The Human Story by Outfielder
RetiredSummary:

Bağlılık, the gem of southeast Europe. At its center is Putra a city as bright as the sun with secrets as dark as its shadows. Daniel Winters comes to study and finds herself linked to one of Putras most distinguished families. A link that will challenge her beliefs, shatter her dreams and give her insurmountable hope.


Categories: Original Fiction Characters: None
Classification: Supernatural
Genre: Action-Adventure , Comedy , Drama, Fantasy, Friendship, Mystery, Psychological, Romance, Suspense
Story Status: Active
Pairings: Male/Female
Warnings: Adult Situations, Original Characters, Sexual Content , Un-betaed , Work in Progress
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: No Word count: 25007 Read: 39264 Published: August 31 2015 Updated: October 06 2015
Story Notes:

I have crated a new country for this story. I hope you can endure it. Most of the names are Turkish, Serbian or Romani. If you'd like to know what they mean, I can post it if you let me know.

This is my first post here, please take care of me. :)

1. Bağlılık by Outfielder

2. Let me spell it for you by Outfielder

3. Five hundred Lyra by Outfielder

4. Faza by Outfielder

5. Young wolf by Outfielder

6. Whispers on the wind by Outfielder

7. Reprimand by Outfielder

8. Who I am by Outfielder

9. Nana by Outfielder

10. Failure and death by Outfielder

Bağlılık by Outfielder
Author's Notes:

I have photos of my two main characters, not sure how to upload them yet though.

 

Bağlılık 1

 

Bağlılık a small country towards the southeast extremity of the sovereign European States. Comfortably situated, it is bordered by Romania, Serbia and Bulgaria. It hosts some of the most majestic peaks of the Carpathian Mountains, rolling hills and a part of the great Danube river. It offers a plethora of outdoor activities and epicurean delights enough to satisfy the strictest and most sundry of tastes and, of course, Putra. 


It's capital city Putra is unlike any other capital in the world. Consisting of two sections, old town Putra maintains its old world flare, pace and atmosphere. From its cobblestone streets to its distinctive eighteenth and nineteenth century Bağlılık architecture (Byzantineuro). From its horticultural haven to its three dominant families, sentinels that continue to protect the "first fathers" within its borders. It is often likened to a secluded holy land.


The royal Vulpe family, the Öküz family - descendants of one of the the greatest generals in human history and the aristocratic Primul family estates encircle the the old town on three of its  four hills. The fourth, an enormous scenic plot. The Öküz Vulpe Centre of the Arts sits on part of its land. Directly outside the old town is modern Putra with its political and business centers, universities, commercial and tourist havens.   

 

Daniel read the intro on TripAdvisor for the twentieth time as she lounged on the park bench the homestay was trying to pass off as a single bed. She thought back to her conservative friend's enquiry.

 

"Aren't you a bit...well...old to be studying abroad?" She had leaned across the table and discretely whacked Daniel upside the head with her words. Daniel was now wondering if she hadn't been a bit hasty in defusing the counsel. At thirty-eight, Daniel rubbed her forehead and challenged herself with the thought again. She leaned across the bed, her legs dangling off one side, the whole top half of her body threatening to slide over the other.

 

Seriously! She had been on boogie boards wider than this.

 

She managed to squirm into a comfortable position. Where was she? Yes, at thirty-eight was she too old to be occupying an apartment with the twenty-something scantily clad shamelessly free spirit from Germany now across the way? Currently, she was redecorating her room to the wailing of someone by the name of Lord. Daniel was not impressed by this Lord woman, nor was she in any of the new wave of singers. To the contrary, she found that her interest in modern music waned with each passing season.

 

She watched her mate as she began to brush the most alarming shade of magenta down the wall. After an internal cringe she switched positions. It was true that many of her friends were married. Had been for thirteen years or more. It was also true that many of them had kids. Daniel had neither.

 

A point that her evil grams brought to her attention before she left.

 

"I really regret that you never married. But more so that you deprived your parents of the joy of having grandchildren. Me, I love my grandchildren, each and every one of them. I love my grandchildren and my great grandchildren," of which she has an untold amount on both the east and west coasts and probably points in Europe and the pacific due to a rather promiscuous cousin in the navy. "And I simply hate that your parents haven't known the love of a grandchild. There is no bond like that of..." It went on.

 

Her evil grams hated that Daniel liked to travel and had started doing so instead of investing in relationships, higher education and kids. The Dream Machine. Daniel had worked and traveled to Europe and parts of Asia then worked and traveled through South America. Later she started her path through the hallowed halls of higher education. She couldn't help it. She loved the human story. No matter where she went it was an intriguing variation of the same ingredients.

 

To be honest she did have experience with the male gender. There was one boy she lost absolutely everything to from West Point, Virginia. The guy was heavenly. A head full of curly  strawberry blonde hair, callous deft hands, hungry to experience and eager to please. There was the dreamy eyed boy-next-door with a healthy desire for alcohol and heavy make out sessions. He was also her caramel skinned manipulator who put her off men for at least a year. Let's see, the guy that took her to her first live basketball game from upstate New York and the competitive racer that bought a house in Church Hill and talked about her meeting his parents.

 

The one thing they all had in common, except Mr. West Point, was they wanted to tie her down and she believed with all her heart that marriage should set one free.

 

So here she was, lying on a two by four in a homestay in Bağlılık with her scantily clad free spirited German roommate, ready to explore the rich heritage of Putra and earn some college credits. The wailing of Lord changed to Lady GaGa belting at the top of her lungs while banging on a piano and Daniel decided that it was as good a time as any to explore Putra.

 

~~

 

The first thing she purchased upon settling into her homestay was a bicycle. Negotiating the various gradients in Putra made her long for her late teens early twenties, but Daniel was an active woman and adapted rather quickly. With her accommodations as the epicenter, she cycled the streets and parks of modern Putra. Chic cafes and trendy coffee houses where prolific. As were eclectic fashion boutiques and art galleries. Museums dedicated to art, both contemporary and traditional sat snug with those of history, culture, conflicts and natural science.

 

Population wise, Bağlılık was as diverse as any other wealthy nation and it was very wealthy. The Bağlılık Lyra was a kin to the Turkish Lira though in terms of strength frequently went head to head with the British Pound Sterling. It was not a member of the European Union and despite much wooing, was never likely to be. It was attractive to the wealthy and the poor because of its economic power however, both classes and everyone in between found themselves on a waiting list. 

 

In a move the perplexed the world, it capped its populous in the mid eighties. Immigrations came to a grinding halt as preference was given to its citizen nascency followed by migrant university students and mandatory foreign workers. Foreign Offices were allowed, embassies were not. Foreign teachers who fit certain requirements to fill specific positions were allowed, international schools were not. Tourists could come and go as they pleased, but not stay perpetually.

 

These are the people Daniel found herself amongst as she maneuvered the streets of modern Putra. The Korean man who waited beside her in the bicycle lane at the light. The Ugandan students crowed at the small cafe table on the other side of the storefront glass. The Russian woman with her Turkish husband and two delightfully adorable children playing ball in the park. She watched them instead of reading her course textbook. 

 

Of course, the Bağlıcau. That is what they called themselves. A complicated mixture of the nations around them. They came in every size and shape. The men ranged from muscular to athletic to lean. The women, petite to willowy to voluptuous. The race was golden biscuit in complexion mostly. Their hair plentiful, eyes striking in color and shape. She hadn't met one yet that seemed to have an inferiority complex. They were bright, brisk and beneficent. They also often referred to each other in third person as Bağlıca if female, Bağlıco if male and Bağlıcau if mixed in gender.

 

This Daniel learned from the proprietress of the Grab and Return near her homestay.  At her store one could borrow books much like a library. This particular day Daniel was mulling over a book of drawings instead of finding her assigned book of Essays on European primitive culture and conflict. She found it more the muse for thought. It contained drawings of old town Putra as it was to the eye dating from the late seventeenth century to the 1940s.

 

"Love, there is no need for you to sit slumped on the floor in this store. This is not the store of that stingy Bağlıco. I have plush velvet sofas. Come, come and sit." The proprietress then physically pulled her off the floor and guided her to a sofa, which she walloped with much vigor before grabbing Daniel by the arm and assisting her in situ. 

 

It was this book which she borrowed along with the intro to Bağlılık on TripAdvisor that strung along her interests in the old town.

 

Later when her schedule permitted, she borrowed a fellow alumni's Cannon D7 Mark II upon pain of death should something happen to it, and cycled through the modern city to the stone wall. Here she stopped. Large old trees towered over the high wall. Their branches reaching over it heavy with foliage as if there purpose was to keep the modern city out. Her heart picked up pace and she fumbled around with the camera and snapped some shots before straddling her bike and propelling it forward.

 

Slowly breaching the walls she was struck by their thickness and then the drop in temperature, the trees buffeting the sun. On either side of the cobblestone lane the land rose in turrets draped in ostrich ferns, wild ginger, woodland strawberry, sage, periwinkle and wild hyacinth. The noise and bustle behind couldn't penetrate and calm washed over her. She emerged from the forest and looked down upon the real Putra. Never had she seen anything more beautiful.

 

A family cycled by as she took photos, disappearing down the winding cobblestone along with all indications of their presence. She eventually followed riding through rolling fields with cows, sheep and goats. She passed orchards and over waterways. As she closed in on the old town she could see, just on the other side of it, a palatial estate half built into a hill, half rising out of it. The palace itself was very grand. Before it the town, a cluster of roofs. Two large buildings were discernible from the rest.

 

At this point she met an outer ring road. After crossing, she headed down into the town. Cars were not allowed. Time was quiescent. The homes were freshly painted and well maintained. Flowers burst from window plant boxes like hanging gardens. Light curtains billowed in the breeze waving down at the visiting pedestrians. The smell of coffee and bread, garlic, cumin and sumac mingled with the whiff of fresh mint and fragrant flowers. Her stomach growled, but a small building The Human Story captured her attention.

 

"Come in my dear, come in," a burly man with a thick white mane called after the jingle of the entranceway. "Welcome, welcome! You must not be shy. Ask anything you like. I am guaranteed to have the answer."

 

Looking up, Daniel was arrested by the gaze coming from a portrait on the wall above her welcomer's head. He wore a type of armor. His sword was unsheathed and clutched in his fist. His look was challenging eyes ablaze, brow low. His hair as dark as night. He and the owner bore resemblance.

 

"You are captivated!" He pointed up, "this Bağlıco is a great several generations back of mine. He fought along side General Öküz himself. A loyal servant to the three families until his death."

 

"The three families?"

 

"Vulpe, Öküz and Primul." He regarded her with a sparkle in his eye. "Have you seen the three estates?"

 

"I definitely saw the palace."

 

"No doubt, most see that on entering old town, come feast your eyes on this! Not every Bağlıcau boasts such a vista." He waved her after him but didn't wait for her to follow. This of course she did. They climbed four sets of stares and at the top was a small nook, not big enough but for a chair table and lamp. The chair was well worn. The table, intricately ornamented and well aged was adorned with a laptop and mug, coffee stained its rim. Following her gaze he erupted, "I come up here for peace and to do a bit of writing."

 

"You're an author?"

 

"Of historical works yes. I also collect them." He looked at her with unmasked interest. "You are my dear?"

 

"A student. My name is Daniel. I happen to be infinitely interested in the human story. Hence my entry."

 

He smiled broadly revealing a healthy set of eggshell teeth. "I knew it. I have good instincts about these things." His look more serious, "Daniel, you are American, from which part?"

 

"Virginia. Are you familiar with it?"

 

"Indeed I am. The early settlement Jamestown is there as well as Williamsburg. One of your founding fathers has a nice house in Charlottesville. Gettysburg the sight of a harsh battle between your people." He shook his head. "Parish the thought! Bağlıcau killing Bağlıcau!"

 

"Yeah well, we can't all be blessed to live in a country establish around the fall of Roma."

 

"Not quite, but I see your point." He smiled.

 

"Not to mention economically grounded by the time the Bubonic Plague reached London."

 

"That's true yes, but then the Black Death didn't effect Bağlılık due greatly to the efforts of Lord Primul Byson." He conceded with a nod of approval.

 

"Not withstanding being roughly the size of Switzerland." She shrugged, "and, you know, being completely devoid of slavery." This whole repartee taking place as she devoured the 360 degree view of the old town.

 

"You are well informed." He said from somewhere off to the side of her. 

 

"It's all part of the human story," she said absently. With the palace behind her, she met with a wonderful view of the other two estates. One, though no rival to the palace, was grand in stature. It's ornamentation was pompous, but well situated amongst the vegetation that stood in the roll of the hill as if the great house was erected within it instead of its being planted ensuingly. The second was more humble in its lines and appearance, yet gave the impression of loosing nothing in square footage. It had more hints of Turkish influence than the other two. "And the cluster of buildings there?" She pointed to those sitting between the Vulpe and Öküz estates.

 

"Yes, the Centre of the Arts jointly erected by the Vulpe and Öküz families on part of the land given to the General's children by King Vulpe Dejan himself upon his death." He stood beside her.

 

Daniel turned to him a bit ashamed. "I'm sorry, I didn't get your name."

 

"That's because I never offered it." His imposing forehead creased as he lifted his brow. "You may call me Faza." His name reverberated around the tight space as he extended a large had. "I see you have a very nice camera Daniel." His eyes sparkled with amusement, "the estates are a cameraman's wonder and since they do not allow postcards, each shot is a personal treasure."

 

Daniel's eyes flicked to the Öküz estate, "I think I may have to follow your advice."

 

"And I will recommend one of my books." Again he motioned her to follow and charged off down the steps leaving her behind.


End Notes:

Thank you for reading!

Let me spell it for you by Outfielder
Author's Notes:

Second installment. Thanks for sticking with me.

Let me spell it for you 2

 

The following free day found Daniel racing through the streets to make the last Öküz estate morning tour. Armed with her alumni's camera, given after signing over all her internal organs, she was determined to become intimate with its umbra. Her plan was to rise with plenty of time to get tea and a sardine and mushroom omelette with a generous amount of Gouda grated on top. She slept late however, and had to make due with a hastily eaten muffin after a quick shower.

 

The three families allowed four and only four tours a day Monday through Thursday. Three tours took place in the morning and one in the late afternoon. They were limited in entrants and on a first come basis. Preference was given to citizens and students. This allowed Daniel to make a reservation, but she still had to wait. This arrangement was contentious for tourists who knew the weight of their economic influence. Most countries relied very heavily on tourism, Bağlılık did not. 

 

Finding another date and time that coincided with her university schedule would have delayed her visit; so Daniel found herself breezing through the old town stone walls at high speed. Rushing through the forest and aforementioned scenery, she turned on the ring road, stood on the peddles and pumped towards the Öküz home.

 

A presentation of her student ID and proof of reservation gained entry at the gate after which she dashed down the winding drive to the mansion. A family of four, an older couple and family of three waited in anticipation on the semicircular porch. The children acquainted themselves scurrying amidst the arches while the adults conversed pleasantly. Their guide greeted her warmly when she sheepishly climbed the stairs. As they stood in front of the double doors they were given an introduction to Byzantine architecture, arcs arches and their great love of curves.

 

Daniel, though very much in awe of Turkish architecture, was a huge A Loyd Wright fan. Her attention was drawn to the two Lebanese cedar vestibules. They were massive, intricately carved and inlaid with copper. The scene: a man stood in the midst of a forest surrounded by four otherworldly creatures. His clothes were tattered and torn and he had no weapon with which to defend himself. 

 

One of the creatures was a two headed cobra with and the body of a scorpion. The one adjacent had the head and arms of a crocodile, but the body of an eagle. The third was a goat, it's horns long and jagged; it's body was as a lions, its front limbs were abnormally ample, the claws poised in the air. The Last and slightly apart from the others was a bull in form with hulking horns and the arms of a human. It stood on its hind legs and carried a broad sword. A ring hung in its nose with a serpent coiled around it. Daniel felt for the lone man and reaching out, ran her fingers over the bull's head. That's when she noticed that his genitalia was fully erect.

 

"It is a wonderful engraving don't you think?" Daniel jumped at the guide's voice.

 

"Whoa. Um, yes it is."

 

"Guests are always fascinated by the depiction. It is the legend of Yalnız. More specifically Insan hikayesi, the one who fights alone..." the guide was interrupted.

 

"But he's not alone, see..." The little red headed boy pointed up at the faces to the upper right. "There are people there and a woman and a dog on a cloud." His parents beamed down on their obviously above average son.

 

"You're right! Yalnız is not alone. The gods are showing him favor." A gesture was made to the heads floating in the sky. "The goddess of love," an indication to a delicate woman sheathed in  thin cloth, her contours and breast clearly visible, "is bestowing upon Yalnız a fox." The fox crouched ready to spring, it's mouth agape.

 

"It's just a little dog," The redhead was apparently average.

 

"A fox, and one should never judge on appearances." The older gentleman corrected kindly.

 

The guide nodded in approval, "foxes in lore often represent cleverness, whit and have an uncanny ability to extricate themselves from dangerous situations. The fox and Yalnız go on, in the legend, to defeat all of the creatures thus saving Bağlılık." The guide rested his eyes on the unconvinced redhead. "So legends go." The guide inserted an enormous metal key into the door. It turned easily and with a heavy clunk, one door shifted slightly. With effort it was pushed inward. "These cedar doors are opened only to start the tour. Be sure to wipe your feet before stepping in."

 

A floor to ceiling mirror greeted them with their own reflections. The high ceiling capped by a dome. Yellow, beige and red tiles formed intricate patters climbing the walls and covering the arches that opened the foyer in either direction. And the light, it burst in from the tiny curved windows that sat just below the dome and reverberated off the walls. It was breathtaking and only the beginning of what was to come.

 

In fact, Daniel frequently found herself left behind as she snapped photos or examined artwork or pictures. Sometimes she stood in the rooms trying to imagine who lived here and what their lives must have been like. She swore at times she felt the presence of Öküz from the past moving around, encircling her, coming closer to examine her just as she examined the vistas they looked from, the halls they walked and the rooms they slept in.

 

Everything was a mix of Turkish and European influences. While the architecture was stunning, the furniture was modest and tasteful. Handcrafted antiques, textiles and chinaware sat with the impression of being frequently used. More than just a display.

 

The grounds were equally magnificent. Trees and shrubs of every size and species, flowers, ground cover, moss and vines complimented, accented and at times artfully overtook portions of the manor and pilings. There were ponds natural and artificial, babbling little waterways and even a canal. She caught a glimpse of a maze somewhere in their wondering, but only a glimpse.

 

Yet again trailing the group, she stopped to get a beautiful shot of two swans, one black the other white while they rendezvous out on the large placid pond. She cautiously maneuvered  deeper into the the tall grass to get a better angle. Finally satisfied, she turned to leave and arranging things, noticed the lens was not in the bag!

 

"Oh, oh no...no no no." Sifting through the tall grass she got down on her hands and knees to part it like fine hairs. That is, until something caught her hip. She looked up and saw a man fall down. He landed in a heap and remained motionless before groaning. This made Daniel teehee.

 

"You're laughing?" He muffled as he began to move.

 

"No...I mean, I'm sorry, but yes." She chortled, "who stays down on the ground that long?" As he sat up she showed more contrition. "I'm sorry."

 

"You said that."

 

"I really am," she fumbled around, "I lost the lens to my friends camera you see." She looked around, "it's worth a large sum of money and..."

 

"You mean this?"

 

There it was in his hands! "Where?"

 

"Somewhere between my pancreas and gallbladder I expect." He winced.

 

Daniel covered her eyes with one hand and guffawed before quickly gaining her composure. "I was taking pictures."

 

"On all fours?"

 

"What?"

 

"Oh for the the love of... It's torn!" He was fingering a tear in his slacks. Now Daniel noticed he was wearing a suit and an expensive looking one at that. Of course it was expensive, he lived in the freaking Taj Mahal, but that did nothing to dampen her irritation, even if it was presumptuously cultivated.

 

"Maybe it was already torn."

 

His sudden gaze impressed the wolffish grey green color of his eyes in her memory. "It was not. And I will have you know that this suit is worth..."

 

"By all means, surreptitiously compliment your own wealth." 

 

"...over five thousand Lyra. Surrep..."

 

"What is that?" Daniel looked up pensively in the sky, "like almost eight thousand dollars." Inwardly, she wilted into the soil beneath her legs. Outwardly, she remained truculent. 

 

"It's not mine."

 

"Seriously, who goes loping about the forest in an eight thousand dollar suit?" She flailed her hand out at the trees.

 

"It's my damn patch of trees, I can do the damn bernie in a F-in chartreuse tutu if I want. And who might you be tourist?" He was rising to his feet now and as daniel's head had to tilt further back, her irritation abandoned her to the consequences.

 

The whole interchanged began a playback and its folly not lost on her. She too rose and finally looked into his face and smiled with a chuckle.

 

"Again, you're laughing."

 

"Daniel. My name is Daniel. I'm a student at BGU and thank you," she reached to retrieved her lens from his hand, "for being more of a gentleman than I deserve."

 

He pulled the lens out of her reach. "Your surname?"

 

"Huh?" She grunted as she reached for it again.

 

"Daniel who?" He moved it in the other direction.

 

"Winters, Daniel," she lunged, but he was faster, "Winters," she made another try which ended in disappointment, "what?" She huffed.

 

"You might as well come to lunch," he turned on his heels and started walking, "it will help me explain why I'm late." He tossed the lens in the air and caught it. Daniel stood for a second and watched him leave before cursing under her breath and following.

 

His strides were long and Daniel who topped out at five foot two had to work to keep up. "Look, this is a really bad idea."

 

"Why?"

 

"I won't know what to say."

 

"I doubt it."

 

She stopped, "what?" Then started again. "I won't know which fork to use."

 

"Fork?" His head turned to her as he stopped. It was his turn to guffaw as he started walking again. "It won't matter."

 

"Rich people things always matter to rich people."

 

"It's not my fault we have money. Don't try and paint me evil." He tossed her lens again.

 

"I have a tour at another house."

 

"The estates don't tour again until three." They turned around a corner of the mansion laden with wisteria.

 

"Wow, that smells nice." She slowed down, "wait! I don't play well with others." This she conceded as they mounted stairs. He simply showed her two lines of perfect teeth before guiding her through the door. Here Daniel was met by two sets of eyes. "Erm, hello." She said brightly.

 

"Oh Tawny, I was wondering what happened to you." A slim woman with large light brown eyes that shimmered gold in the sunlight, came towards them.

 

But Daniel only had a second to notice, "sooo, your name is Tawny?" She chided as he passed by to give the woman a cheek. He spared her a sidelong glance before ignoring her.

 

"Hello mother. This is Daniel Winters."

 

"Not exactly my dear, it's a nickname that caught on when he was little. Daniel Winters welcome, my name Mir." Mir was flawless grace in motion. Her eyes alert and trained on Daniel, but not with malice, more curiosity. "Please let me apologize in advance for my son's rough behavior. I thank you for putting up with it."

 

Daniel looked to her capture for an explanation. He seemed to have totally forgotten her existence. "No no, we just met."

 

"She tripped me up in the birch woods." He said from the finger basin across the way.

 

"Tripped you up?" Mir's head swiveled from him to her.

 

"Yes, you see I dropped my lens. I borrowed the camera from a friend so I was trying to find it." Daniel offered politely.

 

"Your lens?" Mir looked over the camera, "where is it?"

 

"He still has it." She said flatly.

 

"You are a spoiled little Bağlıco, always have been." The other occupant in the room walked up to her capture and tugged his ear.

 

"Nana, please." He reddened a slightly.

 

"Well, welcome to lunch Daniel. This is My mother-in-law, we call her Nana." Mir answered smoothly, "now that you have arrived, we are waiting on your brother and his guest."

 

There came a grunt, but Daniel couldn't pinpoint who from.

 

"Sorry to be late." In swept a distinctly gaudy woman with large blue eyes. She was big boned, but not overweight by any means. Her hair was jet black, lips red, fingernails bubblegum and earrings large and gold. "I simply could not get away from my meeting. They depend on me so."

 

She was followed by a man who could be taken for Mir's son. "What happened to the trainee? Coming late like this is embarrassing."

 

"Oh, don't be cross with me. I do so enjoy the family lunch and...who is that?" Her sweep of the room landed on Daniel.

 

"Adonia, please welcome Daniel Winters. Daniel, Adonia Mavijek." Mir introduced them.

 

Daniel waved, "How do you do?" She extended a hand.

 

"How do you do?"

 

Lunch continued without much flare. Adonia, in Daniel's opinion was one of those very-pleased-with-myself types. She talked all through lunch ingratiating herself on everyone, except Daniel. Mir a few times tried to find out more information about Daniel's situation with little success. Nana ate quite a bit, but did not reflect the same voracity in regards to speech. Her capture said little and only when forced, otherwise nothing at all.

 

With lunch mostly over and mindless conversation prevailing Daniel rose to excuse herself. "Thank you very much for lunch. The food was excellent," she paused, "but I really must go. I have classes early tomorrow and a textbook I've been trying my best to avoid these past three days."

 

"Uni days! So long ago." Adonia mused. "I think it's immensely brave of you to attend after so long. I couldn't imagine attending in my..."

 

"Thirties, thirty-eight to be exact. I'm not ashamed or embarrassed, no courage required. It has nothing to do with bravery. There were other things I wanted to do more, so I did them. I'm very proud of what I've accomplished." She shrugged.

 

"There is no need for you to be so defensive," Adonia looked to the others for confirmation. 

 

"Pretty typical for a that hum?"

 

Adonia's face dropped, "that is not what I meant."

 

"Oh, I think it is." She took a moment to soak in Adonia's translucent skin, the faint signs of aging. "I have a hard time believing that a woman of your stature, education and breeding wouldn't fathom the implications of referring to a person by an indicative pronoun. It was undignified and cheap way of separating me from you." Daniel raised her chin while Adonia's face became more ashen by the minute as she listened, then reddened considerably. 

 

"Who are you to talk to me in such a way?" She too stood.

 

"Daniel Winters. D A N I E L, W I N T E R S. You pompous shrew." With that, Daniel calmly walked out the way she came in. As she descended the stairs she fumed, of all the stupid...

 

"Daniel!" Her capture's voice called behind her. She didn't stop.

 

"I told you this was a bad idea."

 

"My dear." Mir's call made her turn around. "You must forgive Adonia, she's lived a sheltered life."

 

"I mustn't do anything of the kind. Maybe if she had been held accountable more in her life she wouldn't be an insufferable bore."

 

"Still, come to dinner tonight." Mir tapped her chin.

 

"I won't apologi...what?"

 

Mir turned to head back to the house, "Adonia won't be there. Come at seven." Daniel watched her glide back up the stairs and into the house.

 

"She can't be serious."

 

"She is." He amble towards her.

 

"Now you decide to speak?" For the first time, she paid attention to him. His build was more athletic than brawny. His hair thick, the front the color of hayseed which became progressively darker as it reached his neck. A very few grey hairs graced his temple. His forehead wide, nose straight, eyes though luminous, slanted slightly and his lashes were simply enviable.

 

"I don't know what you mean."

 

Daniel decided not to engage and paraded around a bit until she realized she had no idea how to get back to the front entrance.

 

"Lost?"

 

She glowered at him. He held up his palm to the right. He was thoroughly amused.

 

"Where is my lens?"

 

"In the house. It's safe until you come for dinner. Dress is casual."

 

Daniel squinted, "casual how?"

 

He shook his head, "wear whatever the hell you want."

 

"You're a real piece of work..."

 

"Kurtarıcı Öküz. K U R T A R I C I, Ö K Ü Z." 

 

They both erupted in laughter as he walked her to her bike.


End Notes:

I've been dropping hints and foreshadowing in these first two chapter like it's going out of style. I wonder if anyone has picked up on anything?

thanks for reading! :)

Five hundred Lyra by Outfielder
Author's Notes:

To make it a little more authentic, I decided to write the names as they appear in the Turkish language. I intend on doing so for previous chapters as well.

Thank you if you reviewed, I enjoyed reading them. And thank to all who are still with me at this point.

Enjoy :)

Five hundred Lyra 3

 

Concentration was beyond Daniel. The evolution of Romanian linguistics was the day's topic for Romanian History. The topic reminded her of Adonia and Adonia reminded her of the Öküz family in whose mansion she attended dinner two evenings ago. Adonia had not attended, but everyone in the Öküz clan had. Or so it seemed. It was an event she had desperately wanted to skip however, paying her fellow alumni nine hundred dollars for his lens was not an option.

 

~~

 

When she had cycled up to the gate that evening two forms were discernible in the purplish haze of twilight. One was that of a guard and the other one one was...

 

"Don't tell me you're sitting here waiting for your master like a nice little pup Kurt."

 

"I don't believe I gave permission for you to shorten my name." He nodded towards the guard. "Remember this is what trouble looks like," the guard opened the gate.

 

Daniel curtsied before navigating her bicycle through the pedestrian entrance. The guard took the contraption from her and the two shuffled toward the house together.

 

"So you admit to being my pup."

 

"Why are you on a bicycle?" His voice was even. She couldn't much make out his face.

 

"Beneficial exercise."

 

"Can't afford a taxi."

 

"Behave, naughty pups get the classifieds right upside the..."

 

"Assuming you can't afford a taxi, if you had told me, I could have sent the car." 

 

"Assuming you're being sincere, don't start now, we are beyond such pleasantries." They had walked a path around god-knows-where and now they approached a well lit terrace. Light came from the inside of the home as well as candelabras placed around the rim of the patio and snow lights draped in the foliage of trees and shrubs. A huge pit fire burned a safe distance from the tables. 

 

Kurt stopped, "we are. Isn't it refreshing?" He took a satisfied breath. "I though you would bring me more amusement at lunch, but it was dull as usual. Very disappointing until the end of course," with that he stepped around Daniel, leaving her to follow.

 

True to form, he give no introductions on the terrace. He quietly blended into the small cluster of kin mingling here and there. But it turned out he didn't have to.

 

"Oh my god." A young woman rushed towards her with sun kissed arms stretched out. "You must be Daniel W I N T E R S." She grabbed Daniel's hands and squeezed. Her hair was long and lineal, a lustrous hue of brown. Her eyes were blue, closer to navy in the dim illumination.

 

"Well, yes..."

 

"Okay, did you or did you not, call Adonia a pompous shrew?" Anticipation and glee held her classic features and slender body ridged.

 

Daniel winced, "well, yes..."

 

The young woman cackled in wicked ecstasy, "yes!" She turned her attention away but kept a firm hold on Daniel's left hand. "Guillermo! Did you hear that? She said yes and you owe me five hundred Lyra!" A few people clapped others hooted. Her attention was back on Daniel. She was appraised quickly and favorably it seemed. "Where are my manners..."

 

"Wrapped in my five hundred Lyra no doubt!" Came an answer from behind.

 

"...my name is Voda. I'm a Primul, but my mother is an Öküz..."

 

"You're name means water."

 

Voda's navy blues widened with interest, "do you speak Serbian?"

 

"Znam pomalo, but only a very little. Really, not enough to form sentences or anything. We received a very short introductory lesson during orientation."

 

Voda waved it away quickly, "it is not important. Let me introduce you to everyone."

 

To Daniel it felt very much like being picked up in the tornado of the Tasmanian devil. Voda whisked her around the terrace spouting a grand list of names while pointing ambiguously in this direction or that. Names none of which Daniel did, could or had any intentions of committing to memory. What she did later recall was how Voda described them: burly chested Bağlıco, Barbie Bağlıca, Quagmire chinned Bağlıco, Botox Bağlıca, bespectacled Bağlıca, etc.

 

Her taunts were laughed at then laughed off. Not a drop of low self esteem amongst the lot of them.

 

"Voda, what nonsense." Mir elegantly appeared to the rescue. "Give Daniel room to breath."

 

Voda looked stricken, "you are not cross with me are you Daniel?"

 

"Not at all." Daniel laughed at Voda's obvious relief.

 

"Of course not. As I have determined we shall be good friends. You see," she looked conspiringly, "I think Adonia a pompous shrew as well."

 

"Shrew! Shrew! Shrew!" The cry repeated until Mir silenced them with a hand.

 

"But that Bağlıco," an accusative finger was pointed at the man who had entered with her to lunch, "has not a bit of Öküz blood..."

 

"Not a bit of it!" Sanctioned an enthralled spectator.

 

"...and will not, cannot kick her back over the Carpathians to Romania from wince she swooped down on us."

 

"Where she belongs!" Another spectator concurred.

 

Said spineless Öküz sat unfazed enjoying his cognac.

 

"Decorum Bağlıcau. We do not wish Daniel to think we are uncivilized." Mir looked at the group of relatives. "My dear," to Daniel, "if my husband were here they would be better behaved."

 

"Not so." Voda mumbled.

 

"I assure you, I am envious of your honesty." Daniel patted Mir's hand. "In fact, I think a good swift kick would do a great deal of good."  

 

"Hurray!"

 

"And if the projectile happened to clear the mountain range, it would be no skin off my teeth." Daniel laughed at their joviality.

 

"Get her a drink!"

 

Suddenly, Daniel's hair stood on the back of her neck. Simultaneously, a reverent hush fell over the congregation.

 

"And this projectile would be whom?" A deep yet warm voice inquired from behind. No one said a word. Where was the careless joviality now? The brash calls? Well, Daniel had stuck her foot in it. Wasn't the first time, wouldn't be the last. She turned around calmly and met the appraising eyes of a commanding figure. She tilted her head. He was what Kurt would probably look like given some weathering. He was more mature. Lots more grey. More perspicacious too maybe? The internal jab made Daniel chuckle.

 

"You're laughing?"

 

"You must be Kurt's father." She replied with a smile. There followed some murmuring.

 

"Kurt?" The gentleman blinked. His eyes began to search the group while all heads began to turn in one direction. Kurt stood from his lounge chair and raised his drink.

 

"Welcome home father."

 

Someone snorted and roaring ensued. Daniel looked about them in confusion until her eyes met Kurt's. He simply stared at her devoid of any emotion and took a gulp from his drink. She touched the back of her fingers to her mouth and snickered.

 

"I thought.." He started and the merriment began to subside, "I said..." A titter here, "I didn't give you permission to shorten my name."

 

Daniel shrugged, "seeing as how I'm here by proxy and we are past pleasantries, as you said, I don't see the benefit in waiting for your permission." The swish was audible as all heads pivoted in Kurt's direction.

 

"You made the statement."

 

"I was joking."

 

"No, you weren't," he took another drink from his glass.

 

"No, I wasn't," she feigned contrition, "but you were right," she smiled brightly, "it is refreshing."

 

He finally let a smile creep across his face as he watched her, "yes, it is." Then he laughed and she joined him. Both were oblivious to the reaction of those around them. A notable hum swirled about them. Not of words, but of excitement, interest, expectation and promise. Some were astounded, most were amused.

 

"My dear, I'd like to introduce you, since my son lacks the manners, to my husband, Sevgili Öküz." She guided Daniel over to the patriarch. "Koca, this is Daniel Winters." Daniel extended her hand, which was enveloped by his own.

 

"How do you do?" She shook his firmly and noticed his matched her own but gentle.

 

"I am very happy indeed to come home to such mirth. When my people are light of heart, I am at peace." His eyes never left her face. They were sincere and inviting as was his demeanor. "Please tell me," he released her hand and took his wife's. "How did you come to us?" He led her to a lounge chair and sat with her occupying the armrest.

 

"I suppose if we go back far enough," she frowned, "by way of Faza." An invisible vacuum absorbed all ebullience from the atmosphere as everyone stilled.

 

"You met Faza?" Voda asked in awe.

 

"Yes, I went to his store and met him when I entered."

 

"Faza answered the door?" A cousin asked. They began to exchange looks.

 

Daniel frowned again, "yes we talked about the portrait of his ancestor and then he showed me the view from his writing nest." There followed a few gasps.

 

"Faza is not known to interact with the public Daniel. You must excuse us, we are a bit surprised." Sevgili reassured her in behalf of his family.

 

"Much less take people upstairs. I myself have never been invited." Voda explained.

 

"Oh," Daniel felt self conscious. "He gave me a book and suggested I come take pictures." While the other's eyes again shared undisclosed communications, she looked around until hers fell in line with Kurt's. He smiled and nodded his head slightly. She took a fortifying breath.

 

"Do not make too much of it, my dear," Mir stood and took her hand. "Faza is a great eccentric, I'm sure it is not as singular as these coarse Bağlıcau would cause you to believe." At that dinner was announced and all waited as Sevgili took the lead with Mir to the tables.

 

Voda grabbed Daniel, "come." There was now in her manner something kindred.

 

For dinner, Daniel was invited to sit at the table with Kurt, his brother, Sevgili, Voda and Mir. Questions were delicately placed to learn more about Daniel. She didn't hold back in her answers, though she was discrete. She was from Richmond, Virginia. She had two older sisters. Her parents were retired but not well off. Her sisters were married and had children along with dogs and gerbils and other creatures. One was a nurse, the other a forensic scientist. 

 

She had no idea where all her ancestors were from, but she was aware of British, Native American and African lines. They suspected others but nothing was confirmed. She had traveled to fourteen countries in total over the years. Bağlılık was her fifteenth. She was finishing up her studies at BGU and wanted to do something that would allow her to continue to move about.

 

Daniel enjoyed Sevgili's perspective. It's seemed perfectly natural to him that she should do what brought her joy. He didn't pass judgement but congratulated her on remaining true to her ideals. He asked if she liked Bağlılık, what she had seen so far and what she would like to see. An invitation was extended for her to come back anytime she liked. She graciously accepted but decided not to take it to heart. After dinner, family members played instruments and Sevgili and Mir danced with a serenity Daniel found herself envying. 

 

In the recesses of her mind, something gnawed at her.

 

"Do you play?" Kurt collapsed in the seat next to her.

 

"Instruments? The guitar, a bit of piano and I can fudge my way around a cello." A sound rumbled in her chest, "what was that?" She looked out into the dark.

 

"What?"

 

"It sounded like...um...elephants when they communicate at low decibels."

 

"Don't tell me you worked in a zoo or something." He smirked at her.

 

"Working with animals teaches one quite a bit about humans." She said smugly.

 

"I bet."

 

"Why, little pup, are you always challenging me?" She turned to him. He matched her scrutiny.

 

"Why, great escapist, do you keep defying me?" His brows tilted in confrontation.

 

She hissed, "escapist...that's...that is, where did that come from?"

 

"What I can't figure, is what you're running from." He pressed his nose down with his index finger. There was silence while they stared at each other.

 

"That, is a great look for you." Daniel pinched his nose with force as she got up.

 

"Ow, what the?" He gingerly pet it as she walked away.

 

"Daniel." Voda followed. "Are you leaving us already?"

 

"Yes, I have..."

 

"No, uncle make her stay." Voda called to Sevgili. He came over with an air of genuine concern, yet Daniel felt a definite vibe from him. It was hard for her to shape the gelatinous ideas in her mind. He was all there, but a part of him wasn't. There was a wherewithal repressed by his natural humility. It was all so herd to pinpoint.

 

"Must you leave Daniel?" He penetrated her with his gaze. She looked away.

 

"Yes, I have class tomorrow."

 

He nodded his head in understanding. "Yes, of course. Are you driving home?" A few of the clan started to gather.

 

"She rode a bicycle." Kurt offered much to Daniel's dismay.

 

"Oh, but it is horribly dark in old town after the sun goes down." Mir fidgeted.

 

"I'll be fine, it was well lit coming in. Besides, the exercise will help clear my head." She scratched said appendage with a smile.

 

"Please, send for the car koca." Mir advised.

 

"Really, I'll be fine," Daniel started backing away. She suddenly felt suffocated.

 

Kurt came forward and grabbed her gently by the arm. "I'll walk you down to the gate."

 

"Yes, thank you." She was awash with relief. "And thank you, for generously inviting me to dinner Mir." 

 

The lady stepped forward and took her hand with a smile. "You must come again. Next Sunday, come next Sunday. We will spend the day at the Danube. Do you swim?"

 

"Um, yes." 

 

"Good, it's settled." Voda clapped, "I'll come fetch you."

 

"All settled," was all Daniel could think to say. Then Kurt was leading her away, away from the terrace and the candles and she was waving and he was carrying an oil lamp and guiding her through the darkness. Darkness so thick and heavy she could grab it and mold it like putty. The crickets chirped and the cicadas buzzed and the wind tussled the leaves. Rocks crunched underfoot and off in the distance she could hear water. The earthly resonance shielded her against the darkness. That and the warm grip her guide had on her arm. She stopped abruptly, "Kurt why am I here?"

 

The light cast a murky shadow over the left side of his face. His brow hid his right eye. "What do you mean?" His answer monotone. She could detect nothing. "You were invited to dinner."

 

"No, I mean, why me?"

 

He lifted the oil lamp slightly elongating the shadows concealing his face, "you sure your okay? Maybe I should take you home myself."

 

"No, I can make it home." She went to move and he arrested her arm again and took the lead. 

 

After collecting her bicycle, she had only looked back at the estate once. Kurt's oil lamp floating eerily between the gate bars the only indication of his presence. Still watching. 

 

She had burnt rubber peddling to the homestay. For the feeling became increasingly unshakable that she was being watched. Sweat had beaded and trailed down her temples. She had wiped at it in intervals, but her attention remained focused ahead on the next illumination on the path. Even after she turned off the ring road and even as she weaved her way rapidly through landscape then just an inky void, she felt it. 


End Notes:

A little taste of intrigue?

Faza by Outfielder
Author's Notes:

Im not quite sure my story appeals to the majority of readers however, I'm grateful you have come this far. I hope you continue to enjoy it.

Faza 4

 

Daniel had been wired when she arrived safely home from dinner, but as soon as her head hit the pillow, she was gone. She dreamed of a group of gigantic grasshoppers, sailor beetles and millipedes playing guitars, a piano and cellos under the canopy of the forest. She sat in the soft grass, her legs tucked under her a lone figure savoring the concerto. Suddenly, the sun hurled itself to the earth and set the trees ablaze. They tore their roots from the soil and started running crying large fat sappy tears. The flying insects took to the sky with their instruments while the millipedes scampered swiftly away. 

 

Daniel stood in a filmy night gown and lifted her hand against the blaze. Cows and sheep galloped towards her.

 

"Run away little Daniel!" They bayed and haphazardly split to either side of her. She started to run after them, but they disappeared and she knew not which way to go. Faintly she heard the sound of water and rushed in its direction. A tree aflame shrieked pitifully as it passed, its roots thumping as it beat a path in the darkness. 

 

"Stop! I hear water. Come this way tree, this way!" She waved her hands around and the tree circled back. "Yes, come! I'll help you." Many more trees followed and she led them to a great river. They jumped in, one after the other, until there were no more flames and she fell to her knees in relief. But the ground began to vibrate. Vibration increased to agitation with the sound of precipitous pounding on the earth. It crescendoed with each impact until it ceased and a form towered over her.

 

I faint whistle sliced the darkness and the tip of a huge segmented leg pierced the ground a few yards in front of her. It's body began to glow revealing two enormous pedipalps poised wide. The claws hovering like independent beings as they scissored alternately. One wide cobra head swooned from left to right while the other dipped. With fangs exposed it hissed, four eyes trained on Daniel. Something glistened over head and she realized it was the enormous telson of a scorpion. At the sting, a sol drop of venom glistened pristine. It stealthily retracted and she realized, she was going to die.

 

But not before the large being bobbed around involuntarily to the polka...

 

Daniel had sprang out of bed, literally and subsequently collided with the floor. Two morning DJs hooted and yawped blowing bazookas to the polka on the radio.

 

"La la-la-la, buerrrrrpop! Good morning Putra it is great to be alive! And what a morning we've got planned for ya..."

 

~~

 

No, concentration was very hard under these circumstances because Romania reminded her of Adonia and Adonia reminded her of the Öküz family dinner. The Öküz family dinner reminded her of her nightmare and that freaked the hell out of her. It was too realistic. She could still remember the feelings, see every little detail. She needed to get out of the dip in the Danube and she had to have a talk with someone.

 

That someone was Faza.

 

Daniel didn't bother to lock her bicycle. Old town had zero crime. No purse snatching, pick pocketing or mugging. No black market existed nor fraudulent merchants or kiosks. Everyone who practiced business in old town was from the old town, they called them the "first fathers." Up the kickstand went and it was settled in front of the display window of The Human Story. She did however, pause before entering the business. She hadn't really thought it all through, just hightailed it here while she still possessed the nerve.

 

The door swung open on its own with a light jingling.

 

"For how long do you plan on standing in front of my door Daniel?" The blustery voice asked, but it wasn't a question. Daniel took in the familiar head full with white hair and bushy brow. 

 

"Just sorting a few things out." She charged in. The door jingled closed behind her.

 

"Questions about my book." He announced.

 

"No, about why the whole house fell silent and everyone started treating me like I was insane when I mentioned your name?"

 

"I don't follow." The bushy eyebrows sat low and he blinked a few times.

 

"At the Öküz home."

 

"You went there?"

 

"You told me to go." She countered aghast.

 

"No, I did not," a think finger thrust up in the air as he walked past, "but this is interesting."

 

"Inter..."

 

"How did you find it?" He spun unexpectedly. "The estate I mean."

 

"Beautiful Faza, absolutely breathtaking in every way." Her soft smile disappeared as she remembered, "but that's not why I'm here,"

 

His did too, "of course not." He continued walking and started up the stairs. "Who did you meet first?"

 

Daniel watched his retreating form and growled as she followed. "Kurt. Faza..."

 

"Kurt?" He stopped on the landing.

 

"Yes Kurtar..."

 

"Kurtarıcı!" His laughter bounced off the old walls in the confined space. Daniel had to cover her ears. He bound up the steps again, "we call him Tawny."

 

"But that's a bit girly for me." She bounced along, "I mean, I totally intend to taunt him with it forever...no I don't." She realized he had turned down a hall and followed.

 

"Why not?"

 

"Because I never intend to see him again." They were now in a front room. Three windows opened out to the street and pedestrians bellow. Each held a window box filled with flowers. Books sat in every available wall space. A vase rested on a small table that contained fresh cut flowers, the watering container was on the floor nearby. Two antique love seats graced the middle of the cherrywood floor. They faced one another separated by a coffee table. An easel supported a vibrant pencil drawing of a woman looking up engagingly. Most prominent was her upturned face in an excellent three point perspective.

 

Daniel could almost feel the wind tickling her hair and the warm sun lighting her face. It was masterfully done.

 

"My wife. Coffee or tea my dear?"

 

"Tea, thank you." Daniel murmured. At the bottom of the drawing was written 'The day I fell in love.' It was signed in a signature she couldn't read and the year, 1966. When she moved in closer she could make out a reflection in the woman's eyes. If she wasn't mistaken, "Faza."

 

"Yes?" He clattered in supporting a tray with a teapot, brown sugar, milk, two cups with saucers and a small plate containing an assortment of sweets.

 

Daniel pointed, "is that a doily?"

 

"Yes, my dear. What's proper never goes out of fashion." He looked at her pointedly before setting it down and pouring tea. He handed Daniel her cup and saucer. "As you like." He began to settle himself and condiment his own cup. "Who did you meet next?"

 

"Mir."

 

"And then?"

 

"Nana, Faza why do you get to ask all the questions?"

 

He sat forward, "did you meet his father?"

 

"Sevgili, yes. He was very nice in an intimidating kind of way, but..." She fell silent.

 

"He is the patriarch of one of the three families, what did you expect?" He bit into a hazelnut tort.

 

"More arrogance and condescension I suppose." Daniel continued to examine her tea.

 

"Have a tort."

 

"Don't mind if I do." She moaned as the flavor rolled over her tongue.

 

Faza allowed her to relish it a bit before asking, "but?"

 

"I don't know." She sighed with exasperation. "He's a magnificent specimen of something I don't understand."

 

Faza allowed an artful pause, "and why won't you see him again?" He regarded her through his brows.

 

"Who? Sevgili?"

 

"Kurtarıcı, my dear. You said you had no intentions of ever seeing him again."

 

"Because there is something going on and it's freaking me out." She took a sip of tea and placed it on the table. "Who are you and why do you keep talking to me?"

 

"Do you want me to stop?" He blinked confused.

 

Daniel heaved a heavy sigh, "Faza please, I saw that stupid copper inlaid depiction, it's too damn dark at night on that property than is healthy and the two headed scorpion beast tried to kill me."

 

"Where?" His question was instantaneous.

 

"In my dream the night of the...what do you mean where?" Daniel's eyes rounded.

 

"Sorry," Faza held up his hand, "I meant when." Daniel relaxed. "I see it didn't succeed." His face mirthful.

 

"It was distracted by the polka." She slid her hands down her face. When she looked at Faza, he looked away. "That. Right. There. That's what I'm talking about. Now you think I'm crazy."

 

"No I do not." He looked back at her and smiled. "Insan hikayesi has freaked people out for centuries. How presumptuous of you."

 

"No, I didn't mean it that way."

 

"So you have a nightmare after seeing it and spending an unusual evening with one of our most distinguished families," he waved it all away with the flick of the wrist, "you lost me at the polka."

 

"My alarm. If the radio hadn't sounded it would have killed me." She pouted.

 

"Have a fruit tart."

 

"Don't mind if I do." She reached for it without hesitation and took a bite.

 

"In your dream it was stopped by the polka?" He ran the pad of his thumb over the nail tips of his four fingers.

 

"Correct. It's started moving around to the polka. It didn't seem happy about it either." Daniel eyed him as she sipped her tea, "Are you taking mental notes?"

 

"Do be serious, I'm showing interest. How did you and dinner come about?"

 

"Mir invited me after I destroyed the happy lunch atmosphere." She rolled her eyes.

 

He ducked his head forward, "happy lunch...?"

 

"Adonia, we clashed. She called me 'that' and attacked my choices in life and I called her a cheap undignified pompous shrew." Faza's laughter actually made her jump about a foot in the air.

 

"Priceless!" She held tightly to her tea cup as he laughed. "If she had her way and married into the family it would be disastrous."

 

"You think she won't?"

 

"Who knows. Dogan, Kurtarıcı's brother has no fire and doesn't appear to want to ignite one." He sighed. "Listen my dear, if you have another opportunity you must explore it. Avoiding aberrant situations is..."

 

"What black folk call, self preservation."

 

He rolled his eyes, "is not how a self proclaimed connoisseur of the human story proceeds. As long as everyone and everything fits in neat little boxes, we learn nothing. It is only when we dare to explore what's outside the box does the human story truly come to light." 

 

Daniel sat mesmerized for a moment. She really hated it when her instincts conflicted. What exactly was she suppose to find out? "Are you saying that the Öküz are outside the box?"

 

"My dear Bağlılık and all things pertaining to it have never been inside the box." He spread is arms, "why do you think I am here?" Somewhere a clock ticked and traces of the violin drifted along on the breeze. Daniel looked at the drawing of Faza's wife.

 

"Did you draw that Faza?" She pointed toward the easel.

 

His face took on a soft wistful look, "unfortunately not. She did, it was how she confessed her love to me. I was very dashing in those days."

 

"She drew you reflected in her eyes." Daniel got up and rounding the table sat down beside Faza.

 

"I was all she could ever see. She went to the Center for the Arts here you know. As gifted a Bağlıca as ever lived." Daniel watched him as he spoke and wondered about their story. When he turned and leveled his gaze on her she smiled and lightly tugged his collar.

 

"I don't know Faza, you still strike a gallant figure to me." He blushed. "Why do you talk to me and invite me into your private spaces when you don't do so for others?"

 

"Because we are after the same thing my dear. And you are welcome to come by anytime you wish."

 

~~

 

Three rounds and no decisions. Where had she heard that? It's how she felt about her talk with Faza a few days ago. Daniel now lay on her floor in her homestay. The bright Sunday morning sun bathing her in its soft glow. Three rounds and no decisions. Should she go to the Danube or not? Were they anymore than a lively ridiculously wealthy family? It might be interesting to observe rich people enjoy their riceza. Maybe they will have forgotten her. Three rounds and no decisions.

 

She hadn't given directions or even told them where she lived. They had not exchanged cell numbers either. How could Vida possibly know where she was? No, it was just a polite way to end the evening. Daniel sat up. She reached for her tablet and slid Faza's book off the desk instead. Her fingers glided over the heavy copper seal imbedded in the leather cover.

 

The Three Princes

 

Contents:

Vulpe 

Primul

Öküz

Yalnız

 

Daniel had skimmed through the Vulpe section a few days ago. The earliest Vulpe was a strategists from the region of Romania who a Sultan from modern day Turkey came to love very much. In an act of friendship and high regard, Vulpe was given land and people to cultivate and help protect it. The land Vuple called Bağlılık which in Turkish means loyalty. It was a trait he and the Sultan shared until the great mans death. Vulpe's loyalty applied as well to his son who became Sultan after him. Bağlılık's ties through the years with Turkey have remained peaceful down to the present and explain the strong Turkish influence on the county.

 

It was a singular story.

 

She flipped to the last section: Yalnız. Turkish meaning alone or lonely. A solitary figure in Bağlılık lore who battled great evils to protect what he loved most. He represents the human struggle between good and evil, the plight of the underdog and the power of love and loyalty. He is in the heart of every Bağlıcau.

 

Daniel flipped a few more pages and froze. There artfully drawn was the scorpion creature from her dream. Every detail coincided with what she remembered. From the two heads to the pedipalps even the faint coloring. It was all there. She stared at it until her eyes watered then blinked and whispered, "Faza you..."

 

"Daniel! Oh there you are." Voda stood in a cotton dress looking confused, "Daniel, you don't look ready at all." 


End Notes:

Things are moving along. What do you think?

Young wolf by Outfielder
Author's Notes:

A little flirting never hurt nobody.

Thanks for your time and hope you enjoy!^^

Young wolf 5

 

Daniel was careening her way along the serpentine mountain road sitting in butter. The driver, Voda, sat totally at ease in the creamy colored Italian leather seats. Large round sunglasses reflected the road before them while her brown tendrils billowed behind. She shifted to a lower gear as they banked into a curvy. So this was what it was like to ride in a million dollar car. A metallic sapphire vintage 1962 Shelby Cobra to be exact. The top had been removed and she could enjoy the panoramic view uninhibited.

 

And what a view it was! 

 

Low lying trees, pines and brush bearded the mountains and hills. The greenery stood in stark contrast with the yellow beige cliffs and jutting crags. Her first peek at the placid deep blue Danube left her agape in awe. There was no beach just a sheer drop to the water. The Carpathian mountains themselves were plentiful stretching for miles in every direction.

 

Daniel closed her eyes and took a big gulp of fresh mountain air.

 

She had not always been this relaxed, quite the contrary. Back in her homestay with Voda standing over her, she had been more than miffed.

 

~~

 

"Voda, what are you doing here?"

 

"Fetching you of course, as I said I would." Voda placed her fingertips to the crescent of her lips, "I did say I would, didn't I?"

 

"Yes," Daniel grunted.

 

"Then, why aren't you ready?" She thrust her hand toward Daniel.

 

Her eyes narrowed, "how do you know where I live?"

 

Voda waved the question away, "we can talk about this later, no?" In one swift motion she grabbed Daniel hoisting her off the floor. "You must get ready or we will be hideously late. The family is probably driving as we speak."

 

"Voda, I don't think I can go."

 

"Why not?"

 

"I have stuff to do."

 

"You mean like read Faza's book?" She motioned toward the item resting on the floor, "bring it with you." Her finishing flourish had much the same effect on Daniel as the French voilà, that is of amused exasperation. Voda's demeanor changed, "don't tell me you lack a bathing suit."

 

Daniel hesitated a second, "that's it, I don't have one, sorry."

 

"This is not a problem, I have extras," Voda thought a minute, "come to think of it, others do too. What type of suit do you prefer?" She whipped out her cell, "bikini, one piece, unitard. I can have them ready and waiting for you to try on." She became animated, "we could have a fashion sh.."

 

"I have one." Daniel marched over to a chest of drawers. The idea of trying on bathing suits in front of strangers decidedly unpalatable.

 

"But you just said you didn't..."

 

"I lied."

 

"Do you not want to come that much?" She sat down on the super single bed. "Do you dislike us Daniel?"

 

She pursed her lips, "you make it sound so negative."

 

"Dislike usually is." Voda countered.

 

Daniel rubbed her forehead, "it's not a matter of dislike Voda, it's more...apprehension."

 

"You are scared of us?"

 

"No. Okay, maybe not the right word. Caution."

 

"You distrust us." Voda's brow sat low.

 

"You all know yourselves to be upstanding guileless people who take in poor nobodies from nowhere all the time. Try and see it from my point of view." She watched Voda take in her words and contemplate.

 

"Okay," she put out her hand, "I do see what you mean, but Daniel we are good people. We like who we like and we waste no time on who we don't. And we like you. Nothing more, nothing less. So come." A smile spread across her face.

 

Much to Daniel's dismay, she liked Voda's honest straightforwardness. She shook her head and began to put a few things in her backpack. Voda clapped her hands and grabbed The Three Princes, "don't forget what you have to do." A mischievousness alighted her feminine features. Daniel snatch the book away and stuffed it in as well before walking out her room. Voda followed grinning.

 

~~

 

Daniel peeled her eyes off the twinkling sunlight on the water's surface, "so how did you know where I lived?"

 

"Oh that, I called BGU." Voda took another curve, easily manipulating the gear shifter with a smile. She turned toward Daniel who found herself gaping at her own reflection in Voda's sunglasses.

 

"They gave you my personal information? Do they not believe in HIPAA laws in this town?"

 

"Daniel, whether or not you stay on campus has nothing do with United States healthcare laws. Besides," Voda shrugged, "my uncle sits on the board."

 

"Figures."

 

"So," there was a pause, "what's up with you and Kurtarıcı?"

 

Daniel looked back as Voda veered off onto another more narrow road. "Nothing, absolutely nothing."

 

"You get along very well."

 

"He's a rough little pup."

 

Voda laughed, "you make him laugh, one of a very few friends I think."

 

"I wouldn't think rich people had problems making friends." They crossed over a dangerously narrow high bridge. A happy little tributary gurgled and clapped its way toward the Danube underneath.

 

"Kurtarıcı is no ordinary rich person. We're here!" The narrow road ended at a gate much like those at a military compound. It lifted open automatically after Voda manipulated a device in the car. They passed now under tall pines and then dipped into a semicircular parking area.

 

"Is this a villa? I thought we were spending an easy day at the river?" Daniel peered at a very wide dome sitting atop several colonnades. Flora burst from the tree line on either side and a narrow strip of grass sat snug to the parking area. Several cars were parked here.

 

"We are. This is our river villa. We come here to relax. Come." Voda took Daniel's hand and pulled her to the large door, it was opened and she halted in astonishment. The whole back of the villa was windows from ceiling to floor. The view was of the river and the cliffs and peeks on the other side. Out back she could see a patio and then the earth seemed to fall away.

 

They descended stairs that cupped along the wall into the main area, the dome covered only the entrance. The wall itself was flanked by a large tank, it's surface lapped at the floor of the entrance and as Daniel descended so did the tank, down 20 feet(6 meters). Taimen, Nile perch, paddlefish, white sturgeons and sting rays cruised along in their artificial habitat. She couldn't get over how big they were.

 

Everyone appeared genuinely happy to see her again. Mir gave her a warm hug, Sevgili commanded someone take her backpack and insisted she sit on the patio and have parsley lemonade. They snickered about Adonia being the projectile, her accidentally tripping Kurt and why she was hesitant to call him Tawny. She noticed he wasn't around, not that she was looking. She mentioned taking tea with Faza. No one reacted out of the ordinary. They talked a little about Putra's history and she highlighted some things she had read in Faza's book.

 

"How does it feel to be a prince?" She asked Sevgili.

 

He shook his head, "I am not a prince Daniel. I merely try to be a good father to my children and husband to my dear wife."

 

"Do not listen to this Bağlıco." Mir looked at him lovingly, "he is a prince among men my dear. He takes care of us all, this city and our country like his father and those before him."

 

"Here, here!" Glasses were touched.

 

"I believe you Mir." Daniel smiled, "in any case, you are the descendent of a prince, The Three Princes says so."

 

"General Öküz Galip was the first to be recognized as such and only after repeatedly putting his life on the line for the throne. Before his battles, he was the bastard son of a shepard. He would say as much himself." Sevgili recounted these things without shame. As always, he commanded respect but tempered with humility. As always, Daniel couldn't help but feel, a deeper presence one that frightened yet intrigued her.

 

She asked for a brief tour of the villa, which she was readily given and then in a moment of solitude, stood on the edge of the patio alone. It might as well have been the edge of the world. The wind blew around the rocks and pulled at her clothes, tangling itself in her hair before moving on to find amusement elsewhere. She leaned over the cement barrier and imagined tumbling down the jagged decline into the calm water.

 

To the right of her there was a path hollowed out of the bluff leading to a building that morphed out of the mountainside. A pier extended out from it over the Danube. A runabout rested to one side, a lone figure scurrying over it to the pier. There it squatted. On the other side, a pontoon.

 

Daniel retrieved her backpack and headed for the tricky stairway down to the water. She hugged the the rocky wall as she gingerly descended taking extra care at the switchback down to what she assumed was akin to a lake house. Once there she peeked through the windows at the modest yet beautiful furnishings then plodded out to the crouching figure. She went to open her mouth and say something clever.

 

"I thought you wouldn't come." He didn't even turn around.

 

She sighed, "I wouldn't have if Voda hadn't been so charming." She looked out over the water.

 

"You were hilarious coming down the steps."

 

"You saw me?"

 

"Couldn't help but."

 

She looked up, "it's steep."

 

"It's not like your hiking to the Tiger's Nest Monastery in Bhutan." He stayed crouched with his back to her. She'd had enough. She picked up a small pebble and shied it at him. It collided with a plunk in the topmost back of his head. "Ow! What the..." He stood and whirled around.

 

"Oh look, it's his face," she pointed, "unshaven."

 

"...hell is wrong with you?"

 

"Back at you. How can you have a whole conversation with someone without saying hello?" Much glaring took place between the two before he rolled his eyes rubbing the back of his head.

 

"Hello Daniel." His hand dropped and he leveled a gaze on her that made her falter back a smidgen.

 

She recovered quickly, "hello pup."

 

"Daniel."

 

"As long as you keep acting like a pup, you get called a pup. So, whatcha doing?" She leaned to see what was behind him.

 

"Getting the runabout ready for a ride." He gestured to the small mahogany vessel bobbing silently in the water. It's varnished auburn finish gleamed in the sunlight. It was narrow with most of its length in the aft. Four people could sit somewhat comfortably in it, the seats and upholstery were aquamarine while the finishing and hardware where metal.

 

"It's exquisite."

 

"It's a Hacker Boat Company original from Lake George, New York. I went, ordered it and brought it back myself." His animation pleased Daniel. She turned to him.

 

"Is it ready? Can we go?"

 

Surprised, he gathered his equipment quickly, "yeah, sure. Let me put this in the back." He hopped in the back seat and opened two doors at centerline like hatches. "Take your shoes off."

 

"Oh," she sat on the pier and slipped off her sneaks then washed her feet off in the cool water. He demanded her backpack. Next he had her untie a fasting rope astern then forward. He delicately eased it up close to the pier so she could reach then offered a hand as she attempted to overstep starboard. His touch was warm, strong and a bit more callous than she imagined it would be. She held tightly to him as she came to rest. He didn't let go until she was more sure of herself.

 

He slowly eased them away from the pier then increased throttle propelling them out into the center of the water. Daniel lifted her arms into the air then watched the villa recede behind them. She donned her sunglasses and enjoyed the peace and their comfortable silence. After a while he let her behind the wheel to give a quick lesson on the basics of boating. She tried to sink them once sending Kurt into the back seats. She apologized profusely as she reached for him. Once he righted himself, they laugh and relived the moment before he bound back over the backrest into the front seats. He assured an importuned Daniel he was fine and set about patiently continuing her lesson. 

 

As she got the hang of it, he gave her more space and leeway. He eventually took over and they snuggled the waterline examining the sharp incline of the cliffs and the steadfast flora growing out of its crevices. As they returned, Daniel marveled at the villa, like the lake house, it budded out of the cliff. It looked to be much larger than she at first thought.

 

The family was gathered at the lake house preparing to eat aboard the pontoon. She ran for a quick change and joined them as the craft maneuvered out on the water and anchored. An assortment of foods and beverages were laid out and the family took as it wanted. Voda decided it was time for she and Daniel to swim so they chucked their shorts and dived in. They frolicked and swam, even the little ones strapped in floatation devices.

 

A Banana boat was brought out and kayaks. Sevgili guided them as they made their way down river and back pointing out a variety of wildlife. As darkness fell, the instruments were unsheathed and singing accompanied the melodies. Daniel lay on the pier outside staring up at the moon. Someone shuffled near.

 

"Want a beer?" She felt him crouch near.

 

"Sure." She stuck out her hand and a cold glass bottle was put in it. She hoisted herself up and took a thirsty gulp while he settled in beside her. "Thank you."

 

"You're welcome."

 

"Say, do you think we could go out in the runabout one more time?"   

 

"Absolutely." And so they found themselves adrift in the moonlight. Daniel lounged atop the wooden aft, while Kurt slouched in the back seats.

 

"You know, you really have something here." She cradled the back of her head in her hands. A battery of percussion reached out to them from the lake house.

 

"I know."

 

"I would never want to leave." 

 

"We can stay as long as you want." Daniel slowly stretched her hand out. It was immediately grazed by his.

 

"I just told Voda nothing was going on between us." She slid the palm of her hand against his.

 

"Nothing is going on." Their fingers tangled together slowly. The masterful fingering of a guitar pelted the atmosphere.

 

"I'd hardly call this nothing," she breathed. There was silence. The runabout ebbed, the water licking at its fiberglass hull.

 

"This would be something."

 

Daniel tilted her head to see what he meant and found only that she had offered her lips to him. He wasted no time in taking them and there he held them captive. It was a slow painstakingly glorious kiss. No tongue, no pulling or tugging just the arrest. When all the air had left her lungs, he lifted letting them go. She felt his nose cozy to hers and then his heat left her.

 

"But since we aren't doing that, there is nothing between us."

 

She inhaled deeply then let it seep out. "Okay, you've graduated to young wolf."

 

They chuckled together before silence overtook them once more. Their fingers still laced together.


End Notes:

a little calm - a little storm.

What are your thoughts?

Whispers on the wind by Outfielder
Author's Notes:

Next installment is up. I've made some corrections to previously chapters as well. Sorry for the errors.

Thank you to all who have reviewed and to you for sticking with this story. ^^

Whispers on the wind 6

 

Daniel had no idea how long they drifted until Kurt took them to shore for fear of the cool mountain air hovering humid on the water. She didn't protest. The runabout was sheltered and they began the steep climb back to the villa. Kurt lead the way with her holding on to the bottom edge of his shirt. They hadn't said much after the kiss-that-wasn't-happening. But then Kurt didn't say much anyway. 

 

As they took the last step, they noticed Sevgili and Mir sitting on the patio. Daniel let go of his shirt. If he noticed, he kept silent.

 

"You made it back." Mir waved to them, "we began to wonder about you."

 

"It is quite late. We have decided to stay the night here. How does that suit you Daniel?" Sevgili stood.

 

"I have class tomorrow."

 

"Oh dear." Mir looked at her husband.

 

"Don't worry, it's my own fault. I should have kept better track of time."

 

"I'll take you back in the morning." Kurt announced and Daniel nodded.

 

"There is food in the kitchen and then you must go to bed." Mir gently pushed Kurt towards the house. He nodded and placing his hand in the middle of Daniel's back, walked them to the house. The large tank glowed as the fish languidly made there way from one end to the other. She followed him to a room dimly lit kitchen. Two covered trays sat on an island with a small Dutch oven. Tomato and cheese on a zesty baguette, hot lentil and red potato stew and spring salad. Kurt opened a bottle of wine.

 

"Do you like it?"

 

"It's heavenly, but I have yet to have a bad meal in this country." She scooped up some anchovy dressing on her cherry tomato and popped it in her mouth. Kurt refilled both their glasses with wine.

 

"What do you want most in the world Daniel?"

 

"To be free." She began to spin the stem of the wineglass between two fingers. When she looked up, Kurt wore a slightly pained expression, but then it was gone.

 

"Are you?" He received a shrug in response, "you've been all over the world."

 

"Except Africa."

 

He nodded, "except Africa. Do you feel free?"

 

"Not really." She responded quietly looking off to the left. She downed what was left of her wine and rose. Regarding him openly, she felt he looked much like a sad little boy. She smoothed the collar of his v-neck and he gently placed his hand over hers. A sad little boy she wanted desperately to snog at the moment. Her eyes dropped to his lips and she frowned. "I should go to bed."

 

He looked at her questioningly, but led her through the house behind the grand stairway to a room on an upper landing. He stood at the door as she closed it gently. Daniel then pressed all her weight onto it. What the hell was wrong with her? Windows lined the opposite wall, but were now draped with curtains. On the queen bed were a plush white robe, night shirt and shorts that looked like something out of a twenty-something B movie, a towel and face cloth, toothbrush and facial cleansing products. It had Voda written all over it. She moved passed the bed and pushing the curtain aside, looked out into the star speckled night sky.

 

Bellow her, lights still burned on the patio. She slid open a few windows for air and turned to scoop up the items on the bed and take a bath. The hot water and the wine brought on drowsiness and she was able only to fumble into the night clothes before collapsing onto the bed.

 

She stood in her filmy night gown again, but this time in the mountains among the pines. It was light out but whether dusk or dawn she couldn't tell. She explored her surroundings. The bark felt rough as she slid her hand down the trunks, the needles crackled softly underfoot. She crawled over and squeezes through crags taking care with her bare feet. At one point she stood up on the rock and looked out over the range. Something scuttled behind her and she turned to see what it was. On her hands and knees, she crouched closer her eyes trying to make anything of the shadows.

 

Then a furry brown head popped out. It was a cute little fox. Hesitant, it took a few steps and stopped, one leg held daintily in the air sniffed at her. She held out her hand but it backed away. Deciding to leave it be, she sat back on her haunches and sighed. Giving it one last glance she stood and began walking again. A gust of wind galloped over the peeks and Daniel twisted to shield herself from the debris in its wake. The fox stood a short distance away. It faked to one side and looked behind before watching her again. It's whiskers twitched. She again tried interacting with it, but it pranced away.

 

Her wondering took her through the mountains to earthy hills. Here the pines changed to a greater variety of trees and other plants appeared. All the while the fox scampered around behind her ducking if she showed it the least attention. Eventually she sat on a fallen tree to inspect her bare feet and looking up noticed the fox again, but it had grown sizably. It now stared blankly at her. She felt uneasy and stood. It crouched as if to spring and she backed away then started running. It was clearly faster than her sometimes running ahead or beside her through the trees. As her body heated the fox burst in color.

 

It's amber pelt became licks of fire. It's eyes sparkled gold. As they ran side by side they locked gaze. Daniel picked up speed through the brush. She felt exhilaration. The forest ceased and she leapt out over a cliff. The fox leapt after her and splashed into her body. As she fell she waxed amber, her eyes sparkled gold and her body ignited. She gasped at the pain as she fell listless down, down...

 

".....are you sure...."

 

Whispers, who?

 

"....has the relic...."

 

She dragged her hand across her sopping wet neck.

 

"....the time....and you...."

 

Falling, falling.

 

"....feel....with her...."

 

Her heart called to Kurtarıcı.

 

"....leave....to you...."

 

Falling.

 

"....my son...."

 

Daniel twisted feverishly in her sleep. She was so hot. She felt something soft and cool on her forehead. It moved to her neck. It was so refreshing she touched it and it turned under her hand soft yet calloused. She tried opening her eyes but could see nothing. Rather, she felt a familiar presence near and a few more further away.

 

Warm light filled the room before she drifted down the mighty blue river. The cool water caressed her skin. She drifted an amber beacon down the river.

 

~~

 

Daniel blinked in the morning light. Her body felt heavy yet alert. She untangled herself from her covering and sat up. After surveying the room she remembered where she was. The villa. Crawling off the bed she padded to the bathroom, nature called. Passing the mirror she glanced at herself. Wait, had her hair grown? It now hung in tiny dark brown ringlets an inch past her shoulders. There was a glint in her brown eyes she hadn't noticed before. As she touched her nose she noticed her nails. The nail bed was longer than she remembered.

 

God she had to pee!

 

After a quick shower she ventured out of her room. The villa was bright and she could hear laughter. As she descended from the landing a few family members called good morning. She happily replied. As she crossed in front of the tank she stopped. Turning around all the fish were behind her, they eased back peering. She took a few steps forward, they followed then a few steps more before turning around again. They back peddled.

 

"What's with the fish?" She asked as someone passed.

 

"Don't know." Then he ran at them and jumped around, they stared at his idiocy. "Seem normal to me."

 

She then saw Kurt, Sevgili, Voda and Mir sitting out on the patio and headed in their direction. As she exited the house Voda stood.

 

"Do not be upset Daniel. We knocked on your door several times. Mir even peeked in. You were dead to the world."

 

"It's okay. I must have needed the rest I feel so much better this morning." Everyone smiled at her.

 

"Excellent." Sevgili clasped his hands in satisfaction.

 

"I'll bring you something to eat." Kurt rose his face a bit rosy.

 

"I can get it..."

 

"No doubt, but you're gonna sit and I'm bringing you food." He smirked at her.

 

"Did you get sunburn yesterday?" She reached for his face.

 

He looked startled, "maybe," he moved away from her, "have a seat, I'll be right back."

 

She ate leisurely and listened to them talk business and politics. Neither interested her very much. Instead she observed Mir. She literally basked in her husbands glory. She watched him closely, adding to the conversation at intervals. She fixed him another coffee and showered him with subtle acts of affection. Mir occupied herself with her son as well. She ruffled his hair, wiped his face with a napkin and laughed at his words, which were plentiful this morning Daniel noted. Mir with her straw colored shoulder length hair, golden eyes and soft pink lips.

 

Suddenly those golden eyes were upon her. Despite the electricity that coursed through her veins, Daniel smiled. Mir lowered her head slightly and directed her gaze to her husband.

 

Shortly thereafter, Daniel waved to everyone as Kurt drove away from the house. This time, she waved out the passenger side window of a mercury 1996 Aston Martin DB7. Rich people and their toys. Melancholy arrested her mind as they passed under the gate. She felt like she was leaving her home, which was ridiculous because her home was thousands of miles away. They sped over the bridge and up the narrow dive until they reached the main road. The car surged forward and Kurt flew through the gears to his speed of choice, which could not be described as cautious.

 

Daniel payed no attention. She detested side seat drivers. Instead she focused on the smooth hum of the engine. The morning wind was just beginning to heat and it felt so comfortable. Her eyes drifted closed. She pivoted her head against the rest and let them slowly open. They flickered over Kurt. His deep blue denims hugged his thighs and his washed silk v-neck gave her a good look at the center points of his collarbone and upper sternum. His hand lazily gripped the steering wheel, an elbow perched on the door. His jaw was shaven smooth and his hair unkempt.

 

The corner of his mouth tilted upward, "is there something on my face?" His square sunglasses sat high on his nose, behind them, his eyes trained on the winding road.

 

"Just that impish grin." She turned away with an eye roll.

 

"Pray continue, I don't mind you staring at me."

 

"I was not staring." She smiled involuntarily.

 

"What constitutes a stare anyway?"

 

"Thirty seconds."

 

"No way, three." He glanced at her. After a moments silence,"you sure you're feeling okay?"

 

"Yup," she stretched, "well aside from the nagging guilt of skipping class."

 

"Seriously?"

 

"One should try ones best to fulfill ones commitments."

 

He shook his head, "duly noted."

 

Conversation was sparse during the drive, but it gave Daniel time to take in her surroundings. They dropped out of the mountains into the hills. Suburban communities sprang up more frequently. They passed over the euro railway and finally entered the Putra city limits. She was so wrapped up in the changing scene she didn't notice they were going the wrong way until they breached the old town walls.

 

"Where are we going?"

 

"I want to show you something." He eased off the throttle.

 

"I have class this afternoon."

 

"It wouldn't be good to discriminate against the morning class. Skipping the whole lot is only fare." Somehow she couldn't be upset.

 

"You're a bad influence young wolf." He crossed over the ring road. "I thought cars weren't allowed."

 

"They aren't, but mine is."

 

"Figures."

 

This produced a chuckle, "why are you so against wealth and privilege?"

 

"I'm not," she protested, "it's just so foreign to me. There is such an obvious demarcation between the 'haves' and 'have nots'. It's troubling."

 

"She said, who has traveled all over the world."

 

"On a dime my friend. Not even the luxury of business class, much less Aston Martins and Shelby Cobras."

 

"But it's still more than ninety percent of the world's population," he parked and engaged the emergency brake, "which makes you one of the 'haves'. My friend." He lifted out of the car and Daniel did the same.

 

"The poorer 'haves'."

 

"Minutiae." 

 

She huffed. He had parked the car directly in front of a stately building. Daniel recognized it to be one of the two she had spotted on her first foray into old town. Pedestrians ogled them as he lead her up marble stairs to an ornately columned porch and through an arch entranceway. People buzzed around inside gathering for tours and taking advantage of the restroom. There was a café were visitors huddled and waited in line at on extremity and a souvenir shop where they milled about at the other.

 

He turned around, "this is the Supreme Court building. They adjourn upstairs." Two large stairways led to an upper floor. Both were guarded by security kiosks. "This floor is like a living museum. It gives an historical account of Bağlılık through the eyes of its people. Bağlıcau from all over the country generously lent artifacts and stories that play out here on a daily basis. This is for our visitors and our youth."

 

Daniel wallowed in his passion and pride spellbound.

 

"You, Daniel Winters," he pointed at her, "are about to experience Bağlılık."


End Notes:

New developments, yes.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Reprimand by Outfielder
Author's Notes:

Things get a little sticky.

Thank you for staying until chapter 7. ^^

Reprimand 7

 

"Bayım Öküz!" A gentleman rushed towards them.

 

"They call you Sir?" Daniel whispered.

 

"It's better than boss," Daniel's brow rose in realization and he winced. Diverting his attention, Kurt shook the gentleman's hand, "Ethan, how are things going?"  

 

"Wonderful! I have notes from the last meeting, would like to review them Bayım?" He looked expectant.

 

"No, I brought my friend, Ms. Winters, here for a tour." He introduced them. Ethan regarded her curiously.

 

"Do you have a guide in mind or should I recommend one?"

 

"I do have one in mind..."

 

"Good."

 

"...me." Kurt escorted her forward with his hand in the middle of her back. Ethan quickly masked his surprised expression and followed. He hailed employees and whispered instructions. Much scurrying took place. They stepped into a dark cylinder shaped room. The wall slid around blocking the entrance and opening an exit. They were transported to another time as they stepped out to the beginning of Bağlılık. A thick line marked the center of the floor. It was ticked at years and certain events.

 

As they meandered down the timeline actors dressed in period clothing interacted with each other and them. She saw how they cultivated the land, engaged in war, survived epidemics, protected the ecosystem, married, migrated and died. She had a front row seat to its political and cultural evolution, it's stand through World War I and II and its legal battles. All of this through Kurt's narration, stories told and preformed, interactive kiosks and displays. It ended in 2015 still struggling to maintain its individuality and preserve its heritage despite neighboring nations and ever changing trends.

 

It wasn't the story of the royal family or the three princes. It didn't deify any one particular person. Preference was not given to the privileged. It was the story of the people and their ideals. It was the story of their love for their land and all those in her. It was the story of loyalty and courage. It wasn't so patriotic as it was personal. It was the human story like Daniel had never seen before and she could comprehend Kurt's pride in Bağlılık.

 

She also saw Kurt in his element for the first time. He had never been so animated, so authoritative, so passionate and so commanding as he was guiding her through the winding timeline of the museum. He had encouraged her to ask question and to challenge the actors. He watched patiently as she interacted with the kiosks and was attentive and informative as she perused the displays.

 

They had entered to the right of the two large staircases leading to the second floor, wound their way around the spacious museum and now exited to the left of the staircases. A tour group was stepping into the cylinder room. After careful deliberation, they decided to have a late lunch and enjoy the old town. Satisfied, Kurt gingerly solicited her hand, first touching her pinky then, upon her acceptance, wrapping his fingers around her whole hand. 

 

Daniel felt giddy as he gazed down on her in admiration.

 

~~

 

She spent the next days busy with classes and projects especially due to her truancy. Classmates had sent her notes and assignments at her request so she wouldn't be behind. Who knew missing one day could be so bothersome. But she was not disturbed. During her next free afternoon, she decided to fill Faza in on her trip to the villa. Peddling through the the forest she felt a low rumble in her chest and slid to a stop, her knit skirt flapping in the breeze. She ran a hand up her arm and over the thin strap of her tank top. Ill at ease she remembered the dinner at Kurt's home. As quickly as it came, it went. She glance around before easing back on the seat and moving on.

 

Outside The Human Story she left her bike and entered with a familiar jingle. Faza wasn't the one to greet her however. A studious looking woman in her twenties walked around the counter.

 

"Hello and welcome. May I assist you?"

 

"Is Faza here?" Daniel made a sweep of the shop.

 

"Faza?" The woman frowned.

 

"Yes, I'd like to talk to him."

 

"I'm sorry, but Faza..."

 

"Daniel, my dear." His voice boomed from the stairs. "Come, come." He waved her up then disappeared himself.

 

"Why can't he ever wait for me?" Daniel whined and headed up the stairs after him much to the surprise of the shop assistant. She followed his noise to the room they had taken tea in before. He was moving some papers about with his back to her as she entered.

 

"I can't imagine why I didn't know you would come today."

 

"Because I have concealed her presence." A husky voice answered from behind. 

 

Faza spun around to see Daniel's eyes smolder a golden brown. She then floated a few inches from the floor. Burnt sienna tribal makings seeped out on the earthy latte surface of her arms and legs while freckles of the same color dotted her jaw rising up her hairline. Charcoal liner slid around her eyes and her hair became lustrous and full. Her clothes morphed into a shift. Gauzy material capped the curve of her shoulder, plunged to a seductive V between her breasts and fell to her feet. A slit rose to the gap between her thighs. Her feet remained bare.

 

Faza's papers slid from his fingers to litter the floor. Glancing around he moved to the windows and closed the shutters then the door to the room. He then dropped to his knees before her, put his hand together at his forehead and hunched his shoulders.

 

"Raise your head Faza of Dalibor. The pledge of your blood has been remembered. Raise your head and speak."

 

"How can I please you Caninae?" He stayed as he was.

 

"Tell me why my vessel knows nothing of me."

 

"I am unworthy to answer. It is a question better put to the gods."

 

"Raise your head I say. I find no pleasure in your prostrations." She spoke with such force Faza had no choice. She was indeed unhappy.

 

"As you wish Caninae." He moved to stand.

 

"But do not stand before me. I am displeased."

 

"We are all shocked I assure you. May I ask, does the vessel displease you?"

 

"No," Daniel glided to the shuttered windows looking through them to the clueless humans bellow, "she is compassion, curiosity, integrity and honesty. Her mind is independent, intelligent, courageous and observant. She fits the criteria for my vessel. More to the point, she is bound by nothing in this world and her desire is for Yalnız." She focused on Faza once more, "but she is vulnerable."

 

"She has the relic to protect her." Faza offered.

 

"But she does not posses it at all times."

 

"Surely during the day..."

 

"The Dalibor blood has grown weak." Faza responded by lowering his eyes to the floor. "Her presence is known to them. I am not the first to visit her. Buthidae, the two head scorpion appeared. And He calls to her."

 

"How?"

 

"Twice it has occurred, the latter while coming to you just now. This is why her presence was concealed to you."

 

"They wish to destroy the vessel."

 

"Or corrupt it. Initiate her training. If another beast comes forth, I can take over and fight for her, but the damage to the vessel will be substantial. It is better for her to learn to assimilate as quickly as possible."

 

"Yes."

 

"You have been slow. Yalnız appears to waver as well. I have shielded her from remembering our convergence to give you time. Your time has expired."

 

"I will amend the situation I have caused."

 

She crossed to him and her features finally softening, "raise to you feet Faza of Dalibor." She watched him rise, "do not be disheartened by my words. Your service is faithful and steadfast. You maintain the favor of the gods." She lifted her hands above his head and white sparks of light cascaded upon him. He took a deep breath and exhaled a dark vapor. "Good health to you."

 

She absorbed the vapor then settled on the floor. Slowly the markings faded as well as the liner. The clothes morphed back and her eye color deepened.

 

The human Daniel gazed back at him in distress. "Faza?" She slumped into his arms.

 

~~

 

Daniel awoke to the crackling of fire. Her eyelids flexuous fought to contract and remain open. They roamed the murky room as she lay flaccid on her back. The earth itself pressed her into the mattress beneath. Her mind opened to her convergence with Caninae and she whimpered. Remembering the whispers and the familiar presence, she gasped for air.

 

Calm yourself Daniel. You have nothing to fear.

 

She cried out, her back arched from the bed as pain seared her cranium. Light pierced the room as a door flew open and a figure rushed towards her.

 

You must attain tranquility.

 

"Daniel." Kurt pulled her into his arms.

 

"It hurts..."

 

"Yes."

 

"...and I can't move..."

 

"Give yourself some time." He cradled her head under his chin.

 

"...and there's a...a voice."

 

"Breathe with me Daniel." He began to take slow deep breaths and she did her best to keep up with him. They found a rhythm and she began to calm.

 

Excellent Daniel.

 

She tensed.

 

"Don't falter, just, let it flow." She was able to lift her arms around his torso and squeeze.

 

"What's happening to me Kurt?" She muffled in his chest.

 

"Tawny, you'd best leave her to me."

 

"Mother..."

 

"I know my son."

 

As hard as she tried, Daniel could not hold on to him as he reluctantly retreated. She could however, sit up and watch him slowly back away then turn leave. Mir turned on a lamp as he closed the door then stationed herself in front of Daniel and sank to the floor bending both legs to one side. Clasping her hands together she put them to her forehead and bowed her head. Daniel felt it coming this time, the prickly sensation. She breathed through it, yet her mouth opened and another voice proceeded from her throat.

 

"Raise your head Mir, we are of the same skulk."

 

"I am but your kit Caninae."

 

"I am well pleased with you."

 

Daniel's eyes gathered tears as audience to this greeting. How long must she endure this paranormal ventriloquism?

 

Do not let yourself feel helpless. In the end it is you who will control all.

 

"Allow me to assist the vessel," Mir continued unknowingly, "myself and Nana."

 

"Nana, the vessel has grown old, but is still worthy. Lift your head my child." Mir obeyed. "Do as you have spoken." Again there was a prickly sensation and Daniel felt herself again. Mir reached up and gently wiped the water from her eyes.

 

"I am so sorry it had to turn out this way. I know the vexation of being a vessel, but I was more prepared for it than you, my dear." She lifted herself from the floor and the bed sagged as she sat in front of Daniel. "You see," Daniel allowed her to arrange her wayward curls, "you are the first to be chosen who knows nothing about Caninae."

 

"I don't understand."

 

"Yes, well the first thing to do is get you food. You've been asleep for three days. Let me help you up." Daniel, eager to move despite the bazaar situation, leaned on Mir who helped her remove her legs from the bed and stand. With Mir as crutch, she ambled around the room. She was left to bathe and dress on her own.

 

She stood in the spacious bath draped in a towel arms wrapped tight around a body that was no longer hers. Her hair dripped water down her shoulders and neck. The shower had been so hot she radiated a red hue. Finally, her eyes lifted to the mirror in fear of what they would see. It was she. Same eyes. Same nose and lips. Same slim neck, prominent collar bones and square shoulders. Same high cheekbones, slight indention in her chin and mole under her right eye.  

 

But there was something else there.

 

We are not separate, but one.

 

Daniel slowly shut her eyes, then turned away. She shrugged into the undergarments and loose linen dress waiting for her then quietly opened the door to her last sanctuary. The setting was yet another unfamiliar room, the players Faza and Kurt. The audience Mir, Sevgili and Voda.

 

"I should have never invited her to lunch." Kurt glared at Faza defiant.

 

"It was fate."

 

"How could the gods do this? How could they hurl an innocent woman in the midst of our conflict? It is ours and ours alone!" He thrust an angry finger towards the floor. "Is that not what we pledged with our blood?"

 

"It does no use being angry with the gods. It will not loose Caninae and Daniel from each other."

 

"Is there any way to pry us apart?" Everyone turned at Daniel's hollow voice.

 

"Daniel you must be feeling quite confused." Faze started towards her.

 

"And hungry. I'll get you something to eat." Voda stood.

 

She looked around the room, "I do not need your sympathy." Her dull eyes fell on Voda, "I do not desire something to eat," and she shrunk back from Faza, "but most of all I do not want you to touch me!" Her screeched words echoed through the room, raked over its inhabitants and stopped Faza in his tracks. She held his gaze her voice low, "you're a liar. You're all liars." She thrust out her hand. "You all lied to me!"

 

How could they lie about what they did not know?

 

"They knew. At some point, they all knew."

 

Daniel.

 

"Shut up. Get out, get out of me!" She thrashed around beating on her head and pulling her hair. Kurt closed in to calm her hysterics. Before anyone knew what happened, she reared back her open hand and slapped him with so much force his head jerked. They both stared at each other stricken until Daniel couldn't take it anymore and ran away from him. How could she? She had never in her life done such a thing. With tears clouding her vision and embarrassment and regret overwhelming her senses, she slammed into Sevgili. His arms closed around her pinning her to his strong body.

 

"Daniel you are angry and you have every right to be." His voice gentle, his grip unyielding against her struggling. "You will doubt me when I say I understand what you are going through."

 

"Let me go."

 

"But you are only hurting yourself now."

 

"Let..." Her strength began to collapse.

 

"You are shredding your own soul and its bleeding heavily."

 

"...go."

 

"Please Daniel, please let us help you."

 

Such humble gentleness, his heart beat rapidly in his chest. He was disturbed, disturbed for her? She broke down into sobs, wailing sobs. She cried for everything she had lost and everything she would continue to lose in Sevgili's kind arms.


End Notes:

I wonder if shouldn't have categorized this as alternate universe.

Anyways, what do you think of her reaction? Realistic?

Who I am by Outfielder
Author's Notes:

Sorry for the wait. I had a business trip :(

Thank for taking the time to read and also for the reviews. It's nice to get feedback.

Enjoy!

Who I am 8

 

The clouds hanging over Putra were heavy and dense. Daniel looked up at them from her new accommodations at the Öküz mansion. On clear days, her room was charmingly bright and airy. The tiny mosaic patterns that littered the walls were blue and honey dew with mandarin accents. In it was everything to satisfy her needs and her desires, if she'd had any. Ceiling to floor windows designed to capture every drop of sunlight graced a full wall. Today however, everything was grey, just like Daniel.

 

She had yet to recover from the realizations associated with her predicament. Voda she tolerated with silent compliance. Mir she had affection for and so obeyed without protest, but was subdued. Sevgili was always a source of great encouragement and kindness. Her respect for him deepened with each encounter. 

 

Faza...Faza she would say she despised if she could, but she couldn't. His betrayal was bitter to her heart. He kept a watchful eye on she and Kurt's training and progress. He pushed and lectured adroitly, but she caught glimpses of his troubled reaction to rejection at times. Kurt was a different story all together. She had disgraced him in front of everyone when he tried to help her. She had stung him badly. She should beg forgiveness yet she avoided him whenever possible. Surely he was tired of her now. Annoyed with her antics, wished that she only fulfill her duty as the vessel of Caninae.

 

After crying until nothing was left that day, she had gone along with Mir and Voda to provide her body sustenance. Mir had been extremely patient. Voda uncharacteristically quiet. Mir had begun filling in the gaps.

 

Caninae is a fox demigod of the goddess of love Freya. Caninae herself has 'kits' which she creates according to the will of the gods. Mir, Nana and most of the mates of the bloodline of Yalnız were vessels of Caninae's 'kits'. They are called kits after the offspring of foxes. Daniel was different. She was the vessel of Caninae herself, making her selection as a foreigner rather unexpected.

 

As to the convergence, this took place when a chosen vessel was assimilated with one of Caninae's kits. A vessel was always chosen by the gods and there has only been one vessel to defy them. She did not love the bloodline of Yalnız and she was condemned by the gods. She was Faza's wife Enin. Daniel had the right to choose condemnation as well if she wished. With her emotions riotous and mind wondering purposeless, Daniel wasn't sure which was worse, condemnation or imprisonment.

 

You are not imprisoned Daniel.

 

"How can you possibly say that?" Daniel had gotten used to Caninae's voice through training with Mir. She had gotten used to many things about Caninae over the last few weeks.

 

There is nothing you can not do, nowhere you can not venture.

 

"I can't believe I'm going to say this but, what about the will of the gods?"

 

Of course we must fulfill it.

 

"What is it exactly?"

 

Destruction and repression of those the gods have denounced as unworthy.  

 

"Des...I don't understand at all." Her head thudded back against the window frame where she sat.

 

How can you not understand. You have met Buthidae.

 

"Buthidae?"

 

The two headed scorpion beast. He attempted to take your life.

 

Daniel's eyes rounded, "you mean in my dream? But that was just..."

 

He meant to destroy my vessel before convergence. 

 

Daniel's hand began to shake as she held her thumb to her lips, "I have to kill that?" There was silence. "I can't do that!" She sprung to her feet, "not to mention...it was real?" She squatted in the floor and whispered, "I'm going to die, I might as well defy the gods."

 

Who do you think I am? Caninae's words raged within her mind. Daniel held her head.

 

"I don't know you!"

 

Fare enough. Then I will show you.

 

Instantaneously, Daniel found herself hovering near the ceiling in a large open gym. Her stomach churned at the involuntary suspension. But her attention was soon drawn to the two people grunting and barking down on the ground. They wielded swords as they lunged and pushed each other across the floor. Neither wore a shirt and their muscles flexed and retracted, gliding smoothly under their sweaty glistening skin.

 

"Kurtarcını! You fool you are dangerously distracted!" He swung his weapon and whacked Kurt in the side of his torso who then flopped down on his butt. "And I just sliced you open like a piece of raw meat." He caught his breath, "probably severed your spine too." 

 

Kurt sat hunched and labored of breath with his eyes on the floor.

 

His companion looked at him with expectation, then rolled his eyes and began to turn around, "for the love of God, why have you summoned me here Tawny?" Still nothing. "If I had been even a minor dark beast, I'd be chewing on your heart about now."

 

"I'm sorry."

 

"And all of this hunching of the shoulders and walking around like death warmed over for a girl. Does she posses a velveteen vice for a p..."

 

His companion was lifted completely off the ground by a smoldering Kurt. He was flung an inhuman amount of feet back where he collided with the wall. Kurt launched after him in the air and landing astride him, held his neck flush to the wall. "You watch. Your. Words Benoît. I don't care if you are the blood of Primul, I will drag you to the gates of hell and throw you in myself." They flared at each other eyes combative then Benoît's countenance changed and a smile spread across his handsome face.

 

He lifted his hand, "where was this passion when we fought? This is the blood of Yalnız!" He smacked Kurt in the shoulder and laughed triumphant. Kurt shrugged him off and left him.

 

"She hates me."

 

"Then she's a fool." He waved it away.

 

Kurt turned and glared, "Benoît she is not. She is." He rubbed his hands together, "she is wonderful. When I first saw her I got goosebumps, me. She's...but she has Caninae. It's all my fault."

 

"This is exactly what I hate about the gods. It's not your fault. Whether you had invited her to lunch or not they would have united you somehow. Though the way it happened sounds very amusing." Kurt laughed in response. "This is the gods being all godlike. This is deadly dull and boring," he whined mockingly, "no one is miserable. Let's make it interesting by choosing a chick from Canada..."

 

"United States."

 

"...to liven things up a bit. Trip him up. Give him a silly name..."

 

"Really, I don't see what's so bad about the name Kurt." Daniel whispered.

 

"...bash him with a stone." He laughed

 

"It was a pebble you idiot." Kurt chuckled.

 

"Sink his pride and joy in the Danube." Benoît fell backwards in hysterics at the one.

 

"I really like her." Kurt sighed, "she's the only woman I've ever liked this much and she won't even look at me."

 

Benoît let silence fall, "what about Tina?" Kurt reached for something to throw.

 

That is enough.

 

"What? No wait. Who's Tina?" Daniel flailed her arms and legs to stay but found herself in a wooded area.

 

Did you not see the strength of Yalnız? You will fight with him and for him.


A strange sensation trickled through Daniel's body. Her eyes darted through the trees.

 

You have sensed it.

 

A few seconds after, something stepped in their path. It reminded Daniel of a prehistoric ostrich. Scales covered its head but for a few feathers at the top. Large claws protruded from is talons and arms. One eye inspected Daniel before it twisted its head and peered at her with the other. It bared its sharp teeth. A thick scaly tail thumped the ground and it let out a raspy cry.

 

"What's going on Caninae?"

 

I'm using you as bait. This is a dark beast.

 

"Excuse me?"

 

You eat like a bird. It is not enough to sustain you let alone us both. I am hungry. 

 

It took a stealthy step. "Oh god."  

 

Recede and allow me to dominate you and I will show you who I am.

 

Daniel wasn't sure how, but she felt Caninae come forth and she 'stepped aside'. Her body became buoyant and her nails extended. Her depth of sight increased and sharpened and her mouth broadened. The beast dipped its head and began to charge. Caninae waited until the last moment then jumped and flipping over sunk her claws in the beast's back. It squawked as it moved away one of its wings hanging damaged. Caninae barreled at it. It tried to stand its ground by swinging it heavy tail, but she easily evaded and latching on to its broken wing with her teeth, ripped it form the beast's body.

 

With the claws of her feet she lacerated its belly. It snapped its teeth at her trying to get her off but it was no use. It cried in fear and pain. As it went down she grabbed its head and twisted it around pulling it right out of the neck. After a few spasms the carcass sagged and she dropped the head to the ground. Dark vapor rose from its remains and Caninae absorbed it. As she did, Daniel felt her own energy increase, her mind sharpen and her muscles loosen.

 

Now you see who I am. Fear me and know, you do not fight in your strength alone.

 

Daniel was trembling inside Caninae. The scene was both horrific and exhilarating. Caninae fed off its fear, fear she purposely inflicted. She felt its desperation, it's desire to live, but she also felt its hatred and desire to be the one to destroy the vessel.

 

Do not pity the beast Daniel. It would not reciprocate. It would tare you apart and consume your life spirit with relish. Remember this, if we do not destroy them this is how it will be for all humanity.

 

Daniel couldn't stop trembling. How could she do this. She didn't like squashing roaches, and she hated roaches. She swerved around squirrels and stopped traffic to move turtles out of the street. What could she possibly contribute to Caninae? Why had she been chosen? 

 

Now, I will feast.

 

"But you absorbed the dark vapor."

 

An appetizer. The life force is but a part of its energy. You may wish to block it. 

 

Daniel shut her eyes on instinct more than in obedience. She heard the sound of bones splitting and cracking and chewing. She then tried to think of something, anything to drown out the sound of flesh being torn apart and consumed. This was happening in her body. Her hands where ripping, her arms pulling it apart. Her body gaining sustenance. She curled up inside of Caninae and wished to be completely numb. 

 

Finally, it came, the silent bliss of unconsciousness.

 

~~

 

It took a day to get over the incident with the dark beast. Not because of any stress to her body, but her mind. It had been stuffed in a blender and puréed. She couldn't fathom why the gods would think she was capable of ingesting all that happened and maintain her sanity. But maintain it she had...barely.


End Notes:

What do you think of Caninae?

Nana by Outfielder
Author's Notes:

Here we go with the next chapter. As always, thank you for reading and sticking with my little story.^^

Nana 9

 

Agility training had to be the worst. Surprisingly, her instructor was Nana. The first day of training, Daniel had opened the door and seen the woman standing in the middle of the gym in something flowing that brushed the floor. She had walked to her and stopped, waiting. At the time, Daniel was still in the throws of petulance. Refusing to talk, she stood and looked around the gym. Finally she sighed in frustration.

 

"I know why the gods chose you." She spoke without moving a muscle. In fact, Daniel would have sworn the voice emitted from a ghost.

 

"Please enlighten me."

 

Nana finally turned, "you don't deserve to know." She had walked past a stunned Daniel, picked up a jump rope and threw it at her, "jump until I tell you to stop."

 

"Seriously?" The older woman had only stared back at her, her porous white hair tied in a loose bun at the back of her head. Daniel huffed and began to hop, then jump. And why was she even doing this, she'd like to know. 

 

The vessel is weak and tight.

 

"Your body is weak and tight. I took you for a more active person," Nana appraised her with a critical eye.

 

"I am...in good...shape...for my...age." Daniel spit out between jumps.

 

"Weak."

 

"If I had...known...I was going...to be...possessed...by...a fox demigod...I would have...done...a better...job." She started jumping with more force.

 

"Of course it's all about you, Daniel." Her sharp grey eyes pierced Daniel with sarcasm.

 

"No..."

 

"Everyone's thinking about the future of the world," she snorted, "how stupid of us. Generations of men and women sacrificing, fighting, protecting, working, but we should have all known. It's all about Daniel."

 

"Give me a break." Daniel stopped jumping.

 

Hmmmm

 

"I didn't tell you to stop!" Daniel was stunned by her aggression and reluctantly started again. "Let's take my son for example. Before he could even crawl, I had to take him to the alter of the gods to find out if one day he might be brutally killed for the sake of seven billion people who would never even know his name. He started learning to handle weapons before he could run in a straight line. At ten, he had the weight of the world resting on his shoulders. He knew he had to produce and heir. His movements were restricted until the age of seventeen for fear of dark beasts and minions. He could trust no one." 

 

Daniel had stopped jumping somewhere in the middle, "Nana..."

 

"My darling sweet baby boy," she was far away, "he used to love running through the streets of old town. When my husband had business there we would take him. I would run with him. He was such a happy boy. One day while he was running, a dark beast appeared. Sevgili couldn't have been more than seven years old. It chased after him and I had to use my kit to rip it to shreds right in front of him." She looked at Daniel, "you should have seen his eyes."

 

"Nana, I'm so sorry."

 

"I don't need your sympathy. I need you to fucking jump."

 

Daniel stared into her cold eyes fighting back tears. Her gaze dropped to the floor and she took the handles in her hands and started jumping.

 

"The future of my clan and the fate of my grandson is in your hands. I'm going to work you so hard you will crawl to you room like a wounded dog to its grave. Your body will scream for mercy and you will take it. Do I make myself clear?" Daniel hadn't said a word. And work her that old lady had, until her muscles shook from fatigue.

 

It had only gotten harder. Stamina training, leaps, jumps, flips. Nana told her things though, things about her life and that of Sevgili and Kurt.

 

"Dogan was the firstborn son of Sevgili and Mir. Everyone expected him to carry the blood of Yalnız. Mir had taken him to the alter, but the gods answer was for her to wait. So we waited," Nana had Daniel bent backwards with a large rubber ball supporting her lower back. With her hands crossed over her chest, he was instructed to go down almost touching the floor with her back, then come back up and pop a grape with her teeth from the bunch hanging from Nana's hand. Frankly, she was glad Nana was talking, it kept her mind off the swelling pain. "Kurtarıcı was born and still no answer came from the gods. You can imagine our distress. Mir thought it was her fault because she was not the first vessel the gods chose."

 

"Enin." Daniel grunted before squeezing her abdominal muscles to lift her to the bunch of hanging grapes. She swore Nana had raised it again.

 

"Yes. She used to be very self conscious about it. Repeatedly they took Dogan and repeatedly they received no reply until a resounding 'no' came down. Little Tawny was around eight then. He was the cutest thing you have ever seen. Never was one for gab but when he liked something he was so animated. Needless to say, both his parents were always indulging him. Already proficient with weapons, at eight he was taken to the alter and approved as the heir of Yalnız." Nana cradled the grapes and ate a few, "that's enough."

 

Daniel had slid off the ball into a heap on the floor.

 

"His world changed that day, poor thing. The more he learned the more introverted he became. It broke Mir and Sevgili's hearts." She had sighed, "now, let's go for a run."

 

"Whaaa?"

 

Later, she added flexibility training. Daniel had never been able to do any kind of splits before. Nana had preformed extensive physical therapy to correct deficiencies in her posture and increase mobility. Then started the tugging, pulling and core strengthening. It was hard, very hard, but she couldn't help thinking of Kurt when things got rough. And after Caninae whisked her into the gym during Kurt and Benoît sparing session, well, the power that he possessed! She was going to have to fight along side him.

 

Her obligations were obvious.

 

Today, she was to run for an hour after lunch then have core strengthening with Nana. She bounced down the steps and walked through the house in her spandex shorts, sports top and wide boat neck t-shirt. They were eating on the terrace today. She stretched her arms and wiggled them around before walking out the open terrace doors.

 

"Ah Daniel." Sevgili stood with outstretched arms. She was about to join him when she had the feeling that something was not right.

 

"Really? Daniel, you're still here, how pleasant." Her eyes cut to Adonia and her shoulders slumped. Dogan stood behind her.

 

"Hello Adonia, Dogan." Daniel went to Sevgili who taking her shoulders placed a fatherly kiss on her forehead. He added an extra squeeze. "Sevgili," she walked around to Mir and they touched cheeks, "Mir." She took her place beside Mir pulling out her chair.

 

"Good, your ready for you're run. You'll eat light today." Nana strolled out on Kurt's arm. Daniel felt self conscious whenever he was around. Plus, she wanted to be the one on his arm.

 

"Afternoon Kurtarıcı." She nodded her head. Surprise passed over his features before a small smile settled there.

 

"Afternoon." A soft gaze passed between them.

 

"Well, did I hear you will go for a run Daniel?" The bubble burst into a thousand pieces. Everyone was disagreeably forced back to reality.

 

"Yes."

 

"You're perhaps on a diet?"

 

Daniel sat heavily, "yes."

 

"I don't approve of diets. One should simply change ones eating habits. Besides, the food in Bağlılık is exquisite. And Mir always sets such a fine table." Adonia smiled at Mir.

 

"Thank you child. You have brought our son home." She patted Daniel's arm under the table.

 

"I told him we most definitely needed to return. I heard you went to the villa." She gave Sevgili a reproachful look.

 

"Just for the day," Sevgili watched as lunch was served.

 

"Did you go too Daniel?"

 

Just about to put a fork of food in her mouth she stopped, "yes Adonia."

 

"What a treat. I simply love the villa which is why I can't believe you went without me." Again to Sevgili.

 

"Well, next time Sevgili you must call her PA to check her agenda." Daniel advised. Adonia turned her full attention to Daniel.

 

"You enjoyed yourself?" Her eyes flicked to Kurt.

 

Daniel squared her shoulders, "as a matter of fact I did. The weather couldn't have been better, so sunny." She smiled, "we bonded over Sevgili's favorite drink, I swam with the kiddies. Delightful little dears. Had lunch on the pontoon, played music in the lake house." She leaned forward, "I was even able to drive the runabout."

 

Adonia' plastered on a fake smile, "how delightful." Daniel nodded as she chewed. "Anything interesting happen?"

 

Caninae reared inside Daniel, but Daniel kept her at bay. With a blank expression she asked, "how do you mean? Like did someone drown?"

 

"Oh god forbid. That would be horrible."

 

"Well I did try and turn us over, didn't I Tawny?" Her eye moved to Kurt.

 

He roused himself and hid his smile, "that you did."

 

Daniel cut her eyes back to Adonia and smiled. Adonia cracked one back.

 

"Eat and go run you little tart." Nana announced. Adonia switched her attention to the rest of the table and Daniel finished eating. She sat and listened to Adonia chatter for as long as she could then stood.

 

"Thank you for lunch, I have to go put in an hour." She scooped her curls up into a messy poof on the top of her head.

 

"Your iPod is on the table." Nana pointed. Daniel grabbed it and strapped it on. She put the buds in her ears.

 

"Thanks Nana." She made a show of kissing her forehead. In response, Nana whacked her on the butt. Then she bounced down the stairs.

 

~~

 

"What a pain." Daniel had her forearms on the mat. She slowly lifted her butt and then feet in the air. 

 

"Don't think about her, you'll loose your concentration." Nana held her hips stable.

 

"Caninae doesn't like her either."

 

"I'm sure you feel validated." She said flatly, "now hold still! Tighten these lower abdominals." Daniel concentrated on the exercise. "Don't stop breathing."

 

She was getting the hang of it. Her abs were tight and her legs straight. She had elongated her neck relaxing it and had evenly distributed the weight in her shoulders. Her breathing was becoming regular though she hitched a few times. This was not bad. She could hold this. Nana let go and stepped back.

 

"Tawny couldn't take his eyes off you as you jogged away. My guess is he was hypnotized by the way your ass looks in those shorts." She waited a moment, "he even licked his lips."

 

Daniel fell right over with a loud "umph."

 

Nana bent over cackling.


End Notes:

I'm interested in what you think of Nana and Daniel's progress.

Failure and death by Outfielder
Author's Notes:

So, the next installment is here. Thanks for reading this far and for the reviews!^^

Failure and death 10

 

The wind was angry. The trees bent and swayed as did the tall grass in the birch woods and  water in the ponds protested against their cement confines. The farm animals were restless as did seem the clouds for they raced through the sky. Today Daniel was up early for a run and she ran with purpose. For what she wasn't sure, but something needed to be done. Her mind was on Kurt, but she ended up hopping from one foot to the other in front of The Human Story. She walked back and forth to cool down then walked in. No one was there.

 

She took it upon herself to bound up the stairs and walked in on Faza sitting in the tea room. He looked older.

 

"Faza?"

 

"My dear."

 

"Faza, I'm..." He held up a hand.

 

"I did suspect you were the chosen vessel. I suspected it immediately. I felt you coming. When you opened the door I was shocked. I thought I had made a mistake. I came to realize that I hadn't." He looked at her, "I just couldn't figure it out. You were not from Bağlılık. You didn't know anything." He shook his head.

 

Daniel came to rest in front of him and dropped to her knees, "Faza."

 

"You were so innocent. But you were lively and clever. You were adventurous and interested. I was taken with you. I should have come forward sooner, Caninae was right. Even though I felt it, I was still uncertain, so I gave you the relic."

 

"Relic?"

 

"My book. It has a seal on it made of enchanted metals. It protected you at night while you slept."

 

"The dream that was real?"

 

He sat back, "oh, it was very real. Buthidae tried to kill you. He's a slick beast. I directed you to the three estates to initiate the meeting between you and Kurtarıcı. I had no idea the gods would put you together so soon. I could have...made it easier for you."

 

Daniel crossed her legs as she sat on the floor. "I'm not quite sure that was at all possible. If you had told me I was the chosen vessel of a fox demigod I would have extricated myself from your premises and never come back." She laughed then he laughed. "Whether you should have or what you could have done differently, I couldn't say. Faza, I don't hate you, I never did. I was angry, but I'm not anymore."

 

"Daniel." He blinked the moisture from his eyes.

 

"I'm sorry I've been so unkind to you. I've been perfectly dreadful and not just to you. I'm a very imperfect candidate for a savior." She grabbed his hand gently, "I want us to be friendly like we were before. Can we do that?"

 

He leaned forward and squeezed her hands, "yes."

 

"Yes? Yes." She moved up on her knees and hugged him tight. After the embrace he put her hands together and patted them.

 

"Well, what would you say to some tea my dear." He smiled broadly looking his old self. He pushed himself from the love seat and she followed him to a kitchenette.

 

"What can you tell me about the dark vapor?" Her eyes took in the small porcelain sink, microwave atop a mini refrigerator and gas burners. A narrow window sat open and a miniature mandarine tree sat poised for sunlight that hadn't arrived yet.

 

"It's the negative side of the life force. All creatures posses it, none of us being pristine, but the condemned are consumed with it." 

 

"Caninae absorbs it."

 

"Caninae being a fox demigod is carnivorous, she consumes any life force be it negative or positive. It is like food for her and makes her rather formidable, like an apex predator." He carried the tray into the tea room and poured.

 

"She also eats the carcass," she took her tea and added milk and honey.

 

"You have seen it then." Faze looked apologetic.

 

"I have done more than seen it." Daniel sighed. She looked at Faza as he drank his tea. "Faza, what is your position in all of this? You said you knew I was the vessel, how?"

 

He placed his cup in its saucer gently, "I'm the keeper. The gods designated my family as helpers to the line of Yalnız. My ancestor, Dalibor, on the portrait downstairs was exceedingly loyal to General Öküz. He loved the general, fought with him against both physical and paranormal enemies. So we watch over the line and the vessels."

 

"Like a shaman?" Daniel's eye were wide in fascination.

 

Faza laughed heartily, "very similar I guess."

 

~~

 

Feeling much relieved, Daniel jogged back to the mansion in the clouded midday light. She was feeling much more at peace about this absurdly bizarre situation. It didn't seem so bad anymore. For the moment BGU was out the window. So was moving on. Who knew, maybe later she could still indulge her love of traveling. Maybe to the African continent next.

 

You have done well.

 

"I still have much to do Caninae."

 

You must make amends with Yalnız. Nexus will not occur if you do not.

 

"Nexus?" She sighed, "we really need to have a meeting about how information is dispensed." She was cutting through a cow field. They lifted their heads one by one and watched her jog through. They're lower jaw in constant rotation. She came close to one tethered to a stake. Hay littered the ground around it. "Are you all alone?" She bounced beside it and it edged away looking at her with both curiosity and apprehension. "Here let me give you some of the hay over here." She bent over, "make it a little easier for..." The trickling sensation passed through her body at more of a rushing speed.

 

Daniel Chordata!

 

There was a roar of wind then the clash of cymbals. The cow jerked up in the enormous jaws of a flying crocodile with the body of an eagle. It was ridiculously large. Blood rained down as Daniel stumbled in horror. She fell to the ground as the beast's head thrash back and forth. A leg of the cow flew one way and a whole flank the other. It's organs hung from the jaws. It lifted its head back and the cow disappeared with a strangled moo down its throat. The wings flapped wide as it hovered in the air, its tail twisting left then right behind it. It roared at Daniel, a mix of screeching and growling.

 

"Oh my God!" Daniel lifted to her legs, but slipped in the muddy mix of dirt and blood. She regained her balance and ran across the open field as fast as her legs could move. "Caninae!"

 

I am here.

 

"Help me move faster!"

 

As you wish.

 

She felt her body surge, her legs and arms pumped faster. She felt a flash on her left and veered right. A large talon dug into the soil lifting a whole swath of dirt out of the ground. She felt another flash and dived to the ground as the jaws clashed shut overhead. She forward rolled out of the dive and continued running only to have a dark beast leap out from the right, winds wide talons forward. She could see it, unbelievably she could see its movements almost before they happened. She evaded and grabbing a leg called on Caninae before spinning around and letting it go right into the gaping jaws of Chordata. She flung herself backwards just out of their reach and landed with a thud. The force of the snapping jaws blowing her back several feet.

 

Before she could recover, another dark beast was coming down on her.

 

Daniel, you must let me out.

 

But she was frozen. What a poor savior she made. The dark beast was upon her and then a form flew over head and sliced it in two. The two half of its body fell to either side of her. Dark matter splashed down on her. She yelped. Kurt landed and slid under the flying beast dragging his sword through its scales and flesh underneath. It flew high as it cried and scored in the air circling around in their direction. Meanwhile, more dark beasts were charging him. Daniel watched as he took down one after the other slicing through them.

 

Still there were more and Chordata was headed back.

 

"Daniel!" Kurt called to her. "Daniel! Help me!" But she was totally paralyzed with fear. 

 

Daniel you must go. Daniel wake up! This is no time to be in fear. He needs you!

 

Her mouth quivered.

 

"Daniel! Please!" Kurt called again as the flying Chordata closed in. "Caninae! I need you!"

 

Daniel, I must obey Yalnız. May the gods have mercy on you and allow us to meet again.

 

Pain seared through her body as Caninae forced her way out. She opened her mouth to yell but nothing came out. Instead she was moving in the air. Her arm grabbed a beast and broke its spine before ripping it apart. Her joints stretched to the limit the pain making her eyes cross. Another dark beast went down its innards flying through the air. Daniel's muscles twisted her nails felt as if they were being yanked out. Then Caninae attacked Chordata head on. A burst of energy emerged from her body causing her heart to spasm, and flew into the the right side of it blowing out the flesh, braking bone and setting a wing on fire. 

 

Kurt attacked as well, puncturing its eye. They slashed into it together. It swung its tail around squashing some of its own dark beasts until Caninae took hold of it and flipped him over shoving his head into the earth. It's one wing flapped helplessly, Kurt severed a leg from it and plunged his sword into its back at the joint of its wing. Caninae let go of the tail and it boomed as it pounded the earth. Then she lit into it while Kurt disposed of the rest of the dark beasts.

 

This time Daniel could not block it out. She watched as Caninae slowly yet deftly took the helpless shrieking beast apart snapping its sinew with her teeth, consuming its flesh and organs covered in dark matter. She felt no surge of energy, just as if she was coming apart one limb, one bone, one nerve at a time. The pain was excruciating. And finally the pain took her under, mouth agape still trying to cry out in anguish.

 

~~

 

She was surrounded by light so bright she had to shield her eyes. She couldn't see anything, but she was walking. Daniel noticed that she too was bright and wondered if she were dead. Had she gone to heaven? Was there a heaven? She was so confused, but thankful to have escaped the pain. Thinking about it made her shudder. She didn't know for how long she walked, but eventually she saw a...bathtub? There was a person in it but she could not make them out.

 

"Of course not Daniel. No one can see a god and live. I have toned it down for you. You should be grateful." The voice was satiny and seductive.

 

"I would if I knew what was going on."

 

"In short, you froze at a crucial time and died little Daniel." The form stood and wrapped a towel around its body.

 

"I'm dead?"

 

"Yes." It walked behind a screen and moved around.

 

"So I'm in heaven?"

 

"Heaven is a place created by mortals. When a mortal dies, it does not come to the gods. How shameful." It came from behind the screen and sat at a vanity.

 

"So where am I?"

 

"My home, I guess you mortals would call it." It began to primp, "give me a moment and then we can leave."

 

"Where to?"

 

"The forum of the gods of course." It said as if it were obvious.

 

"Could you...just, who are you?"

 

It laughed at this, "I forgot you are ignorant. I am Freya the goddess of love, war, lust, hatred, pleasure and fertility."

 

"That's a lot."

 

"Which is why I have demigods." In the blink of an eye she was done. "Here we go." It was not so bright anymore, now everything was shadowed. Freya was still bright though.

 

"Little Daniel, we come to assign your fate." A voice said. Daniel stood in the middle of a circle. Her eyes couldn't seem to adjust to the change in lighting or maybe it was because no one could see a god and live. "Normally you would be dead and we would have nothing to do with it, but the circumstances are extenuating."

 

"Which means?" Daniel asked.

 

"Our beloved Yalnız throws himself on the alter night and day in your behave." Daniel was in awe. Did he love her? Love her so much he petitioned for her life? How could she possibly be a recipient of so much affection? "He begs us to take responsibility for you are a novice and totally out of your element. So we ask you, little Daniel, what do you wish for?"

 

What did she wish for? An end to this absurdity, to be rid of Caninae, to go back to being one of the ignorant masses. To travel, to be alone, to... 

 

"Please, please let me go back." She had made a mess of things, such a big mess. She had things to put right and things to finish. Most of all she wanted to be worthy of Kurt.

 

"And your freedom, little Daniel?" Freya's bright indiscernible figure sat forward.

 

"My freedom is Yalnız."


End Notes:

What do you think about Daniel's first attempt?

This story archived at https://www.valentchamber.com/viewstory.php?sid=3355