Unstuck* by carolinaheart
RetiredSummary:

Formerly Fate and Coincidence (and by formerly I mean completely rewritten, my NaNoWriMo project)

A year abroad did nothing to help Cassandra Mitchell heal from the earth-shattering death of her on-again-off-again boyfriend. She did not think coming home to the familiarity of the Big City would do her much good either. But an encounter with Luke, be it a coincidence or destined by fate, on the flight home has her making more strides toward healing than any trip around the world ever could have. With the help of a new friend, Cassie finds herself again and perhaps something more.

Luke is a lawyer who spends too much time in the office; he's on the precipice of a big promotion. In every other way, Luke is a fairly laid-back person with a tendency to go with the flow. Running into Cassie presents an opportunity for Luke to get out of the office and experience life. However, his easy going demeanor may get him less than what he wants.

* Title subject to change


Categories: Original Fiction Characters: None
Classification: None
Genre: Friendship, Romance
Story Status: Muse went on vacation, no idea when it will be back
Pairings: None
Warnings: Homosexuality, Original Characters, Un-betaed , Work in Progress
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 31 Completed: No Word count: 69481 Read: 141930 Published: November 20 2013 Updated: August 14 2022

1. Chapter 1 by carolinaheart

2. Chapter 2 by carolinaheart

3. Chapter 3 by carolinaheart

4. Chapter 4 by carolinaheart

5. Chapter 5 by carolinaheart

6. Chapter 6 by carolinaheart

7. Chapter 7 by carolinaheart

8. Chapter 8.0 by carolinaheart

9. Chapter 9 by carolinaheart

10. Chapter 10 by carolinaheart

11. Chapter 11 by carolinaheart

12. Chapter 12 by carolinaheart

13. Chapter 13 by carolinaheart

14. Chapter 14 by carolinaheart

15. Chapter 15 by carolinaheart

16. Chapter 16 by carolinaheart

17. Chapter 17 by carolinaheart

18. Chapter 18 by carolinaheart

19. Chapter 19 by carolinaheart

20. Chapter 20 by carolinaheart

21. Chapter 21 by carolinaheart

22. Chapter 22 by carolinaheart

23. Chapter 23 by carolinaheart

24. Chapter 24 by carolinaheart

25. Chapter 25 by carolinaheart

26. Chapter 26 by carolinaheart

27. Chapter 27 by carolinaheart

28. Chapter 28 by carolinaheart

29. Chapter 29 by carolinaheart

30. Chapter 30 by carolinaheart

31. Chapter 31 by carolinaheart

Chapter 1 by carolinaheart
Author's Notes:

So my brother convinced me to re-visit Cassie after three years of not liking where my original story (Fate & Coincidence) was going. I decided to make this my NaNoWriMo project so it's about 85% complete on my computer. I completely rewrote the story with a few chapters having the same theme/idea. This is the result.

The first four or five chapter are somewhat the same, but after that it's completely different. 

Twelve months, that’s how long Cassandra Mitchell had been away. Traveling the world, she did not have time to stop and think about her new reality. It was not something she wanted to think about. It was easier to ignore what happened. It was easier to tune out the noise of the city that never sleeps if she was never there. Cassie, of course, made sure to check in with her closest friends and family. But working was off of the table. 

A year after Christian’s death and Cassie was finally heading home. She was not sure she was ready. Going home meant seeing old friends and seeing old places. Going home meant facing a reality without someone she loved deeply. It meant learning how to be herself again when she was not even sure she wanted to ever be that person or if she even could ever be that person again. 

As the plane departed, Cassie was lost in thought. Iceland was her last stop before going home to New York City. Iceland was a big change for her after having spent much of her time in the warmer climates of South Asia. Cassie was not sure why she chose to end her yearlong world tour in the cold country, but she was glad she did. She was able to take a number of photos of the beautiful Icelandic countryside. Cassie smiled at the thought. Photography was a hobby she picked up while traveling. 

The captain came on the loud speaker announcing they reached their cruising altitude. Cassie turned her head to the side and drifted off to sleep to the hum of the plane’s engines hoping only to wake up when the plane began to make its final descent. 

 

Luke looked over at the woman sitting in the window-seat of his row. She had said nothing since he sat down. He wondered if the woman even noticed another person occupied the row. Luke did not mind that she did not notice him. He had already had a rough week and he really was not up for making small talk. His trip to Iceland was business-related.  

Weeklong trips abroad were not new for Luke. He worked for an international law firm in their mergers and acquisitions department. As one of the few attorneys without a family, he was often called on to travel when the project called for it. 

The plane rocked slightly. They hit a bit of turbulence. The woman, Luke noticed, stirred slightly but she did not awaken. Her new position had her head now turned toward Luke.

Luke studied his fellow passenger. She looked familiar; he knew her from somewhere. Her dark hair was pulled back into a messy bun exposing her large forehead. Her eyes were almond shaped and she had the full lips that most women in California pay for but never can seem to get.  She wore no makeup. The woman was a natural beauty with seemingly flawless medium-brown skin.

The plane rocked again; however, this time the movement was more violent. The movement and ding of the fasten seatbelt sign managed to wake the woman Luke was inadvertently staring at.

Cassie jumped and opened her eyes. The plane’s sudden rocking and dips had her stomach dropping. At the same time, she noticed the man at the end of the row was studying her.

“Excuse me,” Cassie said.

Luke was startled out of his train of thought. “I’m sorry?”

“You’re staring at me.” Cassie said.

“I didn’t mean to make you uncomfortable, it’s just that you look familiar. I think I’ve seen you before.” Luke explained.

Cassie studied the man for a few seconds. His brown hair, brown eyes and thin lips did seem familiar. She racked her brain hoping to stimulate her semi-photographic memory.  

“You’re Luke Carrington. We went to school together,” Cassie said. In college, Cassie remembered him being slightly tanner and a little more frat-boy-like.

“That’s right! You’re Cassie” Luke said. “How have you been?”

“I’ve been alright.” Cassie said deciding engaging in small talk was better than focusing on the rough movements of the plane. “Yourself?”

“I can’t really complain too much,” Luke smiled. “So is New York your final stop, or do you have another plane to catch?”

“New York is my final destination.”

“Huh, must be fate.” Luke laughed.

Cassie tilted her head and wondered if he was being serious or joking. “So, Iceland? I’m guessing you were there on business.”

“How’d you guess?” Luke asked.

“The suit and tie kind of gave it away.”

“Of course it did.  I had a meeting before my flight, hence the suit and tie. Otherwise I’d be wearing jeans and a T-shirt.”

“With sunglasses around your neck?” Cassie supplied. She remembered it was one of the things he always seemed to have on hand when they were in college.

Luke laughed, “Not so much anymore. What about you? Why were you in Iceland?”

“Vacation. Iceland is a place I’ve always wanted to visit. It’s a beautiful country. I mean you know, you were just there too.”

“I actually didn’t get to see much of the scenery. I spent most of my time either in an office going over documents or in a hotel trying to get some sleep. Didn’t have too much time for sightseeing while I was there this time. Maybe next time I go I’ll have to make time to get out more.” Luke explained.  “Any suggestions on what I should do?” 

“Hmm,” Cassie thought for a moment. “You could go bird watching, whale watching or maybe scuba diving. There is this one park that is at the foot of a volcano and glacier. That was a sight to see.” Cassie suggested.

“Sounds like you had a lot of time to do a number of different things.” Luke said. “Did you go on your own, or were you with someone?” As there was no one sitting between them, Luke assumed Cassie traveled alone. He was curious, so he asked.

“I went by myself,” Cassie said. She turned away from Luke and looked out the window again. Their conversation was heading in to territory she did not want to travel through.

“Wow. I don’t know too many people who go on vacation alone. It’s usually something you only read about.” Luke commented. 

“Yeah.”

Luke could feel the mood of their conversation was shifting. Cassie had turned away from him and her body language signaled she was closing up. It was almost as if he could see her building walls right in front of him. “You must have had a lot of time to think then?” Luke said more as a question than a statement. He was hoping to get back to the more lighthearted conversation they were having before Cassie’s temperament shifted. 

Cassie turned her head back to Luke; her warm eyes had darkened slightly. “It’s not something I want to talk about.”

Before Luke could comment, another ding came over the intercom indicating it was once again safe to move around the cabin. 

Cassie stood up, “Can you let me out?”

“Sure,” Luke said.  He watched as she made her way to the front of the cabin toward the lavatory.

When Cassie returned to her seat, Luke was working on his laptop. He stood up to let her back into their row.  After she sat down, Cassie pulled the blanket from the seat pocket in front of her and curled her body away from Luke. She stared out the window as she drifted back to sleep. 

Luke put his laptop away as the crew asked the passengers to prepare for the descent into New York. With nothing else to do, he glanced over at Cassie who was still sleeping. He wondered what had caused her to close herself off during their earlier conversation.  Luke noticed Cassie stirring, so he looked ahead of him to the front of the cabin.

After the plane landed and parked at its gate, Luke stood and opened the overhead compartment. He looked over to Cassie, “Do you have anything up here I can get down for you?”

Cassie shook her head, always the southern gentleman, she thought to herself before responding. “No, I can get it myself.”

Luke nodded his head and moved back to allow Cassie to exit their row and get her things from the overhead compartment. They exited the plane, Cassie first followed by Luke. He watched, as she seemed to speed walk away from him. 

Cassie had finished up with customs and was heading out the door to the taxi stand when she heard Luke call her name. She slowed down and allowed him to catch up to her. 

“You seemed to be in a rush.” Luke said.

“It’s been a long day; all I really want to do is go home and sleep.” Cassie said.

“Of course,” Luke said. “It was good seeing you. Maybe we’ll run into each other again sometime.”

Cassie rolled her eyes. She was not really in the mood. As much as she enjoyed having someone to talk to as the plane passed through rough air, she was not looking to begin any new relationships, be it friendship or something more. “That’s doubtful. New York’s a big city.”

Luke laughed, “When did you be come such a pessimist?”

“I’m a realist.” Cassie retorted.

“Right then, realist, maybe fate has other plans.” Luke suggested.

“I don’t believe in fate. Anyway it looks like some one is waiting for you.” Cassie said pointing to a gentleman in a suit holding a sign with Luke’s first initial and last name.

Luke looked to where Cassie was pointing. “Dammit. That means I have more work to do before I head home. It really was nice seeing you again, Cassie. Be it fate, or coincidence, serendipity or luck, I’m sure I’ll see you around again sometime. Unlike you, I believe things happen for a reason. Maybe this wasn’t a random occurrence.”

Cassie shook her head, “And maybe you’re just naïve. I think you better go; your guy looks like he’s going to leave without you.”

Luke looked back to where the chauffeur was standing to see him still patiently waiting. When he turned back to say something else to Cassie, she was gone. He could see her fleeing figure entering a taxi.

 

 

Chapter 2 by carolinaheart

After her six-hour flight home, all Cassie wanted to do was sleep. She walked into her apartment. The air was stale. She noticed a box to the left of the door filled with mail. One of her neighbors was kind enough to pick it up while she was away.

Cassie reached to flip the switch for the lights. Her apartment filled with light. Considering she forgot to call ahead and notify the electric company of her return, Cassie was surprised the lights worked. She walked into her bedroom and put her bags down before making her way into the kitchen. Just for kicks, she attempted to turn on the water in the kitchen sink. As with the lights, it also worked. Cassie silently thanked whoever it was that remembered to do those two basic things for her.

Noting the stale air and overall stuffy feeling of her apartment, Cassie turned on an overhead fan to get the air moving. She looked in her refrigerator; of course, there was nothing in it.  She then went to her pantry to find the same situation; it was empty. Whoever had her electricity and water turned on was not benevolent enough to go  grocery shopping for her. She would have to order something to eat. Had she been more organized, Cassie would have stopped on her way home. But being organized would be a new trait for Cassie. At least some things about me are still the same, Cassie thought.

Cassie was tired. For much of the flight, she only pretended to sleep. After their conversation started heading in a direction she did not want it to go, Cassie decided she did not want to be bothered by Luke. 

Sitting on the couch, Cassie leaned her head back and closed her eyes. An image of Christian flashed in her mind. Nope, she thought, napping is not an option. 

During her travels, it was easy to forget about Christian and his death. There was so much to see and to experience in all of the places she visited. More importantly, none of those places were New York. They did not hold memories of dates, walks, arguments and long nights. There was nothing to remind her of the man who had changed her life so completely, and not for the better. 

The rampant knocks on the door went unnoticed, as Cassie was lost in thought. She jumped when she heard the lock click and the door open.  She did not know why, but she was half expecting Christian to walk through the door.

“Hey you!”

“What the hell, Jade?” Cassie asked. “You scared me!”

“I knocked.” Jade said simply walking into the room. She was a woman of five feet six inches with wavy dark hair that fell to her shoulders. Her light brown skin was an obvious indication of her mixed heritage. 

“And you couldn’t wait for me to get the door?”

“Did you even hear me knocking?” Jade asked.

Cassie looked away with guilt on her face, “No sorry.”

“I didn’t think you had. I was standing there for a minute banging on your door. One of your neighbors came out and stared me down.”

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry. I was just…”

“Napping?”

“No, I was just lost in thought.”

“Of course.” Jade sat down on the couch with Cassie. She put her bag on the coffee table. “How was the world?”

Cassie smiled, “The world was beautiful. I got some really great photos.”

“I saw. You only sent me no less than fifty a day.”

“I did not send that many. You are exaggerating.” Cassie said. One thing she had missed while she was away was her best friend.

“Hmm… maybe I am. Have you had anything to eat yet? I know there is nothing here. I would have stocked up the pantry and fridge, but I just didn’t have the time.”

“Were you the one who got my utilities turned on?”

“Yes, I was able to get that done over the phone. I couldn’t have you coming home to a cold dark apartment now could I? Only the best for my best friend.” Jade grinned. “Now, back to the subject of food. What do you want to eat?”

“You know what. I missed New York pizza. I can now say I’ve traveled the world and there is nothing like a large slice of greasy New York pizza.” Cassie said.

“We can do that. I’ll order and we can have it delivered.”

“We don’t have to stay in and eat.” Cassie said eagerly. While she was happy to be home, her apartment held too many memories. Even with Jade there, the place still felt empty. She stood up and grabbed her purse. “We can eat out.”

“Really?” Jade asked. “I thought you’d be too tired to move.”

“I am tired, I just don’t want to be here right now.” Cassie said waving her hand in a circular motion, indicating her apartment.

“Alrighty then. Let’s go out and you can tell me about your adventures abroad.” Jade said.

The two women walked out the door. When they got downstairs and out of the building, they hailed a cab. There was a decent pizza place not too far from where Cassie lived. During the drive to the restaurant, Jade filled in Cassie about the goings on of their industry. 

Before Cassie took off touring the world, she was a songwriter. Her name was not famous, but her songs were. Jade, her confidant and best friend, was one of the artists who benefitted most from Cassie’s immense talent. Many of her number one hits came from the mind of Cassandra Mitchell. 

“I don’t know if you heard, but my last album won the Grammy for Album of the Year thanks to you.” Jade said.

Cassie smiled. She was happy for her friend; they put a lot of work into making sure the album was the best it could be. “That’s good to hear. I tried to stay away from everything while I was away.”

“I know. Did you notice anything different in your apartment?” Jade asked.

“Other than the stale air and dust? No.”

“You are so unobservant.”

“Hey, I just got off of a six-hour flight on which I did not sleep.” Cassie said defending herself.

Jade shook her head. “Your song, your baby—the one you wrote before Christian died—won song of the year. We released it as a third single off of the album late in the year. I left the award on the piano for you.” 

Cassie was surprised. Over the years she had written numerous hit songs, but nothing was ever good enough to be considered the song of the year. “Wow, I didn’t know. No one told me.”

“I would have told you, but you insisted I stop talking whenever I tried to bring up something involving the industry. I accepted the award on your behalf.”

“Thank you.” Cassie said. She was sincere in her gratitude and she tried to convey that with the look she was giving Jade. 

The taxi stopped in front of a small restaurant. Cassie and Jade exited the vehicle after paying their driver. They walked into the building and ordered their food. After taking their number and finding a booth, they resumed their conversation.

“So the flight home, not so good?” Jade asked referring to Cassie’s admission that she hadn’t been able to sleep on the plane.

“I slept some right after we reached our cruising altitude, but we hit some turbulence on the way back. After that, I couldn’t really get back to sleep.”

“Did you at least have someone interesting sitting next to you? Preferably a single male for you to interact with ?” Jade asked.

Cassie rolled her eyes at the singer’s last statement. “Somewhat interesting. Coincidentally, I was seated with a guy I went to college with. We graduated the same year and we were in the same program.”

Jade’s eyes lit up at the new development, “Really? Are you attracted to him?”

“Jade.” Cassie said annoyed.

“Cassie, I need details. On a scale of one to ten, how attractive was he? Did you talk? I’m guessing you had to if you realized you went to school together. What did you talk about? And does he live in New York?”

Overwhelmed by all of the questions her friend just asked, Cassie shook her head. “I didn’t really assess his hotness,” Cassie laughed. Lies you tell yourself, Cassie thought. “Yes we talked and yes he lives in New York.”

Before Jade could ask another question their order arrived. The server placed the large pizza between the two women and took the number before walking away.

“So, what did you talk about?” Jade asked as she placed a slice of pizza on her plate.

“It wasn’t a long conversation. Really it was, ‘hey I know you,’ and ‘I was in Iceland for business,’ ‘I was there on vacation,’ ‘hmm what should I do the next time I’m there.’”

“That’s all? You sat next to this man for six hours and all you discussed was whether you were visiting Iceland for business or pleasure?” Jade asked.

Cassie nodded her head. Her mouth was full, so she could not properly respond. After swallowing her pizza, Cassie spoke up. “The conversation started to get personal.”

Jade rolled her eyes, “In what way?”

“It was only a matter of time before he wanted to know more about why I was traveling alone, and I really did not want to answer that question.” Cassie said.

Jade took a moment to stare at her friend. She had hoped Cassie’s trip abroad would help get her back to being the women she knew Cassie was. But it looked like the year-long vacation only delayed the healing process. Jade was very disappointed. “It’s been over a year.”

“I know.”

“You can’t stay in this funk forever.”

“I’m not in a funk, Jade. I’m just cautious. I’m protecting myself. I don’t want to be hurt or blindsided again; that is all.”

“You’re going to have to open up at some point Cassie. You need to be able to let people in again.” Jade said.

“Maybe, someday. But that day is not today, or anytime soon for that matter.” Cassie said before finishing her slice of pizza. “Can we talk about something else? What have you been up to while I’ve been away?”

“I’ve done a lot actually. We are in the process of planning my tour for next year. In addition to that, I’m working with Sean Adams right now.”

“Are you doing a collaboration in the studio?” Cassie asked. While she was gone, she did not want any news concerning the music business. To be honest, she still did not care to hear too much about it. But since Jade was her best friend, and as an attempt to shift the conversation away from herself, Cassie wanted to hear more about Jade’s work.

“No, not yet. I ran into him at a fundraiser and we got to talking. Both of us were really influenced by music at a young age, many musicians are. But it seems like a lot of school programs are getting cut. We both think it’s a good idea to try and set up some sort of organization that supplements the school programs.” Jade explained.

“That’s actually a really good idea. As much as I hated going to lessons as a kid, I grew to appreciate it.” Cassie said. “It helped focus me and gave me some kind of discipline.”

“I’m glad you agree. I could really use your help on this. And before you say no just hear me out.” Jade said. “You need something to do.”

“I never said that.”

“I’m your best friend I can tell. You’re not in a place where you’re ready to write again. As much as I hate to admit it—and I know you’re in denial too—this past year has done nothing to help you get over Christian’s death.”

Cassie sat quietly knowing what her friend said was true.

“You love music.” Jade continued. “And you’re intelligent, and before your songwriting took off you worked in the nonprofit world. I need you on the board Cassie.”

“Can I think about it?” Cassie asked.

“What’s there to think about? You’ll say yes.” Jade said confidently. 

Cassie knew Jade was right. She would eventually say yes.

Chapter 3 by carolinaheart

It was 6:15 and Luke was running late, per usual. He had after work plans, however, he needed to work an extra hour after being in Iceland for the week. Even though his trip was business related, Luke still had other work responsibilities that could only be handled in the office. He was putting the final touches on his Associate Review. Each junior partner took on a new junior associate every three years. The goal was to help guide them in their careers. The program also allowed junior partners to have someone to whom they could dole out a few of their pro-bono cases. Luke’s junior associate was Carmen Medina. She had been with him the past two and a half years and he was not looking forward to having to groom someone else in the next six months. Carmen was a hard worker, she was smart and could think quickly on her feet. She and Luke also shared an important characteristic that would later allow her to succeed in her endeavors; she was just as much a workaholic as Luke.

Carmen was still in the office as well. She saw his light on and decided to knock on his door. “Don’t you have plans for the evening?”

Luke looked up from his computer, “I could ask you the same thing. Are you or are you not supposed to be heading out for a date with Dara’s cousin?”

Carmen shrugged her shoulders. “If she looks anything like Dara, then I think I’ll pass.” Carmen came in and sat down in the chair across from her mentor. She pulled her dark wavy hair into a ponytail. 

Luke stared Carmen down.

“That was a joke, by the way. Dara’s cousin called and canceled. Something came up. Why are you still here? Is there anything I can help you with?”

“Just finishing up your review for this quarter, so no, there’s nothing you can help with. You should go home, or better yet go out. It’s a Friday night you’re young and single.”

“I’ve never been one to go out and I’ll head home when you do.”

“Are you trying to score extra points on your review?” Luke asked.

Carmen smiled, “No. I just don’t like to head out by myself. Normally Sophie is around here late too, but she had plans so…”

Luke smirked, “Sophie… anything going on there?” In addition to being his protege, he also thought of  Carmen like a sister. When she came to New York and took the job, it was the first time she had been in the city. She grew up in a small Texas town near the Mexican border. The first time she lived outside of the state was when she moved to Massachusetts to attend Harvard.  

“No, definitely nothing going on there. Besides she doesn’t even notice me that way. We’re friends. And even if there was something, that’s kind of typical right, lawyer and paralegal. It’s just so cliche; I don’t want to be a cliche.”

“Says the Mexican-American, Harvard educated lesbian. Trust me Carmen when I say there is nothing ‘typical’ or ‘cliche’ about you.” Luke said.

Carmen rolled her eyes. 

“So you have no plans, how do you feel about getting a home-cooked meal by an award winning chef?” Luke asked shutting down his computer.

“You have plans with Alex and Dani?” Carmen asked. A year after she joined the firm, Luke introduced Carmen to his two best friends. 

“Yes, I’m getting ready to head out now.” Luke said  stowing his laptop in his computer bag.

“Sounds like fun.”

Luke locked his office before he and Carmen left for Alex and Dani’s apartment.

About thirty minutes later, the two lawyers stood outside the door. Shortly after Luke knocked, the door swung open.

“You’re late.” Dani said. She raised one of her dark eyebrows.

“I’m sorry. I got caught up at work.” Luke explained.

“You always get caught up at work.” Dani said. “It would be nice, you know if you called and informed us of your late arrival.” Noticing Carmen, Dani turned her focus to the younger woman. “Carmen it’s nice to see you again.”

“Thanks.” Carmen said. 

“Are you going to let us in?” Luke asked.

“Yeah, yeah. Come on in you two.” Dani said. “Luke put Carmen’s jacket up. I’m going to see how Alex is coming along with the food.”

Luke took Carmen’s jacket and hung it in the coat closet. While he did that, Carmen looked around the apartment. When she met the couple before, it was at Alex’s restaurant. This was her first time visiting Alex and Dani’s place. She stopped when she came across a photo sitting on the sofa table. It was one of Dani and Alex from, what Carmen guessed, was a couple years ago. Dani’s dark wavy hair fell loosely around her shoulders framing her pale face. Her head was on Alex’s shoulder. Alex had his arm wrapped around Dani’s waist. Both were smiling. 

Noticing Carmen standing still and seemingly lost in thought, Luke walked up beside her. “Penny for your thoughts?”

Carmen laughed, “My thoughts are worth more than that Counselor.” 

Dani came back into the room with glasses of water. She handed one to each of her guests. “Alex said dinner will be ready in a few. Have a seat somewhere.”

“Any idea what we’re having?” Luke asked as he sat in a plush armchair.

“It’s a new recipe he’s trying for the restaurant. I know he’s cooking some type of lamb dish. But you know how he is when he gets in the zone. He answers questions with grunts. I usually try to stay out of the kitchen.” Dani said.

“That’s not how it goes,” Luke said. “You are restricted from the kitchen when Alex is cooking.” Luke laughed.

“Which is why I try to stay out of it. He never seems to want my help.” Dani mock pouted.

Carmen laughed at the grown woman sitting across from her. “Where’s your son?” Carmen asked. Luke recently showed her a picture of his friend’s one-year-old son. 

“He’s down for the night.” Dani said. “Had someone arrived on time, you might have had a chance to see him before I put him to bed.”

“I’ve already apologized for being late.” Luke said. “How many times do I have to say I’m sorry.”

“You act like he’s never late for anything.” Alex said walking into the room.

“That’s my point, babe. He’s late for everything.” Dani said.

“That’s weird. He’s always meticulously early for anything dealing with work.” Carmen supplied. 

“Don’t give away my secrets, Carmen. You know next time, I’m not inviting you.”

“Don’t worry about him, Carmen. If you promise to be on time, we’ll have you over more often, and without your boss to boot.” Dani said.

“Thanks Dani.” Carmen appreciated her mentor and his friends. Despite the fact that they worked together, and that he was her superior, somehow Luke had become family.

“And now you’re turning on me too? I’m hurt!” Luke said feigning disgust.

Carmen, Dani and Alex laughed at his lackluster performance. 

“I need to go get the food. Everything is pretty much done, so you all can have a seat at the table.” Alex said.

Dani, Carmen and Luke sat down at the table and waited for the food. When everything was laid out on the table, Alex sat down.

“Luke, did Dani tell you about her new job offer?” Alex said as they began to eat.

“It’s not exactly a job offer, it’s more like an invitation.” Dani said.

“No, she did not. What’s going on Dani? I thought you enjoyed working for the Clinton Foundation.” Luke said.

Dani worked as a Development Officer at the Clinton Foundation. She was responsible for helping with the annual giving campaign. “I love working at the Clinton Foundation. I get to help determine the strategy of giving the foundation takes when it comes to education. The invitation Alex mentioned came out of the blue. I wasn’t looking for a job.”

“That’s sounds exciting, though. Having someone randomly contact you for a job.” Carmen said.

“So, what’s the invitation then.” Luke asked.

“Somehow, Jade—the singer—got my name. She called and asked if I’d like to help her develop a project. She and another recording artist are building a philanthropic foundation and she wants my input. “ Dani explained.

“Wow, that’s a great opportunity.” Carmen said.

“I know. The only thing is, I think it’s going to end up taking a lot of my time. I’m not going to quit my job in order to do it though.”

“So you are going to do it?” Luke asked.

“I think so. Alex and I have talked about it.” Dani said looking at her husband.

“You should do it Dani. Jade hasn’t asked you to work full-time on the project and you’ve been saying you want to do something like this for the past couple of years now.” Alex encouraged.

“If my opinion counts for anything, I think you should do it.” Carmen said. Luke nodded his head in agreement. 

The dinner conversation shifted from work-related opportunities to something more casual. They discussed everything from what was on each person’s “to-read list” to college sports. After dinner, they moved from the dining room back to the living room where they sat and started up a new conversation.

“You haven’t told us how Iceland went.” Alex said to Luke.

“Iceland was fine. I really didn’t get to see much of it though, work.” Luke said.

“Do you get to travel at all?” Dani asked Carmen.

“Not really. I’ve had to drive to New Jersey before,” Carmen said sending Luke a pointed look, “but never to anywhere overseas.”

“I see.” Dani said. “So overall your trip was uneventful?” 

“For the most part. The flight home was somewhat interesting. It’s strange how life works and the way it can throw you a curveball.” Luke said.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Dani asked.

“Well, the person I shared a row with on the flight back was Cassie Mitchell. You remember her from college, right Dani?” Luke said.

“Vaguely. The three of us had a class together, right.” Dani said racking her brain trying to remember the person Luke mentioned.

“Yes. Come on Dani you have to remember her. The three of us plotted to make sure our row was safe from the old guy who smoked.”

“The ‘old guy who smoked?’” Carmen asked. “I’m assuming there’s a story there.”

“With those two, there is always a story.” Alex supplied. 

Dani continued to look lost. While she remembered the fact that they shared a class, a face was not popping up in her memory to go with the name.

“Dani, it was a crisis communication class. The three of us sat at one table and there was always an extra chair…” Luke said trying to jog Dani’s memory.

“And for some reason that guy, what was his name?” Dani said beginning to remember the specific instance to which Luke was referring.

“Frank, his name was Frank.” Luke said.

“Yeah, Frank felt the need to sit with us all the time.”

Alex looked at his wife and her best friend. Knowing how the two of them operated together, he could only guess how the rest of the story played out with a third accomplice. “What did you do?” He asked.

Luke smiled. “I didn’t do anything; it was all Cassie. The three of us got tired of having him sit near us, so Cassie arrived early enough to switch the seats around.”

“She made sure there was never enough room for him to seat at our part of the table. In fact, he would have to sit on the other side of the room.” Dani laughed.

“You guys sound like you were nefarious.” Carmen said.

“We weren’t that bad.” Dani said. “What is she doing nowadays?” 

“I’m not sure exactly. We didn’t talk that much. She told me about her vacation in Iceland and then kind of clammed up.”

“What do you mean she clammed up?” Dani asked.

“She didn’t want to talk anymore. Her mood changed quickly. It was weird.” Luke said.

“Are you going to see her again?” Carmen asked.

“I don’t know. I didn’t get her contact information or anything. So we’ll see what happens.”

 

“Ha,” Dani said. “You, your go with the flow, what happens happens attitude usually lands you in a bad situation.” Dani said.  

Chapter 4 by carolinaheart

The days after her homecoming, Cassie attempted to reorganize her apartment. Since returning, the place no longer felt like home. It held memories she did not want to revisit. So, Cassie determined a change was in order. However, after two days of moving things around, she still was not satisfied and she needed to take a break. 

Cassie sat on the bench in front of her upright piano. She stared at the keys. From a young age, Cassie was immersed in music; she couldn’t get enough of it. Her parents, recognizing her love, started her in music lessons at the age of three. She hated the rigidness of going to lessons and practicing but loved being able to play new songs. Music, for Cassie, had a way of getting into her soul it helped her work away her problems. There was music for every occasion. When she was happy, there was Scott Joplin’s “The Entertainer.” When she was sad, she could play the “Moonlight Sonata.” And when there was not a song that could properly express what she was feeling, Cassie wrote something new. Music was her therapy. And when needed, it was also a great distraction from reality.

Gingerly, Cassie placed the fingers of her right hand on the keys. She pressed down on Middle C. The note rang throughout her apartment. Cassie played another note before bringing her left hand up to join the right on the piano. She found herself beginning to play a familiar tune, “Fur Elise,” one of her favorites. Muscle memory took over as her pinky and fourth finger alternated playing E and E flat. It amazed Cassie that after a year away from her beloved piano, her body still knew exactly what to do. 

Cassie found herself getting lost in the music, a regular occurrence when she played for herself. She easily finished the song and transitioned into another. When she played, Cassie focused only on the sound coming from the piano. Nothing else entered her mind. Sitting at the piano was the only place where Cassie could completely let go of everything that seemed to bother her.

The shrill ring of her house phone jolted Cassie out of her trance. She abruptly stopped playing and listened as the phone rang once more. Cassie assumed it was Jade calling; she was one of the few people that actually had and used that number. Cassie also still had not made a decision about whether or not she would help Jade on her new project which would be a valid reason for Jade to call.  She needed something to do, Cassie agreed with Jade on that fact. And Jade was willing to pay her. The singer had already managed to raise some money for the initial start-up, most of which Cassie assumed was seed funding from Jade herself. 

Cassie waited quietly, thinking, in front of the piano, her hands still resting where they were when she stopped playing. After the fourth ring, the machine picked up.

“Hi Ms. Mitchell, this is Detective David Parker.  I was working on Christian Norris’ case. I’m calling because something has turned up and we are considering reopening the case. I would like to talk to you to see if you remember anything else that can help us find Christian’s killer. I know this is probably difficult, but anything you have might help. Please give me a call so we can set something up. Have a good day.”

Detective Parker’s call was not what Cassie was expecting. Without a second thought, she got up from the piano, grabbed her purse and jacket, and left her apartment. She needed space. 

Cassie walked vigorously down the street with no destination in mind. She just knew that staying in her apartment was not an option. The moment the detective reintroduced himself over the answering machine, Cassie’s apartment felt stuffy, too small and absolutely too big and lonely at the same time. The emotions she tried her best to ignore over the past year and a half were crushing her. She needed to get out. Cassie began to slow down. When she stopped, she felt her heart pounding. She then heard her stomach growl in protest. It was around one o’clock and Cassie had not eaten anything since the day began. She was hungry. Looking up, she noticed she was standing in front of one of her favorite delis. She decided to go in and order food. 

Luke needed a quick bite to eat, he had an earlier meeting with a client that went way over schedule. He stopped at a deli that was on his way back to the office. On his way out of the restaurant, he noticed a familiar figure sitting at one of the back tables by herself. He walked over to join her.

Cassie was absorbed in the newspaper that was left at the table where she was sitting. The articles were not that interesting, but she needed to look like she was doing something. Cassie had never been comfortable eating out alone. People watching was not something that particularly tickled her fancy. In her rush to leave her apartment, she did not think to pick up her Kindle on the way out. Cassie heard the scraping sound of a chair, and noticed someone had put a sandwich on her table. 

“There are a number of other open tables available; I suggest you go find one of your own rather than sitting down with someone who doesn’t want the company.” Cassie said without looking up. While she was not too fond of sitting by herself, she also did not want the company of a random stranger.

“I know, but you looked lonely.” Luke said sitting down.

Cassie’s head shot up at the familiar voice. She glared at him. 

Luke ignored her look and fingered her newspaper instead. “I didn’t know people still read these.” He joked.

Cassie rolled her eyes. “It was here when I sat down.”

“Of course it was. How are you?” Luke asked as he unwrapped his sandwich.

Cassie realized that he was not planning on going away.  “I’m fine. I was really great until someone decided to interrupt my lunch.”

“I don’t believe that.” Luke said.

“You don’t believe what?”

“I don’t believe that you are fine or that you were ‘really great’ until I sat down.” Luke said.

“Any reason you think I’m lying?” Cassie asked. She was slightly offended.

“Like I said earlier, you looked lonely. You look like you could use a friend.”

“And you decided that you would be that ‘friend?’” Cassie asked. His decision annoyed her.

“No, I think maybe fate decided that.” Luke said.

Cassie smirked in disbelief. “So the thing about fate at the airport wasn’t a joke? You actually believe in it?”

“And you really don’t?” Luke asked.

Cassie shrugged her shoulders. “It’s a small world.”

“And yet, at the airport you said New York was a big city.” Luke said throwing her words back at her. “I don’t think it’s just a coincidence that we’ve run into each other twice now.”

“You could be stalking me.” Cassie suggested. “That would make it ‘not a coincidence.’”

“I’m not stalking you.”

“Then happenstance it is.” Cassie retorted.

Luke did not respond. Instead he quietly ate his meal. Cassie appreciated his silence as she went back to reading the newspaper. 

“Do you remember that class we had together?” Luke asked. He was only halfway through his sandwich.

“Which one? We shared a few of them.”

“Professor Bradley’s class.”

Cassie laughed at the memory. “The one where you insisted we all stand if we wanted to talk?”

“I only did that once, but yes that’s the one.” Luke said.

“What about it?” Cassie asked. 

“Nothing, I was just talking to Dani—you remember Dani right?” Cassie nodded her head in affirmation. “Yeah, well I was just talking to Dani about it the other night and the time you made sure Frank didn’t sit with us anymore.”

Cassie laughed at the memory, “I forgot about that. You two convinced me that he needed to go.”

“You wouldn’t have done it if you didn’t think so too.” Luke accused. 

“You’re right.” Cassie smiled.

“I know.” Luke said.

The two sat in silence for a while longer. When Luke finished eating, he began to move. Cassie watched as he started to stand and then stopped. She raised a questioning eyebrow.

“Why are you here?” Luke asked. He knew it seemed like a random question, but it was one he wanted to ask since he sat down. When he arrived at Cassie’s table, he noticed she had already finished her meal and the ice in her cup was almost completely melted. Luke could tell she was sitting there for some time before he joined her.

“Excuse me?” Cassie asked putting the paper down on the table.

“I don’t mean to offend you, but I was curious. It’s the middle of the day and you’re sitting in a deli by yourself reading a newspaper from yesterday.” Luke noted.

Cassie did not realize that the paper was from the previous day. “I needed to get away. I needed some time away from my apartment.”

“Seems to me,” Luke said, “that after a vacation one would like to sleep in their own bed. Be in a familiar setting.”

“I just needed to get out, that’s all.” Cassie said quietly.

“Any particular reason?” Luke pushed.

“Don’t you think it’s time you got back to work?” Cassie asked instead of answering the question.

“Cassie,” Luke said.

“Really, I think it’s time for you to go.” Cassie snapped. She stood up and gathered her trash.

“Why are you pushing me away?” Luke asked.

“Maybe because I don’t know you. Or maybe because I don’t want to talk about it. I don’t want to relive it. It hurts too much.” Cassie said. Her eyes widened when she realized all she had revealed. She began to walk away, but Luke stopped her with a hand around her upper arm.

“Cassie,” Luke tried.

“I don’t want to talk about it.” Cassie said again. This time she was pleading; her eyes begging Luke to just let her go. “I don’t want to talk about the fact that a year and a half ago my boyfriend died. I don’t want to discuss the fact that the last things I said to him were said in anger. I can’t go back there.” Cassie pulled herself out of Luke’s grip and walked away.

Luke watched Cassie leave. He was not expecting that answer, but it explained a lot. It explained why Cassie was so guarded. He wondered if there was anything he could do to help her. Deciding that he had spent enough time out of the office for the day, Luke threw away the remains of his lunch and headed out the door and back to work.

 

 

Chapter 5 by carolinaheart

After lunch with Luke, Cassie found herself  wandering the streets of New York again. She walked down the sidewalk thinking about the things that happened earlier in the day. The call from the detective really shook her up. And running into Luke did not help matters. She did not know why Luke pushed her. She did not know why it bothered her. She just knew it did.  

Cassie stopped and hailed a cab. She gave the driver the address to her best friend’s building. Once she arrived, Cassie exited the taxi and paid the driver. She stood for a moment out side looking up at the building before she went into the familiar lobby. Cassie waved to the doorman. In the year since she left, the doorman had not changed. He recognized Cassie and greeted her as she walked past him. She rode the elevator up to Jade’s floor. She briefly hesitated before banging on the door until it finally opened.

“What the hell?!” Jade asked pulling the door all the way open.

Cassie ignored Jade’s exclamation and walked past the singer through the open door. She placed her bag on Jade’s sofa before sitting on the floor cross-legged with her back against the furniture. She threw her head back onto the cushions of the couch.

Through the whole ordeal, Jade watched her friend from the door. She was concerned about Cassie. Rarely did the other woman show so much emotion when she was upset, but a lot had changed in the last couple of years. Her outgoing happy-go-lucky best friend seemed to have crawled into hibernation only to emerge a completely different person. 

“Cassie, what’s going on? Tell me what’s wrong” Jade asked sitting on the coffee table directly across from her friend.

“Everything. Nothing. Christian.” Cassie said.

“Sweetie, you’re confusing me.” Jade said. 

“Why now? Why is this happening now?” 

“Cassie, you are making no sense. I need a complete train of thought from you if I’m going to help.” Jade said.

Cassie looked up. “It just seems like everything is happening today. Why can’t everyone just leave me alone?”

“And by everyone you mean?”

“I ran into Luke.”

“Okay…” Jade said.

“We had lunch and talked about college.”

“And that bothered you?” Jade asked. Cassie had yet to voice what was going on in her head.

“Yes. No. Maybe. I’m not really sure.”

Her immediate concern waining, Jade tried to suppress the fact that she needed to laugh. She had not seen Cassie as confused and upset as she was in this moment in a very long time. It was amusing. 

“Why don’t you try from the beginning.” Jade suggested.

“I don’t want to start at the beginning. Starting at the beginning would mean telling you about the phone call I received before I left home.” Cassie sighed. A lot had happened in only a few hours and it was hard for her to process. 

Jade sobered up sensing that the conversation was not going to be as light as she thought. “What phone call?”

“I said that out loud didn’t I?” Cassie asked. She had not meant to voice that thought.

“Yeah, you did.”

“Detective Parker called.” 

“What did he want?” Jade asked. She had a hunch where things were going, but she was not completely sure if it would be a good thing or a bad thing for her still recovering friend. 

“He thinks they may have found something to help solve Christian’s murder. He wants me to come in to talk.” Cassie said. “I don’t want to talk. They know everything. I told them everything!” Cassie threw her arms in the air. 

“Did you tell him that?”

“I didn’t answer the phone. I just let the machine pick it up. I heard him as he left a message.” Cassie explained.

“My god you are so passive aggressive." Jade said. “He’s not going to leave you alone you know. You need to call him back, or else he’ll keep calling. I think once they figure everything out, you know, what happened that day and who killed Christian, you’ll  feel a lot better. You’ll have some closure.”

Cassie tilted her head, “in all honesty, I don’t know if I’m ready for that.”

“I think you are.  I think you’re ready to move on, you just don’t want to admit that to yourself for some reason.” 

Cassie rolled her eyes. “I guess we disagree on that point.” 

Jade just laughed. “Okay then, what happened with Luke.”

“He kept going on about fate and then he wouldn’t stop asking questions. ‘Why are you lonely,’ ‘Why don’t you want to talk about it?’ ‘Why are you pushing me away?’ Why is he so goddamn nosey?!”

“He asked you all of those things?”

“Yes, and that’s when I got upset. I told him about Christian, and then I left.” Cassie explained. “Why did I do that? Why did I tell him about Christian?” 

“You’re unsure how you feel about Luke and his sudden presence in your life.’

Cassie looked up at Jade as if to say, ‘that’s what you’re going to go with?’

Jade ignored Cassie’s look and continued with her theory. “If you truly weren’t ready to move on, you would be less confused.”

“No, nope. “Cassie shook her head. “I don’t agree with that. I reject your theory.” Cassie said.

“Obviously we’re getting nowhere with the current path we’re on.  Let’s discuss something else then. Have you made a decision regarding the foundation?” 

“Jade.” Cassie whined.

“You wanted to change the subject.”

“I haven’t really thought about it. I’ve been getting used to being back. I spent most of the weekend changing up my apartment.” Cassie explained.

“Doing what?” Jade asked in disbelief.

“I didn’t like the way everything felt, so I changed it.”

“By yourself?”

“Yes, by myself. I moved the couch and the television. I’m thinking about buying a bookcase.”

“You are so frustrating Cassie!” Jade said. 

“How does that make me frustrating?” Cassie asked.

“What are your plans once you finish ‘redecorating?’” Jade ignored Cassie’s question.

“I don’t have any at the moment. I might go visit my parents at some point. They haven’t seen me in a year.”

“And after that?”

“I haven’t thought that far ahead. You know me.”

“Yeah, I do which is why I know you’ll be great for the foundation and which is also why I know you’ll say yes.” Jade said.

“So we’re back to this again?”

“Yes. In addition to Sean, I’ve found someone else with philanthropic experience who might  be willing to help us out. Her name is Danielle Wilson, she goes by Dani. Right now she works for the Clinton Foundation.” Jade said.

“How’d you find her?”

“Well, I asked around and her name kept popping up. So I gave her a call. I’m still working on her, but I’m sure she’ll come around.” Jade explained. She watched as Cassie took in the information. Jade could see the wheels turning in Cassie’s head. It was only a matter of time before Jade was successful in her attempts to get Cassie on board. 

“She sounds like she’ll be a good fit.” Cassie said.

“She will be.”

“Which means you won’t need me.”

Jade gave Cassie an annoyed look, “Why are you so resistant to this? You’ll be great, Dani’ll be great, we’ll all be great for this project. So just say yes already dammit.”

Cassie was surprised. She did not expect the outburst from Jade. “I’m sorry.”

“This is really important to me, Cassie.”

“I know.” Cassie said. She hung her head. She felt guilty. Cassie was not sure why she was trying to avoid any type of work.

“I need you on board. And you need to do this for yourself. I know you want to go on pretending  to be on ‘vacation’ because going back to work, moving on with your life means something you think you’re not ready to face. But I know you. And I know you’re ready for this. So stop fighting me and just go with it.” Jade said.

Cassie looked at Jade in disbelief. It was like her best friend was living inside her and voicing the feelings within she could not even begin to understand herself. “Okay.” Cassie relented.

“Thank you.” Jade sighed relieved. “I’ll get started on setting up a meeting. You won’t regret this Cassie.”

“So you say.” Cassie smirked.  She sighed deeply before standing up, “I should get going. I’ve barged in on you and wasted enough of your time.” 

“Cassie, you didn’t waste my time. As I’ve said a thousand times before, I’m here for you always. I’m you’re friend, and I’m here when you need someone to lean on. And for the record, you’ve got other friends who are worried about you too.” Jade said.

“I don’t really feel like interacting with them just yet. You haven’t told them I’m back yet have you?” Cassie asked walking to the door.

“No, I haven’t. But you should at least send everyone an email and let them know you made it back safely, even if you don’t want to talk to them. Can I ask why you don’t want to talk to them yet?” Jade followed her guest to the door.

Cassie shrugged her shoulders, “You are the only person who really knows what happened. I never told anyone else. It’s not really something you tell people, you know.”

“Richie’s been very worried; he’s always asking about you.”

“How is he doing?” Cassie asked. Richie was one of the few people she actually missed. She felt bad for keeping him out of the loop, but she could only imagine what he would say. Cassie thought of Richie like an older cousin—someone she did not talk to on a regular basis, but still a person she could count on to kick someone’s ass if she needed.

“He’s good. He wants to head back into the studio with me. I told him I didn’t want to start anything without letting you know first, and you had this whole rule about no business when we talked while you were away.” 

“Why were you waiting to tell me?” Cassie asked.

“Because I had hoped you would be writing again when you came back to the states. “ Jade explained. Cassie opened her mouth to speak, but Jade cut her off. “I know you aren’t. We’ve already discussed that, and I’m not going to ask you to. So don’t worry about it.”

Cassie could not help but to smile. She had the best friend. “Thank you.” Cassie said as she opened the door.

“Yeah, yeah. I’m just adding it to the list of reasons why I am the best.” Jade laughed.

Cassie rolled her eyes as she stepped out of the door. “Whatever.”

“I’ll give you a call about setting up a meeting with Dani and Sean. Also, you need to give the detective a call. See what he has. Maybe it will trigger something that you forgot. If you need me to come down there with you, I can.” Jade said.

Cassie nodded. “I’ll let you know. Talk to you later.” She waved goodbye and walked down the hall to the elevator. 

Jade stood at the door for a while to make sure Cassie did not need her for anything else. After watching Cassie get on the elevator, Jade went back inside and locked the door. 

Chapter 6 by carolinaheart

After her conversation with Jade, Cassie went home. She looked around her apartment and shook her head. The place was still not feeling the way she wanted it. She threw her purse in a corner and walked to the open kitchen where she opened a bottle of wine and poured some into a glass. She then grabbed the phone out of its cradle and dialed the last number that called.

Cassie sat down on her couch with her glass of wine. She held the phone to her ear as she waited for someone to answer.

“This is Detective Parker.”

Cassie took a deep breath. “Detective Parker, this is Cassandra Mitchell, you left a message on my machine.”

“Yes, I did. Ms. Mitchell I called because we think we have a new lead regarding Christian’s case. As I said in the message I would appreciate it if we could find some time to talk through your original statement.” The detective said. 

“Detective Parker, I’ve been out of the country for a while and I’d like to have some time to just get settled in before trying delve into the past again. I told you everything I knew last year when we first met.” Cassie said.

“I’m sure, but I want to be thorough. Maybe there is something that you didn’t remember then, but has maybe come to the forefront of your mind recently.” Detective Parker probed.

“I really try not to think about it at all. Everything that happened, my relationship with Christian, it’s something I don’t think about. It’s something I’d rather forget.” Cassie said. She was lying. She thought about Christian a lot. More so now that she was home. And if she were truly honest with herself, she did not want to forget her relationship with Christian. Some of her best memories were of Christian and the things they did together. 

“Ms. Mitchell I understand. But it’s better to do this now and get it out of the way. We need your help to close this case.”

Cassie relented. “Alright. When do you want me to come in?”

“Are you free sometime tomorrow?” Detective Parker asked.

Cassie stayed on the line long enough to hash out details of the meeting. She then hung up and sent a text message to Jade, I set it up, talking with Det. Parker tomorrow.

The next morning Cassie got ready for her meeting with Detective Parker. She scheduled the meeting for the first thing on her schedule; Cassie wanted to get it over with. She hoped this would be the last time she was asked to come down to the station. After taking some time to pour coffee into a tumbler, Cassie walked out and locked up her apartment. She made her way onto the elevator and hoped she would be alone for the ride down. She was not so lucky. One of her neighbors was also heading out. 

“Good morning. We haven’t seen you around for a long time. I thought you’d moved out.” The woman said.

Cassie smiled politely. “I was away. Did some traveling.” 

“Oh that’s nice to here. Did you go with that nice looking young man who was always coming by?” 

With a smirk on her face, Cassie turned to the older woman. “No. He died before I left.” Cassie stated bluntly. 

The older woman was taken aback by the statement. For the rest of the ride down, she did not bother Cassie with anymore questions, which was the way Cassie preferred it. 

Before exiting the building, Cassie decided to check her mail.  On her way back out of the mailroom, she stopped briefly to talk with the security guard on duty. He was new; rather, he was new to Cassie. She felt the need to introduce herself. After her short conversation, Cassie finally made her way outside. There was no more stalling left for her to do. As much as she wanted to get the whole conversation out of the way, she really was not looking forward to speaking with Detective Parker. She was not sure she could be the type of help he needed or wanted. 

Cassie decided to take the subway rather than hail a taxi and walked the couple of blocks to the station. After a half-hour commute, and a three-block walk, Cassie stood in front of Detective Parker’s precinct. She took a deep breath and walked up the steps. 

Inside the building, people were bustling about in the hallway. There were officers both in uniform and in civilian clothing. Cassie looked around before setting her sights on an information desk that was really a high counter-top that seemed to wrap around and connect to the wall. It was new. A young officer sat behind it on the phone. Cassie placed her belongings on the high furniture and waited. She stared at the desk trying to process how someone would get behind it. She also wondered if anyone had suffered a breakdown from sitting behind it due to unknown claustrophobia. Really, she was bored and her mind was making up all sorts of random things to keep her occupied while she waited for the police officer to finish her conversation. While she was lost in thought, she did not notice a door behind the counter open and another officer step out. 

“Excuse me miss, but can I help you with something?” The new arrival asked. He was an older gentleman who fit all of the old cop stereotypes. He was short, portly and caucasian.

Cassie was startled out of her thoughts, “Yes, I have an appointment with Detective Parker. My name is Cassandra Mitchell.” 

“Sign-in here and I’ll escort you back.” The officer said.

“Thank-you Officer,” Cassie squinted her eyes to read the name tag, “Holt.”  After following Officer Holt’s instructions, Cassie met him at a door to the right of the information counter. 

“Right this way.” 

Cassie followed closely behind Officer Holt. In the bullpen, not too much had changed since the last time she was there. There were desks set up back-to-back throughout the large room. Some had officers sitting behind them, some had officers sitting on them, and some were empty. Officer Holt led her to one of the empty desks.

“I’ll get Parker for you. He should be by in a couple of minutes. Would you like some coffee?” Officer Holt asked

“No thank-you.” Cassie took out her phone and began going through the emails she had received in the hour since she last checked her phone. Most of them were coupons and deals for different department stores. A couple were from family members asking how her travels had been. And the last few were artists trying to reach out to her. They wanted her to work on songs for their next album.

“Ms. Mitchell. Thank you for coming in on such a short notice.” Detective Parker said sitting down across from Cassie. Unlike the officer who showed Cassie into the bullpen, Detective Parker was tall and muscular.

“You didn’t give me much of a choice.” Cassie said looking up from her mobile device. “You mentioned new leads.”

“Yes. The gun that killed Christian had other homicides tied to it.” 

“I know. It was one of the things you told me last year. You said that wasn’t much of a lead though since you didn’t have the gun in police custody.” Cassie noted. 

“Well, now we do. There was another homicide. We actually have a suspect in custody too. He was arrested during a traffic stop a few nights ago.”

“Really, you arrested him because a break light was out or something like that?” Cassie asked in disbelief. She did not think a career criminal would be stupid enough to get caught during a traffic stop. 

“It happens sometimes.”

“Do you think it’s the same guy that killed Christian?” Cassie asked wondering if her nightmare was coming to an end.

“We believe so. He’s lawyered up, but we are hoping he can give us more information on Milo. The gun was linked to more than just Christian’s murder, and we’re trying to work it all out now.”

“So why am I here?” Cassie asked. She felt like this was beginning to waste her time.

“I wanted to go over your statement from last year. I just want to see if maybe there’s something you remember now that you’ve had some distance from the event.” Detective Parker said. 

Cassie nodded her head in understanding.

“So, let’s start with the night of Christian’s murder. You said he came to your apartment?” Detective Parker questioned. He was looking at a file.

“Yes. He came over to my apartment building. I had to go downstairs and let him in.”

“You mentioned he was covered in blood.” Detective Parker said. He looked up from the file.

“Yeah, I asked him if he was hurt and he said no. The blood wasn’t his. I got mad at him. He had lied to me about his job. I thought he had stopped. He said he had stopped.” Cassie said. She was lost in her memory. Talking about the night before Christian died, brought all of the feelings she had been trying to avoid back in full force. Time had not helped at all. 

Cassie sat quietly for a while not saying anything.

“You said after you argued he left?” Detective Parker jarred Cassie out of her thoughts.

“No, yes. I assumed he did. I left him sitting in my living room. He wasn’t there when I woke up the next morning.” Cassie said.

“You also mentioned that you suspected Christian was a hired gun, and that he worked for Milo.”

“That’s correct. I met Milo once. He had dinner with us. After that, Christian was a little more protective than usual.”

“And that’s all that is left here in the file.” Detective Parker said. He turned to a new blank sheet of paper and had his pen ready for any new details Cassie might recall. “Is there anything else you want to add.”

“No. I have nothing more to say. Christian never said much about his work and I never asked. So I don’t know anything more than what you already know. Just like I said on the phone yesterday. What I told you last year is all the information I have.” Cassie said. She was frustrated. The detective made her come down to the station and relive moments she deliberately chose not to think about on a regular basis. 

“Thank you Cassie, for coming down.” Detective Parker stood up and Cassie followed suit. “If you remember anything, please give me a call.” He handed her a business card with his name and number.

“Right.” Cassie said. She left the station and headed home. 

 

 

 

******

Luke sat in his office poring over numerous documents for a new case. There was a knock on the door. He looked up from what he was doing. An older gentleman in his seventies opened Luke’s door and stepped in. 

“That’s what I like about you Luke, you still like to do things the old fashioned way.” 

Luke laughed, “Not everything Henry. But when it comes to these types of documents, printing and highlighting by hand are a must. What can I do for you?”

Henry walked into Luke’s office. He picked up a few trinkets before setting them back down in their place. Luke followed Henry with his eyes. He was curious as to why one of the senior partners with a controlling stake in the firm was in his office. He knew that the partners were considering promotions; and he knew that his name was in the running. But it was an unspoken rule at their firm, you don’t ask questions about promotions. You cannot look too eager.

“As you know, the partners are already considering end-of-year promotions.” Henry sat in one of the two chairs placed in front of Luke’s desk. “And I’m sure you are also aware that your name is on the short list.”

“I guessed as much. Didn’t want to say anything though.” Luke said. Another thing the partners seemed to admire was honesty. They did not appreciate false humility.

“You work hard and you’re one of the best lawyers here. You come in early, stay late and take some of the cases no one wants. You are also able to bring in new clients. We have a new client on our hands and we want you to be his handler. He’s one of the wealthiest men in the city.”

“Really?” Luke said.

“We want our best on this Luke; and you are our best. I’m going to be honest with you Luke, he’s run into some legal problems in the past and was unsatisfied with his representation. While his previous lawyers were a competent bunch, this guy thought they failed to represent him the way he needed.”

“What’s his name?” Luke asked.

“Benjamin Miller.” Henry said. “He’s in real-estate and owns several buildings throughout the state.” Henry said. “He’s set up an appointment next week. He wants to meet the team.”

“Henry, can I ask you a question?” 

“What is it son?”

“Why me? My specialty is international law. It sounds like his business is pretty local.” Luke said.

“I think it’d be good for you to have a few more local clients on your roster. That way you can cut down on some of that travel you do so much of now. It’s good for us because we’d rather have you stateside then jetting off to other countries for clients. Also, he’s looking into business prospects outside of the country.”

“I see.”

“Good. I expect great things from you on this one Luke.” Henry said standing up. “If you play your cards right, you could be a partner sooner than you know it. I’ll see you around.”

Henry left Luke in his office to think about his new client. Luke was not surprised the partners wanted to give him an important client. He knew that was coming. What he was surprised by was the client himself. Mr. Miller did not seem to be within Luke’s specialty. But he had to trust the higher-ups knew what they were doing. He would not have been put on the account if there was not a reason. 

Chapter 7 by carolinaheart
Author's Notes:

Sorry for the long wait. I spent the holiday in Alabama with family and when I got home I was sick. I may post more chapters later tonight, but I make no guaruntees. Scandal comes on tonight. 

About a week after her meeting with Detective Parker, Cassie received a call from Jade about the first meeting for their new nonprofit organization. They were meeting at a restaurant around three in the afternoon. Cassie arrived early, per usual, and peered into the restaurant’s windows. The establishment looked closed. She pulled out her cell phone to give Jade a call, but the door opened instead. A woman with long dark hair, pale skin, brown eyes and high cheek bones stood in front of her.

“Wow, this is a coincidence.” The woman said.

Cassie stared as she tried to place where she had seen the woman before. It did not take long for it to hit her; Cassie was getting tired of coincidences. “Dani right?” Cassie asked.

“Yeah. God I can’t believe you’re here.” Dani laughed.

“This has just been a crazy couple of weeks.” Cassie said, “I can’t even believe this is happening.”

“Why are you here?” Dani asked curiously. Her meeting with Jade and the two other potential board members was scheduled to start in about fifteen minutes.

“I think I might be lost or something. I’m supposed to be at a meeting here at three. I think Jade got this wrong.” Cassie explained.

Dani nodded her head as she realized why her college classmate was standing outside the restaurant. “You’re not lost. You’re in the right place. This is the weirdest coincidence I have ever been subject to.” Dani said. “Come on in. You’re early.”

Cassie followed Dani into the restaurant. It was quiet. She noticed all of the tables were empty. “Where is everyone?” Cassie wondered.

“Oh, the restaurant closes between two and four thirty. It’s a way to give the kitchen time to prep. for dinner.”

“I see.” Cassie said.

Dani led Cassie to a table located in a large room that was tucked away in the back. “We’ll be meeting back here. It’s good to be out of everyone’s hair. I’m going to go back up front. I’m sure Jade and our fourth member should be here soon.” Dani said.

Cassie sat alone contemplating the coincidences—because that is what they were, not fate—that seemed to keep piling up on her. First there was her flight home from Iceland, then she randomly ran into Luke at one of her favorite delis and now she was about to start work building an organization with a woman she also had not seen since graduating from college. What are the chances? Cassie thought to herself. 

Dani returned. Following not too far behind her were Jade, whom Cassie recognized immediately, and Sean—a tall man with dark skin, a wide nose and a closely shaven head—a popular R&B crooner. 

“You showed up!” Jade directed at Cassie who was sitting at the table alone when the trio arrived. 

“I said I would didn’t I?” Cassie said.

Jade turned to Dani, “I’m sure the two of you have already done introductions.”

“Actually no,” Dani said. Jade looked at her confused. “None were necessary. Cassie and I went to college together.”

Jade smiled, “Oh really. What a coincidence.” 

Cassie rolled her eyes. She then turned to the only male of their group. “Hi Sean, I’m Cassie. It’s nice to meet you.” Cassie said introducing herself. She stuck out her hand for him to shake.

“It’s very nice to meet you. I’m curious to how you fit into all of this.” Sean said. “No offense, I’m sure you’re brilliant, but Jade didn’t really explain your role.” 

Sean sat down, as did Jade and Dani.

“Cassie has had some experience in the nonprofit sector in the past.” Jade said.

“Really? Where did you work?” Dani asked.

“It was a long time ago, and probably not even relevant anymore.”

“Then why are you here?” Sean asked again. He was not trying to be rude, but he felt it would be nice to get a feel for the people he would be working with and the skills they possessed. “I really am not trying to be rude. But I’m sure Jade’s explained to you that this project is kind of like our baby.” Sean looked to Jade who nodded her head in agreement. 

“Sean, just know that Cassie is needed on this and she’ll do great.” Jade said vaguely. When she and Sean first met, he mentioned wanting to work with the somewhat reclusive Cassandra Mitchell. He was enthusiastic about it to the point of being almost obsessed. Jade could understand why. Cassie’s songs were almost a guaranteed hit. When she worked with an artist, she devoted her time to finding the right sound and the right words to go with that artist. Nothing was ever reused. When Cassie wrote you a song, no one would be able to sing it better then you—except for perhaps Cassie herself. Knowing this bit of information, Jade did not share Cassie’s true value. Jade knew in the long run having Cassie on board would assure the cooperation and contribution of some of the industries biggest recording artists.

Dani recognized Jade’s brush off for what it was—one friend protecting another. Since Cassie’s arrival, Dani noticed the other woman did not say much. She had not initiated any type of conversation, she just responded. Dani could feel that there was something off about Cassie, but she was not sure what. 

“How about we get down to the reason we’re all here?” Dani said. She was eager to get started and she wanted to disperse some of the tension that had started to build as a result of Jade and Sean’s conversation.

“I think that’s a good idea, Dani. I’ve had a chance to speak with each of you individually and each time I talk about this I think I mention different aspects I hadn’t thought of before. The short of it is this: I want the four of us to build a music-based philanthropic organization. Initially, I want this to be about students here in the US, getting instruments and instructors. Eventually though, I’d like to take this international. For now I think we should focus on the short term and getting us up and running.” Jade explained. “Any questions or suggestions?”

Cassie listened to the conversation as Dani began to speak. She started mentioning the things that were needed and throwing out ballpark estimates of what those things would cost. Cassie’s mind began to drift somewhere else. It was not that Cassie found the conversation uninteresting, it was just that she found her own situation to be more thought provoking. Since completing her undergraduate degree, Cassie had met many new people. It was rare that she ran into someone she went to school with, especially since she now lived in New York. Cassie moved promptly after graduating from college. In the past, Cassie may have attributed the coincidences popping up in her life to fate. But since Christian’s death, her thought process changed and fate no longer figured into it.

Jade looked over to Cassie; it was obvious her mind was in a completely different place. Dani had finished speaking and was asking for thoughts. Sean had said his piece and Jade put in her two cents, the group was waiting on Cassie to say something. “Hey, are you in there?” Jade asked tapping Cassie on the shoulder.

“Yeah, what do you need?” Cassie asked looking around the table; all eyes were on her.

“What do you think about what Dani said?” Jade asked.

“Um, I’m sorry. I completely blanked out there for a minute.” Cassie said.

“Don’t worry about it. I have a tendency to drone on sometimes. It was just about the numbers and how much we’ll need to raise in order to at least hire someone to help get this up and running or maybe plan some kind of kick-off fundraising event. I’ll type up everything I said and send it out to you guys.” Dani said.

“That sounds like a good idea.” Sean said. He then looked at his watch. “I really hate to leave early, but I have a recording session I need to get to.” 

“Oh, that’s fine. I’m pretty sure we’re wrapping up here.” Jade said.

“Great. Dani, Jade will give you my information. Cassie it was nice to meet you.” Sean said his goodbyes and departed from the three women.

Cassie stood to leave as well. “I’m going to head out too. I’ve got…stuff.” Cassie said excusing herself.

Jade and Dani waved goodbye.

“I think that went well.” Jade said.

“Yeah, it was a good start.” Dani agreed. “May I ask how do you know Cassie? I know you plucked me from obscurity and Sean is another singer, like yourself.”

“Cassie has been one of my best friends for years. We met through a friend of a friend. When she moved to New York, she needed a place to stay and a friend of mine knew I was looking for a roommate. We lived together for two years before I moved out.”

“You hit it big?” Dani asked.

“Yeah. First hit song came out and the rest is history, as they say. You knew her in college?”

“Yeah. She’s a bit different now. We weren’t friends or anything, but we had a class together. She just doesn’t seem as outgoing as she was then.”

“Cassie’s never been a gregarious person.” Jade countered.

“That’s not really what I meant. In college it was rare for her to not have a smile on her face. She may not have initiated a conversation, but once one was started she was eager to continue it.” Dani explained. 

“Yeah, I know what you mean. Cassie’s been through a lot. But I think, I hope things are looking up for her.” Jade said. She was thinking about her friend’s recent encounters with Luke.

“It’d be nice. I just find it so strange that Luke, he’s one of my closest friends, ran into her twice and now the two of us are working together.” Dani laughed.

“You know Luke?” Jade asked surprised.

“She told you then.”

“Yup. She’s not quite comfortable with the fact she keeps running into him. I think it’s because she’s been pushing people away for over a year, and now there’s someone that seems to be randomly popping up and weaseling their way into her life.” Jade said.

Dani laughed. “I think Cassie’s been a breath of fresh air for Luke. He’s a workaholic who never takes time for himself. Running into Cassie has him thinking.”

“In a good way or a bad way?” Jade asked.

“I think in a good way.” 

“You ladies look like you’re up to something.”

Jade turned around to see who it was that made the comment. Walking toward them was a man wearing a white half-apron.

“Hey babe.” Dani said. “We aren’t up to anything.” She smirked. “Have you met Jade yet?”

“No, I haven’t. It’s nice to meet you.” Alex said extending his hand.

“Same. Are you a chef here?” Jade asked. Dani was the one who suggested they meet at the restaurant; Jade assumed it was because the food was decent. When she arrived earlier, she had not expected the restaurant to be closed.

“Yeah, I own this place.” Alex explained as he sat down. “How did your meeting go?”

“I think it went well. We’ve got a few action items to work on before we meet again. You will never guess who Jade knows and who is working with us on this project!” Dani said excitedly to her husband.

“Who?” 

“Cassie Mitchell, my classmate from college—the one Luke’s been running into lately.” Dani said.

“No way!” Alex turned to Jade for confirmation.

“Yeah, I couldn’t believe it either.” Jade said.

“Well, this is very interesting.” Alex said. Then he looked at his wife, “I hope you aren’t planning to meddle.”

 

“I have no idea what you’re talking about.” Dani said innocently. She then turned and winked at Jade. She had a feeling that she and the singer were on the same page. 

Chapter 8.0 by carolinaheart
Author's Notes:

So, it turns out I can count and I forgot to upload a chapter in my previous haste(which would probably make things confusing a little later).

 

 

A couple of weeks passed following the initial project meeting. All following conversations were held via conference call, both Jade and Sean were traveling for various reasons. After one such call, Jade and Dani remained on the line to talk more. Over the course of three weeks—since discovering their respective best friends serendipitous meetings—Jade and Dani forged a bond over a common goal.

“So,” Dani said. “Now that they have hung up, let’s talk about the situation with our dear friends. I know Luke hasn’t mentioned running into Cassie again at all. But then again, he’s been very busy lately. The law firm has him working on a number of cases. Has she mentioned anything to you?”

“No,” Jade said. “I also have been out of town, so I’m not sure if she’s even really left her apartment. I wonder what she does most of the time.”

“Have you asked her?” 

“Yeah, a couple of times. She says she’s reading. But how much can a person read before their eyes start to hurt?” Jade joked. As long as she had known Cassie, she knew that her friend enjoyed a good book. However after a year away and nearly four weeks at home, Jade believed that Cassie had to be close to exhausting her book supply. 

“It sounds like she needs an intervention.” 

“Or something like it.” Jade agreed.

“Well, I have an idea. I think we should get Cassie and Luke together again.” Dani said. “From what you’ve told me, it sounds like Luke was helpful in getting Cassie to reemerge from her shell a bit. And I know Luke needs some type of distraction from work. He has this profound belief in fate, but he doesn’t make any effort when so-called ‘fate’ steps in. He sort of just goes with the flow.”

“I don’t really think we should meddle in their lives like this. I’m not saying I won’t go along with any idea you have, I’m just putting it out there for the universe that they might resent us later.” Jade said.

“Or, they’ll thank us later.” Dani noted.

“True. So what’s your plan?” 

“Every few months,  about a month into a new season, Alex begins to prep for the next season. He gets a new menu together featuring seasonal produce. When he gets most of the dishes finalized, he likes to invite a group of friends to the restaurant to have a tasting. There is a series of dinners. Alex likes to take everyone’s recommendations and tries to make the dishes better. Luke is usually in attendance. And Alex is close to finishing the initial summer menu. And I’m going to start planning the dinner soon. I can add you and Cassie to the list.” Dani explained.

“I like the way you think. Although, you should go ahead and add Sean too. That way it would seem a little less suspicious. If Cassie asks I can say we all were invited.” Jade suggested. 

“Great, I should get going. My husband is looking at me funny. I think he heard us making plans.” Dani laughed. 

“Not a problem. I’ll give Cassie a call and let her know what’s coming up. I’ll talk with you later.” Jade said.

“Bye.” Dani hung up the phone and turned to her husband, “Why are you giving me that look?” 

“No reason in particular. I thought you were supposed to be having your conference call with the project partners?”

“I did have a call. I was just wrapping a few things up with Jade.” Dani explained.

“Of course you were. Do you plan on adding her name to the list for the next dinner party we have?” Alex asked.

“Not just her, I want to invite the entire team. Speaking of the dinner party, do we have a date set yet?”

“I had Joe look at the calendar for the restaurant. There is a free night in two weeks. I already reserved the evening.” Alex said.

“Great then you can tell the guys when you see them tonight.” Dani said. “I’m going to go check on AJ.” Dani stood and left the room.

 

After the conference call with Jade, Dani and Sean, Cassie started organizing the notes she took. Their calls were always productive, but they went fast. Everyone seemed to talk a mile a minute. Cassie, not wanting to forget anything that was said, or miss an action item that needed immediate attention, liked to write everything down. A problem arose when she could not understand her own notes. On previous calls, Cassie employed the use of her laptop taking notes in word. However, she found she seemed to be missing parts of the conversation; she typed too loud. So on the next call she decided to try old fashioned pen and paper. That led to its own disastrous results. Cassie could not read the scribbles that were all over the page in different sections. After that experience, she vowed to just record the calls. 

Having failed in her attempts to decipher her own handwriting, Cassie began to go through her now routine process of reorganizing her apartment. In the month since her return, Cassie rearranged things no less than once a week. She was engrossed in her new task when her home phone rang. Cassie stopped what she was doing. By now she learned there was only one reason that phone would ring. 

“Hello?” Cassie asked after removing the phone from its cradle and answering the call.

“Ms. Mitchell how are you doing?” It was Detective Parker.

“I’m okay. Are you calling because you were able to make a case against Milo?” Cassie asked.

“We are working on it. But so far, we have not had much luck.”

Forgetting she was on the phone, Cassie nodded her head in understanding.

“Ms. Mitchell are you still there?” Detective Parker asked after a long silence.

“Yes, I’m sorry. I’m still here. You were saying.”

“I said we haven’t had much luck in building a case against Milo. The suspect we had in custody, the one we were charging with Christian’s murder, he died suddenly in prison.” Detective Parker said. “The DA’s office had worked out a plea deal with his lawyers; he was willing to testify against Milo.”

“Are you thinking Milo had something to do with his death?” Cassie asked.

“It’s not beyond the realm of possibility.” Detective Parker said. “I’m sorry. This isn’t the outcome you were looking for.”

“Me too.” Cassie said disappointed. “Is there anything else you want from me?”

“No that was all. I wish I had better news. Have a nice evening.”

“You too.” Cassie hung up the phone. She could not say she was surprised of the suspect’s death. Milo seemed to have his hands in everything. Cassie was, however, surprised, and extremely grateful, for the fact that the wealthy and dangerous business man had not set his sights on her. He really did not have a reason to, Cassie knew nothing. But that rarely stopped people like Milo. 

Cassie walked around her apartment in a slightly depressed mood. She was not really sure what she should do with herself. Deciding that music was the way to go, Cassie sat down at her piano to begin to play. She did not get very far into the piece before her phone rang again. Cassie walked over to her home phone sitting on the coffee table. However, it was not ringing. Realizing her mistake, Cassie went in search of her cell phone.

“Hello?” Cassie asked.

“Hi, it’s me. You sound a little down. What happened in the forty minutes between the conference call and now?” Jade asked.

“Detective Parker called.” Cassie sighed. She flopped down onto her sofa and put her feet up on the coffee table.

“It’s been a while since you last heard from him.”

“A few weeks, yeah. He said the suspect they charged with Christian’s murder died in prison.”

“Oh.” Jade said.

“Yeah. Since he’s gone, there is no one willing to testify against Milo. So that’s going nowhere now.” Cassie said.

“I’m sorry Cassie.”

“I know. I am too. Why’d you call?” Cassie said changing the subject.

“Well, after the conference with Sean and Dani, Dani and I talked.”

“Really, Jade?” Cassie whined. “What are you plotting now.” She knew the type of person her best friend was—often unhappy in her own relationships, always meddling with others’.

“I’m not plotting anything. Dani and I got to talking about the restaurant and how Alex plans out his menus to be prepared with seasonal produce.”

“That actually sounds interesting.” Cassie said.

“It was. She invited us to be at the next dinner party to showcase the new items. It’s something they do periodically.”

“And by us you mean?” Cassie asked. She was skeptical of Dani’s invitation.

“By us I mean the team—you, me and Sean. It will be fun.” Jade said. “I’ll text you the details as soon as Dani gets back to me with them.”

“Right. At least that will be something to do.” Cassie said.

“Exactly. Look I really need to get going. I’ll talk to you later okay.”

“Yeah bye.” Cassie hung up the phone and walked back to her piano where she began to play. 

 

 

Alex arrived at Luke’s apartment early. Their poker nights were a set ritual that was only missed for work purposes. Alex was in charge of providing sustenance, and Luke provided the place. It was practical for Luke to host the regularly scheduled poker nights. His apartment was in a central location, it was a bachelor pad, since Luke was hardly ever home it was clean and an added bonus was the fact that Luke would never be late. Most of their friends were either married, lived with their girlfriend or were not sufficiently neat.

As he knocked on the door, Alex shifted the case of beer in his hands. He did not have to wait long before the door opened.

“Hey, come on in. “ Luke said. He grabbed the case from Alex in an effort to help out his friend. Both men walked through the open apartment to the kitchen. Luke placed the beer in the refrigerator while Alex unloaded grocery from the reusable bags he was carrying.

“Thanks. I figured an extra case of beer might be handy considering what happened last time.” Alex said.

“Yeah, that was no fun. A bunch of grown men crying over spilt beer.” Luke laughed. “What’s on the menu this evening Chef Alex?” 

“The usual. Man food.” Alex laughed. “Although I did throw in some asparagus for Matt. You know his new girlfriend has him on this vegan kick right.” 

“I heard about that.” Luke pulled a bottle of water out of the refrigerator. “Do you want one?”  He asked Alex.

“No I’m fine.” Alex said. “So I’m supposed to let you know about our next dinner party.” Alex said.

“Really, Dani put you up to this?” Luke laughed.

“You know she did. I have a feeling she might be planning something, or maybe it just looks that way.” Alex said.

“That’s your wife.”

“I know,” Alex laughed. “Which is why I’m certain she is planning something. And to top it off, she’s scheming with a pop-star.” Alex had finished pulling everything out of the bags and was now organizing ingredients by dish.

“What do you mean?”

“Well you know she’s been working with Jade the past few weeks. The two of them have become fairly close it seems.”

“That doesn’t sound too bad.” Luke commented.

“I guess. I don’t know if she told you that your friend Cassie is apart of the team she’s working with.” 

“I haven’t really had a chance to talk with Dani in a while. But when I did, I don’t think she mentioned it. That’s kind of crazy. Did she say how Cassie got involved?” Luke asked. He was curious. It was interesting how things seemed to be falling together.

“Dani said something about Jade and Cassie being old friends.” Alex said as he began to cut up an onion. 

“Wow.”

“These are the things you miss when you hole up in that fancy office of yours.” Alex said. “You know, you can get another knife and start cutting up the tomatoes.”

“Sure.” Luke said as he turned and pulled a knife from the knife block in the corner. “Why do you say she’s scheming? You never explained that.” Luke began to cut up the tomato as instructed. 

“Oh, right. Dani invited them to the dinner.” Alex said.

“Don’t you guys usually have a set list for that?”

“We do, but I think Dani’s been wanting to shake it up for a while.” Alex explained.

“I see and adding two celebrities and an old college classmate was the way to go.”

“Exactly.” Alex said. He finished with the onion and moved on to chopping cilantro for the pico de gallo they were preparing. 

As Alex finished preparing the refreshments and Luke set up the poker table, there was a knock on the door indicating the first of their friends had arrived. Luke stopped what he was doing to answer the door.

“Hey guys, come on in.” Luke said. There were three men standing on the other side waiting to enter.

“Thanks Luke. Should I put this in the kitchen?” One of the men asked. He was carrying two six packs of beer.

“Yeah Josh. Alex is in there now. He brought a pack and it’s been chilling in the fridge.” Luke said.

 

Josh went to the kitchen and greeted Alex. Luke encouraged the other two men to have a seat. Shortly thereafter, Alex and Josh joined their friends at the table for a game of poker.  

Chapter 9 by carolinaheart

Cassie’s phone rang only seconds after she finished blow drying her hair. She scrambled out of the bathroom to answer the offending object sitting on her bed. 

“Hello?” Cassie said. 

“Hi Cassie. Are you coming?” Jade asked. She was concerned her friend might change her mind about attending Dani’s dinner party. Two weeks had passed since Jade and Dani first discussed the event. Both women were hoping for something, anything really, to transpire between Luke and Cassie.

“Yes I’m coming. You interrupted me. I was in the middle of putting my hair together.” Cassie said. She walked back into the bathroom to plug in the expensive equipment.

“That’s good to hear. I was afraid you might change your mind.” Jade explained.

“Why would I turn down free food from an award winning chef at the most exclusive restaurant in town?” Cassie asked.

“To be completely honest, you haven’t exactly been up for much since returning from your world adventures. Which, I might add, is the strangest thing to me. It seems like you should want to explore more, not less since getting a glimpse of what this planet holds.” 

“Jade, really? Why are you trying to sound profound?” Cassie laughed into the phone.

“Well one of us has to pick up the ball you put down. I’m doing my best to fill the gap in creativity left in our friendship since your personality transplant.”

Cassie shook her head at they way her friend described her new outlook on life. She was grateful that Jade tried her best to avoid mentioning Christian, or his death. “Okay. Look if you want to see me in a couple of hours, I need to finish getting ready. So goodbye.” Cassie said. She did not wait for Jade’s response before she hung up the phone. 

Less than two hours later, Cassie was standing in front of the restaurant she first visited two weeks earlier. Unlike her first visit, the restaurant was open and fairly crowded. She walked in and maneuvered herself through the throng of waiting people. She made her way to the hostess stand and waited for her turn to be helped. 

A young woman, who looked less than friendly, greeted Cassie when the couple in front of her moved to the side. “Can I help you?”

“Yes, I’m here for a dinner party. My name should be on the list.” Cassie explained.

The woman nodded her head up and down. She pushed a note pad to the side to reveal a printed list of names. “What’s your name?”

“Cassandra Mitchell.”

The hostess scanned the document for a few moments without saying anything.

“It could be Cassie Mitchell instead. Cassie, you know, is short for Cassandra.”

“Yeah, I got that. You’re here.” The woman turned to a waiter who was walking up. “Joe, she’s here for Alex’s party.” She pointed a finger at Cassie. 

The waiter escorted Cassie through the restaurant to the back room where she, Dani, Jade and Sean held the first meeting for their nonprofit. “Here you are ‘mam.” Joe said.

Cassie smiled and thanked the waiter before entering the room. It was set up only slightly different from her previous visit. An extra table was out. There were a number of people mingling with each other. Cassie assumed they were all friends. She looked around the room for a familiar face. She finally found one in Jade who was seated at a round table. 

“You made it!” Jade said excitedly. “Have a seat.”

“Even after talking to me, you still didn’t think I would come?” 

“I had my doubts.” Jade said. 

“Have you seen Dani or her husband yet?” Cassie asked. 

“Dani came by a little while ago. Mostly I’ve been sitting here by myself. Every now and then a person has worked up the courage to come over and talk to me. I just got a message from Sean; he’ll be here in a few.” 

“I see.” Cassie reached for the glass of water that was sitting in front of her. “I’m really excited to taste the food. I’ve heard this place is great.”

“Same.” Jade said. She took a sip from her own glass before looking over to the door. When she did, she noticed Sean walking in. As with Jade’s arrival, the group of people stared as the famous singer made his way through the room. He did not stop until he reached the table with Cassie and Jade.

“Good evening ladies.” Sean said sitting down.

“Hi Sean. It’s nice to see you again.” Cassie said. 

“Likewise.” Sean said. He took a seat next to Jade.

Jade caught Sean’s eye and smiled. Cassie watched the interaction and shook her head. She could tell her friend’s smile did not reach her eyes. 

“I was happy to hear you were able to work some time out of your schedule to be here.” Jade said to Sean.

“That’s nice to know.” Sean flashed a large grin at Jade.

Cassie could quickly see where this evening was headed and she rolled her eyes. She did a quick sweep of the room with her eyes and stopped only when she noticed there was a table set up as a bar. Getting up, Cassie left the table and headed for a drink. She did not want to bear witness to the excessive flirting that was about to ensue. 


Across town, Carmen and Luke sat in his office going over paperwork. They had a case going to court in the coming weeks and the two intended to be thoroughly prepared. Carmen looked at her watch. It was Friday evening and both were expected to be at Alex’s restaurant in less than an hour. 

“Luke, we should head out. If we leave now, we might actually arrive for dinner on time.” Carmen noted.

“You go ahead,” Luke said looking up, “I just want to finish going through this depo. before heading over. I swear I’m right behind you.”

Carmen stood, “Of course you are.” She gathered her things and walked out of the door.

When she arrived at the restaurant, Carmen went straight toward the back. She had been to one of Dani and Alex’s dinner parties before; she knew where she was going. She ignored the looks from other patrons and member of the wait staff. As always, the back room was filled with friends of Dani and Alex. She looked around and found Dani talking to another woman at their usual table. 

Carmen tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and walked over to the table. “Hi Dani.” Carmen said.

Dani smiled, “Hey, glad you could make it. And on time to boot, who would have thought.” Dani laughed.

“Unlike some people we know, I like to be on time for events.” Carmen said.

“Speaking of ‘some people,’ where is your mentor?” Dani asked.

“I left him going through depositions. I warned him we needed to get going, but of course, he had to read a few more pages.” Carmen said. 

“Of course. Oh, I’m being rude. Carmen this is Cassie. She’s working with me on Jade’s project I told you about.” Dani said.

“It’s nice to meet you.” Carmen said reaching out to shake Cassie’s hand.

“A pleasure.” Cassie said. 

“Now that the two of you have met, I’m going to check on things in the kitchen. We should be ready to start soon.” Dani said before she disappeared.

Carmen tilted her head and studied the woman standing before her. “Are you the same Cassie Luke ran into at the airport?” 

“You know Luke?” Cassie asked. “Of course you do, he’s your mentor right?” Cassie said putting two and two together. 

“Right.” Carmen confirmed.

“And he told you about running into me too?” Cassie asked.

“Yeah. I was at dinner with him, Alex and Dani when he mentioned it.”

Cassie nodded her head and wondered how many people knew about her run ins with Luke. Cassie looked up when she felt a hand on her shoulder. “Hey you’re done mingling?” 

Jade smiled and sat down. “Yeah. It’s a lot less demanding when you aren’t the only famous face in the crowd.”

Carmen stared at the woman who had joined their table. She recognized the singer instantly. Carmen was a huge fan. She watched enviously as Jade interacted with Cassie. The two were obviously close friends. She waited patiently for either Cassie to introduce her, or for Jade to introduce herself.

“So where is Sean?” Cassie asked noting the other singer’s absence.

“He went to the bathroom. It looks like we have a new arrival to our little table.” Jade said as she looked at Carmen.

“Yes. Jade this is Carmen, she works with Luke.” Cassie said introducing the younger woman.

“I’m such a huge fan.” Carmen blurted out. She covered her mouth in shock after she realized what she said.

Cassie looked at Jade and smirked. She could see her friend was amused, but found the young lawyer endearing.

“I did not mean to say that.” Carmen said trying to regain her composure.

“It’s really not a problem. Most people aren’t able to recover that fast.” Jade said. “Are you a lawyer too?”

“Yes. I’m a Junior Associate. Hopefully, I’ll be promoted to a full associate soon. I’ve been there for a while now.” Carmen said.

“I’m sure it will happen.” Jade said.

Carmen was not sure, but she thought she saw something in Jade’s eye as she spoke to her. Cassie on the other hand was sure. She knew Jade well enough to realize when her best friend saw something, or someone she liked. However, before the conversation could continue, Sean rejoined the ladies at their table.

“I’m back. Hope you didn’t miss me too much.” He joked. He sat down next to Jade.

Jade laughed and placed her hand gently on his forearm. “Not at all.” She said. 

Carmen shook her head, realizing what she thought she saw, was nonexistent. “I’m going to get a drink at the bar; anyone need anything?” She asked abruptly standing up.

Jade looked up, “No thanks I’m good.”

“Thanks for the offer, though.” Cassie said. She watched Carmen walk briskly and confidently over to the table with the drinks. Cassie then turned to Jade and shot her a disapproving look. Jade ignored her and continued her flirtations with Sean.

While Carmen was away from the table, Dani and Alex came into the room from the kitchen.

“Hi everyone.” Dani started trying to get the attention of the room. The pair were now standing in front of empty seats at Cassie’s table.

“We’re ready to get started in a few minutes. I just wanted to take the time before you all have food in front of you, to thank you for coming. There are a lot of old friends here and a few new ones too. I want you all to be honest when it’s time for comments, but most of all I want you all to enjoy yourself. This is a thank-you from me and Dani for putting up with us.” Alex said. The room laughed at his joke. 

“And look who’s getting in right before the food is served.” Dani said.

All eyes turned to the entrance of the room. Luke was trying to be discrete, but he failed. When he noticed everyone staring, he smiled and waved. “Sorry guys. Work you know?”

Dani shook her head. “Yeah whatever. We saved you a seat.” Dani said gesturing to the empty chair next to Cassie. 

Luke nodded. When he reached the table, he sat down. He did not know the two other faces that were at his table, but he did recognize the famous singers. “Hi all,” Luke said waving his hand at the party.

Carmen laughed as she came back to the table and sat down on the other side of Luke. “Nice entrance you made there.” She said.

“I know. I know. I should have left when you did.”

“Damn right you should have.” Carmen said.

“Cassie, it’s nice to see you again.” Luke said turning to face her. She looked different. The curls she wore the last time he saw her, were now straight. Cassie wore some makeup, but not enough to overpower her natural beauty.

Cassie tilted her head to the side. “I take it you’re usually late to events? 

“Haha,” Luke laughed. He ran his hand over his head and down the back of his neck. “ It’s a nasty habit I have. I like to wrap things up at work before heading out.” 

“He’s a workaholic.” Carmen supplied. 

“You stay late all the time so I don’t know why you’re talking.” Luke said.

“I know I do, but when I have an evening engagement, I make it a point not to be late.” Carmen argued.

“You mean a date with, what’s her name again, Sophie?” Luke asked.

“Carmen rolled her eyes. You’re an ass you know that?” Carmen said.

Cassie laughed as the two went back and forth. Deciding she should break up their little discussion, Cassie introduced Sean and Jade to Luke. “Luke I don’t think you’ve met Sean and Jade yet.”

“No I haven’t.”

“Well this is Sean, and Jade. Jade, Sean this is Luke.” Cassie introduced.

Luke smiled at them both. “Nice to meet you.”

“Same.” Sean said.

“You’re the famous Luke.” Jade said.

Luke raised his eyebrows. “I’m famous now?” 

“Well, Cassie told me about you. And I’ve talked with Dani.” Jade explained.

“You talked with Dani about me?” Luke asked surprised.

Cassie looked at her friend in complete shock. “You and Dani talked about Luke?” Cassie questioned.

“It wasn’t a big deal really.” Jade said trying to assuage the situation. 

“Of course it’s not.” Cassie said sarcastically and rolling her eyes. Luke laughed at Cassie’s response, as did Carmen and Sean.

Before Jade could come back with a response, waiters came out carrying dishes. They set a few on each table. Shortly afterwards, Dani and Alex came back out and sat down at the table with their closest friends. 


Throughout dinner, the table occupants seemed to form small cliques. Alex, Dani and Carmen discussed food and recipes—what  type of dishes would feature nicely on a fall menu. Sean and Jade conversed about new artists and songwriters coming into their own. While Luke and Cassie took a trip down memory lane, talking about situations from the past and the few things they missed about the South. 

“So you miss the leaves?” Luke asked incredulously. To him it was the oddest answer to the question he had asked.

“Yes I do. During fall break, my friends and I would make the two-hour drive to the mountains and take a trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway to get a few good pictures. The colors were unbelievable. You have not experienced fall until you’ve done it in the mountains of North Carolina.” Cassie said. 

“I’ve never done that. I never really notice the leaves.” Luke said. 

Cassie smiled. “You should slow down some time and just take it all in.”

“I guess I should.”

Dani looked over from her conversation with Alex and Carmen to see how things were going. She was giddy when she realized that Luke and Cassie were getting along fairly well. 

“So what are you guys talking about?” Dani asked. She wanted to get a feel of what exactly was going on between her best friend and her new friend.

“Did you ever drive the Blue Ridge Parkway while in undergrad?” Luke asked.

“Umm, not that I remember why?”Dani said.

“My friends and I could not have been the only ones who appreciated the fall colors?” Cassie said in disbelief.

“I mean I knew people who did, but my friends were more likely to go to the lake and grill.” Dani said.

“We did that too. We did a lot of things. I lived in North Carolina for most of my life, and I explored the state more during my four years at Carolina than any other time in my life.” Cassie explained. 

Jade, just as curious as Dani, also took a moment to see what was going on beside her. Sean needed to take a call, so he headed out into the hall. What Jade saw made her heart smile. She knew Cassie would enjoy the evening and she felt that Cassie was more than ready to move on with her life. But she also knew that Cassie needed a little bit of a push, and Jade was happy that she and Dani had conspired to be the ones to make that push. Currently Cassie sat with her chair turned toward Luke and she was leaning on the table in his direction. Luke’s arm rested lightly on the back of Cassie’s chair. The two seemed very comfortable with each other. 

Satisfied, Jade decided it was best to stay out of the current situation. She went back to enjoying her meal, but not before she cautiously and surreptitiously glanced at Carmen. Unbeknownst to Jade, Cassie was also watching her. It frustrated Cassie to no end that Jade, someone who was not shy about anything, kept her sexuality a secret. Throughout the evening Cassie watched as Jade stole glances at Luke’s co-worker while she continued to flirt with Sean.

While Sean was away, Jade stood and went to the bathroom. Cassie soon followed. She leaned against the sink counter as she waited for Jade to come out of a stall. When Jade saw Cassie, she smiled. 

“So, you’re having fun?” Jade goaded. 

Cassie looked down at the floor before answering. “Yeah, I’ve been having a good time. The food’s good.”

“And the company?”

“It’s not bad.”

“U-huh.” Jade pulled a few paper towels from the dispenser and wiped her hands. 

“I know what you’re thinking Jade.” Cassie said looking up and narrowing her eyes at her friend.

“Really so you’re a mind reader now. Please, oh great one, tell me what I’m thinking.”

“It’s nothing though.” Cassie said instead of verbalizing what she was sure Jade was thinking.

“It could be something…if you gave it a chance…if you stopped running from it.” Jade said.

“And what about you?” Cassie asked.

“What about me?”

“I think it’s unfair what you’re doing to Sean.” Cassie said. She folded her arms to seem more menacing.

“I like Sean, he’s a nice guy.” 

“But he’s not your type. He’s got a penis where you prefer a vagina. It’s not fair to him and it’s not fair to you.”

“So we’re going to have this discussion again?” Jade asked. “How about this. I’ll stop running when you do.” Jade left. 

Cassie stood quietly for a few seconds before she turned around to look at herself in the mirror. “Idiot,” Cassie said to herself. Their conversation was nothing new. It had just been a while since Cassie brought it up. And she only did it as a defense mechanism. She knew it was tough for Jade. But as her best friend, Cassie only wanted Jade to be happy. The woman was supportive, fun, talented and a bit pushy at times, and like everyone else in the world she deserved to be herself and to love someone without the world harping on her for it. Cassie pushed her concerns to the back of her mind. She went back out to the dinner party where Jade and Sean were flirting with each other once again.

Jade looked up and made eye contact with Cassie. After knowing each other so long, they both could read the other like an open book. And from where she was sitting Jade could see Cassie was trying to communicate a silent apology. She smiled and nodded her head letting Cassie know that for now, things were okay between them. She turned back to her conversation.

Upon Cassie’s arrival at the table a new conversation began about the latest tablet to be released. The rest of the evening went much the same way, with a new topic explored by the table after ten minutes of discussion on the previous one. As the party wined down, people began to leave. Carmen was the first from the table to say her goodbyes. She was soon followed by Sean and Jade, who decided there was a movie they needed to see right at that moment. 

Cassie stood and picked up her purse as well. She thanked Dani and Alex for the invitation and left. Dani glared at Luke as he continued to sit in his seat.

“Why are you glaring at me?” 

“I think you should leave too. Don’t make me spell this out for you Luke.” Dani said.

Luke laughed and took the hint. He caught up with Cassie before she was able to get a taxi. “Hey Cassie.”

Cassie turned around. “Luke.”

“Tonight was fun.” 

Cassie laughed at his approach, “Right. It was nice. Alex really did a good job.”

“And the company?” Luke asked.

“It could have been worse. It was fun though, hearing about how you and Dani spent time during undergrad.”

“Yeah.” Luke said.

“We all had very different experiences didn’t we?” Cassie said.

“Yeah, we really did. We should all do this again sometime. Sit. Talk. Eat.” Luke suggested.

“That could be fun.”

Luke dug in his pocket for his phone, “How about I get your number so we can set something up in the future.” 

Cassie shook her head and laughed, “No way. How about you give me your card, and I’ll be the one to decide when or if we all get together again.”

“Fine, just a second.” Luke dug in his brief case for a pen and a business card. He turned the card over and scribbled his cell phone number on the back. “Here.”

“Thanks.” Cassie said. She took the card and looked at it for a second before stuffing it in her pocket.

“You’re not going to lose it that way?” Luke asked.

“I have a feeling that if I did lose it and I wanted to call you, Dani would not hesitate to give up your number.” Cassie said.

“I think you’re right.”

Cassie smiled, “I know I am. Here’s a taxi. I should head home. I’ve got some things I’m working on at the moment.”

 

“Of course. Have a good night.” Luke said. He watched the cab pull into traffic before he walked a couple of blocks to the nearest subway stop. 

Chapter 10 by carolinaheart

A little over a week passed, and Cassie was bored. Jade was once again out of town, and Cassie did not feel right contacting some of her old acquaintances. She had not spoken to many of them in over a year, and she contacted only a select few to let them know she was back in town.

For the most part, Cassie sat in her apartment practicing songs on the piano she learned long ago, and spending hours watching television shows on Netflix. When she was not doing either of those activities, Cassie was working on plans for the fundraising roll out of the foundation. The group decided throwing a halloween masquerade gala would raise the most money and be the most entertaining. Jade and Sean were working on getting a few of their industry friends to commit to donating some of their time to perform at the event.

Cassie had already spent more time than she cared to think about working on the gala. Since she was the only one of the group without a job, she was tasked with getting many of the details in place. Earlier, Cassie was negotiating with a hotel for getting a room for the launch. Cassie was tired of her day-to-day routine; she needed to shake it up.

On a whim, Cassie went to her coat closet and dug through the pocket of the jacket she wore to Dani and Alex’s dinner party. She found what she was looking for in the form of a folded up business card. Going back to the overstuffed arm chair she was sitting in before, Cassie sat down on one leg and let the other dangle. She reached for her phone and dialed the number on the card. 

 

It was the middle of the day when Luke’s phone rang. And surprisingly, he was not busy working. Luke tried to reserve his Sundays for doing absolutely nothing. Rarely was he successful in his attempts. He answered his phone after the first ring.

“This is Luke.” 

There was silence on the other end. “Hello?” Luke asked.

“Hi Luke, it’s Cassie.”

“Wow, this is a surprise.” Luke laughed. “How are you doing?”

“I’m good. I’m fine. Actually, I’m bored.” Cassie said.

“Really? You’re bored.” 

“Yes.”

“So you called me, because you’re bored?” Luke asked.

“Do you have a problem with that?” Cassie asked. However, she gave him no time to respond. “Because I can hang up if you do.”

“No, no. I just… never mind. So you’re bored.”

“That point has been well established by now, Luke.” Cassie said.

“What do you want me to do about your boredom Cassie?” Luke asked. He was curious to find the real reasoning behind Cassie’s call.

“You gave me your number.” Cassie said.

“Yes, I did. Am I supposed to be able to cure boredom though?” 

“You gave me your number and said I could call when I wanted to set something up.”

“And…” Luke said. He now understood why Cassie was calling, but he wanted her to say it. 

“And I want to set something up.”

“I see.”

“Are you free this evening?” Cassie asked.

“You want to set something up tonight?”

“I know it’s kind of short notice, but I’m really bored.” Cassie started.

“That fact we’ve clearly established.” Luke noted.

“Yes and it’s a Sunday night, and I don’t know too many people who have plans on Sunday night. I was hoping you didn’t have any already, plans that is.” Cassie explained. 

From Luke’s perspective, it sounded like the words were falling out of Cassie’s mouth. He could hear through her voice that she was slightly apprehensive and nervous about asking this of him. 

“You’re right. I don’t have any plans for the evening. Did you have anything particular in mind you wanted to do?”

“Well,” Cassie said. “We could go to see a movie. Movies are safe.”

Luke laughed, “What do you mean by ‘movies are safe.’ We live in New York City, but it’s not as dangerous as people think it is.”

“That’s not what I meant. I just think seeing a movie is a nice platonic thing to do. God knows if either Jade or Dani find out about this, they’ll start trying to plan our wedding.” Cassie said.

“Oh, so you plan on marrying me now then?” Luke joked.

“That’s not…God, Luke just…don’t.” Cassie said frustrated.

“I’m sorry. You walked right into that one. But I do know what you mean. Dani can meddle all by herself. Give her someone to conspire with and game over, you’ve been suckered into doing something you didn’t think you would.”

“Sounds like you know from experience.” Cassie said.

“Dani has set me up on one too many blind dates for me to not have experience. They hardly ever go well. Nothing seems to stick.” Luke explained. “Is Jade the same way?”

“Only since I’ve been back. She couldn’t really set me up for a year and before that I was in a relationship for the better part of eight years.” Cassie said. She was going along with the conversation. It was not until after she said it, that she realized what she had admitted to Luke. She started to contemplate the fact that she easily revealed an important part of her recent past.

“I see.” Luke said. He waited for Cassie to say something else. “Cassie.” Luke prodded. He did not want to push her. The silence spoke volumes. He recognized that her intent was not to have a deep conversation with him over the phone; she was just trying to plan an evening out with a friend. “Cassie are you okay?”

Cassie came out of her daze, “Yeah, no I’m fine.” She said. “So you’re up for seeing a movie tonight then?” 

“That works for me. Is there a specific theater you want to go to?” Luke asked.

“I’ll text you an address and time. I’ll see you in a few hours.” Cassie said.

“Okay. Bye Cassie.” Luke said. He heard the call end. 

Luke put his phone down. He had not expected a call from Cassie. Even more, he had not expected that she would mention her past. When the two ran into each other before, Luke tried to get her to open up. But Cassie refused. He did not mean to push her then, and definitely was not going to push her now. He could understand if she needed her space, and he would give it to her. Luke wanted to be a friend to Cassie, and he did not want to frighten her away.


Luke was rushing to get out of the door. He fell asleep on his couch shortly after his phone call with Cassie. How he managed to do that, he would never know. The piece of furniture was built for style and not for comfort. He grabbed his wallet, phone and keys and headed out the door. 

Standing in front of the elevator, Luke bounced. He anxiously awaited the car’s arrival. When the elevator did not come in a  suitable time frame, Luke went for the stairs. He sprinted down, skipping a step every now and then. He burst through the door into the lobby on the bottom floor of his apartment. The bellman waved, but Luke did not notice. He stopped briefly on the side walk and contemplated whether he should hail a cab or take the subway. The nearest stop was just down the block, and, with New York traffic, would probably be quicker. Deciding on the subway, Luke sprinted down the sidewalk narrowly avoiding a dad taking his kid out for a stroll. Luke only stopped when he got to the platform. The train had yet to arrive. Luke used that time to catch his breath and look at his phone for the time. If the train came in the next few minutes, he was sure he could make it to meet Cassie on time. 

It was not long before the train did arrive and Luke stepped on. He stood toward the middle and tapped his foot on the ground. Knowing there was nothing to do to make them move faster, Luke rested his head on his hand that was holding the stabilization pole. The twenty minute ride felt like eternity.  When the train finally stopped, Luke was moving again. He made his way through the underground stop and up the stairs out into the open. He then preceded to sprint to his final destination. Luke, however, was caught by a light. 

Luke looked across the street and he saw Cassie. She was standing alone in front of the theater waiting. Luke watched as she pulled out her phone and looked down at it. She seemed to be getting nervous. Cassie lifted her hand to push her hair, back in its natural curly state, out of her face. The wind was blowing quite a bit for the cool spring day. When the light changed, Luke speed-walked down the sidewalk. Cassie was looking in the other direction as he came up behind her.

“Hey.” Luke said.

Cassie spun around to take in the man before her. She gave Luke a quick once-over; since meeting on the plane, Cassie had never seen him dressed this way. Usually he was wearing a suite and tie, but on this particular evening he was wearing a pair of jeans and a button-up shirt. The look surprised Cassie, though it should not have considering it was a Sunday and he already admitted when they were on the phone that he was not working on Sunday.

“Hi.” Cassie said. “You’re…”

“I’m not late.” Luke interrupted. “I’m on time, well almost on time. If I made that light over there,” Luke pointed to where he stood and watched Cassie from across the street, “I’d be on time.”

Cassie smirked. “Of course.”

“How long have you been standing here?” Luke asked.

“Not too long ten minutes max.” 

“Ten minutes! And you said that’s not too long?”

Cassie turned toward the ticket window and got in line. Luke followed. “That’s not too bad for me. I hate being late. I think it’s rude. So, I usually get to places fifteen minutes early.” Cassie explained.

“Really?” Luke asked.

Cassie nodded her head. “Once, in undergrad, I was working on a group project. Most of the group informed me they weren’t going to make it, but I was still supposed to meet with one of the other people on my team. I got to the student union about fifteen minutes early. I ended up waiting for the person to show up which is no surprise. However, about thirty minutes after our scheduled meet time, I was getting ready to leave. My missing group member shows up as I’m ready to walk out the door. So as I said, ten minutes is not a big deal for me.”

“I see.” Luke said. 

The pair bought their tickets separately before going inside the theater complex. They had a good fifteen minutes before the movie was scheduled to start, however, the film they chose to see was a fairly popular one. Luke looked around and saw a number of people heading to the theater their movie would play in.

“Why don’t I go to the concession counter and get us some refreshments…” Before he could finish his suggestion, Cassie interrupted.

“I can buy my own food.” Cassie said indignantly. While Luke had agreed this was not a date earlier, Cassie wanted to make sure he did not change his mind and make it more than what it was. If Jade were there to analyze Cassie’s thought process, which she often was in Cassie’s head, she would say that Cassie was jumping to conclusions because she did want it to be a date. But Cassie would insist that Jade was wrong. 

“I didn’t say you couldn’t. I was going to say there looks like a lot of people showed up for the movie and I was going to suggest you go get us good seats, while I got the food.” Luke reasoned.

“Oh, okay. Right.” Cassie turned and headed toward the movie.

“Cassie.” She stopped and turned around. “Do you want anything?” Luke asked.

Realizing she forgot to inform Luke of what she wanted from the concession counter, Cassie walked back to Luke. “Yeah a small popcorn and a Pepsi.”

“Is Coke okay?” Luke asked. “That is if they don’t have Pepsi.” 

“No, just get me a Dr. Pepper instead.” Cassie opened her purse and took out her wallet. “Here, this is for my stuff.” She said handing him a ten dollar bill.

“Right. Because this isn’t a date.” Luke smirked.

“Exactly.” Cassie turned around and headed toward the theater. 

After the two-hour movie ended, Cassie and Luke discarded their unwanted trash. They walked out of the theater and into the cool evening air. Cassie pulled her leather jacket closer around her arms. She began searching for somewhere to eat. She was hungry.

Luke was looking at his phone quickly going through some of his work emails. He looked up at Cassie. “What are you doing?” He asked.

“I’m looking for somewhere to eat.” Cassie said.

“You’re hungry? You ate most of the tub of popcorn.” Luke said.

“Don’t judge.” Cassie said. “Besides popcorn is not real food. I need sustenance.”

Luke tilted his head slightly and looked at Cassie. She was being unnecessarily dramatic and he found it kind of cute. He liked this Cassie a lot more than the closed off version he seemed to always run up against. This was a new side he had not seen before. 

“Okay then. Since you picked this theater, is there anywhere in particular you would like to eat?” Luke asked. He had a suggestion in mind, but he did not want to step on Cassie’s toes if she had her heart set on something else. 

“No, not really. I would like a decent hot dog though,” Cassie said. “And a milkshake.” She added as an after thought.

Luke laughed. “Popcorn is not real food, but hot dogs and milkshakes are?” 

“Don’t judge!” Cassie said again. She was pointing a finger at him and trying not to laugh.

“I’m not,” Luke said. He put up his arms in a surrendering motion. “I just can’t believe you consider those two things food. I know a place that does a really good milkshake and they also serve hot-dogs. It’s not that far from here.”

“Lead the way.” Cassie said.

“As you wish.” Luke began walking down the street and Cassie walked beside him. The two joked and bantered the entire way to the restaurant.

When they arrived at their destination, they stopped.

“Here we are.” Luke said opening the door and holding it for Cassie as she entered.

An older waitress came up to them and seated Luke and Cassie in a booth. 

“This place is interesting.” Cassie said as she looked around. It was small restaurant with a diner feel. There was a jukebox in the back and an eclectic mix of souvenirs decorated the walls.

“It’s a good place. Carmen introduced me to it. I was surprised by the quality of the food. You know a lot of times with these small hole-in-the-wall New York restaurants it’s a hit or a miss.”

“And this was a hit?” Cassie asked.

“Definitely.”

The waitress came back and took their order. While they waited Luke started up a new conversation. 

“Earlier, on the phone, you mentioned that Jade wasn’t really able to set you up for a year. Why is that?” Luke asked.

Cassie was quiet for a moment. She had been having such a good time before Luke decided to ask her that particular question. “I was unavailable. I spent the entirety of last year out of the country.” Cassie said.

“That sounds exciting.”

Cassie smiled. “It was. I got to see and do so many different things.”

“So you went around the world.”

“I did. I left to take some time away from some things.” Cassie said.

“I see.” Luke said.

Neither said anything for a moment. 

“Did you quit your job to do this?” Luke asked. He felt like that was a safer question to ask than the one he really wanted an answer to.

“Yeah I guess you could say that.”

“Care to expand?” Luke asked.

“I was somewhat self-employed.”

“How can you be ‘somewhat’ self-employed?”

“I used to write songs; I was a songwriter.” Cassie said.

“That’s…that’s incredible.”

“I guess.” Cassie shrugged.

“I’m assuming you’ve had a hit or two.” Luke said. “You know, because you were able to take the year off.”

“Yeah, I have. And the royalties did help with the whole not working thing.”

“Wait a second, did you write any of Jade’s songs?” 

“Of course I did. She’s my best friend. Her first single was one I wrote. I’ve written a lot of songs for Jade. It’s easy when you’re close to a person to write a song for them.” Cassie explained.

“That makes a lot of sense. Have you written for any other artists?” Luke asked.

“Yeah there are a lot.”

“So, songwriting is something you like to do?” Luke asked.

“Yeah, I used to at least. I used to love it. It was one of my dreams as a kid. I would come up with these songs, they usually didn’t make any sense, and I would perform them for my family. I’m pretty sure they got tired of me at some point.” Cassie laughed.

“Did you stop because of your boyfriend?” Luke asked. He was not trying to be insensitive; he just wanted to get an idea of where Cassie was coming from so he could be a better friend. 

“Pretty much. I just didn’t feel like writing anything after he died.” Cassie said. Mostly because it would mean dealing with feelings I’m not ready to face, Cassie added to herself.

“I get that, I guess.”

“Thanks.” Cassie said.

“Why are you thanking me?”

“Because you’re not being too pushy about the whole thing.” Cassie said. “Jade’s a bit pushy, but I know it’s because she could see from the beginning that things weren’t going to end well. She’s like my sister in that she only wants the best for me, and I only want the best for her.”

 

Luke did not say anything. There was nothing to say. Instead, he waited quietly for their food to arrive. The rest of the evening Luke and Cassie did not say much. Their conversation had Cassie thinking of the past and her regrets. While for Luke, the conversation made a number of things about Cassie more clear. 

End Notes:

I decided I'd post a few chapters today (instead of just one). Your thoughts are appreciated (it will help me finally take the time and finish the story as I only have three or four chapters left to write. The next ten chapters are sitting on my computer right now). As always, thanks for reading. 

Chapter 11 by carolinaheart

It was late spring. And June brought higher temperatures, more tourists and Jade’s birthday. At two weeks out, Jade was planning her annual birthday evening. She was eating a late lunch with Dani one afternoon, when she explained the details of her usual plans.

Jade was in town for the first time in several weeks and she wanted to check in with each member of her team individually to see where they were on their tasks. Their regularly scheduled conference calls were helpful, but not as intimate as Jade liked. She also had ulterior motives; Jade wanted the scoop on what was transpiring between Luke and Cassie.

Dani sat with Jade at her husband’s restaurant. They were finishing up their meal.

“Now that business is over, let’s talk about Cassie and Luke.” Jade said getting straight to the point.

Dani nodded. “Let’s. I know Luke has been extremely busy lately with work. And we haven’t really had the chance to talk as much as I’d like.”

“So you haven’t hear anything then?” Jade asked.

“No, not really. It’s not unusual for Luke and I not to talk to each other for several weeks when he’s working on a big case. He seems to disappear for weeks and then out of the blue we get a phone call, ‘Yeah big case; fast moving project; had to do some research in London.’ Although that doesn’t necessarily mean they aren’t spending time together, I just doubt it. Luke didn’t mention anything about Cassie.” Dani explained.

“That makes sense. With me, I’ve been the one who’s busy. It’s hard to check in with Cassie. This project is not the only thing in the works. I’m working with a designer on a shoe line I hope to get out for the winter. I’ve also had meetings with directors and movie producers. My agent is working to get me an acting role. It’s something I’ve always wanted to try. I participated in theater in college for a little while. So my conversations with Cassie have been a bit short of late. And it’s easier for her to keep things from me when we’re not face-to-face.” Jade said.

“So it sounds like neither of us really knows what’s going on on that front.” Dani said.

Jade nodded her head.

“Hmm.” Dani brought the glass of water sitting in front of her to her lips as she pondered solutions to their perceived problem. “We need to find a way to get them together again.” Dani said.

“My birthday is coming up.” Jade said.

Dani smiled, “really do you already have plans in place that I can crash with Luke in tow?”

Jade laughed. “Somewhat, yeah. Cassie and I have this tradition where we go out to a Karaoke Bar and just have a really good night—lots of drinks and lots of singing.”

“Really, you do this every year?” Dani asked surprised. She did not thing someone as famous as Jade would be able to go out like that.

“Every year we’ve known each other, except last year.”

“Why didn’t you do it last year?” Dani asked.

“Cassie spent the year abroad trying to get over some things.”

“I see.” Dani said. “So your birthday karaoke?”

“Yes. It used to be just the two of us, but a few years ago we started expanding our group, usually to include Richie—a producer friend of ours—and whomever we were dating at the time. And by ‘we were dating’ I really mean whomever ‘I was dating,’ Cassie’s boyfriend always had something come up at the last minute. That being said, I think it’d be a great idea if you and Alex came out with us. And of course you should invite Luke as well.” Jade said.

Dani laughed. “I think so too. It will be hilarious as well, Luke has no musical talent whatsoever. It’s actually kind of scary.” 

“Doesn’t matter. As long as everyone has a good time.” Jade said. 

The two finished off the last remnants of lunch and said goodbye. Before going to back to work, Dani immediately gave Luke a call.

Luke was in the final weeks of one of the firm’s biggest cases. He was having a working lunch when his personal cell phone rang. Seeing that Dani was calling, he decided he could use a bit of  a break.

“Hi Dani, what’s up?” Luke asked after he answered the phone.

“Not a lot. How’s work going.”

Luke smirked, he knew his friend well enough to know she was up to something. Rarely did the two friends talk in the middle of the week during the middle of the work day. “Dani, you want something don’t you. You never call just to ask ‘how’s work going’ especially in the middle of the day.”

Dani sighed over the line. “You’re right. I just haven’t heard from you, or seen you in a while.” Dani said. She paused a moment before continuing. “I know you hate it,” Dani started.

“Here it comes, the impossible favor.” Luke said dramatically.

“It’s not an impossible favor. I’m not asking you to babysit or anything. I just wanted to invite you to do karaoke with me and Alex in a couple of weeks. I can text you the details.”

“Danielle.” Luke said.

“Don’t go using my first name like that!” Dani laughed. “It will be fun. If you really want, you can drag Carmen along too.” Jade said.

“Fine, whatever. I’ll be there, but I won’t enjoy myself.” Luke said.

“Of course you won’t” Dani said sarcastically. “I’ll talk to you soon. Ciao”

“Bye Dani.” Luke hung up the phone and shook his head. He had a feeling there was more to the karaoke outing than there seemed to be. Dani was plotting something.


It was the evening of Jade’s karaoke outing. Luke was once again working at the office. Noticing the time, he closed out the windows on his computer and shut the machine down. He then gathered and organized the papers on his desk before walking out the door. He was not going to be late for this event. If he played his cards right, Luke hoped he would be able to tip out of the Karaoke bar early. 

Luke walked down the hall, making sure lights were turned off as he went. He was one of the only two people working, the other was Carmen, whom Luke was going to drag out of the office on his way down. He reached the office she shared with another Junior Associated  and tapped on the open door. 

Carmen’s head shot up in shock.

“Hey.” Luke said.

“Yeah?” Carmen asked.

“Are you ready? We should be going if we want to be on time.” Luke said.

Carmen shut down her computer and grabbed her purse from an empty office chair. “I’m not the one who has punctuality issues on a regular basis.” She said sauntering past Luke through the open door. 

Luke rolled his eyes at her insult.

They arrived at their destination with plenty of time to spare. Luke could already tell the small bar was going to be crowded.  A line seemed to be forming close to the entrance.It was not even eight thirty. Carmen and Luke made their way to the front of the line to see what was going on.

“This place seems pretty packed for a karaoke bar.” Carmen noted.

“I agree. I wonder what’s so special about this place.” Luke said.

There was a man wearing a suit holding a list. He looked like he was taking names and checking others off of a list.

“Come on, let’s see if Dani made reservations for us because that looks like the only way we’re going to get in.”  Luke grabbed Carmen’s hand and the two worked their way in front of the gatekeeper.

The man, whom Luke assumed was a bouncer, looked at Carmen and Luke. “Name.” He said simply.

“Ours or the name of the party?” Luke asked.

“Your name. What’s your name.” 

“Luke Carrington and Carmen Medina.” Luke stated.

The man scanned his list and flicked his wrist twice marking the paper. “Go on in.”

Carmen raised her eyebrows, “That was easier than it looked.”

“Yeah.”

The two went inside. It was noisy. Every seat at the bar was taken and every table had people sitting down. The loud music that was playing began to go down in volume. Luke and Carmen looked to the stage.

“Good evening everyone. My name is Hannah Hart and welcome to Hart’s Karaoke Bar! If you’ve been here before, you know the drill. Come sign-up and sing your heart out. First up we have Annabeth and Eli.” The woman said.

A couple walked onto the stage and took the microphones from the stands and they began to sing.

Carmen was looking around the room for Dani and Alex when she spotted another familiar face. At a large table toward the back, Jade was sitting with Cassie and three other people. Jade looked up and caught Carmen’s eye for a moment. Carmen could tell Jade was shocked to see her, but Jade recovered quickly and waved her over.

“Do you see Dani or Alex?” Luke asked.

Carmen shook her head. “No but I bet they’re over there.” She said pointing to the table where Jade was sitting.

Luke followed her finger and snickered. “Of course.” He began walking toward the table.

“What?” Carmen asked struggling to keep up with Luke’s quick pace.

“Nothing, just Dani being Dani.” Luke said.

The two made it over to the group within a few seconds.

“You made it!” Dani said. “And you’re on time too!”

Cassie looked at Luke. She smiled and laughed. Like Luke, she realized what their friends were trying to set up. In addition to Jade, Dani and Cassie, sitting at the table were Alex and Sean.

“I did, and I see that there are more people at this little get together than I assumed there would be.”

As Dani and Luke were talking, Carmen sat down in an empty chair next to Dani.

“Well Luke, you know what they say about assuming don’t you?” Jade asked. Luke could tell she’d already had a few cocktails.

“What is that Jade?” Luke asked sitting down at the end beside Carmen.

“When you assume you make an ass out of you and me.” Jade said.

Luke looked at Cassie when she snorted at her friend’s obvious intoxicated state. Before Luke had a chance to respond, a young waitress with a high blonde ponytail came over to their table.

“Looks like the last of the party has arrived. Can I get you guys any drinks?” The server asked.

“I’ll have a coke.” Luke said.

“Corona.” Carmen said.

The waitress left and the friends began to catch up.

“Dani, is this why you insisted we go to karaoke tonight?” Luke asked. He was slightly amused by Dani’s antics.

“Is what why?” Dani feigned ignorance.

“I think Luke is talking about me and getting us together?” Cassie supplied.

Dani was silent, but Jade was not. “Oh come on. You can’t blame us. You guys would look so cute together!”

Carmen and the rest of the table laughed at Jade’s honest opinion.

“Okay, babe. I think you’ve had enough.” Sean said taking the blended drink from Jade.

Jade gave Sean a death glare as he took her drink away. “I’m not a child.” She said indignantly. “And it’s my birthday.”

Cassie could not help grinning. She had definitely missed drunk Jade while she was away.

“How long have you guys been here?” Carmen asked.

“We got here at eight. She had a couple of drinks at my place before we arrived.” Sean explained.

Carmen nodded her head.

“So it’s your birthday Jade.” Luke said.

Jade smiled wide. “Yes it is. Cassie and I have a tradition. Every year we go to a karaoke bar and just have fun.”

“And no one recognizes you?” Alex asked.

“You’d be surprised at how few people realize Jade’s the one on stage.” Cassie explained. “We do this every year and every year about five people in the crowd recognize Jade.” 

“Do you sing your own songs?” Carmen asked.

Jade turned to Carmen and stared at her intensely. “No. I make a point not to. Cassie, on the other hand, sings her own songs all the time.” 

All of the table occupants, except Luke and Cassie, looked at Jade curiously. They chocked up the statement to her inebriated state.

“You mean Cassie sings your songs right, babe?” Sean asked.

“No, I meant exactly what I said. Cassie sings the songs she wrote, some of them are ‘mine,’” Jade used her fingers to make air quotes. “And some of them other singers have made famous.”

“I don’t understand.” Carmen said. She had been following the conversation, but things were not making sense.

“Cassie is a songwriter.” Luke supplied.

“Was, I was a songwriter. I haven’t written anything in a while.” Cassie said.

“Really?!” Alex said surprised.

“Yeah. Cassie’s the best.” Jade said.

“Wait a minute. Cassie, short for Cassandra?” Sean asked.

“Yeah.” Cassie said.

“You’re Cassandra Mitchell?!!” Sean could not believe his luck. “My agent has been trying to get you for the last ten months. I’ve been wanting to work with you.” 

Cassie took a sip of her drinks and shrugged her shoulders, “Sorry, but I’m kind of out of commission. I’ve retired.” 

“You haven’t retired. You just quit because you think you’ve lost your inspiration or you’re avoiding feelings, or something like that.” Jade said.  She understood that Cassie felt like she was not ready to start writing again, but she did not have to like it. 

Cassie rolled her eyes at the comment. No one said anything for a few minutes. Then a realization hit Dani.

“Luke, how did you know that Cassie was a songwriter?” Dani asked.

Jade looked at Dani and instantly understood her train of thought. 

Luke laughed at Dani’s delayed reaction. “She told me.”

“When?” Dani demanded. She needed more details.

“That was what, almost two months ago after we went to the movie theater.” Luke said looking to Cassie for confirmation.

“That sounds about right.” Cassie said nodding her head.

“You went to out to see a movie together?” Jade smiled and said suggestively.

“Don’t get all excited. I was bored and Luke was there so we hung out. No. Big. Deal.” Cassie said.

Dani and Jade continued to smile deliriously. Cassie, getting annoyed began to get up from the table. “You know what, let me out. I’m going to go sign you up to sing.” Cassie said.

Everyone watched Cassie walk up to the stage where she flipped through the binder full of songs to pick out a song. 

“She signs you up to sing?” Carmen asked Jade.

Jade nodded her head, “every year. She picks the first song, and then I drag her up on stage. She hates it.”

“Then why does she go along with it?” Carmen asked.

“Because she doesn’t really hate it. Cassie loves singing, she just doesn’t like being in the spotlight. So I always have to coax her up on stage for karaoke. You would think this process would get easier with time, it hasn’t.” Jade explained. 

Cassie returned to the table looking smug. She sat down in her seat and took a sip from her drink. Everyone looked at her expectantly, waiting to hear what Jade would sing. 

Sean was the first to speak, “So what is Jade singing?” 

Cassie flicked her eyes from Carmen to Sean and then looked at Jade, “‘Poker Face,’ the acoustic version.”

Jade glared at Cassie. It was not that Jade did not like the song, it was one of her favorites. But she and Cassie had numerous discussions about the song’s meaning. And even if no one else at their table knew the meaning behind the lyrics, Jade knew it was Cassie’s form of payback as well as Cassie’s way of pushing her out of her self protective bubble.

The looks between Cassie and Jade was not lost on Carmen. As she watched the moment transpire between Cassie and Jade, Carmen began to contemplate exactly what was going on.

Sean, oblivious to what had happened, asked a question. “They have the karaoke acoustic version?”

“No. I convinced them to let me accompany Jade on the piano.”

“And you were able to do this how?” Jade asked.

“I told them it was your birthday, and you really wanted to sing your favorite song.” Cassie smiled. Jade saw the slightly devilish glint in her eye.

Before Jade could say anything further, the group on stage finished their song and the owner came up on stage. “Thank you guys for that rendition of  ‘Eye of the Tiger.’ Next up we have a special treat. Jay will be singing ‘Poker Face’ and she will be accompanied on the piano by her friend Cassie. So ladies if you please?’

Cassie and Jade went up on the stage and performed flawlessly. When they were done, the bar erupted into a loud applause. 

“Wow, someone get her a recoding contract.” The owner said before reading off the name of the next karaoke performers.

“Nicely done ladies.” Luke said.

 

“Thank you. We’re here once a year.” Jade joked.

Chapter 12 by carolinaheart
Author's Notes:

I'm sorry I've been AWOL. I have no excuses, just me avoiding what I need to complete. Also I've revised this chapter a bit (me and not being able to count did that. Also I uploaded a chapter i forgot to add (8.0) Next one should be up soon.

The rest of the evening went much like the beginning, with jokes and teasing all around. Everyone at the table took their turn on stage. Overall the night was a success. The friends did not stay too late though. Dani and Alex had to relieve their babysitter. And Carmen, who somehow ended up flirting with the bartender all evening, left shortly after the other woman’s shift ended at midnight. Sean and Jade left together as well, leaving Luke and Cassie the only ones remaining of the party.

“Do you think they did that on purpose?” Luke asked as the two walked side by side toward the exit.

“This time, no. But it was awfully easy for them to do. I still can’t believe Carmen picked up the bar tender tonight.” Cassie said.

“That surprised me too.” Luke laughed. “Can I ask you a question?” 

“Sure.” Cassie said she turned her head to the side to get a better look at Luke.

“What was going on with Jade?”

Cassie turned to Luke, “What do you mean?”

“You’re telling me you didn’t notice Jade eyeing Carmen all night and then staring her down while she was flirting with the bar tender?” Luke asked.

Cassie did not say anything. The truth was she noticed, and she was sure Carmen had too. But she did not realize anyone else had as well. “It’s not really something to talk about here.” Cassie said avoiding the conversation. 

Luke took the hint and let the conversation drop. 

“So are you heading home?” Luke asked instead as he pushed open the door to the bar.  He held the door open allowing Cassie to easily pass by him and walk out the door. 

“Of course. You should come by.” Cassie said.

Letting the door go, Luke raised his eyebrows.

“I found that album we were talking about last week.” Cassie explained.

“Really? Then lead the way.” Luke said. He followed Cassie. She led them down the sidewalk toward the nearest subway stop.

 

Cassie unlocked her apartment door, and Luke followed her inside. She threw her bag by the door and flung her light jacket onto the arm of the couch.

“You can have a seat on the couch. Let me go and get the album.” Cassie instructed.  She disappeared into the back of the apartment. 

Luke took Cassie’s suggestion and sat down. Though the two had spent a good amount of time together in the past couple of months, it was Luke’s first time in her home. They stuck to public meeting places. He almost felt as if he were invading Cassie’s space as he made himself comfortable on her couch. His eyes roamed the room before landing on the coffee table in front of him. Luke noticed a stack of photo albums sitting on top of the furniture. “Are these from your travels abroad?” He asked curiously as he began to flip through the one on top.

When Cassie came back out, she was holding a record in her hand.

“Yeah, I kind of got into taking photos while I was away. There was so much beauty and tragedy that I had to capture it all.” Cassie said as she made her way back into the room.  “And here it is,  The Jackson Five, ’Third Album.’” Cassie said waving the vinyl record back and forth. She walked over to the side table that sat next to her piano. She lifted the top to reveal a record player. Cassie pulled the album out of its protective sleeve and put it on the turn table and started the record to play.

“I still can’t believe you have that.” Luke said in disbelief. In one of their many earlier conversations, Luke mentioned how he enjoyed spending time with his uncle as a child. The man maintained a massive record collection that included the album now playing in Cassie’s apartment.

Cassie smiled. “I stole it from my dad years ago. He has a huge collection that he never listens to. I doubt he even noticed that it’s gone missing” She laughed.

“Kind of like the one I was telling you my uncle had.”

“Yeah, I guess so.” Cassie laughed

“Did you steal anything else of his?” Luke asked. He wondered if Cassie had any other albums that took him back to his childhood.

“The Nat King Cole Christmas album. There’s just something about listening to ‘The Christmas Song’ on the record player during the holidays.” Cassie said. “I’m going to grab something to drink from the kitchen.” She walked through her apartment to her kitchen.

Mixed in with the voices of the Jackson Five were sounds from Cassie opening the refrigerator and her kitchen cabinets. While she was gone, Luke continued to flip through her photo album.

“Do you want anything to drink as well? I have wine.”

Cassie came to the threshold between the living room and the kitchen. Luke looked up. She was holding a bottle of fine red wine in one hand and two empty glasses in the other. 

“No that’s alright.”

“Are you sure? I really don’t have much else. I don’t drink beer. Your other choices are lemonade, apple juice and water.” Cassie explained.

“Water is fine.”

Cassie nodded her head before heading back into the kitchen to pour herself a glass of wine and to fetch Luke bottled water. She came back out and handed the bottle of water to Luke and placed her own glass down on a coaster. 

“These photos are great.” Luke said.

“Thanks, it’s just a hobby.”

“You’re very talented, a songwriter and a photographer.”

Cassie laughed, “I wouldn’t consider myself a photographer. As I said, it’s a hobby. Just something I picked up while seeing the world. I wanted something tangible that I could look at from my adventures, something more than just souvenirs. You know?”

“Did you have any, adventures I mean?” Luke asked. From their previous conversations he had gleaned that her boyfriend’s death closed her off from trying new things. And after a year, Luke could tell Cassie was still not able to completely let go.

Cassie shrugged her shoulders, “A few I guess. I think the whole trip was one big adventure. I started out in London, then headed to Paris, Champagne, Madrid and Barcelona. I got to visit Rome and Milan. And at one point, I managed to find myself in this small Greek town.”

“I imagine you stuck out,” Luke said.

Cassie laughed, “You think?” She sobered up slightly, “I had fun though. Or at least I tried to.” Changing the subject, Cassie pointed to Luke’s now opened bottled water. “Are you sure you don’t want anything else? You should really try this wine.”

“No, I don’t drink.” 

“Oh.” Cassie said. She was not expecting that. Luke was a well-put together person. He was successful—maybe a workaholic—and had friends who, Cassie had come to realize, obviously cared deeply about him. She could not fathom how the man sitting before her could be an alcoholic.

Luke watched her reaction. He could see the wheels turning in her head. “You can ask.”

“What?”

“I know you want to know. Everyone always does, so you can ask.” Luke said.

“I don’t…”

Luke raised an eyebrow.

“Okay, I guess. How long have you…”

“Have I been sober?”

Cassie nodded her head.

“Six years. I take each day one at a time.”

“Can I ask what happened?” 

“What happened that now I’m sober?” Luke asked confused.

“No, I mean what made you start…I think I’m going about this wrong.” Cassie said. She was frustrated. She wanted to know what happened, but she did not want to pry.

“There wasn’t anything that made me start drinking. College and easy access to alcohol, I guess, is where it began. I think it got out of control after law school when I started my first job trying to keep up with the big shots. It got to a point where I was ruining relationships and burning bridges. But somehow I was able to still excel at my job. I didn’t really think there was a problem. Everyone around me drank after work. It’s not uncommon for some of the senior partners to stash a bottle of Scotch in their office. The catalyst, my reason for wanting to get sober, was the end of my engagement. My fiancé left. She couldn’t deal with it anymore.” Luke said.

“I didn’t know.” Cassie said, not really sure what else she could say.

“It’s okay. It’s not something I talk about. The people who’ve known me the longest are really the only ones who know. And I’m truly amazed that they decided to stick around with me through everything. I have the best friends.” 

Luke and Cassie sat in a silence that was a mix between awkward and comfortable. The only sound came from the record player as a new song began. Cassie sipped her wine and Luke started flipping through the photo album again. 

“How did you end up in Iceland last when you went to Europe first?” Luke asked returning to their earlier conversation.

Cassie laughed. “I’m somewhat impulsive.”

“I never would have guessed.” Luke said. “Where were you before Iceland?”

“Germany. I didn’t get a chance to do Germany before I headed to Africa. After Greece it was Egypt, Israel, Kenya and South Africa then back up to Dubai. I then went on to almost every country in South East Asia and then Australia. From Australia it was back to Europe.”

“You did a lot.” 

“I had a year.”

“Did it help?” Luke asked.

“Jade would say nothing has changed with me.”

“What do you think?”

“I don’t know.”

“Maybe it didn’t change things. Maybe your trip was just to put some distance between you and what happened. Maybe it was something to prepare you for whatever’s up next in your life.” Luke suggested.

“And maybe you’re right. But I doubt it.”

“Why is that?”

“Because I don’t know what’s up next in my life.”

“I don’t think you’re supposed to know Cassie. I don’t think anyone ever really knows what’s next. You can’t control life.”

“Don’t you wish you could? Don’t you wish you could control life, control what happens?” Cassie asked. There was a hint of desperation in her questions

Luke shook his head. “No. Then there’d be no mystery to it, no fun.”

“You’re telling me that if you could, you wouldn’t have wanted to control your past, to stop your fiancé from leaving.”

“No.”

“You wouldn’t want to prevent the pain it caused you?” Cassie asked.

“No I wouldn’t. It hurt, yeah, but the pain let’s us know we’re still alive Cassie. Besides, I think everything happens for a reason despite how pointless it all seems.” Luke explained.

“I don’t believe that. I don’t think things happen for a reason; I don’t believe in fate.” Cassie said.

“So you’ve said. But did you ever stop to think that maybe you’re lying to yourself?”

Cassie was quiet. She didn’t have an answer for him. At one time she did believe in fate, in everything happening for one reason or another. She believed in fairytales and happy endings, but then life happened. Things changed. 

Luke stood up, “I should go. I have an early morning.”

Cassie stood up with him. She was not ready for him to leave, but she had no reason for him to stay longer. She enjoyed his company and their conversation to some extent. With Luke around, her apartment felt a little less lonely.

“You always have an early morning. And tomorrow’s Sunday, what could you possibly have to do on Sunday.” Cassie noted as she followed him to the door.

“I’m a busy man.” Luke said as he opened the door and stepped out into the hallway. “The firm’s got an account with a very wealthy client who’s closing on a deal early next week. I’m going through all of the paperwork one last time to make sure everything’s in order. I’m also shifting to a pretty big case that’s heading to trial. So…”

“Right.” Cassie nodded. “I think you’re a workaholic.” Cassie teased.

“Now you’re starting to sound like Dani.” Luke said.

Cassie scrunched up her nose. “Don’t tell me that.” She laughed.

“I’ll call you later this week.” Luke said as he started to go.

Cassie reached out and grabbed Luke’s arm to stop him from leaving. Luke looked at her with his eyebrows raised, questioning her actions. He was not sure what she was doing. 

On impulse, Cassie stood on her toes and pulled his head to hers. Their lips met briefly. Before Luke could really process what was happening it was over.

Cassie pulled away and lowered herself back to her usual height. “Goodnight.” She said as she took a step back and closed her door. 

 

Stupid Cassie, just stupid. She thought to herself as she leaned against the door. 

Chapter 13 by carolinaheart

The morning after Jade’s birthday, Cassie sat on a barstool at her kitchen counter. She held a coffee mug filled with hot chocolate and stared at her front door. On the counter top in front of her was the phone. Cassie briefly stopped glaring at the door so she could look down at the phone. There were no missed calls. 

Stupid, stupid Cassie, she thought to herself. She was mulling over the previous night and her actions. She kissed. She could not explain why she did it exactly. To be fair, Luke was attractive. Cassie never disputed that fact. But she was not ready for anything more than the friendship they developed over the last two months. Cassie laid her head on the counter and groaned. She was startled when the phone rang loud and vibrated violently against the counter. 

Cassie grabbed the phone and answered it with her head still on the counter. “Hello?” 

“Morning Cassie. I didn’t think you’d be up yet.”

“Hi Jade.” Cassie said sitting up.

“You sound excited to hear from me.” Jade teased.

“I saw you last night. And why are you calling this early?”

“I wanted to see how you were doing and I was curious.” Jade said.

“About…”

“You and Luke.”

“Arghhh,” Cassie groaned. “I don’t want to talk about it.”

“You never want to talk about it.” Jade said.

Cassie rolled her eyes. Her friend was right. And Cassie did need a sounding board, but she was not sure she wanted Jade to be that sounding board. But since Cassie returned and effectively pushed most of her other friends away, she was out of options. “Well. We’ve been hanging out and doing things together. It’s not a big deal. I’ve been bored, and you’ve been out of town. And you know I can’t start randomly calling people to hang out after over a year of no contact. Luke was the only viable option.”

“I see.” Jade said. “There is something else isn’t there?” 

“Well…” Cassie began. Sometimes she hated that her best friend knew her so well. Even through the phone the other woman could tell there was more to the story than Cassie was letting on. “I did something stupid last night.”

“You had sex with Luke!”

“Dear god, no.” Cassie said. “Why did you go to that extreme?” Cassie laughed

“Okay then what stupid thing did you do?” Jade asked.

“I kissed him, which is bad enough.”

“Oh.” 

“I don’t know why. He was leaving and I kind of just went for it.” Cassie said.

Jade did not comment. 

Cassie waited for Jade’s reaction. Her leg began to bounce anxiously up and down. “You’re not going to say anything other than, ‘oh’?” Cassie asked.

Jade remained quite on the other side of the line. Cassie could hear noises in the background and the sound of someone else’s voice.

“Jade, where are you?” Cassie asked changing the subject after getting the feeling that wherever Jade was, her best friend was not alone.

“What?” Jade asked. It was obvious she was not paying attention when Cassie asked her  question.

“I said, where are you?” 

“Um…” Jade went quiet. Cassie knew exactly what that meant. As obnoxious as Jade was about Cassie finding someone who deserved her and not running from things, Jade did not follow her own advice. 

“Are you and Sean…Did you… Are you with Sean?” Cassie stuttered.

“Cassie, don’t start. And don’t change the subject. We were talking about you.” Jade said in an attempt to steer the conversation back on track.

“Unbelievable.” Cassie said ignoring the last part of Jade’s statement. “Although I shouldn’t be surprised. He was all over you while you stared down Carmen all of last night.”

“You had to go there didn’t you.” Jade asked.

“I always go there.” Cassie said.

Jade did not respond. Cassie did always go there. The way their friendship worked always had one steering the other forward when it seemed like they were falling behind or remaining stagnate. 

“If you like her then you should do something about it and stop leading Sean on.” Cassie said breaking the silence.

“I don’t even know her.” Jade said honestly. Cassie could tell she sounded defeated. One day, preferably sooner rather than later, Cassie was sure Jade would get tired of hiding and take a step into allowing the world to truly know who she was.

“If you wanted to, you could. I’m sure I could get her number from Luke for  you.” Cassie smiled. She liked turning the tables on Jade.

“Stop trying to play matchmaker.” 

“I’ll stop when  you stop.” Cassie joked.

“I have no idea to what you are referring.” Jade said mockingly.

The two friends laughed at their antics. “The Fourth is in a couple of weeks.” Jade said changing the subject.

“It’s nice of you to point out the obvious.” Cassie joked.

“Ha.Ha. I’ve been invited to a yacht party on the Hudson, I wanted to know if you’d like me to put your name on the list , possibly with a plus one?”

“Actually I have plans already.” Cassie said. “Or at least I hope I still do. I haven’t talked to Luke since last night.”

“So you and Luke have plans. That’s…”

“Don’t start Jade, just don’t. We’re doing a two-hour Revolutionary War tour before heading out to East Hampton with Carmen, Dani and Alex. Alex’s business partner has a vacation house out there that we’re going to use. Apparently Dani will be grilling while Alex watches off to the side.” Cassie explained.

“That sounds kind of boring, Cassie.” Jade said.

“You know how I feel about history.”

“I know, and I’m bored by it, but whatever. Have a good time.” Jade said.

“Will do. I’ll talk to you later. I’m getting ready to head out to the botanical gardens to take some photos.”

“Have fun. I’ll talk to you later.”

Cassie hung up the phone and decided she would try not to worry about her impulsive actions of the night before. Luke was a friend, and she hoped he would understand that it was late, she was tired and she had been drinking. That was the excuse she let herself believe. 


Try as she might, over the next few days, Cassie could not ignore what happened the night of Jade’s get together. Cassie blatantly ignored Luke’s calls; she was not sure how she would explain what happened. She did not know why she did it herself. Since Christian’s death, Cassie had perfected the art of ignoring, or call it suppressing, one’s feelings, and addressing the kiss meant addressing her feelings. Despite Cassie’s reluctance, she did need to talk to Luke. They made plans for the Fourth of July and Cassie was looking forward to those plans, which meant she would have to talk to him sooner rather than later. More specifically, Cassie would have to talk to Luke about what happened in the doorway of her apartment because she was sure he would not let the whole event pass without needing to comment on it.

Cassie was wearing a hole in her living room floor. She walked in circles trying to plan what she was going to say when Luke picked up the phone. With the phone in hand, Cassie tested out a few opening statements, none of which sounded right or reasonable. A knock on the door interrupted her thought process, and her path around the room. She stopped what she was doing and looked to the door. She was not expecting anyone. After a few moments, there was another knock followed by a voice. 

“Cassie, open the door. You can’t keep ignoring me.” Luke said.

Cassie closed her eyes and put her hands to her head. Although she should have, Cassie was not expecting him to show up at her front door. Despite his continued knocking, Cassie did not make a move to let her uninvited guest inside.

“You know Cassie, I was a bit of a devious child, so I know how to pick a lock.” Luke threatened through the locked door.

Cassie sighed in defeat and opened the door. “Hi.” She said.

“Hi to you too. “ 

The two stood face-to-face for a moment. Neither said a word. Tiring of the silence and of standing in the hall Luke spoke first. “Can I come in?” He asked.

Cassie stepped aside to allow him to enter. Luke walked in and then turned to face Cassie. “You’ve been ignoring me.”

“I’ve been busy. I was going to call.” Cassie said. She waved the phone in her hand as proof. “In fact, I was getting ready to call.”

“Of course you were.” Luke said. He took the time to really look at Cassie. He studied her. She looked a bit confused, as if there was something she was trying to figure out, but she could not quite grasp the answer. From the moment Cassie kissed him, Luke knew she was unsure of her actions. And the current confusion on her face was evidence that she was still unsure. Instead of pressing the matter, Luke decided it might be best to just let it go.

“The other night…” Luke began, but Cassie interrupted.

“I’m sorry about that. I don’t know why I… I’m impulsive sometimes. A lot of times. And…” Cassie started to ramble; the words tumbling out of her mouth refused to form a coherent thought.

Luke took a step toward Cassie and placed his hand on her arm. She stopped talking. “Why don’t we just agree it didn’t happen? It was late.” Luke said.

Cassie was stunned. That was something else she was not expecting. She looked into his eyes to see if he was willing to truly pretend the whole thing never happened. “Okay. That’s… yeah. Nothing happened.” Cassie agreed. Luke surprised her, but she was grateful he did. 

“Great.” Luke said. “Now that’s settled how about we go get something to eat and discuss the plan for the Fourth. I still can’t believe I let you talk me into doing a walking historical tour of the city.” 

Luke was trying to lighten the mood and Cassie appreciated that. She smiled and nodded her head. 

“I didn’t have to try to hard before you agreed.” Cassie laughed. “But yeah, we can go get food. I can always eat.” Cassie said. “I just have to get my purse.” Cassie left to get the bag from her room.

Luke waited quietly in the living room. His eyes moved around the apartment taking in anything he may have missed on his previous visit. After three days of having his calls ignored, Luke finally made the decision to confront Cassie face to face. So when he decided to go to Cassie’s apartment, it was not to let her actions go undiscussed. He wanted to know what was going through her head. Their kiss did not upset him. It had quite the opposite effect; it had him thinking.  However, he changed his mind when Cassie opened the door. It was clear that she did not know what was going through her head either. For the sake of their friendship, Luke thought maybe it would be better to just let things stay the way they were, despite the fact that his own feelings for Cassie were growing. 

Luke’s attention was brought back to the moment when he heard the soft sound of Cassie’s sneakered-feet walking into the room. He looked over to where she stood in the doorway of her bedroom. She had stopped to take time to pull her dark brown curls into a messy ponytail. 

“Are you ready?” Cassie asked dropping her arms after completing her task.

“Yeah. I’m ready. Are you?” Luke asked.

 

Cassie tilted her head slightly. She was not sure why, but she felt like Luke was not asking her if she was ready to eat, but if she was ready for something else entirely. Cassie brushed off the feeling. “For food, always.” Cassie responded. She walked across the room and led him out of the door. 

Chapter 14 by carolinaheart

A  week and a half later, on the afternoon of July Fourth, Luke and Cassie met for lunch at a small restaurant on Broadway, which was not too far from where their tour was to start. After lunch, they walked to the gated entrance of City Hall Park where they waited for the tour guide. They were early, which was exactly how Cassie planned it. Cassie did not want to risk being late.

Cassie and Luke sat on a bench as they waited. They watched as more people seemed to converge on the area. Luke looked at Cassie. She was watching two pigeons fighting over a piece of food. 

“Have you done one of these tours before?” Luke asked.

Cassie turned to Luke, “no I haven’t. When I moved up here after college, I was too busy looking for a job and then working the job to really be a tourist. Then I got into writing music and I was traveling a lot, meeting musicians and what not. I guess it’s only now that I’ve really slowed down you know?” Cassie explained.

“Yeah. Sounds like you’re a bit of a workaholic too.” Luke laughed.

Cassie threw her head back. “Ohh no. Nowhere near as bad as you, Mr. I’ve Got Work To Do On Sunday. It was hard to stay afloat when I first got here. I didn’t have the best paying job.”

“Then why’d you move?” Luke asked. “I’m sure you could have found a better paying job in North Carolina, or anywhere really.”

“I guess, but it’s the city—a real city. It’s not like Charlotte or Atlanta. It’s New York. And I wanted a change. I grew up in the South; I needed something new. Besides, I don’t think I would have become a songwriter had I stayed in North Carolina.”

“So fate brought you to New York.” Luke said.

“We’re not going back to this are we?” Cassie laughed. “I thought we were over this.”

“It was just an observation.”

Cassie rolled her eyes. “Observation my ass.” She muttered. 

A man wearing a vest and holding a clipboard walked up. People began to coalesce around him. Cassie took notice and stood.

 “I think this is us. Come on, Luke.” Cassie said. She grabbed his hands, leaned back, and pulled him up.

After the tour, Cassie and Luke had just enough time to catch their bus to East Hampton. They sent their overnight bags with Carmen, who did not want to join them on the tour and took an earlier bus out. For most of the three hour ride, Cassie slept and Luke reviewed case files from work. The bus arrived only a few minutes later than scheduled. When Cassie and Luke got off, they spotted Dani. She was leaning on a car holding her one-year-old son AJ.

“Cassie, there’s Dani.” Luke said walking toward the car. Cassie followed closely behind. 

“So you got here on time. I credit Cassie with that achievement.” Dani called as the pair made their way over to her vehicle.

“Why, thank you.” Cassie laughed. 

Luke smiled. “Yeah, yeah. Aren’t you supposed to be grilling?”

As they approached Dani, Cassie could see AJ bouncing in Dani’s arm and clapping his hands. When Luke was close enough, AJ reached for the familiar figure. Luke took AJ with ease and Dani smiled. 

“Carmen is watching things while I’m gone. Alex was putting the finishing  touches on his side dishes.” Dani explained. “I’m surprised he recognizes you.” She pointed to Luke. “You haven’t been around much lately.” 

“You’ll always remember me won’t you buddy?” Luke said. AJ Giggled and placed his hand on either side of Luke’s face.

Cassie smiled and walked around to the passenger’s seat, “I’ll sit up front so the two of you can bond.” She opened the door and put her purse on the floor.

“That sounds like a good idea. You can strap AJ in his carseat as well.” Dani said opening her own door. 

Luke looked at the two ladies and laughed. “Oh, I see how it is.” Luke used his free hand to open the door to the backseat. After easily buckling AJ into his carseat, Luke situated himself in the backseat as well. Dani pulled off into the Fourth of July traffic and drove the group to the beach house where they were staying. 

The car came to a stop in the driveway of a large house. Cassie got out and surveyed the area. She could smell the ocean air and hear the waves crashing on the beach. It was a beautiful day. And they were staying at a beautiful house. When Luke first invited Cassie along for the holiday, he told her the house had four bedrooms and could sleep eight. But that was all he said. Luke never mentioned that the house where they were staying was reminiscent of a European Chateau. 

“It’s a nice house isn’t it.” Dani said.

“Yeah it’s gorgeous. You guys spend the Fourth of July out here every year?” Cassie asked.

“Almost. Corbin, Alex’s business partner, owns a number of other restaurants as well. It also doesn’t hurt that his family is considered Old Money.” Dani explained. “This year he and his wife decided to spend the summer in Europe. It’s their fifth anniversary, so he wanted to do something special.”

“Must be nice to have friends in high places.” Cassie said as she  walked with Dani up the stairs of the house. Luke followed with AJ in tow. 

“This coming from the woman whose best friend is a five-time Grammy award winner.” Dani laughed.

“Jade may be rich and famous, but she’s still really down to earth. I don’t know if you’ve got that vibe from her. She travels all the time for work, but for the most part she tries to live a fairly simple lifestyle, at least simple for a musical superstar.” Cassie said.

Dani opened the door and held it open for Luke and Cassie. 

“I see.” Dani said.

As the trio and AJ walked into the living area, Alex came out of the kitchen. 

“Glad to see you were able to make it, and that you didn’t miss your bus.” Alex said.

“We were pushing it kind of close after the tour, I told Luke we could just take the next bus when we were planning this all out, but he insisted on the 3:30.” Cassie said sitting down in one of the wood-framed chairs. 

Luke sat down in the chair next to Cassie and placed AJ, feet first, on the ground. The toddler began to waddle toward a pile of toys in the corner of the room. 

“What can I say, I like to live dangerously.” Luke joked. 

“U-huh.” Cassie said.

“I’m going to check on Carmen, make sure she didn’t burn my meat.” Dani said exiting through the glass sliding doors directly opposite the main entrance.

Alex joined Cassie and Luke sitting down. “How was the tour? I’ve really wanted to do one, but I haven’t been able to find the time.”

“It was interesting.” Cassie said.

“It was long.” Luke supplied.

“Oh, come on. You know you enjoyed the tour as much as I did. You should have seen him Alex. His eyes would light up every time the guide mentioned something he found interesting. He was like a big kid.” Cassie teased.

“My eyes did not ‘light up.’” Luke said.

“It’s so cute that you think that.” Cassie laughed. “I don’t know why you can’t admit you enjoyed yourself.”

“We walked around for two hours, two hours.” Luke said holding up two of his fingers to further emphasize the point.

Alex laughed at Cassie and Luke’s banter. To him, it felt right, watching his new friend and one of his oldest friends interact with each other. 

Before their conversation could go any further, the sliding doors opened. Carmen walked in with an empty beer bottle in one hand and one bottle that was half full. 

“Hey.” Luke said. “I heard you were on grill duty. How’d that go?” Luke asked with a knowing smile. Luke stood in for Dani at the grill once before and he decided then to never do it again.

Carmen glared at the group before storming off into the kitchen. When she came back, she had a fresh beer in hand. “That woman…now I see why you concede the grilling to your wife Alex.” Carmen said plopping down on the couch next to Alex. AJ looked up at the new occupant before going back to his toys. 

“What happened?” Cassie asked.

“I thought I was doing a decent job. And his wife,” Carmen said pointing to Alex, “came out and said I was doing it wrong. The thing is she gave me detailed instructions before she left, which I followed to the letter, and she comes back and says I’m doing it wrong. How hard is it to flip a freaking piece of chicken and slather some sauce on it? Why didn’t I volunteer to pick you guys up instead?”

“Wow. I didn’t know grilling was so intense.” Cassie said.

“It’s not. Dani just is really obsessed about it.” Luke said.

“A little too obsessed.” Carmen said taking a swig  of her beer.

“What are the plans for the evening?” Luke asked changing the subject.

“Dinner, and then hanging out on the beach to watch the fireworks. Not much planned after that.” Alex said. He stood up and walked over to where his son was playing on the floor. “I’m going to see if this guy needs to be changed.” Alex picked up AJ and walked to one of the rooms toward the back of the house.

“So what’s Jade doing today?” Luke asked. “You should have invited her out.”

Carmen perked up slightly at the mention of Jade’s name.

“She got invited to a private Yacht party on the Hudson. She tried to get me to go.”

“Why didn’t you? It sounds like fun.” Carmen asked.

Cassie shrugged her shoulders, “I already had plans.”

“To do a walking tour of New York and then to come out here and watch fireworks from the beach. The party sounds more entertaining to me.” Carmen said.

“I’ve been wanting to do one of those tours for a while now. Also, I hate canceling plans at the last minute.” Cassie said. “Besides, I’m sure Luke would have been devastated if he didn’t get a chance to go on the tour.” Cassie said sarcastically.

“You think you’re funny don’t you.” Luke said.

“I’m a riot.” Cassie smiled.

“I’m going to get something to drink. Would you ladies like anything?” Luke said standing.

“Just water.” Cassie said.

“Same.” Carmen replied.

Luke nodded and went into the kitchen.

“Oh, before I forget, I put your bag in the room across from mine.” Carmen said. “It’s just up the stairs.”

“Thanks for bringing my stuff.” Cassie said.

“It wasn’t a problem. It just made sense. Especially since the two of you were getting on a bus as soon as you finished the tour.” Carmen said. “How is the foundation stuff going?”

“Pretty well. I almost have everything planned. The venue is booked, Alex is catering, and Jade and Sean are working on music. It’s going to be a formal halloween event, but we are also going to have a couple of artists perform as well.” Cassie explained. “What about you? How’s work going?”

“It’s going good. I have my last review next month as a junior associate. I’m fairly confident I’ll be promoted to a full associate at that point. We’ve been pretty busy too. I’ve been working on a pretty big case with Luke. If things go well with this, he’ll make partner for sure.”

“That sounds pretty exciting.”

“It is.” Carmen said. There was a slight lapse in conversation. Cassie stared out one of the large floor-to-ceiling windows while Carmen scratched at the etchings on her close-to-empty beer bottle.

“Can I ask you a question?” Carmen said.

Cassie looked to Carmen. “Go for it.” She said.

“The other week, at Jade’s birthday party, she was kind of staring me down.” 

“Really?” Cassie asked, feigning  incredulousness. 

“You didn’t notice? I thought it was kind of obvious.” Carmen said slightly defeated. She shook her head. “Maybe it was just all in my head. I’ve been a huge fan for years.” Carmen explained. “It probably sounds really stupid, but she’s my celebrity crush. And now that I know her…I don’t know. I guess I’m just projecting.” Carmen said.

Cassie nodded her head not sure exactly how to respond to Carmen’s confession. So instead of addressing the situation with Jade, Cassie asked about the bartender instead. “I’m curious, what happened with the bartender?”

Carmen smiled. “It was a really, really good night. Her name was Mila and I’ve actually hung out with her a couple of times since then. But I really don’t think that’s going anywhere. She’s good for a good time.”

“I see.” 

Before Cassie could say anything more, Luke returned from the kitchen with a bowl of chips and three bottles of water. “Here you are ladies.” He placed the bowl on the coffee table and then handed each of his friends a bottle of water.

Shortly after that, Dani came inside. “Where are my boys?” Dani asked looking around.

Alex walked into the room carrying AJ. “Here we are. Is the food ready?” 

“Yeah. I put the food from the grill on the table outside. Why don’t you guys grab the sides from the kitchen.” Dani suggested.

Carmen and Cassie stood and retrieved the aforementioned food, while Luke brought the bowl of chips he was eating outside onto the back deck. Dani and Alex, who was still holding AJ, followed Luke outside.

The back of the house had a view of the ocean and an access point to a private beach. Alex sat down at the table and placed AJ in his lap. Dani sat in a chair next to them. She grabbed a paper plate from the center of the table and began to add meat from the platter. Luke sat down in one of the chairs across from the family. He watched as Dani made a plate and Alex tried to hold AJ back from climbing onto the table. Alex said something and Dani laughed. The sliding door opened and the other members of their little group emerged holding bowls of food.

“You could have helped.” Cassie said to Luke.

“I brought the chips out, see.” Luke said pointing to the bowl.

Carmen shook her head. “Yes that was so helpful.” She said sarcastically. Carmen and Cassie placed the food on the tables and joined Alex, Dani and Luke at the table. 

After dinner, they went down to the beach and watched the fireworks explode over the water. An overly rambunctious AJ ran between the adults. He finally settled down on Luke’s lap, where he eventually fell asleep leaning against Luke’s chest. Cassie glanced at her friends. Dani was resting her head on Alex’s shoulder while Carmen was splayed out on the beach. Luke sat next to Cassie gently holding onto the sleeping toddler. 

Chapter 15 by carolinaheart

The following morning Cassie awoke early. She looked around the large room from the queen-size bed on which she slept. It was still somewhat dark outside. Cassie rolled out of bed and walked over to the sliding door. Her room had a balcony with a view of the ocean. Hugging her torso, Cassie looked out of the window. The sun was just beginning to make its appearance over the water. She took a deep breath before walking over to the bed to straighten up the comforter. 

After fixing the bed, Cassie slowly opened the door to her room; the house was still quiet. She walked through the hallway and down the stairs. She tried not to make the wood floors creak too much as she made her way through the house. In the kitchen, Cassie looked around and took stock of the remaining food. 

Luke leaned against the doorway to the kitchen. He watched Cassie move around the room. She was looking in the refrigerator with one hand on the door’s handle and her body bent forward as she reached for something on a lower shelf. Luke decided to make himself know.

“What are you doing?’ Luke asked.

Cassie jumped at the sound of Luke’s voice. She quickly turned around almost dropping the eggs she held in her hands. “Damn-it Luke. You scared the shit out of me.”

Luke laughed at Cassie’s reaction. “I’m sorry. I heard you moving around upstairs and decided to see what you were doing.”

Cassie nodded her head and walked over to the table where other food items sat. She placed the eggs next to a large mixing bowl. “And why are you up so early?” Cassie asked ignoring Luke’s original question.

“I was looking over some things.” Luke said. 

“For work?” Cassie asked.

“Yes for work.” 

Luke pulled away from the doorframe and walked over to where Cassie had begun to crack eggs into a bowl.

“Are you going to tell me what you’re doing?” Luke asked.

“I’m making breakfast. Since Carmen, Alex, and Dani made dinner yesterday, I thought I’d make something out of the remaining food.” Cassie explained.

“I see. So what are you making with eggs, milk, and hotdog buns?” Luke asked picking up one of the four packets of buns.

“It’s a french toast casserole.” Cassie said. “Since you’re here, you can help by cutting the bread up into smaller pieces and putting it in the glassware over there.” She pointed to a 13x9 inch glass dish sitting off to the side. 

“Right.” Luke said. Before starting his task, he went over to the sink to wash his hands.

The two worked in a comfortable silence for a few minutes. Each focused on their task. 

“So,” began Luke. “Has your Fourth of July been all you thought it would be?” 

Cassie shrugged her shoulders. “I just wanted it to be fun and have a good time. I think I’ve achieved that.”

“That’s good to hear.”

“It’s nice having new friends. I don’t want to think about what my holiday would have looked life if I weren’t here with you guys.” Cassie admitted.

“What do you mean? I thought Jade invited you to a yacht party.” Luke said.

“She did, and I’m not sure if I would have gone or not. I really didn’t want to be the third wheel with her and Sean.” Cassie rolled her eyes once more at the thought of spending an extended period of time with Jade and her newest distraction.

“I take it you’re not Sean’s biggest fan.” Luke said.

“It’s not that. He’s a nice enough guy. I don’t have anything against him…” Cassie said adding milk to the eggs. She then picked up a whisk and began to beat the egg and milk mixture.

“I sense there is a but in there somewhere.” Luke said tossing another halved bun into the dish ware. 

“There is no but.” Cassie insisted.

Luke stared at Cassie for a few moments before she looked up from the bowl.

“Fine. I don’t like Sean with Jade.”

“So they are an item then?” Luke asked.

“You were at her birthday get together. What do you think?”

“You want my honest opinion?” Luke asked.

“I wouldn’t want you to lie.” Cassie said.

“Sean seemed more into Jade than she was into him.”

Cassie laughed bitterly. “She’s not a great actress is she?” She began to vigorously whip her wrist around in an attempt to beat the eggs harder.

“I take it there is something I’m missing?” Luke asked.

“No there’s nothing you’re missing.” Cassie said. She stopped what she was doing and allowed the whisk she was using to fall against the glass bowl. “Are you done?” 

Luke stared at Cassie. He knew she wanted to say more, but she was holding back. He decided, as he so often did, not to push. “Yeah. All done.” In the time they spent talking, Luke had successfully cut up all of the bread as he was instructed to do. 

“Great. Watch out.” Cassie said as she walked, with mixing bowl in hand, over to where he was standing. Luke moved out of the way and Cassie poured the egg mixture into the glass dish over the hot dog bun pieces. 

“What’s next?” Luke asked. He watched as Cassie opened the oven and put the casserole into the oven.

“How are you at washing dishes?” Cassie asked.


Dani walked toward the kitchen with a semi-awake AJ on her hip. She heard the soft clanking of dishes and the smell of cinnamon was making its way through the house. When she got to the doorway, Dani stopped. She watched Luke and Cassie work together as they cleaned up a small mess. Their backs were to Dani, so she stood in the doorway and continued to spy on her best friend. They worked well together and seemed to anticipate each other’s next move. Dani could only be an unknown observer for so long; AJ was beginning to get fussy. She shifted her son to her other hip and walked into the room.

“You two are up early.” Dani said as she walked over to the refrigerator.

Cassie spun around at the sound of Dani’s voice. She was not expecting someone else to be awake.

“It’s not that early.” Luke said turning around in a much more calm and controlled manner than Cassie. He placed the drying towel he was using next to him as he leaned against the counter.

“It’s early for the day after a holiday.” Dani said. Having retrieved a bottle from the refrigerator she proceeded to shake it up in her free hand. 

“I just thought I’d treat you guys to breakfast as a thank-you for inviting me along to crash your party.” Cassie said.

“We loved having you here.” Dani said. She placed the bottle on the counter and turned on the faucet of the single sink beside the refrigerator. “So what did you make?” 

“A French toast casserole.” Cassie said. “It seemed like the best way to use up those hot dog buns.”

“That was smart.” Dani said. “We would have just put them in the freezer once we got home. I’m sure Alex would have used them eventually, but I like your idea better.” Dani turned her attention to Luke while adjusting a squirming AJ. “And you are up because?” 

“I was helping Cassie. She needed my expertise in cutting hot dog buns into bite sized pieces.” Luke said. He walked over to where Dani stood and held his hands out to AJ. The toddler eagerly threw his body toward Luke.

Dani smiled at Luke, “thanks. That will make getting his bottle ready so much easier.” Dani said.

“Not a problem. Right little guy?” Luke said. He became engrossed with entertaining AJ, lifting him up into the air as the little boy giggled profusely and then bringing him back down. 

Cassie smiled at the interaction between Luke and AJ. It was hard not to. Luke was good with the toddler. Cassie was not sure why, but she was fascinated by that. 

It did not go unnoticed by Dani that Cassie was watching an oblivious Luke play with her son. Their conversation stopped the moment Luke took AJ into his arms to keep the child busy while Dani fixed a bottle. Dani wondered what was going through Cassie’s head.

Cassie shook her head to get out of her thoughts. “Back to the original conversation.” Cassie said. “I did not need his ‘expertise.’ He offered to help, and there’s really only so much work to be done with this casserole.” 

“I understand. I’m sure it’s going to taste great.” Dani placed her hand under the still running water before retrieving the bottle from the counter and moving it back and forth under the stream from the faucet. She placed the bottle on the counter in front of Luke. He picked it up and gave it to AJ who immediately put the nipple into his mouth.

Dani looked at Cassie who was once again staring at Luke and AJ, only it seemed she was in her own world and not truly focused on the pair. Luke left the kitchen with AJ still in his arms and Dani watched as he took her son outside on the porch. After the sliding door closed, Dani turned back to Cassie.

“Hey.” Dani said.

Cassie blinked a few times before focusing on Dani.

“Where’d you go?” Dani asked.

Cassie shrugged. “Nowhere in particular.”

Dani tilted her head to the side. “Do you want kids?” 

“That’s a bit random.” Cassie said.

“Not really. I see how you look at AJ.” Dani said. What she did not say was that she had seen how Cassie looked when Luke interacted with AJ.

“I did, once. I dreamed of a house and picket fences and kids, but not now, not anymore. I don’t know if I still do, want kids that is. I haven’t really thought about it.” Cassie said.

Dani nodded her head. “So what changed?” She asked. Dani knew something major had happened to Cassie. She learned that from Jade. But she often wondered what event could seemingly change someone so completely. 

“My boyfriend died, or ex-boyfriend or… What do you call the person who died the same night you broke up with them?” Cassie said.

“I don’t know.” Dani said. Things were beginning to make sense. 

“For so long I saw a future, my future with him. Then things ended; he died. Everything I thought I knew, thought I wanted it just…” Cassie stopped abruptly. “I need to check the casserole.”

“Cassie.” Dani said. She did not know what to say, but she knew it was probably best to keep Cassie talking, to have her confront the things she seemed to be running away from.

“I think it’s done.” Cassie said ignoring Dani. She reached for pot holders and pulled the dish out of the oven. “Why don’t you go let everyone know breakfast is ready.” 

“Right.” Dani said. She did not have a choice; Dani could tell Cassie had closed up again. She left Cassie alone in the kitchen.

After Dani’s departure, Cassie let out a breath she did not know she was holding. Once again, she said more than she meant to say. The holiday was perfect, up until then. Cassie had enjoyed her time at the beach with her friends, but the conversation she was about to embark on was not one she felt she was ready to have. 

 

Shortly after Dani left, she returned with the rest of their party. They ate breakfast, cleaned up the house and packed to head home. It was time to get back to the real world.

Chapter 16 by carolinaheart

A week after the Fourth of July Luke was sitting in a cafe with his client, a representative from a major pharmaceutical company. Occasionally, Luke worked cases not explicitly within his specialty, and this was one of them. In his time at the firm, he became known as a talented litigator. As a result, the higher-ups felt it necessary to ensure that Luke continued to hone that skill. Luke, however, hated working these cases, they often made him question why he chose to work for a large law firm in the first place. He often reminded himself that the pro bono cases he worked balanced out the less savory cases, but this was one of those times he just was not convinced. Luke attempted to settle the case out of court; he knew the plaintiffs had a reasonable case. His client, on the other hand, refused. They felt their case was winnable. 

They were waiting on a verdict. Closing arguments were complete just after ten am. Luke and his client decided to wait in a cafe just down the block from the courthouse while his team remained. Luke looked at the woman who sat in court as his client’s representative. She was busy on her smartphone; Luke assumed she was reading email. He took out his own phone and pretended to be working. He stared aimlessly as he thought about the potential outcomes of the case. If they won, it would be another notch  in his belt and a definite signal that his promotion was coming at the end of the year. If they lost, Luke would feel a little better about the situation. He was conflicted. 

Luke was startled when the phone in his hand vibrated. The jury had reached a verdict.

“Nia,” Luke said getting the attention of the woman who was sitting with him.

Nia looked up from what she was doing.

“The verdict is in.” Luke said. Nia rose as well. The two walked out into the summer sun and headed back to the courthouse. 

The trial was over and the jury found in favor of Luke’s client. As they walked out of the courtroom, he looked over to the families who brought the suit against his client. They were devastated. One man looked up and caught Luke’s eye. The hatred flowing from him made Luke shudder. He then looked to the Junior Associates who were also on the case. They were smiling and chatting as if the people across the room did not just have the rug pulled from under him. Luke shook his head as he walked out of the courtroom. He made his way down the hall, through the main doors and down the steps of the courthouse. He was almost home free. Luke planned on going back to the office to start working on paperwork for another client. Nia stopped him in his tracks.

“Luke!” Nia called, she was hopping down the steps. She stopped when she caught up with him. “You did good work in there.” She said smiling.

Luke nodded his head. “I was just doing my job. Is there something else you needed?” 

“I’ll say. You did one hell of a job. This could have been really bad for my company. My boss and a couple of your bosses as well, would like to take you out for lunch. I’ve already called ahead. Everyone will meet us at the restaurant. “ Nia said. 

Luke and Nia arrived at the restaurant before the rest of their group. Luke looked around as the hostess led them back to their tables. It was a restaurant he had yet to try. It was nice. There were a decent number of people around making up the lunch crowd. The diners were all executive types, Luke could tell from the way they were dressed and how their phones sat out on the table in case they needed to be reached. 

The pair were led to a private dining area. Luke was confused, surely there were only going to be a few others joining them. Not enough to warrant a secluded area. 

“Here you are. I’ll send the rest of your party back when they arrive.” The hostess said.

“Thank you.” Nia said. She placed her bag over the arm of her chair before sitting down. “This really is a great place.” 

“I haven’t had the opportunity to dine here.”

“You’re in for a treat. They have an inventory of forty-year-old Scotch that is beyond anything I’ve ever tasted.” Nia said.

Luke smirked, “I didn’t take you for a Scotch drinker.”

“I know how to play with the big boys.” Nia laughed.

“I don’t doubt that.” Luke said.

When a waiter came in, Nia ordered a bottle of the aforementioned Scotch for the table. The waiter looked to Luke who simply shook his head. After which, the server took his leave.

“That seems a little excessive.” Luke said.

“The Scotch?” Nia asked. “We’re celebrating. This was a really big win.”

The server returned with a tray, on which sat the bottle and tumblers. He place the tray in the middle of the table and then left. Nia took the bottle and one of the tumblers in hand and poured a glass. She offered it to Luke.

“You really should try this.” Nia said.

“No thank-you. I’m going back to the office after this.” Luke said.

“Suit yourself.” Nia took a swig of the amber liquid and smiled. 

Luke heard the familiar voices of a couple of the partners mixed with a few he did not recognize. A group of three gentlemen and two women joined Nia and Luke at the table.

“Luke, congratulations on the win today.” One of the women said. She sat down in an empty chair next to Luke. “You really did us proud.”

“I was just doing my job Marla.” Luke said to the woman, she was the only female Senior Partner with a controlling share at the firm.

“Don’t be modest.” Said one of the men Luke did not know but recognized from a previous meeting. “You saved our company money. Something we like to do on a regular basis.” He laughed. He then turned to Nia, “You ordered the Scotch?”

“Yes Jim, I ordered the scotch.” Nia said.

“Good girl.” Jim responded.

Luke looked at Nia who, he could tell, was resisting the urge to roll her eyes at the older gentleman’s comment.

“Have you tried this yet Luke?” Jim asked.

“No, I’m going into the office after lunch.” Luke said.

“Oh come on Luke, don’t be daft. You’ve got the rest of the day off.” Henry said. He was the other Senior Partner from the firm joining them. Henry grabbed two tumblers from the tray and poured a glass for himself and offered the other to Luke. “Come on Luke. You won a huge case and deserve to live a little.”

Luke reluctantly took the glass from his boss. He stared at the amber liquid in the glass for a moment before bringing the tumbler to his lips. The first sip was a glorious old familiar feeling. He felt the cold liquid burn as it went down his throat. Luke had always liked the way the contradiction felt. He quickly finished his serving.

“What did I tell you it’s good right?” Nia said pouring Luke another glass.

 


In Cassie’s quest to find tasks to fill up her empty days since her return, she decided she would visit every whole-in-the-wall restaurant she stumbled upon while going about her everyday life. The week after the Fourth of July she found quite a few new eateries to try. When she informed Luke of her plans, he offered to accompany her to some of the venues. He was always up for trying new food. For that reason, Cassie  was attempting to reach Luke. 

It was late in the afternoon and Cassie wanted to catch him before he made plans to work late or made other arrangements for dinner. She tried his cell phone and got no answer. She then called his office phone. His secretary informed Cassie that Luke had been out since he left for court earlier in the day. She also let Cassie know that he should be back in the office soon. So Cassie waited another hour before trying again. With the same results, Cassie decided she would give Carmen a call.

“Hey Cassie.” Carmen said.

“Hi. I’m looking for Luke. His secretary said he was in court earlier but that he should be back soon; that was an hour ago. I tried his cell, but he didn’t answer. Have you heard from him?” Cassie asked slightly concerned. 

“No I haven’t. I know he won the case though. I heard some of the Senior Partners talking about it on their way out. They also mentioned going to a restaurant to celebrate. It was some really nice expensive place that wasn’t too far from the courthouse, but they’re back now.” 

“Do you remember the name of the place?” Cassie asked. She could not explain why, but she had a bad feeling about the situation.

“No, sorry.” Carmen said.

“That’s okay. I’m going to see if I can find the restaurant you’re talking about.” Cassie said.

“You’ll text me if you find him right?” Carmen said. She had picked up on Cassie’s worry and was beginning to get concerned too. It was not like Luke to disappear and not answer his cell phone.

“Of course. I’ll talk to you later.” Cassie said hanging up the phone.

Sitting in her apartment, Cassie tried to think of where Luke could be. She figured the best thing to do first was find the restaurant he was supposed to have lunch at and work her way back from there. Cassie picked up her purse and headed out the door. When she got outside of her apartment building, she walked down the block and took the subway to the courthouse.

Cassie stood on the sidewalk looking around and surveying the buildings. Nothing stood out to her. She rarely spent any time in this part of the city. Cassie spotted a man with an expensive looking suit walk out of what looked like a restaurant. On a whim, Cassie decided she would start there. 

When she walked in, Cassie noticed that the dining room was fairly empty. The lunch crowd was gone as it was reaching two thirty in the afternoon.  She scanned the area and spotted the bar. Sitting on a stool was a man who, Cassie determined, could possibly be Luke. Determined, she walked across the dining room to the bar and tapped the man on the shoulder. 

He did not know how long he had been sitting there. The Senior Partners and his client had left long ago. After they finished the bottle of Scotch, Luke switched to something more affordable. Vodka had always been his drink of choice. He now sat at the bar alone. But he did not notice the fact he was the only one there. Luke spun around when he felt a light tap on his shoulder. That was a bad idea as he nearly fell off of the stool and the world started spinning. 

“Luke?” 

He knew that voice. Luke waited a minute to regain his balance and looked up. “Cassie? What are you doing here?” He asked.

Cassie was taken aback. Luke was drunk in the middle of the day. That was not good, considering he was six years sober. She hoped the surprise did not show on her face as she took hold of his arm and helped steady him on his seat.

“I could ask you the same thing.” Cassie said. She noticed the half empty glass in front of Luke. Without thinking, Cassie pulled the glass toward her. 

“Celebrating. Isn’t that obvious?” Luke said. He did not notice his glass had been moved so when he reached for it, his hand hit the empty spot on the bar. “Where’d my…” Luke looked around confused. He then spotted the glass in Cassie’s hand. He tried to reach for it, but she pulled it further away.

“No sir. You are done.” Cassie said. She waved the brown-haired female bartender over.

“Can I help you with something?” The woman asked.

“Yeah. You can take this away.” Cassie said handing the unfinished glass to her. “And you can close out his tab.” 

The bartender came back with Luke’s card and the bill for him to sign. Luke looked down at the piece of paper and then at Cassie.

“You closed out my tab?” Luke said incredulously.

“Yeah. Sign that. I’m taking you home.” Cassie instructed.

Luke scribbled his name on the paper and pocketed his credit card. He stood from the stool and instantly reached for the bar counter to steady himself.

Cassie grabbed his arm in an effort to support him.

“I’m capable of standing on my own.” Luke slurred.

Cassie shook her head. “No, not right now you’re not. Come on.” Cassie guided Luke out of the restaurant and onto the sidewalk where she hailed a cab. 

Chapter 17 by carolinaheart

When the taxi stopped at Luke’s building, Cassie got out of the vehicle. She grabbed both her purse and Luke’s briefcase; she wanted to make sure he did not forget it. Cassie walked around to Luke’s side of the vehicle to find him struggling to get out of the car. After he finally managed to make his exit, Cassie paid the driver. 

Cassie could tell that the ride through the city somewhat helped Luke sober up. He was able to walk more steadily than he had coming out of the restaurant. However, after a couple of steps he stumbled a little. Cassie grabbed his arm to steady him. When she was confident that Luke was not going to fall over, Cassie hooked her own arm through his so it looked as if Luke was escorting her and less like she was helping the struggling man to walk. 

They walked into the building and through the lobby to the elevator. The security guard smiled and waved at Luke as the pair passed. Luke nodded his head in acknowledgment. When they made it through the elevator doors, Cassie silently sighed relieved. No one else joined them on their ride up, which was not too much of a surprise as it was still only three thirty. 

Luke leaned against the elevator walls and closed his eyes. “Fourteenth floor, my apartment is on the fourteenth floor.”

Cassie pressed the number. 

After a moment of silence, Luke rolled his head on the wall to look at Cassie. He stared at her for a few seconds, long enough for Cassie’s mind to wander. 

“You are beautiful.” Luke said suddenly.

Cassie was startled by the random outburst. She smiled. “Yeah, thanks. You’re drunk.”

“Doesn’t change the fact that you’re really, really beautiful.” Luke slurred.

“That’s really, really nice to know. But you are drunk.” Cassie said mocking her friend.

When they reached Luke’s floor, he somehow managed to pull his keys out of his pocket without dropping them. He led the way to his apartment. As the walked down the hall he turned to Cassie to reiterate his earlier statement.

“You don’t believe me.” Luke said somewhat offended.

They reached Luke’s apartment and he struggled to unlock the door. 

“I believe you’re drunk.” Cassie stated.

After finally unlocking the door, Luke opened it wide.

“Welcome to my abode…” Luke said before stumbling in over the threshold. 

Cassie followed Luke placing both her purse and his briefcase by the door. She watched as Luke disappeared into what she assumed was his room. 

Looking around, Cassie took in her surroundings. It was the first time she had the chance to see Luke’s home. It felt less like a home and more like a sterile hotel suite. The walls were white and the furniture was tan. There was very little color.  The layout of the apartment was open with few walls separating the main rooms. From the front door she could see everything except the bed. There were very few elements that made the space ‘homey.’ She noticed a few pictures in frames, but that was it. His living room furniture looked as if he ordered it from a catalog and had it delivered as is. There was no additional effort put into the arrangement. 

Cassie sat down in one of the living room chairs. It was stiff. When Luke did not return from the back after five minutes, Cassie went to check on him. He was on the bed still fully dressed in his suit-pants and tie—he managed to work his way out of his jacket, which was in a heap by the door. Cassie picked up the discarded clothing and opened what she assumed was the closet door. Her Guess was correct, inside were a myriad of expensive suits on hangers. She found an empty hanger and hung the jacket in the closet. 

When she was finished in Luke’s room, Cassie closed the door and sat on the sofa. Directly across from Luke’s room was a shelf lined with movies. Not wanting to leave him alone, Cassie decided to stay until he awoke. She determined that watching one of his many movies would help the time go faster. 

As she perused Luke’s collection, Cassie got a feel for his taste in movies. There were a number of thriller movies and a whole shelf dedicated to James Bond. After deciding on an action movie, Cassie went over to the entertainment center to set up everything. She found the remote to the television sitting on a side table. After a couple of tries, she managed to do something right because the television came on and all the lights on the numerous electronic devices flickered to life. She spotted the Blue Ray player and placed the disc into the console.

The sun is gone, was Luke’s first thought when he awoke from his nap. His second was of the pounding in his head which felt like a man inside was trying to break out using a sledgehammer. While a familiar feeling, it was one Luke had not felt in many years. He groaned and turned his head. Staring him in the face was a glass of water and a bottle of aspirin. He silently thanked whoever it was that was thoughtful enough to leave the two necessities on his nightstand. 

Luke struggled sitting up. He placed both feet on the floor. His shoes were off, he did not remember doing that. Reaching for the pills, Luke heard a faint noise. He decided he would investigate after he took the aspirin and finished the glass of water. 

Once the glass was empty, Luke stood and walked out into his living room. It was dark, but the dim glow of the television shed light on his tan sofa. He noticed a figure laying on, what Luke considered, the most uncomfortable piece of furniture. 

Walking toward the figure, Luke  tried to remember the day’s events. Everything was still a little foggy. He knew he won his case earlier, and that afterward he had lunch with the partners. When he stopped in front of the sofa, some of the events from the day became somewhat clearer. Seeing Cassie triggered his memory. She was sleeping in his apartment. He vaguely remembered being upset she closed out his tab and walking through the lobby of his building. The elevator ride up to his floor was still a bit of a blur for him.

They were friends, he and Cassie. Luke knew that much, but he did not think she would stay. Then again he was not thinking much of anything when he fell onto his bed earlier in the day. Looking to the clock on top of the entertainment center, Luke assessed the time. It was close to  ten o’clock. He slept for over six hours. 

Luke sat down in the empty chair that faced the door to his bedroom. He watched the slow rise and fall of Cassie’s body as she breathed. Her hair curly hair fell in her face. She was curled up in the fetal position with her head on her arm. He looked over to the television. Now that he was closer, he was able to see the credits running on the screen. Whatever movie she was watching was not long over. 

Cassie moved when Luke shifted in his chair. She slowly opened her eyes. As she adjusted to the lack of light, Cassie found Luke was sitting in a chair staring at her. 

“How do you feel?” Cassie asked sitting up.

Luke shrugged. “My head hurts. It would be nice if the pounding would stop. The aspirin should kick in soon though. Thanks for that.” He said.

Cassie nodded, “Yeah. You’re welcome.”

They sat in silence for awhile, each lost in their own thoughts. Cassie was the first to speak.

“What happened Luke?” Cassie asked.

Luke stared at her. He did not want to answer the question. He was embarrassed and ashamed that Cassie had seen him earlier in the day when he was drunk after too many drinks. Six years sober and in one afternoon all of his hard work was gone out the window.

“Luke.” Cassie said.

“It was just one sip.” Luke said.

“I think you had more than just a sip Luke. I saw your bar tab. It was way more than just one sip.” Cassie said. She was concerned. While they had not been friends for long, the two spent a lot of time together, and Cassie had never seen him the way he was at that moment. 

“It was just one sip that sent me over the edge.” Luke started. “I had lunch with a couple of the Senior Partners and our clients. We were celebrating. Nia, she’s the pharmaceutical rep who was in court with me, order a forty-year-old scotch.”

Cassie was confused. She understood that he was an alcoholic but with six years of sobriety behind him, she did not believe that earlier in the afternoon was the first time Luke was in such a situation. “I don’t understand. You’ve celebrated wins before I’m sure. What made this one different?” She asked gently. Cassie wanted to help him.

“Things.” Luke said simply. He looked down at his hands in his lap. However, before Cassie could respond, Luke continued. “I work for a huge law firm, Cassie. We have a lot of clients. Some of them are more reasonable than the others. I won the case because I’m a good lawyer. But I would’ve preferred to settle. We should have settled. Those people deserved more than what they got.” Luke said.

“Luke…” 

“Sometimes I don’t know why I do it. I think to myself that the pro bono work we do helps to balance everything out. And sometimes, we have clients who aren’t morally bankrupt who are willing to settle when they know they’re at fault despite whether or not the little guy has the evidence to support their claim.” Luke explained. When he finished, he looked up at Cassie.

“Is that why you stayed at the restaurant’s bar all afternoon?” Cassie asked.

“I stayed because I’m an alcoholic. Just one sip is never enough.” Luke said. “But it is part of the reason.”

Cassie nodded. Noticing the empty glass sitting on the side table next to Luke, Cassie stood. She reached for her own glass and picked Luke’s up as well. Luke watched as she went into his kitchen and pulled the pitcher of water from the refrigerator. She poured water into each glass. When she came back, Cassie placed Luke’s glass back in its spot on the side table.

“You really should buy some coasters.” Cassie said sitting back down. She tucked one leg underneath her body.

“I rarely have anyone here who isn’t sitting at the table playing poker.” Luke said. “Can I ask you a question?” 

“You just did.” Cassie said. She smirked.

“Please, no smart ass answers right now. My brain can’t take it.” Luke said.

“Ask away.” 

“Why did you stay?” Luke asked.

“What do you mean?”

“Why did you stay here while I was sleeping.”

Cassie did not answer immediately. She contemplated his question turning it over in her head to compose the best answer. “You’re my friend.” Cassie stated. “And I was worried about you. I wanted to make sure you were okay, that you’d have someone to talk to if you needed or wanted to talk.” 

“Thank you.” Luke said.

“You’re welcome.”

“I owe you.”

“You’ll pay me back eventually.” Cassie said.

Luke smiled and nodded knowing what she said was true. “So what did you watch?” 

“I honestly don’t remember.” Cassie laughed. 

Luke stood up and walked over to his movie shelf. “Are you up for another one?” He asked. The aspirin was starting to kick in and the pounding in his head was beginning to subside. 

“Sure.” Cassie said. 

Luke chose one of the few comedies he had on his shelf. He needed a good laugh. He removed the disc Cassie watched from the Blue Ray player and inserted the new one. 

Cassie scooted over on the sofa to make space for Luke. The sofa had the best view of the television and if he wanted to, Luke could rest his feet on the coffee table. When he sat down, the cushion sunk a bit. Luke put his feet up and rested his arm on the top of the sofa.

“So what are we watching?” Cassie asked. She pulled her other leg onto the sofa.

“You’ll see.” 

The opening credits began and Cassie smiled at his selection.

“Good choice.” Cassie moved around making herself more comfortable and settling in for the movie. 

A loud sound from the television jolted Luke out of his slumber. He looked around at his surroundings and then down at his chest. Cassie’s head was resting there. She took long deep breaths. She was sleeping. Luke stared at her for a moment He then lifted his hand to move a stray strand of Cassie’s hair away from her face. In the months since their serendipitous run-in, Luke began to value Cassie’s friendship and her presence in his life. He enjoyed her company and the time they spent together.

Cassie moved and her eyes fluttered. “Is it over?” Cassie asked referring to the movie.

Luke nodded his head. “Yeah. You fell asleep.”

“Not before you.” Cassie said sitting up. She placed one foot on the ground and tucked the other under her body so she could sit face to face with Luke.

Luke smiled. “I was the first to fall asleep?” Luke asked in mock disbelief.

“Yes.” Cassie smiled. She then tilted her head slightly. “How are you doing?” She asked somberly.

Luke did not say anything. It was a loaded question. In that moment he was fine. He was better than he had been in a long time because Cassie was with him, his friend. But if he dug deeper, Luke knew there were things he needed to deal with. He needed to figure out where he was headed, both in his professional and personal life. 

“I’m okay.” Luke finally responded.

“Are you sure? Luke you…”

“Cassie I’m going to be fine. Today was not my best, but it sure as hell wasn’t my worst either.”

“That’s what you’re going with?” Cassie asked. “That today was ‘not your best’? After six years of sobriety you drown yourself in liquor during the middle of the day and you describe it as ‘not your best?’”

“Cassie…”

“Im worried about you.” Cassie said.

“There’s nothing to worry about.” Luke lied. He knew what a huge setback the day had been. But it was not something he was ready to admit out loud. 

“Luke.” Cassie said. 

Luke did not respond. 

They sat together on the sofa in silence, Cassie staring Luke down and Luke never withering from her glare. 

As they sat, the air conditioner popped on and a cool blast of air flowed through the apartment. The new air movement blew the strand of hair back into Cassie’s face. Before Cassie could put the defiant strand back into place, Luke reached out for a second time and took care of the piece of hair himself. Instead of his hand going back to its original position where it rested on his lap, Luke gently ran a finger down Cassie’s face. 

Cassie did not react to Luke’s actions. So he did it again tracing the side of her face with his index finger. Luke lifted his hand to trace Cassie’s face a third time, but he stopped himself. 

“Cassie.” Luke started. He was going to apologize, but he was not quite sure how. Luke stood up and grabbed their now empty water glasses. He left Cassie on the sofa as he went into the kitchen. 

Luke rinsed the glasses before putting them in his dishwasher. When he turned around, Cassie was standing in front of him. He opened his mouth to say something, but Cassie moved into his space before he could respond. Much like she did the first time they kissed, Cassie pull Luke’s head down to meet her own. She covered his lips with hers. 

Cassie took Luke by surprise, but still no time went by before he pulled Cassie into him and eagerly responded to her actions. Their kiss deepened as Luke’s tongue parted her lips and their two muscles began a duel. Cassie’s hands moved under Luke’s shirt. She needed to touch skin. It was not her head that was responding but her desire. 

Luke pulled back when his need for air outweighed his desire to continue kissing Cassie. “Cassie?” Her name came out as a question.

“Bedroom.” Cassie heaved.

 

Luke looked at her questioningly, but he could see she was determined. He decided not to question her further and followed her through his apartment to his bed. 

Chapter 18 by carolinaheart

Cassie’s eyes opened suddenly. She looked around as they adjusted to the lack of light. It was still dark outside. Cassie assumed that it was probably the early hours of the morning. She slowly began to realize where exactly she was. Cassie pulled the sheet up tight around her body before looking to her left. Luke was fast asleep. His breathing was even and his head was turned toward the window. She took a deep breath before gingerly sliding off of the bed taking the sheet with her and leaving Luke exposed. 

“Shit.” Cassie said out loud as she stepped on something sharp. She paused instantly, praying to god her outburst did not wake the sleeping figure on the bed. When Luke did not move, Cassie began the task of finding her clothes in the dark. Once she had put everything, really what she could find, back on, Cassie threw the sheet back on the bed over Luke. She tiptoed out of the bedroom and into the more open living area. She easily spotted her purse on the chair where she left it when she first arrived. Cassie picked it up and left. 

As she made her way down the street, Cassie pulled out her cell phone and dialed a number more familiar than her own.

“Hello?” Jade said sleepily.

“Jade.” Cassie said.

“Cassie it’s three in the morning. What the hell?” 

“I did something really, very stupid. I’m coming over.” Before Cassie could hear Jade’s response, Cassie ended the call. She hailed a taxi and directed it to Jade’s building.

The entire ride to Jade’s home, Cassie bounced her leg up and down uncontrollably. She was trying not to think of her own stupidity. Luke was her friend. He was a friend that she never intended to make. But once he wiggled his way into that position, Cassie decided that was where he should stay. It was where she needed him to stay. While she was better than she was when they first met on the plane, Cassie did not feel ready for anything more than friendship. Neither of them ever discussed being anything more. The evening’s activities were spontaneous and, in Cassie’s opinion, very reckless. But mistakes were hardly ever calculated. And that is what happened, a mistake. It was what Cassie was trying to convince herself, but yet, she could not help thinking about doing it again. 

The taxi stopped in front of Jade’s building and Cassie got out. There were people making their way into the complex from their late night adventures. Cassie walked into the lobby after an extremely handsy couple. She was stopped by a security guard.

“Excuse me miss , but you need a hardpass to go up.” The guard said.

Cassie looked at the man confused. “I don’t have one of those.”

“Then I’m afraid you’ll have to leave then.”

“My friend is expecting me.” Cassie said.

“I don’t know where you think you are missy, but we don’t just let people up.” The guard glared at Cassie and pointed to the door.

Cassie rolled her eyes. “I’m just going to make a phone call.” Cassie said holding her phone up for the man to see.

Still glaring, the security guard nodded his head.

“What?” Jade said when she answered her phone.

“You have a different night guard. He won’t let me up.” Cassie explained.

“Did you tell him your name?” Jade asked.

“No he didn’t ask for it.”

“Your name should be on the list, Cassie. He’ll let you up.” Jade said.

“Right. See you soon.”

“Whatever, I’m not getting out of bed to answer the door, so you better have your key.” Jade said hanging up the phone.

Cassie walked over to the security guard’s desk. “My name should be on the list.” Cassie said.

The guard looked at her with a blank stare. 

“The list you have letting you know of common visitors.” Cassie explained.

“Of course it is. Who are you here to see and what is your name?” He asked as he began to angrily type something into the computer.

“Jade Watkins and my name is Cassandra, or Cassie, Mitchell.”

The guard scoffed, “of course you are.” He used the mouse to scroll through the list. “There’s your name. You can use that elevator over there.” He said pointing to the one on the left.

“What’s wrong with the one on the right?” Cassie asked curious as to why she needed to use a specific elevator.

“Because that one is already at the bottom floor.” The guard snapped.

“Oh.” Cassie felt stupid. “Thanks.” She said as she made her way over to the elevator.

When she arrived at the top floor, Cassie stuck the key to Jade’s home into the lock. She threw her purse onto a random chair before walking through the massive apartment.

Cassie opened the door to Jade’s bedroom and removed her shoes. She walked over to the bed where her friend looked like she was still sleeping and climbed in. Cassie sat with her back on the headboard. She poked Jade in the side.

“What the hell are you doing here at three thirty in the morning?” Jade groaned turning to face her bed’s new occupant.

“I had sex with Luke.” Cassie said.

“Well, I’m awake now.” Jade said sitting up and joining Cassie with her back resting on the headboard. “Was it good?”

“Really, that’s your first question?” Cassie laughed.

“Sweetie, you haven’t had sex since you’ve been back. And you didn’t mention any flings from abroad, so I’m assuming you’ve been in a bit of dry spell for over a year now.” Jade said.

Cassie rolled her eyes. She hated how well Jade knew her and how much she chose to share with Jade on a regular basis. “The sex was good. It was great. But it shouldn’t have happened.”

Jade nodded; she was not agreeing with Cassie, she just did not know what else to do. “Okay. Maybe you should start with how it happened.”

“It just did. I’m pretty sure I initiated it. Actually, I know I initiated it.” Cassie said.

“Cassie how plainly do I  have to put, start at the beginning for you?” Jade asked.

“I found Luke in a restaurant at a bar. He was in pretty bad shape. I closed out his tab and escorted him home.”

“I take it you did not leave after that?” 

“I didn’t leave until about thirty minutes ago.” Cassie said. “I stayed once I got him home. He fell asleep immediately after walking through the door. I watched a few of his movies and eventually fell asleep on his most uncomfortable couch.” Cassie said. “When I woke up, he was also awake. Then we watched another movie and we both fell asleep again.  We woke up at the end of the movie and we talked he went into the kitchen, I followed and then I kissed him and then one thing led to another.” Cassie waved her hand in the air. “Get the picture yet?”

“Yeah. I’ve got it.” Jade said. 

“I woke up naked in his bed and ran.” Cassie said. She pulled her legs up to her chest, folded her arms over her knees and rested her head on them. “I’m not sure what I was thinking, or even if I was thinking.”

“I’m going to go with you weren’t thinking.” Jade said.

They sat in silence for a few minutes.

“Do you want to be with him?” Jade asked. It seemed like the obvious question to ask.

“What?!” Cassie lifted her head.

“Do you want a romantic relationship with Luke.” 

“No…I…he’s my friend and I don’t want anything to happen to our friendship.” Cassie paused. “But dammit the sex was mind blowing.”

Jade laughed. “I think you just haven’t gotten any in a while. I’m guessing you want to sleep with him again.”

“Yeah I do, but I don’t want to complicate things.” Cassie said. “How could I be so stupid?”

“Because we’re human.” Jade sighed. She looked away.

“What’s that about?” Cassie asked shifting the subject to Jade’s love life. “Something wrong in your fabricated paradise?” 

“Tonight we’re talking about you okay.” Jade said.

“Fine, I won’t push. But I kind of don’t want to talk about it anymore tonight. It’s almost four in the morning. Mind if I crash here?” Cassie said.

“When have I ever said no?” Jade asked. She stood up and disappeared into a closet. When she came back, she was holding a heavy mink blanket. She threw it at Cassie. “Here you go. I hate how you hog the covers.” Jade said climbing back into bed.


 

The sun shined into Luke’s bedroom. Its rays landed on his exposed back warming his body. He stirred. With his eyes still closed, Luke turned his head away from the window. He took a deep breath and caught the familiar scent of Cassie’s perfume on one of his extra pillows. His eyes shot open as he remembered what transpired the night before. He expected to see Cassie’s sleeping form, but instead there was an empty space.

Luke rubbed his eyes and sat up on the bed. He looked around for any sign of the woman who had become one of his closest friends. What he found was his room in disarray. The sheets were all twisted and the comforter was on the floor. There was a trail of his clothes that looked as if it extended beyond the door to his room. The artwork on the wall was askew. Luke distinctly remembered the way Cassie jerked away from the painting when it rammed into her back as he had her pressed against the wall.

It had been a long time since he spent a night like that or had a day like he did. Luke stood from the bed. He went to his dresser and pulled out a pair of sweatpants to wear. Afterwards, he ventured out of his room hoping Cassie was in the kitchen or living room. He was disappointed when he found no sign of her anywhere.

Luke sat down on the sofa in the same spot he was in the previous night. He leaned his head back and placed a hand over his eyes. I should not have done that; he thought to himself. I should not have let that happen. It never should have gone that far. Luke never believed he would sleep with Cassie. He definitely thought about it; Cassie was a very attractive woman. But she was his friend. And Luke tried his best never to sleep with his friends. Those situations usually ended very badly.

After sitting and contemplating the events of the night before, Luke determined he needed to talk to Cassie. He dialed her number, but it went straight to voicemail. Of course she is ignoring me. When he could not reach her, Luke went into a bit of a panic mode. He got dressed and went out.

As Luke walked the streets, unsure of where he was going, the same thought ran through his head,  a drink would be really good right about now. But instead of finding a bar, Luke realized he needed to find a meeting. So he took out his cell phone and looked up where a meeting would be held within the next couple of hours. After finding one relatively close by, Luke walked the short distance to its location. When he stopped in front of the church, Luke took a deep breath. He pulled open the heavy doors and stepped inside. He easily found his way to the Alcoholics Anonymous meeting in the basement. It was something he needed to attend before he could decide what to do next.

Just over an hour after Luke entered the church, he exited the building. He nodded politely to fellow meeting attendees as each person went their separate direction. Luke walked down the sidewalk taking in the movements of New Yorkers running their weekend errands. He looked at his watch; it was a little past noon. Needing someone to talk to, Luke walked to the nearest subway stop and took the train to Alex and Dani’s part of the city. 

Luke arrived at his destination and walked into the building. He smiled at the security guard who waved as he walked inside. On the ride up to his friends’ apartment, a sudden thought came to Luke’s head. He hoped he was not interrupting their Saturday plans. The elevator stopped and Luke walked onto Alex and Dani’s floor. He stopped at their apartment and knocked on the door. The door opened. It was Alex on the other side.

“Hey, we weren’t expecting you were we?” Alex asked as he stepped aside to let the other man into the apartment.

“No, no. You didn’t forget anything. I just needed to talk to someone. Is Dani around?” Luke said scanning the apartment for signs of Alex’s wife.

“Nah, she took AJ to a Mommy and Me yoga class.” Alex said sitting down on the couch. “She should be back in about thirty minutes or so. Did you want to talk to her too?”

Running his hand through his hair, Luke sat in a chair opposite Alex. “I don’t know.” Luke said with uncertainty. However after thinking about the question more, Luke shook his head. “No, I don’t want to tell her what happened. She’ll be so disappointed.” Luke remembered how proud his friend was every time he reached a milestone in his sobriety. By drinking the previous day, Luke had let down more people than just himself.

“Yesterday was rough.” Luke started.

Alex nodded his head. He had an idea of where this was going. When he opened the door to let Luke in, he could tell something was wrong. Luke was a bit disheveled and his clothes, which the lawyer prided himself on, were wrinkled. Also, Alex knew there was very little Luke could do to disappoint Dani. There was a time when Alex was jealous of the relationship his wife shared with Luke. But he quickly came to realize that Dani thought of Luke as a brother, and she treated him that way. When Luke was struggling in the early days of his sobriety, Dani was his biggest and strongest supporter. She did not give up on Luke. The way she treated one of her best friends—when everyone else was giving up on Luke, Dani didn’t—was one of the many things Alex loved about Dani. 

Finding himself back in the reality of the moment, Alex sat back on the couch. “What happened?”

“I lost all will to resist. My boss insisted I taste this forty-year-old Scotch. After that, I ended spending most of the afternoon at the restaurant’s bar. I was not in good shape.” Luke said.

“Luke.” Alex said.

“I know.”

Alex looked at Luke skeptically, “You’re not…you haven’t had anything to drink this morning have you?”

“No. I…Cassie found me at the restaurant late in the afternoon. She took me home and stayed while I slept most of the day away.” Luke explained. “I actually just came from a meeting.”

Alex sighed. He was relieved that his friend was able to take the first steps toward getting back on track. He was also grateful to Cassie for finding Luke and getting him home safely. “That’s good.” Alex said. He watched Luke’s reaction. “But something else happened didn’t it?” 

“Cassie stayed. She was there when I woke up that evening. We both fell asleep watching a movie. And then we slept together.”

Alex’s eyes grew in size at Luke’s admission. He was not expecting that development. Having met Cassie, and from Luke’s own words, the woman did not seem like the type to have random sex with a friend. She definitely did not give off any vibes that she wanted to be in a relationship any time in the near future. So their actions surprised Alex.

“She was gone when I woke up this morning. I haven’t talked to her since.” Luke said. “I’m more confused now than I’ve been in a very long time.”

Alex did not have any helpful words for his friend. As he tried to think of something to say, the lock on the door clicked. 

Dani walked in carrying a sleeping AJ on her hip. She immediately noticed Luke sitting in the living room with her husband. 

“What are you doing here?” Dani asked. Knowing her son could sleep like a rock, she did not bother to lower her voice. She walked through the apartment toward the men.

“Just needed someone to talk to. I’m going to head out now. I’ll see you both later.” Luke said standing. “Thanks Alex.” 

Before either Alex or Dani could say otherwise, Luke was out of the door. 

Chapter 19 by carolinaheart

Alone in her apartment, Cassie sat thinking about what happened between her and Luke. A week passed and Cassie had not talked to him at any point. Luke called a few times. And every time he called, Cassie did not answer. She was unsure of what she would say to him when they talked.

 

Cassie did not think she was ready for anything serious; her life was all over the place. Her mother would say she needed to make a plan, but Cassie was confused. She did not know what she wanted anymore and part of that was because she did not know who she was anymore. She did not recognize the person she saw in the mirror every morning.

 

When she looked back over her relationship with Christian, Cassie could not understand how she let herself get put into that position. Their relationship, especially the way it ended, changed Cassie. And she did not believe she was better for it. Where she was hopeful and optimistic, now she was jaded and distant. She refused to ever be put in a similar situation again.

 

But then there was Luke. Cassie found the man attractive; she was not going to lie to herself about that. In addition to being a handsome man, he was smart, funny, kind and understanding. Luke had a tendency to push her buttons when they needed to be pushed, but he also knew when to stop. He weaseled his way into her life relatively quickly. Cassie also cared deeply about Luke. He was her friend and that was something she did not want to lose. But the sex, Cassie thought, was the best she had in a long time. She was a woman with needs. If she could keep the sex separate from the friendship, Cassie believed it could be a win-win situation for her. Cassie wanted sex with Luke with no romantic attachment. I wonder if he'll agree to that, Cassie thought to herself.

 

Cassie shook her head to get herself out of her thoughts. She needed to get ready. At some point during her stay with Jade the week before, Cassie agreed to show her face at a party Sean was hosting for some reason or another.

 

Later in the evening, Cassie arrived at Sean's New Jersey mansion. There were a number of celebrities in attendance, most of them recording artists. Cassie recognized many of the faces, a few she had even worked with in the past. She avoided them all. Somehow, she managed to work her way through the throngs of people and spot Jade who was sitting outside by the pool talking to a few people Cassie did not recognize. She started to push her way past several people when the voice of her favorite producer called her name.

 

"Cassie!" A man said.

 

Cassie spun around and greeted the man with a huge grin. "Richie, how have you been?" Cassie asked. She was genuinely happy to see the bear of a man.

 

Richie was six foot four inches tall and 300 pounds. Most people were intimidated by his size, but he was a man Cassie knew well. When she was working as a songwriter, she preferred to have him in the studio on the soundboard when it was time for the artist to record the song. She trusted Richie's talent and expertise.

 

"I could ask you the same thing." Richie said. He leaned down and engulfed Cassie's five foot four inch frame in a tight hug. "It's good to see you."

 

Cassie scrunched her nose. "You know I used to say it was good to be seen but right now I'm not so sure."

 

"Why do you say that?"

 

"I've been avoiding this whole scene since I got back." Cassie said using her hand to gesture to the people around her. "Now it seems like I'm in the thick of it."

 

"Why are you here then?" Richie asked.

 

"I somehow let Jade talk me into showing up. She made me promise, and you know how I feel about breaking promises." Cassie said.

 

"I know. You hate it." Richie said. "How about we go sit down somewhere and talk."

 

"You've spotted a place to do that without all of these people?" Cassie asked.

 

"Yeah. There aren't too many people in that corner outside." Richie leaned over to point to a small section of the back yard just beyond where Jade was sitting.

 

"Lead the way." Cassie followed Richie outside. Unlike her, he did not have to finesse his way around people. They just parted like the Red Sea and allowed him passage.

 

Jade looked up and smiled at her two friends as they passed. Cassie gave her a small wave and Richie nodded his head. The two sat down on a couple of large wrought-iron chairs.

 

"These aren't that comfortable." Cassie complained.

 

"Would you rather talk inside surrounded by all of those nosey-ass people?"

 

"No, you're right. I'll deal with the chairs." Cassie laughed.

 

"So you're back stateside." Richie began.

 

Cassie nodded her head up and down. "I am. I have been for about five months now."

 

"You're telling me you've been back in town since March and did not call me?" Richie asked. He considered Cassie a friend and thought she felt the same about him.

 

"I'm sorry Rich. As I said earlier I've been trying to avoid all of this."

 

"And you thought I would drag you kicking and screaming back into it?" Richie asked his voice laced with sarcasm.

 

"No, I just…I haven't felt like me in a long time." Cassie said. She looked down into her hands hoping she could find a better answer there.

 

Richie sighed. He reached out and placed one of his own large hands over hers. "I know his death hit you hard. And it's difficult to get back to yourself again after you lose someone you love. But you can't let that loss define who you are for the rest of your life." Richie said.

 

Cassie looked up at Richie. A small smile formed on her face. "I've missed you and I didn't realize how much until just now." Cassie said.

 

Richie squeezed her hands. "That's good to know. But I meant what I said."

 

"I know you did."

 

"Good." Riche said. He removed his hands from Cassie's lap. "So tell me how are you doing? What are you doing?"

 

"I'm okay. I'm working with Jade and Sean on getting the charity started. We are planning a kind of Halloween masquerade gala. I'm actually very excited about it. Since I'm the one not really working, I've kind of taken on the task of making sure everything is set up and ready to roll for the event in October." Cassie explained.

 

"I see. So no songwriting I presume."

 

"Nope, not a single line. I haven't really been able to since Christian died. But you know that."

 

"I thought, I hoped really, that your muse would find you during your travels abroad." Richie said. "I miss working with my girl in the studio. You know there have been a ton of artists asking me if I knew when you were going to be back."

 

Cassie laughed. "I don't think I'll ever be back. My muse did find me though, or maybe it was a new one I'm not really sure. I've been dabbling in photography. It helps me see the world differently." Cassie said.

 

"Of course it does." Richie said. He was going to ask her another question, but he noticed Cassie staring in Jade's direction.

 

Cassie watched Sean come outside. He had a huge grin on his face and eyes only for Jade who was busy talking with a young up and coming female vocalist Cassie recognized from the entertainment magazines she saw in stores. Sean walked up to Jade and snaked his arm around her waste. She gave him a broad smile, but even from a distance Cassie could tell the smile was half-hearted. Knowing Jade so well, Cassie could tell from her body language that Jade was not completely comfortable in Sean's arms. She was not quite herself.

 

"They make a nice power couple." Richie commented.

 

"Yeah, of course." Cassie said.

 

"You don't sound too happy." Richie said.

 

Cassie did not say anything. Very few people knew the Jade underneath the glam of her celebrity life. And Cassie was not going to be the one to reveal anything Jade was not ready for others to know. It just frustrated Cassie to no end that Jade always stood in the way of her own happiness.

 

"He's a nice guy. If she's happy, I'm happy." Cassie stated.

 

Richie nodded his head. While he had known both women for several years, he was not as close to the pair as they were to each other. However, he could tell there was more to Cassie's statement than she wanted him to believe.

 

"You don't think she's happy?" Richie asked, although it sounded more like a statement.

 

"That's not for me to say." Cassie replied.

 

"What about you? Are you happy?"

 

"How did we get back to me?" Cassie laughed.

 

"I'm just that good." Richie said.

 

Cassie dropped her head and continued to laugh. "Yes, Richie, you are definitely 'that good.'" She paused and looked up. Cassie glanced over to Jade and Sean just in time to see Sean plant a kiss on Jade's cheek. Jade laughed and patted him on the chest. To anyone else Jade looked beyond happy. "I don't think I know what makes me happy anymore." Cassie said looking at Richie. "I think I'm just living one day to the next for now just trying not to regress. You may not believe it, but I am a lot better now than I was a year ago at this time."

 

"I can understand that. But don't let your future pass you by living that way Cassie. Try to find something that makes you happy and hold onto it." Richie said.

 

"Sounds like there's life experience behind this advice." Cassie prodded.

 

"There is, but it's a story for another night."

 

"Why?" Cassie asked confused.

 

"Because your best friend and her beau are walking toward us now." Richie said.

 

Cassie looked up and saw the couple coming their way. She put on a fake smile as they stopped in front of her and Richie.

 

"You made it." Jade said.

 

"I said I would be here." Cassie said.

 

"I know." Jade said.

 

Before an uncomfortable silence could befall the group, Richie spoke up. "Sean, Jade you two look very nice together." Cassie watched as Sean's smile grew and he pulled Jade closer to him with the arm he had around her waist.

 

"Thanks Richie. I don't know if your assistant gave my messages to you, but I was hoping the two of us could hook up in the studio. Jade tells me that you're one of the best to work with." Sean said.

 

"Yes, of course. I'm actually surprised we haven't had the chance to do so yet." Richie said.

 

Seeing her chance Cassie stood and relinquished her seat. "How about Jade and I leave you two to talk shop while we go mingle?" Cassie suggested.

 

Jade raised an eyebrow. Richie recognized Cassie's tactic for what it was. Sean was the only one who seemed utterly out of the loop. "Oh I don't know. We really didn't mean to interrupt the two of you. We just wanted to say hi. Right babe?"

 

"Oh it's no trouble at all. Take my seat Sean. I insist." Cassie said. She reached for Jade's arm hoping it would encourage Sean to loosen his grip.

 

"Are you sure?" Sean asked.

 

Cassie tried hard not to roll her eyes at how dense the man was. "I'm positive."

 

Sean released his hold on Jade and sat down in the now empty chair.

 

"You guys have fun." Cassie said as she dragged Jade away from the two men.

 

"What is this about? You do not want to mingle." Jade said.

 

"You're right. I don't. But I wanted to talk to you." Cassie said.

 

"About what?"

 

Cassie was about to tell Jade about her new plan of action when it came to Luke, but she thought better of it. She did not think Jade would approve. And Cassie did not want to hear Jade's opinion. "You know what, never mind."

 

"So you just wanted to pull me away from Sean?" Jade asked.

 

"That was just a bonus. I was going to run something by you but I changed my mind. That's all."

 

Jade folded her arms and squinted at Cassie. "This had something to do with Luke didn't it?"

 

"It doesn't matter." Cassie said.

 

"Have you talked to him yet?"

 

"No, but I will soon." Cassie said. She decided that soon would be shortly after she left the party. She just hoped he was still awake.

 

"Right. You need to get this figured out. You can't just go around sleeping with your friends." Jade said.

 

"I know that and I will."

 

"Cassie." Jade started.

 

"Jade, there you are! How are you?" A woman came up from behind Cassie and Jade.

 

"Laura I'm fine. You've met Cassandra Mitchell right?" Jade said.

 

"I have not! But I have heard so much about you." The blonde woman said. "I heard you went incognito, but here you are. I would love to have you write something for my new album!" Her hazel eyes widened at the prospect of working with Cassie.

 

"I'm not really doing a lot of work right now." Cassie said politely.

 

"Oh, I see. Jade here is keeping you all to herself isn't she." Laura joked.

 

"No, not at all. I'm just not writing right now." Cassie said.

 

"Oh. That's no good. A talent like yours should never be stifled." Laura said.

 

Cassie produced a diplomatic smile. "Thank you. You are too generous with your compliments."

 

"Any chance that means I'll see something from you soon." Laura prodded.

 

"No, I'm really sorry." Cassie was not. She was never a fan of the woman currently trying to cozy up to her.

 

"That's just too bad." Laura turned to Jade. "I'll give you a call later this week about your organization. I read your email and it sounds like something really great. I'll see you both around." Laura waved and walked away.

 

"Where was I before we were interrupted?" Jade asked.

 

"I can't recall. I'm going to grab something else to eat." Cassie smiled and walked away. She pulled her phone out of the clutch she brought with her. It was almost midnight. Having spent a little more than and hour at the party, Cassie decided it was a good time to leave. She was determined to talk to Luke.

Chapter 20 by carolinaheart

Luke was cleaning up from his latest evening of poker with the guys. It was late. He picked up stray poker chips that fell to the floor during their rambunctious games of poker and put them back into the case sitting on the table. Their poker nights were a way for Luke and his friends to unwind. Most of the time they discussed sports and entertainment. But occasionally someone would bring up a more serious topic. The focus of this particular game night was on Kyle, a friend of Luke's, and how he was ready to settle down. When Kyle first brought up marriage, his friends laughed in disbelief. He was the one person in their group they thought would remain single for the rest of his life. But apparently the woman Kyle was dating changed his mind.

When Luke realized Kyle was serious, he withdrew into himself. Luke thought his life would be different then it was. He thought he would be married and maybe have children. That was who Luke was, an aspiring family man. But after losing his fiancé and finally getting sober, he managed to bury himself in work. And now, there was Cassie.

Luke was not quite sure what to make of what happened the week before. When he called, Cassie did not pick up her phone. It was obvious she was avoiding him. He could understand why. Even if Cassie answered her phone or returned his calls, Luke was unsure what he would say. He and Cassie were good friends, and Luke liked having her around to talk to.

The apartment was almost back to an acceptable state. Luke picked up the last empty beer bottles and put them in the recycling bin. He was going through his apartment turning out all of the lights when there was a knock on his door. Luke looked down at his watch. His friends left an hour earlier; it was unlikely one of them was coming back to pick up something they left. He looked through the peep hole. Cassie was standing on the other side. Luke unlocked and opened his door.

"Hi." Cassie said.

"It's late." Luke said.

"I'm sorry. You weren't sleep were you?" Cassie asked. "I didn't wake you up?"

"No, I was just cleaning." Luke said.

Cassie nodded her head. She found it strange that he was cleaning so late, but she did not voice her thoughts. "Can I come in?"

Luke stepped to the side and allowed Cassie to pass. She walked a few feet into the apartment before turning around. With her hands in her pocket, Cassie began to slightly rock on her feet. Luke closed the door and faced her.

"I think we need to talk." Cassie stated.

"I tried calling you."

"I know. I'm sorry. I just didn't know what to say, or what I thought." Cassie stopped rocking.

Luke sighed. He understood how she was feeling. "Maybe we should sit down."

"Yeah, that's a good idea." Cassie sat in the chair and Luke settled down on the sofa.

It was not until he sat down that Luke noticed Cassie's clothes. From what he could see, he assumed underneath the black leather jacket Cassie was wearing a black dress. The bottom of it stopped mid-thigh when she sat in the chair. Instead of her usual bun of curls, her hair was straight and fell just past her shoulders.

"Where were you?" Luke asked. He was curious. In the time they spent together, Luke learned a lot about Cassie and how she dressed—first comfort, style second. He also knew she was not one to go out.

"I was at a party. Jade insisted I go." Cassie said.

"Oh." Luke said.

"Why are you still up?" Cassie asked.

"Poker night. I was cleaning up from the night's events."

"Right. I forgot about that."

"Did you win?" Cassie asked

"Why are you here Cassie? You said we need to talk, but I feel like we are avoiding the conversation." Luke said. He was tired and wanted to go to bed. But he knew he and Cassie needed to figure things out.

"I was thinking about the other night, and it was good right?" Cassie asked. She did not give Luke time to respond before she started to speak again. "I mean I thought it was good. It was fun and much needed." The words seemed to just fall out of Cassie's mouth. "And I was thinking yes we're friends, but we're also adults. We're both adults with needs. I know I haven't had sex in a very long time, and no offense, but I know you're not getting any on a regular basis either. So maybe we could just…I'm not sure how to put this but…service each other." Cassie finished. She could not look Luke in the eye, so she hung her head and allowed her hair to shroud her face. She played with a ring on her finger while Luke contemplated what she said.

Luke was dumbfounded. He did not know what to say to Cassie's proposal. He stared at Cassie. When he did not say anything, Cassie looked up and used both hands to tuck her hair behind her ears. "Luke, can you say something."

"I don't know what to say." Luke said.

"Luke I don't want this to be awkward."

"How can this not be awkward?" Luke scoffed. "You're my friend, and we had sex. You ignore me for a week. Then you show up at my door, unannounced, and now you want to continue having sex?" Luke said. "Do I have that right? Did I miss anything?"

"No, you didn't miss anything. Luke I just…I'm a woman with needs and last week was… I'm not asking that we start dating; I don't want a romantic relationship; I don't want to be exclusive. I just want sex, no attachments." Cassie said. She was hoping he would just say yes and they could stop talking about it.

"How would this even work?" Luke asked.

"Plenty of people do it, friends with benefits, fuck buddies."

"And it usually doesn't end well."

"We're two mature adults. I think we can make this work." Cassie said.

Luke was silent. If he was honest with himself, he would just say no. If he was honest, he would realize that he wanted more with Cassie than just a casual relationship. But it was rare any man was ever honest with himself. Against his own better judgment, Luke nodded his head in affirmation. "Okay. We'll see how this goes." Luke said.

Cassie smiled. She was not ready for a relationship, or so she told herself on a daily basis, but she wanted sex. Having sex with her friend was a much better proposition, Cassie believed, than turning to an escort service. It was a legal option already proven to produce satisfactory results, good sex.

"So how will this work?" Luke interrupted Cassie's thoughts.

"I'm not sure exactly, but we'll work it out. We are competent adults."

"Of course we are." Luke said under his breath. He watched Cassie stand from where she was sitting hoping she was not expecting to start this new facet of their friendship tonight.

"I should go." Cassie said.

Luke looked visibly relieved. He stood up and walked with Cassie to the door. He opened it for her. Cassie stepped over the threshold.

"Good night Luke. I'll see you later." Cassie said.

"Right. Have a good evening Cassie, and let me know when you get home." Luke said.

"Alright." Cassie turned and walked down the hallway to the elevator. She turned back. Luke was still standing in his doorway; he waved. Cassie smiled and stepped into the elevator.

Luke went back inside his apartment and closed his door. He turned the two deadbolts securing his home for the evening. It was not until he climbed into bed that he really understood to what it was he had agreed.

 


The following morning Cassie awoke to her phone vibrating on her night stand. She groaned when she felt the sun creep into her eyes. Whoever was on the other side calling her, Cassie wanted to kill or maim—either was a better option than waking up early on a Sunday morning—them. Cassie cracked one eye and quickly closed it shut. She pulled the comforter over her head trying to block out the sunlight and hoping it would drown out the sound of the phone vibrating against the wood of the nightstand. When it finally stopped, Cassie let out a sigh of relief. She removed the comforter from its position over her head and tried to go back to sleep. However, someone else had a different plan.

The phone began to vibrate again. Annoyed, Cassie picked up the phone and answered it.

"Hello!"

"Hey, Cassie. What's up with you?"

"Jade why are you calling me so early?" Cassie asked rubbing her eyes.

"I just got back from my run with Sean. I wanted to know why you left the party early." Jade said.

Cassie groaned. "I showed up. You didn't say how long I had to stay."

"I know I didn't specify how long you were to stay, but more than an hour would have been nice." Jade said.

"I did stay longer than that. I was there for an hour and fifteen minutes before I left."

"Did you go straight home?" Jade asked.

Cassie did not immediately respond to the question.

"Are you still there Cassie?" Jade asked.

"Yes."

"Yes you went home?"

"No. Yes I'm still here." Cassie said.

"So you stopped somewhere before you went home then." Jade said.

"I went to Luke's."

"What did you say?"

Once again, Cassie remained silent. She did not want to inform Jade of the new situation with Luke. But she knew sooner—as in within the next few minutes—rather than later Jade would find out.

"Cassie you need to stop going all nonverbal on me." Jade demanded. "What did you say?"

"I proposed that we change the terms of our friendship." Cassie said.

"In what way exactly?" Jade asked.

"I suggested we should be fuck buddies." Cassie said.

"Cassandra Grace Mitchell you did what?!" In over ten years of knowing Cassie, Jade never would have thought her best friend would agree to such an arrangement, let alone be the one to suggest it. Cassie was not the casual sex type. She was a romantic. At least she used to be. Jade wondered how she jumped from not wanting to complicate her relationship with Luke to thinking that a friends with benefits set up was a viable option.

"Do not use my full name." Cassie said. "This is not a full name kind of thing. It was a logical decision. I liked having sex with Luke; I want to do it again; and I don't want the whole romantic attachment thing."

Jade sighed. "This doesn't sound like you Cassie."

Cassie shrugged her shoulders. "It's logical."

Jade did not know how to respond to her friend's choices. Instead of continuing to go back and forth about it, Jade decided it was best to end the conversation. "If it's what you want Cassie. I just don't want to see you get hurt. You know these things never go as planned."

"I'll be fine Jade. I'm a big girl. You don't need to worry." Cassie said. "Now I'm hanging up because I'm going back to sleep."

"Okay. I'll talk to you later."

"Bye." Cassie ended the call and put her phone back on her nightstand.

I know what I'm doing. Right?

 


Luke stood in front of Alex and Dani's door. As much time as he spent at his friends' apartment, sometimes it felt like he lived there. His late night visitor threw him for a loop. After she consistently ignored his calls for a week, Luke was not expecting to hear from Cassie—let alone have her show up in front of his door after midnight.

Now that Luke had some time to think he was even more unsure about the new arrangement Cassie devised. He knew what Dani would say if he told her, which was why he was hoping to avoid the subject of Cassie completely while he was at their home.

Luke knocked on the door and waited for one of his friends to let him inside. The door opened and Dani stood in the doorway holding a fidgety AJ. When the toddler saw Luke, he immediately reached out to be held.

"Good morning, come on in." Dani said.

Luke stepped through the doorway and took AJ from Dani's arms. "Hey." He directed at Dani. "And hey to you too." Luke said bouncing the smiling boy in his arms.

"I heard you did very well last night." Dani said. She was walking down the hallway to the living room.

"What do you mean?" Luke asked. He followed Dani.

"Alex said you cleaned everyone out during the poker game." Dani picked up a brightly colored plane off the sofa and placed it on the side table before sitting down.

Luke sat down too and released AJ on the ground. AJ waddled around the coffee table heading for the toy plane, which now sat on the side table. AJ picked up the plastic toy and began to bang it on the carpeted floor.

"Yeah it was a pretty good night for me. I usually use the winnings to by food for the next poker night so everyone wins. Where's your husband?" Luke asked.

"He is getting dressed. He'll be ready to go in a few."

Occasionally, Alex, Dani, and Luke went out to brunch on Sundays. It was one of those Sundays.

"I don't understand why we didn't just meet at the restaurant." Luke said.

"Just deal with it Luke. The place is right down the block so it's not a long walk." Dani said.

"I know that. It just seems a little more efficient to meet there."

AJ made his way over to Luke plane in hand. He stopped in front of Luke's chair and unsuccessfully tried to climb on Luke's lap. The plane hindered his ability. Luke reached down and placed AJ on his knee and began to lightly bounce it up and down. AJ giggled at the movement.

"Well, if we met at the restaurant you wouldn't be able to bond with your godson like you are doing now." Dani pointed out.

Alex walked into the room and picked his keys up from the sofa table. "Hey Luke. You guys ready?" Alex asked.

"We were waiting for you babe." Dani said as she stood.

Luke stood and placed AJ on his hip. The three friends left the apartment and began the short trek to the eatery. Shortly after they arrived, Dani went to the restroom. Alex took the opportunity to talk to Luke privately.

"Have you heard from Cassie?" Alex asked. The night before he did not have a chance to discuss things with Luke. He was curious to see where things between Luke and Cassie would lead.

"Yeah, she came over late last night. We talked."

"And?" Alex asked.

"And she wants a casual relationship. Sex with no attachments."

"Oh."

"Exactly." Luke said.

"Did you agree?"

"Friends with benefits, it's every man's dream right?" Luke said sarcastically.

"What about friends with benefits?" Dani asked sitting down.

Neither Luke nor Alex noticed her return.

"Nothing." Alex said. Even though he knew Luke thought he would, Alex did not tell Dani about what transpired between Cassie and Luke the previous week.

"If it's nothing, then why bring it up?" Dani asked. She was suspicious, not of her husband—she knew he was a well satisfied man—but of Luke. When she met with Cassie to discuss planning for the fundraiser, the other woman seemed a bit off. There was something she was trying to hide.

"She'll get it out of you eventually Alex." Luke said.

"I'm hurt you don't trust me."

Luke rolled his eyes at Alex's mock disappointment. "Cassie and I are thinking of engaging in an arrangement." Luke said.

Dani laughed. "Please tell me this is a joke."

Neither of the men at the table said anything. Dani stopped laughing.

"It's not a joke? Okay. How did that conversation come up?" Dani asked.

"She stopped by last night after the guys left. It was her solution to what happened last week." Luke said.

"What happened last week?" Dani asked looking from her husband to her best friend. She felt like she was out of the loop.

"Alex didn't tell you?"

"He didn't tell me what?" Dani asked.

"I can keep some things a secret." Alex said.

"I slept with Cassie." Luke said.

"What the hell possessed you to do that?"

"It just happened Dani."

"And you thought it would be a good idea to continue sleeping with your friend—for whom you obviously have feelings! Unbelievable." Dani said.

"I do not have feelings for Cassie. She's just a friend."

"That's bull and you know it." Dani said.

Alex sat quietly deciding it was best for him not to get involved. No one said anything. There was an eerie silence over the table only broken by AJ's occasional banging of his sippy cup on the table.

A waitress came by and took everyone's order and left before anything else was said.

"You know what Luke, you're a grown man and can make your own stupid decisions—because this is a stupid decision. But I guarantee something is going to go wrong, and one of you—I'm about ninety percent sure it's going to be you—is going to get hurt. These things never seem to go quite like they should." Dani said. "That's all I will say about the matter."

Luke felt like a teenager who had just disappointed his mom. He knew Dani meant well, and he knew she was probably right. But people rarely listen to their better judgment.

Chapter 21 by carolinaheart

Three weeks passed and things, in Cassie's mind, seemed to be going well. She was not sure how she and Luke managed to make their friends with benefits relationship work. When the thought first came to mind, Cassie considered maybe she was crazy. But she also knew she did not want to be in a traditional relationship. It always seemed as if everyone just got hurt in the end. This way, Cassie felt there were fewer emotions involved.

Cassie stretched as she struggled to remove herself from the bed. It was a late morning in August and Cassie needed to start getting dressed if she was not going to be late for lunch with Luke. In the months since her return, Cassie worked out a rough routine that did not require her to be up too early. She was never a morning person.

When she finally managed to break free from the pull of her bed, Cassie walked over to the window and opened the curtains. She looked down at the street watching the movement of people going about their daily lives.

In her travels Cassie found there was no place quite like New York City. There were large metropolises all over the world, but none compared to the Big Apple. She reminisced about when she first moved from her hometown in North Carolina. It was a big change. Everything moved faster and the people did not seem as friendly in 'the big city,' which did not bother her too much. They had another quality she appreciated more—they were genuine. The fake smiles of the South were replaced with honest scowls and looks of boredom.

Cassie pulled herself away from the window and went into her closet to pull out her outfit for the day. As she decided what shirt to wear, her home phone began to ring. She stopped in her tracks. Cassie had determined that phone only brought bad news and things she did not want to face. She was trying her best to move on.

For a minute, Cassie contemplated not answering. She also considered calling the phone company and having her landline turned off. It only ever rang with misery. The phone continued to ring. Cassie walked out of her closet and picked up the handset that was on her bedside table.

"Good morning." Cassie said.

"Ms. Mitchell?"

"Yes?"

"This is Detective Parker. I'm sorry to bother you again." Detective Parker said.

"Hi detective. You don't have to apologize." Cassie said.

"How are you doing today? I know it can't be easy for you."

Cassie's brain seemed to freeze. It was the anniversary of Christian's death. She had already lived two years without him in her life. Cassie found it hard to believe that she forgot what day it was. The previous year, on the first anniversary, Cassie was in Dubai. She spent the entire day in her hotel room reliving the last time she spoke to Christian. In a way, she felt responsible for his death. Maybe the things she said pushed him over the edge and he became reckless. She essentially told him she did not care any more. Cassie knew she was being stupid, but sometimes being stupid and staying stuck in her grief was easier than moving forward. She was finally in a place where thinking about Christian did not cause her to completely break down. She had her friends to thank for that. Cassie initially thought traveling the world would help her heal, but all it did was allow her to ignore the problem rather than face it and isolate her from where she needed to be—surrounded by people who cared. In the six months since her return, Cassie somehow managed to slowly work through her feelings regarding Christian's death

"Ms. Mitchell?" Detective Parker said when he did not get a response from Cassie.

"I'm doing okay. Thanks for asking."

"I'm glad to hear it. I wanted to give you an update."

"I thought the case was closed. The suspect who confessed died right." Cassie said.

"Yes, he did. But as I told you a couple of months ago we were trying to build a case against Milo." The detective explained.

"And were you successful?"

"No we weren't. We are handing over our files on Milo to another department They think some of what our guys were able to gather will help out in a fraud investigation they are conducting on Milo and his business."

Cassie nodded her head. "I see."

"I'm sorry we could not get justice for Christian's case. Sometimes these things aren't as clear-cut as we would like them to be."

"I get it." Cassie said. "This will be the last time you're calling me then, correct?"

"Yes, we don't need anything more from you and I don't think there is anything else we can do for you."

Cassie sighed. Relief flooded her body. It felt like a weight was lifted off of her shoulders. "That's really good to hear." Cassie said.

"I hope the rest of your day goes well. Goodbye Ms. Mitchell." Detective Parker said.

"Goodbye." Cassie ended the call and put the phone back in its cradle. She allowed herself to collapse onto the bed. This was a good thing. She only had a minute to rest. Cassie still needed to get dressed and meet Luke down at their deli.

 


Luke was early for a change. While he waited for Cassie to arrive he flipped through files on his iPad. The firm was increasing their efforts to go green, so they issued all of their top performers an iPad. The benefit was Luke did not have to lug around reams of paper when he wanted to do some work out of the office. All of the files could be loaded onto his device. But Luke missed the feel of paper in his hand and the visual of the stack getting smaller as he went through it.

Looking at his watch, Luke began to worry. Cassie was never late. She had an annoying habit of being early for most things. He looked around before deciding to give Cassie a call. The phone rang only once before Cassie answered.

"Hey, I'll be there in two seconds." Cassie said. She did not wait for Luke to say anything.

"If you were going to be here in two seconds, I would probably be able to see you coming." Luke said.

"Luke, don't get smart. It's not nice." Cassie laughed. "Besides, if you look out the window you can see me."

Luke did as he was instructed and looked out of the storefront window. Cassie was a ways down the block, but he could see her. She was waving as she walked.

"Touché. I'll see you in a little bit." Luke said. He ended the call.

Within a minute, Cassie walked through the door and up to the table where Luke was sitting. She put her purse down in one empty chair across from Luke and sat in the other.

"Have you ordered yet?" Cassie asked. She looked to the counter. A line was beginning to form.

"No, not yet. I was waiting for you." Luke said.

"I'm sorry. I got a phone call before I hopped in the shower." Cassie said.

"I see. Was it Jade?" Luke asked assuming it was Cassie's best friend who called her earlier.

"No, let's order food and I'll tell you about it." Cassie said standing.

Luke followed her lead and the two went up to the counter. After they ordered and received their number, they sat back down at their table.

"I'm surprised no one took our seats." Cassie said.

"I think it's an unspoken rule of respect here. If someone was sitting at a table before they ordered, and you saw them there, then you leave their seats for when they return." Luke explained.

"You've thought about this a lot haven't you?" Cassie laughed.

"A little bit."

Cassie pointed to the iPad now sitting on the table next to Luke. "You have a new toy."

"Oh, yeah. The firm handed these out earlier this week. They want to use less paper. I'm still getting used to it." Luke said.

"That's smart." Cassie said.

A woman walked over to their table and sat their food down. Cassie ordered a salad and Luke had an Italian meat sandwich.

"So you said you got a call this morning?" Luke said after taking a bite of his food.

"It was Detective Parker."

"Who's that?" Luke asked.

Cassie realized that she never told Luke what happened with Christian. After all of the time the two spent together, how Christian died never came up. In fact Cassie was not even sure she ever told Luke Christian's name. Cassie did not really know what to think about that. The entire year she spent abroad, it was hard for her not to think of Christian. And even when she first cam home, things did not feel right. She never thought she would ever get to the place where she was now.

"He was the detective on Christian's case." Cassie said.

"Christian was your boyfriend?" Luke asked.

Cassie nodded.

"Oh. You haven't mentioned him since the first time we ate here." Luke said. "Wait, you said the person who called you was a detective on his case? His death wasn't an accident?" Luke asked. The reasoning behind some of Cassie's actions was becoming clear.

"No. He was murdered the morning after I ended things with him. That was two years ago. I shouldn't have been surprised. In the business he was in, you can't really walk away." Cassie said.

Luke was not sure how to react to the new information. He knew a lot about Cassie. In the six months they had been friends, she had opened up to him little by little. He watched large chunks of the walls she built up fall. Luke felt like this new information was the piece he was missing to understanding the person Cassie was.

"What do you mean?" Luke asked.

"He was a hired gun and a bit of a henchman. People paid him, and he would kill or brutally intimidate someone for them."

A million thoughts ran through Luke's head. The first was for Cassie's safety both then and now. The second had to do with how much she knew about Christian's work. His brain went into to lawyer mode as he thought about the implications of Cassie's knowledge of her dead boyfriend's crimes.

"How did you know?" Luke asked. "And how long did you know?"

Cassie recognized where Luke's thought process was going. "I didn't know much explicitly. I never really asked. I made assumptions as our relationship went on."

Luke sighed; the relief was evident in his facial features. Luke could not bear the idea of Cassie one day being charged as an accessory to murder. "So what did the detective want?" Luke asked getting back to the origin of the current conversation.

"They had a suspect a few months back, but he was killed in their custody. They managed to flip him; he was going to talk about who hired him for Christian's murder and others. They were trying to build a case against someone named Milo, I'd met him before. After their suspect died, they couldn't really get anything else on him. Detective Parker said they were officially handing the case over to another department. They're hoping to get Milo on other charges." Cassie explained.

The name Milo caught Luke's attention; it seemed familiar. He ignored the thought and turned his focus back to Cassie. "Are you okay with everything?"

"I kind of have to be." Cassie said. "There's nothing that I can do. This is out of my hands. It's hard to believe that exactly two years ago someone who played such a big part of my life was murdered. Today was the anniversary of his death. But surprisingly, I think I'm okay. I'm not great, but I'm okay. I never thought I would get to this place again, where I'm comfortable in my own skin and every thought is not of him and replaying our last moments together."

Luke was happy for Cassie. It was a big step for anyone who had been in her position before. "So what are you going to do with your new-found freedom?"

"I don't know. On the one hand I feel liberated. On the other, I'm completely terrified." Cassie admitted.

"I can understand your reservations." Luke said. "But you'll eventually get over your fear. You've come this far."

"Yeah, I know."

Luke's phone rang and interrupted their conversation. Cassie watched Luke as he talked. He nodded his head several times before the call finished.

"Important fire that can only be put out by the Lucas Carrington?" Cassie asked.

"That was Carmen, she needs some help on a case. I've got to head back to the office. I'll see you later." Luke said getting up from the table.

"Right. You're coming over tomorrow night right?" Cassie asked.

"I don't know." Luke said. He honestly had several case files he needed to go through the next couple of days. But he did not want to bail on their scheduled evening plans. "I've got to go."

Luke walked out of the deli. Cassie watched him as he became another figure in the crowd shuffling off to whatever business that needed to be attended.

End Notes:

Honestly, at this point, I'm not sure which direction to go to get to where I know the story will end. I've had a few ideas in my head, but not one has become the clear choice. Currently I have about 10,000 words worth of chapters sitting on my computer waiting for a clear direction. But this is all you get until I can focus again.

Chapter 22 by carolinaheart
Author's Notes:

It's been a while, but here is chapter 22. It is a little short, but the next one should be up in the next day or two.

A few weeks into August, Cassie found herself in the lobby of a Manhattan hotel with Dani. The two women were there to meet with their account manager. After the many months of planning, the larger group decided this particular Manhattan hotel was the perfect place to hold the Halloween fundraising gala.

Dani sat quietly in a chair across from Cassie. She took in the grandiose surroundings of the hotel lobby. Since learning of the arrangement between Cassie and Luke, Dani made it a point not to directly engage Cassie in any way. It was a difficult task as they worked with each other on a regular basis.

Cassie recognized Dani's now familiar tactic and sighed.

"This has been going on long enough Dani." Cassie said frustrated. She hated that her relationship with Luke was causing a rift in a partnership, which up until that point, worked well.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Dani replied. She looked at her phone for the time. Their account manager was late.

"Dani, we work together. We cannot not have discussions because you're mad at me."

Dani turned to face Cassie. "He's going to get hurt, and it will be your fault."

Cassie sat back in her seat surprised. It was the first time that Dani explicitly said what Cassie knew was bothering her. "Dani, in all honesty it's none of your business. And for the record, he's a grown man who can make his own decisions. Luke and I are adults. We had a conversation, and we came up with an arrangement."

"And you're okay if he gets hurt in all of this?" Dani asked tilting her head.

"No one is going to get hurt Dani. He's fine. I'm fine. Everything is working out just fine."

"And when whatever is going on between you two ends, because let's be honest it will end; these types of ‘arrangements' never last. What happens then? What happens when Luke comes to his senses and realizes he wants more. Or what happens when you're finally ready for something more than just sex but not with Luke? What happens then Cassie?"

Cassie stared at Dani. The other woman had said a lot, and it was a lot for her to process. Instead of trying to make sense of all that was said, Cassie shook her head. "I'm just trying to live in the moment for now Dani. Is that such a crime?"

"No it's not, not for you. But when you involve someone else, someone who wants a future and not just a ‘fuck-buddy,' then it's a problem."

Cassie looked at Dani confused. "What do you mean?"

"Just forget it Cassie. I'm going to see what's taking so long." Dani stood up and went over to the front desk.

While Dani waited to be seen at the front desk, Cassie absent-mindedly flipped through the apps on her phone. She was not paying attention when Dani returned with a man in tow.

"Cassie." Dani said getting her partner's attention.

Cassie first looked up at Dani. She then shifted her attention to a newcomer who stood with Dani. A man, approximately six feet two inches tall, towered in front of her. He was attractive and Cassie attempted to hold back a smile. His head was covered in light brown curls that seemed to blend seamlessly into his brown skin. Through his well-tailored suit, one could tell he adhered to a regular workout regimen. Cassie stood.

Dani was highly aware of Cassie's reaction to her companion, and to be fair Dani's reaction was similar to Cassie's when he first introduced himself at the front desk. "Cassie this is Dylan Hunt. He's our new account manager."

Cassie held out her hand. Dylan shook it and gave Cassie a bright smile. "It's nice to meet you." Cassie said.

"Likewise." Dylan said releasing Cassie's hand.

"What happened to Anna?" Cassie asked.

"She took a new job elsewhere, so I'm her replacement. Not to worry though, I have all of the notes for your event. If you follow me, the three of us can have a seat in my office to discuss some of the newer details." Dylan said.

"That sounds fine." Dani said.

Cassie nodded her head in agreement.

Dylan led the trio from the lobby to the back of the hotel. He opened a door to a spacious office where there was a desk and a few chairs. Dylan pulled out two chairs for his guests before sitting down behind the desk.

"So," Dylan began as he reached for a file folder. "You have requested our grande ballroom for a masquerade gala."

"That's right. We had most of the details worked out with Anna." Cassie said as she pulled her own folder from her large handbag.

"Yes, I see. And you are sure you don't need our catering services? Our kitchen staff is top notch." Dylan said. He caught Cassie's eye in hopes to change the pair's mind.

Dani recognized Dylan's attempt to flirt with Cassie, and she was not okay with the situation, especially considering the conversation she and Cassie had earlier.

"No." Dani said shortly. "My husband is catering the event."

"We will, however, need some additional wait staff." Cassie said. She gave Dani a pointed look and Dani rolled her eyes.

Dylan watched the interaction between the two women and wondered what exactly was going on.

"Right, I'll make a note of that. I assume your husband will also need use of the kitchen as well." Dylan said.

"That is correct. He's actually worked with this hotel before, so his information should be on file. However, I also have his card. You can place it in our file, just in case." Dani said as she handed Dylan a business card.

"Thank you. I'll just clip this here." Dylan said. "What about the decorations? We have someone on staff who could help out with that as well."

"We've already hired someone so you don't need to worry about that either. They weren't available to come with us today. We'll bring them by at another time so they can have a look at the space." Dani explained.

"Fair enough." Dylan said. "Is there anything else then I can do for you?"

"If it's available, we'd also appreciate a look at the grande ballroom. I want to jot down some notes to take back to the rest of our party." Cassie said.

"That is not a problem. It's in the process of being cleaned out. We had an event in there earlier today, but I can give you guys a quick tour."

"Thank you." Cassie said.

"Yeah, thanks." Dani said as she and Cassie stood.

Dylan led Cassie and Dani to the grande ballroom on the other side of the hotel. As he stated, there were staff throughout cleaning up the remnants of a banquet. Dani's phone rang just as the group entered the room. She looked down at the caller id before answering. "I'm sorry, I've got to take this."

"It's fine." Dylan said.

Dani walked a few feet away to have a personal conversation. Dylan and Cassie continued their trek along perimeter of the room together. Cassie looked around the room trying to picture how it would look the evening of the gala. She imagined there'd be beautiful fall flower arrangements throughout the room with hints of elegant Halloween decorations.

Dylan watched Cassie for a few minutes as they quietly walked the room. From the moment he saw her, he was both fascinated and interested. He wanted to find out more about the curly-haired beauty that was quietly walking next to him. He decided the best way to achieve his goal was to start with a neutral and relevant topic. "So, this masquerade gala you're hosting..." he began.

"Yes?" Cassie said.

"I'm assuming it's more than just a party."

"It is actually more than just a party." Cassie laughed. "It's sort of a kickoff event for a nonprofit that we're getting started. This is the first major fundraiser."

"That sounds exciting." Dylan said.

"It is. I get to work with my best friend and do something good for the kids."

"So it's a charity for kids?"

"More or less. We want to make sure music remains available to kids in public schools." Cassie explained.

"And, Dani over there is your best friend?" Dylan asked with a raised eyebrow. Based on the interaction between the two of them, Dylan was skeptical of how close the two women actually were.

Cassie laughed and shook her head. "No Dani's a friend, just not my best friend. Jade brought us all together. Of our planning committee, Dani and I just happen to be the ones who are currently free at the moment."

"I see. So what's going on then between the two of you?" Dylan asked. "There seems to be some tension there."

Cassie looked to Dani who was still on the phone. "It's nothing really." Cassie said. "Just a bit of a disagreement is all."

Dylan nodded his head before changing the subject. "This may be a bit forward of me." He started.

Cassie tilted her head. She had a slight inclination of where Dylan's train of thought was heading.

"But I would love to have dinner with you sometime." Dylan said.

Cassie smiled politely. "Would this be a working dinner?"

Dylan laughed, "no I hope it won't be."

"You've known me for less than an hour and you're asking me out on a date." Cassie said.

"Too presumptuous of me?"

"Yes, very." Cassie said. "I don't know anything about you, except that you started working here a few weeks ago and you're now our account manager."

"Well," Dylan started, "if you allow me to take you out one evening, that would change. We could get to know each other."

"Dylan, I don't think a date would be a good idea." Cassie said.

"All because you don't know me?"

"Not entirely. I'm just not really looking for anyone to date at the moment." Cassie explained.

"So you're saying in the future, after you've known me for more than an hour, you would agree to go on a date with me?"

Cassie laughed at Dylan's persistence. "I guess there could be a possibility."

"Then I guess I'll just have to ask you at another time then." Dylan put on his most charming smile.

Dani looked over to where Dylan and Cassie were standing. She watched as Cassie smiled and shook her head at Dylan and wondered what was going on between the two of them. Dani did not want Cassie and Luke to continue with their current arrangement, but she also did not want to see Cassie with their new account manager either. Dani had a feeling that anything that sprung from the new business relationship between Cassie and Dylan could only end up hurting her closest friend.

Chapter 23 by carolinaheart

While Cassie and Dani toured the location for the charity fundraiser, Luke worked in his office. He was reading through a deposition Carmen took for him when someone knocked on his door. Before Luke could respond, Henry stepped inside. In his wake, came an older, somewhat portly gentleman and a young woman. With his thinning hair parted to the side and his skin slightly tan in color, the gentleman was at one point handsome. The young woman, whom Luke deduced was probably no older than he was, was attractive. Her thick auburn hair was pulled into a bun. She wore only a hint of make-up that accentuated her natural beauty. As Luke examined the unknown guests in his office, he noticed that the woman and the older man shared similar features. The shape and color of their eyes were the same-both round and blue. He assumed the pair were father and daughter.

"Luke," Henry started. "This is Ben Miller and his niece Lyndsey Hinton. He finally had some time to get down here."

Luke stood and walked across his office to greet his client. "Mr. Miller it's nice to meet you."

"Likewise." Mr. Miller said squeezing Luke's hand. "Henry says that you're the best. I only like to work with the best."

"I'm pretty damn good at what I do." Luke laughed confidently.

"That's good to know. Lyndsey here is also a lawyer. She's on my payroll, directly of course. It's nice to keep some things in the family."

"It's good to finally meet you Luke. My Uncle has been raving about Henry and his firm and how he's put the best on his account. I've been asking Uncle Ben to bring me down here to meet you since he hired your services months ago."

"I've had several conversations with Henry Lynds, and he's assured me he has relayed everything I need to this young man here." Mr. Miller told his niece. "Isn't that right Henry?" He asked facing the man to whom he was speaking.

"That's correct." Henry nodded.

"And I've been able to scan your files. I have a couple of open cases I want to finish up before I truly dive into your account." Luke smiled. "If I knew you were stopping by, I could have had your file in front of me in case there was anything you wanted to go over."

"Oh, that's not a problem, kid." Mr. Miller smiled.

"Actually Uncle Ben that would have been a great idea." Lyndsey said in contradiction to her uncle's previous statement.

Luke watched as Mr. Miller's facial expression changed from lighthearted and jovial, to something a bit sinister before returning to a more neutral state. The mood of the room changed with Mr. Miller's whims.

"I take it you want to look over my file then sweetheart?" Mr. Miller said. His voice dripped with slight annoyance and his head tilted to the side.

"Uncle Ben, I just want to make sure everything is in order. I get my incessant need of being in control of a situation from you. All those meetings by your side has taught me a thing or two." Lyndsey said, easily diffusing an escalating situation.

Luke could tell that Lyndsey was a woman who knew how to placate a controlling old man. He wondered what else she knew. "If you like Ms. Hinton, I can have my assistant bring in the file and we can go over it. What I was working on can wait a couple of hours." Luke smiled. "I'm ahead on my list of things to accomplish for the week so I have some time."

"See Ben, I told you Luke was the best." Henry said looking to Mr. Miller and clapping his hand on Mr. Miller's back. "How about we let these two kids talk business and you and I can go to my office. I have a nice bottle of bourbon in there you can sample." Mr. Miller nodded his head as Henry led him out of the room.

"Why don't you have a seat." Luke suggested as he picked up the phone.

Lyndsey sat quietly in the chair in front of Luke's desk.  She took an inventory of her surroundings, making note of the bookcases and the few decorations that the man before her allowed to occupy his space. After he put the phone back on its receiver, Luke sat down in his own chair.

"So," Lyndsey started. She looked Luke up and down. "You're the best this firm has to offer."

"I've been told that."

"And your clients are satisfied with you?"

"Ninety-five percent of the time." Luke responded.

"What about the other five percent?"

"There are some people even I can't satisfy despite how favorable the outcome of their problems are. Those people are idiots." Luke said honestly.

Lyndsey smiled. "I like you."

"It's good to know I have your approval." Luke laughed.

"Oh you need it. If I don't like you, Uncle Ben won't like you. It's rarely a good thing if my uncle doesn't like you." Lyndsey said.

"I'll make a note of that."

"As you should."  Lindsey reached for a frame that sat facing Luke and turned it around. "You know if you have pictures in your office, you should really display them."

"They are displayed." Luke said. "I can see them just fine."

"But your guests can't." Lyndsey said. "Is this your son?" She pointed to the picture in the frame she had just moved.

"No, my godson AJ."

"He's cute." Lyndsey placed the picture back in its place.

"I think so." 

Before any more could be said about the pictures on his desk, a tall redheaded man showed up in the doorway of the office. "Excuse me," he said as a way to gain the occupants' attention, "Laurie asked me to give these to you." The man placed a box of file folders on Luke's desk.

"Thanks Jack." Luke said.

Jack simply nodded his head before exiting the room. Lyndsey stood and closed the door. Luke raised an eyebrow at the woman's actions.

"What's in my uncle's files really should not be fodder for your office gossip mill." Lyndsey said as she sat back down.

"What do you mean?" Luke asked confused. "There is no reason for your uncle to be the subject of any gossip around here. He's a real estate mogul with numerous businesses throughout the city. I'd say the most exciting thing about him is that he's looking to expand internationally."

Lyndsey gave Luke a knowing smile and shook her head. "I thought they said you were the best. If you were, you would have done some simple online research to see what they say about my uncle and how he conducts his business."

"Is there something I should know about, something you want to tell me Ms. Hinton?"

"It's Lyndsey, and if you haven't found it out for yourself, I'm not going to tell you." She said cryptically.

Trying to get a better read on her, Luke studied Lyndsey. There was something she was not saying about her uncle that seemed like it could be important in the long run. Luke made a note to himself to check into what she was saying. However, if she was unwilling to help him with her uncle's account, Luke had to wonder why she stayed behind in the first place.

"Why are you still here if not to give me any information I may be lacking?" Luke asked.

"You want the truth?" Lyndsey said.

Luke rolled his eyes. "No, I want you to lie to me. Of course I want the truth."

"You are attractive and I wanted to see if my attraction to you is more than just physical." Lyndsey said.

"And your conclusion...?"

Lyndsey stood. "I haven't decided yet. I need more time." She walked to the door. Before turning the doorknob, Lyndsey turned around. "In all seriousness, you need to dive a little deeper into my uncle's files and read up about him online. As with most things, with Uncle Ben, there is more than what meets the eye. If you are going to have his account, I want you to know what you're in for. You need to be all in when it comes to him." She warned.

Lyndsey walked out of the door and Luke watched as she walked away through the cubicles and toward the elevators. "That wasn't cryptic at all." Luke said to no one in particular. He then reached for his phone and dialed Carmen's desk. "Carmen." Luke said into the receiver after the young lawyer picked up. "I need you to come to my office, get the Miller files that are on my desk, and give me a thorough background. Do some Internet research too. I'm about to go grab a sandwich for lunch."

"Okay." Carmen said from the other end of the line.

 

Luke stood and picked up his suit jacket from the back of his chair. He needed some fresh air with his food and time to think about both his new client and his alluring niece. 

Chapter 24 by carolinaheart
Author's Notes:

It's been a really long time, but here is a new chapter. 

The sun was high in the sky and its rays heated the air around them as they stepped out of the 25th street station. Cassie and Luke were spending a Saturday afternoon in late August exploring the city. After their first get together at the movie theater, Cassie decided she wanted to rediscover New York City. In the twelve years she spent in the city, Cassie never truly explored her surroundings. Since she now had the time, and a reluctantly willing victim, Cassie made a point to regularly visit someplace new. 

Luke was curious about their current outing. Generally, he was okay with Cassie’s picks, but he found it suspicious that she remained tight-lipped about their destination. When they went on these adventures, Cassie would give Luke an idea of where they were going, if not tell him outright. Their outings were not always just the two of them. Some weekends, Cassie managed to convince Alex and Dani or Carmen out with them. This particular weekend, however, he was her sole victim.

They walked a block before Cassie stopped in front of  a gate. Luke read the sign to the right and balked. 

“Cassie, we’re at a cemetery.” Luke said. He looked at his companion and tilted his head. He hoped this was not their destination.

“Yes, this is the Green-Wood Cemetery.” Cassie said as she continued walking down the drive. There were a number of other people doing the same.

“This is where we’re spending the afternoon?” Luke asked. He was still in shock.

“Yes Luke. It’s a historical place. It’s the oldest cemetery in the city. I think it would be fun to explore it. “ Cassie said. 

They walked through the large ornate gothic arches of the main entrance. There were a number of people walking around. Just inside the archway was a line of trollies.

“Wait here.” Cassie said. She disappeared into the main office. When she returned she was holding a pair of tickets. 

“What are those?” Luke asked suspiciously. 

“I  bought tickets for the Trolley Tour. It’s about two hours and goes around the cemetery.” Cassie explained.

“We are actually spending our Saturday in a cemetery?”

“Don’t think about it like that Luke. It’s a tour through a part of New York City history.” Cassie smiled.

Luke shook his head and reluctantly agreed. “Fine.” Cassie was an enigma; Luke figured that out long ago. She had many different interests and talents. It never ceased to amaze him when he discovered a new facet of his friend. Their Fourth of July tour was evidence enough that Cassie could be a bit of a history nerd, but that was understandable. What he could not get over was that Cassie had no reservations about spending the day in a cemetery.

They boarded the trolley with the rest of the people waiting around. At every stop, Cassie made sure to take plenty of photos. He was the subject of many of the pictures she took, but that was nothing new. Cassie took her camera with her every time they went out. She would instruct him to stand by different statutes, or in this particular case tombstones. Luke could not help but smile. 

The trolley pulled into a circle. It stopped in front of the stone chapel.

“Look at that!” Cassie exclaimed as she looked out the window. She was completely enthralled by the beauty of the 100-year-old chapel. The other occupants of the trolly began to get up and make their way off of the vehicle. Luke and Cassie did the same. 

“Okay everyone gather around.” The tour guide instructed.

Cassie and Luke joined the group in front of their docent. 

“As you may have guessed, this is the Historic Green-Wood Chapel. Construction was completed in 1911. It was designed by architectural firm Warren and Wetmore. The firm also designed the exterior for Grande Central Terminal and the primary clubhouse for the New York City Yacht Club. This chapel was actually restored in 2001. It can hold about one hundred people. If any of you are interested, you can host events and ceremonies here. Earlier this weekend we had a wedding; you might see a few petals that we missed in the clean up. If you are interested, you can inquire about the process and costs at the main office. Let’s go inside.” 

The group walked into the chapel. Cassie was awestruck. Despite it’s limited seating and intimate nature, the chapel still maintained a sense of grandeur. The high vaulted stone ceilings would carry sound well. Cassie tried to imagine what a lone piano or a string quartet would sound like in such a space. 

Luke watched Cassie with fascination. Part of the reason he was willing to go on Cassie’s adventures was because he enjoyed seeing how she reacted to something she found impressive. In their time together, Luke noticed there were a few emotions—glee and wonder being a couple—Cassie was incapable of hiding, despite her tendency to try and guard what she was feeling. 

Cassie turned around to face Luke. She felt him staring, something she noticed happening more frequently. It was also something she tried to ignore. 

“This place is awe-inspiring.” Cassie said.

Luke nodded his head. “It’s pretty nice.”

“Just ‘pretty nice?’” Cassie asked. She shook her head and walked away. 

When they were back outside in the open air, Cassie looked through the lens of her camera to take a photo. Luke stepped up next to her and waited for her to finish what she was doing.

“I’ll admit this place is more than just ‘pretty nice.’” Luke said when Cassie brought the camera away from her face.

Cassie smiled and turned to her friend. “That’s it? That’s all you can come up with?” Cassie laughed.

“It’s interesting and pretty nice.” Luke amended.

“Where is your sense of wonder?” Cassie asked.

Luke shrugged his shoulders and Cassie slightly hung her head. 

“Go stand over there.” Cassie said changing the subject. She pointed to a spot in front of the chapel doors.

Luke did as instructed. He stood in front of the doors with his hands in his pockets.

Cassie snapped a few photos before bringing the camera back down to her waist. 

“Are you done?” Luke asked.

“Yeah.” Cassie said. 

Luke began to walk back to Cassie. He noticed another tour member walk up to her and asked her a question. He was holding a camera similar to Cassie’s. Cassie nodded at the man before handing her camera over to him. Luke stopped and watched as Cassie walked up to him.

“He offered to take a picture of us.” Cassie said.

“I see.” He walked with Cassie back to the door. 

The pair stood side-by-side. Cassie put a hand on her hip and Luke, snaked an arm around her waist. 

“Okay smile on three. One, two, three.” The man holding Cassie’s camera said. “I got it. Do you want another one?” 

“Um… sure.” Cassie said. She would not protest taking more than one version of a photo. Cassie had a habit of always taking three pictures of the same thing.

“Alright then. Same thing, smile on three.” 

The man started his count down again. However, Luke wanted to have a little fun on the second go-round.  When the man got to two, Luke tickled Cassie’s side causing her to curl her body to avoid the sensation. Luke stopped his devious distraction and Cassie swatted him on the arm.  

“That was not nice.” Cassie said still out of breath from laughing. She walked away from Luke to retrieve her camera.

“The second picture turned out pretty good.” The man said handing the expensive digital camera back to Cassie.

“Thanks.” She smiled.

Luke joined Cassie as she made her way back to the trolley. 

After the tour ended, Cassie and Luke left the cemetery. They took the subway back to Cassie’s side of town and stopped to buy take out for an early dinner at Cassie’s apartment. 

The pair found themselves standing in a small Indian restaurant. The place bustled with busy people and the air was filled with the scintillating smells of Indian spices. Luke looked around at the crowded space.

“What are you looking for?” Cassie asked. 

“Just the bathroom, and there it is.” Luke said as he spotted a door at the back of the building.

“You can’t wait until we get to my place? I can only assume this place does not have the cleanest bathrooms.”

Luke shook his head as he began to move toward his target. “No, I’ve been holding it for a while. It will take me no time. I doubt the food will even be ready before I get back.” 

“Right.” Cassie said to no one in particular as Luke had already disappeared. She studied the diverse group of people that currently occupied her favorite Indian restaurant. There was a small family in the corner, a little girl with her dad and brother. Cassie watched them and her mind began to wander.

“Ms. Mitchell.”

Cassie looked up at the sound of her name. A wide grin broke out across her face as she recognized the man who was vying for her attention.

“Dylan, this is a surprise.” Cassie said. 

“It is, it is.” Dylan said nodding. “You come here often?” 

Cassie laughed at Dylan’s lame attempt at a joke. “Actually, I do. My apartment is not far from here, and I love the food. It’s probably the best place to get authentic Indian in the city. At least, that’s my opinion.”

“I’d have to agree.” Dylan smiled. 

Cassie’s grin grew wider in response to Dylan’s smile.

From across the restaurant, Luke watched Cassie’s encounter with a man he did not know. As he maneuvered his way back to his companion, Luke felt jealousy growing in the pit of his stomach. Standing next to Cassie was a man with model qualities, touching her arm and making her laugh. Even from a distance, Luke could see that Cassie’s reactions were genuine. 

When he reached the pair, Luke lightly put his hand on the small of Cassie’s back. It was an unconscious effort, on his part, to stake his claim. He felt Cassie lean slightly closer to him as she turned her head and smiled. 

“You’re back. Were the bathrooms as I suggested?” She asked.

“They weren’t too bad. Who’s this?” Luke asked as he resisted the urge to pull Cassie even closer to him.

Dylan was not an idiot, and he could take a hint. His smile faded somewhat at the prospect of Cassie not being at the restaurant alone.

“Luke this is Dylan. He is our account manager for the fundraiser.” Cassie explained.

Dylan offered his hand to Luke, “nice to meet you.”

“Likewise.” Luke said as he firmly grabbed and shook Dylan’s hand.

The tension between the two men began to escalate and Cassie began to feel uncomfortable.

“Number 102,” a voice called over the loud speaker.

Cassie sighed with relief. “That’s our order Luke. Meet me outside?” 

Luke glanced at Dylan once more before relenting. “Yeah, I’ll meet you outside.” He removed his hand from Cassie’s back and went to retrieve their food. 

“Well, I’m still waiting on my order.” Dylan said holding up his ticket as proof. 

“Of course.” Cassie nodded. “It was nice seeing you again. I’ve got to…” Cassie pointed to the door and began to move away from Dylan.

“Right.” Dylan felt the need to say more.  Before he could come up with a reason to continue their conversation, Cassie was out of the door on the sidewalk. He stared at her from inside the restaurant as she observed the world around her. Dylan felt someone brush by him, so he turned to see who the culprit was. He watched as Luke went out the door and over to the woman he had been observing. The pair walked down the sidewalk away from the restaurant as they carried on what looked to be a fascinating conversation.

 

 

Chapter 25 by carolinaheart
Author's Notes:

Another chapter, for anyone who's still reading.

“So Dylan.” Luke said as he and Cassie entered her apartment. Luke followed her into the kitchen. 

“What about him?” Cassie asked pulling two bottles of water out of her refrigerator. She placed them next to the food that Luke had set on the counter and went to open one of her cabinets.

“He seemed nice.” Luke continued. He wanted more information about the man he met in the Indian restaurant. However, Cassie did not seem as if she would be forthcoming.

“He is. He’s good at his job.” Cassie said. She pulled two white plates off of the shelf in the cabinet and placed them on the counter.

“That’s all I’m getting?” Luke questioned with raised eyebrows.

“What do you mean ‘that’s all you’re getting’? There really isn’t that much to tell. Dani and I met him the other day at the hotel. We talked about the fundraiser, he showed us around the space and he asked me out.” Cassie shrugged at the last part of her explanation.

“He asked you out?” Luke asked. He tried to hold back his disbelief at how casual Cassie seemed to be about the whole thing. 

“Yes.” Cassie said dragging out the one syllable word. “It wasn’t a big deal; it’s not a big deal.”

“Did you say yes?” 

“Would it matter if I did?” Cassie challenged. She was playing with fire, and she knew it. But for some reason the idea of getting burned did not seem to phase her at the moment. 

“Cassie…” Luke began, but  his friend interrupted him.

“Luke, we aren’t dating.”

“I know.”

“This arrangement we have, it’s just fun. Nothing serious.” Cassie said. She turned around to open a drawer.

“Yeah Cassie, I know that.” Luke sighed quietly. He was quickly becoming tired of whatever it was he and Cassie were doing.  “I’m going to use your bathroom.” Luke said.

Cassie turned around placing forks and knives on the plates she took out earlier. She looked at Luke. “Again?” She asked. “Do you have a bladder problem or something?” She joked.

Luke said nothing as he left the room and found his way to Cassie’s half-bath. It was a small room with a toilet and a sink decorated in shades of teal and blue with hints of brown. He stood with his hands on the sink staring at his reflection in the mirror. “Don’t do this.” Luke said to himself. The day had been perfect up until their run-in with Dylan. Dylan, the man could be a model. Luke thought to himself. He would not blame Cassie for wanting to date the other man, but it hurt for him to think that she wanted to. Especially since she had said time and again she was not ready for anything serious. 

Taking a deep breath, Luke turned on the water in the sink and cupped his hands under its steady flow. He allowed a small pool to form before bringing his hands to his face and splashing the water they held onto his face. He took the hand towel from the rack and patted his face dry. Luke knew he could not hide away all evening in Cassie’s bathroom. He took another deep breath sucking in as much air as his lungs would hold before letting it all out. Cassie can date if she wants,  Luke thought, we both can for that matter. Like she said, nothing serious. 

Luke made up his mind to put Dylan and the possibilities between Dylan and Cassie out of his head. He just wanted to enjoy the rest of the day with his friend. He turned off the light in the bathroom and stepped into the hallway. 

Luke walked towards the kitchen where he assumed Cassie would be. However, he found that she and the food had migrated from the kitchen to the living room. Pushed aside were the books and photo albums on the coffee table, in their place were two containers of Indian food, two plates, two bottles of water and two forks. Cassie sat on the floor with her legs crossed facing the sofa. She looked up when she heard him enter the room. “You’re okay right?” Cassie asked. She had done some thinking of her own while Luke was in the bathroom. She realized that perhaps she should have responded differently to Luke’s questions about Dylan. Cassie did not want to hurt Luke, and for a brief moment she even considered that Dani might have been right about consequences of their current arrangement. But she did not want to think about that and looking at Luke, he seemed to have come to the same conclusion.

“Yeah, everything’s fine.” Luke said. He joined her on the opposite side of the table and leaned back against the sofa. He glanced over to the kitchen where two barstools rested on one side of the island. He then looked over to the modest dining room area. The dark wood table was clear and had placemats sitting on it. 

“Is there something wrong with eating at the table, or in your kitchen?” Luke asked as a way of lightening the mood. He began to pile food onto his plate.

“No, I just prefer to eat in the living room. I haven’t really thought about why.” Cassie said.

“I see.” 

As the pair ate, they talked about the summer weather and plans for the fall. They steered clear of any subjects that would send them back to discussing Dylan and exactly where they stood with each other.  When they finished eating, they continued to sit and talk. The plates remained on the coffee table along with the empty containers.

“So,” Cassie said as the current conversation reached a natural conclusion, “did you enjoy the cemetery?” 

“It was different. I don’t tend to visit graveyards for recreational purposes.” Luke laughed.

“Neither do I, but this place was more than just your average cemetery.” 

“I know you’re right, but could you imagine getting married in a place like that?” Luke asked. The question was out before he could think; he waited with bated breath for Cassie’s reaction. 

The question did not have the effect that Luke assumed it would, and Cassie just shrugged. She had not really thought about it. “The chapel was gorgeous though. I can see how it appeals to people.”

“I guess.” Luke said deciding to continue on with the conversation as if it had no potential to lead to topics neither of them were ready to discuss.

“It also gives a bit of perspective to the term ‘Till death do us part.’” Cassie said.

Luke laughed at Cassie’s observation. 

“Where were you going to get married?” Cassie asked suddenly. The air in the room changed and tension could be felt all around. “You and your fiancé.” Cassie was not sure why she posed the question. But after she said it, she knew she actually wanted to know. She was curious about the woman Luke almost married. 

“Umm… well,” Luke began. He was taken off guard by Cassie’s question. “A botanical garden in Louisiana.” Luke said.

“Louisiana?” Cassie questioned. “That’s quite a ways from here.” 

“That’s an understatement and you know it.” Luke said. “But Sam, my fiancé, was from there. She wanted her family to be able to make it to the wedding. And it wouldn’t be too hard to get my family there as well.” 

Cassie nodded her head. “How close were you to the wedding day when she left?” 

“Why are you asking all of these questions?” Luke asked. He was not trying to accuse Cassie of anything, but their conversation did seem a little odd, especially after the way their earlier conversation went.

“I don’t know. I guess I’m just curious. You don’t talk about it much.”

“You don’t talk about Christian much either.” Luke noted.

Cassie smiled and remained silent.

“We were about 10 weeks out when Sam called it off.” Luke said answering Cassie’s question.

Neither said anything for a moment. Cassie began to gather the plates and trash from their meal. Luke stood to help her. 

While Cassie rinsed off  a plate before loading it into the dishwasher, Luke spoke. “What about you and Christian? I know things ended, and you mentioned it had been a bit rocky, but you were together for a long time. Did you guys ever consider making it more official?” 

Cassie put the plate into the bottom rack of the dishwasher. She stood facing the sink with her back to Luke. She gripped the edge of the sink for a few seconds before she turned around. “Only in my head.” Cassie laughed mirthlessly at the old idea. 

There was no joy or comedy in Cassie’s laugh. It was more desperate than it was anything else, and Luke picked up on that. 

Cassie quietly finished rinsing the rest of their dishes and putting them in the dishwasher. Luke stood and watched not sure what to say.

“Cassie?” Luke said when the door of the dishwasher closed.

“I had this idea.” Cassie said turning around to face Luke. “This idea of what our lives would be like. And over and over again, he seemed to just take a pin and pop all of those dreams.”

Luke remained quiet. There was nothing he could say.

“You know, I wanted a house, maybe a dog and a picket fence. And I know it’s crazy, we live in New York City. Picket fences aren’t exactly practical. But it’s the image I had in my head. It was everything I wanted at some point. He was everything I wanted.” Cassie said. 

“And now?” Luke asked. He was not expecting Cassie to open up as much as she had, but he was happy she did. He wanted to help her feel better. He wanted to help Cassie get back at least a piece of who she was before Christian. The best way for Luke to do that was to just be there and to just listen.

“Now, I don’t know anymore.” Cassie sighed defeated. 

At that moment, Luke’s instinct was to hold Cassie. And that is exactly what he did. He crossed the modest kitchen and pulled her into a hug. Cassie did not resist. She was grateful to have Luke around.

“It’s fine that you don’t know.” Luke said. “You don’t need to know everything right now; you don’t have to plan everything right now.”

“It’d be nice to at least have an idea though.”

“Yeah, it’d be nice, but it’s not a necessity, Cassie.” Luke said. He pulled away and stared down into her eyes and smiled. “Things have a way of working itself out.” Luke said.

Cassie nodded her head as she took a step back from Luke. She leaned back on the kitchen sink, her hands once again gripping the metal behind her.  Cassie took in a deep breath and slowly let it out. “Do you want to see some of the photos from today? We can connect the camera to my television.” Cassie said changing the subject. She needed a distraction.

Luke understood. “That sounds like a plan.” 

Chapter 26 by carolinaheart
Author's Notes:

So...my birthday is Saturday. My gift to you..2 new chapters!

Monday Luke walked into the firm early in the morning. Most of the staff would not come in for another hour. Luke appreciated the quiet atmosphere. It gave him a chance to power through work with no interruptions. After entering his office, Luke sat his briefcase in his office chair. The first thing he did was pull out a picture frame. His most recent weekend adventure with Cassie yielded a fun picture of the pair at the cemetery. She emailed a copy of the photo to him. Luke liked it so much that he printed it out and put it in a picture frame during his spare time on Sunday. He placed the frame on the corner of his desk. It was a nice addition to his limited desk decorations. Luke smiled; Cassie would balk at knowing he had printed and displayed a picture of them on his desk. Luke sat down and began to work on a case that was set to go to court in the next couple of weeks.

The office began to fill with people. Lawyers, secretaries and paralegals went about their everyday business. Luke did not notice. He was concentrating on the depositions sitting in front of him. A knock on the door broke his concentration.

Luke looked out of the glass wall to see who was on the other side. It was his secretary Laurie.

"Come on in Laurie." Luke called. He waved her in.

Laurie, a petite blonde with brown eyes and unnaturally tan skin opened the door and stood in the doorway.

"Good morning, Luke. Did you want more coffee?" Laurie asked.

"Um...no I'm good for now. Thanks." Luke said.

Laurie nodded her head. "What time did you get in this morning?" Laurie asked.

"I think it was a little before seven. I wanted to get a head start on some things. I didn't really have a chance to work on any of this over the weekend." Luke explained.

"I see." Laurie glanced at his desk and noticed the new picture frame sitting in the corner. "What's this?" Laurie asked as she walked into the office and picked up the object in question. She looked at the photo; a goofy grin began to spread across her face. "Is this the new girlfriend?"

Luke stood. He reached across the desk and gently pulled the frame from Laurie's grip. "No, that's Cassie.  She's a friend."

"The one you have me block time off in your calendar for lunch dates." Laurie said with a knowing smirk.

"They aren't dates." Luke said putting the picture frame back in its place on the corner of his desk. He then sat back down. "There's a deli that she likes to go to, and I get a lot of my meals there too. We just meet up for lunch."

"U-huh." Laurie said. "And is that who you spent the weekend with?"

Luke was getting tired of Laurie's inquisition. "Laurie, don't you have work to do-calls to set up or something, anything that does not involve you asking questions about my personal life?"

Laurie rolled her eyes at Luke's brush-off. "I was actually coming in here to remind you about the Labor Day picnic next week. Henry stopped by and said he expects to see you there. He'd rather have you mingling with clients and potential clients than have you holed up in your office working."

"I hate those things." Luke said.

"You need to be there." Laurie said.

Every Labor Day, the firm hosted a picnic. Staff members were expected to bring their family and the firm also invited a few of the top clients out for an afternoon of bonding with their lawyers. Luke never really understood the purpose of the affair. Most people did not willingly deal with their lawyers outside of when they were in some kind of legal trouble. Every year Laurie reminded him it was the firm's way of showing their customers they were appreciated.

"The Partners are expecting me specifically or all of the Junior Partners?" Luke asked.

"Henry said you specifically. You should bring your girlfriend." Laurie said as she sashayed out of his office.

Shortly after Laurie left, Carmen stopped in the doorway holding a manila file folder. "What did Laurie want?"

"Oh, she was reminding me about the picnic." Luke said leaning back in his chair.

"Are you going?" Carmen asked stepping into the office. She sat down in one of the two chairs in front of Luke's desk.

"I guess I have to. Laurie said Henry specifically said he wanted me there. I hate those things." Luke said.

"I know. Since I've been here you have never gone to one of the picnics." Carmen said.

"What's with the file?" Luke asked. He did not want to continue to dwell on the company picnic.

"I was reviewing the files from your new account like you asked." Carmen said. "I came across this and I think you should take a look at it." Carmen handed the folder to Luke.

Luke opened the file and scanned its contents. "Oh." He said.

"My thoughts exactly. This guy does not seem like a good guy." Carmen said.

"He's our client." Luke said.

"He was a murder suspect a couple of months ago. You would think that's the kind of thing he'd disclose when hiring a new firm."

"You would think. He was never charged though, so it's not really our problem at the moment."

"But why would a real-estate mogul be a suspect in the death of a gun-for-hire?" Carmen asked.

Luke did not say anything. He was mulling over the details, a few of which seemed familiar. 

"Don't you have anything to say?" Carmen asked.

Luke looked up. "No, not really. Until something concrete lands on our desks, there isn't much we need to do for Mr. Miller." Luke said. It was the truth. He would worry about defending his client when there was something to fight. Until then, Luke had other cases to work on.

"I was just doing as you asked." Carmen said.

"Great. Thanks. Don't you have another case you're working on?"

"Yes, I'm just waiting for some things to be confirmed before I move forward. I'm a woman, I can multitask." Carmen stood. "I'll leave you to finish what you were working on." Carmen left Luke to his thoughts.

Luke continued to mull over the conversation he had with Carmen. He could not put his finger on why the details she gave him stuck a chord with him. Luke shook his head to dispel the impeding thoughts. He needed to get back to work.

Luke weaved his way down the block trying to avoid the end of lunch rush. Most people seemed to be making a mad dash toward whatever work they needed to complete after lunch. Luke raced to be on time for a late meal with Cassie. She called Luke a few hours after he arrived at the office in the morning. Cassie had errands to run nearby and wanted to know if he would like to get a quick bite to eat around one. It was now precisely 1:03.

Luke was late. It was a fact Cassie would chastise him for when he arrived. Until then, she decided to run through her list of things she needed to accomplish and adding mental notes beside the ones that needed them. She sat at the outdoor seating of the cafe and enjoyed the sun on her skin. The door to the restaurant opened and a young man walked over to Cassie's table. 

"Would you like to go ahead and order a drink?"  The young man asked. He was her waiter for the afternoon.

Cassie looked away from her notepad. "Yes. Just a glass of water." She bent her head down to go back to working on her list. Out of the corner of her eye she recognized a figure coming toward her. It was Luke. "If you hold on just a second the rest of my party will be here soon." Cassie said. She pointed to Luke who seemed to be speed walking through the numerous people on the sidewalk.

"That's not a problem."

Luke spotted Cassie. She was sitting at a table outside. There was a man, whom Luke assumed was the waiter, standing close by. Luke caught her eye and she waved. He walked into the fenced-off area and joined Cassie.

"Can I get your drink order?" The waiter asked Luke.

"Water." Luke replied.

The young man walked away leaving the pair alone.

"You are late." Cassie said.

"I know. I'm sorry." Luke said.

"Don't you ever get tired of hearing that?" Cassie asked.

"One would think." Luke said. He picked up the menu and perused it for something to eat. "Have you had lunch here before?" Luke asked changing the subject.

"On occasion." Cassie said.

Luke was not surprised. In addition to Cassie's love of history, Luke discovered she had a desire to visit as many eateries in the city as possible. He could only guess the number of places she had already tried.

 "Have you?" Cassie asked.

"Have I what?"

"Have you eaten here before."

"No. I've passed it several times, but I never stopped in. I'm always in a hurry." Luke said.

"Such enthralling work you must do." Cassie laughed.

"I enjoy it." Luke defended.

"I know you do."

The waiter came back to their table with glasses of water. "Are you ready to order, or do you need some more time?"

"More time please." Cassie said looking over to Luke. She could tell he was still trying to decide what he wanted to eat. The waiter nodded his head and walked back inside.

Luke looked up from the menu at Cassie. She had turned her head away from the table and was focusing on something in the distance. It was one of those moments where he decided to just admire the view. It was also one of those moments that made him question his sanity; how could he ever agree to their current arrangement. While Cassie stated in no uncertain terms that she wanted ‘no attachment,' it was hard for Luke not to form one.

"You are staring at me." Cassie said when she turned her focus back to Luke.

"I'm not. I was thinking."

"About?" Cassie asked.

"Nothing in particular."

"Right." Cassie said. She mentally shook off her skepticism and changed the subject. Cassie was not sure she even wanted to know what Luke was thinking. Their friendship meant a lot to her, and they seemed to be doing very well in the sex category too. They had set rules, which included not talking about their arrangement. But there were moments when Cassie and Luke would come dangerously close to broaching the topic. In those moments, Cassie felt that Luke might want more than what she was ready to give; Luke's reaction to Dylan was evidence of that fact. Despite her huge steps forward, Cassie still guarded her heart against any potential romantic threats.

"Is Alex cooking for Labor Day next week?" Cassie asked. Though she talked to Dani earlier in the week, Cassie forgot to ask about the upcoming holiday. Jade was, once again, spending it with Sean. Even if the singer were not meeting Sean's family, Cassie still would not spend the holiday with the couple.

"I don't think so. They usually have plans to visit his family in Albany." Luke said. "You don't have plans with Jade?"

"No. She and Sean are going to Atlanta. Jade's meeting the family." Cassie said.

"It sounds like things are getting serious between them." Luke said.

"It is." Cassie sighed.

Luke knew that Cassie did not approve of Jade's relationship with Sean. But he could not get a grasp on why. From his limited interactions with the music megastar, Luke gleaned that Sean was not a bad guy and he was very into Jade. Luke had a feeling that Cassie's disapproval had less to do with Sean and more to do with Jade. But he decided not to press the matter.

"What are your plans for Labor Day?" Cassie asked. She wanted to go back to their original conversation.

"There is a company picnic. The firm hosts a joint family and customer appreciation picnic every year. I try to avoid it at all costs. This year I'm being pressured into going."

"Sounds like fun." Cassie said. Luke easily picked up on her sarcastic tone.

"You should join me."

"I don't think so." Cassie laughed.

"No, you really should. I let you drag me to that cemetery this past weekend." Luke said.

"And you enjoyed yourself, and I was eager to go. You don't even want to go the damn picnic yourself. Why would you ask me to go?"

"You could be my excuse?"

"Your excuse for what?" Cassie asked confused.

"If I go by myself, I'll be expected to stay for a certain amount of time. But if you come along, I could say you weren't feeling well or something and we could tip out early." Luke explained.

"I don't know."

"If you come, I promise not to comment the next time we go to a museum, or whatever other place you decide to explore next." Luke said.

Cassie turned the idea over in her head for a while. A slow grin began to form on her face. "Fine. I'll join you."

Luke could see a mischievous glint in Cassie's eye. "What have I got myself into now?" Luke said.

 

Cassie laughed. "I haven't decided yet."

Chapter 27 by carolinaheart
Author's Notes:

2nd upload. Originally left off about 800 words from the end. Sorry.

A couple of days later, Luke and Carmen sat in his office putting the finishing touches on a real estate deal.

"You're getting pretty good at this Carmen." Luke said. He was proud of  the work his protege was accomplishing.

"Thanks." Carmen gathered the papers and tapped them on the desk to put them in order before placing them in their appropriate folder.

"That's a new one." Carmen pointed to the photo of Luke and Cassie.

"Yeah, it's from Cassie's last outing. The one you missed because you had a hot date..."

Carmen rolled her eyes. "It was just the two of you this time right?"

"Yup." Luke said as he leaned back in his desk chair. "She dragged me to a cemetery."

"How romantic." Carmen laughed.

"It wasn't a date, Carmen. It was just two friends hanging out."

Carmen shook her head and moved on to another subject. "So will she be going to the Labor Day picnic too?"

"I was able to convince her to go,yes. Why?"

"No reason."

"You have a reason for asking. I know you." Luke said.

"It's just that the company picnic is a family thing. People will think that she's family."

"What? Why would I care what ‘people' think?" Luke asked.

"It might hurt your chances with one of the many eligible ladies around here who have their eye on you."

"Carmen, I have a strict rule of not mixing business with pleasure.

"Of course you do. What about Mr. Miller's niece?" Carmen asked.

"What do you mean?"

"I saw her when she left your office the last week..."

"I just met her last week. As you know, she wanted to talk about her uncle's account."

"Luke, I'm a woman. I know when another woman is into someone, and she's definitely into you."

Luke shook his head, "and you got that from seeing her leave my office?"

"The body talks." Carmen smirked.

Before Luke could respond there was a knock on the door. Luke looked away from his companion, "come in." He said to whoever was waiting outside his office.

The door opened slightly and Laurie's head appeared in the crack. "Luke, I'm sorry to interrupt, but you have a visitor." Laurie explained.

"Who is it?" Luke asked.

During the exchange between Luke and Laurie, Carmen stood with the files they were working on in hand.

"A Miss. Lyndsey Hinton."

Luke nodded his head, "let her in." Laurie closed the door. Luke heard the woman walk away from the office. He stood and looked to Carmen who was walking toward the exit.

"You're heading out of here fast." Luke commented.

"Yeah, well I didn't want to be the third wheel when your ‘guest' arrives." Carmen teased.

Luke shook his head at Carmen's antics, she acted just like an annoying little sister would. "She's probably stopping by on business." Luke said.

"Right, of course she is." Carmen rolled her eyes. "I bet you any kind of money that this is more than just a friendly business call."

"Why don't you stay and find out." Luke bated.

"I actually have lunch plans, and if I do not leave now, I will be late. Unlike you, I do not take pride in making people wait."

"That little trait of mine is not something I am proud of. Do you have any idea how much Cassie takes pleasure in teasing me about my flaw."

Carmen laughed. She wondered if Luke realized how easy it was for him to work Cassie into any conversation. She began to notice the tactic a few weeks earlier. Carmen was sure that there was more going on between the pair of friends than either was willing to admit.

"Do you make a conscious effort to mention Cassie in so many conversations, or is it something you just can't help?" Carmen asked.

Luke tilted his head and raised an eyebrow at Carmen's question. "What do you mean?"

"I make a comment about your uncanny ability to be late to everything, and you mention Cassie. I've noticed lately you do that a lot."

"Do what?" Luke asked.

"Work Cassie into a conversation that really has nothing to do with her."

Not sure how to respond to Carmen's observation, Luke remained silent. Since they started sleeping together, Cassie had been on his mind more and more. The more time he spent with his friend, the more his feelings began to grow, and the harder it became to hide his feelings for the stubborn and resistant Cassie.

"That's what I thought." Carmen opened the door to Luke's office to find a woman she had only seen from across the room standing in front of her.

"Hello," Lyndsey said. "Looks like I have some pretty good timing."

"Yeah, you do. I was just leaving." Carmen said to the woman in front of her. "Luke," she turned to face her mentor, "we'll finish this discussion at a later date." She then stepped around Lyndsey and out of the door.

Lyndsey made her way into the office and closed the door behind her. "Well, that was interesting."

Luke laughed nervously, "that was Carmen. She's a junior associate, and my protege. She helps me out on a number of cases and accounts."

"I see."

"So, what brings you in today?" Luke asked. He extended his arm indicating that Lyndsey should sit down. After the office's other occupant sat in one of the chairs in front of his desk. Luke sat in his own overstuffed leather chair.

"Nothing in particular. I was in the area and thought I'd stop by."

"Really?" Luke asked skeptically. It was obvious to him that there was an ulterior motive for Lyndsey's unplanned visit, but he could not be certain if that motive was business or personal.

Ignoring Luke's tone, Lyndsey began to speak again. "Yes, that and I wanted to see if you would like to have lunch with me."

Luke laughed, "I see, and would this be a business lunch?"

"If I say no, would you still come eat with me?"

Luke contemplated Lyndsey's proposition. As he stated to Carmen earlier, he really did have boundaries and personal as well as professional rules about fraternizing with a client. "If you are asking me to have lunch with you as a date Lyndsey, I would have to decline."

Lyndsey nodded before reaching across Luke's desk to pick up his newest picture. She studied the face of the woman in the framed photo. "Is it because you are already taken?" Lyndsey asked placing the picture frame back onto the desk.

"No, because you are a client."

"Correction, my uncle is your client; I am not."

"Miss Hinton..."

"Lyndsey, I've asked you to call me Lyndsey."

"This really isn't a good idea." Luke said.

Lyndsey smirked, "then a business lunch."

Luke looked at Lyndsey. He did not believe for a second that their meal would be constricted to only business topics. But he found Lyndsey attractive and she was an intelligent woman-a trait that always turned him on. And he was not completely against playing with fire. If he were, he would not be having sex with one of his closest friends on a regular basis. Deciding to throw caution out the door, along with any common sense, Luke nodded his head. "Fine, let's grab lunch."

Lyndsey's smirk grew into a genuine, full-blown smile that lit up her whole face. Her obvious glee was contagious and Luke smiled too as he stood up.

"I know the perfect place, it's not too far from here." Lyndsey said following his lead.

Before Luke could respond there was a knock on the door. Luke looked away from his companion, "come in." He said to whoever was waiting outside his office.

The door opened slightly and Laurie's head appeared in the crack. "Luke, I'm sorry to interrupt, but you have a visitor." Laurie explained.

"Who is it?" Luke asked.

During the exchange between Luke and Laurie, Carmen stood with the files they were working on in hand.

"A Miss. Lyndsey Hinton."

Luke nodded his head, "let her in." Laurie closed the door. Luke heard the woman walk away from the office. He stood and looked to Carmen who was walking toward the exit.

"You're heading out of here fast." Luke commented.

"Yeah, well I didn't want to be the third wheel when your ‘guest' arrives." Carmen teased.

Luke shook his head at Carmen's antics, she acted just like an annoying little sister would. "She's probably stopping by on business." Luke said.

"Right, of course she is." Carmen rolled her eyes. "I bet you any kind of money that this is more than just a friendly business call."

"Why don't you stay and find out." Luke bated.

"I actually have lunch plans, and if I do not leave now, I will be late. Unlike you, I do not take pride in making people wait."

"That little trait of mine is not something I am proud of. Do you have any idea how much Cassie takes pleasure in teasing me about my flaw."

Carmen laughed. She wondered if Luke realized how easy it was for him to work Cassie into any conversation. She began to notice the tactic a few weeks earlier. Carmen was sure that there was more going on between the pair of friends than either was willing to admit.

"Do you make a conscious effort to mention Cassie in so many conversations, or is it something you just can't help?" Carmen asked.

Luke tilted his head and raised an eyebrow at Carmen's question. "What do you mean?"

"I make a comment about your uncanny ability to be late to everything, and you mention Cassie. I've noticed lately you do that a lot."

"Do what?" Luke asked.

"Work Cassie into a conversation that really has nothing to do with her."

Not sure how to respond to Carmen's observation, Luke remained silent. Since they started sleeping together, Cassie had been on his mind more and more. The more time he spent with his friend, the more his feelings began to grow, and the harder it became to hide his feelings for the stubborn and resistant Cassie.

"That's what I thought." Carmen opened the door to Luke's office to find a woman she had only seen from across the room standing in front of her.

"Hello," Lyndsey said. "Looks like I have some pretty good timing."

"Yeah, you do. I was just leaving." Carmen said to the woman in front of her. "Luke," she turned to face her mentor, "we'll finish this discussion at a later date." She then stepped around Lyndsey and out of the door.

Lyndsey made her way into the office and closed the door behind her. "Well, that was interesting."

Luke laughed nervously, "that was Carmen. She's a junior associate, and my protege. She helps me out on a number of cases and accounts."

"I see."

"So, what brings you in today?" Luke asked. He extended his arm indicating that Lyndsey should sit down. After the office's other occupant sat in one of the chairs in front of his desk. Luke sat in his own overstuffed leather chair.

"Nothing in particular. I was in the area and thought I'd stop by."

"Really?" Luke asked skeptically. It was obvious to him that there was an ulterior motive for Lyndsey's unplanned visit, but he could not be certain if that motive was business or personal.

Ignoring Luke's tone, Lyndsey began to speak again. "Yes, that and I wanted to see if you would like to have lunch with me."

Luke laughed, "I see, and would this be a business lunch?"

"If I say no, would you still come eat with me?"

Luke contemplated Lyndsey's proposition. As he stated to Carmen earlier, he really did have boundaries and personal as well as professional rules about fraternizing with a client. "If you are asking me to have lunch with you as a date Lyndsey, I would have to decline."

Lyndsey nodded before reaching across Luke's desk to pick up his newest picture. She studied the face of the woman in the framed photo. "Is it because you are already taken?" Lyndsey asked placing the picture frame back onto the desk.

"No, because you are a client."

"Correction, my uncle is your client; I am not."

"Miss Hinton..."

"Lyndsey, I've asked you to call me Lyndsey."

"This really isn't a good idea." Luke said.

Lyndsey smirked, "then a business lunch."

Luke looked at Lyndsey. He did not believe for a second that their meal would be constricted to only business topics. But he found Lyndsey attractive and she was an intelligent woman-a trait that always turned him on. And he was not completely against playing with fire. If he were, he would not be having sex with one of his closest friends on a regular basis. Deciding to throw caution out the door, along with any common sense, Luke nodded his head. "Fine, let's grab lunch."

Lyndsey's smirk grew into a genuine, full-blown smile that lit up her whole face. Her obvious glee was contagious and Luke smiled too as he stood up.

"I know the perfect place, it's not too far from here." Lyndsey said following his lead.

The pair walked out of the office and rode the elevator down to the ground floor. They carried on a conversation as they strolled through the lobby and out of the front doors onto the sidewalk. Luke followed Lyndsey’s lead as she continued down the sidewalk for three blocks before stopping in front of a high-end restaurant.

Luke studied his surroundings. Even before stepping into the building, he could tell that their desired eating location was crowded.

“Lyndsey,” Luke said as he reached for the door, “this looks like the type of place where you need a reservation.”

Lyndsey smiled, “lucky for you, I know the head chef.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, we used to date. I always have a table.” Lyndsey walked through the open door and up to the maitre’d. Luke watched in fascination as his lunch companion spoke with the man in charge of seating.

When the pair in front of him finished their conversation, Lyndsey looked back and smiled. The maitre’d showed Luke and Lyndsey to a small table in the back that had a clear line of site to the door. Luke pulled out the chair facing the entrance for Lynsey before taking a seat in across from her. Menus were left on the table before the maitre’d left.

“So, you used to date the head chef?” Luke asked.

Lyndsey laughed and dropped her head slightly embarrassed. “Yes, way back in high school. I thought he was the love of my laugh, but I wasn’t his type.”

“Oh. I don’t understand how you could not be his type.”

‘That’s very sweet, but I’m not a man so…”

“I understand.”

“Yeah.” Lyndsey laughed. “From your response earlier, I take it you’ve never been here before.”

“No, this is not exactly a place that I frequent.”

“Why not? It’s not too far from your office and this is a nice place to entertain clients.” Lyndsey said.

“It is, and I’ll have to come back sometime. I’ve only recently been taking my lunch break more seriously.” Luke explained. He thought for a moment of Cassie and her seemingly random invitations for lunch at one mom-and-pop restaurant or another.

Lyndsey was not stupid. She could see that Luke had gone off somewhere else for a moment. “Does your new view on lunch breaks have anything to do with the woman in the picture on your desk?”

“Sort-of. She calls occasionally and invites me out to lunch.”

“I see. I take I you guys don’t go to places like these?”

“No, not often.” Luke said.

There was a longing in Luke’s eyes that Lyndsey could clearly see. This woman he claimed was only a friend obviously meant more to him and he was trying to hide or ignore that fact.

Before Lyndsey could dive any deeper into the topic of Cassie, Luke took a deep breath and changed the subject. “So you said you come here often, what do you suggest?” He asked as he looked through the menu.

“Everything here is good.”

“That’s not what I asked.” Luke stated.

“Well…” Lyndsey’s statement was interrupted by a commotion toward the front of the restaurant. She looked at the entrance and recognized the two women that had a swarm of people coming up to them—one was an R&B queen, the other was the woman from the picture on Luke’s desk. Luke turned around to see what had caught the attention of his lunch date. His gaze landed on Cassie and Jade as the two stood at the maitre’d stand waiting to be assisted.

Cassie felt the eyes staring before she saw them. She found the owner of said eyes was sitting with a man toward the back of the restaurant. The woman looked at her as if she was familiar with her face, but not with the person who owned the face. Cassie did not have time to study the woman before she felt herself be jostled and heard excited squeals. There was a group of people quickly amassing around them trying to get to Jade. Cassie’s friend looked at her and shrugged; there was not much that could be done. She looked back to the table where the staring woman sat, only now the woman’s companion had turned around.

Their eyes locked. Cassie took a deep breath and shook off whatever it was that she was feeling. She tapped Jade on the shoulder and indicated she would rather try another place. Luke watched the entire interaction, as did Lyndsey.

“So that’s her, then” Lyndsey said to Luke.

Luke snapped back into the moment with his table companion, “Who?”

“The woman in the picture on your desk, the one you are not seeing.”

“Yes,” Luke sighed. “That was Cassie.”

“Do you think she was jealous?”

“Definitely not. We aren’t dating.” Luke said almost wistfully.

 

Lyndsey smirked and shook her head. “I think she was.”

End Notes:

And this is where my muse decided to take a break. Hopefully she'll be refreshed after my weekend birthday trip to NYC. 

Chapter 28 by carolinaheart

Jade followed Cassie out of the restaurant and onto the sidewalk. The mob remained inside. Cassie spotted a cab with its light on. She raised her hand signaling her need of transportation. Jade shook her head at her best friend's actions. She was sure Cassie forgot that there was a black SUV around the corner that could pick them up at a moment's notice. But Jade was also certain that Cassie was not thinking clearly. Before they made their hasty exit from the restaurant, Jade caught a glimpse of what incited Cassie's sudden movement-Luke, more specifically, the image of Luke at a nice restaurant with an attractive woman.

"Cassie, what are you doing?" Jade asked watching the taxi cab come to a stop in front of her friend.

"Let's just go to Alex's restaurant." Cassie said reaching for the door.

"Okay, that's fine. But why are you about to get into a cab when the SUV is around the corner?" Jade asked.

Cassie finally turned around to look at the singer. She sighed. "I forgot sorry. Where is it right now?" She asked as she waved the to the driver that he should move on.

"I'll text Tobi to pick us up." Jade dug through the bag hanging from her arm for her cell phone.

Cassie looked around quickly and then back at the restaurant. She saw figures trying to make their way out of the building toward where they were. "Tell her to stay where she is. We'll go to her."

Jade looked up from her search, "Why?"

"Because in about 60 seconds the people that mobbed us in the restaurant will be hassling us on this sidewalk." She pointed to the doors of the restaurant.

"Good point. Let's go." Jade found her phone and began texting Tobi as they started walking down the street.

When they reached their transportation, the two women climbed into the vehicle. "Thanks Tobi." Jade said to the woman in the driver's seat.

Tobi smiled and looked at the singer with her blue eyes. "Not a problem J. Where are we headed?"

"I think we'll just go to Alex's spot. You know the place right?" Jade said

Tobi was one of Jade's preferred drivers. "Yeah I know the place. It might take us a while to get there though. I thought the two of you were hungry now?"

Jade looked at Cassie who seemed to be back in her own world as she tapped her fingers on the door. "We had a change of plans. Why try something new when you know Alex has always got something good on the menu?" Jade said.

Tobi looked at the pair from the rearview mirror. She could see that something was going on with Cassie, but she left it alone. "Okay then."

The two passengers sat in silence the entire ride. Cassie was lost in her thoughts and Jade was trying to work out how to broach the topic of Cassie's feelings. Jade could read Cassie like a book, and her friend was visibly upset by what she saw at the restaurant. On several occasions over the past weeks, Jade tried to convince Cassie that her arrangement with Luke was a bad idea. She had a feeling that on some level, Cassie also wanted more from Luke just as he wanted more from her, but Cassie was too afraid to ask for it. She was still caught up on the hurt from her last relationship.

By the time they pulled up to the restaurant, most of the lunchtime crowd had dispersed. People with the typical nine to five jobs were back in the office.

"We're here." Tobi said turning around to face her passengers.

Jade smiled and Cassie snapped back to reality. "Thanks Tobi." Jade said. "I'll just give you a call when we're done."

"No problem. I'll see you ladies later."

Jade and Cassie exited the vehicle and walked into the familiar restaurant. When they got inside, many of the tables were empty. A woman neither Jade nor Cassie recognized stood at the hostess stand. She was tall and thin, but lean. Her straight black hair was cropped in a short pixie cut that accentuated the sharp features of her face. Her hazel eyes stood in contrast to her raw sienna colored skin. The woman was well dressed, wearing high-waisted, wide-leg black slacks with a tailored white silk blouse. "Good afternoon. Can I help you?"

The singer stood in silence stunned by the woman's beauty. Cassie looked over to Jade, before shaking her head and responding. "Yeah, we need a table for two."

The woman nodded as she gathered a couple of menus. "If you would follow me." She took long strides as she confidently walked through the restaurant toward one of the empty tables in the back.

Jade and Cassie sat down and the woman placed the menus on the table.

"Do you need anything else?"

"Is Alex here?" Cassie asked. She liked to let their friend know when they came to the restaurant.

"Yeah, he's in his office in the back. Would you like me to send him out?"

"Please. Tell him Cassie and Jade are here."

"Right." The woman turned to leave.

Cassie looked at her lunch companion who was watching the attractive woman walk away. She smirked. "Are you okay there Jade?"

"I should be asking you that."

"I'm not the one who was stunned into silence by the woman who showed us to our table." Cassie countered.

"I wasn't..." Jade's words faded. She saw Alex coming to their table.

"Hey ladies." Alex said pulling up a chair, turning it around to straddle the piece of furniture. He leaned forward against the back of the chair.

"Hi Alex. Was she a new hostess?" Cassie asked.

"Who, Charlie?"

"Is that her name?" Jade asked.

"Yes, Charlotte Yadev. She's not a new hostess; she's the new...I'm not sure what to call her. But she does a lot of the PR for me and helps out with the business side of the restaurant." Alex explained.

"Oh, okay. Why was she working the front?" Cassie asked.

"The host had an emergency, we let her go take care of it. Instead of calling someone else in to finish out the before-dinner shift, Charlie just decided to work the door."

"She sounds like she's a good fit." Cassie said.

"Yeah, she is." Alex said. "I was actually working on some new recipes. I was getting ready to head into the kitchen to test some of these out. If you don't mind waiting around, I would love if you guys taste test for me."

"We don't have anything planned. Cassie, what do you think?" Jade asked looking to her friend.

"That sounds fine to me." Cassie said.

"Great. I'll have one of the waiters bring out something for you two to snack on." Alex said standing up.

"Thanks, Alex." Cassie said.

"No problem. You guys are doing me a favor." Alex smiled and left the pair to chat at the table.

Jade waited for Alex to disappear into the back before turning to her table mate. "So, Cassie."

Cassie raised her eyebrows at her friend's tone, "Jade."

"What happened back there at the other restaurant?" Jade asked.

"Nothing." Cassie said. She did not want to talk about seeing Luke having lunch with another woman.

"I don't think it was nothing. I saw Luke, and I know you saw him too." Jade said.

"Yeah."

"It looked like he was having lunch with someone. I thought that was your thing."

"He can have lunch with other people Jade. It's not an exclusive thing. Besides, we weren't too far from his office. She was probably a client." Cassie said. She hoped it had been a client.

"Maybe. What if she wasn't a client? Would that be different."

"What do you mean? What are you asking?" Cassie asked nervously. She really wanted their conversation to be over.

"How would you feel if Luke were on a date?"

"I wouldn't feel..."

"Don't lie to me Cassie; don't lie to yourself."

"Maybe you should take your own advice." Cassie said accusingly. She stood abruptly and left the table leaving a shocked Jade in her wake.

Cassie walked through the restaurant and into the bathroom. She stood in front of the mirror and stared at her reflection.

"How do I feel? How would I feel?" Cassie asked herself. She shook her head. She did not want to think about it, and she definitely did not want to admit that there was a part of her that was jealous. Other than Jade, Luke was her best friend. What would she do if he found someone else-someone who was ready to give him what she was afraid to? And why was Jade questioning her? Why would her friend make those comments when she knew that she had her own issues of honesty to deal with?

Jade waited for Cassie to come out of the bathroom. She had pushed Cassie, and Cassie had lashed out hinting at Jade's own self denial. But they were not focusing on her today. Today, it was about Cassie, and Jade just wanted Cassie to be happy. She could see, as could anyone else, that when Cassie was with Luke, she was happy. Jade did not want Cassie to miss out on the opportunity to love again. If she continued down the road she was on, Cassie would be alone. After conversations with Dani, Jade knew that Luke was getting close to his breaking point. He would not wait forever, and Jade understood that.

It had been more than ten minutes since Cassie left for the bathroom, and Jade was starting to feel awkward sitting by herself. Alex had sent appetizers and drinks to their table, but she left them alone. She looked around the sparsely populated restaurant hoping that Cassie would show up soon. She looked back at the table and picked up a straw and put it into her glass of water. She felt someone watching her. Jade looked up and caught Charlie's eye.  The woman began to walk towards her.

"Is everything okay?" Charlie asked when she reached the table.

"Yeah, I'm just waiting for Cassie to come back." Jade said.

"She's been gone for a while."

"We had a...disagreement." Jade said.

"Right." Charlie said. She began to leave the table.

"Have you had a chance to eat yet?" Jade asked suddenly. She was not ready for the other woman to walk away.

Charlie turned back around at the question from Jade.

"No, I've been covering for one of our employees."

"It looks like your replacement for the front has arrived, why don't you have a seat? Join us for lunch?" Jade asked.

"Are you sure your friend won't mind?" Charlie asked as she raised an eyebrow.

Jade laughed. "I actually think that Cassie will be grateful for the distraction."

Charlie pulled out a chair and sat down. "What did you say to her?" She asked amused.

"We're best friends, and we are honest with each other. I made an observation about her love life, and she did not appreciate it." Jade explained.

"I see. Maybe she doesn't want advice right now?" Charlie suggested.

"Oh I know she doesn't, and neither do I. We're alike in that way. But we tend to tell each other what we need to hear." Jade admitted.

"So what did she say to you?" Charlie asked curiously.

"I met you five minutes ago." Jade laughed. "I'm not going to tell you that."

"You invited me to have lunch with you." Charlie countered. The large smile on her face changed her features completely. Her eyes sparkled.

Jade smiled and shook her head, she was getting the feeling that the woman in front of her was flirting. For the first time in years, she was feeling comfortable in the situation. She did not have the urge to run for the hills. Instead, she subconsciously leaned forward, "I was trying to be nice."

"Uh-huh."

Cassie exited the bathroom and started walking back to the table. She slowed her pace when she realized Jade was no longer alone at their table. Her friend was laughing with Charlie. Reaching her eyes, Jade's smile was genuine. Cassie grinned before she was jolted forward.

"Oh, I'm so sorry." The young waiter said.

Cassie shook her head and waved her hand. "Don't worry about it."

Jade and Charlie stopped talking and looked toward the sounds of a disturbance. Cassie picked up her pace and reached the table.

"Are we good?" Jade asked as Cassie sat down.

"Yeah, we're fine. I just don't want to talk about it. I'm going to put it behind me for now."

"Really avoiding the issue is what you're going to do?" Jade asked.

"Works well for you." Cassie said.

Charlie looked from one woman to the other. "It seems like I'm interrupting an old debate. Should I leave?"

"No, you're fine." Cassie smiled.

"Cassie, this is going to blow up in your face. You know that right?" Jade said. The statement was a plea for Cassie to avoid something she would regret later.

"Jade, I appreciate that you're concerned, but I'm a grown woman. I can handle this." Cassie said.

"Fine," Jade said, "but let me say this." Cassie rolled her eyes knowing it was hard for her friend to just let some things go. "If you don't want to face this, or change your relationship with Luke, you don't get to be jealous."

The table's occupants were quiet. Cassie tilted her head and looked intensely at Jade before looking at her hands. "I know. Jade, I know."

Chapter 29 by carolinaheart
Author's Notes:

Surprise! You get two new chapters, mostly because I had every intention of this being just one chapter.

It was late in the evening and Luke had a lot of things on his mind, mainly Cassie and Lyndsey. After the Cassie debacle, he and Lyndsey had a nice lunch. They talked about business for a few minutes with Lyndsey giving him a brief history of her uncle's entrepreneurial ventures. However, Luke could tell there was more to the story that Lyndsey was withholding. Overall, lunch had been refreshing. It felt good to not have to wonder whether or not someone was interested in him. Lyndsey was forward, and she made it blatantly obvious that she was open to having a less professional relationship with Luke-one that included nights out that were explicitly categorized as dates.

He appreciated Lyndsey's interest, but his thoughts always drifted back to Cassie. Though Luke had watched Cassie and Jade make a quick exit from the restaurant, he wondered if that was because of the large crowd of fans that had begun to amass around the singer or if it was because she saw him having lunch with another woman. He doubted it was the latter. Although, Lyndsey insisted that Cassie was jealous. He was inclined to trust her judgement because she was a woman. But it did not make sense. What Luke and Cassie had was strictly noncommittal. It was a no strings attached situation.

Luke sighed. He was getting a headache trying to work out his current predicament. He looked at the clock and saw that it was getting late. Gathering his things, Luke prepared to leave the office for the evening. As he walked outside and headed towards home, Luke made a split decision to go check on Cassie. After 30 minutes and one cab ride later, Luke found himself standing in the lobby of her building. He looked around indecisively before he pulled out his phone and called Cassie.

With the day she had, Cassie needed to relax, unwind and not think. While she sat in front of her piano, a glass of wine sat on a make-shift coaster of old piano books and sheet music. She concentrated on the piece of music in front of her. It was one she learned years ago, and a piece she still loved to play. However, she recently realized that though she had the notes correct, she was off on the dynamics. She was trying to retrain her muscles to play the song exactly as written. It felt a little bit like her life-she had all the individual components to be happy. But somewhere along the way she fucked it up and got the dynamics all wrong. Now life did not feel like it was what it was supposed to be and it seemed as if she were just trying to figure out how to get back to the basics. But learned behavior is strong, just like muscle memory, and it is hard to change.

As she took a pencil and erased some of the notes she had scribbled on the sheet music, her cell phone buzzed and jumped around on top of the piano making her jump.

"Hello," Cassie said after retrieving and answering her phone.

"Cassie, I'm in the lobby of your building. Are you home?" Luke asked.

"What are you doing here?" Cassie stood and began to pace. It was hard for her to remain still when she was on the phone.

"I uh...saw you at the restaurant earlier today."

"Oh."

"Yeah, and we hadn't really talked since Monday."

Cassie laughed nervously, "what would you have done if I weren't at home?"

"I didn't really think that far."

"I gathered. You can come one up." Cassie instructed.

"Okay." Luke said. He waved to the man at the front desk who nodded back before he headed to the elevator.

When he got to Cassie's floor, he saw her standing in her doorway holding a glass of wine. He slowly walked over to his friend.

"Hi again." Luke said when he was standing in front of her.

"Hey. Come on in." Cassie stepped aside and allowed Luke to enter.

"So, what brings you by here?" Cassie asked as she sat down and placed the glass on the coffee table.

Luke followed placed his briefcase on the floor by the door. "Nothing really." He walked over to the couch and sat down. "I saw you and Jade book it out of the restaurant earlier today. And I thought I'd come by."

Cassie raised an eyebrow at his explanation. "I see." She said. She took a deep breath debating on how to respond. It did not take long for her to make up her mind and continue the conversation. "We felt like the restaurant was too crowed, so we went to Alex's place instead. But, I uh...I saw you too. You had a lunch date."

"She's the niece of a client." Luke tried to explain.

"Luke it's fine." Cassie laughed nervously. She began to pull on a strand of hair. "You don't have to explain anything. We aren't exclusive. Hell, we aren't even dating. You can have lunch with whomever you choose. We left because of the people. Jade really didn't feel like dealing with them."

"I guess I've never been out with you guys when the reservations weren't already set." Luke said after thinking about the number of occasions he had gone to eat with Jade, Cassie, and their other friends.

"That's kind of what happens when your best friend is famous."

"So we are okay then?" Luke asked. He wanted to be certain.

Cassie nodded her head. "When have we ever not been?" She asked.

Luke smiled at Cassie's response. "You didn't answer the question."

"We're good Luke. We're fine."

Luke smirked, "That means you're still coming to the picnic with me on Monday?" He asked.

"Yes. I will be there to be your excuse to leave."

"Great. I'll come by in the morning to get you." Luke said standing.

"Is that the only reason you came over?" Cassie laughed as she stood.

"Yeah, for the most part."

"Luke, we could have had this conversation over the phone."

"Yeah well, I needed to see your face." Luke said seriously.

Cassie's smile slipped. She felt like he was staring into her soul, like he could see through the walls and glimpse all of the thoughts and feelings she kept hidden even from herself. "You've seen it. Is it what you expected?" Cassie tried to make a joke.

Luke resisted the urge to tell Cassie what he truly felt. He wanted her to know that her face, and everything about her was so much more than he expected, and that she was more than he could ever want. But he pushed all of those thoughts and feelings aside and settled for a simple response to her question. "Yes, exactly what I expected."

Cassie sighed. She could tell that there was more he wanted to say. She had spent enough time with the man to notice when he was holding back. However, Cassie was grateful that Luke was letting her off of the hook. "Good to know."

Luke picked up his briefcase and began walking to the door, but Cassie was not ready for him to go yet. "Leaving already?"

"I interrupted your evening."

"Luke, you could never interrupt my evening." Cassie tilted her head, "you're always welcome here," she said seriously. They both stood silently looking at each other and contemplating what Cassie truly meant by her statement. "Why don't you stay for dinner? I'm trying out this new crockpot jambalaya recipe. It's been cooking all day, and now that you're here, I don't really want to eat it alone."

Luke hesitated before making a decision. "I'll stay. I didn't really have any plans for dinner anyway." He threw his briefcase onto the couch before sitting back down.

"Great." Cassie grinned as she turned around and walked into the kitchen.

Luke watched her retreating figure. He found himself falling harder, and wanting more. It was time to start seriously consider how much more he could take. If he went any deeper into the rabbit hole, he was not sure he would be able to find his way out.

Chapter 30 by carolinaheart
Author's Notes:

Long time no see...This chapter has been written for at least 4 years...And, I actually have the ending written too, but my muse decided to quit on the chapters between this and the end. 

Late the following Monday morning, Cassie was getting dressed for Luke’s company picnic. She was half dressed in the bathroom pulling her hair into a sloppy bun. Queen’s Fat Bottomed Girls radiated throughout the apartment. It was hard for Cassie to hear the knocking on the door. When she did notice the out of sync banging, she turned down the music and walked over to her door. 


“You’re early for a change.” Cassie said after swinging the door open.


Luke raised an eyebrow at Cassie’s state of dress. One hand was on the door while the other was trying to maintain a hold on the pile of curls on her head. She wore a pair of skin-tight jeans and a bra. It was obvious he had arrived while she was getting dressed. 


“I wanted to get this whole thing over with.” Luke said stepping inside. Cassie closed the door behind them and started to walk away.


“Is this Queen?” Luke asked.


“Yeah, Freddie Mercury is a genius.” Cassie said. 


“You are continuously surprising me.” Luke said sitting down. 


Cassie turned the music up just as the song changed. The first notes of Bohemian Rhapsody began to play. “I love music; it doesn’t matter the type.” Cassie said. She then disappeared into her room for the remainder of the song. When she returned, Cassie had on a shirt and her hair was held up by something other than her hand. 


“Are you ready?” Cassie asked. Luke was sitting on her couch flipping through one of her photo albums. It fascinated her that Luke was drawn to her albums. She was sure he had flipped through each of them at least three times, but every time he came over, he always picked them up.


“Yeah.” Luke said looking up. “Let’s get this over with.” He put the album back on the coffee table with the others and stood up.


“I really should get you some new material to flip through.” Cassie commented as they walked out of her apartment.


“What are you talking about?” Luke asked.


“Every time you come over you look through the same photo albums. I never add anything new to them so you must have seen all of the pictures a thousand times.”


“I like your photos. You know that.” Luke said. He pressed the down button when they reached the elevator.


“So you’ve told me, but I don’t understand why. They aren’t even that great.” Cassie laughed.


“Are you this humble when you write music?”


“I don’t write music anymore. When I used to write, I wasn’t. I knew a hit when I wrote it. But it took a while for me to get to that point. After a few years of churning out chart toppers, I became more confident in my capabilities.” Cassie explained.


“You didn’t realize you were a talented writer after the first hit?” 


“Oh, god no!”


Luke’s company picnic took place at a park not far from the firm’s office building. The pair arrived just as everything seemed to be getting started. Luke recognized a number of his colleagues and a few clients walking around. He searched the faces for the most important ones—the partners. Cassie noticed his calculated movements. 


“Are you looking for something specific?” Cassie asked. 


“I was hoping to see Henry, he’s one of the partners with a controlling stake in the firm. He’s also the one who specifically wanted to see me here. “ Luke said. “If I can run into him early, we might be able to go ahead and take off.” 


“I see. Can we at least get something to eat before you execute this plan?” Cassie asked. She pointed to a long table with piles of food. As soon as they arrived at the park, Cassie’s mouth began to salivate at the aromas coming from the multiple grills in use. 


“Sure, we can grab some food.” Luke led the way to the table of food where a small crowd was beginning to form.


When they got in line, Luke handed Cassie a plate. He pointed out a few of the firms most high-profile clients to Cassie. She nodded her head as he explained how each made their first million. Cassie did not really find the information interesting, but she pretended for Luke’s sake. She had left corporate America long ago, her current foray into one of their parties was only because she considered Luke such a good friend. Cassie mindlessly nodded her head to some other fact when a woman she did not recognized came up to them. 


“Luke don’t bore her.” 


“What? Hey Laurie. I didn’t think you were coming to this.” Luke said.


“I never said I wasn’t coming. I didn’t even imply that I wasn’t coming. Unlike you, I like to socialize with my colleagues.” Laurie said. 


“You would.” Luke said.


Cassie was happy for the break in conversation, but she was curious about the woman. She moved along instead of satisfying her curiosity. 


Laurie fell into line behind Luke and Cassie.


“So you must be the girlfriend.” Laurie directed at Cassie.


Cassie spun around and stared at the woman after shooting a glare toward Luke. “I’m not. We’re friends.” 


“As I told you last week Laurie.” Luke said, more for Cassie’s benefit than for Laurie’s.


“So you keep saying. You know he has a picture of the two of you on his desk.” Laurie supplied.


Cassie looked at Luke and raised an eyebrow. “Really?” She was not sure how she felt about that. 


“I also have a photo of me, Dani and Alex on my desk as well.” Luke said. “I have pictures of my friends on my desk. There’s nothing out of the ordinary about that.” Luke said. 


Laurie rolled her eyes. “Right. Of course.” Laurie said.


It was obvious to both Cassie and Luke that she was trying to start something. Carmen walked up to the trio and joined them in line.


“Hey Cassie, didn’t expect to see you here.” Carmen said.


“Luke promised we could do anything I wanted if I joined him.” Cassie smiled.


“I didn’t say that. I said I would go on our next ‘discover the city’ activity without complaint.” Luke said.


Carmen was confused. “What?”


“Luke is upset because I made him come with me on a tour of a cemetery.” Cassie said.


“Yeah Luke told me. I can’t believe you two toured a cemetery.” Carmen said.


“Yes. It’s the oldest in the city and actually quite breathtaking. Did you know that before Central Park was built, people would utilize Greenwood Cemetery as a park.”


“Just think Carmen, we could be enjoying this lovely event among centuries old tombstones.” Luke said sarcastically. Cassie slapped Luke’s arm in response to his comment.


“That’s…fascinating I guess.” Carmen said. “I knew you appreciated history, I just didn’t think you would visit a cemetery.”


“Ooh I’ve been there.” Laurie said. “It really is beautiful.”


Carmen nodded her head and continued to walk forward as the line moved.


After making their plates, Luke, Cassie, and Carmen sat down at a picnic table to eat.


“Have you seen Henry yet?” Luke asked Carmen. He was hoping to briefly talk to the man and then leave. Luke did not want to stay any longer than he needed. 


“There he is now. Looks like he’s got a client with him.” Carmen said.


Luke looked to where Carmen was pointing. Indeed, the man in question was walking over with Mr. Miller,  the client whose account he and Carmen discussed the previous week. Mr. Miller held a cigar between his teeth. He walked with an air of superiority and invincibility. 


“That’s Mr. Miller. I only met him a little while ago; it was very brief.” Luke said. “I haven’t seen him since.”


The pair were walking toward their table. Cassie looked up to observe the figures coming toward her. She immediately recognized one of them. “Oh my god.” Cassie said.


“What?” Luke asked. He turned to look at Cassie. Her eyes were wide and a look of fear flashed across her face. “Cassie?” 


Before Luke could get a response, Henry and Mr. Miller walked up to their table. 


“Luke, Carmen I’m glad to see two of my best out here today.” Henry said. 


“I heard it was strongly suggested I show up, so here I am.” Luke said. 


“Right, right. You remember Mr. Miller.” Henry said.


“Yes, of course. It’s hard to forget such a prominent client.” Luke stood and stuck out his hand to shake.


“I like this kid Henry.” Mr. Miller laughed grabbing Luke’s hand and shaking it twice. “What’d you say your name was again, Luke?”


“Yes Mr. Miller.” Luke said.


“Oh stop with all the formality. You can call me Milo. That’s what everyone else calls me.” Mr. Miller said. 


Realization dawned on Luke. He quickly glanced at Cassie who seemed to have regained her composure.  “Right Milo.” Luke said. He was trying to maintain his own composure now that he realized just what the man before him was capable of. 


Carmen was not privy to as much information as Luke. Recognizing that Mr. Miller was an important client, she decided to properly introduce herself. Carmen stood. “Mr. Miller I’m Carmen. I help Luke out from time to time.”


“Well, it’s very nice to meet you.”  Mr. Miller said. He overtly perused Carmen’s body before turning to Henry. “You sure know how to hire them!”


Henry chuckled nervously and nodded his head. It was obvious to everyone he noticed what had just transpired. 


“And you.” Mr. Miller said. He pulled the cigar from between his teeth and used it to gesture toward Cassie. “I never forget a face. Just as beautiful as the last time we met.” 


Cassie shivered involuntarily. She was the only one to remain seated. Luke glanced in her direction. He could see she was barely holding it together. 


“How’s that boyfriend of yours? You two still together?” Mr. Miller said with a smile. He put the cigar back into his mouth between his teeth.


“Dead.” Cassie deadpanned. She restrained herself from adding that he already knew that fact. 


Henry said nothing, he could feel there was something more to the interaction between his client and who he assumed was Luke’s guest. Carmen was in shock. Though she was not really close to Cassie, the two women had spent some time together. In that time, Cassie never mentioned a boyfriend or the fact that he died.


“I’m sorry to hear that.” Mr. Miller continued to grin widely and stare at Cassie. 


Cassie shook her head and finally joined the rest of the group standing. “Luke, Carmen, are you ready? We have to be at Dani’s house in ten minutes.” Cassie said. She was blatantly lying, but Luke was not going to call her out on it. Carmen would not either, she could tell that something was not right. 


“You know, you’re right.” Carmen was the first to speak up. 


“I’m sorry Henry, we’ve got plans after this.” Luke said. “Mr. Miller, it was good to see you again.” He turned to Cassie and Carmen, “shall we go ladies?”


Cassie nodded her head. Evidence of her relief radiated through her facial expression. 


When they were clear of Henry and Mr. Miller, Carmen stopped. “Is someone going to tell me what the hell that was about?” She asked. 


Luke looked at Cassie; it was her story to tell. “It was nothing. I’m going to head home.” Cassie said. She promptly left the two lawyers standing at the entrance of the park. 


“Luke?” Carmen said.


“I’m not going to tell you if Cassie doesn’t want you to know.” Luke said.


“But you do know what is going on?” 


“Yes, I think I do. Don’t worry about it Carmen. I’ll check on Cassie. I’ll see you at work tomorrow.” Luke said. 


Carmen watched as he walked away in the same direction that Cassie went. She was more than slightly confused about the events of the afternoon. 

End Notes:

Not sure when this will be complete though.

Chapter 31 by carolinaheart
Author's Notes:

Long time no update. Sorry about that. This is a shorter chapter. There are 4-5 chapters left; 90% of it is written (including the ending). It's just my muse has taken a very long break. Hopefully, I can coax her into helping me finish the last 10% by the end of the year.

Luke followed Cassie down the street. She was moving fast and catching up with the upset woman would not be an easy feat. When he was close enough, Luke reached out and gently grabbed Cassie's arm. She immediately turned around with her other arm raised prepared to fight off any attacker. However, the minute she recognized the person holding her elbow, she dropped the other arm. 

"Cassie."

"Let me go Luke." Cassie said. She had stopped before attacking him, but she was still fighting to get free of his grasp.

"Cassie, stop. Where are you going?" Luke asked. When she took off from the park, Cassie headed in the wrong direction.

"I told you I'm going home." Cassie said defiantly.

"Cassie, your home is the other way." Luke said as he pointed in the opposite direction of where Cassie had been headed. "And you could have hailed a cab."

Cassie stopped trying to wrestle away from Luke. Seeing Milo threw her off. She did intend to go home, but she was not thinking straight. Her only thought was to get as far away from that man as she could.

"Oh." Cassie said simply.

"Come on." Luke said. He turned to the edge of the sidewalk. With one hand still firmly grasping Cassie's elbow, Luke whistled for a cab. 

The ride to Cassie's building was silent. As was the journey from the lobby to her apartment. Cassie opened the door and Luke followed her inside. She discarded her purse on the sofa and she sat down on the floor with the sofa at her back and the coffee table in front of her. Cassie stretched her legs underneath the wooden table, leaned her head back on the sofa and sighed. Her day did not go as planned. She never expected to see Milo again. She never wanted to see Milo again. That man was supposed to be just a remnant from the past, not a living breathing person showing up  in  her present.

Cassie listened to Luke's footsteps as he walked through her apartment. She heard a few cabinets being opened and closed. She then heard the distinct sound of ice clinking in glass followed by flowing  water from, most likely, the refrigerator. Cassie both felt and heard Luke as he came toward her. She assumed he would join her on the floor, which meant he would need to put the glass, or glasses, on the wooden coffee table, and Cassie really liked her coffee table. She did not want any new stains.

"Coasters." Cassie said.

"What?" Luke asked as he came closer.

"Use coasters. There are some in the drawer of the side table." Cassie responded.

Luke looked in the drawer and found a stack of wooden coasters. He pulled one out and placed it and the glass of water on the coffee table. Luke lowered himself to the floor and sat next to Cassie in front of the couch.

"What are you thinking?" Luke asked concerned.

Cassie closed her eyes. She wanted to ignore what had happened earlier in the day for so many reasons. She did not want Luke mixed up with Milo, not sweet, caring, workaholic Luke. Christian had been a hard man who only showed his softer side to a select few. In most ways, Luke was a much different person than Christian had been. But Cassie did not want to tell Luke what to do. And she did not have the right to ask him to request off of the real estate mogul's account either.

"Cassie," Luke said. He touched her arm hoping to get her attention. She turned to face him, and he could see the desperation and fear in her eyes. 

"I don't want to lose you." Cassie said simply. She took hold of his arm and rested her head on his shoulder. "Not now, not when I'm finally..." She stopped talking unsure of how she wanted to finish the sentence.

Luke, however, was surprised by her words. "You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to Cassie."

"I probably should." Cassie said. She looked up at Luke. "Maybe if I did, it'd help you to understand me better, or at least why I am the way I am now. If that makes any sense. Why I seem to be running." She rearranged herself so she was no longer looking at Luke, but rather at some undefined point directly in front of her.

Luke was quiet. The afternoon had taken an unexpected turn and he was not sure how to respond to Cassie's sudden desire to be open. He did not want to say anything that would cause her to shut down. He knew that this moment would be a defining one in their friendship. 

"I told you about Christian, and his occupation. I told you about Milo, his employer."

"And my new client..."

Cassie laughed mirthlessly, "yes, your new client, the man I'm 90% certain had Christian killed. He's a man I've been terrified of since the moment I met him. It's more than just what I'm sure he arranged, and what I'm sure he's done. I associate him with the day my whole understanding of who Christian was changed. My first encounter with him was the beginning of me questioning myself and who I was." 

"What do you mean?"

"What kind of person does that make me? I was so willing, for so long to ignore my own warning bells. And when I finally had some proof, some evidence that all of my instincts were correct, I stayed." 

"Cassie, you were in love." Luke said simply.

"Was I in love, or was I just that desperate? That man...and Christian may never get justice, not with the way that Milo is connected." Cassie countered. 

There was no response that would make Cassie feel any better. Luke remained silent and just sat next to his friend as she worked through her thoughts. They remained that way for half an hour before Luke turned on the television for some background noise. He was not sure what to do, but he knew he could just be present for his friend.

This story archived at https://www.valentchamber.com/viewstory.php?sid=2790