared at him as my mind wrapped around his words and curses spewed from my mouth.

“You have the Z virus?” I asked suddently, but he just looked back.  “Answer me now!” I yelled and clicked off the safety.

“In my head, I always thought I would be the one to pull the trigger first on each other,” he said calmly, but cautious.  As I continued to look, Jasper softened to point of despair and that face which haunted my dreams were back. We were still struggling to survive, however in a very different way. “There was nothing I could do. I was dead, you know…died on the drive and they needed to revive me. So they did, the only way we all know exist. Of course it wasn’t nearly as poignant as what’s out there taking over the world, but it does the same purpose…”

“Oh my god…” I whispered and then vomit came up. In seconds, I ran to the bathroom and puked up the acid from my stomach; my gun still aimed at Jasper. “Don’t you fucking move,” I ordered when he made to move. I wiped my face and went to the threshold of my bathroom door, ready to close it if he advanced. “You are infected, Jasper, with that shit and Karen gave it to you.”

“We are all infected.”

Instantly, I froze. “What do you mean?”

“Everyone in this place is infected with something, that’s their way of coping with the Z virus. Become infected, you’ll become invisible. The bacterial infection I got from the wound scared the dogs off, that’s why I wasn’t eaten. As soon as security saw this, they scoop me up. They are trying to find a cure, and any infection may be the answer.”

Overwhelmed, I tried to fathom what he said, but I kept seeing him dying on the floor. My trigger finger was ready and gun stayed set on him. We are all infected. Did I have the Z virus in me, was I next to become those sick fuckers.

“Celeste…I shouldn’t have told you.” He said and moved a foot forward.

“Stay the fuck where you are!” I yelled again, but he knew I was no longer strong. My voiced cracked, his expression died away and all movement stopped. We stood at a face-off, no one dared to do anything. In a slow, low voice, he broke the silence.

“If you want, I will leave. You can barricade your door and I will go back to the infirmary, but you are not the only one scared. My last memory of your face was tears, the last emotion I remember is fear, and the last thing I heard was your screams. They haunt me, too; haunt me like that hospital, like that dad and son, like that newborn child. Don’t let me go through that alone…please.” He morphed into a scared boy and cried. Wetness on my cheek was the only evidence that I cried too. His pain was my pain, his nightmares were my nightmares, and we were still one in the same.

“I want you over in the corner by the door, take what you want from the bed, but that’s it. The lamp stays on and no movement.” The intensive of the past seconds soon melted away from his face and Jasper began to nod. His eyes quickly looked at the bed, but came back up to me when he noticed the floor.

“You still sleep on the floor?” He spoke, shock by my arrangements.  He took the quilt, blanket, and a pillow. All were now shoved against the wall.

“My only comfort…” I answered and walked over to my makeshift bed.

Jasper set himself up in the corner by the door as I picked up my comforter. I carried the big fluff into the bathroom and dropped it in the tub. I went back for the blanket and pillow, lastly, my weapons. Quickly everything was piled up in the bathroom, while Jasper watched. “Protocol, remember?” I asked at the rule we made our first week of travel. When faced with a person we didn’t know, or no longer was trust, separation a must. This time, there would be a locked door between us. “I don’t know what they’ve done to you, and you haven’t been up longer than a couple of hours, so this is a must,” I added and all Jasper did was nod. “I wish I didn’t have to do this.”

“But this is a must. Remember it’s my rule,” he voiced with a slight smile, tried to make light of the situation.

 I backed away from the door and made to close it, only to stop about a foot away from the jamb. “I really hope that you are okay and back for good,” I said, my eyes at the floor since a fresh set of tears sprung. “Goodnight.”

“Thank you, Celeste.”

Now close the door and was locked.

***

Exactly at 8:30 am, an owl’s call signaled my wake up time. I sat up and reached around for the light, instead I hit a knob. “Ahh!” I screamed as cold water rained down from the shower. Immediately, I rummaged in the dark and forced the waterfall to stop as soon as the bathroom door bust open. Bright light blasted from the bedroom and illuminated a tall silhouette.

“What’s wrong?”

I recognized Jasper’s voice and suddenly, yesterday night came back. “Nothing, I’m fine,” I stuttered. The bathroom bathed in light, showcased Jasper’s shirt-less body. In three weeks, he was the same man, same expression, mostly the same body, and yet I couldn’t fathom what made him a stranger to me. Or maybe it was I who changed.

“What’s does that buzzer mean?” He asked, as the alarm went off again.

“It’s the cove’s wake up call. According to your job, everyone is issued a designated time.”

“Really? That’s fancy, and you get to choose the sound?”

“Yeah, that feature is more of a transitional tool for those that have been on the outside for a while.”

“Like us?”

“Yes.” I climbed out of the tub and went to the sink. Without another word, I pulled out my toothbrush and began my morning routine, all the while, Jasper stood silently and watched.

By time the bell rung for Breakfast, we had made our way from my room up to the third floor. Breakfast was held in a large room, designed much like a high school cafeteria. Long fold up tables lined the center of the room; nine rows, three columns. I heard that the cove could house everyone for a meal at one time and still have a third of the seats empty.

On the same floor as the infirmary, the wings were blocked off by a door at the end of the hallway. Once, I followed a doctor and tried to get through, however when a green light shined for him, quickly turned into a red light for me; the door locked again. The only way to get from one side of the hall to the other was through the stairwell; go up one flight and down again.

As always, we were greeted by stark white walls and rock-shaped windows that lined the opposite side of the room, however instead of breakfast with the small amount of medical staff, most of the tables were already occupied; guys in their militants gear looked all ready for war. The small counter for the buffet was littered with a surplus of food, all high in calories and starch.

Instantly, I searched as I did every morning for the past three weeks. Where was he…? Bingo. My eyes landed on a table full of women. They, too, were ready for combat and I noticed Michael sat across a Hispanic girl I seen once or twice. She was one of the ones that came from the Island, the new capitol. I forgot her name, but she had visits with Karen a lot. 

As I stared at the pair, jealousy spread throughout and anger into my core. While Michael’s schedule seemed the complete opposite of mine, we always had breakfast at the same time, and since the argument he’s replaced me with this girl. I dared to glance away, but my eyes stayed put long enough to get caught. Michael’s stare lifted from his plate and looked toward the door. Shortly after, they found me.

I smiled, raised a hand to greet him, but his eyes moved immediately to my left. Quickly, I followed to see Jasper by my side, and he was not alone. Norris and Karen, along with a couple of others approached. “Good morning, Jasper. I heard you were up and about,” she said and then greeted me. Because I opted to work in the nursery and away from the rebels, there wasn’t much to discuss between Karen and I. Besides our daily luncheons, the eleven kept her busy with meetings, and new developments. “How do you feel?” she addressed me.

“I am well, given that I can eat breakfast before my shift. I am starving.”

“Well, you shouldn’t work through your dinner breaks. You need to be nourished to stay healthy,” she scolded me like a child, but I smiled. I would be lying if I said her motherly attitude didn’t send warmth throughout. Sweetly, she rubbed my arm and looked over at the growing buffet line. “Why don’t you go and grab a plate before the gang goes for seconds and then meet us at the table.”

I glanced over at her table, filled to capacity with the other ten members of the cove’s government, each person stared at Jasper. I didn’t dare to question Karen in front of Norris, but I was never invited over to her table before today, that was what lunch was for. Something pulled my attention back to Michael’s table and he, too, was at full alert. Those blue eyes shone with suspicion.

“Celeste.” Karen’s voice was more of a dismissal and I sent one last look at Jasper. At full height, the man stood with intimidation and challenged Norris the same Michael did. He didn’t trust him either.

“Okay,” I answered and walked away. Michael sent me a questioning glance, but I was the one to look away. Like a hawk, those eyes followed me. A fingertip on my skin, his stare slowly crawled over every inch and brought back memories of the woods. I thought of his soft lips and commanding hands. At night I became desperate for his touch, and yet shied away from his eyes during the day. I am glad to have Jasper back, but it’s not him that I truly missed.

As I fantasized about Michael, the soldiers before me made quick work of the line; fast and easy, so the next person didn’t have to wait. One by one they picked up spoons of oatmeal, eggs, and sausages until they reached the end and someone was there to follow. A boisterous cough pulled me from my thoughts and I snapped back to reality. Now with one person ahead of me, I reached for a plate and tray, only to bump into the guy. “Easy there tiger,” came a voice from behind. An apology on my lips, I looked back to meet Sage’s eyes. He wore a soft, uncertain smile, and it only grew the more I scowled at him.

“Hello, Sage,” I addressed him platonically, my distrust evident.

“Hello, Celeste. I’m glad to see you are well enough to join us for breakfast.”

“Well it’s never a choice when I eat, or is there?” I tried to sound nonchalant; however bitterness became the venom behind my words.

He smirked, yet an immediately response was absent. After he received his own plate ware, he leaned into me. “You make it seem like you are in a jail. You can leave anytime you’d like to.”

The food was separated from us by a divider with a kitchen aid assisting us; however I snapped away from the food and met those intense eyes, head on. “Oh, really. I can walk right out the door, and Norris wouldn’t send orders to follow me.”

Now his words were quick, precise. Our voices were only loud enough to reach our own ears and nothing further. “He would…Karen too, but you are good at hiding…hunting…surviving…I’m sure you would out smart us, rebels,” he ended sardonically and within seconds a bright smile crossed his lips and he addressed the server. I watched as a young girl, no older than sixteen, piled a generous amount of eggs on his plate and quickly followed with sausage. She smiled nervously under those eyes and his cheeky smile, but she didn’t know the evil he held within. Only another fighter, another survivor, someone that killed to live, would see the death that lived in his being.

Sage cut the girl off at the oatmeal and then his eyes returned to mine. That smiled only widened, but his stare became colder. “What exactly do you want?” I questioned.

“What every guy in this room wants, to be given a chance,” he replied honestly.

“With me, then you’re barking up the wrong tree.” I hit him with a direct comment and turned, only for a hand to snatch me back. Instantly, we were a mere foot a part, with his grip still on my upper arm.

“You should probably get your head out of your ass, because I was referring to life.” His eyes and grip stayed on me for seconds more. Cowardly, I looked away and realized he too was in fighting gear; the only thing missing was his gun. I glanced around the room, and those men were geared up, too; the intensity in their stare could cut. They looked like they were being sent to the front line, and Sage’s words struck another chord. There was another mission and this one was huge.

“Sage!” At the sound, he dropped his hands and took a step away from me. Norris came into our line of view and immediately the boy turned away.

“Good Morning sir,” Sage greeted the Sgt., but Norris’ eyes never left my body. Hesitantly, I threw him a quick smile, one to hide the slight fear I got whenever the man’s dark eyes were on me. I was saved by his looks in the infirmary for the past few weeks, but once in a while we would cross each other and I would run.

“Great, Son. Miss…?” Norris addressed me and I nodded. I let out a small ‘well’ and then turned toward Sage. “Great. Sage, once you eat your food, report to Officer Rommel about departure times…”

“I should be ready within…” Sage started but Norris cut him off.

“You will not be going on this trip. Your orders are to report the departure and arrival times of the troops to Mississippi, and then relay them to Karen. You need to stay out of danger. Do you understand, son?”

At first Sage seemed on the verge of a rebuttal, but by time Norris was done, his argument was swallowed. Norris no longer paid attention to me and stared intently at his assistant. Quickly, Sage looked toward Karen’s table and while I thought he spied on Karen, his next comment surprised me.

“He’s up earlier than we thought. Is phase two beginning?”

And as my eyes landed on smiling Jasper, something suddenly broke inside of me and I felt on the verge of vomiting. I breathed in deeply, but the smell of the food only caused the feeling to intensify. “Celeste…” I heard Sage called, but I had already run over to the closest trash bin. Instantly I dropped my tray in and bent over. Dry heaves were all I could muster, since I had not eaten in over sixteen hours.  

As the smells of the rooms suddenly overwhelmed me, I noticed dark, haggard hands at my side and the voice of Norris surprised me. “Karen, I think your timeline may have sped up.”

 

 

End Notes:

Phase II has now begun. Will Celeste be able to handle what's happened to Jasper, and what will soon happen to her? Will Michael still be insigficant if the cove finds out the link between him and the nations governement? and where does newcomer Sage fall in all of this?

Can't wait to hear your thoughts, next chapter soon!

Phase II by EJBradley
Author's Notes:

 I'm so sorry for the hiatus, but between the holidays and frigid weather, my inspiration was shot. Finally, after writing a couple of pages here and there, I gained the drive to write again, and is still thrilled by this story. So without saying more, I give you the next chapter, enjoy!

Immediately, the whole room spun and my feet were no longer beneath me. Minutes passed, yet I still stood over the trash bin. Shadows displayed the figures surrounding me, while quick voice asked questions. They spoke of Phase II, of symptoms, of an examination, and all the while I couldn’t stop from gagging. When I was able to breathe longer than ten seconds, someone lifted me into their arms. Dry gags took my face away from the man who held me, yet the dizziness and bright lights had me hiding in his shoulder. We started to move, my body swayed into his tight embrace.  More people chattered on, but closed eyes shielded me from their faces. Slowly, everything was forgotten and I tried to concentrate on my cramped stomach.

“I want her in the back room, right next to my office.” Karen left little room for discussion as she threw out strict orders. In haste, we stormed out of the breakfast room and toward the locked hallway door.

“Karen, was it successful?” a voice, now familiar and kind, called out from behind us. It belonged to a former Politian who flew out from the Island. His story was pretty much the same as the other; find out the truth about the virus and the government involvement, left once he heard the tale of the rebel’s cove. However, one never knows the truth.

“I don’t know, Burgess. We have to test her first.” Karen’s voice held both urgency and annoyance. Our speed picked up and the cement ceilings became a blur.

“Test who?” I called out and turned toward Karen’s voice. We were upon the locked door that separates the hospital from the rest of floor. Its keypad quickly turned green and it opened. Karen’s eyes met mine and sadness morphed her features. She didn’t answer but rubbed my arm instead. “You know what’s wrong with me…you did this?” Betrayal ate at my gut and hysteria took over. “I can’t be like him; I can’t turn into one of them!” I screamed, Jasper’s morphed body at the front of my mind.  

I clawed at my carrier’s arms but his hold tightened. I looked up to see Norris staring ahead. No matter how I moved, or what I hit, he stayed deadpanned and kept moving quickly. Like instructed, he carried me to a room right next to Karen’s office. I always thought it was a closet, but once inside I realized it was far more impressive.

My eyes, glued with the large animal in the room; it was a state of the art radiological device.  Its large head loomed over a flat glass bed in the center of the room, while its neck curved into its massive frame. A hum echoed around us as the beast came alive followed by a bright light. Frantically, I fought harder as Norris walked closer to the bed. “You have two choices; calm down or I will put you to sleep,” Norris commanded and pure fear kept me frozen. “Good choice,” he said immediately as I sat quietly. Norris dropped me on the cold surface and more nurses spilled into the room. Cupboards opened, seals split, and rolling tables were brought over to me.

“Please…Norris, please don’t let them do this to me. I’m not sick, I don’t have anything!” I screamed as a nurse with scissors approached me. “NO!” I yelled and threw my leg out to kick her away. Instantly the stainless steel dropped to the floor and the woman jumped away. I took this moment to hop off the table, only to be yanked back.

Hands gripped my ponytail and swung me into their grip, while I clawed at the person’s arms. By strength, I knew it was Norris. Immediately, I kicked backwards and my foot connected with his shin. “Ahh…” he groaned, the snap sound recognizable. Norris dropped to his knees and gave me enough time to run, and run I did. I pushed the defenseless doctors and nurses out of my way, and barged out of the door.

 I worked in the hospital, so I knew my way through; all I needed was to get to the exit door. I picked up a surgical knife from an abandoned tray and covered as much ground as I could, but my stomach began to cramp again. This time it felt like I was being hit with a sledge hammer. I screamed and slumped toward a wall, as large footfalls signaled my chasers. I pushed through harsh breaths and continued on. If only I could find Jasper…if only Michael were here, I thought and then I heard my name.

“Celeste!” I looked in the direction of the sound as Michael began to run to me from the opposite end of the hallway. His large frame washed me with a sense of relief and endurance, yet my body had other plans.

“Ahh!” I screamed  as another cramp brought me to my knees. The excruciating pain had me clutching for strength, but my body just curled into itself. The sounds of fighting surrounded me and I looked out to see Michael going hand to hand with one of Norris’s guards.

Karen was here too. “I want her in the room now!” She bellowed angrily, as her low heels brought her closer to me.

I managed to crawl to my hands and knees, only to succumb to the pain. “Is she infected?” Someone closer screamed as beads of sweat poured from my head and convulsion took over my body. Was I sick…did I become an infected, I thought fell to the tiled floor.

“Michael…” the call was on my last breath as pain exploded. The fighting continued. I could make out his grunts and moans from being taking over, but everything was blurry. My heart raced, my temperature dropped, and the cramps grew stronger. Was I dying…was this it?

****

Inhale.

I choked up a large breath as my eyes adjusted to the little light in the room. I came to in a room much like my bedroom but the sterile smell reminded me of the hospital. Sounds of the woods seeped through the surround sound speakers; birds, rustling leaves in the winds, a stream somewhere in the distance. For seconds, I just listened, wondered when those woods became a better place than where I was now.

A small lamp lit up from the corner of the room and instantly my hand reached for a weapon. However, I looked down to see strips of brown leather strapped to my wrists and legs. I turned back to the corner as watched as the person moved. Her amber eyes watched me as I took in her face. “What the hell are you doing here?”

A sad smile came to Karen’s face as she straightened her legs and stood. Smoothly, she adjusted her lab coat and came toward my bed. “I had to be here when you woke up,” her voice was a mask of a sincere person.

I made to move only to be reminded of the restraints. “I would kill you if I wasn’t strapped in.” I spoke deadly, and her eyes glassed over.

“And I would not be surprise, probably deserve it, but I was doing this for the greater good. Celeste, I’m sorry,” she whispered and turned towards my bedside monitor. Frail, tired hands swiftly wiped away the tears, and silence filled the room.

“Did you give me the virus?” I interrogated when her tears stopped.

Karen stayed silent for a while but her attention came back to me.  “No,” she answered. “What you have may seem worse, but it’s a blessing to the cause.”

“What the hell does that mean? I vomit and you guys respond like I’m turning into some kind of creature. I’m strapped to a fucking bed, Karen. What did you do me?”

 “Phase II.” She looked quickly at the monitors and then took a step back. “At the beginning, we thought we found a cure. Several volunteers from the cove were injected with an altered Z virus. They showed great resistant when exposed to the infected and an improvement in their core strength, brain functionality, and fight ability. They became our best defense against the Zs. So we trained them, much like we do with all of our military and then we sent them to the academy. However within two weeks, I get a message saying they were all gone.”

“Dead?”

“Turned. The virus won over and turned them, however they weren’t like the other Zs. They morphed, became more adapted, deadlier biters. We…I created monsters, worse than what was unleashed on the world.”

“Have you killed them?” I asked instantly, my pulse raced with the thought of another threat.

“You should know the answer to that. You’ve seen them.” She said and looked at me with certainty. Before I knew it, a flashback to the academy tunnel brought back images of the things that clustered at the end.

“Are you fucking crazy?” I let out as fear took over. “Those things will rip apart this world. We can barely survive the Zs but those things…what if it spreads?”

“They were contained in the tunnel for months; Norris said he had it all under control, until you let them out. Orders were made immediately, to apprehend you and the others before I knew who you were. No one has ever seen them full developed; we needed to know what we created.”

“Well by now we’re not the only ones who have seen them. They’re loose.” My body burned with rage as I looked at Karen. She seemed so small, and yet she created such a huge mess. “It doesn’t matter who created the virus anymore, when you made a deadlier weapon.”

“Which is why I needed to find a cure now, and I did.” Her voice rose with optimism and I blanched. “We tried for years, tested everything we could find. We took in more people than we could support just to hear their knowledge, to look for the link between predator and prey. We needed to understand how to save people without them becoming monsters like the fighters, but every one of them died, their bodies were too weak to bond with the virus, but I knew there was a way. I analyzed over and over for a years, before I found…”

“Before you found me…” I interrupted, but her eyes glassed over as she looked beyond me, memories plagued her mind.

“No, before I found Nikolai, Sage’s brother.” Karen rubbed at a necklace around her neck before continuing.  “The brothers were students of Norris at West Point Military Academy. Their family was poor and immigrants from Russia. Their devotion to school and the government raised red flags in most eyes, and yet their test scores gained them a few adorers. Once the virus spread, Norris ordered the boys to assist him during the war and when we found them a year ago, they were ready to join the cause. We exposed Nikolai first and his change was immaculate.”

Her attention came back to me, as she licked her lips, and with urgency, continued on. “When a healthy person gets the virus we created, your body attacks it, breaks it apart and takes the benefits. However the poison is locked up, covered in white blood cells that are ready to attack once the danger is exposed. It was the only success in my trials before him, but not enough for a full recovery, not even for us to believe. And then we tested Nikolai. His body did something completely different. At best, he would be alive but just a vegetable; at worse, he would be just like the ones at the academy. However, his body bonded with the virus, right down to his DNA, and he didn’t turn.”

“That’s impossible,” I gasped. I have seen hundreds of ways people got infected, and yet each time there turned.

“I know. I thought that as well, and then I was afraid he would turn when we least expected, so we kept him isolated in the cove, in a room, much like this one. We observed him twenty four hours, seven days a week and he lived without turning for months...”

I watched her in astonishments. If he survived, if they had a cure, why wasn’t it produced? “Why didn’t you contact anyone? Why are you still in hiding, preacher about the failures of our government?” She turned away from me again and I realized that something went wrong. She didn’t have the cure. “What happened to Nikolai?”

“Two months ago, he went crazy. His body couldn’t handle the pressure. Insomnia started, his hunger became insatiable, and strength was uncontrollable. It happened so fast, so quickly came the downfall. Within days, he became bedridden, weak and sweaty. Next were the heart attacks…”

“He turned?”

“In a way, yes, but it wasn’t what you expected. His body was the enemy in this experiment. It worked so hard to fight, protect him from the benign part of the virus that he became ill, eventually died after heart attack. We were all crushed, years of research gone within seconds, and I was close to being done. You arrived and all I wanted to know was what happened with the academy. I was so blindsided that I didn’t see what was right in front of me. I see the link. All this time, we thought that we could just inject ourselves with the deadliest virus and puff there was a cure. However it was never just about making a cure, but getting our bodies to adapt to any virus. We needed a host that wouldn’t see our infection as a bad thing. We need it to recognize the virus as a part of the body and allow it? We’ve conquered with making the poison benign, now we needed to conquer our immune system.”

“Where do I fit in?”

“The solution to our problems relay on hereditary genetics. The easiest way for a body to be fooled into ignoring the virus is to be born with it. And since no one has ever been born with this disease…”

“You needed a pregnant woman…” I said understanding her words, and sat up higher. It began to make sense, and as my mind slowly comprehended her message, Karen became impatient and urged me on.

“We needed the cure, from the perfect set of parents.” Those deep set eyes poured her true conviction.

And instantly, my mind went blank. My breaths became labored, shorter and quick. “No…you didn’t, no…” I whispered and stared down at my abdomen. “No…”

“You are perfect, Celeste, perfect health, perfect age. You’ve lived on the outside for three years, adapted with finesse to the world. You faced the dangers and prevailed, naturally your body will pass down these qualities; it’s the value of evolution so humans can survive. You are everything I’ve waited for, I couldn’t…”

“You couldn’t what?” I exploded as the reality of her words sunk in. I couldn’t fathom anything, I could barely breath.

“I couldn’t just let you go. I never prepared for you to say no to the cause, to helping the world. You will save all of us. The blood that will run through this baby will save us all.”

“You are fucking crazy!”

She shook away my outbursts, and took a deep as if I was the crazy one. Disgusted with her, I pulled angrily at the restraints, only for her hands to land on mine. “I know you’re upset but we all have a purpose, we all have a job in this world.”

“Get your hands off me!” I yelled in her face, but Karen seemed numb to my emotion. Nothing would change her psychotic views, but the damage was done anyway. “You are fucking crazy…would you have done this to your daughter?”

My words resonated through the room and snapped us both back to the bitter reality of death. Hurt unsheathed itself and her glassy eyes showed the battle. I watched as the softness which tugged at my sympathy, now hardened within seconds. “She would’ve been proud,” she spat out instantly, and before I predicted movement a sharp sound echoed through the room, and a sting ignited against my cheek. The impact sent my head toward the pillow behind me, momentarily paralyzing me. By time the shock released me, Karen’s hands were at her mouth, muffled sobs barely heard. Clogged feet slowly took her away, closer to the door as shook with anger. “I’m sorry, Celeste…I just want you to see the good. You need to see the good…”she repeated but I was livid, drunk off rage.

“I will burn down this fucking nut house, and kill you and myself before I bring a monster into the world!” I screamed at the top of my lungs, even as the IVs filled quickly with a different liquid. Sleep was imminent, but I wouldn’t take my eyes off her. “Mark my words,” were the last I could yell before a frigid, coldness seeped through my bloodstream and took me away.

 

 

 

End Notes:

...well, I hope I returned with a bang. next chapter up soon. 

Two Days by EJBradley
Author's Notes:

Hey all, see I told you I would update soon, and with a longer chapter. Hope you enjoy!!!

There’s a monster inside…

I woke with a start, a scream on the tip of my tongue, and yet my first instinct was not to shout, but to grab my gun. Fingers reached for the Beretta on the nightstand, but came up empty. Next was the headboard, but my knife was no longer taped to it. His heavy scent surrounded me, but without a weapon, I was defenseless. “What do you want with me, Norris?” I snapped.

At the desk chair, with a rifle across his lap and harsh eyes pinned on me, Norris looked every bit of the devil. “Your room was searched and every single thing was taken.”

“You have no right to take my things,” my response was immediate, but this place controlled my body now.

 “Funny thing, little girl, I have more rights than you do at the moment. You are now under protective custody from others and yourself. You carry something precious now, and I won’t let you out of my damn sight.” Those eyes were as black as the night sky, and while some would consider them striking, they created ice down my spine.

“Fuck this!” I snapped and knew I only had once chance to get this right. I jumped from the bed, fully clothed in the cove’s attire, and snatched the lamp from the bedside table. With as much precision and strength, I threw it at his head, and didn’t wait for it to crash. Quickly, I made my way to the door, but the old man had another plan. A rough hand crushed my arm and instantly, I was blocked. “Move out of my fucking way.”

“You have strict orders, and if you want to continue to disobey them, I will restrain you.” He yelled and threw me against the door. Do, you, understand?”

“Strict orders, my ass!” I spat out and tried to force my way free, however his grip tightened as he positioned me for another round with the door. “I will break your nose if you don’t let me go.” Something primal erupted within me, as words turned into a growl, and I burned with rage.  Suddenly, Norris’ eyes widened and his head tilted in surprise; a menacing laughter escaped his lips.  

“You will try,” he challenged, a smile of intrigue planted across his face.

I exploded. Fingers curled into fists, limbs flew everywhere, before I knew it, my knuckles made contact with his nose. Norris braced himself after the first, but quickly, his hands shot out and gripped my fists. With a harsh reality, he slammed me up against the wall; my head bounced off the concrete and sent me into a daze. Norris let me go, but I made a quick recovery.

“Fuck you!” I spat and brought my leg up. Shocked left me paralyzed; Norris grabbed my raised knees and used it to send me toward another wall. Immediately, arms shot up, braced for the impact, but it was too late. I went head first into the wall, and dropped to the floor like a dead Z. With the wind knocked out, all I did was lay there, stuck on the pain.

“Next time I won’t be so civilized,” he said, his voice muffled from his bleeding nose. With that he left, the lock signified the prison that I now faced; both body and soul.

Hours passed since Norris left me, but someone was back. I heard the whispers from the guards outside, before the lock jiggled and the door opened. From my position on the floor, I ignored the intruder, kept my head covered by my arms. I sat still with my knees raised, until I heard them drop something on the desk. Expecting Karen, or even Norris, I was wrong when I recognized black combat boots. In front of me, in full black military gear was the Hispanic woman Michael ate breakfast with every morning. With stern hazel eyes, she regarded me for only a second and observed the room. Filled with rage after Norris’ departure, I flipped over everything that wasn’t attached to floor and thrown it around the room. The woman let go a small snicker but amusement didn’t reach her eyes. She kicked one of my pillows out of her way and walked toward the door. In less than thirty seconds she was gone, but would reappear.

Day after day, for five days, the same woman returned; endured the weight of my daily meals, while judgmental eyes stared down at me. No matter where I was, she found me; nose in the sky, and left with only a snicker. Yesterday, she uttered her first words to me, “eat.” However, I pushed the plate right to back to her. She was dismissed with a mouth full of words.

Today, I stood in the bathroom when I heard the door open. She could provide me with news of Michael and Jasper. Bare feet led me from the en-suite, to see her by my desk. She looked at the abandoned food from breakfast, and snarled. “You are the one who eats with my friend?” I asked before she left hastily.

“Which one is your friend?”

“Please don’t play stupid, because I know you are intelligent. I am only asking to know how he is doing?”

Suddenly her back stiffened. “You want to know how he’s doing, after a month of not caring?”she responded,sarcastically.  

“I asked.” I snapped back, sizing up the woman. She was close to my height, maybe an inch taller and her physique was covered by her uniform and gear, but I knew she was in shape. She belonged to one of those rogue military crew, who gathered to the cove under Norris’ actions and Karen’s words. I heard the whispers against the all-girls sector, saw the discrimination they received by Norris and his boys. I, also, figured she’d grown fond emotions for Michael, so I had to tread lightly.

“You asked? As if I give a fuck about what you want?” she advanced and I took a step back. She was well equipped to bring me down in seconds, while I stood with nothing but hand-to-hand skills. I watched her carefully as she took a long look at me. “He cares about you and I can’t figure out why. You can’t think for yourself or defend yourself; you are nothing but a civil and yet you’re the reason he stays. A whole has gone by, and this is the first time you’ve worried about his well-being. Well, because of you he’s been missing. They took him from the hospital after beating him close to death.”

My gut dropped instantly, and pain coursed through my heart. “You have to know where they’re keeping him. Where is he?” I stepped forward, aimed to grab her incase she ran from the room.Yet, she stayed put.  

“That’s the fucking problem, I don’t know. We would’ve left. That day we had everything planned, but he insisted on saving your ass. Now look at us. You’re a waste to me, a puppet that they’ll use until they suck you dry. I hope you suffer,” she spat out before walking to the door. I made a move to stop here, but knew that nothing would come of it. Words were absent as visions of him struggling in the hospital came forth. She stopped for a second, her hand around the knob and turned toward me, indecisiveness written across her brow. “You have two days,” and she left.

“Two days, for what?” I yelled but she had already closed behind her. I ran to open it, but the knob wouldn’t turn. Yet again, I was alone. “Ahh!” I screamed and anger took over once more. The wrath drove me on a rampage, throwing, kicking, and breaking whatever I could muster. At one point, I caught my taunt reflection in the mirror and broke it with the toilet cover.

Control wasn’t an option, until my body laid drained in the bedroom corner, and cramps spread through my stomach. Famished, I dismissed the food they fed me this past week, but now hungered for the bread; it was missing. I resigned to the excruciatingly slow results of starvation and only prayed that Michael and Jasper were safe.  Two days… repeated in my head, over and over. Two days…

***

 “Celeste, we made a deal, you will be good, and I shall reward you. Why aren’t you eating?”

“Karen, stay the fuck away from me,” I whispered back, fatigue left little room for a fight. I raised my head a bit and saw that she was not alone. Norris was back, with two men this time.

“Back with reinforcements, it’s sad that you couldn’t handle me on your own. How’s the leg?” I baited him, took notice of his limp for the first time.

“Don’t, Celeste.” Karen interjected and sat down dinner on the desk. “I know we are in a tough position, but we have to look at the bright side.  You are alive, well, and have ample shelter and food. You can roam freely and have visitors, if you are on good behavior. However, most importantly, you will cure the world of this evil and save the human race. This baby…”

“Why do you keep calling it a baby? It’s a monster, which you created. You will fail Karen, just like you failed those that mutated, and Nicolai. All of you will fail, and all of us will die at the hands of our own evil.” My words hit Karen deep; I could see it in her eyes. She lived in this fantasy world, without laying a shoe outside these walls. She didn’t understand how people have changed, how we’ve become a vicious and corrupted society from the downfall. “Even if a cure was made, we would destroy ourselves anyway.”

I flipped over on my side, away from the group, and curled my body into itself. The cramps lingered, threatened to strengthen with movement, but the cold floor helped. I would’ve drifted away if it wasn’t for the sounds of whispers they made. Karen’s voice was set on something, while Norris argued with few words. I could care less what they wanted from me now. I was dead anyway.

“Celeste, I will allow you to see him, if you would like,” Karen finally voiced and intrigue pulled me from my despair.

“Who?” I asked, even though my gut answered. The Hispanic woman’s words replayed and I imagined the pain he endured for me. I needed to see him, no matter what state I was in.

“That boy you came here with. If you eat, I will take you to him.” The sound of silverware jingled along the tray as Karen approached. She sat everything down on the floor in front of me. It held soup, some crackers, and cooked vegetables. The smell was divine as my mouth watered on its own accord.

“I don’t trust you,” I answered and her eyebrow quirked.

“You know what you have to lose,” she answered and offered me the spoon. I took a calculated look at the food, before the hunger brought me up. My eyes on her, I ignored the offer, picked up the bowl of soup and bread instead. Quickly, I dumped the soft wheat into the tomato soup and brought it to my lips. Karen watched on, her expression masked, but her eyes never wavered. Instead, I concentrated more on curing the pain in my gut.

A moan of contentment escaped my lips before I could catch it, as the hot liquid coursed through my body and sat well in my stomach. My body reacted immediately and I dropped the bread, opting for drinking straight for the bowl. My eyes closed at the delightful taste, hunger had me gulping for more. Once done, I used the bread to wipe the bowl clean and pounced on the vegetables, using the fork. Milk was given next, but I swallowed that quickly.

My body rejoiced from the nourishment, and famine was gone. The cramps vanished, and my body was washed with energy. “Good Girl,” Karen said, as I sat back against the wall, drunk off the food. I opened my eyes to a smile on her face, as she pulled something from the closest. It was a coat and boots. I never noticed those in the wardrobe before now. “As I promised, we shall go to visit your friend now. I don’t want you to freeze.”

For the first time, I noticed everyone was wearing an extra layer of clothing; Karen, the only one with a coat. She helped me into the long, feathered Parka, and fur lined boots. “Where are we going?” I asked her, tried my best to keep the disgust away.

“Your friend wasn’t very nice to us, so we had to keep him contained. It’s in another building, we have to walk outside.”

I nodded and watched as she zippered my coat. She gave the okay to Norris who instructed his men to open the door. Within seconds everyone was in formation around me as I walked outside of the room. Norris led the way through the Cove’s maze, while many people we passed looked the other way. Instantly, I felt like a prisoner being led to the guillotine, but one advantage I had was this monster. No one would harm me.

Head held high, I followed while Norris took us down the hidden pathway Sage showed me. In the day, it posed as another hallway, fashioned with many doors, but I knew its secrets and so did Norris and Karen. We came upon the last door in the hallway and Norris flashed his face toward a camera. I watched as the door opened and the brisk winter air swirled around us.

A storm was upon us, white fluffy snow fell sideways as the wind spun in circles. My security tightened around me as the wind picked up. I pulled the fur lined hood of the parka above my head and tracked our walk. From surviving mostly in woods, I gained the ability to recognize shapes and used them as road maps. The winter blast didn’t make it easy for me, but I knew exactly where I came from.

Within minutes, we were upon a small shed that I noticed before. It looked vacant, identical to the shell of a cabin the Cove hid underneath. Its rusted walls and tarnished roof covered a small space, no bigger than a handicapped out house. Once again, Norris flashed his face toward a small black orb, while his two guards stood on alert outside. We entered into a dimly lit room, bare except for a set of steps off to the side of the room. The freezing temperatures spread their deathly fingers inside and my heart quickened at the thought of Michael. Was he tortured by staying out of here in the cold? What have they done to him? My questions were quickly answered.

Upon descending the steps, we passed another doorway and the air intensified with heat. While it seemed like a frozen tundra upstairs, it was the tropics down here. Karen lowered her hood and unbuttoned her jacket. We came to a hallway, lit with bright lights and showcased rooms through glass floor-ceiling windows. I watched as we passed the first on both sides of me, each empty but displayed a bed, and a door. “What is this place?”

“This our containment cells for people who need a little time to cool down. It’s best that we keep them away from the others…”

“So the mood doesn’t become contagious,” I finished her statement. It was the same with the infected during the early days. People thought they would learn something by containing them, but also stay safe with the isolation. The clear glass showed this was no different.

A strong stench of blood filled my nostrils, and instead of gag like I would’ve in the past, my mouth watered. I swallowed down the liquid and tried to hide the rumble of my stomach, but Norris must’ve heard. His knowing eyes stood alert as he assessed me.

“Are you alright?” Karen asked, as she noticed Norris’ expression.

“I’m fine, where is he?”

“He’s at the last cell. It’s the most comfortable,” she added, as if this made it better.

My feet pulled me closer, faster than the others. Upon reaching the glass window to his cell, my heart dropped. He sat on the floor, identical to the way I opted for most of the week. From here, I couldn’t see any bruises, but the scent of blood still lingered. “Is he alright?” I asked; there was no need to feign ignorance of their abuse.

“He’s vitals are fine, but like yourself he refuses to eat. This meeting is for the both of you. If he sees that you are well, than hopefully he will cut off this damn suicide wish. His death is not an option,” she said sternly.

“Well maybe it’s his distrust that has caused him to stop eating, not my well-being.”

“That’s nonsense!” She snapped; her agitation slipped before she reeled it back in. She took a step back and held herself, a tiny finger pointed at the doorway. “Unlock it for her, Norris,” she ordered him, then turned away. Norris did her bidding and opened the door for me. His stiff stature brought no comfort as I cautiously stepped forward.

“I’ve done nothing wrong, why do you keep coming here?” His voice, weak with fatigue, muffled from being hidden in his arms.

“Michael…” I called out to him as the door closed behind me. I called once more, before his head lifted and he looked at me. Those sky blue eyes inspected me closely before recognition registered.

“You’re okay?” he asked, almost uncertain that I was there.

I nodded. “How are you?”

For the first time in weeks, I saw the shadows of a smile, small but it was still there. “I glad you are okay, but what did they do?”

At his question, my eyes grew wide as I turned toward the window. Instead of Norris and Karen, I only saw my reflection but Michael knew immediately what I was thinking. He too looked at the mirror and stood. “Jesus,” I whispered as I viewed the stiffness of his motion. His powerful body, now arched in pain, glistened with a bruised face. “Oh, Michael,” I cried. Feet crossed the distance fast, set on supporting him. As soon as I reached him, he slumped in my arms, his weight almost impossible for me to carry alone. “Let’s get you to the bed,” I offered but he looked toward a door at the back of the room.

“There. Help me use the bathroom.” Michael wrapped a heavy arm around my waist and leaned his entire body into mine. I hugged him as his head laid upon mine; we began to struggle. Once we reached the door, Michael turned the knob and pushed it open. He led me inside the dimly lit bathroom and slammed the door shut.

“Michael?” I wondered as he stood up to his full height, all of his weight supported on two sturdy legs. His back straightened and bent backwards in a stretch. I watched as the man who was weak, now transformed into the SEAL I met.

“We don’t have much time before they’ll become suspicious. So, are you certain that you are okay?” he asked and came forward, his body not more than a foot away.

“I…I…I don’t know exactly. I mean, no…” my words became a jumbled mess, and my thoughts weaved together. I wasn’t well, I told myself, but the words wouldn’t come out. I was afraid of his reaction.

“What’s wrong?” He pressed on but I wouldn’t waste precious time.

 “We need to leave. We need to get Jasper and leave this fucking place tonight,” I said, urgently.

“What is going on?” Michael asked. The room exploded with nervous energy and I knew that he wouldn’t say no.

“They did something to Jasper, right under my eyes. He’s changed, morphed. Karen gave him an altered virus, one like the Z’s and enhanced his abilities, but the last time she did that, the people turned. Michael they became those monsters herding in the basement of the academy. I can’t let her turn him; I can’t let her turn me.” Soon hysteria would lead me over the edge and I searched his eyes for strength. So much was wrong.

Michael soaked in every word, his calm even though I know he was wary of my condition. “Is that what they did to you?” he asked and I hesitated. Once again, fear too over before I could be honest.

“I’m fine.” I lied.

“They didn’t infect you like Jasper?” he asked again, and I denied the assumption. Suddenly, Michael cornered me against the wall; his right hand gripped my chin. He tilted my face toward him and looked me square in the eye. “At the academy, I looked one of those things in the eyes and saw yellow. Jasper has the same streak in his eyes. It must be a sign of the virus.” He tilted my chin closer to the light, before he resigned. “You’re not infected,” he whispered.

“I told you I wasn’t,” I answered and went to turn away when his force hardened.

“I don’t want to let you go back with them,” his voice transformed into a soft melody that I grew desperate for. My pulse quickened, and sweat coated my palms, I didn’t want to leave him, either.  

“Then don’t. Let’s fight together and get the hell out of here. We can go anywhere. The stories about the small colonies of humans are true. We can go to one of those instead, start anew,” I begged, and knew time would soon run out.

“Two days…” was his quiet reply and my eyes squinted with suspicions.

“That Hispanic woman said the same thing to me this morning.”

“Miriam? She saw you.”

“She’s been feeding me meals all week, the only person I’ve seen in days.”

“Then it must be completed…” he whispered and exited the bathroom far easier than when we entered. I flushed the toilet to support our story, but Michael forgot all about it. He went over to his bed and pulled a book out from underneath; the bible.

“Take this and keep it by your side. Spread the words of wisdom to whoever you come across.” He looked pointedly at the book and then back up at me; his back to the window hid his gestures. I nodded and slowly took the book. Michael’s fingers lingered on mine and his eyes became soft.“Celeste, what happened?”He asked.

“I…I don’t know.”

Oh god, for some reason, I couldn’t tell him. I couldn’t utter the truth because then I would be a lost cause for him. Why would he stay?

Instantly, the realization of how much I needed him rocked me from my stupor and I moved into him, arms went around his waist. Michael responded immediately, his grip tight, added reassurance.  

“I have a need to protect you,” he said, suddenly. His dark voice spoke only a few decimals above a whisper, as his voice caressed my ear.

“They want you to eat, to stay alive. Why are they doing all of this to keep me here…” I voiced and slowly, Michael shook his head.

He pulled away from me and looked me square in the eye.” They are doing all this to keep us both here.”

Confusion plagued me. “Why, what could you offer them?” For the first time, I felt something tonight shift between us…in him. Michael never talked about where he came from, the military academy was the only semblance of his past that he exposed, but I felt like I was on the brink of a precipice. He stood still, his eyes bore into mine, as memories flooded his mind.Suddenly, I thought of the new friend he ate with, Miriam, and her past on the Island. Norris popped into to my head, and the awkward moments Michael shared with the man. “What is your secret?” Suddenly, there was a knock on the door, urgent and loud. He turned toward the door as it opened; his eyes tight, immediate anger transformed his face and his body stiffened. Norris stepped into the room, one eyebrow quirked and amusement on his lips.

“Go ahead, son. Tell her why you are just as valuable as that baby...”At Norris’ words, Michael’s head spun back at me in shock.

“You’re pregnant?”

However, I wasn’t thinking about my condition.” Who are you?”

 

 

End Notes:

What's going to happen in two days? and what is Michael significance? all that and more coming up in the next chapter. 

You're Not Alone by EJBradley
Author's Notes:

Hey!!! So this is a super quick, long chapter just for you. I've found my muse and its doing crazy things with my mind and words. So, as this story comes to an end, I can only start thinking of ideas for another one. So here's to a new chapter. Enjoy!

Confusion plagued me. “Why, what could you offer them?” For the first time, I felt something shift between us…in him. Michael never talked about where he came from, the military academy was the only semblance of his past that he exposed, but I felt like I was on the brink of a precipice. He stood still, his eyes bore into mine, as memories flooded his mind. Suddenly, I thought of the new friend he ate with, Miriam, and her past on the Island. Norris popped into to my head, and the awkward moments Michael shared with the man. “What is your secret?” There was a knock on the door, urgent and loud. He turned as it opened; his eyes tight, immediate anger transformed his face and his body stiffened. Norris stepped into the room, one eyebrow quirked and amusement on his lips.

 

“Go ahead, son. Tell her why you are just as valuable as that baby...”At Norris’ words, Michael’s head spun back at me in shock.

 

“You’re pregnant?”

 

However, I wasn’t thinking about my condition.” Who are you?”

 

***

 

“You’re pregnant…?” Michael repeated, his eyes pinned me to the spot. A series of emotions crossed his face; disgust, confusion, anger.  

 

“With the cure. You should proud of your little whore,”Norris added, but that triggered something deadly. Michael ripped his eyes from me, sent a look of pure hatred at the Norris. The air sparked with his rage as he seethed.

 

“You better run and hide before I get out of here,” the man said, his protective nature front and center.

 

“Who says you’re leaving?” Norris answered confidently. The man snapped his fingers and two guards entered the cell. Silver batons glowed in their fists as they awaited orders. Immediately, I moved forward, ready to interject the mayhem, when Karen joined us.

 

“Norris, call off the dogs!” She waved the two guys away and moved towards me. “It’s time for us to go.” She didn’t wait for a response, just snatched up my hand and dragged me away. I pulled and called out to Michael, who shook his head.

 

“Go Celeste, I’ll come to you. I promise,” he stated as the woman grabbed me again, pulled me from the room. As soon as we crossed the threshold, I looked back, where the guards bounced their sticks and Michael stood defensively.

 

“No!” I snatched my hand away, slapped Karen in the midst, before I ran back into the room. Energy surged through me, filled my body with superhuman strength, as I snuck behind the closest guard and hit him with the bible. Strike one. Shock blinded the man, gave me an advantage and I took it; arms raised, fingers clawed at his face from behind. The man howled, as the metal dropped from his hands and blood poured from his face. 

 

He spun around in full attack mode, but as soon as hateful eyes landed on me, he blanched. Strike two. My right hand shot out still holding the book and crashed into his skulls; his nose shattered. He went to restrain me, but I kicked at him, boots connected with his knee. He dropped and I delivered one more blow. Hungry for more blood, I went to finish the job, however arms grabbed my wrists.

 

“Restrain her now!” the voice unrecognizable as the blood rushed in my head; the rage kept me from seeing straight.

 

“Michael!” I screamed, searched for the man in the growing crowd of military men. Somehow they poured in from the hallway; four circled me. I lashed out at them, they moved, but not far enough for me to see through. I called his name again, but he didn’t answer, and then I felt the prick.

 

I swung around toward the perpetrator, grabbed his wrist and snapped it backwards. The needle dropped, as well as his broken arm. Quickly, the effects took over. It became hard to stand, harder to stay conscious, and before I could figure out what was in the needle, I fell into darkness.

 

***

 

These routines were getting old; I thought as I slowly regained awareness. I had yet to open my eyes, however by the sterile smell I knew I was back in the hospital. I laid on a cold surface as images flooded back; Karen’s visit, Michael’s questions, and the fight. Fed up, I raised my lids and gasped; this wasn’t just any room, but a surgical room, an observation mirror high up on the wall.

 

BANG!

 

My eyes flew toward the ceiling as an alarm resonated from the speakers. It sounded again and went on two more times before there was silence. I looked down at myself, in only a hospital gown with slits on both sides of my abdomen. Colored wires roped out of the openings in the dress, while two monitors beeped in a rhythm. This is so surreal. I watched the screen tracked the fast motions of a heart beat that didn’t mirror my own. The baby “Fuck,” I cursed, and through teary eyes turned away.

 

BANG!

 

Instantly, my hands ripped the patches from my stomach, a set of heartbeats went silent. More cords traveled up the length of the glass table and attached to my head. Shaky fingers followed the wires until it reached the shaved sides of my hairline. “Oh my god…” I whispered and turned toward a surgical tray. All the equipment lay abandoned, while several stools surrounded the bed. They were going to do something else, I thought, but why didn’t they finish…

 

Bang!

 

“Fuck!” I screamed as the alarm bellowed louder, followed by an explosion from the floor above. The room shook from the assault, and immediately, I moved into motion.

 

Bare feet landed on a cold concert floor, while I looked for sharp tools as weapons. I snatched up a pair of scissors and a knife before I pulled the cords out of my skulls. The pain blinded me for a second, but my survival instincts kept me from losing it. Moments later, I was at the walls looking for the way out. Concealed in the white paint, my fingers connected with a tiny button. I pressed it to hear a soft click and then I pushed. Like butter, light sliced through the opening, outlined the way out.

 

With haste and adrenaline, I emerged into a small corridor. Quickly, I ran down, my sweaty footprints left smudged marks, but I didn’t care. I needed out, now.I came upon another door, beside it was a closet full of lab coats. I snatched one and wrapped it around my partially nude body, before slipping into the hallway.

 

BANG!

 

The alarm covered the sound of the closed door behind me, as I raced through the unfamiliar tunnel. It was dark and lit only by red safety lights. My mind set on an escape, I rounded corners and flew past several walkways before I heard them. My body propelled forward as I stopped suddenly. I caught myself on a door knob, which clicked under my weight. Heavy, massive foot falls echoed through the tight space, came directly from straight ahead. They had yet to be in my line of sight, but I knew it would be soon.

 

I took my chances and entered through the door. Darkness greeted me, while the smell of blood alerted me. I took a step back, my shoulder blades against the closed door, as the footstep multiplied on the other side. “First: we find Renegade. Second: the girl. Third: the creator…” This voice was new, and by the sound, very military. Their footwear reminded me of the sounds of Michael’s combat boots, only twenty or so more. An image of the helicopters at the academy came forth and I couldn’t help but feel like these men were the same. However the most nervous thought was the correlation I felt between these men and Michael. “Who are you?” I thought of the last question I asked him… “What would you have to offer to cove?” was my second thought.“…We want them alive, boys, especially the president’s son and the pregnant girl, but kill everyone else if needed,” and a light switch went off in my head.

 

Bang!

 

The alarm went off once more and the scent of blood intensified. My heart raced as I strained to see in front of me. The knife and scissors at the tip of my fingertips, as an inkling of fear crept up my back. Then I heard it.

 

Like a piece of meat dragged across the floor, the sound came from my left, and the smell exploded with scent of death.

 

In pitch black, my feet moved further along the wall, away from the creature, as fingers searched for a light switch. The footfalls of the militants still echoed on the other side, and I feared their reaction more than a Z. I needed to find a corner, I thought. If I have two-thirds of my body cornered, than I would know what direction the Z would come from.

 

Arms up in defense mode, my footsteps quickened and the creature growled. Fuck, he was right next to me. Immediately, I swung to my left and missed. Arms flew back to me, before I swung out with a right cross hook, only to miss again and go straight into the wall. The metal scissor rattled upon impact, as my knuckles thumped against the concrete; the noise burst through the room.

 

“Stop, don’t fight back,” a scared voice, full of urgency, snapped out. Frightened, I lashed out behind me, and swung back, the scissor intent on contact. “Ahh…” she screamed and I realized it was the voice of a child.

 

Suddenly, the lights snapped on and I looked down into the wide, hazel eyes of a little girl. I dropped my hands off the scissors, but they were lodged into the wall; merely an inch away from her throat.

 

She stood frozen and watched me, frightened by my intrusion, while I tried to comprehend a child locked in a room with a… At the thought of the Z, I turned back toward the left of the room saw the gnarly beast, hunger growls and intimidating arms reached out for me, but he wasn’t moving anymore.

 

“They’re all chained up,” the girl finally broke the silence, and I looked back at her. However, her eyes were on the opposite corner. I followed her gaze and gasped, jumped back from the cluster of Zs huddled against each other. “They were all stripped of their ears, so they can’t hear you except for him, but if vibrations on the floor are hard enough, than know you’re here.”

 

“What are you doing in here?” I eased backward until the cold wall greeted me, and my legs sagged.

 

She looked at me, sadness in her eyes. “I’m hiding. This is the last place they’ll think to find me,” she whispered.

 

“Because this is the last place you should be. Children do not play in rooms like this. What if…”

 

“I’m not playing; they’re not playing with me. They’re hurting me…”

 

I took her in and noticed that she wore an identical gown as me. Stab marks littered her arms from the needles and her ghostly skin showcased massive vines across her neck and face. She was beyond skinny, almost as frail as a skeleton. Her head was shaved on the sides, like mine, while two small puncture wounds left the mark of monitors. What hair she had was blond and long, though stringy and thin. “Who’s hurting you?” I asked as she took in my appearance. Her eyes lingered on the gown and the lab coat I tried to hide under.

 

“The same people that’s hurting you; the same people that will hurt us all.”I shivered from her words and looked back toward the angry Z, straining against his restraints. His movements were erratic, jittery, caused the floor to bounce.

 

“We need to stop him from moving,” I said, and kept on eye on the cluster that began to move. I felt metal against my left arm and looked down to see her holding out a long machete.

 

“I know where they store the confiscated weapons.” Impressed by her knowledge, I wasted no more time. I grabbed the weapon and looked the fucker in the eye. I approached with slow movements, and this seemed to encourage him more. “Make it quick, …”she added and I followed her instructions, I brought my arms up like I held a sacred bat and this was the World Series. One. Two. Three…and I let go; his head flew up in the air, as the machete cut clean through his neck. “Catch him before he falls,” she screamed, however it was too late. The Z’s body slumped hard onto the floor, before tipping over like a deep tree. 

 

A deep silence exploded through the room as all eyes snapped toward the Z cluster, watched with baited breath. One moved, then another, and then, there was a piercing howl. “Fuck, come on!” I yelled as all the Z’s spun around and piercing yellow eyes connected with mine. Immediately, I identified this as not the normal Z’s like the one I killed, no, they were in the state of transformation, into something angrier, hungrier, and deadlier.

 

I snatched the girl’s hand and ran for the entry door. “Jump over his body!”I screamed as the girl deadpanned, watched the clustered Z’s come to life. “Come on!”

 

“They’ll reach you; they’ll reach us before we can leave,” she stuttered, and I looked behind in time for one of the bastard’s hand to reach out and grab my shoulder. Her power was magnificent, and I stood no chance, but then something clicked, that primal instinct surged through my groin.

 

Straight away, I dipped low, arms high as I slipped out of the lab coat and out of her arms. Immediately, I snatched at her outspread limbs and twisted it above my head, before I pulled her arm straight out of the socket. Next, my right hand fisted and went right into her glaring mouth, open wide, waiting for the taste. However, my fist skated right over her tongue and came out on the other side of her head. Demon eyes latched on to mine, as the Z went lax, dead instantly. However, I couldn’t stop. I knelt down over the fallen corpse and ripped at her body; yanked limbs apart and stabbed at its stomach. I wanted to destroy her, conquer her, and drink the blood from her decayed flesh...,and suddenly, reality hit me hard. It was like I watched something take control over me, and my hands were posed wide, covered with dripping intestines.

 

Snapped back, frantically I drop the innards from my hands and turned toward the girl.” Is there another way out?” I called, fearful of my own actions. I jumped back over the first Z, however the little girl cowered away from me. “Is there another way out?” I screamed at her, irritated with her sudden quietness, but then I realized she looked at me in fear. “I’m sorry, I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to yell, but we’ll die in here if you don’t tell me.” I reached out in kindness and she only crawled into the corner, her eyes never leaving mine. “Please, don’t be scared. I’ll save you…”

 

“But you’re one of them, you’re an infected.”

 

Instantly, I shook my head, denied her words, before I remembered the test Michael gave me. “My eyes are yellow?” I asked, and the little girl nodded. “Oh shit, oh shit…”and like the safety sound, my body rung with alarm.

 

“Behind you!”The girl screamed and I dropped to the floor, to see a big guy above me, his grip missed me by inches. I crawled over to the fallen machete and quickly, snuck behind him. With clear precision, I sent the knife straight down on his head, before repeating the motion until I reached his spinal cord. The man fell.

 

“Remember what you said, they hurt me too, but I’m human, will always be, as long as I control myself,” I said and looked at the poor girl in sympathy. She gasped slowly, her eyes widened in disbelief.

 

“They’re brown again.” I knew, because at that moment, I felt all the strength leave me, and I staggered across the fallen Z’s to her. “And I know another way out. Follow me.”I watched as the girl picked something up from the floor and wind it up. Confusion didn’t last long as the toy lit and displayed an intense lightshow. She tossed it to the other side of the room and like flies to a lamp, the Z’s attention were diverted. “I always knew that would come in handy.” A smile of victory passed her lips, before she made a mad dash toward the corner all the Z’s clustered at. It was also the closest corner to them. “Hurry,” she instructed me, as she reached up on the wall and like the observation room I came from, a sliver of light cut through the paint. She pushed the door opened enough for her to slip out, before I did the same. Within seconds, I slammed it shut and looked toward a set of stairs, the little girl had already ascended them.

 

“Wait…wait. Where are you going?” I called to her as I too climbed to the second landing and saw a medical desk. A glass window overlooked the chaos below, as the equipment taped their every move. “I have friends that can help you, us. We must find them and then we can leave.” I addressed the plan, not worried that she was still a scared preteen.

 

“Leave, to go on the outside?”

 

“Yes, to leave on the outside, away from the cove. We’ll go so far away they won’t be able to find us.”

 

“Can that happen?” she asked, hoped laced her words.

 

“Yes, I promise.” I owed her a life, a safe one.

 

She was silent, looked down through the window, before her head turned to me and she nodded. “I don’t remember the outside.”

 

And I smiled at her innocence. “You don’t have to. It’s like paradise.”

 

 

 

 

End Notes:

Thanks for reading!!! I would love to hear your thoughts, especially on our new character. More to come soon!!!

The Way Out by EJBradley
Author's Notes:

So as vacation comes quickly for me, I'm writing more and more, focused on finishing this story soon. About two more chapters left...

I hope you enjoy this one. 

“Come on,” I whispered to the little girl hidden behind me. Violet was her name, spoken with strength and pride. She didn’t say a surname, and I didn’t push. Family legacies no longer mattered. I did wonder how she got here, but Violet’s face was already set for action. Instead, I kept my mouth shut and proceeded out of the room, with only one mission; confiscated weapons.

Violet proved to be a valuable asset, especially in the dark, unfamiliar hallways. She knew most of the cove, either through walkways or the ventilation system. “One time, I ran away from the hospital, using the vents, and found tricks.” Assurance came in the form of the security code she repeated; learnt it from watching a soldier. The girl was smart, resourceful, if anything she would be the safest way out.  “Turn left.” Her tiny voice, muffled in my arm, though thin fingers poked me on the left side of my back.

I followed her lead; one ear listened for people, the other listened for Zs. If they kept one room on this floor full of the undead, who’s to say they didn’t have more. I made sure not the machete, either. Like a sword of valor, I kept it high and aimed. I was ready to put up one hell of a fight.

“We have to climb the stairs.”

“How many levels?” I asked, as we closed in on the stairwell.  Separated by a door, through the window, I saw darkness. I moved closer, nose pressed against the cool glass, strained to see anything. However, only a sliver of red light marked the safety system. Flashbacks from months outside the cove brought back anxiety, and fear shook me from head to toe. I didn’t trust the darkness; I didn’t trust what it could hide. “How many levels do we have to travel?” I asked, and suddenly, there was a crash.

Boom!

Violet shrieked and nearly jumped into my arms. The sound exploded from above us, but rattled the floor as well. I placed one arm around her as I listened for movement, and froze, once I heard the scream. Like a mangled cat, there was the undeniable sound of a Z. “Fuck.” I cursed, and back into the stairwell door.

“Three levels…yes, three,” she uttered but my attention was no longer on her, and now on the shadows that spread along the hallway wall. Illuminated by redness, the impending danger moved fast, wild and sporadic; straight from the opposite end of the hallway. They was no denying that, they escaped from a room and spotted us immediately.

“Let’s go.” I grabbed her by the wrist and pulled her through the door into the stairwell. There was no time to listen, we had to move.  “In front of me,” I ordered as we began the trek up two flights per floor. Violet moved quickly, but not fast enough. “Faster,” I yelled, as I heard one of the Zs bang against the door. The sound echoed through the stairwell, caused us both to stumble. They hit it one more time, before the clicking of the doorknob and the door fell to the ground. Immediately the Z burst through the doorway and chased after us. “One more level,” I called as we passed our second floor, but then lazers beamed down the center from above.

“Put your weapon down!” a man yelled and I couldn’t tell if his stiff demand belonged to a person from the cove or the intruders.

“I can’t…” I started, however finishing was not an option. Suddenly, I was pushed back against the wall and out of the light. Violet’s hand was at my mouth and I heard a growl, then a strange creaking, and before I knew it, a Z jumped passed us, used the railing as a ladder.

“Stop, now, or I will shoot!” The soldier yelled, at the creature, not knowing it wasn’t human. The man didn’t send another warning before shot rained and the howls of Zs bounced off the walls.

With haste, I urged the frozen child on, until we reached a landing. Four Zs followed in the footsteps of the first, while a man screamed, and a gun clashed to bottom. Quickly, I felt around for a knob. Bingo…my fingers wrapped around the cool metal and slowly opened. I slipped pass and brought her through, before gently closing the door. We were one level below, but I knew this floor better than the other; it held the bedrooms.

“Come on,” I whispered and flew down the hallway. My room was close to this stairwell, as well as… and I ran head first into a mass, something hard and unyielding yet it was alive.  Knocked to the floor, the machete slipped from my hands and ended with sharp bangs on the ground.

In the darkness, the person moved, and a flashlight lit. “Celeste.” the voice called with recognition and I couldn’t believe my eyes.

“Jasper,” I gasped, but then realized the shooting was over. “Turn off your flashlight now.” Quickly, we were enclosed in darkness and not a second later, the hallway door flew open. Heavy footsteps marked the soldiers and my breath hitched. Jumped to my feet, fingers swung out wide, I looked for Violet. I whispered her name; however the bright flashlight had me blinded. “Violet,” I whispered harshly, but she didn’t respond.

“They’re on the move,” Jasper spoke and I looked up the hallway to see their gun light scan less than fifty feet from me. “Come on,” he found my hand and pulled, simultaneously small fingers gripped the robe I wore.

“Don’t leave me,” she sobbed, and for the first time, I envisioned her as a scared child and not only a resource.

“Never,” I whispered and hugged her towards me as Jasper led us down the hall.

Together our movements quickened before we turned the corner and was again encased in darkness. “We need to find a room. You’ll need clothing…and who’s the kid?” he whispered.

I ignored his question and thought of one man. “We need to find Michael.” As soon as those words left my mouth, Jasper’s grip turned frigid, tight to the point of painful.

“Why? We don’t need him, we don’t need anyone. We can dump the girl in a room where she’ll be safe and then get out of here. I can protect you, I can protect you and the baby…” he whispered and all actions stopped. Instantly, my feet no longer moved and felt it hard to comprehend how he knew about the pregnancy.

“How do you know?”

“You remember I told you that I changed. Well, everyday new things happen. Two day ago, my scent of smell increased and before I knew it, I could smell blood, everywhere. It’s like my body is drawn to it. Even without light I can tell exactly where you are.  However, there are two scents coming from you, similar but very different.” My hand found my stomach, before I could think about of my actions, I rubbed the flat surface. Chills captured me in their tight embrace as his words registered. “We can leave; we can live like we’ve done in the past. Let’s leave.”

This would be so easy, just to escape in the dark, however Michael’s commitment, his strength had me chained. I could never leave Jasper behind, but my heart wouldn’t let me leave Michael at all. “Once we find Michael...”Jasper piped up to interject, but I reached out to him. “Please.”

“Okay, okay…” slowly, Jasper continued down the hallway, as we placed more distance between us and the soldiers. We became dependent on their heavy footfalls, the sound would alert us, while the shadows blocked our traces.

I stayed close to the man, even though I knew exactly where he was taking us. This floor belonged to Michael’s room as well. Sometimes, I heard his voice outside my bedroom door, heard he’s movements through my wall. My heart raced as thoughts of the last time I saw him came forth, my pace quickened. Before long, I was in the front, Violet, positioned herself in the middle.

Jasper entered the bedroom code and the door unlock with a small click. He was the first to enter before Violet and I slipped in afterwards.

“What do we do about Karen and Norris? They will only chase after us?”

Immediately, I looked around the cramped bedroom as recognizable faces watched us; Miriam, Sage, and even one of Karen’s elite, Dr. Marab Adika, but no Michael. Quickly, my eyes went to every corner of the room; the bed was upside down and the desk sat in the middle of the floor, maps with red markings all over the top. Against the wall, close to the door, sat camping bags similar to what Jasper and I used. I observed them all, filled to the max, and noticed Michael’s was missing. Where was he?

“What the hell is she doing here?” The snarl came from Miriam, as those distrustful eyes glared at me. She stood fully from the table and looked at Jasper. “You were supposed to get the supplies and you brought her back here? Do you have a death wish?”

Before he could respond, the hallway door burst opened and Michael raced inside. He snapped the door shut, before he dashed toward the upturned bed. “Help me,” he called out. Immediately, Sage and Jasper went to help him; a boom signaled the soldiers approach. “Their breaking in doors, we need to…Celeste?”

Michael froze, his hand on the light switch. Wide eyes observed my attire before stopping on the little girl beside me. “Quick, the light!” Miriam shrieked as another door exploded down the hallway. Instantly, the light went out and I tightened my hold on Violet.

“Come, we’ll move to the bathroom,” I spoke. We shoved ourselves in the tub and waited with quickened breaths as more doors were brought down. I started to count as the doctor sat on the toilet and the rest stood guard in the room.

“We can escape through the vents,” Violet stuttered.

“We’re too big,” I answered her and she shook her head.

“Not you and I.”

“No. we do not split apart from them, do you understand? These people are my friends and they will protect us.” I could feel her nod against my chest, however I still thought about her words. “What vents were you talking about?”

Suddenly, she gave out precise instructions and how to pop open the lid as another door came crashing down. I pulled away from her. “Stay put,” I whispered and climbed out the tub. My eyes landed on a lump in the corner. “If you touch her, I will cut off every finger and feed them to the Zs you’ve created,” I threatened Dr. Marab, and then entered the room. “I need a gun.”

“For what?” I recognized the voice as Miriam’s. I pictured her, still at the desk, taking cover close to the floor.

“I can divert them away from this room, but I need something to make noise.”

“How?” Jasper asked.

“I’ll travel through the vents to rooms at the end of the hall. We don’t have much time, give me a gun.”

As soon as I finished, I felt him behind me, his breathing still harsh and fast, but the click of Michael’s Smith and Wesson hand gun alerted me to what was offered. “Be safe.”

“I will. Take her with you,” I ordered and with that, I moved toward the grated door.

I needed to move fast; we had two threats now, either the soldiers, or the Z’s that followed the noise. Quickly, I pried open the door with the bottom of my flashlight. It broke free with a small swish and then heated air greeted me. With haste, I moved quickly; quietly, passed rooms, used the light sparingly, to assist my navigation. In my head, I counted as I approached the corner bedroom. Once there, a concrete wall blocked me from moving further and I took this as my cue. I broke free of the tight quarters and climbed out of the space. Quickly, I lit up the room. Vacant.

I searched for anything explosive, but came up empty. “Fuck!” I heard come from the vent and snapped around; flashlight aimed right at…Miriam.

“Why are you here?” I barked, as she climbed through.

“Can you shine that fucking light somewhere else?” She retorted; however I ignored and made sure it hit her right in the face. I repeated my question before she produced a round dark object. “You would need something to use as a diversion and I’m the only one that can fit in the duct,” she explained, at the same time the soldiers knocked down another set of doors. “You open the door, I’ll let it go.”

“Sure,” and I made my way over. I turned off the light, unlocked the knob and opened. Miriam went into action. “What the hell?” I screamed as she turned toward the squad and threw the grenade; it was too late, the bomb exploded.

Everything shook with violent force, before walls crashed down and ceilings rained from above. The sheer force threw me against the bed, where the twin size mattress caught my fall. Seconds later, Miriam crashed on top of me. “Ahh…” I screamed from her elbow to my rib cage.

“Sorry, oh fuck,” she said, as she realized where she landed. “Are you okay? Did I hit the…that thing?” Her eyes fell to my stomach.

“No, I’m fine,” I bit out, as a figure popped through the blown away door.

“Celeste… Miriam?”

“We’re in here; we’re good,” Miriam answered Michael’s call, before she stood and pulled me up by the shoulders. “Come on!”

“She needs shoes,” Jasper called out. Seconds later, a pair of boots slammed to the ground and a flashlight illuminated the area. “We only have seconds, Celeste.” Michael stressed, and I realized Violet was on his back, adorned in his coat, but her feet still bare. I slipped into the shoes and noticed they fit perfectly, but they weren’t mine.

“Don’t mess them up,” Miriam whispered; that explained it.

“Uhh….guys, we got company!” Sage yelled from outside and we all ran into the hallway. No one needed to shine a light; we all heard the growls and screams from the fallen men. Shots started to sound through the hallway and instantly, my crew began to move.

Michael led the way, while Miriam and I took up the middle. Sage and Jasper took up the rear, while the good doctor stayed unarmed in the center. I held tightly onto Michael’s handgun as we stormed through the floor. By now, we were noticed.

“Up!”

“Turn left.”

“Down this hall.”

“Up those stairs!”

We seemed to run for hours before we exited the stairwell and barred the door shut. Silence greeted us as I looked around. “The hospital,” Dr. Marab whispered, and Violet started screaming no.

“What’s wrong?” I went to her as Michael kept his eyes on the hallway. Everyone was on alert, looked for anything that moved. However, those big, innocent blues looked at me, filled with tears.

“They’re in there, more like before.”

“The Zs?” she nodded. I looked at the smoked out glass doors, which appeared to be sealed shut. Sage and Jasper moved closer to the glass, looked at the locks and seam around the doors.

“The hospital is run off its own generators. It can sustain its own lights, and equipment, while trapping everything inside, and everything out.” Dr. Marab spoke.

“You know the code in?” Michael asked him, and the doctor nodded.  

“There ain’t no fucking way I’m going in there,” Jasper piped in. He turned from the door and gave me a pointed look. “Celeste, you know the deal, we can’t do this again,” he said and I knew he was right. The last time we were in a hospital, it almost killed us; emotionally we were destroyed for weeks. Even though Jasper was good at distractions, and I was good at looking for ways out, however this time was different.  It wasn’t just the two of us anymore. I looked around at the group and realized that these people were apart of us now, whether Jasper and I liked it or not.

“The only way out, besides the stairway, is through this hospital,” Michael stressed and Jasper turned angry eyes at him.

“Then why the hell would you bring us to this level. We should have gone straight out of here.” The air grew tense as the man looked around the group. He made his way back to me, distrust evident. “Celeste, something’s wrong here…we need to get out.”

“Listen man, nothing is up. We are leaving, but if you haven’t noticed there are threats upstairs as well. I’m not going to lead anyone from one problem into another. That’s suicide.”

“But they’re here for someone else,” Jasper countered back and instantly, Michael tensed up as well. ‘The president’s son and the pregnant girl…’ those words came forth and I realized that Jasper figured out Michael’s secret as well.

“Back off…” Michael spoke through a clenched jaw.

“We don’t have fucking time for this!”

Instantly, Miriam forced her way between the guys, back toward Jasper and I, while her hands brought Michael’s face to hers. “Fight him later; now, we need to figure a way out.”

With a nod, Michael backed away, but sent a threatening gaze toward Jasper. However, Jasper wasn’t one to step down, instead he completely blocked off view, and turned toward me. “You’ll need these,” he said and produced arrows. They were military grade with metal bodies, and razor sharp heads. Next, he unclipped something from his backpack. It was a state of the art bow. While my old one was an upgraded sports weapon, this one was built for battle. “I knew we would find you, so when we raided the weapons cabinet, I took this. You’ll be familiar with the style; it’s made by the same makers as your old one.”

Impressed with the skilled weaponry, and the speed in which the bows would be released, my fingers itched to use it. “Thanks,” I whispered, sent a smile of gratitude. Our fingers touched for a brief moment, and pulsated energy met mine. I, too, could sense the fast movement of his blood, adrenaline made him active, and it became contagious. We were back in it; survival was again our core mission, security no longer mattered. No longer would the comforts of the cove greet us. We had to fight, would fight, and conquer. I repeated the mantra over and over, but soon the sound of a crashing door in the stairwell had us in motion.

“We’re going through the hospital,” Michael announced and looked at each of us. “Miriam, you and Sage will take the security hallway toward the executive wing. Once you locate the door between the sides and meet us on the other side. Jasper and I will guard from the front, while Dr. Marab, you’ll lock us back in and take up the rear…” Michael looked at me as if he’s truly seeing me. His eyes flashed toward my stomach and then back up. “Celeste, I want you dead center, the girl right beside you. Move from there, and I will personally carry you the whole way, understood?” With no room for arguing, I listened and agreed. “I want you safe, and I can’t save myself if I’m worried about you fighting.”

After his declaration, Michael turned from me and nodded toward Sage and Miriam, who disappeared quickly behind an almost invisible door. He positioned himself at the opening of the hospital doors, Jasper beside him and looked at Dr. Marab, who waited by the security pad. Violet came to stand by my side, the groups Baretta gripped tightly in her fingers.

“On the count of three…” Michael whispered.

“One.

Two.

Three…”

 

*****

End Notes:

oh...the group is split apart. Will Sage and Miriam be on the other side by themselves? Will Jasper, Michael, and Celeste make it through? and who's waiting for them inside. 

R. C. C. D by EJBradley
Author's Notes:

Happy Friday, yall!!! I wanted to get this chapter in super fast, so no one curses me out. I have to give a big shotout to those who leave me comments, it definitely helps me to keep on going. Thanks!!!

So, hope you enjoy,


Run…


Pick up your feet and run, Celeste!


Those words carried me, made my tired, bleeding legs move through empty rooms and a secret hallway…


I turned right, and slammed bloody fingers against the seam of a closed door. I pushed with all my strength and heard a squeak, as the metal slid. The gap was only an inch, but it was enough to slip my fingers through and I pushed against the mechanisms. Slowly, the door moved, again and again.


Boom!


I jumped from the sound, and pushed harder, urged the door to move faster, as footsteps echoed through the maze I had covered. What started as an inch turned into a couple of inches, enough for me to slide through, but my chasers would need to pry it further.


Growls sound from the opposite direction and I made haste of my work. Instantly, I sucked everything in and squeezed through, cut my arms in the process. “Shit…” I cursed and entered another hallway. This one was only lit by a ceiling light, and doors lined the walls. I tested the first door, and the knob turned. It was unlocked. I pushed away and ran to the one across the hall; this too was unlocked. I moved further down, before slipping through the fifth door, as shooting sound through my gap.


The small room I stood in was another security checkpoint for a conference hall. The camera still rolled, showcasing an empty room, a familiar one. I was in that same room when I saw the videos of what happened in other countries, when I saw the footage of our capitol. Quickly, I opened the door that led into the room and shut it, quietly. I clicked it lock, and turned around.  Surprised, I looked at the pushed out chairs, papers at every spot and the monitor came to life.


‘The Rouge…The Chozen…The Carrier…The Doctor…’


Pictures of Michael, Karen’s Daughter, Jasper, and Karen appeared under the names in that order. I looked at the screen, transfixed with the picture of my friend. It was old, one taken before the downfall of our world and the disease that spread. She looked happy, healthy, and I realized it was a holiday photo. She would’ve been with her mother, Jasper right beside her. This was all planned out…she was meant to be in my spot.


My eyes caught lettering underneath her picture; MOTHER. If she was the mother, than Jasper had to be… Instantly, I saw the word FATHER, under the photo and realization hit me. “Oh my god…he’s the father…”


****


One hour ago.


“One…”


With a long hiss, the door unlocked from Dr. Marab’s code and slowly parted. Jasper and Michael stood, tensely at the entry way, while the doctor moved to stand behind me. Michael did a slight nod and then produced a grenade pin. He threw it down the hallway and watched as it clangs against the porcelain floor. We all waited.


Violet crushed her body against mine; fear overtook her, as my eyes concentrated on movement ahead. I tried to her violent tremors, but eventually they pulled at my heart and I reached down to caress her. “Shh…it’s just like before, in the room. I won’t let anything happen, just stay by my side,” I whispered, but she was too scared to respond. “Everything will be okay…”I started to say but a series of growls pulled my attention away. I shoved her behind me and looked between the shoulders of Jasper and Michael.


Suddenly, a Z ran out of a room into the hallway. He stopped in the center and sniffed before hungry, yellow eyes found us and he screamed again. Clothless, his skin dripped, muscles and bones exposed, black ooze marred lacerations. This one was a mutant. “What the fuck is that?” Jasper voiced as we watched the thing’s mouth widen beyond human capabilities. Michael stepped forward, ready to attack, but my adrenaline peaked. Suddenly, an arrow shot forth and nailed the bastard before he could move. The Z fell with a loud thump. Michael’s eyes flew to mine.


“You said to stay in the middle, not to stop saving your ass,” I said, and looked back at the hallway.


“Thanks,” came his quick response before he signaled for us to enter.


Slowly, we all slipped through the opening and Dr. Marab pressed in the code to lock the doors behind us. I watched as they came together, just before something slammed against the stairwell door. Violet screamed from the attack and moved closer, made it hard for me to adjust. Michael looked back again, but I told him to worry about covering the front. With a scowl, he snapped back around and raised his gun higher, his hunting knife in his other hand.


“Hand to hand combat first, guns only if necessary, “Michael whispered to the group, but this was basic knowledge. Once again, his hand signaled for us to move forward and we did…only to stop five feet ahead.


“To your right!”  Jasper called suddenly, no immediate danger insight, but then I too, smelled it. An overwhelming sense of rotten blood, too much to just be one. We all watched the right hallway, and three seconds later and swarm of Z’s came scattering out. Michael moved forward, broke formation to kill the first ones, while Jasper quickly followed.


I aimed my loaded bow and shot. One down, two down, three… “Celeste, watch out!” Violet pulled me, so I could see a Z come from a room to the left, his growl silent from the hole in his throat. Quickly, I pulled out a single arrow from the holster and plunged it deep into it’s head. With a crack, the metal penetrated the skull and the Z was dead. I pulled the arrow back out and held it out toward the doctor.


“Hit them in the head…” He nodded, before I moved forward and aided in the boys with the Zs.


Quickly, the cluster slowed before the last one approached and the honors was due to Jasper. With stealth, he snuck behind the fucker and punched right into the back of the Zs head, destroyed the creature in one go. He pulled his fist out, covered with black ooze as the Z joined the others on the floor. That’s when I noticed there was only one mutated Z amongst the cluster. “They travel in packs.” I broke the silence and pointed to the first one I shot down.


“What are they?” Jasper asked.


“They are the ones we saw in the academy, the ones in that tunnel. I saw them again, when I found her. They’re turning them.”


All eyes went to the doctor, who looked up at me. “I had no part in that, no say. I never wanted to enhance people’s ability. I thought we were already perfect. As human’s we survived for ages, and will continue. It was the other’s idea. They wanted superhuman, an army. I refused, so they shut me out, but I figured it would continue especially after…” He stopped, his eyes fixated on the dead mutant. “I knew him,” he said sympathically.


“We don’t have time for this. We have to find the door.” Michael got everyone back on track and again, we went back to formation, but Dr. Marab was still in his head.


“Snap out of it, or you’ll join him,” I snapped at the man, before he nodded and closed up the rear. Quickly, we joined the others and raced passed the main hallway, made an immediate right, before our journey was halted.


In the middle of the hallway, another cluster of Zs went to town on a poor hospital employee. His body still writhed, and by smell it was a fresh kill. So engrossed, they didn’t even notice us watching them, and we didn’t want them to. Michael took one step back, slowly another; the group followed.  


Once back at the intersection, we continued down our previous path, this would lead to a set of surgical rooms. Violet stirred. Afraid to speak, I looked at the young girl, fresh tears slid down her face, and her steps became labored. She battled the will to continue, while immense fear emanated from her. That’s when I smelt it; Jasper, too.


A forceful arm stopped Michael in his place; Jasper used his other hand to extend a finger to his lips. I sniffed in deeply and noticed the air was charged with the smell of death. The stench was enough to ward off the average Zs; it could only belong to mutants. Violet crept up against me, as I tried to locate the source, but it engulfed us. Jasper shook his head and took one step back. We heard the cry.


“Hey guys…” Dr. Marab stuttered and I turned around to see the cluster at the other end of the hallway. The movement of our group enticed the undead and they screamed, again.


“Oh fuck…” Jasper cursed and I was afraid to look forward. “Celeste, find us a way out now!”


Immediately, shots were being fired from both ends as I looked around the space. Fingers trembled against my bow, adrenaline coursed through my body. I looked at two glass doors. One lead to a room filled with more Zs, pilling up to be free, the other was pitch black. “Celeste…!” Michael yelled, as he swiftly pulled a shotgun from his back. The mutants began to run toward us.


“This way!” I screamed as my heart raced and my blood boiled. I ran to the darkened room and remembered the security code Violet told me. With quick work, I made it to the key pad as a hand gripped me. I looked at the raw flesh, rotted and torn. Instantly, I pulled an arrow out of the holder and jammed it right in the head. It dropped but not without another to replace its spot. This time, I pulled out another arrow and aimed for the throat.


“Ahhh…!” The scream pierced through sense, shook me from reality; Violet. My arm slipped, the arrow caught the Z in the chest. Instantly, I pushed hard, sent the fucker backwards before I looked for Violet. Her fallen gun sat in the middle of the floor, as she ran from two Zs. 


“No, Violet!” I screamed and raced to catch her, and I felt it. Like an addict with a line of coke, my body trembled and everything turned. The air intensified and filled me with pure hunger. Rage surged through me and fueled my muscles with iron. Once again, I was gone and something took over my body.


Quickly, feet ran to the Beretta and fingers scooped it up, and pointed. Click. With perfect precision, the closest Z dropped at Violet’s heel and seconds later, the other was down. The girl continued to run, as I charged afterward, made sure to take down every Z in my way. “Celeste!” Someone screamed behind me, as footsteps followed, but I was preoccupied. I needed to protect her. I promised her.


I round a corner, like she did, and came upon the hallway the cluster came from. The employee was now back alive, but was limbless with a hole in its abdomen. “Sorry,” I said, before my right foot crashed down upon its head; the sharp crack of the skull echoed through the hall.


“Celeste,” an arm gripped me, and I swung with the gun aimed right at…Michael.


“Whoa…It’s me…” he said and suddenly let go, his shot gun raised.


“What’s up?” Jasper came next, the doctor right behind him. “What the fuck?” He muttered; his eyes on me.


“Violet…I need to find her,” I voiced and without hesitation, I was back on the hunt. With quiet, deliberate steps, I made haste of the large tiled floor. The Zs were no longer on the chase; the boys took down the rest, so all we needed was her.


She hadn’t gone far, this I felt. However, she was excellent at hiding. I continued to run, breathing harshly to sniff in her scent; a smell I didn’t know I recognized. “Violet…” I hissed, bow raised, eyes wide, ears alert.


We approached another intersection; one hallway lead to where all the action took place, another continued toward more rooms, one we just came from, and the last lead to the our destination. Carefully, I scanned that hallway. The lights were shot out in most places, unlike the rest of the lit sections on the floor. Desks, chairs, even some beside tables became obstacles.


With every pound of my heart, I traced every inch. The others quiet as I concentrated, however one stood right beside me. Those deep eyes shone with knowledge and I knew he found her. Jasper wasn’t lying when he said his nose was better. “She’s bleeding.”


Those words, so common, became the whistle for my race. Without a plan, I bolted from my spot and ran. “Violet!” I screamed and sprinted down the hall, leaped over anything that stood in my way. That’s when I, too, smelt her. It was the smell of fear, innocent tears, and youthful blood, so much blood. “No!” I screamed as my stomach rumbled, and my feet moved faster. She was caught…she was dead… I thought.


We made it to the end of the hallway, and my body flew to the right, only to be pulled back. “Stop.”  My back hit the hard surface of a well sculpted chest, one arm wrapped tightly around my waist.


“Let me go!” I screamed against Michael’s harsh grip. Blinded by rage, I didn’t see what looked to be Zs, were actually humans, living, breathing military men; Norris’ boys.


“You better listen to him.” The smell of a lit cigar wafted through the space between us and the man. Slowly, the circle of men parted and Norris emerged, Violet’s neck in his hand.


“Let her go!” I screamed, and fought against Michael, but he held me back. Next to me, Jasper growled, the rumble low, but still there.


“Buchanan, tame that bitch, or I’ll neuter her.”


“Why don’t you try,” I spat.


“I would break your neck; however there are other plans for you. I guess this one will do,” and Violet screamed as his gripped tightened. Frail hands scratched at his fingers, but she didn’t do much damage.


I couldn’t watch…I couldn’t… and it happened before I could blink. My aggression ten folded. My elbow flew back into Michael’s abdomen. He hissed with pain, his arm loosened and I pushed out of his hold. Quickly, I charged, and the first soldier stepped out of formation, in full protective gear. Immediately, I aimed my arrow for his neck, but his face guard blocked the hit. I tried again, but I was shaky from movement, so I got rid of the thing.   Hands free, the soldier dropped his weapon and cracked his knuckles. Game on, Bastard.


He threw the first punch, which I stepped out of and gripped his outstretch wrist. I twisted underneath his reach and brought his arm down across my shoulder. The man howled in agony, as a crunch exploded through the air; his elbow shattered. With a broken arm, he tried to swing with the other, but I backed away, waited for another weak spot…and there it was. He advanced fast, pulled back for an attempt and I launched. His head tilted slightly to the right as he used his body to strengthened the blow. I sacrificed a hit to the right shoulder for the advantage to his neck, and went in for the kill. My fist made contact and continued through, until bloody fingers broke through his cervical vertebrae.


I let the man’s dead body sink to the ground and look at Norris. The man smiled with genuine amusement and whistled. Loud footsteps echoed behind me and I realized Michael, Jasper, and the good doctor had moved forward, now their backs were against mine; we were surrounded.


“You would risk everything for a child you don’t know?” Norris called out, but I continued to watch him. The men around him advanced, four this time. “You know, I was told not to kill you, but Karen doesn’t need the others. Boys, you know the plan…”


“Ahhh!”


The scream came from behind all of us, carried from the hallway we ventured through. Jasper looked toward me, and one sniff was all I needed to know. Everyone stopped, silence became tortourous. Suddenly, several soldiers cried at the same time. “Over there,” they said and shots began to fly. No longer worried about Norris, I watched as the circle of men he had began to drop like flies, as they screamed and fought against the invisible predator.


Michael brought up his gun and shot, but clicks meant empty chambers. Jasper did the same, with the same results, Dr. Marab was motionless. “Fight back!” Norris yelled, and the first of his men turned the hallway into a light show. “Kill them,” he screamed.


The fighters who weren’t caught, were now in line with us, moving further and further back by the minute. It was hard to see the Z’s from the armed men that hung from their mouths, but the smell of them made me sick. “There’s too many…too many Celeste,” Jasper said next to me, and I knew he was right. You picked your battles and this was one where you let the other guys do the work.


I nodded, and ran. I turned around and raced toward Norris, his attention on the newest threat. The hallway was total mayhem, Norris boys unloaded carriages, while the mutated fuckers pushed forward, their appetite never sated. I kept toward the wall, furthest away from the gunshots., tried to gain more space from danger, however those things kept coming.


I grabbed a knife from the belt of a guard, and looked for Norris to see his spot vacant. Fast movement caught my eye and I chased after. He still had Violet, but he was running toward the door, the connection spot. Five guys raced behind him, still in formation, so shooting was out of the option. “No…” I yelled as the door opened suddenly, and the men sped up.   


Feet moved faster, encouraged by our close distance. Someone called my name, and the urgency in the words made me respond. “Stop,” Michael said, and surprisingly, my body listened.


The distinct cry of more Zs filled the air from in front of us and before I knew it, Violet emerged from the small group of men. She ran toward me. At the same time, Micheal screamed, “grenade,” and black objects flew into the air.


Time slowed as I watched Violet arms reach for me. Men yelled, and began to retrace their steps, some with Z’s on their heels, others shot open doors in order to take cover, and yet I was frozen. I was stuck. ‘Sorry’ was on my lips and surprisingly, my hand flew to my stomach. Everything was over.


Boom!


.


.


.


.


.


“Ahh!” I woke with a scream; eyes wide, yet disoriented. Something heavy lay on my leg, clouds of dust blinded me. I reached down, and my fingers hit fabric. I sat up, and reached again; it was a person. The stench of fire, smoke, and burning flesh tore at my lungs. My ears rung andn head pounded as blood rushed to the brain.  


I looked down again, hands going the person’s heavy shoulders. With as much strength as I could muster, I pushed him over and immediately, reached for a weapon. “Norris?”


Dark eyes, shone with pain, looked back at me. Norris was the one who saved me. “Why?” the word slipped as the man coughed blood. I looked down at his abdomen, to see a piece of wood sticking out.


“Because it’s my mission,” he choked out, through spurts of blood. His mission…I thought and suddenly everything hit me; the grenades, the Zs, Michael…Violet. Quickly, I pushed back from him and stood. Everywhere, faint moans of either the undead or the dying signaled the chaos, but I disregarded them. I staggered out into the hallway, where water showered from the ceiling. The crisp cold rain cleared much of the smoke, made it easier to see. I looked around the debris and fire to see walls caved in, barricaded us from the rest of the hospital; however the door was still open. With pain, I slumped around; searched for Violet, Michael, Jasper…even the doctor, but only came up with nothing.


Fingers scraped at the bottom of my feet and I looked down to see one of Norris’ men. He transformed. I snatched his hand gun from its holster and without much thought, brought it down on his skull, repeatedly. The once crisp white lab coat I covered myself in, was now covered with blood, underneath the gown was torn. I looked at the dead soldier, and began to undress him; stole his bulletproof vest, several weapons, and his ripped shirt. I tied it around my neck, as the sound of movement came from behind. Those things were still alive, and that barricade wouldn’t last for long. Frantically, I looked around once more for a sign of anyone, and came across footsteps. Sluggish boots and small footprints led toward the adjoining door. Where complete destruction had taken over in here, beyond the door everything looked intact. They must’ve left. This was the only way. 


Part of the barricade fell behind me and I heard the Zs cry. It wouldn’t be long until they break through. Encouraged, I moved forward, out of the hospital, through the door, and into the executive hallway; the barricade broke down. I stood at the end, ready to take off when the recognizable voice of Norris screamed, followed by the mangled cry of the mutants. I didn’t hide the smile.


“Put your weapon down now!”


Suddenly, I was blinded by light. Immediately, I turned away from the ambush, but the guy yelled again. “Stay where you are and drop your weapon!” the call threatening.


“I...I…,” I stuttered.


“Ma’am put down the weapon or we’ll be forced to…” and with a clink, I let go. The handgun fell from my fingers, before the scent of the mutants sent me running. “Stop!” the guy yelled, but my body reacted before I knew how close danger was.


“Run!” I screamed into the lights, and then heavy footsteps came to the end of the hallway, Zs slid along the porcelain floors.


“Fire!” the man screamed to what must have been a squad and suddenly, I ducked. Bullets flew above me, as Zs spilled out from the hospital; some mutated, others were Norris’ turned men. 


Quickly, I crawled on the floor toward the nearest wall and felt around. There was a door.


“Advance!” and the squad listened. Gunshots stopped momentarily, giving me enough time to access the security pad. Quickly, I pushed in the numbers and the door hiss. I didn’t give it enough time to fully open, before I barged in. Once inside, I noticed I was in a small office, another door toward the back. I raced against that as a fresh wave of Zs hit my nose and guys fired again. I entered the security code and continued on into a boardroom. Its light flashed on with my sudden movement, and I looked for another way out. Suddenly, footsteps could be heard from the way I entered.


I spotted another door, raced to that one. It was not locked with a keypad, and the knob gave way instantly. “Stop right there!” The same guy from before called and I bolted. “After her! We need her alive!”


“Fuck!” I cursed, as I entered a dimly lit hallway.


Run…


Pick up your feet and run, Celeste!


Those words carried me, made my tired, bleeding legs move through empty rooms and a secret hallway. By now, I had made some distance between me and the men; however I could still here their footsteps. They trekked me like a predator would, waited until I dropped with exhaustion before they ambushed, but I couldn’t stop, not without them…


I turned right, and slammed bloody fingers against the seam of a closed door. The security pad was broken, keys punched by a bloody fist.  I pushed against the metal with all my strength, until I heard a squeak; the aluminum slid. The gap was only an inch, but it was enough to slip my fingers through and push against the mechanisms. Slowly, the door moved, again and again.


Boom!


“Shit.” I jumped from the sound, and pushed harder, urged the door to move faster, as footsteps echoed through the maze I had covered. What started as an inch turned into a couple of inches, enough for me to slide through, but my chasers would need to pry it further.


Growls sound from the opposite directions of the soldiers and I made haste of my work. Instantly, I sucked everything in and squeezed through, cutting my arms in the process. “oh, god,” I cried and entered another hallway. This one was only lit by a ceiling light, and doors lined the walls. I tested the first door, and the knob turned. It was unlocked. I pushed away and ran to the one across the hall; this too was unlocked. I moved further down, slipped through the fifth door, as shooting sound through my gap.


The small room I stood in was another security checkpoint for a conference hall. The camera still rolled, showcased an empty room, a familiar one. I was in that same room when I saw the videos of what happened in other countries, when I saw the footage of our capitol. Quickly, I opened the door that led into the room and shut it quietly. I clicked it lock, and was surprised to see chairs pushed out, papers at every spot and the monitors on.


‘The Rouge…The Chosen…The Carrier…The Doctor…’


Pictures of Michael, Karen’s Daughter, Jasper, and Karen appeared under the names in that order. I looked at the screen, transfixed with the picture of my friend. It was old, one taken before the downfall of our world and the disease that spread. She looked happy, healthy, and I realized it was a holiday photo. She would’ve been with her mother, Jasper right beside her.


My eyes caught lettering underneath her picture; MOTHER. This was all planned out…she was meant to be in my spot. I made to look away before I saw the word FATHER, too. It was under another photo, and realization hit me. This made no sense. “…he’s not the father…”










End Notes:

oh fuck...who's the father? Does Karen get away? Where the hell is Michael, Jasper, Violet, and Dr. Marab?

With only one chapter left, so many questions to answer...ahhh!!! Thanks reading, and feedback is encouraged. 

Fallen by EJBradley
Author's Notes:

OH MY! Well its been a long ride for me with this story. It was intended to just be something short and sweet, however I couldn't help but expand. So with that I give the finale chapter. Enjoy, 

A click from behind called my attention back to where I entered. Wide eyed while my heart pounded, I waited… Weaponless with an injured leg, there wasn’t much of a fight left in me. I had to hide, but I couldn’t leave the room. Quickly, I searched the lit conference room, bare except for a large table, several pushed out chairs and screen. Once more, my eyes found that daunting word; FATHER.

Slam.

They were inside; there was no doubt. I remembered the security room, it’s camera revealed my every move. With speed, I picked up the first chair I could grab and located the recording device. I waited for it to crash, before heading toward the side door. Karen took me out this exit before. I cracked it, only to retrace my steps and dive under the huge table. If I was quick enough, whoever opened the door would believe I left.   

Four thick Redwood table legs arched underneath the table top with a small platform between them. The distance between the pairs was enough to support my body from the floor. I took advantage.  Like a cat, I raised my arms and brought my feet up seconds before I heard their heavy footfalls. Quietly, I laid my head against the thick wood, allowed it to collect my sweat and suffocate my labored breaths. Please find the door, please, I prayed.

There were many, far too many to escape, all of them stormed in the room like a hurricane. Their steps, deliberate and precise, circled the space in heavy laced up combat boots.  Immediately, a few took my bait and exited the room instantly, however a good few stayed behind. With heavy concentration, I counted the boots that now surrounded the table. One, two, three, four, five,…

“Looks clear, Sgt.” Suddenly, a voice echoed from the head of the table, closest to the drop down screen.

“Clear...over here, too.” This voice came from far behind me, before two more guys called it clear. Silence took over, spread through the room like a plague and I feared my breathing would betray me.

“Are those the civilians we’re looking for?” This voice was deep, and husky. I pictured a mountain man twice my size, with a long full broad upon his angry face.

“I’d screw her,” voiced another, this one crisper and higher pitch. I could take him, I thought.   Another quickly joined before footsteps inched closer to the table.

“Don’t stare too long, boys, the girl’s different. Supposedly, the blonde died before the cove got to her. In her place, they took the friend. Black girl, between 5’7 and 5’9, roughly around 160-175lbs, small waist, big ass…” Disgust morphed my face, and I bit down the foul insults across my tongue.

“Isn’t she traveling with that guy, and what does it mean that he’s a carrier?” Someone asked to my left.

“I don’t know, and frankly, I don’t care. They sent us to pick up these three and that doctor, and that’s what we’re going to do. The girl’s here, I’m guessing the guy, too…” This was from the first voice.

“What about the president’s son, LT.?” asked the guy to my left.

This created a pause amongst the men as they discovered the papers. I flinched as someone dropped a gun on the table.

Finally, a new voice answered, heavy footfalls signaled his path as he marched around the table. “They never found him, but I know who’ll lead us right to him.”

“I’ll kill that fucking sneaky son of a bitch. He’s probably helping the rebels, have the Rogue right under our noses,” snarled the guy to my left.

“When the time comes, and our path crosses, kill him, keep the other. Now find the girl!” Their leader commanded, his voice determined. Quickly, the squad divided, exited the room through two doors, and my body gave out.

With a loud thump, I collapsed to the floor. My arms and legs shook with exhaustion as my head tried to wrap around their words. The government was after us, but not Michael. He wasn’t the presidents’ son like I thought, so who was he? Why would they want him dead?

Quickly, I crawled from under the table, determined to distance myself from the military squad. One look, I saw what brought the guys to the table. Paperwork littered the surface, maps imprinted upon the papers, red ink scribble across the lines. Names identified the places, their city and state underneath. Most had their known population listed at the bottom. What the hell were they searching for?

With quick fingers, I snatched up most of the copies and stuffed into the chest of the bulletproof vest just as a voice came through the door I opened.  “We’ll need the chip, that’s our only evidence without…” I recognized the voice, but it was the second one that sent me into motion.

“You only have two minutes before we leave.”

“Michael,” I called and his eyes found me. At first, he stood stunned; almost confused that I was there, but then he moved.

“Celeste, are you okay? What happened to you?” He approached fast, stormed around the grand table and reached me within seconds. “Are you …okay?” He looked down to my stomach before his eyes came back to me.

“Yes. I woke up and you all were gone. I found footprints. When I followed them out, the wall collapsed and Zs started coming, but those men...” I moved closer, afraid of exposing more than necessary. “They’re from the government. I heard them talking, about you and the president?”

He took in my confusion and looked away toward the doctor. “Hurry up, Marab.” I took this time to see everyone else had entered the room, including Violet, held on Jasper’s back.

“Violet,” I called to her, and instantly she leaped from his back and ran to me. Tiny arms wrapped around my waist like a life line, and I knew she would refuse to let go.

“I thought…I thought you were dead,” she stuttered.

“I’m okay, and so are you.” I turned away from her face and peered up into Michael’s gaze. “You’re not safe anymore.” I emphasized the danger in my voice and with one nod, Michael understood. He spun around and approached the doctor.

“We need to leave, now, with or without the information,” Michael declared.,

“I…this isn’t right,” Dr. Marab stuttered, drew everyone’s attention to the screen.

“What the hell is that?” Jasper spoke, his attention on the diagram displayed. It was the same image I discovered. He looked at me after his eyes took in the smiling face of his former girlfriend. “Karen had this all planned before the war. She knew about the virus, she knew about all of this?” Suddenly, murderous eyes went to the doctor. “You fucking knew about this...,”and Jasper moved so quickly. Within seconds, he reached Dr. Marab and flipped him down on the tabletop. His right hand sought out his neck and squeezed. “You killed her, you fucking killed everyone by spreading this shit,” and he cried.

Michael sprang into action, Sage and Miriam followed closely. While three fighters pulled at his arms, Jasper kept his hand in place, death on his mind.      

“Jasper let him go. Think about this man. He’s the only one who knows how to get in touch with the UN. He’s the only one who knows how to spread the word. If everything is true, especially about a cure, we need him.” Michael spoke, but to no avail. Dr. Marab no longer fought, his body, now limp and blue. “Goddamn it, Jasper, we had a plan. If you kill him, you will kill her. Think about Celeste!” he said harshly and those words hit him like cold water. Jasper’s body stiffened before he pushed away. His striking hazel eyes caught me in his gaze before he cracked; a wall became his victim.

Jasper left two giant holes in the concrete wall, yet he wasn’t finished or hurt. While Sage assisted Dr. Marab with recovery, Miriam worked on the keypad and another monitor, Michael stood on guard, his eyes focused on Jasper, his trigger finger on his handgun.

Everyone was on edge, including myself. Only minutes before, armed military left this room, which meant they weren’t far away. Not to mention, the haven was swarming with the undead. We didn’t have time for this. “Michael…” I called out, but Miriam’s voice echoed over me.

“Michael!” Immediately, we all turned as she pointed to the drop down screen. “You might want to check this out. “ She pulled up a big screen image of the maps that I grabbed from the table. They were in the style of the image I was shone of the new capitol; colored marks highlighted areas, while population numbers were listed by the names of the city. “I think they are looking for him.” I looked from Miriam to Michael and back again. She typed in a code and a small community popped up. “About six months ago, our radios frequencies synced with this colony, and we heard their distress call. The next day, we found out that they heard us as well. Karen sent out Norris’ men out, but they said everything was settled.”

Miriam’s eyes went to Sage, who stood beside Dr. Marab, his gun ready to defend. “We searched over fifty colonies near the crash, any place close enough for him to run. We came up with empty.” 

“What the hell is going on? Who are you looking for?” I piped in. Miriam rejected my request, while Sage just looked at Michael; he stared at the diagram. “They used you, too. You’re the father,” I spoke, too quiet for the others to hear, but loud enough to reach him.  

“I’m not the father, Celeste.” Finally, the man spoke.

“You are. Your face was above the words.”

“I’m not the father…”he insisted, but I lost it.

“Don’t lie to me, stop!”…and he did. He stopped everything and looked at me, approached.

“Before we get ourselves killed, Celeste, that…is… not…me. That’s not me when I was younger. That’s me a couple of years ago. I was never apart of Karen sick plan. I was never thought of. Pull up the fucking photo!” His voice thundered through the room. Fingers under my chin, he directed me back toward the monitor. “My eyes are blue, he’s are brown; my hair is light, he’s are dark. That’s not me, that is the president’s son.”

“You are the president’s son,” I uttered, disbelief written across my face. Ironically, he smiled.

“I don’t matter, never had. He’s the only one people see. Henri’s the only one that people know.”

“So he’s the father?” my voice unrecognizable.

“I don’t know. Six months ago, the plane Henri was on was shot down.” Speechless, Michael didn’t move an inch; Sage stepped up with the information.  

“By who?” Jasper instantly interjected, and Michael looked guilty.

“By me. His plane was being tracked by rebel groups. News reached us quickly and the White House took action. I wasn’t called to do the job, but word gets around quickly.” Slowly, Michael’s façade morphed into something darker, dangerous. “So I left ‘Paradise,’ created a small malfunction so the pilot would have to land immediately, safely.”

“What happened?” this time Dr. Marab spoke, concern laced in his voice.

“They landed in an open field,” he moved away from me and marched straight to the monitor and pointed to the east of a red circle. ”but were quickly ambushed by a group of Zs. I fought to get to Henri in time, however when I reached him, he ran away.”

“Did he recognize you?” asked Miriam.

“Yes, looked straight at me, but he ran like I was his enemy. He ran right into the heart of a Z cluster. I fought to catch up to him, but the group was too big, more came from each direction.” I followed him to a small town, before I was hurt and had to retreat. I didn’t want to lead the Zs to him.” Up until now, Michael spoke facts; let no feelings seep through his words; however the pain was in his eyes.  The hurt raw, and yet his mind kept hope.

“That was around time we received the transmission from that colony?” Sage addressed the group. A swollen finger, covered in dried blood, pointed at the red circle. Sage looked up at Michael with expectation. “It’s not far, half a day’s drive with a good vehicle.”

Everyone stood quiet; a plan hatched through the silence and reached Michael, Miriam, Sage, and Dr. Marab. Quickly, one person picked up a map, then the other, and next thing you know everyone is looking at paperwork. I watched as they search for something, before Miriam pulled out the map she carried from Michael’s room. Everyone gathered around as they cross-referenced each other’s story “There, that’s where they went,” she voiced.

“Less than two miles from the crash site,” Jasper said with a keen eye.

“Jasper,” I whispered, scared that he would see light from this battle, and a part of me couldn’t blame him. On one hand, we were free now, we could be free; on the other, there could be a cure and I was a key player.

Bruised and battered, Jasper looked at me, questioned me. What do we do? Which plan do we choose? “We have to think about our safety,” the words slipped, but I stood up straighter, held Violet tighter, so that he understood my fear.

“But…what if we are everything people planned?”

“I know,” I whispered, but my moment was stolen.

BANG!

The entire room rocked from the explosion. Violet screamed as I immediately brought her down to the ground, while footsteps scattered around us. Walls shook, and monitors fell from their axes. Another explosion sound above us and cement rained from the ceiling.

“Celeste? We have to leave now.” Dr. Marab was the first to reach me and his intentions were direct. He pulled me back to my feet in the midst of  smoke and debris. “There are no barriers now. They’ll come and kill us all.” Evenly, he spoke; his grip around my arm signaled the importance behind his words.

“I’m not leaving without them,” I spoke and ran to Jasper. Quickly, everyone recovered. Sage and Miriam ran towards the third door, one that no one used today. Jasper checked his weapon, and then sent me a nod.

“As much as I would like to be free, everything’s different now. There’s a way out for us both, a way to reverse this. I can’t risk it in.”

“Okay,” I nodded, understood the plan and accepted. “Okay.”

Once more, Violet was thrown onto Jasper’s back as the first screamed echoed through the collapsed door. Within seconds, Zs would come. I followed Jasper.

 “…you said the UN wants something valuable then protect her. What’s inside her is worth more than any of us. Get her the fuck out of here, now!” I heard the command before I passed the person. Michael had stopped Dr. Marab at the short staircase which led toward our only way out. He had a death grip on the man’s destroyed lab coat as he towered over him.

“No!” I screamed and ripped his fist away from the doctor.  “Come with us…Michael, you have to. We found your brother. He’s the one you’ve been searching for this whole time.” Suddenly, I was gripped up by Dr. Marab and urged to climb the stairs.  “Let go of me, you bastard.”

“Go,” Michael stressed as the stench of death spread across the room. There was no time for this. The Zs were here. He was out of his mind.

 “No!” I clawed out and grabbed his vest.

“Doc…” he cursed. “Go where we discussed. Everything is ready. As soon as you get her in, take off down the hill and go where the map showed!”

Marab pulled harder, but I put up a fight. I managed to slap the guy and stun him. It was enough time for me to slip of his grasp and ran to Michael. However, I saw the first one.

Right at the threshold, a slender body emerged from the dark hall, dark ooze smeared over his rotten flesh, as piercing yellow eyes found us. My response was automatic. My hand reached up and fingers curled around Michael’s handgun. I drew it from his belt, and instantly unclicked the safety. One second aim, and the fucker was dead, but there was only a moment’s relief.

“You’ll die if I leave you,” I spoke to Michael. My eyes pleaded for him to reason.

Those ice blue eyes, which made me melt in ways and freeze me in others, now held nothing but worry. “I can’t, they’ll follow and stop us before you guys will have a chance,” he said and I knew the Zs weren’t who he spoke of.

“They won’t find us, I’m good at hiding, remember?” I tried at a joke, but Michael didn’t take the bait.

“I can save you both. I can save everyone if I stay behind and stop them from tracking you.”

I exploded. “You are not superman, you’re human!” I remembered their words and shuttered. “They’ll kill you and if not, they’ll leave you to become a Z. We can find Henri…we can find him and the UN will help us all, together… please,” I begged, but he never budged.

“Fucking, doctor, take her!” He yelled over me, and before I lashed out, there was a prick at my neck; it pushed all my thoughts of battle away. I looked at my offender and those blue eyes softened. “I’m sorry, Celeste, for everything. It’s my fault that I didn’t listen to you in the woods months ago or stole you away when we first arrived, but you’ll be safe now.” With that, gentle lips came down on my forehead before my eyes lids grew heavy.  Strong arms whisked me up, and the smell of Michael became imprinted in my mind as he passed me over. I tried to say no, shook my head in objection, but everything became harder.  “I’ll cover you both, until you pass through the door. Then run.”

“Of course, thank you,” Dr. Marab spoke, his gripped tightened around limp arms and legs.

“Save her and then you’ll have my gratitude,” was Michael’s last words, before a round of gunshots brought us into motion.

Feet moved quickly underneath me, as I swayed in the arms of Dr. Marab. Even though he looked less in shape, he kept a firm grip on me as we passed many doors and through dark hallways. With each step, the doctor took precise and cautious decisions, decided to take back door hallways rather than the easy accessible route. As my body raced along the secret passageways of the cove, the darkness ate at my mental walls and the light began to extinguish.

***

“Stop the car…please…stop the car!”

I heard the yell, even from the back seat of the Caravan that Dr. Marab piled me into. Waiting, Sage and Miriam had the gas running, with violet crotched on the floor of the passenger seat; there was no Jasper.  

“Pop the trunk…do it now!” The voice was closer; desperation carried the words faster than the mountain’s wind.

Commotion filled the car. Frantically, Dr. Marab repeated the call, as Miriam urged Sage to keep driving. The man cursed and shouted back, before he put his foot on the brakes. The car screamed in protest as it skidded on frozen leaves. Suddenly, the latch was pulled and the door hissed open.

Shots rained out the window from two different devices, but the needle had left me paralyzed. An immense weight brought the car down. “Go, go, go…” With him only a few feet behind me, I knew it anywhere, Jasper.  “Faster!” he yelled through harsh breaths. “He set off bombs, floor it!” And silence fell over the car like a thick blanket. He...Michael.

 

“Oh…my…god, drive!” Miriam screamed before windows exploded and a great force sent the van projecting. This time when my body flew, there wasn’t a seat to catch me, but the roof. The vehicle flew through the scenery, followed by trees, wood, even the cabin that masked Haven’s Cove. Michael’s bomb didn’t just stop one threat; it brought down the whole mountain side. 

End Notes:

Awww....I'm done; well not really. 

Congrats, you've just completed the first book in this series. With so much left unsaid, unanswered, and unfulfilled, of course the sequel will be bigger and better with hotter, steamier, gorier characters.

Thank you for reading, and can't wait to hear from you!

This story archived at https://www.valentchamber.com/viewstory.php?sid=2749