Finding Our Way by chocolate470
RetiredSummary:

 

Another Tangie story celebrating the couple who inspired me to begin writing fanfic. 


Categories: Daytime Television Characters: Evangeline Williamson
Classification: Off Cannon
Genre: Family, Friendship, Romance
Story Status: Completed
Pairings: Tangeline (One Life to Live)
Warnings: Un-betaed
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 11 Completed: Yes Word count: 25172 Read: 45546 Published: May 31 2015 Updated: December 22 2015

1. Chapter 1 by chocolate470

2. Chapter 2 by chocolate470

3. Chapter 3 by chocolate470

4. Chapter 4 by chocolate470

5. Chapter 5 by chocolate470

6. Chapter 6 by chocolate470

7. Chapter 7 by chocolate470

8. Chapter 8 by chocolate470

9. Chapter 9 by chocolate470

10. Chapter 10 by chocolate470

11. Chapter 11 by chocolate470

Chapter 1 by chocolate470

 Todd

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Todd...

 

The leisurely drive over to the airport had been pretty much uneventful even though his mind remained restless. The moonless night sky, the obscure street lighting, the rush of oncoming traffic, sure his driver, Carter had taken this route often enough so it wasn't anything new. Just another one of these business trips prompted by the need to check up on the Sun's subsidiary in Port Charles. He did this twice each month. Preferring to take a late flight after spending as much time with Sam eating his favourite meal, helping out with homework afterwards dropping him off at Llanfair. His editor-in-chief Frank Reed was tough as nails but nothing beat the expression on his employees' faces once he stepped off that elevator. Even after all this time, he still got a weird thrill from the look of fear in their eyes yet in many ways Todd Manning was a changed man.

 

He never spent any prolonged periods of time away from his kids especially wanting to be there more for Sam his youngest. He could never make up for the time lost with his older two. Heck Starr was in college now; Jack a senior at Llanview High. As for his marriage to Blair, that shipped sailed when Sam was 2 ½ years old and now he was seven; a third grader at Llanview Elementary.

 

Looking back, he finally admitted that his off again, on again relationship with Blair personally cost him everything except for his kids. They were the only two good things between them, nothing else. He swallowed, massaging his brow. Hoping that his mind wouldn't take him there but inevitably it always did.

 

For one brief moment the dream lay within his grasp. All that he ever desired, hoped for, needed...

 

"Baby what's wrong? The look in your eyes say everything. Todd...please."

 

"I-I..."

 

The utter look of devastation in her beautiful brown eyes jerked his heart but he was caught between a rock and a hard place. He needed Blair to obtain full custody of Sam not only because a marriage between would look great in the eyes of the court but also because of a critical piece of information she had to seal the deal without having to endure a long trial. She never gave him a chance to fully explain; too upset to listen. He didn't put up a fight when she pushed him out the door. He hated leaving her that way.

He recalled riding the elevator down alone breathing heavily; a part of him wanting to bash his head against its walls, the pain of love loss too immense along with the negative thoughts circulating within himself. He wasn't deserving of her love in the first place. Just another man that has abandoned her...just like John.  

 

 

Stop it, Stop It Todd, he subconsciously admonished, raking his hands over his face. Afterwards he took a deep breath, leaning back against the chair, gazing up at the lights in the metal ceiling. Being so close to Sam kept him sane through all those horrible nights. He didn't turn to drinking instead he held on to his son. Blair never understood what he was going through not that it really mattered. As long as he and Evangeline were apart, the wound would never heal.

 

He retrieved his phone from his jacket and quickly pressed a button.

 

"Hey Vick..."

 

"Todd? I didn't expect to get a call from you until you landed."

 

"Just wanted to check in on Sam and see if he's sticking to the bedtime routine."

 

Just talking about his son already was starting to set his heart at ease.

 

"A warm glass of milk seemed to do the trick this time around. Yet I do believe that he's worried about you though..."

 

"Why would you say that?" Todd interrupted, chuckling at the thought.

 

"Todd don't play coy with me. Kids understand mood changes more than we give them credit."

 

It was true. At times Sam just sat staring at him without saying much. Todd often shrug it off as a part of Sam's personality or perhaps he was denying what was really going on.

 

"Ok I'll speak with him when I get back. He needs to be a kid and not another Starr worrying over her parents."

 

"I expect you to do what's best. I'm sure I don't need to remind you about the chance you've been given. Sam loves you very much. Don't screw this up."

 

Todd sighed, dragging his right hand through his hair. Although he needed it, he hated to get another lecture from big sis.

 

"Don't worry...I get it..."

 

Attention passengers this is the final boarding call for Flight 303. All ticketed passengers should immediately proceed towards the gate. Stand-by passengers should approach the counter for seat assignments.

 

"Finally," Todd sighed outwardly.

 

"What?"

 

"Looks like I gotta go Vic," Todd responded while rising from his seat and adjusting the straps of his carryon.

 

"Ok take care Todd and have a safe flight."

 

"Stop worrying. Just concentrate on one Manning..."

 

"One Manning yeah right..."

 

The phone went silent. Todd pushed it back into his jacket with a smile on his face. Vicky can be such a mother hen at times but he was also thankful she cared.

 

 

 

Evangeline

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Evangeline...  

 

Beyond the clouds Llanview lay just below the horizon. But why return to Llanview after all this time? Judging her past experience, Llanview is the place where the men stood in line to break her heart over and over again. Why indeed. If she truly thought about it, returning to Llanview never seemed like a good idea. Her career in Llanview was exceptional but her personal life was always chaotic. And yes she had a bad habit of being attracted to and then for falling for the wrong guys who carried around a myriad of emotional baggage. She'd guess being a lawyer created that character flaw.

 

Huh...looking back she'd actually believed that Todd was the one. Hadn't they been friends for quite a while? Laughing, talking, and butting heads...She relished those moments of getting to know and understand such a complex man inside and out. The heart wants what it wants and she wanted Todd and their new burgeoning relationship to work out. It was supposed to last a lifetime, She'd finally found the man who cared for her the way she needed to be cared for. The man who put her first and the hell with everyone else. She felt the same way about him too. He touched a part of her soul unknown to even herself yet some things were not meant to be no matter how much you want it to be otherwise. Unshed tears sprung in her eyes and she quickly blinked them away.

 

"Why are you doing this? Why are you breaking my heart? I trusted you!"

 

"Angel..."

 

"DON'T!"

 

She recalled how hard she cried that day, collapsing to the floor in anguish after she slammed the door in his face, her world completely shattered. She never experienced such an intense emotionally breakdown. Her tears couldn't dry fast enough for a fresh stream to flow down her face. It didn't seem fair! Outside the day was cold, dark and rainy mirroring her mood. Was she ever going to be happy again? After that day she vowed never to allow any man to bring her down into such depths of despair. Still it proved difficult to forget the bastard. Every day she was reminded of his once strong presence in her life.

"Evangeline stop this," she whispered harshly to herself. She blew out an exasperated breath, covered her face with the palms of her hands before leaning back in her seat. She wanted to get on the next airplane out of Llanview once they arrived but she understood how impractical that was. This was going to be more difficult than she first realized.

 

 

As Todd rounded the corner, retrieving his boarding pass, he took one last look around at the many inbound passengers streaming into then out of the airport. Most appeared to be exhausted; others were preoccupied with their androids either talking or texting profusely. Men, women and sleeping children. This flights carried the same anonymous sets of faces until...Could it be?  For a brief moment everything slowed not to mention the beating of his heart. He stood rooted to his spot. Whatever noise surrounded him faded in the background. He blinked and whatever he saw disappeared in the crowd. No...No...No... he couldn't have imagined her. His mind wouldn't be so cruel to play this awful trick on him.

 

"Sir! Sir! Sir!"

 

Todd didn't hear; he was too busy running everywhere trying to find the face in the crowd without much success. A sudden burst of wind hit him as he exited the airport. His mind racing, pulse accelerating along with his breathing. His eyes scanned around the airport lot hoping to catch sight of her before she left. Again nothing.

 

"Evangeline I know you're here."

 

He retrieved his phone. "Carter get back here plans have changed..."

Chapter 2 by chocolate470

After the initial supposed sighting, Todd made Carter drive around the scenic parts of Llanview just to settle his head. The sighting just brought back a huge tidal wave of emotions relating to their relationship that for the time being affected him a great deal. To be truly honest, he never thought about searching for Evangeline because he made it a point to refocus his energies into raising Sam and reconnecting with Starr and Jack. Aside from his business and Blair's periodic intrusions, he remained busy from the time he woke up until he set his head down on the pillow. There wasn't any time to rethink the grave mistakes of his past only to live for the present. 

Life had a way of throwing a monkey wrench into any carefully laid plans.

He slumped against the back seat of his black escalade. It became hard to gain an exact prospective on what to do next. He felt off his game and it irritated him to no end. Staring out the window, his head leaning alongside his right hand, he sighed wearily. Even after all this time spent apart, he senses her presence. Perhaps his mind was playing a cruel trick yet the feeling refused to go away.

For Carter sometimes working for Mr. Manning meant going that extra mile especially when he went into a funk over his ex and he wasn't referring to Blair. The two never spoke of it but he heard the rumours floating around regarding Manning and his ex-lawyer, turned best friend then eventually lovers. She quickly left Llanview and everyone understood it was because of Mr. Manning remarrying Blair. Whatever the reasoning her leaving affected his boss even when he did his best not to let it show.

 

"Where to Mr. Manning?"

 

Todd didn't respond immediately. He knew going back to the penthouse right now was out of the question; his mind would be forever distracted. Three options kept swirling around in his brain - drink it off, sleep it off which was doubtful or pay little sis a long overdue visit.

 

"Remember your old haunt."

 

"I guess we're going back down memory lane."

 

 

****

"So let me get this straight, my option won out...go figure," a perturbed Layla stated.

 

She was in the midst of nursing her second cosmopolitan or was it her third. It had to be her third to be putting up with the likes of Todd Manning and dismissing her entourage. Reserving a private room upstairs at the Oasis came at a cost.

 

"VIP?"

 

"And I was having a grand time too until you showed up. You're lucky I owed Carter a huge favour. I told him we're even now."

"Where is Evangeline?" He got straight to the point.

 

"In her skin...I can't believe it," Layla said shaking her head. "Don't you have a fleet of investigators on your payroll? I simply cannot be your only source for Evangeline updates..."

 

"Oh Come On Layla!" Todd yelled aggravated.

 

"No you come on!" Layla pointed an accusatory index finger at him, setting aside her drink. "My sister has always been in your corner and I could never understand why. The one time she needed you, put her heart on the line for you, you smashed it to pieces." Todd started to open his mouth. "I'm not finished...," she glared at him. "She loved you and you devastated her so completely that she left Llanview without sending so much as a text message to me..."

 

"I had a hard choice," Todd replied with his head down. Her words stabbing at his heart.

 

"Well your hard choices usually involve your overbearing ex-wife. Marrying her Todd how could you? There must have been another way."

 

He looked up at her. "There wasn't another way!"

 

"Then that says it all doesn't it." Layla crossed her legs. "Why don't you do yourself and the rest of us a huge favour and leave my sister alone. She deserves to move on with her life."

 

"I can't," he said leaning over and rubbing his palms together. "She's my only shot at complete happiness. Believe it or not Layla, I do love her..."

 

"Then you have a weird way of showing it. Why you do the things you do...just another part of the Todd psyche."

 

"I know she's returned to Llanview. I just need to talk to her."

 

"To give her another explanation, forget it Todd, it's too late. ...You know I once believed that you would have tracked her down by now but thank heaven for small mercies."

 

"I lost my nerve..."

find

 

Layla let out a light chuckle. "Never in my wildest dreams...but stranger things have happened." She sighed. "Well Todd this has been such an interesting conversation but I need to get my party on and of course my peeps are waiting. ...May I be excused?" she added mockingly.

 

"You haven't answered my question," Todd countered, his eyes narrowly focused on hers.

 

"There's nothing to answer. I haven't heard anything about her coming to Llanview and even if I did, do you honestly believe I will tell you about it?"

 

"I will find her and it won't take long."

 

"Humph...now I see what this little visit is all about. Todd Manning is on the hunt with Evangeline as his target. Everyone beware," she sneered at him. "I hope Stephen is prepared for the bullet train fast approaching," she added rising from her seat.

 

The man's name got his attention. "What? Who is Stephen?" Todd stood up quickly and held her arm.

 

"Let go of me," Layla said in an ominous tone and she snatched her arm away. "Yes Todd, Evangeline has finally moved on and has been married to Stephen for two years now."

 

He felt like Layla punched him in the gut. He fell back into the seat with a look of disbelief on his face. Married?

 

"And here I thought this evening couldn't get any better," Layla ended with a smile on her face.

 

 

****

 

Evangeline...married? He kept replaying those two words over and over. That could have been him. It should have been him. He grabbed Layla's leftover drink and gulped it down. For the moment he just couldn't seem to move. It didn't matter. This Stephen guy meant nothing. He could never get in the way of what they'll always share.

 

"I've loved you for a long time but I was too afraid..."

 

"The infamous Todd Manning afraid? Impossible..."

 

"I've always been afraid of sharing with you exactly how I feel Angel."

 

"Why?"

 

"You are so...perfect and I'm..."

 

"Todd I'm not perfect, far from it. I hate when people place me on this unrealistic pedestal like there's this special criteria for the man that is supposed to be in my life."

 

"Yet I am the monster..."

 

"I don't want to hear it! Stop putting yourself down. ...I see you Todd Manning. I've always seen the real you. Underneath all the bravado..."

 

"Bravado?"

 

"Yes bravado... there's a man who is charming, wonderful, loving and absolutely adorable when he wants to be. Sometimes ...I wish you would love yourself as much as I love you and I...do...love...you...always."

 

"Always..."

 

"And forever..."

 

He slowly closed his eyes, lightly touching his mouth with his fingertips. Recalling the sensation of her soft, plump lips against his, the feel of her hands at the back of his neck pulling him downwards as their kiss deepen. Recalling her mouth tasting of expensive wine and strawberries while his tongue explored within.

 

The cocktail glass shattered within his grasp and his eyes popped opened.

 

"We have never been over. We will have our always Angel."

 

 

****

 

"Layla why did you feel the need to tell him?" Evangeline questioned more than a little upset about what transpired.

 

Instead of heading for the dancefloor, Layla retreated to the ladies' room to get away from the noise and call Evangeline.

 

"He didn't seem to know and it became my duty to tell him," Layla replied sarcastically. "He also didn't need to come to me to ask about your whereabouts. Why does he always do that?"

 

"You're my sister...seeing and talking to you makes him feel connected to me in some weird way..."

 

"Oh my goodness Vange, you still have a lesson plan for Todd 101..."

 

"Haven't I moved on with my life as promised? And you understand the reason why I need to see him. This cannot go on any longer given the circumstances. I really need your support Layla not your cynicism." 

 

"Okay, Okay sis. I get it. I really do. Todd knows how to work my brain. ...I guess you're going to see him in the morning."

 

"I'm certain he'll be holdup in his office not wanting to see or speak to anyone."

 

"Lesson 2 from the Todd 101 workbook," Layla muttered under her breath.

 

"What?"

 

"Nothing. It's pretty late and you need to get some rest. Tomorrow is going to be a big day. Just don't forget to call me okay."

 

 

"Okay."

Chapter 3 by chocolate470

I want to tell all my reviewers that my account isn't functioning right now and I'm unable to respond to your reviews. I certainly appreciate all those who have taken time out to write a review for my story. Thanks so very much! 

Why did it feel like the sun was refusing to start the day? A tired and frustrated Evangeline contemplated this question as she listened to the various sounds of the waning evening. A four star luxury suite inclusive of room service also featuring a small kitchenette; she lacked for nothing except a good night's rest. 
She sat up in bed gazing off into the semi darkness; another sleepless night. She massaged her temples. The glass of warm milk she drank earlier did no wonders for her. These sleepless episodes started to become a regular occurrence ever since she made the decision to return to Llanview. At first Stephen fully supported her but subsequently he began questioning her judgment viewing it as rash and unnecessary. They were building a family and future together why revisit the past. Of course she didn't care for his attitude perceiving herself to be in the right on this one.
"I don't like us fighting for whatever reason..."
"You think I'm enjoying this just because Todd's my ex..."
"No let's be honest here. Todd is the love of your life."
From the beginning, she kept nothing about her relationship with Todd hidden from him. Too many lies and miscommunication had affected her past relationships and she didn't need for it to carry over into this one. Leaving Llanview didn't mean that she had totally given up on the idea of being with someone else considering Todd was playing happy family man with his free time. She enjoyed so many things about Stephen too and it hurt when they were at odds about something this important.  
She took in his words being so callously thrown in her face but then she hit back. "Don't you recall that this same man has also irreparable broken my heart. I have a life here, career, family, friends and especially my amazing husband. There's no going back."
"Now there is and I'm sorry baby but I just can't in good conscious support you on this."
"Then I need to do what I must and I hope you don't view this as any slight against you."
Conversations in the days following were either tense or nonexistent putting the first major rift on their fledging marriage. Evangeline never consider it a deal breaker though, just another part of the ups and downs of marriage life. Once this was over things were sure to return to some sort of normalcy.
Sleep Evangeline, it won't help to meet Todd looking all weary with bags under your eyes. Don't dare give him the satisfaction. Momma never raised any slouch. A Williamson was always well put together no matter what. Sleep...
She adjusted her pillows and eased back beneath the covers. When her head touched the pillow she sighed as her mind finally began slipping into the elusive dreamland.

♥♥♥♥♥
Morning didn't arrive quickly enough for Todd. He allowed Carter to drop him off at the penthouse. He showered, dressed in t-shirt and shorts, and took care of his hand wound best as he could. Later on he retreated into the living room, pouring himself a two-finger scotch and sat nursing it staring off into space until the darkness changed to light. He showered again, dressed in dark slacks and a crisp, blue shirt, poured himself a cup of coffee and exited.
At the office he checked in with Sam who was bombed about an upcoming test.
"Sam your father is a journalist. You should ace this."
"Dad you do tabloid journalism. There is a huge difference..."
Todd feigned hurt. "Listening to Aunt Vicki again I see. Get to school before I disinherit you," he chuckled.
"Bye dad..."
He informed Frank regarding his change in plans not really knowing about a reschedule and laid out specific instructions to his assistant, Tina. In a way, it felt good keeping his mind occupied although...
"Evangeline Williamson? Your ex-lawyer friend?" "Don't sound so surprised Dylan. It's not like you don't have a clue about our relationship."
"And you still can't get over..."
"You better hold your tongue right there D. We're not and will never be at that level. I've been consistently generous to your bank account over the years. Getting information is what you do on my behalf. I'm not interested in you playing Dr. Phil on me ok!"
"Ok! Ok!"
"Evangeline is married to some bastard named Stephen and I need you to dig as deep as the bottomless pit to find out about his background..."
He soon heard a persistent knocking at his office door. 
"What the...Tina has some esplaining to do. D you understand what you need to do. Get back to me with something!" He hung up and pressed his intercom. "My dear Tina do you enjoy dealing with the other side of my personality?" He crossed his arms and leaned closer. "Because if you don't then you better get rid of whoever is knocking at the other side of my door. I specifically told you no calls, no visitors with the exception of my kids and my sister of course."
"Mr. Manning, believe me you will want to see this person..."

"The door was unlocked and I decided to come in. It didn't seem like you heard me knocking..."
The moment their eyes meant it was like space and time were suspended. It left both momentarily speechless. Whatever emotions lay dormant hastily resurfaced. 
To hear that angelic voice, to see her once again in person had Todd frozen in place. His eyes drank in every inch of her. There has always been an air about Evangeline whenever she stepped into a room. The grace and confidence she exuberated made it impossible for anyone to look away. Gazing at her now he observed that she was dressed casually in jeans and a brown, wraparound blouse, hair fashioned in a ponytail while her face was devoid of any makeup. She simply looked amazing and it almost took his breath away.
For Evangeline, Todd remained ever suave, more than handsome with his ageless features. Whether he was dressed for the office or an evening out, the outfit tailored his body perfectly. Her mind recalled every detail that lay beneath. She both blushed and admonished herself at her thoughts. And then there were those incredible blue eyes which forever felt like they were peering into her soul. It seemed he knew all her moods or whatever she desired most. She needed to look away.
"Evangeline... it's..." Words failed him. He knew what he wanted to say but the words got jumbled in his brain. He felt like a teenage boy wanting to ask the most popular girl out on a first date.
"It's been a long time...I know. Even after everything that has gone on between us, I needed to see you. ...Trevor, come back here..." 
Trevor? It was then that Todd noticed Evangeline running behind n adorable little curly haired boy dressed in a plaid shirt and jeans touting around in his first pair of air jordans. The little boy started giggling with excitement because Evangeline still couldn't catch up with him. 
"Trevor stop..."
"Don't worry I'll catch him."
Todd quickly rose from his chair and captured the boy in his arms.
"Gotcha!" The little boy squealed and Todd let out a small laugh. It brought back memories of those times when he too was running around chasing after Sam.
"Trevor can be a handful at times," she said apologetically. "Then again he reminds me of someone..."
"Is he your son?" 
It began to slowly sink in that there may be more hurdles to cross in getting her back in his life if it were even possible now. Not only was she married but they had a son as well. Yet another setback and this day was going along so great.
Evangeline somberly nodded her head. "Your son as well...Our son..."

Chapter 4 by chocolate470

Todd went deathly pale scarcely noticing when Trevor scrambled out of his arms, awkwardly rushing over to his mother. He staggered backwards taking in shallow, deep breaths. His eyes wondered briefly over to Evangeline who knelt down to Trevor's eye-level speaking softly. It appeared she cared little about how this stunning announcement was affecting him. And this day started off with so much promise, he exhaled. He spun away from them, hands firmly planted on his hips. His gaze now directed towards the large glass window, which stretched across the width of the office; providing an excellent view of the Llanview skyline. He has a son. He and Evangeline have a son and his name is Trevor. The more he thought about it the more an anger steadily escalated within him. He felt an overwhelming sense of betrayal. Why didn't she say anything? The woman he adored most in this world kept from him the biggest secret. The Evangeline he knew would have come to him from the beginning regardless of what transpired between them. This was like experiencing Michael and Marcie all over again.

"Why did you keep him from me? Why?! I would have never expected this especially from you." His voice laced with hurt, disappointment, anger. "And you have another man raising our son! Calling him dad!"  

His office was eerily quiet as he awaited a response. A heavy tension lingered in the air. Both Evangeline and Trevor stared at him a bit stunned, unmoving. The earlier warm feelings of seeing each other after years spent apart quickly dissipating.

"Now is not the time to get into this discussion..."

"Then when is the perfect time Evangeline because I need answers right now!"

He swung his right arm across his desk; clearing its contents, all of which came crashing to the ground with enough noise to make Trevor start crying. Evangeline immediately lifted him into her arms, soothingly rubbing small circles on his back while giving Todd a menacing glare.

"It's alright. It's alright...There's nothing to be scared of."

Todd calmed down considerably. He plopped down into one of his side chairs, leaning over and covering his face with the palms of his hands. That initial burst of justified angry retreating. He never wanted Trevor to be scared of him. He imagined his son's eyes wide with fright and his little heart beating rapidly. He listened intently to Evangeline doing her best to calm him down. Some moments passed and it became quite once more, the silence very surreal. He speculated that Evangeline might have left which made him anxiously look up.

"Todd..." She looked down at the mixture of emotions in his eyes. Everything she expected. She never doubted his ability to be a good father even if his early actions towards his older children said otherwise.

For Todd it was a wonderful surprise to see both of them still in his office, standing in front of him.

"The main reason I brought Trevor here is so that you can spend some time with your son."

"After all this time I'm glad you think so..." The words rushed out of his mouth.

She dismissed the comment and continued, "Certainly I do realize that our conversation is far from over..."

"Not by a long shot," Todd seethed rising from his seat. "There are so many things you haven't said but for now we'll do things your way."

"Yeah my way of course," Evangeline smirked rolling her eyes.

Todd stretched out his arms and Trevor went into them without any fuss. "Here's my little man." He noticed that Trevor clutched a dark brown pound puppy. It carried the same red collar and dog tag from years ago when he gave it to Evangeline. A just because gift he recalled. Evangeline was never the type of woman to accept or care about lavish, expensive gifts.

"You kept it," he remarked somewhat amazed, his mouth slightly agape.

"It's his favourite toy. It keeps him calm especially when mommy is away." She lovingly gazed at her son; ruffling his curly hair. Trevor giggled.

"You're leaving?"

"It's best. You two need to share some long overdue alone time and this tension between us won't come in the way of that." Todd nodded in agreement. "...His bag is on the couch. It contains everything he needs."

"How long will you be gone?"

"Till this evening. Hopefully I'll meet you at the penthouse," her dark, brown eyes questioned.

"Yeah I'll ask Vicki to keep Sam for another night."

Sam she thought how grown up he must be now. She was certain Todd was drawing parallels. "Ok..."

She kissed Trevor's forehead and both his cheeks thereafter waving goodbye. "Be good. Mommy will come for you later."

"Bye mommy..."

She gave Todd one final look before exiting. It conveyed a hopeful trust. She ran quickly to the elevator glad for it opening once she pressed the button. She perceived the intense stares from those in the office. The news of her return was sure to start circulating throughout Llanview. Let the speculations begin, she sighed as the elevator doors closed.

 

Suddenly the jitters of being a father to an unfamiliar son came rushing back. It was the same way when Sam came into this life. At first, he didn't know what to do or say. Would he respond to him? There was so much yet to learn, another personality to untangle. At least he didn't seem afraid of him.

He kissed the top of his head and breathed in its scent of baby shampoo. "I already love you so much. I hope one day you'll see me as your father and love me the same way..."

Unshed tears blurred his vision. He sensed a small palm press lightly against his left cheek, which made the tears freely flow. A concerned Trevor offered up his precious toy. "Don't cry...," Trevor said in his small little voice. Todd hugged him tightly.

"Just like your mother," he softly admitted, kissing the side of his face. For now, he chose not to think about the past. "Hey let's say we get out of here and have some fun."

 

 

♥♥♥♥♥

 

The elevator doors couldn't open up fast enough for Evangeline who came rushing past them, through the main doors and unto the street outside. Once her boots hit the pavement she let out a huge breath, leaned her back against the side of the building, hugging herself. She was literally shaking uncontrollably having lost all of her built up composure. Seeing the man, you once loved so completely and putting out such a huge announcement can do that to you. Certainly, she understood Todd's reaction, interacting and being friends with him for enough years gave her a huge indication. She kept her pregnancy and their son a secret. If circumstances reversed, she knew her reaction would be the same. Yet there were varied reasons for that most significant decision but it was never because of revenge. Never...

It took a few moments but her strayed nerves recovered enough for her to stroll over to her car service that waited just a few strides ahead. She cared less if anyone was staring at her or the many questions, which may or may not be reverberating inside their minds. The thought of calling Layla right now pushed to the backburner given the oncoming headache. A ride back to her hotel room, a couple of aspirins and a short nap provided the best opportunity to regroup.

 

֍֍֍֍

 

"You should have still called me earlier," a ticked off Layla commented as she sat beside Evangeline sampling her plate of shrimp salad. "Just look at you." She noticed a weariness in her whole demeanour. "And you should eat. It doesn't do Trevor any good to see his mother becoming weak and depressed."

"I'm not becoming weak or depressed," Evangeline protested but instead of arguing, she took a reasonable bite of her chicken sandwich. It tasted quite bland but she knew it had more to do with her present mood.

"Then don't let Todd get to you."

"He does have a right to be angry considering. Besides Todd isn't getting to me... just the situation as it is."

Layla preferred to retrieve her cup of ice tea from the side table taking a long, slow sip.

Evangeline gave her a side eye. "Come on Layla."

"What? I didn't say anything. I believe you."

"Yeah..." Evangeline left it at that and tried her best to continue eat.

"Vange I firmly renew my objections about you and Trevor staying at this hotel especially when your sister has enough room. ...I never get to see you and Trevor especially with my busy schedule and you guys living in so far away...please..." Layla sulked.

"Ok, ok you win. I do see your point plus I hate to see a Williamson beg," Evangeline chuckled. "It certainly doesn't look good on you."

"Whatever, anything looks good on me," Layla smiled back at her. "This will give me a chance to be here for my big sis who has always been there for me throughout my crazy moments," she said clutching Evangeline's hands. "I know this is turning into one heck of an overwhelming experience."

Evangeline shifted her eyes away. "From the beginning I expected it to be this way but I'm also worried about Stephen. This is not his fault. I alone placed this burden upon us."

Layla countered, "And he knew what he was getting into."

"Or maybe he thought he did," Evangeline reflected. "Todd is capable of doing anything and I don't want Stephen to feel any less about us and the strength of our family."

"You haven't heard from him."

"Not since the last time he called," she breathed, "which ended in a huge argument."

 

Layla started realizing the true gravity of the situation. Would Evangeline ever be free of Todd's hold on her life? Sadly, the answer appeared to be never. Like it or not, Todd held a part of her that was beyond Stephen's reach and she feared for her big sis. Not that she would voice that opinion aloud to Evangeline.

"Be honest with me Evangeline. What was it like seeing Todd again after so long?"

Evangeline eased back into the couch and thought about it; her right leg tucked beneath her left, fingers playing with the hem of her blouse. Life seemed so simple sitting here with her sister compared to what awaited her beyond those doors.

"That's a gorgeous man from head to toe," she readily admitted.

"Yeah the fair haired beast with the ability to drain the life out of you... Count Dracula at your service..."

Evangeline couldn't help but chuckle at Layla's description until she became serious again.

"I can never deny what we once shared. It's forever a part of both of us but I also remember the heartache that came along with it."

"Oh Vange I want you to be happy. You deserve to be happy."

"And I will be again once this situation is resolved."

"I really hope so. Humph, that is enough intense conversing for one day. We should do some sisterly bonding while Todd is playing father of the year with my nephew. We can go shopping over in Penn..."

"No I'm not going to avoid bumping into the Llanview community. My life is my life not theirs," she stated emphatically.

"Now that's the Vange I know and love."

Evangeline smiled, "Thanks for being here Lays."

"Anytime sis," she replied while giving her a warm hug. "Anytime..."

End Notes:

Thanks to Jacci for greatly assisting me with updating my story while my account was giving me a lot of trouble. Turns out I needed to change the whole system and now everything is working YAY! So everyone please read and review and I'll definitely be able to respond!

Chapter 5 by chocolate470

Evangeline's eyes scanned for familiar and unfamiliar landmarks along the drive from Layla's posh apartment suite. It was obvious Layla was moving up in Llanview society and Llanview was changing right along with her but not quite full speed ahead. She caught sight of a few of those places that carried with it memories, which seemed like a lifetime ago. She sighed, shifting in her seat thinking about what may be going on between Trevor and his father. Then she thought about Stephen.

 

"Don't think about it," Layla said, "you'll drive yourself crazy."

 

"I'm trying hard not to."

 

"Then try harder." Layla turned into the parking lot. "Here we are Angel Square, where we'll find Llanview's premier shopping and dining."

 

Upon exiting the car, Evangeline noticed the store's title.

 

"Chaussures & Borse?"

 

"Not what you remember right?" Layla smiled walking arm in arm with Evangeline. She appeared more excited about this shopping trip. As usual, Evangeline felt taken along for the ride. "But they carry the best shoes and handbags."

 

"And I bet the price is way up there," Evangeline quibbled.

 

"Yeah but I'm sponsoring remember. I hope your brain isn't regretting this little shopping detour."

 

"No...no...," she shook her head. "As long as you're sponsoring," she gave Layla a slight smack on the shoulder. She felt the rays of the sun hitting her skin. I Might as well embrace this part of the day...

 

As soon as they stepped into the store, both perceived all eyes on them but it only lasted for a short while. The bold colours of the merchandise stacked horizontal, vertically, diagonally, and circularly kept their minds occupied. While Layla was distracted with the different choices, Evangeline zeroed in on a bejewelled ensemble not too flashy but it carried a statement.

 

"Hey Vange, what do you think?" Layla displayed four different colours and style shoes; a pair for each hand. Evangeline understood coordinated bags featured as well.

 

"Layla just because you have money doesn't mean that you shouldn't save some for a rainy day. How much are you saving?"

 

"Spoilsport," Layla muttered returning two of the shows back to their displays but her fingers lingered for a little while. "Sometimes you behave like Lisa Williamson the second."

 

"And you love me too..."

 

"Evangeline...is that you?" Both spun around to that unmistakable voice. "It's really you."

 

"Hello Vicki. It's good to see you." Evangeline replied unfazed by her presence.

 

"It's good to see you as well. Hello Layla..."

 

"Hey Vicki," she greeted before turning back around.

 

Layla was never in the mood for conversing with Victoria Lord Manning. There was something disingenuous contained within her mannerisms; always angling for information especially for her brother. She also knew given the opportunity, Blair was first preference. Today she wore the typical Vicki office red suit; hair cut in a stylish bob, light jewellery consisting of a gold earring and bracelet.

 

"Where have you been all this time?"

 

"Living and working in Maryland. I decided one day to take some time and visit Layla."

 

"You'll find that some things have changed in Llanview."

 

"While others have remained the same..."

 

"So true," Vicki smiled. "Well it has been great seeing you and don't be a stranger. You'll always be a special part of the Llanview community."

 

"Evangeline!"


Before Vicki could move off an acquaintance of Evangeline came rushing over.

 

"Michelle..."

 

"Girl you haven't aged one bit..."

 

"Good genes." Both shared a laugh and continued with a lively conversation until Michelle needed to leave.

 

 Layla approached her and said, "I almost expect Blair to come popping around the corner."

 

"Way too early for her, she usually wants to catch me off guard."

 

"And when she discovers the whole truth?"

 

"We'll see who blinks first," she replied seriously.

 

 

֍֍֍֍

 

"Uh Oh...all fall down," Trevor remarked in that small voice which Todd quickly came to adore.

 

"All fall down on daddy you mean," Todd said as he briefly tickled him. His eyes scrutinized his son's features, a perfect combination of the two of them. No mistaken those were his eyes gazing back at him.

 

A couple of times Trevor asked for Evangeline but otherwise the two were having so much fun in the Penthouse game room. All sorts of toys from building blocks, to trains, video games, hot wheels, a couple of arcade games and the like occupied the huge space. For now, Todd thought it best to hang out at the penthouse away from prying eyes of the curious Llanview snoops. His kids will learn the truth soon enough. Certainly, Starr was going to be supportive; on the other hand, Jack's reaction usually depended on his mood. Sam was the enigma. He may be jealous and angry at first at the prospect of having to share daddy's attention with a new little brother.

 

For the time being he pushed aside those feelings keeping his focus on this unexpected blessing. Todd discovered a few of his character traits like wanting to do things in his own way no matter the failings; playing the same game over and over again until Todd peaks his interest in something new. Trevor also enjoyed laughing and running around. Todd believed he burned off enough calories chasing after him.

 

"Hey I believe its snack time for the both of us."

 

"Snack time!"

 

Todd searched through Trevor's bag and located a light blue plastic container. When he peaked inside, it revealed half of a grilled wheat cheese sandwich along with some sweet potato chips and a juice box. 

 

"You kiddo are eating way healthier than your dad."

 

"Daddy..."

 

It stunned Todd to hear him say it. The obvious question lingered, was Trevor referring to himself or that other guy? He preferred to believe the former.

 

"Airplane! Airplane! Airplane!" Trevor kept jumping up and down.

 

That snapped Todd back to reality. "Ok," Todd replied crouching down to Trevor's eyelevel. "It will soon be time for lift off."

 

"Now! Now!"

 

"So demanding," Todd chuckled. He lifted Trevor into his arms and carried him off to the kitchen airplane style.

 

 

  ♥♥♥♥♥

 

"Have you ever considered moving away from here?"

 

Todd's hands encircled her waist, his mouth nipping lightly, tasting the sweetness of chocolate skin just beneath her chin. He barely heard her question too caught up with this beautiful woman wrapped in his arms.

 

"Hmmm Todd there's enough time for pleasure. Answer the question," she said trying to be serious. She really wanted to get his view on the subject.

 

"What question?" He placed soft kisses on her bare shoulders as he moved aside the strap of her blouse.

 

"Moving out of the penthouse silly," Evangeline giggled. It was becoming hard not to succumb to his pleasurable onslaught, her body already overheating with the need for him.

 

He spun her around to face him. "Humph I see us married, three of our children running around in a huge backyard..."

 

"Why does that sound like you have more than three children in mind? Two kids Todd. Twins would be awesome - over and done with in one pregnancy."

 

"Hey there's always compromise..."

 

She kissed him softly, encircling her arms around his neck while his drew her in closer.

 

"Your Angel has spoken."

 

 

"Evangeline?"

 

"Wha...what?" His hands motioned for her to have a seat but she immediately responded, "No thank you," folding her arms, "I prefer to stand," the attitude evident in her tone and posture. She was bracing for a showdown.

 

They were alone in his home office. Strange enough Layla was upstairs supervising a sleeping Trevor. When they first arrived, she sensed the tension between them; however, Todd acquiesced when the idea came up.

 

 

 

 

"You must really hate me..."

 

Did he really need to say that? "Hate is such a strong word. Don't play the victim here..."

 

"Why not?!" An indignant Todd lifted his hands high in the air. "You kept Trevor a secret for 3½ years. I missed your entire pregnancy. I missed watching him take his first breath. And what about those other milestones that I can never get back?!"

 

"I could have kept him from away forever!"

 

Her words gave him pause. "You wouldn't have been that heartless!"

 

"Well I learned from the best didn't I?"

 

It was as if Evangeline had smacked him hard across the face. For quite a while, that night haunted him. Sometimes he would wake up with a cold sweat unable to breathe.

 

"Is everything you say going to come back to that night?" he questioned evenly.

 

"In this case yes. Three months I was away from this nightmare." She held up three fingers to emphasize her point further. "Still doing my best to get over and erase this place from my memory..."

 

"Don't you think it hurt me to do that to you...to us...?"

 

"I hurt worst! You had a choice Todd Manning!" She screamed at him.

 

"Oh yeah right a choice between the love of my life and my son." He shook his head in disbelief. "Is that what you mean Evangeline?"

 

"No a choice between following Blair or remaining by my side. Patience was never one of your virtues," she added mockingly.

 

"Mike and Marcie dominated Sam's life and they did their best to keep my son away from me which included your ex..." Evangeline scoffed turning aside from him. "Yes I wanted the easy way out. I was beyond tired, frustrated, longing to hold my son who was created out of the most sadistic circumstance." His voice increased in volume. "I had to tell you the truth! I had to break your heart; tear apart our dreams and future together. It kills me every day knowing what I did this to us and if it wasn't for Sam I would have gone crazy by now."

 

"It is what it is now Todd," she shrugged. "There's no going back..."

 

"Oh because of Stephen... the new Mrs?"

 

"Mrs Thomas and don't you dare..."

 

"I'll dare say that you won't be leaving Llanview with our son."

 

"Are you seriously threatening me right now?" Evangeline gave him an incredulous glare.

 

"As Trevor's father I have rights too least you forget."

 

"Believe me I haven't forgotten. ...You must really think this was so easy, such an easy decision for Evangeline Williamson.  I can see it in your eyes. You still have me on this high pedestal ...but I'm not perfect Todd!"

 

Todd blinked shifting his eyes away from her. He never really gave much thought to whatever she may have experienced especially carrying the child of the man who broke her heart. He always proclaimed that he would never allow anyone to hurt her and yet he too became a part of that shameful list. He poured himself a glass of water and drank down half its contents. "I don't...I cannot...," he stammered.

 

"No you cannot comprehend the half of it! I wasn't going to give him up and I wasn't going to get rid of him so I only had one option. Each day I regained that part of myself which I allowed you to take away so that he had a chance of life and later on a family."

 

Evangeline was emotionally tax yet she refused to breakdown or shed any tears. She let out a huge breath, briefly closed her eyes then reopened them. No, she did not hate him. She hated the circumstances.

 

"Todd I'm truly sorry but don't compare me to your ex-wife. You and Blair throw the word hate around so often that it has lost its true meaning. I can never hate the father of my child. If I did then Trevor wouldn't be here right now. For his sake, let's stop fighting about this. I'm certain we can work out an arrangement before we take it further than it needs to be. ...Please..."

 

He wanted to give a condescending comment but dismissed it rather quickly. He leaned against the edge of his desk, massaging his forehead. There was much to consider, that righteous indignation slowly dissipating. First off, he needed to admit that he adored her still. Stephen has his family and if Dylan didn't come up with the goods, he wasn't sure of his next move.

 

"Todd..."

 

"His name is...?"

 

"Trevor John Williamson."

 

He liked knowing that his son didn't carry another man's surname.

 

"Eventually his surname will be changed but in the meantime we can go into mediation to work out something amicable."

 

His response made her relax a little. A part of her felt extraordinarily drained of energy and she just wanted to sink into the comforts of a soft, warm bed.

 

"I suggest we choose someone from outside our circle."

 

"I agree."

"He or she cannot come in with any biased opinions. It will be easier for you to find a mediator."

 

"Sure I'll make a few calls but in the meantime..."

 

"I'll take some time off from work so that I can see as much of him as possible. He needs to learn and understand that I'm there for him."

 

She locked eyes with his and said, "Trevor does know that you are his father."

 

That information elated his heart but deep down he recognized that he also called Stephen daddy as well.

 

"Evangeline..." He reached out his hands to her. Evangeline's eyes lingered on his palms unsure of what the gesture meant. "We were once best friends. Now we are parents to a handsome, adorable little boy. I want there to be some sort of truce between us not only for his sake..."

When he was like this, it made a world of difference. He rarely displayed this softer side of himself. She went into his arms, let her guard down and cried softly on his shoulder. What am I doing? Just as quickly, she flinched, stepped back and ran out of the room.

 

"Evangeline...Evangeline..."

 

Todd plopped down on to the floor in front of his desk. .He decided it best not to go after her. They will see each other again soon enough. He wanted her. He wanted their son. He wanted their family. So help him, he would get them back.

 

Chapter 6 by chocolate470

When Evangeline and Trevor appeared then stepped through the penthouse front door Todd imagined his gorgeous wife and handsome son coming home to him after a weekend away. Wishful thinking... maybe.  His mind starting to go over the edge... perhaps. Yet he truly believed that time has a way of changing things for the better especially if you make it so.

Trevor anxiously stretched out his arms as a way of saying hello. Todd hoisted him high in the air, kissed and embraced him.

"Hey there little guy...I'm happy to see you too."

Each time he saw him, Todd adored his little boy even more. Although he missed the earliest part of his life, he promised to be there and interact with him as much as possible.  Soon they will leave town but he tried not to dwell on it.

"You missed me?" Trevor shook his head up and down in response. "I missed you too," he said giving him a squeeze.

Trevor babbled away and Todd smiled shaking his head. Naturally, his eyes went over in Evangeline's direction.

"You can wipe that smirk off your face," Evangeline remarked as she strolled past him.

Todd scoffed in disbelief. "What are you talking about?" He followed behind her, his left hand scratching the back of his head. "I'm happy to see our son."

"Let's drop the subject ok...."

Evangeline took a seat on the couch in the living room. Trevor wiggled free from Todd's arms quickly running over and finding a perfect seat on his mother's lap.

"So can I get you anything?"

"I'm fine thank you." She shot him a brief glance. "Not like I'm staying long."

"So... where is this husband of yours?"

Oh no he didn't. "Why is that any of your business?" she asked calmly.

"Because I wouldn't allow my beautiful wife to be off somewhere with the man..."

"Stop right there. I'm not getting into this with you. Last night you caught me at a vulnerable moment. I promise you that it won't happen again and if this conversation continues along this line then I will gladly leave."

Evangeline gave him a knowing look. Todd responded by raising his palms in surrender. For now, playtime was over for the adults but he will gladly accept just having her around however brief it may be. Besides getting into a heating discussion in front of Trevor was never a good thing. Just then, he received a call and went off to the other side of the room. Evangeline went into Trevor's bag.

"Mommy have to go."

"Yes but your daddy is here. Remember what mommy said."

"Hmmm...humph." Trevor shook his head up and down. "Mommyyyy" he started squealing when Evangeline began tickling him.

"Who does mommy love?" Evangeline asked planting kisses on his face.

"Me!'

"And who loves mommy?"

"Me!"

Todd returned enjoying the playful scene. He cleared his throat. "Evangeline..."

Before she could respond, there was a knock at the door.

"Sam is coming over to get something," Todd hastily remarked as he approached the front door.

Evangeline shrugged her shoulders. "Ok." It really didn't matter to her one way or the other.

 

 

"Dad I know I shouldn't be here right now but I need my math book."

"Test huh?"

"Incomplete assignment..."

"Sam..." Todd wrinkled his forehead.

"Don't worry dad math is fifth period and I'm sure I can get it completed by then."

"You better," his tone warned. "Is your Aunt Vicki downstairs waiting?"

"Yeah..."

"Then go and get your book. You know she doesn't like to wait..."

Evangeline's eyes floated over them. Sam was a mini Todd with the blond hair, blue eyes. He already appeared to be quite sure of himself.

"Evangeline?"

"You must be Sam," her tone brighten.

"You know me?" he asked suddenly amazed and a little in awe of the woman whom his father always spoke about with such adoration. She was actually here in their living room. He recalled seeing a couple of pictures in his dad's bedroom and private office. She was definitely more beautiful in person.

"Yes," Evangeline chuckled. Another charmer in the Manning household, she surmised.

"Dad she's here." Sam was rooted at his spot looking straight at her. His eyes spied Trevor shifting on her lap. "Is he your son?"

"Yes this is Trevor." She understood that Todd wanted the responsibility of revealing Trevor's relationship with him. "Say hi to Sam."

"Hi..."

"Hi..."

Todd nudged him. "Sam, get your book and go."

"But dad..." Todd gave Sam a look and he immediately ran up the stairs.

"Like father like son..."

"Yeah but he's so much better than me. I want the best for him always."

"I'm glad you got him back," Evangeline said sincerely.

 

Within a few minutes, Sam came bounding down the stairs. Todd took him aside and said, "Don't tell your Aunt Vicki about seeing Evangeline. I don't want her questioning you."

"I understand dad. ...Evangeline will I see you again later."

"I'm not sure but hopefully."

Sam gave Todd a perplexed look. "I'll work on it," he whispered and watched as a satisfied Sam exited.

"What have you been telling Sam about me?"

"Sorry my lips are sealed."

She could only speculate and left it at that. "I believe it's time for me to leave as well." You can say neither Todd nor Trevor wanted her to leave. "Give mommy a hug and kiss." Trevor acquiesced and thereafter he began playing with Mr. Wobbles.

Todd walked Evangeline to the front door.

"Todd I'll keep in touch. I hope you two won't stay cooped up inside."

"We won't...promise."

Todd thought he was the perfect time to pull her into an embrace, which surprised her. He lingered taking in her fresh vanilla and jasmine scent. He missed those moments when they used to snuggle up together. So much he had taken for granted when their future of love and happiness seemed all but certain.

 Hmmm Nautica.... Immediately she pulled away asking, "What are you doing?"

"I just wanted to say goodbye as well."

"Oh please Todd...," she replied dismissively with her hand on the doorknob.

"Evangeline I do want us to build some sort of friendship. I understand that it can never be as it was before..."

"No it can't. Too much has changed between us and..." She stared back at Trevor. This was her life now, wife to Stephen and mother to Trevor.

"Talk to me..."

"No I can't...won't...not anymore. You are no longer the person I choose to share my hopes and dreams..."

The point became perfectly obvious that bringing Trevor over worked against her original reasoning for doing so. Yet what did it say about her that he could easily sway her into these stirring conversations? Did she enjoy the fact that he still yearned for them to be together? For so many years, she allowed him to be a part of her world; one could not easily let that go no matter how hard she tried to distance her emotions.

"You will always be my only love," his voice heartrendingly low, utterly sincere. He leaned his head against the doorframe; his incredible blue eyes locked with her exquisite hues.

The emotions going back and forth between them were quite intense. His words cascading down on her like a waterfall on a cool spring day. This moment was strangely terrifying. She hasn't felt like this in a longtime. Again, she let her guard down; she believed her mind and body betraying her.

"Love is never and will never be enough for us. Look at where we are now..."

"Do you still love me?"

For Evangeline the question seem to come out of nowhere. She chose not to respond; instead she quietly opened the door and left. Todd briefly remained by the door impressed by his ability to affect her still. Her response wasn't needed; he already knew and the thought elated his heart.

 

♥♥♥♥♥

While walking through the elevator doors she thought the nerve of Todd Manning but then again her reactions weren't helping him think otherwise. Her body felt hot and tingly; heart furiously pounding. She blew out a few frustrated breaths to calm herself. Eventually she leaned the right side of her body against the elevator's wall as it went down to the main floor. Todd was getting to her in that true Manning fashion. She decided it best to have Trevor's visits arrange on neutral territory.

 

Later On...

"Your mom says we need to get out." Todd sat Trevor on his lap while scrolling through some pictures on his tablet. "So is it going to be the park?" Trevor barely reacted. "Carnival?" He expected more than the reaction he received. "Last one zoo." Trevor pointed at the pictures of the animals and started kicking his feet wildly. "Ok...ok...zoo it is," Todd chuckled. "I think many people believe your father's life..."

"Todd Manning!" Vicki knocked loudly and yelled from outside.

"Uh...I can't take a day off without your Aunt becoming suspicious." He knew ignoring her phone calls might lead to this.

"Todd Manning!"

"Looks like the jig is up kiddo." He kissed Trevor's cheek and placed him on the floor of the living room to play with his trucks. Brum...Brum... He heard Trevor saying before he opened the door.

"What brings you by Vicki?"

"Don't play coy Todd. What in the world is going on with you? First, you cancel your scheduled visit to New York. Then you're taking time away from the office...Oh..." Trevor caught her attention. "Who is that adorable little boy? Don't tell me that you've taking on some babysitting..."

"He's my son Trevor."

Todd relayed the information so calmly that Vicki didn't believe her ears. "What?" her eyes blinked.

"Trevor is my son," he reiterated.

"Are you serious?"

"Do you see me laughing Vicki?" Todd turned and gazed at Trevor who was more interested in his truck collection and lining them up properly.

Vicki face etched with concern. "Who? When? Where? Todd who else knows about this. The boys? Starr?"

"I haven't gotten that chance to tell anyone except you. They will learn about this soon enough. ...I enjoy watching him. Just look at him. I love him so much."

"Are you sure?"

He could not believe what his sister was implying. "Vicki, Evangeline wouldn't lie about something so important..."

Then it dawned on her. "So that's why she's here?"  

"Don't get started on the whys and hows. Forget about it," his voice stressed. "The past is the past. The future is before us."

"Todd she's married. I saw the ring."

Todd offered her an irritated stare. "I know that Vicki. ...Look I really don't want to hear about this right now. Trevor and I are going out."

"At least let me see him."

When Todd introduced the pair, a shy Trevor clung to his father. "I promise you she won't bite although she likes to bark a lot," he whispered to Trevor.

"He is a cutie. Hi little guy I'm your Aunt Vicki." Little by little, Trevor smiled at her. She talked with him a little more. "Alright I won't keep father and son from their day out.  ...Todd we will talk some time later."

"Sure...and Vicki don't go commiserating with Blair."

Vicki opened her mouth to respond but thought it wise not to say anything.

 

֍֍֍֍

 

 Earlier in the day, Evangeline made a quick trip into Angel Square reacquainting herself with a few friends over coffee. She answered as much of their questions as possible except for explaining the true purpose for her visit. Seeking out Nora was not on the agenda though. She perceived Nora to be far too judgmental concerning her relationship with Todd and she didn't want to see the folded arms and the "I told you so" expression on her face. They barely spoke during her time away and had lost contact altogether which suited her just fine.

Now back at Layla's she kept herself entertained with legal readings while lounging on the couch. Layla wanted to stick around and be supportive but Evangeline insisted that seeing after her growing business was far more important.

 

"I'm doing fine...really. Besides I know where to find you."

"I doubt that. These creations don't sell themselves."

 

She had already made a few calls and found a meditator who had no knowledge of their personal history. The initial plan was to discuss it over with Todd. She hoped that old attitudes didn't resurface once the process started. She checked in on Trevor a couple of times. Father and son were getting on better than expected. Good for them both but what about her needs. She perceived herself to be very much alone.

The connection remained but Llanview wasn't her home any longer. Leaning on Todd was definitely out of the question and she grew tired of leaning on Layla even if she didn't find it bothersome. She needed her husband but truthfully, their relationship slowly began falling apart once Trevor was born. It was as if he resented her for spending most of her free time with Trevor. Here they were new parents and she believed he would stand by her side to experience this amazing little life but instead he withdrew. There were small arguments here and there nothing too explosive though. A friend explained to her that since the dynamic of the relationship changed then this was expected but she also knew Trevor's paternity weighed heavily on his mind as well.

Her cell phone rang and she instantly recognized the number. "Hey Stephen..."

"Evangeline come home," Stephen stated in a direct voice.

It irritated her that he didn't even care to ask about her and Trevor's welfare. "Is this the only reason you called? You know why I'm here!"

"And you could have easily sent Manning pictures along with a letter."

"That's not the way I do things especially with something this important."

"You understand how this makes me feel right."

"Then catch a flight to Llanview and be with us," her voice pleaded. "Todd and I are going to work an amicable arrangement and I'll soon be back home."

"Just come home Evangeline. I can't go to Llanview."

"But why? You can take some time off from work..."

"Enough! It is always about you! What about me? I can't take time off of work anytime I feel like it..."

"As oppose to me right? Goodbye Stephen!"

"UGH!" She threw her phone aside, placed her palms on the top of her head and leaning her head back. That familiar jingle on her phone came to life but she chose to ignore it. Ever since her arrival in Llanview, their conversations highlighted a brewing mistrust. She hoped that eventually cooler heads would prevail because this wasn't getting them anywhere fast. It was making her question her decision-making. Was it always about her? Did she marry too quickly? Were her relationships always doomed to fail? If she and Todd remained... Evangeline stop this, she admonished herself. She knew what she needed...dessert. She hopped off the couch and made a beeline for the kitchen. 

 

֍֍֍֍

Later on in the day, Carter dropped off Jack and Sam at the penthouse. Of course, Sam already met Trevor but Jack began a round of questioning. Todd sat both boys down to explain and go over the entire situation. Their eyes darted between Trevor who tugged at Todd's shirt and their father. Jack thought drama was always a part of the Manning clan; Trevor was just the newest addition. After he was finished, Todd was unable to judge their true reactions because they just sat unmoving giving him a blank stare.

Sam was first to break the weird silence. "Whoa Trevor is our brother..."

"I should have known you would be happy," Jack commented.

"So... dad likes Evangeline a whole lot..."

Jack smirked. "But that does not mean they are getting back together..."

"Guys...guys...you don't need to..."

"Dad weren't you mad that she kept Trevor's birth a secret?" Jack questioned.

"Yeah at first I was pretty upset but then it didn't matter. I wanted to spend as much time with Trevor as possible instead of battling with Evangeline."

That answer hardly surprised Jack. Evangeline was everything to his dad unlike his mother.

"Dad are you and Evangeline getting back together?" Sam questioned with curious eyes. Jack wanted an answer as well.

"Not right now and I don't want your mind thinking about it either Sam. Ok Sam," he stressed gazing directly at him.

"Ok dad," Sam shrugged his shoulders.

Todd understood he needed to speak to Sam later.

"You know mom isn't going to react to this well..."

"Jack your mother may believe that she has control over everything especially my life but she doesn't and hasn't for a long time now. I really don't want to bring your mother into this discussion alright."

The very subject of Blair and her thoughts made his blood boil. Trevor touched his cheek and gazed up at him. It made him realize that he needed to take a breath. "I just want the both of you to get acquainted with the newest Manning."

The boys eyed each other. No one seemed particularly interested in making the first move. Todd whispered in Trevor's left ear and he started to giggle. Afterwards he brought him over placing him between his two oldest.

"Hey Trevor I'm your big brother Sam."

"And I'm your big brother Jack."

Trevor's eyes shifted between them. Todd offered up a tablet, which contained pictures of him and Trevor spending the day together at the zoo. This appeared to break the ice. A little while later Trevor was hanging all over his big brothers. Todd enjoyed the scene of his boys laughing and interacting together. Just one last important piece remained to this 3D jigsaw.

Chapter 7 by chocolate470
Author's Notes:

 

Friday night, the perfect evening for "going out on the town" as Layla described it. That meant clubbing at the more upscale Bayview Oasis. Definitely not her "scene" but who could turn down a pouting, annoying little sister who complained that she was spending far too much of her free time with Manning. She certainly realized how Layla arrived at such an impression. As the days slowly turned into weeks, hers and Todd's interactions were steadily improving. All for Trevor's benefit, she kept reminding herself and why wouldn't it be? If not friendship, his parents deserved to establish some sort of cordial relationship.

 She recalled vividly their first day of mediation as being very intense.

"You and I both know that your request is very unreasonable."

"Unreasonable? How about keeping Trevor a secret for how many years..." It wasn't a question more like a glaring observation on his part.

They sat glaring across the table at each other with the mediator, Carolyn Armstrong in between. Carolyn quietly observed the back and forth only choosing to intervene when necessary.

"I need to be closer to our son and you moving back to Llanview isn't being unreasonable," he stated empathically.

"It's not going to happen Manning so get that silly notion out of that brain of yours..." Evangeline folded her arms and leaned forward on the desk.

Carolyn interjected. "Both of you have been very honest with me regarding your past relationship." She shifted her gaze in Todd's direction. "Mr. Manning do you really want Mrs. Thomas to uproot her life all over again?"

"He just wants to be spiteful - a classic Manning move..." Evangeline sighed in frustration. This was going nowhere. "You know what take me to court, have all our dirty laundry aired for the whole world to see. It's not going to affect us because we will fight until the bitter end but in the long run Trevor will be the one suffering over and over again. You know that to be true."

He briefly thought about it and got that point loud and clear. "I want all the remaining holidays for this year and definitely New Year's. In between Sam, Jack and I will be travelling to Maryland a couple of weekends in the month to visit Trevor. So do we have a deal?"

Evangeline swallowed thinking about Trevor being away for the holidays especially during Christmas. Of course, it might mean another battle with Stephen. The prospect of her marriage facing more turmoil did not sit well. Then again, Todd never got the opportunity to experience Trevor's first couple of Christmases.

"If I agree does that mean we can work out a practical arrangement from here on?"

"Certainly Mrs. Thomas besides I didn't say you couldn't join us on said holidays." Todd eased back in his chair and gave her a sly grin while Evangeline rolled her eyes knowing exactly what he meant.

Carolyn clasped her fingers together and calmly commented, "Ok it seems like some progress is being made. Now it's time to work out some further details."

 

Evangeline was glad they made it through the process without any lingering disagreements. A week later Todd was back at work and whenever possible she took Trevor over to see his dad. This meant having breakfast and lunch over at his office or at Ruby's Café around the corner. In the beginning, they endured some stares and whispers but as the days passed it dissipated for the most part. The anticipated battle with Blair never materialized and she barely saw Vicki since their first encounter. Knowing Todd had a hand in this made her appreciate his efforts even more.

Their conversations flowed easily and it mainly centered on Trevor. Certainly, there were times when Todd drifted off script, a comment here or a slight touch. She either chuckled at his attempts, made sarcastic rebuttals or did her best to ignore his gestures.

"Don't you remember that you never strayed from your marriage with Blair?"

"That was before I recognized what I was missing when you came into my life."

"Even so you still remained committed to your vows and I intend to do the same."

"I promise you before this year is out you'll be divorcing Stephen and marrying me."

 

He had that twinkle in his eyes that alerted her that Todd was up to something.

 

"That comment alone tells me that you are checking into my husband's background..."

"And if I am?"

"Then stop..."

"It's in my best interest ...and yours too."

"This isn't a game Todd!"

"It has never been a game to me! You and our son are the missing pieces in my life. Deep down Evangeline, I know you want our family back together. Stop fighting it..."

 

 

                                                                       ֍֍֍֍

 

Back to the present and the boisterous atmosphere inside the club mixed itself with a certain degree of snootiness as everyone separated into their own clicks. Evangeline's mind drifted to Trevor having his first sleepover with dad and his brothers. Evangeline wasn't sure how Trevor would react but she trusted Todd to reassure him when it came time to do so.

"Hugh Hughes...strange seeing you in a club no less."

Evangeline swiveled her chair around to greet him. Her private area was far enough away from the noise of the crowd milling around the bar and on the dance floor. She was alone, Layla having moved on to mingle with some of her friends.

Hugh regarded the beautiful Mrs. Thomas dressed in a sleeveless purple halter-top dress, minimal makeup and hair styled into a side-swept chignon. He lifted her right hand and placed a chaste kiss on its surface. "A DA needs to take some time off whenever and wherever he finds it. It's great to see an old colleague..."

"Or perhaps you're wondering if the rumors were true. Yes I'm married and also have a son with Todd Manning; story complete." Her dirty martini brushed by her lips before she took a sip.

Hugh took a swig of his scotch, cleared his throat then asked, "Where's Layla?" She noticed his eyes searching but it was hard to locate specific faces during this time of the evening.

"Out and about. Hugh I know you didn't just search me out for a chit chat. What's on your mind?"

"May I?" he gestured at the seat next to her and she acquiesced. "Simply put I want you on my team. You're the best lawyer I know and you have a built up a rapport with the residents."

"Minus the drama right," she chuckled, "Besides Hugh when was the last time you really saw me in a courtroom?"

"I was there when you argued the Goldwyn case." Evangeline's eyes briefly opened wide in disbelief. "The significance of that case meant something to you otherwise you wouldn't have taken it on."

"An obvious case of self-defense even though the prosecutors desperately wanted to send my client to jail for the rest of her life. Of course her reputation didn't help matters much but the jury needed to see beyond that glaring factor."

"A feather in your cap..."

"For the amount of money she paid, I aim to please."

He quickly leaned closer and asked, "How does ADA sound?"

She placed her right leg over her left, with her left palm cradling her chin she said, "Now Hugh you know the title I want most of all."  

"And you'll have it in a few years but you have some decisions to make."

"Returning to Llanview and working as a prosecutor...humph not thrilled with the idea. Defense work has always been my forte. It's where I make the most money and get the greatest satisfaction in winning a difficult case. Hugh, I never thought that I would return to Llanview. This place has left me with bitter memories." She stared into her almost empty glass.

"I believe you were always meant to return. A brilliant attorney as yourself would never allow the past to affect her future."

Obviously, she had allowed it to do so. She just gazed at him with fascination as he arose from his seat. "Llanview is your home. Think about it and please tell Layla I stopped by."

"I will," she replied with a small smile. Hugh was a good catch she supposed but Layla was all business these days. Soon a waiter brought over another dirty martini to replace her now empty glass. Courtesy of Mr. Hughes no doubt.

 

 

                                                                       ֍֍֍֍

 

"Dad this isn't camping," Jack complained looking around the penthouse rooftop. "More like being trapped in the concrete jungle." Referring to the surrounding skyscrapers and the noise from the traffic way down below.

"Well not real camping anyways," Sam concurred.

"Oh come on its not that bad."

Todd held an agitated Trevor in his arms. He was missing his mother and laid his head on Todd's left shoulder. The boys brought along the sleeping bags. 

"Can you imagine dad in an actual forest?" Jack started laughing.

Sam joined his brother in laughter and said, "He'll growl louder than the bears because he wanted to go home."

"Ha...ha...ha very funny. Why don't the both of you go and put down your sleeping bags."

"Dad can I get my phone..."

"Absolutely not. I said no electronic stuff and don't you dare believe that you can sneak off to get them."

"Dad you mean going downstairs," Jack remarked and they started laughing again.

"...Don't mind your brothers, they have lost their imaginations unlike you," he quietly said to a sniffling Trevor as he stroked up and down his back. 

"Hey look at those beautiful stars." Todd pointed his index finger towards the sky. The night sky held a few bright stars but the Llanview lights blocked out most their view.

"Huh..." Trevor's eyes shifted upwards and one bright star caught his interest.

 

Everyone strolled over to an eight-seated table which featured a quartz tabletop. A huge tent stood just a short distance away but Jack and Sam got excited over the flameless marshmallow roaster that sat prominently on the table's surface.

 

 

"Whoa we can make smores," Sam shouted, "Jack look."

Jack was impressed as well. "You did good dad."

Sometimes all it takes is a new device. "You see you shouldn't have doubted me." Trevor pointed in their direction wanting to join his brothers in the fun. "Ok...Ok," Todd chuckled watching him scampering up to them as fast as his little legs could take him. How in the world was he going to say goodbye to his son.

When the time came for them to settle down to sleep, Sam and Trevor were busy roughhousing with dad. Todd perceived he was getting the worst of it with his boys falling, laughing and squealing all over him. Jack remained in his sleeping bag, quietly watching the play a bit jealous of his brothers. The presence of the newest Manning really set his mother off. Blair went so far as to question Trevor's paternity but she never voice these objections to his father which was strange but welcomed. These days he dreaded when his parents got into any sort of disagreement. He had enough of it during his childhood. Now his little brothers were receiving from his father what he wanted all along.

"Go...go...get your...brother."

"No...no." Jack snapped out of his musings as he saw his brothers turned their attentions his direction.  "Dad I'm way too old for this," he protested weakly.

"You're...you're never...never too old," Todd replied a little out of breath.

Sam and Trevor were having a grand time climbing over Jack. He protested at first but soon gave in. Todd laughed at his sons almost bringing the tent down with their play.

"Ok boys I believe your brother has had enough. Trevor come to daddy. Jack help your brother with his sleeping bag."

"Sleepy time daddy," Trevor said as he crawled into his father's waiting arms.

"Yes sleepy time," Todd replied kissing the top of his head. "Now close your eyes...goodnight moon..."

"Goodnight cow jumping moon..."

When Sam was little, Todd often recited the words of the Margaret Brown book to him until he fell asleep. It seemed Evangeline did the same for their son. "Good night light and the red balloon."

"Goodnight bears..."

"Goodnight chairs..."

"Goodnight kittens...yawn."  

"Goodnight mittens..."

"Good...night..."

Soon Todd heard him softly snoring then he too closed his eyes and drifted off to sleep.

 

 

                                                                       ֍֍֍֍

 

Morning and a still sleepy Evangeline found herself strolling into the Layla's bedroom. It felt strange having an evening to herself without caring for Trevor or worrying about him when she did so. She was half-dressed for the day having already showered but unsure of what to wear.

"Morning," Evangeline said as she sat down at the edge of Layla's bed.

"Morning to you too."  

Layla was mostly dressed for her day ahead - navy blue pants with a sleeveless white silk blouse, hair styled in an elegant ponytail. Evangeline gazed at her intently while she twisted from side to side looking at her reflection in the large floor length mirror.

"Why are you staring at me with those gorgeous hues?"

"I'm admiring the most beautiful woman in the world. You have this way about you."

"Do I? And what of yourself? No man compares to how handsome and sexy you are."

"Am I?"

"You know you are."

"It's sounds amazing coming from your sweet mouth..."

 

"Vange? Vange?"

"W-what?" Evangeline massaged the back of her neck. Her body tingling all of a sudden.

"When will you go back to Maryland?"

"Uh soon...soon."

"You keep saying that but I'm not buying it." Layla spun around. "Something is going on and you need to spill the details..."

"Ok I'm having Manny look into Stephen's background," she replied rather quickly.

Layla stared back at her in disbelief. "Your old legal researcher? Why? Is this because of Manning?"

"In a way yes. I know Todd is trying his best to find some dirt on Stephen."

Layla fold her arms. "So you can go running back to him...what a bastard."

"Still I don't want to be caught off guard with any unexpected surprises."

Layla approached the bed and eased into the space alongside Evangeline. "And I can see by the look in your eyes that you believe that Manny has found something."

"I really don't know. Manny said he'll get back to me in a couple of days. I just feel like it's happening all over again but this time I won't lose my heart because of it."  

"Vange I never believed Stephen had any part of your heart to begin with."

"I won't walk away from my marriage because of supposition. Stephen was there for me during a desperate time in my life."

"And you gave him a reward for the being the best man...You wanted Trevor to have a father and if it meant setting aside your true feelings then so be it."

It hurt to hear her call her out on her actions. "Layla...it was the right decision..."

"For whom? Vange you can't love him the way a wife is supposed to love her husband. Why stay in a marriage if you are mentally not there to give it your best. You give your best for everything else. In many ways you're just like mom; only dad's death allowed her to move on when everyone knew the truth."

"I know the truth...," Evangeline steadfastly clarified.

"You may know it but have you ever acted on it.  Sis you deserve happiness for yourself and I say it is time to find yourself a divorce lawyer and end this charade of a marriage. Stephen is not doing it for you even a little."

"Why are you saying this now? I thought you were happy about my marriage. Happy that I moved on with my life."

"But you are not. I'm sorry...," Layla said rubbing her shoulder.

"Don't be." Evangeline let out a deep sigh. "I needed to hear the truth from the one person who always has my back. ...End this marriage," she repeated in a trancelike tone twisting around her wedding rings. "Yeah I think it's time."

Chapter 8 by chocolate470

When Evangeline tried contacting Stephen, he refused to answer any of her calls. After a time her calls conveniently went to voicemail. A week went by and still nothing yet she had no intention of returning to Maryland and speaking to him face to face. No, he was about to force her to go back. Since the communication between them remained non-existent, the next step became contacting Alexie Ellis, a leading divorce attorney who once carried on a practice in Maryland. The two women met some time ago at a Christmas party and were always quite friendly each other whenever they happened to meet. Alexie's busy practice mainly kept them from furthering the friendship.

"I can't get through to him Alex but I can't sit around and wait when so much is at stake. Certainly I would want to file for divorce now if I could but obviously I can't."

"The law is very clear; either live apart for a year or prove that your husband did something contemptible to cause the breakup of the marriage."

"You know what, you never really know a person until you search out who they are and you'll be surprised at the things you may discover."

"Sounds like you have a plan Mrs. Thomas," Alexie offered a small smile then took a quick sip of her tea. "What are you about to "discover"?

"I have Manny looking into my husband's background and he's already giving me hints. I don't want to be in limbo for a year because it won't only be affecting me..."

"I do remember you have a son..."

It gave Evangeline an opportunity to show Alex some cute pics of Trevor taken over the years.

"He is adorable and quite handsome. Todd Manning is his father right?"

"Yeah, how did you know?" They both chuckled at the inference. "Stephen hasn't been involved in his life since the day Trevor was born."

"Understandable but Stephen may want to say otherwise and use it against you during the proceedings. The ball is in your court to provide that necessary evidence."

"And it will be provided; I'm certain of that.  ...Alex can I consider filing for divorce in Llanview? Travelling back and forth to Maryland isn't practical."

"I take it that you don't want to return to Maryland."

"With a couple of deputies to pick up my possessions."

"I need to look into that more deeply but if you insist might as well prepare yourself for a jurisdiction battle."

 

 

֍֍֍֍

Evangeline whistled upon entering Manny's office. "Nice digs Manny. Someone has certainly moved up in the world."

"Well perks do come along for those who are the best."

"With an ego to match as well," she teased.

Manny Flores always impressed her with his eye for detail and organization. The Benjamin Bratt doppelganger found it easy to move upward in his profession and many of the top attorneys sought him out for employment. He finally settled on Taylor & Brown LLP, a prestigious law firm whose offices were located in the heart of downtown Llanview.

"I come bearing your request." She held up a small package.

"Just set it aside I'll get to it later. This is more important."

Whenever Evangeline required his assistance, he became a willing aide because during the one of lowest point in his life, she got him out of a tough jam and gave him a fresh start.

Evangeline eyes gazed across at Manny who opened up a blue folder that contained a file labelled Stephen Thomas.

"A lot of people have skeletons in their closets Manny but is it enough for me to file for a fault grounds divorce."

Filing a fault grounds divorce meant Evangeline would be able to file for divorce without having to wait so many months.

Manny's dark brown eyes twinkled. "Your husband has been arrested more than once for embezzling from his employer...and has a very long history of committing fraud and bilking others out of their hard earned money," Manny stressed. 

Evangeline raised her eyebrows. This information was very promising. "Did he serve any jail time?"

"One year in Florida and another couple in Arizona."

"He never told me any of this. Why?  It's not like I would have held him against him like I want to now."

"If your past relationships were any clue..."

"Ok Manny I get your point...please continue or I may be forced to ship back that In-N-Out burger you've been craving," she said shaking her head.

"Ouch counselor," he winked at her. "He has changed his name a couple of times..."

"What! Say that again!"

"Your husband has been known by a couple other names," he repeated slowly.

"So Stephen Thomas isn't his real name?" Evangeline asked her heart racing. This was very unsettling.

Manny shrugged his shoulders. "It is but he changed back to his original name around four years ago."

"Hmmm..." She thought about it chewing on her bottom lip for a little while. "Then again he may have wanted to come out of the shadows and live his life out in the open; face up to the things that he did wrong."

"Spoken like a true defense attorney," Manny chuckled, "Even if that were true, he should have been honest with you from the start."

"You see why my personal life is so messed up. I already have an explanation on the ready." She placed her left hand underneath her chin and frowned.

"I won't hold it against you," he smiled back at her.

She should have expected this. Over the years, her personal life has certainly taken hit after hit. There was the one man she believed to be real and the other she thought would hold her heart in safekeeping. Then she assumed Stephen to be completely opposite from all the others she attracted - stable, no exes floating around to cause any sort of drama but what was that old saying, still waters run deep.

"I hold it against me though. If my personal life mirrored my professional life then I wouldn't have been in this pickle. Marriage is easy but divorce is harder especially with a child involved."

"Hey don't do that. Take some time out for yourself. Relationships are like a winding maze. This Stephen guy is another frog..."

"More like a big, fat ugly toad that I kissed." They both shared a needed chuckle.

"You want some truth Evangeline?"

"I'm afraid to say it but yeah."

 "- You're still in love with Todd Manning."

His words struck her like a lightning bolt.

"Manny I need to be far away from Todd but I can't because we share a son. I allowed him too much power over my heart and it gave me nothing but misery."

"I would say you have great power over him as well. From time to time, I would see him around Llanview and it seemed he was doing his best to avoid me. Now when has Todd Manning avoided anyone in this lifetime?"

"True. Perhaps we both need therapy." Evangeline rose from her seat scooping up the folder. "- Thanks again Manny now if only you weren't married to such a beautiful and understanding wife along with a couple of kids, we may have worked something out," she jested.

"And have Manning breathing down and wanting to break my neck...no thank you."

 

 

֍֍֍֍

Early Thursday evening and Jack already had plans to sleepover at one his friend's house. His right fingers curled tightly around his bag strap while the other hand held on to his Stowboard as he strolled towards the front door. He barely touched the doorknob when Blair came out of nowhere barraging him with a bunch of questions.

"Mom...stop." He sighed rolling his eyes.

"Don't cop that attitude with me."

"Mom I'm going over to Dave's remember. I'm not going over to dad's honestly. Why does it matter anyway?"

"Because your father and I had a deal."

"But it hasn't mattered before now."

"I have my reasons why you shouldn't be hanging around him so much right now."

Jack recognized the reason why his mother was so on edge. "I enjoy being around Trevor. He's my brother...a Manning."

"And it doesn't bother you the way in which Evangeline handled this situation."

Jack inhaled deeply then exhaled. "I don't care mom and dad doesn't either."

"As for your father, Evangeline has him in a daze as usual. When she's around, Todd becomes numb to anything or anyone else around him. I expected better from you. You know what your sister thinks right. She's on my side."

"She just appeases you," Jack remarked under his breath.

"What did you say?"

"Mom you have got to get over this. Let.this.go. You have a singing career not to mention your own jewelry line. There is so much going on in your life and soon I'll be off to college. Stop talking about dad and my brothers or else I'll go and stay with dad."

Blair's jaw went slack in disbelief. "Is that a threat Jack Manning?"

"Mom I'm just tired of the endless back and forth..."

"After everything you've seen your father put me through...why would you want to take his side..."

"What about me! I can't keep taking care of you when I have my own needs. Sometimes I think my mind is going out of control and I can't even talk to you. Have you ever thought about what I'm going through?" He briefly stared at her but her inaction gave him a clear answer. "You know what forget it." He quickly exited, set his skateboard on the ground and glided away.

Blair didn't bother to yell after him instead she just closed the door. Varying thoughts kept rushing through her mind. It wasn't meant to be this way but it was and what were the possible alternatives now.

 

 

֍֍֍֍

Early afternoon and the sun's rays were creating mini rainbows through parts of the exposed glass window. Todd stood alone in his office, staring at the nearby high rises, hands firmly planted in the pockets of his dark jeans. Vicky requested; he informed Evangeline and both acquiesced to Trevor spending quality time with his cousins Jessica, Bree and Aunt Vicky - family bonding and all that jazz.

Dylan came through big time and at first, he rejoiced over the salacious details. The enthusiasm quickly faded when he learnt the whole truth. He immediately threw Dylan out of his office. Of course, it wasn't D's fault; he performed exceptionally and would receive a huge payday for his efforts. The rage boiled over to the point when he thought about trashing his office but decided to schedule a last minute sparring session with Pinksy down at the gym.

"I'm here Todd. I can only guess why I've been called to meet you urgently," Evangeline said, bursting through the doors. "If it's about my soon to be ex, I've already discovered that the bastard was deceiving me from the day we met."

"You know?" he asked rather quietly without turning around. He was rocking back and forth taking in deep breaths.

"Yeah I know," she replied plopping down on the sofa. "From embezzling, to prison and to top it all off changing his name and identify throughout the years but lucky me I got him when he decided to see the "light".

"Evangeline..."

She looked lovely dressed casually in skinny, dark blue designer jeans, green blouse and black ankle boots. The simple ponytail only added to her appeal. He was more than a little distracted to say the least.

"No Todd there was no way I would have allowed you to surprise me again. I've had my share of surprises from you. In a way part of your wish is coming through because Trevor and I are moving back to Llanview." Evangeline finally took a breath and noticed. "Hey what's wrong with the right side of your face? Todd did you get into a fight." Her tone a mixture of concern and "here we go again".

"No...no I did a little boxing at the gym and I guess it got a little intense but I needed it. Believe when I say that I needed it," he sighed taking a seat next to her and leaning back.

She obeserved the bruising on his knuckles and thought he may just be telling the truth after all. She leaned in closer and her left hand instinctively went to his face. "What's going on? Why did you want be to come over so urgently?" She asked concern etched on her features.

"I just need you to come with me right now." His blue eyes latched onto hers conveying a silent message.

"Why?"

"I know it's hard for you to do considering... trust me." He stretched out his right hand. Her eyes stared down at his open palm. There was all sort of emotions stirring through her and questions bombarding her mind.

"Trusting you Todd...why can't you tell me right now?"

"I need to show you as well then everything will be revealed. I promise you..."

"You promise me huh now where have I heard that before," she scoffed.

"Come on Evangeline let's not do this now. I'm trying my best not to explode and remain focus."

"It's that horrible?"

"Either you come with me or you don't but I won't say anything else."

"This better me worth my while," she remarked while placing her hand in his.

Fingers interlaced naturally as he assisted her to her feet. They briefly regarded each other as a sense of nostalgia came over them.

Chapter 9 by chocolate470

Physically Todd's entire being ached from head to toe. Mentally Dylan's findings hardly did much to inflate his psyche. At first glance, he believed everything was coming together perfectly. Stephen was the bastard he believed him to be. No way, Evangeline would just shrug off the evidence presented but as he continued, it appeared he too might be an unwitting casualty of the fallout yet to come. The best laid plans...huh.

In Evangeline's case though, it was as if she was running on empty. There was too much going on at one time. Everything seemed to be coming all at once. The matter of the impending divorce, having to leave one's home to reestablish herself once again in a place she desperately wanted to forget. Life can be funny that way but certainly, it was no laughing matter. She felt forced back into Todd's trajectory through no fault of her own. As always, Layla kept a keen eye on her shifting mood and worried about the mental strain it may be causing. She skillfully explained to her that this time around everything is under control. She didn't have time for self-pity especially with Trevor to consider. It was truly a wonder that her mother hadn't called or descended upon Llanview but happily she journeyed a world away on a long anticipated European cruise. 

 

 

֍֍֍֍

 

Todd remained far too quiet during the drive, sitting stoically, seemingly lost in his own thoughts. Her eyes shifted downward and took notice of his heavily bruised right knuckle. It must have been quite a sparring session. She imagined the various bruises that may lay beneath. It unnerved her to see him hurt which in turn confused her a great deal knowing the depth of the hurt he inflicted upon her.

"You should be ecstatic," she commented in a nondescript manner.

"And what good would that do for me," he replied not gazing in her direction. "We're still not together and may never be." Those last words struck her. He continued, "I've come to realize how much my life has inflicted deep wounds upon yours."

"Don't give me that crap," she lashed out at him. "You think I was naïve enough not to know what I was getting myself into when I chose to be with you especially with your crazy ass ex-wife hovering around like an insatiable vulture." Todd held his head down absorbing her words. "What I expected better from was you. ...You made me feel wanted, appreciated and all I had to give was love and nothing else. I gave it to you. I gave it all to you..." For the first time she cracked up. There were times she just wanted to shake him. He didn't get it. He just didn't get it.

"I chose Blair because it was safe. Our love...our future together scared the hell out of me. I-I can't explain it." He began squeezing his palms together hardly reflecting on the renewed pain. He finally gazed up at her. "I wanted to give you everything but you needed nothing..."

"I needed you!"

"And I'm great at sabotaging anything good that comes into my life. Look at what I did to my kids. Look at what I did to us..." She saw the immense sorrow in his eyes. "That Todd Manning back then would have hurt you in the long run. I didn't want that for my best friend. For my soul..."

He reached out to her but she abruptly turned away from him, leaning her face heavily into her right palm. She hated him yet realized how much she loved him still. It shouldn't be this way. Why did love have to be this difficult; cause so much upheaval? Why did love have to hurt so much? It had strained her; brought her down to her knees but because of that bundle of joy they created together, she was able to rise. I've survived and will continue to do so.

He leaned back and sighed. Here he was hurting her all over again try as he might not to do so. He was so unsure of how to go about fixing the situation, what to say to comfort her. Did she need his comfort anymore? For him there was no seeking out anyone's advice to fix this mess. He never loved another woman the way he loves her but he has always allowed his persona to get in the way of what made common sense - a roadblock to certain happiness. Did he despise himself so much that it meant remaining in misery for the rest of his days?

Suddenly the SUV came to a complete stop. They were no longer in the Llanview, this area so unfamiliar to her. "Where are we?"

"West Chester..."

West Chester laid around ten miles away from the center of Llanview. Todd immediately jumped out from his side of the SUV, ran over to her side and assisted her out. Her eyes immediately fell on the ongoing construction of the Mediterranean styled home evidenced by the building materials scattered around the yard.

"Whose house is this?"

"You like it?"

"I have to admit that it's going to be amazing once completed." From the architectural design to the shaping landscapes, it impressed her a great deal. Why bring her all the way out here.

"It has a huge backyard as well," he said in an even tone.

His words took her back to that conversation they had years ago. Then it dawned on her. "It's yours..."

Todd pushed his hands into his pockets and reflected on the scenery. "In the beginning, I considered it as ours and when we weren't together again I halted construction. Recently I decided to make it into a home for me and the kids. Now that Trevor is here, I think it's time for a change."

"Is this why you've brought me here?"

"Actually no...there is something more important I need to show you."

Todd proceeded onward and Evangeline dutifully followed behind. She discerned the presence of others somewhere lurking in the shadows. Once they stepped through the front door, Evangeline's eyes wandered across the unfinished partitions rising and falling before her. Although divested of furnishings, the detailed designs caught her attention - the upstairs sure to feature bedrooms for the kids. She recalled Todd talking about how excited Jack and Sam were about getting to know their little brother. She strayed off into what she believed to be the living room where she saw the makings of a stone fireplace and the archways leading outside perhaps a Tuscany type design.

"Evangeline!" Todd's mind too wired to focus on anything else. "Come on..."

"Ok...I'm coming."   

 

 

֍֍֍֍

 

She kept up as best as she could while Todd strolled quickly passed the unfinished rooms. When they came to the last door, her eyes caught sight of two men dressed in dark clothing, waiting. Her heart rate shot up.

"Todd what are you doing?" Was he dragging her back down into his seedier world once again? She didn't want any part of this.

Before she could turn back around, "Evangeline you need to be here. These guys are part of my security team. Trust me..."

She quickly nodded her head and swallowed still unsure of what might come next.

One of the men opened the door. Like elsewhere it stood as another room undergoing construction with dust and materials scattered around. Evangeline grabbed her chest tightly taking in a sharp breath when her eyes landed on her soon to be ex-husband crumpled in a corner of the room. He appeared very battered and bruised. She grabbed a t ight hold of Todd's forearm.

"Stephen..." Her wide eyes turned towards Todd. "Why did you do this to him? Todd you shouldn't have done this!"

"And you shouldn't waste your pity on that piece of shit besides I gave the bastard a fair shot at me but he's all bark and no bite. That slime ball over there set you up!"

"Set... me...up? How..." A weight fell on her heart and her breathing became ragged. She looked into Stephen's eyes and saw the cold, immediate truth. Their whole life together was a complete lie. "No...no..." Her palms covered her slackened jaw as panic started to set in.

"He received a hefty chunk of change for his service but of course the proceeds were under an assumed name. We all know how clever you are at those pursuits," Todd seethed.

For a brief moment, she went numb then her body became consumed with rage. Evangeline snapped back to reality; took off her wedding rings and threw them at him. "Who paid you? Was it worth it Judas?" she barked at him. "I'm really screwed up for believing all your lies of wanting to be with me and raise Trevor."

"Ha ha ha...you, you lied to yourself. Todd Manning was always going to be there between us, don't believe yourself so innocent sweetheart. So who was playing who?"

"Shut Up Stevie boy or I might forget,,."

"Todd don't...that piece of garbage over there isn't worth it anymore." When Stephen scoffed, Evangeline seriously wanted to take up a piece of stick and continue the beating. "Get him away! Just get him away!"

Todd banged on the wall. Two men quickly entered and began dragging away Stephen who howled in obvious agony and fervently complained about needing a doctor. His constant whining sent Evangeline over the edge. She quickly grabbed a piece of discarded lumber and commenced thrashing Stephen. The men left her to it and for the time, it felt good getting out some of her pent up frustrations. Todd stood by quietly speculating if Stephen was receiving a beating for all the hurts Evangeline had endured at the hands of men who came in and out of her life. One last sigh and Stephen went unconscious, that was enough for Evangeline.

She hastily removed her ponytail, raking her fingers through her hair. She was thinking and pacing at the same time.

"She did this didn't she? Look at me Todd! That crazy ex-wife of yours went to all this trouble. ...How could I have been so naïve to believe that she would leave me alone? Where is she? Bring her now!"

Todd banged the wall two times and instantly an indignant Blair appeared.

"Oh so I see, I'm to be brought before the Ms. High & Mighty..."

"You..."

Todd blocked Evangeline's determined path. There was murderous rage in those dark brown eyes. Over the years, he had ample run-ins with Blair and didn't want his Angel going down that dark pathway.

"Evangeline don't..."

"No Todd, I won't back down from this. She made me waste my life, our son's emotional wellbeing because of her mental issues about us."

Arms tightly folded, Blair leaned forward and with a smug look on her face said, "He should check that...."

Evangeline understood the insinuation quite perfectly. She launched at and caught a fistful of Blair's hair. She was trying her best to get around Todd as Blair screamed out in pain, her arms flailing around. "Get that witch off me! Todd get her off me!"

Todd was having little success against a determined Evangeline. Soon the unexpected ringing of her cell from her discarded bag halted her actions. She didn't think twice about picking up the call, brushing off the clumps of blonde hairs within her grasp.

 

"Look at what she did to my hair! My face!"

"Shut up Blair. Enough!"

 

 

"Hey Evangeline someone wants to talk to you," Jessica remarked from the other end of the line.

"Mommy ok?"

Just hearing Trevor's voice calmed her down considerably. She took let out a breath "Yes mommy is ok," she smiled. "How are you? What are you doing?" she asked as she secured her purse. She walked out of the room taking that time to concentrate on the true happiness in her life.

 

 

֍֍֍֍

 

"Todd I'm getting tired of you taking her side..."

Todd raked a palm over his face. "Don't play this shit with me. You know exactly what you've done!"

"Todd whatever you believe...." Both Blair's eyes and voice pleaded but Todd wasn't having any of it.

"You did it all," he began moving towards her. "You knew it all and you made Evangeline and our son suffer because of your delusions about us being together. ...I believe it's time for you to take some time away, get back some focus in your life.."

"Todd what are you talking about? You're scaring me...," she readily admitted taking a few steps back.

"You ought to be scared. Consider yourself lucky that you are the mother of my kids... For the next few years say goodbye to life as you know it. Every year you kept me away from my true family is the time you are going to spend in St. Ann's. Say hi to your mother."

Blair sank to the floor holding both sides of her face, tears streaming down her face. Todd stared down at her wondering what he ever saw in her except the darkness and manipulative natures that connected them. The hurt, anger, disgust, shame, malice; it is a wonder that two beautiful children sprung out of such depravity.

"You can't do this. You just can't do this." She sniffled. "You can't take me away from my kids, my home, my life..."

"Your singing career, your business deals," Todd continued mockingly. "Oh yes I can. It's already done," he said calmly with mirth in his tone.

"I hate you! I hate you! I HATE YOU!"

"At last." He sank down next to her and whispered by her ear, "Evangeline is and will forever be the love of my life..."

Blair began pounding at him like a mad woman, using whatever strength she still possessed to punch and claw into him. She did everything for him and their family and all he wanted to do was run after that whore. Finally, Todd pushed her aside like a piece of ragdoll. 

"This is not over Todd!"

 

 

֍֍֍֍

 

Evangeline awoke up with a start. Where am I? She asked herself in a panicked state. The glare from the living room lights briefly blurred her vision as she opened her eyes. She was trying to get her bearings while surveying her immediate surroundings. Todd's penthouse but why, how?

"I didn't want to wake you." She heard his voice and spun around to see him gazing nervously at her. "I found you sound asleep in one of the rooms and decided it best to bring you here."

"Thanks..." She stared down at the blanket draping half her body.

"Are you alright?"

"Yeah I guess my body really needed a rest. Where's Trevor, what time is it?" She asked rubbing her palms over her face.

"Trevor is upstairs asleep..."

"Upstairs asleep?"

"Yeah you've been asleep for quite a few hours. Don't worry Layla knows you're here. She might not be particularly happy about it but understands you were in no shape for her to drag you out of here," he chuckled while rising to his feet.

"Where are you going?"

"To get you something to eat..."

"Ok..."

 

She jumped off the couch and made a beeline for the bathroom. Once inside she did her best to straighten out her disheveled features by washing her face, combing her hair and freshening her breath. She sighed at her cracked and broken nails. An appointment in the morning more than necessary.

Next stop, upstairs to check-in on Trevor. She was grateful he was young and oblivious to mayhem swirling around his parents. Todd was never going to be the quintessential father but his mother had her own share of faults. As he grew there was bound to be many questions.

"Hopefully your parents make better decisions from here on," she said kissing his forehead.

 

♥♥♥♥♥

By the time she returned downstairs, she found Todd waiting with a couple of beers and sandwiches. They sat side by side on the stairs eating rather quietly with Evangeline indulging in a fair amount of the ham sandwiches. It was clear Blair and Stephen weren't on the agenda; it was about them. More about that conversation that began earlier in the vehicle and never truly ended.

"Where do we go from here right," Todd remarked taking a swig of his beer.

He didn't want to say much afterwards, affecting whatever chance they may have of moving forward. They expressed so much during that car ride that he now believed that this part was merely the conclusion of the long overdue conversation.  

"You can't forgive me no more than I can forgive myself but that doesn't mean that I won't fight for our future. There's so much at stake..."

"I know. I've forgiven you a long time ago Todd but I've never forgotten..."

 

 

He turned to her with tears in his eyes. "What can I do to make this right? I'll do anything...anything," he stressed. He slid his fingers in between hers and held it there.

"I love you," she said without hesitation. No matter how much distance stood between them, the love remained an immovable force.

"I love you too. I love you so damn much."

He felt this huge burden suddenly lifting. The life and family he yearned for was within reach. Instantly he pulled her into his embrace. She saw it too. Seeing that house brought everything into focus.

She gazed up at him with a twinkle in her eyes. "Don't ever get on my bad side..."

"I'm well aware of the consequences."

His lips covered hers in a crushing, bruising kiss. Their tongues dueled inside of the other's mouth twisting, curving, and pleasuring without end. The long absence making them enjoy the taste, feel and wanting more.

This was only the first step. Tomorrow brought along its own set of issues including resistance from those around them.

"How about we go upstairs," he said kissing the side of her lips.

"Hold on Manning we're not at that stage yet. You have much work to do to earn back this taste of honey," she whispered slyly by his ear. Todd chuckled aloud. Spending time in her arms was best for now but he'll find a way to end this penance. 

End Notes:

Sorry I took so long guys but I haven't been feeling well lately and it has been affecting me writing this story. I believe I have one more chapter in me. Thanks so much for your support of this story!

Chapter 10 by chocolate470

Early morning and his once blissful sleep rudely interrupted by two whacks on the cheek by tiny palms. Definitely, Trevor's wakeup call.

"Wake up daddy! Wake Up!"

Before he received another smack, Todd popped opened his eyes and lifted a giggling Trevor high in the air. "Who told you to wake up daddy?" Todd playfully asked while twisting him from side to side.

"I did," Evangeline responded after drawing aside the drapes. It somewhat surprised him to see her already dressed but before he could comment Evangeline remarked, "Breakfast is waiting downstairs. I couldn't allow your kids to go off with just cereal."

A wry smile plastered on his face. "Hey what's wrong with cereal? It has a lot of health benefits."

"Compared to pancakes, eggs and sausage...not much," she rebutted.

"Spoken like the beautiful, exquisite mother you are," he said with that added tone in his voice causing her cheeks to become warm.

"Come Trevor your father needs to take his bathroom break."

"Yeah I need to freshen up. Your mom owes me some kisses for leaving my arms so early," Todd remarked as he jumped out of bed. Evangeline's eyes roved over his torso. "You are going to join me for breakfast right. I hope you don't expect me to eat alone."

"Of course not," she replied absentmindedly.

Todd chuckled, "Enjoying what you see..."

"I see you've kept yourself in pretty good shape. I'll give you that."

"All for you baby."

"Better be...," she winked at him.

 

♥♥♥♥♥

"Now this..." Todd was chewing and wanted badly to express how much he was enjoying the surprise breakfast treat. "More than delicious...hmm...hmmm. I knew I was missing out..."

"Todd for the time being I'm not going to stay here."

That pronouncement came out of nowhere and it sure put a damper on Todd's mood. He suddenly became quiet but kept on eating - no use wasting a great breakfast. Evangeline briefly distracted herself by wiping Trevor's mouth smeared with maple syrup.

"I get it Evangeline..." He suddenly pushed himself away from the table and abruptly rose from his seat.

"Hear me out Todd Manning," Evangeline vehemently instructed.

"Ok I'm listening..." Todd folded his arms and leaned against the kitchen counter.

"I will never feel or be comfortable in the penthouse and we both know why. I want to take on the responsibility of finishing the house," she said as she approached him. "That will be our home. The place where we raise our family."

A smile returned to his face as he took her hands into his. "Ok I get it now." He leaned over placing a sweet kiss on her lips. Trevor squealed his approval. "You should know that I'm in the process of selling the Sun."

"Stop playing Manning," Evangeline said swatting his arm.

"Seriously the newspaper biz doesn't do it for me anymore."

"But the Sun has been a huge part of your life for so long."

"And that shouldn't be. From now on you and the kids will play that part." He caressed her cheek. "Don't worry..."

Evangeline caught a glimpse of Trevor. "Trevor Manning just look at you." He was giggling, his head dripping with maple syrup. She shot Todd a look when he started to giggle as well then a sly smile crossed her lips.

"Hey it's funny..."

"Then you'll take care of this Manning."

"Hold on Evangeline..."

"Like father, like son but this time around mommy is not doing the cleanup. You owe me and you do need to earn yourself back into my good graces after all." She placed a chaste kiss on his lips, patted his chest then calmly strolled away.

He had affectedly lost the argument but he enjoyed the view of her swaying hips.

"You see now we're both in trouble," he said playfully lifting Trevor from his high chair.   

 

֍֍֍֍

 

As the days then weeks floated by, the house as well as their relationship progressed except that Todd still wasn't getting any ‘honey'. They spent a great deal of time rebuilding the trust that once encapsulating their lives. They also took care of the emotional strength of their burgeoning family dynamic. Now that they were starting to come together, the boys were thriving. It certainly wasn't easy, detractors and naysayers abounded which ended up creating an us against the world mentality. Both had been in this position before and believed if the relationship failed again it wouldn't be because of outside distractions.

 

֍֍֍֍

 

When Starr arrived at his office one day, Todd knew he was in for a verbal tongue-lashing. Not only had her mother been deposited at St. Ann's but he also took over full custody of Jack who gladly went along with the idea.

"How could you do this to mom?" It came as a screaming question.

"Don't push aside what she has done to me, Evangeline and your little brother!"

Starr folded her arms and coldly said with a sneer, "Oh your precious Evangeline..."

Todd's face flushed with anger but he decided it best to move away before he said or did something he would later regret. His little short man was little no more. The daughter who always stood in his corner was there no more. Now to see her completely take her mother's side ached his heart. He slumped into his executive chair and twisted away.

"Don't you want dad happy?"

"And you...how could you turn your back on mom..."

"She turned her back on us a long time ago..."

Starr pointed an accusatory index finger at him. "How dare you say that?"

"I can and I will say that. I'm tired of worrying about dad and mom's "relationship" and you should be too. We can never move on with our own lives if we are constantly being pulled into a dead dream of something that hasn't been for a long time."

"Blame dad!"

"Blame mom too. Evangeline makes dad happy and I see it every time they are together."

"And dad is making mom miserable by throwing her into that nuthouse! And here he is getting rid of the Sun for some unknown reason. I think he should be the one locked away..."

It was happening again, his children fighting their battle. In the past, they both allowed it to go on and on with both parents guilty of pitting one against the other or coxing them over to their side.

"Enough of this." A more introspective Todd returned to the fray. "Obviously your sister isn't going to listen to us and I don't want you to think any less of her because of it."

Starr clapped mockingly.

It was obvious to Jack that Todd wanted him to leave. "Dad..."

"No son..." Todd put an arm across his shoulder and steered him towards the door. "I'll be alright."

Before he left he gazed over at his sister and said, "Starr stop fighting mom's battles."

"If I don't then who will."

Jack shook his head, throwing his hands in the air then exited.

Todd turned to her. "I believe there's nothing more left for us to talk about. Evangeline is it for me and I don't need your damn permission to make it so. Like it or not Trevor is your brother."

"Evangeline just shows up and you accept everything she says and you throw mom under the bus. Mom has always been there for you..."

"Has she really?" His mind immediately went back to that day when he died and she wasn't anywhere around. During that moment, it became abundantly clear what Evangeline meant to him. "Leave."

"What?"

"Just go..."

"You're not my father...not anymore." She spun around and bolting through the door.

"You will always be my daughter. No circumstance will ever change my love for you."

 

 

During her hasty departure, Starr stumbled into Evangeline. "Speak of the devil and she appears."

"If you feel that way Starr then that's your prerogative but don't interfere with my family because I will make it my business to deal with you accordingly."

"You don't scare me."

"Try me little girl."

Starr huffed her disgust, flipped her hair then walked off.

 

Evangeline carefully entered Todd's office gripping her purse while her eyes perused the landscape. She exhaled a sigh of relief - nothing broken or thrown around. Soon she caught sight of Todd. He sat on the couch, eyes downcast, shoulders slumped, and his face tinted a light red hue. Clearly, it had been a very heated exchange between the two.

 

"Hey Babe."

He gazed up at her. "Hey Sweetie. Where's Trev?" He tried his best but his voice couldn't masked the lingering disappointment. The look in his eyes said as much.

"He's with his brother. Those two have formed quite a bond. I saw Starr just now..."

"Oh..." He shrank back against the couch. "Please don't ask..."

"I wasn't about to. I can guess what went on." She straddled his lap and her arms encircled his neck. "Now aren't you feeling a little better?"

His lips curved into a smile. He caressed along her arms. "Much but you are such a tease."

"It will be worth the wait." She pressed their foreheads together. "Starr will always love you. She's hurting and really confused. She believes that I'm the one putting a huge wedge between her parents." When Todd attempted to speak, she silenced him with a kiss. "She's a Manning so that's not subject to change until she wants it to."

"Was that a smart comment?" He tickled her and thereafter kissed her neck. She sensed the rise of his manhood and her own need for him but now wasn't the right time.

"Down boy..."

But Todd held onto her. "Don't go yet," he whispered placing soft kisses all over her face. He enjoyed her scent and the feel of her skin beneath his fingertips. "You are doing wonders for my mood. Haven't I been a very good boy? Shockingly patient."

"Shockingly," she repeated in breathy tone. "You've really impressed me."

"Aren't good boys supposed to be rewarded?" His hands moved beneath her blouse, caressing her soft skin then drifting upwards as their lips collided in a passionate kiss.

"Todd...hmmm... we can't...not here...huh...the door..."

"I can take care of that just..."

"Dad...Evangeline!"

Both jumped away from each other. A deeply embarrassed Evangeline smoothed down her blouse. The appearance of his sons became the cold shower for his libido. 

"Trevor and I have been scarred for life," he yelled out while shielding his brother's eyes.

"Oh stop you didn't see much."

"Enough to give me nightmares," Jack teased.

"Nothing that some video games and pizza can't take care of," Todd remarked cheekily as he assisted Evangeline to her feet. "Do we have a deal?"

"Throw in some ice cream and we certainly do."

"Ok then. Let's go get your brother and make a night of it."

 

Jack welcomed this new family dynamic. He truly saw how Evangeline really cared for "her men" as she referred to them. Sam confided and speculated how she would feel if he called her mom. He really didn't know how to respond to his brother who has never seen or experienced the love of a mother. He supposed she would think nothing of it considering Sam's situation.  Evangeline and Trevor's presence in their lives has certainly brought about a refreshing change. A joy into their lives beyond his imagination. He always wanted it to be this way and wouldn't change it for the world even if his sister chose not to be a part of it.  

 

 

֍֍֍֍

 

Later on that night, a nervous Evangeline finally made an appearance out of the master bathroom. That apprehensiveness travelled from her sweaty palms down to her bare feet. She hadn't the slightest idea why she was feeling so uneasy. Perhaps she was afraid that their time apart might have taken away from their once strong connection. She gazed around the room. The flames from the scented candles glowed through the darkness while soft, mellow music romanticized the atmosphere.

Looking back her nonexistent marriage lacked not only love but also that heightened pleasure of being with the person you love. Tonight she again perceived the possibilities of reconnecting with her soul. A bare chested Todd sat up in bed with his back pressed against the headboard. Her eyes regarded every inch of exposed skin and a warmth pooled around her center. He appeared to be distracted tough and it wasn't because of the sexy black and grey lingerie she wore. 

"Todd..." She slid into the bed next to him placing her right palm on his chest. "Baby what's on your mind?"

"You..." He began stroking along the length of her loose strands then fingers lightly traced her face. "You are most beautiful, amazing."

"And so are you my love," she smiled staring adoringly into his eyes.

"I've wanted this, you for so long that sometimes I felt my heart couldn't take it. There's something I need to do that I can't put off any longer."

"Todd what..." Todd silenced her by pressing an index finger to her lips.

Suddenly he produced a red velvet box. Evangeline's heart rate shot up. Could it be? Simultaneously tears formed in their eyes. The moment became so surreal, wonderful. Her eyes switched between gazing at Todd and the box. A range of emotions flowed between the two; at times anxious mixed with a growing excitement. A weird tension hung in the air as to what may happen next. Before long unsteady fingers opened the box to reveal a heart shaped, pink diamond engagement ring.

 

 

 

"So beautiful...," she sniffled.

"Evangeline Williamson I love you. My heart has been and will forever be yours. Will you marry me and make me the happiest man..."

"Yes!" she grabbed his face kissing him hard. "Put it on...put it on...put it on..." Her fingers were a little shaky as well and tears flowed down her cheeks as Todd slid the ring on her finger. It fit perfectly. "This is really happening..." She had wanted this from the moment they became official. That's why his marriage to Blair ripped her heart apart.

"Yeah," he replied with laughter wiping away her tears. "I was made for you and you were made for me."

Evangeline laughed at his attempt at singing. "I love you so much Mr. Manning."

"I love you too Mrs. Manning."

"Mrs. Manning has a certain ring to it." She stretched out her hand admiring the ring and the way in which it sparkled.

Todd slowly removed her negligee admiring every swell and curve that came into view.

He sucked down hard on her neck. "Huh..." her voice hitched as a cool breeze hit upon the heat of her skin.

"Forgive me," he whispered in a low sensual tone. "I doubt I can wait any longer." A haze came into his eyes changing it to a deeper7 shade of blue.

"Neither can I," she replied pulling his body towards hers.

 

Chapter 11 by chocolate470

Light feathery kisses peppered the right side of her face all the way down to her bare shoulder. Her eyes immediately fluttered open. She smile to herself reminiscing about a night not too easily forgotten. He brought her to unexpected heights almost to the point of breaking. Her entire body ached specifically her back and thighs. Her swollen lips, disheveled hair were a visible reminder and she was beginning to endure the inevitable pain from those love bruises that lay from her neck down to her breasts.

"Hmmm..." She stretched out her arms and upper body. "I don't think I have the strength," she muttered scratching her wild mane.

"Frankly neither do I. Would you believe I gave you all that I had built up inside of me."

Evangeline chuckled at the revelation. After the way he behaved last night, she hardly expected to hear those words. "I guess I now know that I did satisfy."

"Always have," he replied placing a soft kiss on her cheek while stroking along her arm. "And I can ask the same of you."

"Completely..." Then it occurred to her. "What time is it?" she asked scrambling out of the bed grabbing one of his robes that lay across the bed.

"Almost 8..." The brief sight of her nakedness stirred him anew. He groaned when she secured the robe's straps.

A startled Evangeline clasped her forehead then remarked, "Oh my goodness Trevor..."

"Calm down Sweetheart. Papa Manning has taken care things," he informed her more than a little proud of himself. "Right now he's downstairs hanging out with Allison." Evangeline immediately relaxed letting out a sigh of relief. Allison has been Todd's housekeeper for quite a few years. Still she was a little miffed at herself. After all as a mother, her thoughts should be of her son.

"I'm really appreciative but..."

"No buts," he stated. "I'm his parent too and I consider it very much a privilege to be able to take care of him as well."

"Ok you're right."

 "I know I am," he replied in a wry tone then strolled over to her. "I wanted to check in on my sexy fiancée."

"Fiancée," she repeated happily gazing at her ring. She thought that her upcoming nuptials was certain to send tongues wagging but it didn't bother her. After all she and Trevor endured, they deserved peace and happiness. Life was too short to put things off for another moment.

He took a hold of her left hand and kissed it with those intense hues gazing at her. "I also made sure to prepare a warm bath for my lady love."

She smiled at him. "You thought of everything."

This was the side of him that she missed the most. He always knew how to make her feel cherished, extra special unlike any other man before or since. He revealed those parts to her that he wouldn't dare share with anyone else except those closest to him.

"I aim to continue pleasing you in every which way," he said then his tone changed. "Evangeline I took our love for granted before but now that you've given me another chance, I promise to love and take care of you and our son."

"Hold on Baby mama needs to take care of her needs before..."

He didn't care instead pulling her into his embrace, kissing her sweetly. "I love you more morning breath and all," he had to add.

"Shut up," she playfully smacked his arm. "I love you too Baby."

He spun her around and smacked her bottom. "Hey," she squealed rubbing the spot. It caught her a bit off guard and she peaked over her shoulder only to receive a wink.

"When you're ready breakfast is waiting..."

 

 

"So you're going to leave me all alone," she remarked in a sultry tone. Her little aches didn't matter as much not with such a hot and handsome fiancé standing in front of her. Her body began to tingle.  "There are certain parts of me that are very hard to reach..."

 

Evangeline giggled when Todd quickly scooped her up into his arms and raced into the bathroom.

 

֍֍֍֍

Todd booked a private dining area at Mica's for himself, Evangeline and their two invited guests. A bottle of champagne was chilling in a bucket beside their table and for the moment both took pleasure in having the room all to themselves.

"Soon someone will come," Evangeline remarked in between kisses running her fingers through his silky hair.

"Let them," he replied caressing the back of her neck. "Are you worried?"

"Far from it. Truth be told I don't care much for your sister." Evangeline sighed instantly killing the mood. "I know what Vicki thinks about me. She can be very condescending with her comments."

"Sweetheart she's just being protective of her little brother."

Evangeline countered, "She wants you with Blair. Blair could have you burning at the stake and she would still mount a defense for you two staying together."

Todd laughed at the scenario. "Heck I'm also sure that Layla hates my guts."

"No she doesn't. It's the things you do that sometimes get in the way. ...As long as I'm happy, she'll support us."

"Ditto for Vicki."

‘Enough about them," he said drawing their lips together.

"Ahem..." Of course Vicki was first to arrive. "Todd what is this all about?"

"I would certainly like to know as well," said Layla who came in behind her. "I hope you didn't invite me to dinner to see your make out session with Todd."

Evangeline answered, "We actually have two announcements..."

"First we are moving into a brand new home..."

"And you're getting married," a surprised Layla blurted out. There was no mistaken that exquisite diamond ring on Evangeline's ring finger.

"No way..." Now Todd was surprised that Vicki knew the phrase. Both women promptly seated themselves. "Todd you asked her so soon?"

"And Vange you accepted?"

"Look we didn't ask you out to dinner to hear your critiques. This is happening whether you want it to or not."

"Vange you seemed to forget what happened the last time you chose Mr. Wonderful."

Evangeline stroked Todd's hand and their fingers intertwined. "I haven't forgotten but I know for sure that this time around things are different,' she emphasized.

They regarded each other. "There's nothing I wouldn't do for Evangeline and our son. I've learned that being without them isn't an option anymore."

"I just feel like this is all so sudden," Vicki said shaking her head.

Evangeline threw her hands up. "There you go Vicki tell us how you really feel."

"Don't you see she believes that you are too good for her brother? Blair is more his speed..."

"Is that true?" He didn't understand that rationale or why he never thought about it that way.

"Layla!"

"No Vicki you need to stop. Bottom line is that I love Evangeline with all my heart and there is no way on God's green earth that I'm letting her go after she's given me another chance. I have a heart sis," he said smacking his chest.

"I know that Todd."

"Then be happy for me and the woman I love; the family we have created out of that love."

"Be happy for me too Layla. I adore Todd Manning and the future we are creating. I need my sister's support." Evangeline reached out her hand and Layla accepted.

"Alright I'm game." Layla relented. "I believe you need to pop that cork brother-in-law."

"Ok then," Vicki agreed.

"There's another thing..."

"Another thing?" Vicki and Layla questioned at the same time.

"We're getting married tonight."

Vicki quickly snatched the champagne bottle away from Todd, taking a sizable gulp. "I believe I'm ready for anything now."

"Mom is not going to like this," Layla chimed in taking a sip of her champagne.

"But we do..."

"And I concur wholeheartedly."

 

֍֍֍֍

The rather simple affair still had all the appearances of a well put together upscale wedding. With such short notice, the gathering featured a sparse crowd. On the groom's side Vicki came along with his niece Jessica and her daughter Bree. Evangeline's side was even smaller with only Layla and a couple of her close friends. The children were present with the glaring exception of Starr; Todd decided it best not to invite her. They recited traditional vows and the wedding song was If I Aint Got You by Alicia Keys.

 

 

♥♥♥♥♥

One more photo of the radiant bride and groom. That's it...That's it...Gorgeous. ...I believe we are finished here.

 

 

"Mrs. Manning..."

"Mr. Manning..."

Both laughed at their pronouncement after which their lips indulged in a passionate kiss. It felt wonderful to take a breath and have this moment alone cuddling, kissing and whispering words of love.

"From the moment I saw my gorgeous bride walking down that aisle, I knew all I've ever dreamed and hoped for came true. You almost took my breath away."

Their hands clasped together. "Just seeing you standing there with your handsome self - staring so intently at me...Baby I really adore your eyes. They say so much without any words being spoken. I believe my heart did skip a beat a few times. There was so much love..." He silently caressed her face and his eyes told her much. "I understand that you wanted..."

"Hey tonight is a celebration and I want to concentrate on my beautiful wife. I'm tired Sweetheart...so tired of reflecting on the past. With or without her presence, we are moving forward with our lives."

"I know Baby," Evangeline responded linking their foreheads together. "Come on we need to get back.

"Only to say goodbye because I've got plans that just (kissed her cheek) can't wait (kissed her neck)" At the same time his hands were moving beneath her dress.

Evangeline let out a moan. "Is that so..."

"Very much and here's a sample."

 

*************************************************************************

 

 

"Daddy...daddy...where's mommy," asked an inquisitive Eryka who was the younger of Todd and Evangeline's two adorable daughters. All three were snuggled together on the sofa reading Pajama Time before the girls went to bed. Eryka was at that age when a question was bound to come up at any moment.

"She's getting ready for bed Munchkin and I think it's time to take you and Tangie upstairs." He tickled both of them and the girls giggled aloud. "So who wants to play airplane and who wants to climb on daddy's back?"

"I'm smaller so I get to be airplane."

"Sometimes I miss playing airplane but that just means I'm becoming a big girl right daddy?"

"Right Sweet Pea. Come on...come on...the daddy train is leaving." Todd leaned back and yelled, "All Aboard."

The girls giggled again then climbed into their respective positions. Todd considered these moments with his daughters very precious. His relationship with Starr had never recovered sufficiently enough for them to not feel a bit awkward around one another not that Starr came around much.

 

Meanwhile...

 

 

 "Trevor..."

"Mom just one more game because Sam is about to go down."

 

 

"In your dreams Trev..."

She heard the game sounds coming from Sam's bedroom as she walked past and decided to make her presence known. Usually she would insist but seeing that it was vacation time, she decided to let it go for now.

"Ok one more game but if you wake up late just know that we're on a schedule tomorrow..."

"Which means wake up late little brother, like you usually do, you'll be left ‘home alone'."

Trevor stuck out his tongue. "I'll bet I will wake up earlier than you."

"Mom you heard that."

If someone asked, Evangeline may say that it never occurred to her the exact moment when Sam started calling her mom. She considered Sam so much a part of her that it came natural to accept him calling her so.

"Loud and clear so we'll see," Evangeline smiled. Trevor was notorious for being a late riser especially when he was school break. "Goodnight guys and remember what I said. Sam..."

"Yeah mom I promise."

"Goodnight mom," they said in unison.

 

֍֍֍֍

Todd and the girls were still horsing around when Evangeline stepped into their shared bedroom.

"Uh Oh," all three said upon seeing her.

"Tangie, Eryka its time for the both of you to get into bed." Looks like everyone wanted to stay up tonight, Evangeline surmised.

"Awww," the girls groaned with disappointment but acquiesced.

Evangeline rubbed her swollen abdomen shaking her head and smiling at Todd.

"Sweetheart it's not my fault," he immediately put up a defense.

"Sometimes you indulge them way too much." She adjusted their bed linen and kissed both their foreheads. "Goodnight lovelies."

"Goodnight mommy...goodnight daddy...goodnight baby."

 

♥♥♥♥♥

Todd and Evangeline pulled back the covers and climbed into bed. So much had changed during their ten years of marriage but the abiding affection they felt for each other never waned. "Angel are you sure you're up for this?" Todd asked as they shifted into each other's embrace.

"Although I've been feeling tired lately that doesn't mean that I can't entertain our families for Christmas. I can't sit around and not do anything."

Entertaining family meant hosting Hugh, Layla and their three-year-old daughter Anaya. It was evident that the men would never be besties but for the sake of their happy marriages, they did their best to get along. As far as his mother-in-law was concerned, he knew Lisa analyzed his every move but they rarely saw her these days, which was good enough for him. Lisa had a chip on her shoulders when it came to the wedding. Ten years later and she was still waiting for the promised "official wedding"

"Sweetheart I'll be watching you very carefully and if I see that there is something wrong..."

"Then its bedtime for me. The kids will find that hilarious." Todd didn't laugh at the comment though instead he kissed her forehead and Evangeline let out a breath. "Baby I find it amazing how our lives turned out after all that turmoil. We've created a wonderful home and family. The kids are growing up so fast...Jack living on his own finding that great position at Fultec, Sam soon off the college. Where did the years go?"

"They certainly flew by but I'm so happy. I've enjoyed every moment. I get to have the life and love that I've always wanted and I wouldn't change anything."

"Not too boring of a life for Todd Manning."

Once the Banner sold, he took off a few months. An opportunity arose and he joined in a business partnership for an up and coming restaurant named Shays. Todd dealt with the business aspects while Chef Nolan took care of the day-to-day operations. Evangeline on the other hand joined Hugh in the DA's office. Sometimes it seemed awkward working with her brother-in-law especially when they bucked heads on a difficult case but they never allowed it to stray beyond the office.

"Never. I accept this life and all that comes along with it. I love you and the kids so so much."

"And I love you too."

He lifted her chin placing a lingering kiss on her lips.

"Oh..." The baby starting kicking.

He began rubbing her abdomen then inched his way down. "Daddy loves you too." He softly kissed her abdomen and whispered more words of love. It was turning into a conversation.  

In the meantime, Evangeline stroked his hair thinking how incomplete her life would be without the man she loves and the children they adored. Looking back, she recalled how fearful she was just getting on that plane. She feared returning to that overwhelming feeling of hurt and shame. It took her little miracle for her to begin this journey and now I'm Blessed.

"Better now?"

"Better," she agreed. "He/She needs attention just like its daddy."

"I'll take that as a compliment. Now where were we..."

 

**THE END**

 

End Notes:

Thanks to all those who took time to read and especially write a review!

This story archived at https://www.valentchamber.com/viewstory.php?sid=3297