HEARTS OF GLASS AND GOLD by marchpisces92
RetiredSummary:

For a sociopath who killed his step father Jackson "Jack" Ford has a heart of gold despite his tough and cold exterior. However fellow paitent Aaliyah "Al" Nelson diagonosed as a schizophrenic has a heart of glass that's been shattered too many times to count.



Categories: Original Fiction Characters: None
Classification: None
Genre: Psychological
Story Status: Muse went on vacation, no idea when it will be back
Pairings: None
Warnings: Dark Fic
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 8 Completed: No Word count: 19024 Read: 48061 Published: September 12 2016 Updated: January 20 2018

1. ONE by marchpisces92

2. TWO by marchpisces92

3. THREE by marchpisces92

4. FOUR by marchpisces92

5. FIVE by marchpisces92

6. SIX by marchpisces92

7. SEVEN by marchpisces92

8. EIGHT by marchpisces92

ONE by marchpisces92

ONE

"...I don't know why I have to stay in this hell hole for another six months!"

"Now Jack please calm down---"

"No! Fuck this!"

"Jackson Adam-Griffin!" his mother scolded him over the phone

Jackson Ford was damn near thirty-one years old but his mother still got on him about cursing like a sailor.

"Mom I'm sorry"

"Jack I need you to get better"

"I'm not a sociopath"

"Jack you killed your step father and you didn't show any type of emotion or even remorse---"

"And he damn near killed you Mom" Jackson cut Elizabeth Montgomery off "you think I was just going to let him keep beating you? That sick fuck was looking at the girls too they're thirteen"

"It's wasn't your place to step in Jack" Elizabeth tried to explain "I was in the process of divorcing him you are my child---"

"And you're my mom I never liked that bastard and I held back because I knew you liked him" Jackson said "but once he started hitting you....are the girls okay?"

"Sophia and Olivia are fine" Elizabeth said, "their father is dead and they just need their big brother to get better"

"I'm more of a father to them than that fucker ever was"

"Jack please I need you to take this program seriously" Elizabeth said, "Gregory is gone and he won't ever hurt me or your sisters again"

"But you're still very young Jack I know that you may not think that but you are" she pleaded with him "you're lucky you weren't arrested since it was self defense but you would have been otherwise"

"I still don't think I'm a sociopath"

"I don't want to believe you are either Jack but I just..."

"Mom..." Jackson could hear his mother choking up on the other end of the line; trying hard not to cry

"I love you Jack please focus on getting better"

"Times up Jack!"

"I'm talking to my mother!" Jackson shot back at the guard "give me a break Wilson!"

"Times up Jack!" Wilson repeated

"Are you fucking kidding me?!?"

"Jack don't argue" Elizabeth said "just do as you're told we'll talk again soon okay?"

"Come on Jack!" Wilson said, "other folks need to use the phone besides you!"

"Okay I love you Mom"

"I love you too son"

Jackson only hung up when he heard Elizabeth hang up first. The guy that was in line next gave Jackson an annoyed look to which he replied

"Yeah I'll see you in hell too asshole"

"Fuck you Jack"

"Right back at you"

 

"...Oh...oh...yes...fuck!"

"Yes Jack yes!"

"Right there!"

Jackson drove himself deeper and faster into his girlfriend Melanie Sumpter as she cried out for him to do so. Jackson was in so balls deep he was sure that the head of his cock was hitting her cervix.

"Shit Mel" he groaned kissing her and running his hands through her strawberry blonde hair "you're so fucking tight....you like that?"

"You know I do"

Jackson smirked here he was trying to keep control of his strokes but Melanie was just saying all the right things

"You're going to make me cum with the way you're talking"

"Then cum"

With her walls practically hugging his cock Jackson quickly pulled himself out of Melanie and let his seed spill out on her flat belly. Melanie looked pissed as if she really couldn't believe he did that to her.

"You know for someone you just came moaning my name a few seconds ago you sure look pissed"

"Seriously Jack?"

Melanie got up off the tiny twin bed and proceeded to get dressed. Melanie had been Jackson's girlfriend for about ten years now and often came to visit him a few times a month at the institution he was at. Mostly for conjugal visits more than anything.

Jackson knew what Melanie wanted but he wasn't going to comply with her

"You know how much I want a baby"

"Mel we've been through this already" he said, "I'm not father material"

"What do you mean you're not father material?" she asked, "I've seen how you are with Sophia and Olivia"

"That's different I'm their brother and I'm seventeen years older than them" Jackson replied, "I only stepped up to the plate because Gregory was a piece of shit and Mom needed help"

"I really think having a child of your own will encourage you to get better" Melanie said "do you want to be here forever? I heard about your six month extension"

"Of course I want to get out here Mel you know that" Jackson said "but I'm not bringing an innocent life into my mess not the way my so called step father did to my sisters"

"I want a baby Jack" tears came flowing from her eyes now "I want us to get married"

"Mel..."

"I can't do this anymore Jack" Melanie said "I tried to make this work but I just can't I have a friend I'm talking to and---"

"Wait what?"

"You heard me" she repeated "I recently met a friend who I've been talking to who wants the same things I do and he isn't rotting away in a damn mental hospital"

"So what the hell was that?" Jackson asked getting pissed now himself "a pity fuck?"

"That was me trying to make it work between us" Melanie said "and before you ask no I have not slept with him"

"But you're planning to"

"Jack you're not being fair"

"Says my girlfriend who I haven't once cheated on"

"I just said we haven't slept together"

"You don't have to sleep with him" Jackson said, "all it took was getting emotionally invested in him and you did"

"Well you know what at least he has his shit together!" Melanie shot back at him "I'm done Jack I thought I could make this work but clearly I can't"

"If you really loved me you wouldn't have done that Mel" Jackson said hurt "but you know what you go right ahead and marry Mr. Right and have you two point five kids and white picket fence"

Before Melanie left she turned to look at Jackson one last time and said "I almost feel sorry for you Jack I don't think you'll ever get better"

"Then don't feel sorry for me Mel" he said dismissively "just go live your life"

With that said Melanie Sumpter walked out of Jackson's life for good.

 

"Hey Jack we're going to shoot some hoops on the court you in?" his roommate asked

"Nah Pete I'm good" Jackson said as he slouched on the couch flipping through the only three channels the recreation room television had to offer.

"You sure?" Peter Bates asked again "it's been two weeks since Melanie man I'm worried about you"

"I'm fine just go play ball"

"Suit yourself" Peter replied "you're more than welcome to join us if you change your mind"

"Yeah I'll keep that in mind"

It was a lazy Sunday afternoon and Jackson had the recreation room to himself. The only three channels that were offered was the 700 Club with Joel Osteen blabbing on about God and Jesus with his perfectly combed hairstyle. Fox News with Bill O'Reilly going on about "traditional marriage". And PBS showing yet another historical documentary on JFK or was it Ronald Reagan?

Jackson rolled his eyes did the hospital really think this was all they wanted to watch it probably played a role in why mostly everyone was depressed. Jackson flipped off the television and sighed since Peter was outside he knew his room was empty maybe he should go whack one off.

Lord knows Jackson was sexual frustrated ever since Melanie dumped him and the hospital had restricted Internet access. Here he was a grown ass man with no free outlet to porn to whack off to if this place wasn't hell he wasn't sure what hell was.

Jackson heard somebody mumbling not too far from him; letting him know that he wasn't the only one in the room. Jackson got up to see the new resident that everyone was avoiding like the plague with her head down focusing on a puzzle.

Her wild dark brown corkscrew curls seemed to hide most of her face from view. Jackson hadn't really paid her any mind plus he heard everyone saying she was schizophrenic.

She was always usually on watch since she had a history of self-harm and was always trying to find ways to cut herself; so Jackson was curious as to why nobody was watching her now.

As Jackson made his way over to the table where she was working on the 1,000 piece puzzle of the Grand Canyon he could see more of her face. Her honey brown skin glowed and her features were soft from her round cheeks, button nose, and full lips.

She was beautiful and clearly younger than him by at least four or five years. However there was something else about her that drew Jackson to her. She seemed to have had a good quarter of the puzzle done but suddenly pushed it away sending all the puzzle pieces flying everywhere.

She looked like she was frustrated or angry.

"Hey you were doing pretty good" Jackson spoke up "what did you do that for?"

The young woman jumped a little and stared up at Jackson in surprise and then frowned at him.

"Go away"

"Sorry doll face but this is the recreation room it's open to everybody"

"Then leave me alone"

"I'd be gladly too," Jackson said as he pulled out a chair to sit across from her "it's kind of hard listening to the bias folks of Fox News with you mumbling to yourself over here"

The young woman snorted at Jackson trying to ignore his presence while getting back to the puzzle.

Jackson watched her put some pieces back together and caught view of her wrists; both of them had slash marks all over them. She was definitely a cutter; no doubt was trying to get the little green vein but clearly never succeeded.

"I'm Jackson" he tried to make conversation with her "folks call me Jack what's your name?"

"Al" she simply replied

"Al?"

"Yes"

Jackson frowned that name was too damn masculine for a young lady who was clearly the definition of feminine.

"What's your real name?"

"That is my real name" she replied getting annoyed with him

"No that's a man's name"

"Just leave me alone!" she spat at him her hostility now showing "why are you even talking to me!?! go away!"

Jackson was surprised when Al started chucking puzzle pieces at him, which caught the attention of one of the nurses.

"Aaliyah there you are!" the nurse exclaimed

"My name is Al!" she insisted, "stop calling me that!"

"Now Aaliyah calm down let's get you to your room---"

Jackson watched as Al violently kicked and shoved at the nurse to leave her be.

"NO!" she screamed "LEAVE ME THE FUCK ALONE!"

The nurse had to call for back up to help restrain Al and Jackson didn't like the way they were handling her.

Aside from the nickname Al had given herself one would really think she was a grown man they way they were grabbing and restraining her.

"Hey dude easy!" Jackson spoke up "she's a woman you know"

"Stay out of this Jack!" Wilson replied, "you've caused enough trouble!"

"LET ME GO!" Al continued to fight back "LET ME G---"

Jackson watched as the obviously frustrated nurse stuck Al's arm with some type of sedative causing her to calm down and her speech began to slur.

"...let me go...let...me...."

Al then blacked out and slumped like a rag doll in the arms of the nurse who walked in on her episode.

"I'll get her back to her room" Wilson said picking her up "somebody should be watching her"

Something in Jackson's stomach turned as he watched the male nurse take Al in his arms and he didn't like it. As Wilson turned to exit the room to make his way over to the female wing of the hospital; Jackson got up too to follow him.

However the other nurses held Jackson back and it pissed him off

"Jack calm down please---"

"Are you going to send a female nurse to watch her because I don't trust that fuck!"

"Jackson he is a trained professional!"

"My ass he is!"

"Jack why don't you step outside for some fresh air?" the nurse suggested "Aaliyah will be fine she's in good hands dinner will be ready soon"

 

After dinner there was one more hour until all the patients had to be in their rooms for the evening. Jackson wondered over to the female wing to check on Al. Her full government birth name was Aaliyah Diana Nelson.

Aaliyah

That was a beautiful name so Jackson couldn't understand why she insisted on being called Al. To be fair the name Al was in her name it was the second and third letters.

Usually the rooms of the schizophrenic patients had their doors open so if the nurses were not present at least they could be monitored at all times. With most of them being suicidal it was for the best.

Jackson stopped when he found Al's room and stood in the doorframe to watch her.

The nurse (and hopefully it was a nurse and not Wilson) had tucked Al in bed and she was out like a lamp.

A lot of people if not most people looking from the outside in viewed schizophrenic people as just plain crazy and a dead weight on society. However most people aren't born with schizophrenia and it's a disorder that does not develop until adolescence or early adulthood.

Something happened to Al.

"Get to your room Jack" Wilson barked "it's nine o'clock Sunday you know the rules"

Jackson took one more look at sleeping Al and scowled at Wilson looking him in the eye as if he were challenging him.

That of course pissed Wilson off since Jackson had always challenged his authority

"What are you doing over here anyway Wilson? You've never been assigned to the female wing before"

"I said get to your room" he repeated "since you're going to be here another six months start listening to instructions"

 

Jackson had no choice but to listen to Wilson but he was definitely going to keep him on his radar for sure; for Al's sake anyway.

TWO by marchpisces92

TWO

Al pushed her scrambled eyes around on her plate they looked like mush and the fact that they looked like the same texture as her oatmeal made her stomach turn.

"Better eat doll face" a familiar voice said "you only get three square meals around here and most of it is mush"

Al looked up to see Jackson Ford sit down across from her. Having already finished his breakfast he came over to keep her company. Al figured that there was something seriously wrong with Jackson because none of the other patients talked to her.

Al didn't even have a roommate because the nurses were concerned that she would harm not only herself but harm others as well. This wasn't the first mental hospital she was sent to and she knew the story she was always deemed as too difficult so she didn't think she'd be here long.

Al didn't talk to any of the patients and they didn't talk to her so she found herself wondering why Jackson was so persistent.

"It usually helps me if I pretend that it's something else"

"I'm not hungry"

Al pushed her plate away and nervously balled a napkin in her fist when she saw Wilson by the door of the cafeteria looking over at them. Taking note of her action Jackson looked over to the direction Al was looking and frowned.

"Good Morning to you too Wilson!"

Wilson adjusted his holster as he scowled at the two at him

"Don't make him mad" Al whispered

"Fuck him" Jackson said, "you don't have to be scared of that prick"

"I guess..."

"Aaliyah---"

"Al" she said firmly "my name is Al"

"Is he fucking with you?" Jackson asked seriously "because that's not in his job description"

Al didn't answer and shifted her attention to her untouched breakfast. Before Jackson could say anything else the bell rung signaling the end of breakfast.

All of the other patients got up to get where their scheduled activities or counseling were for the day but Jackson stayed behind with Al, which annoyed Wilson.

"You better be where you need to be by the time I get back Jackson" Wilson said and shifted his attention to Al "you too girlie"

"Wilson don't you have other patients to bother?" Jackson said not liking the way he addressed Al

"That mouth of yours is going to catch up with you one of these days Jack"

"Kind of like how you're going to be caught with your pants down eventually huh?"

Wilson didn't respond but gave Jackson what looked like a death glare and exited the cafeteria

"Fucking bastard"

"I um...I should go" Al said getting up

"Not before you eat something" Jackson said "believe when I tell you that you only get fed three times around here"

"Why do you care if I eat?" Al asked giving him a suspicious look "I don't know anything about you besides your name"

"Judging by the slits on your wrists it obvious you're not used to folks not caring about you"

Al immediately yanked her sleeves down to cover her wrists

"...none of your business..."

"It should be somebody's business" Jackson said, "why do you do that anyway?"

"....everyone says I'm crazy that's why...."

"I don't think you're crazy just misunderstood"

Al looked up from her plate to look Jackson in the face and was surprised to see a very honest expression.

"...we should really go Wilson will be angry...."

"I could care less about that shit stain" Jackson said "but if it helps you feel better I can walk you to the counselor's for your session"

Al watched Jackson sneak an honey crisp apple from the buffet line and he placed it in her hand.

"Eat it" he encouraged her "it's the only thing that doesn't look like mashed peas"

Al hesitated for a minute but one bite of the sweet fruit was all it took for her to bite a few more times.

"Good huh?"

"...yes"

Jackson handed Al a glass of milk to wash the apple down "It's not much but lucky for you lunch is right around the corner"

"...thank you"

"That's how it feels when somebody cares about you doll face"

 

"That's how it feels when somebody cares about you doll face"

Al watched Jackson and some of the other male patients dribble up and down the basketball court. It was a rather warm day for early October and the patients were outside getting some fresh air.

Al usually sat by herself during leisure time just like she had done any other time.

Even most the female patients didn't like being around her and it didn't help that she was only one of the few black female patients as well.

Al found herself thinking about what Jackson said this morning and it really stuck with her. She had been at this hospital for two weeks now and just like the hospitals she was at previously she always felt so alone and isolated.

For the past few days Jackson had been talking to her whether it was in the recreation room or the cafeteria. Most of the time whenever they talked Al usually answered him in only one or two phrases responses. Even now Al was still puzzled

by Jackson's sudden fondness in her because it wasn't like they had anything in common.

"Oh shit!" Peter exclaimed as the ball flew from his gasp and was now bouncing towards Al.

"Heads up Al!" Jackson called out to her.

The reaction that would come from Al next would be pretty intense she looked up to see the basketball hurtling it's way towards her and she froze for a minute.

"Get up!"

"You clean all this up right now!"

"Okay Momma I'll clean it----"

"I SAID NOW!"

The eight-year-old girl was then stuck with her mother's shoe to her head and she barked at her more

"YOU AIN'T MOVING FAST ENOUGH GIRL YOU WANT MY OTHER SHOE!"

"No Momma"

"THEN MOVE IT!"

Al screamed and screamed as if a thousand basketballs were being thrown at her as opposed to one that had now slowed down and was rolling towards the fence behind her.

Al dropped to the ground and rolled herself up into a fetal position and was screaming more

"NO MOMMA! NO!"

"Hey!" Jackson made his way over to her and kneeled in front of her despite her screaming her head off "you're okay---"

Jackson was surprised by how hard Al pushed him away

"LEAVE ME ALONE!" she screamed "DON'T TOUCH ME! MOMMA DON'T TOUCH ME!"

Everyone in the courtyard was now witnessing Al's episode and the nurses immediately came out to see to her.

Jackson saw that this only escalated the situation further and he didn't like the way Wilson was suddenly just standing at the doorframe as if he were anticipating this happen.

"It's okay Aaliyah calm down---"

"I got this" Jackson spoke up as he locked eyes with Wilson

"Jack this needs to be handled by professionals---"

"I said I got this" Jackson said, "you guys are only going make it worse"

The nurses were bewildered by this and Wilson looked confused but one of the nurses did comply

"Okay Jackson" she said "could you please walk her back to her room when she's calmed down?"

Jackson nodded and sat down next to Al gently rubbing her shoulder soothingly to which she still fidgeted but she didn't lash out at him either.

"You're okay doll face" he whispered, "you're okay"

Jackson could see the stone cold stern look on Wilson's face and he didn't like it.

It was obvious Al was scared of the guard and Jackson didn't want him messing with her not if he could help it.

The nurses weren't going to trust his suspicions than he would have to trust his own.

 

"....sorry I didn't mean to push you it's just...."

"I know you didn't mean it"

"...you're not my mother though..."

"Did your mother beat you growing up?"

Al didn't respond and Jackson decided not to push the issue any further. Her episode was over and she had calmed down and Jackson had walked her back to her room.

"You going to be okay?"

"...yes"

Jackson nodded "I'm going to get going okay? Wilson practically follows me everywhere and I don't want him coming in your direction"

Al nodded

Before Jackson turned to leave he heard Al whisper almost quietly

"...thanks for staying with me..."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

THREE by marchpisces92

THREE

"Now I know some of our older residents will find this tiring" the main counselor Keith said "but I'd like to welcome you all to our monthly open talk where we talk about who we are and how we got to Ivy Hill Rehabilitation Center"

"We'll also be introducing some of our new residents during this session as this is their first open talk---"

Jackson wished that Keith would get to the point already there were better things that the patients could be doing on a Sunday afternoon like watching Bill O'Reilly talk about how he does not have white privilege.

It was only twelve noon and all of the residents were sitting in chairs in a circle in the center of the community room no doubt they would be here for the entire afternoon.

"...why don't we have some of our older residents go first" Keith suggested "that way our newer residents will feel more comfortable opening up"

Jackson noticed how Al bit her lower lip and duck her head when Keith mentioned this. He also noticed how she cupped the sleeves to her oversized sweatshirt so that her wrists didn't show.

"Jack why don't you go first?"

"Really?" Jackson said slightly annoyed "come on Keith everyone's heard my story millions of times"

"Not everybody"

Jackson looked over at Al once more and knew that Keith was right he wasn't sure if his story would help her or make her shy away from him but she did need to hear it.


"...Jack there's somebody I want you to meet"

The thirteen-year-old looked up from his homework to see his mother grinning with a beefy reddish brown-headed man.

Jackson Adam-Griffin Ford didn't care much for the man even though his own father died three years ago he missed him greatly. Although he knew his mother was happy he didn't want her to forget his father.

"Jack this is Mr. Gregory Montgomery" Elizabeth smiled "you remember me telling you all about him don't you?"

"Nice to be meet you Jack" Gregory said holding out his hand in greeting

"It's Jackson" the boy said firmly he didn't like people he rarely knew calling him Jack

"Jack don't be that way" Elizabeth scolded her son "I apologize Greg he was very close to his father"

"I understand" Gregory said "hey Jackson I'm not here to replace your father I would never do that but I hope that we can be friends"

"I guess"

"I'll get us something to drink" Elizabeth said as she went into the kitchen "I'll let you men get acquainted with each other"

"So what are you up to Jackson?" Gregory asked

"Math"

"What kind of math?"

"Pre algebra"

"Pre what?" Gregory laughed "I'm sorry by the time I was your age I wasn't in school anymore"

Jackson didn't really care what Gregory knew or didn't know he just didn't want him bothering him anymore.

"Your momma is a real looker Jackson" Gregory snickered "it's hard to find a woman her age that's got a banging body---"

"Can you not talk about my mom like that" Jackson said disgusted

Gregory chuckled "Sorry Jack but before she was your momma she was a woman I hate to break that to you kid I mean how old are you?"

"Thirteen"

"So you know about sex then"

"I don't want to think about my mom doing that"

"How do you think you got here?"

"Do you even like my mom?" Jackson asked annoyed with Gregory now "or are you just using her for sex?"

"Jackson Adam-Griffin Ford!" Elizabeth scolded him as she returned to the table.

It was obvious that she heard her son's remark

 "I don't ever want to hear you say those things to Mr. Gregory again!"

Jackson balled his fist up when he saw that ugly menacing smirk crack on Gregory's face. It was at that moment Jackson knew that Gregory Montgomery was a piece of shit. Pissed the young boy got up from the table without a word.

"Jack you come back here!"

Jackson ignored her and as he made his way up to his bedroom he could hear them talking

"Greg I'm so sorry..."

"Hey it's okay it's obvious the kid isn't used to having another man in the house..."

"He hasn't been the same since Adam died...he's his father's son...."

"He'll come around" Jackson heard Gregory say  "I'm the man in the house now"

 

"...even at thirteen I knew Gregory was a piece of shit" Jackson said, "the man's dead but his name still leaves a bad taste in my mouth"

"So you don't believe that he really loved your mother?"

"Fuck no" Jackson said "I mean I knew my mother was lonely since my own father had been dead for three years but that asshole certainly did not love her"

Al could see how Jackson was fuming inside although his exterior seemed calm and collected.

"What else happened?"

"The shit gets even worse"

 

"You look just like Adam" Elizabeth smiled at her sixteen-year-old son as she straightened his tie "I mean really Jack you are the spitting image of your father"

"I wonder what he would think of you marrying this guy" Jackson said

"Now Jack please---"

"Just because you're pregnant doesn't mean you have to marry him Mom"

"Jackson I'm marrying Gregory because I love him not because I'm pregnant"

Jackson wasn't buying it yet here he was about to walk Elizabeth who was four months along down the aisle to marry the piece of shit.

When Jackson had learned his mother was expecting he wasn't too surprised since she was thirty-six and had him at age twenty. So it wasn't as if she were too old but that just further tied the knot to Gregory being in their lives.

The door of the sanctuary opened and there stood Gregory standing next to the pastor with a smirk for Elizabeth. Jackson wanted God to strike Gregory down right where he stood but it looked like that wasn't going to be the case.

Jackson had to give his mother away since Elizabeth's father had already passed away much to his dismay. Looking over at his maternal grandmother she seemed to share his same thoughts as well.

"Who gives this bride away?" the pastor asked as he smiled at Jackson "is it you young man?"

"Yes" Jackson said reluctantly "I do"

Elizabeth gave Jackson a kiss on the cheek and a hug and he gave Gregory death glare as he took his mother's hand to be his wife....

 

"....I'm no Norman Bates" Jackson explained "I'm not obsessed with my mother but I do love her very dearly we were all we had after my father died; so I didn't want some man taking advantage of her being a widow"

"My baby sisters were born premature two months later" he went on to say "they almost died but of course Gregory didn't really care since they weren't born male"

"Surely he couldn't have been that cold"

"Oh he was..."

 

Jackson walked in the NICU to see Elizabeth with some of the nurses as they helped her pack the twins things and give some instructions on caring for premature babies.

"...looks like both Miss Sophia Rose and Miss Olivia Grace are ready to go home now"

"And right in time for Christmas too" Elizabeth said wiping her tears of joy "Jack what are you doing here? Shouldn't you still be in school?"

"I came to get you and the girls Mom," the seventeen-year-old said simply he had his own car for about a year now

"Honey Gregory was going to come get us" Elizabeth said "you didn't have to leave school it's only one o'clock"

"It's the week before winter break," Jackson pointed out "all we're doing at school is watching movies and playing board games"

"Still it's not your responsibility"

"Somebody had to come I doubt he'll show up"

A little embarrassed Elizabeth introduced Jackson to the nurses "This is my oldest child Jackson"

"Oh yes Mrs. Montgomery" one of the nurses shook Jackson's hand "we've met many times at the nurses station your son's a fine young man stopped by everyday for the girls after school"

As the nurses got called back to the station Jackson helped get the girls into their car seats. He could already tell them apart. Sophia was older by three minutes and her top lip always curled whenever she was fast asleep or being fed.

Olivia although younger was the more vocal one and made her presence known and had inherited Gregory's reddish brown hair that was bright orange on her tiny head.

Elizabeth nervously eyed the clock and muttered, "I did tell Gregory we were being released at twelve-thirty"

"Mom it's supposed to start snowing within the next hour" Jackson said "the girls have a lot of things with them and they should be at home before the weather gets bad"

"He'll come through I'm sure..."

Jackson knew that was a crock of bullshit he could literally count on one hand how many times Gregory had been to the hospital to see Sophia and Olivia since they were born and the number wasn't impressive.

Once the doctor had announced the sex of the babies the nurses had to quickly rush them to the NCIU; yet Gregory kept on insisting that the doctors check the sex twice to make sure. 

After the doctors confirmed to Gregory that neither one of his babies "had a penis" he stormed out the hospital pissed.

Not even twenty-four hours old and their father already failed them so Jackson knew that Gregory was going to be a no show.

"He's not coming Mom" Jackson said,  "that's why I'm here"

"I just figured...well the girls need...."

Elizabeth couldn't finish her sentence and she didn't need to Jackson understood what she was trying to say.

 

"What the hell is all this shit?" Gregory barked after almost tripping over a cord to the girls' oxygen tank "did you bring the whole hospital home with you?"

Olivia whimpered a little and Sophia opened her eyes to see the man who was her father annoyed.

"They were sleeping" Elizabeth said gently rocking their swings and Jackson was watching this whole ordeal from the dining room table

"Do they need the whole damn living room for it?"

"Gregory the girls are premature you know they'll need this equipment for a few months---"

"Yeah how much is this shit?" he snarled, "the insurance company isn't going to cover all this! half of this is coming out of my pocket!"

"They're your daughters Gregory" Elizabeth said disgusted "does that mean anything to you they could have died since they were born so early"

"Then maybe they should of!" he spat "they aren't going to carry my name anyway and that boy of yours isn't either didn't take my name when we got married ungrateful bastard---"

"Gregory!"

"It's okay Mom" Jackson got up "he wants to call me a bastard he can say it to my face"

"Jackson don't---"

"I mean if he's not too drunk"

"I've had about enough of your shit!" Gregory said storming over to Jackson

"And I've had enough of yours!"

"Gregory please!" Elizabeth said coming between the two of them and she held her son back "just leave for a little bit okay?"

"Leave?!?" he barked, "you're telling me to leave in my house and this boy who's damn near eighteen not paying for shit in this house is staying?!?"

Olivia began to cry now which made Sophia start to cry too

"You're upsetting the girls" Elizabeth said "just let your head cool for a few hours and come back later that's all I'm saying"

Gregory pointed his finger at Jackson before he left "One of these days I'm going to really stick my foot up your ass boy"

With that said Gregory walked out the door slamming it behind him causing the girls to cry more.

"Shh" Elizabeth soothed the babies "you're okay...everything is okay now"

 

"I killed him about a year ago" Jackson said, "the bastard had it coming for years"

"Have you ever killed somebody before?" Keith asked, "you know the Bible says it's a sin to commit murder"

Al bit her lower lip at that and Jackson caught her reaction to Keith's words and didn't like it. 

This was supposed to be a place of healing not judgment besides Jackson was willing to bet half of the trained professionals were hypocrites themselves.

"I'm not exactly what you call religious but I'm pretty sure God doesn't approve of what I'm about to say next"

 

"Thanks for taking us to see a first PG-13 movie Jack! It was awesome" Olivia giggled, "wait until we tell Mom!"

"I think we'll just keep this between us" Jackson chuckled "Mom would kill me"

"But we're thirteen now" Olivia said stubbornly "Mom won't even let us have a Tumblr"

"Yeah but you know how moms are" Jackson said ruffling his little sister's wild red hair

Sophia reached for another slice of pizza but then changed her mind and Jackson had taken note of her behavior most of the evening. Sophia was the more reserved twin but she usually wasn't this quiet.

"You okay Sophie?"

"Yeah"

"Is the pizza bad?" Jackson asked, "because Livy's tearing hers up like there's no tomorrow"

"It's fine I was just wondering if...well...um" Sophia stuttered "is it okay if we spend next weekend with you too?"

"I don't know Sophie I have overtime next weekend"

"Please"

Sophia's eyes grew big and Olivia went silent.

"Please Jack," she begged "Dad is coming over next weekend and he's always drunk and..."

"What is it?" Jackson asked alarmed now "did something happen?"

"Don't be mad Jack please" Sophia said, "don't hurt Dad"

Jackson didn't like the sound of this what the hell was Gregory doing to the girls?

"Sophie you know that you and Livy can tell me anything" Jackson said sincerely "I'm your big brother"

"Last weekend Dad came in my room and he....well I guess he thought I was Mom" Sophia struggled to say, "he put his hands under my sheets and touched me---

"HE WHAT?!?"

"Jack you said you wouldn't get mad" Sophia said scared now

"How long has this been going on?"

"It only happened once" she explained "I was scared he would touch Livy too so I made her sleep in my room and I locked the door so he wouldn't bother us"

"He actually tried to open the door too," Olivia added

"You're staying here" Jackson said firmly "does Mom know about this?"

"Dad is still hitting her" Sophia added "that's why she doesn't let him in the house except weekends to see us"

"I'll talk to Mom then" Jackson said "I know he's your father but Gregory hasn't gotten away with too much I told her to leave him when he started hitting her but this is too much"

 

Sunday evening the girls were still at Jackson's and he would be driving them to school in the morning. So it was no surprise that Elizabeth called once the girls were sleeping.

"Jack is everything okay?"

"Yeah it's fine"

"Are you taking the girls to school in the morning?"

"You know I will Mom" Jackson said

"They can home back home after school---"

"I think they should stay with me for a while"

"Jack I know the girls like to spend time at your place but---"

"Mom Sophia told me that Gregory touched her"

"He...he did what?'

From the way Elizabeth responded Jackson could tell she was genuinely surprised and had no idea.

"Oh God...I...Jackson I had no idea really---"

"Mom" Jackson said gently but firmly "this is it you're going to have to divorce him you and the girls can stay with me for a bit but you have to leave him"

"I know" Elizabeth whispered "I know I'm trying to keep things under control it's just that you know Gregory had a temper..."

"He's still hitting you isn't he?"

".....Jackson I know what you're thinking but please don't"

"I have to Mom he's not laying another finger on you or the girls"

 

Gregory Montgomery pulled up to the house to see his wife and daughters loading suitcases onto Jackson's truck. And he was pissed. He always hated Jackson what was his deal anyway?

What thirty-year-old man is always checking up on his mother? Gregory didn't give a damn if Elizabeth was his mother the woman was his wife and he was going to do as he said.

Elizabeth's eyes grew wide in fear as she saw Gregory angrily make his way towards them.

"Mom you and the girls go inside" Jackson instructed "now"

Elizabeth wrapped her arms around Sophia and Olivia as she quickly escorted them in the house and further pushed Gregory's buttons.

"GET YOUR ASS BACK OUT HERE LIZ!" he spat "YOU AND THOSE TWO LITTLE BITCHES!"

Jackson stepped between Gregory and the front screen door and said very calmly "You better leave right now Gregory you're not welcome"

Gregory just threw back his head in laughter "Not welcome? Not welcome this is my damn house and you best remember that Ford---"

"Actually you best remember that this is indeed the house my father Adam Ford brought in his name" Jackson replied "which was left in my mother's name after he died so whose house is it really?"

Gregory grew red and furious

"I'M THE MAN OF THIS HOUSE!" he roared "I PAY FOR THIS! AND THAT'S MY WIFE!"

The girls flinched and clutched onto their mother and Elizabeth held on to them

"LIZ I SAID LET'S GO!" he barked "YOU AND THEM GIRLS GET THAT SHIT OUT OF THAT TRUCK! YOU AIN'T GOING ANYWHERE!"

"No Gregory we're leaving"

"THE HELL YOU ARE!" Gregory rolled up his sleeves and tried to push Jackson out of the way and he pulled out his gun and pressed it to his chest

"Jackson don't!" Elizabeth feared for her son's life despite the fact that he was the one holding the gun

Gregory chuckled "You ain't gonna shoot me Ford I know that"

"You sure about that?" Jackson asked his finger puling on the trigger

Gregory took a hold of the gun and clutched it and he said to him in a low haunting tone "You shoot me and I'll wring your fucking neck"

"Daddy don't!" Olivia cried out "please don't!"

"You hear that?" Gregory asked taunting Jackson now "your sister doesn't want me to kill you either and that's what's going to happen if make the stupid move you're thinking of doing now"

"Jack!" Olivia called again "Jack please!"

"Who's going to be there to protect her and her sister from all the evil fucks in the world if big brother is dead?"

"You fucking bastard!" Jackson hissed through his teeth knowing what he did

"So what's it going to be Ford? What are you going to do---"

BANG!

 

"...like I said the bastard had it coming" Jackson concluded "and don't you ever again tell me what I did was a sin when that fucker did way worse than me"

"And that's my story of why I'm in this hell hole" he added "because I refused to show remorse for a piece of shit like him"

"Okay" Keith said a little speechless now but had a better understanding now of why nobody really went out of their way to piss Jackson off except Wilson

"Would anybody else like to share their story? Aaliyah how about you---"

"Al" she cut him off "my name is Al"

"Right" Keith said thinking to himself that he didn't get paid enough listening to loons talk about their fucked up issues "well it says here your name is Aaliyah---"

"Al!"

"Hey if she wants to be called Al then call her Al" Jackson said speaking up for her. She was going through enough shit already she didn't need one of the counselors chastising her

"Okay Al would you like to tell us why you're here?"

"....I killed my mother," she quietly revealed and that surprised Jackson as well as everybody else in the room. Al was petite and gentle looking young woman with a gentle spirit. Her mother must have really drove her off the deep end for her to do that

"Would you like to tell us why?"

"No"

"Aaliyah you're required to---"

"I SAID NO!"

Al proceeded to mumble to herself and rock in her chair back and forth and the room grew silent. The only sound in the room was her mumbles and whimpers

"I'll get one the nurses to escort you into the hall---"

"No" Jackson said getting up "I'll escort her she's a person she doesn't need to be drugged every time you professionals can't handle her"

Keith didn't even object after hearing Jackson's story he wasn't going to push his buttons anymore. However the same young man who told the story of why he killed his stepfather spoke softly to Al and seemed to calm her down.

Everyone watched as Jackson gently took Al's fidgeting hand and led her out the room. Jackson knew Keith didn't give a shit as he could hear him drone on as if what just happened wasn't important.

"Anyone else want to tell their story?"

 

 

 

FOUR by marchpisces92
Author's Notes:

GRAPHIC CONTENT READ WITH CAUTION

FOUR

Al broke a slice of bread that she had snuck in her pocket from dinner and smiled as the ducks from the pond made their way to greet her.

"Ducky!" four and a half year old Aaliyah giggled "Daddy look ducky!"

Cyril Nelson chuckled and kneeled down to his daughter's level and pressed a few breadcrumbs into her palm.

Aaliyah startled a little as the birds made their way over she wasn't that much bigger than the ducks and they way they moved their wings flapping them scared her. The duckies were pretty from a distance but up close they were intimidating.

"Daddy..."

"It's okay" Cyril comforted her "the duckies just want some of this bread"

"Bread?"

"Yup you can feed the duckies," Cyril explained taking her tiny hand in his guiding her in tossing a few crumbs. Aaliyah giggled in amusement as the ducks quickly nibbled at the ground for the crumbs.

"Daddy the bread is yummy to the duckies!" Cyril kissed the little girl's chubby cheek and she giggled teasing her "You still scared of the duckies?"

"No" Aaliyah proclaimed, "let's feed them some more Daddy!"

Cyril laughed and they spent the whole afternoon with their ducky friends at the pond and from that day on he took his daughter to feed them every Sunday afternoon.

 

"I swear I'm going to cut all your hair off one of these days..." Valerie Jones grumbled "if it wasn't for your daddy being half Indian I wouldn't be going through this...hair too damn confused...don't know which texture it want to take...negro or Walapai...."

"Momma don't cut my hair" Aaliyah cried

"Oh hush up child ain't nobody cutting this damn hair" her mother huffed snatching her shoulders between her knees "this would be easier if you was a boy and stop all that damn squirming been braiding this head of yours for too long"

"It hurts Momma"

"Girl that damn Walapi or whatever your daddy is got you tender headed" Valerie

"I'm not hurting you"

"I love Daddy"

Valarie snorted at that "I know you do and that's all you talk about I don't ever hear you say you love me though I'm the one who gave birth to your ass"

"I do love you Momma"

"Girl turn your damn head around"

Aaliyah was used to her mother saying the words damn and shit a lot, which she couldn't understand because she was taught not to use those words. Perhaps only grown ups were allowed to use those words.

The doorbell rung and much to Valerie's frustration Aaliyah jumped up

"That's Daddy!"

"I heard the damn bell just like you did" she said annoyed

"Daddy is taking me to see the duckies!"

"You see those damn ducks every Sunday you ain't leaving this house looking like Buckwheat"

The doorbell rung again and Valerie grumbled, "I heard you the first time damn!"

As soon as Valerie opened the door to her tiny one bedroom apartment Aaliyah ran into Cyril's arms.

"Daddy!"

"There's my Liyah!"

Valerie scowled in jealousy over Aaliyah swooning over Cyril perhaps she didn't understand since her own father was absent for her life; at the same time she was pissed.

Aaliyah was a beautiful child and favored Cyril from the shape her button nose to her honey brown skin.

Valerie was always the ugly duckling of the family with her mocha brown skin and wide nose so when her daughter was born everyone on her side of the family was anxious to meet her.

"Thank God that baby look like her daddy!"

"Val was never that pretty must be that Indian blood"

Valerie found herself getting pissed and she snapped at both of them "Aaliyah girl get your little behind back over here so I can finish your hair"

"Daddy are we still seeing the duckies?"

"Yes we are let Momma finish your hair" Cyril said taking a seat on the couch across from them.

"Have her back before eight Cyril" Valerie said coldly interrupting their little interaction "the child has preschool in the morning"

 

Father and daughter were standing in front of their favorite area of the park tossing breadcrumbs to their duck friends. It was a gorgeous fall day in early November and was rather warm to for this time of year.

Aaliyah noticed that as soon as some of the ducks were fed they took to the sky forming a V pattern and were flying altogether in one direction. Their quack and honks sounded in the wind.

"Daddy where are the duckies going?"

"Winter's coming" Cyril explained, "they're going South"

"Why?" the curious little girl asked "I thought they liked it here"

"They do but they don't like the cold and snow"

"I like snow"

Cyril chuckled "I know you do"

"Will they come back?"

"They sure will as soon as spring comes again right around your birthday" Cyril explained "they'll be flying back just to see you"

Aaliyah giggled

"Liyah" Cyril said seriously now "Daddy's going to be going away soon too"

"No Daddy not you too"

"I have to baby" Cyril said "remember how I explained to you how I'm apart of the military?"

Aaliyah nodded

"Well sometimes I have to go where I am asked to go to do my job," he said explaining it the best way a four-year-old could understand "I have to do my job to take care of you and Momma"

Cyril hadn't been called in since before Valerie was even showing with Aaliyah and didn't think he'd be called again until she was at least in middle school and old enough to understand.

"Are you coming back?" Aaliyah asked, "we have to go to the Grand Camyum"

"Grand Canyon" Cyril chuckled "and yes I'll come back to take you there for your birthday"

"I love you Daddy"

"I love you too Aaliyah"

 

"...at least now I know where some of your meals are going"

Al turned around to see Jackson walking towards her as the last of the breadcrumbs were consumed by the ducks. The sun was setting and night was falling. Some of the ducks took to the sky in their annual V formation to head south.

A tear fell down her face when Al realized the last time she watched ducks fly south was twenty-two years ago and her father was by her side.

"You okay?"

"....yeah" Al replied not very convincing

"It's time for dinner"

"I'm not hungry"

"You have to eat something---

"I said I'm not hungry"

Jackson looked at Al and she knew that he didn't believe her at the same time she didn't want him to feel the need to come to her rescue every time she got upset.

Al was pretty much used to being labeled as crazy and people leaving her be so she didn't know how to deal with Jackson.

"You have to eat something Al"

"I'll be fine I'm going to my room"

"Let me---"

"I can walk myself"


"Daddy's coming home soon" Aaliyah said at the breakfast table it was a week before her fifth birthday.

Valerie knew this looking at the calendar it was now March 13th and Cyril did say something about coming home on the 20th but she didn't want to entertain that thought to her daughter.

"Is he now?" Valerie snorted, "that man been gone almost five months he ain't coming back---"

"Yes he is Momma" the little girl insisted, "he told me he would"

"First of all I don't know who the hell you raising your voice at" Valerie said "second your daddy says a lot of things that don't make it true"

"Daddy said he'd be home for my birthday"

"And?" Valerie said annoyed now "I'll be here too I'm the one pushed you out and you tore up my damn pussy you ungrateful little bitch"

Aaliyah figured her mother was really mad now because she never called her a bitch before.

"What you looking all confused for?" Valerie spat "finish your breakfast I still got to drop you off before I go to work"

Aaliyah reluctantly put another forkful of waffles in her mouth but felt uneasy and her mother ordered her to go get her jacket so they could get moving.

"Daddy is going to come back isn't he?"

Valerie didn't answer a news blurb sounded on the television as a special report came on

"....locals say that the attack was pretty fatal among the causalities fifteen pronounced dead, eight injured, and three with lost limbs...."

"The bomb's damage was so serve that one U.S. solider Cyril Nelson was lucky to escape his impending death however he has permanently lost his not one but two of his legs making him bound to a wheelchair"

Valerie crossed her arms across his chest as she listened to the news report and she was shocked to see Cyril. Her child's father who once stood like a tall mighty fortress at six foot three was now reduced to being in a wheelchair.

Where his tree trunk legs used to be were now covered ends with the pants balled up.

"...I'm fortunate to be alive" Cyril told the news reporter "although it means the end of my military career at least I can be a more active and present father to my daughter...."

Valerie snorted as she cut off the television "Yeah okay we'll see about that"

 

This was going to be her second attempt at completing this puzzle. Al wanted to complete it, she needed to complete it. When Al found the puzzle box on the shelf she took it and went to the nearest vacant table.

Laying out 1,000 pieces on the table Al studied the picture on the box and began her process. When she was finished she'd finally see the Grand Canyon.

 

"You're what?"

"You heard me" Valerie said, "I'm getting full custody of Aaliyah and we're moving"

"You can't do that Valerie" Cyril insisted, "we have shared custody of her and we're not allowed live in two different states"

Valerie had come to the hospital that Cyril was at now just to see how pathetic he looked in a wheelchair. When she saw that she was right she knew she had the upper hand. Aaliyah hadn't stopped asking for her father for a week now and that really pissed her off.

Here she had spent four months being the main present and able-bodied parent and yet Aaliyah was crying for this no leg motherfucker?

"Cyril would even be able to be a good parent when you can't even walk anymore?"

Cyril frowned a little and said, "I can do the best I can Val she's my little girl"

"Well let's see" Valerie said now running through a whole check list "You won't be able to teach her to ride a bike, you won't be able to swim with her anymore, no more feeding no damn ducks"

"Oh any you won't be able to take her to the Grand Canyon" Valerie chuckled bitterly "ain't that something? I don't know what child her age wants to do that dumbass shit anyway"

"Val I was going to take her to my family's reservation the Hualapai Tribe are apart of my blood they are apart of Aaliyah's blood" Cyril tried to explain "my grandparents are still alive she has a chance to actually meet her great grandparents full Hualapai are you really going to take that from her?"

"Oh please" Valerie huffed "that child is black and society is going to see her as black not no damn Walapai or whatever"

"The only thing Native American about that child is that looser hair curl pattern"

"You're not taking her from me Valerie"

"Watch me besides I'm the mother it's going to work out in my favor anyway"

"I'm going to fight this"

"Don't fight too hard wouldn't want you to lose your arms too"

 

"Momma where's Daddy?" Aaliyah cried as Valerie drove her home from preschool "he missed my birthday he didn't even call"

Oh that motherfucker called alright  Cyril called three times on Aaliyah's birthday and Valerie deliberately didn't pick up the phone nor did she allow her five year old to answer the phone either.

Cyril left message on the answering machine throughout the week about going to court

All the way home Aaliyah cried "Daddy! Daddy!"

Once Valerie parked she yanked Aaliyah by the arm and dragged her to their apartment and smacked her hard across the face.

"Stop that damn crying right now!" Valerie hissed "or I'll really give you something to cry about!"

"But I want Daddy!" Aaliyah cried some tears now running down the stinging red-hot cheek that her mother slapped

"YOUR DADDY IS DEAD!"

Aaliyah looked at Valerie in disbelief as she tried to stop her tears "No he's not Momma"

"He is" Valerie said harshly "and he's not coming back so don't be asking for that motherfucker no more"

"Move" she continued to snarl at her "my feet hurt and now I have a damn headache from all that screaming and crying you was doing"

As her mother huffed into her bedroom talking about how the place was a damn mess Aaliyah could hear ducks in the distance quaking as they made their way back from the south.

Rushing to the window Aaliyah could see the birds flying across the pink/orange sunset sky.

The ducks came back just like her father said they would but where was he?

Valerie said her father was dead but Aaliyah didn't want to believe that she couldn't believe that. Her father was coming back.....wasn't he?

 

"Who cries while doing a puzzle?"

"Hey Jack your little girlfriend is throwing a fit again"

Some of the laughing from the patients made Al upset and she pushed the puzzle from her sending all of the pieces flying all over.

"SHUT THE FUCK UP!" Al yelled, "IT'S NOT FUNNY! MY DADDY IS COMING BACK!"

Al tried to frantically put some of the pieces back together. She began to panic when she realized she didn't remember which pieces went where.

Silas was coming back and they would go to the Grand Canyon. The Grand Canyon.

With the puzzle incomplete Al still couldn't see it and most of all she couldn't see Silas.

"DADDY!" Al cried "DADDY!"

Jackson quickly rushed over to see Al crying on the floor as she tried getting puzzle pieces back together. Al looked up at him and asked, "Where's my daddy?"

Jackson didn't know how to respond to that she was obviously going through another episode and all he could do was comfort her "Come on doll face you're okay---"

"I want my daddy..." Al cried into Jackson's shoulder and the other patients still watched snickering.

"All of you can go fuck off," Jackson said with no apology "go now!"

Not wanting to hear or see Al act out they all gladly left and Jackson felt helpless watching Al continue to grab at the pieces.

"Why don't we put the puzzle away?" Jackson suggested "it's clearly making you upset---"

"No" Al said "Daddy is taking me to the Grand Canyon he promised"

"Al---"

"He's coming back" she insisted "he is...he promised me"

"I'll tell you what" Jackson said "you can take the completed Grand Canyon picture from the box back to your room; I can hang it on your wall would you like that?"

"...yes"

 

"How's that?" Jackson asked as he put the last pushpin through on the wall. He stepped back to allow Al to admire it and he saw how much her face lit up at the poster.

"I take that as a yes then?"

"He's out there" Al said "he's not dead...my daddy is alive"

Jackson nodded as Al proceeded to run her hands across the poster as if she could feel the red soil of that famous Canyon.

"I want to go find him" Al continued to say "but I was barely five the last time I saw him so he probably wouldn't recognize me"

"I just....I need him"

 

"Aaliyah!" Valerie called "did you get the mail? I got to pay the damn light bill---"

Valerie stopped in her tracks when she saw her nine-year-old daughter staring at a letter.

"Cyril?" Aaliyah read, "that was Daddy's name. Momma I think this is from Daddy"

"Give me that shit!" Valerie said snatching the envelope from her daughter's hands

Aaliyah looked closely to see her mother's reaction and saw that she was getting furious. Valerie then tore the envelope in two....three....and four pieces. Pretty soon the pieces of shredded paper fell to the floor.

"Momma why did you----"

Valerie slapped Aaliyah across the face hard and she immediately flinched stepping back from her.

"What have I told you about looking through the damn mail little girl you don't pay no bills!"

"I didn't Momma I just saw Daddy's name and---"

"How many times I got to tell you that motherfucker is dead!"

"But---"

"Girl you must be hardheaded" Valerie said coldly "what part of your daddy is dead don't you understand?"

Aaliyah didn't answer but tears still rolled down her face and Valerie spat at her

"Crying over that son of bitch and he not the one taking care of you"

 

"Jackson" a nurse said from the doorframe of Al's room "it's late why don't you go settle down for the evening?"

Jackson looked over at Al who was still running her hands on the poster

"She'll be fine" the nurse insisted "we'll handle her and you'll see her in the morning"

Jackson nodded as much as he wanted to argue otherwise it was late and he wasn't supposed to be in the women's wing of the facility anyway.

"You're growing quite fond of her" the nurse observed

"I just don't like seeing her being treated like shit that's all" 

 

Al tossed and turned tangling herself in the sheets. The medicine the nurses gave her were supposed to make her feel at ease but instead made her feel groggy, irritable, and her body felt like it weighed a ton.

What Al couldn't hear were the footsteps making it's way to her room more specifically heavy footsteps...


Valerie was getting home from work when she saw her twelve-year-old daughter talking to some of the other girls on the block. Aaliyah was growing up being one year away from being an official teenager.

Puberty was setting in and her daughter was developing quite quickly. Hips and breasts just grew over night as well as messy bed sheets as the young girl was getting used to bleeding every month.

Valerie also noticed the attention from boys that Aaliyah was getting as well she knew why too; her daughter was very pretty. Valerie grew green with envy everyday because she didn't look like that at twelve. The hair that Valerie couldn't manage was now almost down to Aaliyah's waist.

Valerie hated that damn hair she knew that if Cyril had been fully black Aaliyah's hair wouldn't be that way it was be as nappy as hers.

Valerie saw Aaliyah blush and giggle as fourteen-year-old Shawn Jefferson talk to her as her other friends giggled close behind. Shawn scribbled something on a piece of paper and hand it to Aaliyah and she squealed in excitement.

 

The man stood at the frame of Al's room and watched her toss and turn in her sleep.

He rubbed the crotch of his pants until his member awakened and stood at alert. Reaching down the man proceeded to unbuckle his belt and lower the zipper as he made his way over to the young woman's bedside....


Valerie knew that Shawn gave her daughter his phone number. Aaliyah had eaten her dinner fast and was jumpy all through out. As soon as she scooped up the last of her beefaroni she immediately jumped up.

"You wash them dishes first girl," Valerie said tightly

"Yes Momma"

"Then after that you do your homework"

"It's Friday Momma"

"And?" Valerie snapped "you in seventh grade now I know they giving you some type of projects to do"

"I have a science project but it's not due until the end of the month"

Valerie watched as Aaliyah loaded the dishwasher and took note of the jeans she had on hugged her bottom a little too tight.

"And your period better show up at the end of the month too"

"What are you talking about Momma?"

"You heard me" Valerie said getting up to look Aaliyah in the eye "I saw that little nigga Shawn giving you his number is that why you was all jumpy during dinner? Was you planning on calling him?"

"I was going to ask you first Momma" Aaliyah said honestly "I like Shawn"

"I bet you do" Valerie said looking Aaliyah up and down

"We didn't do anything Momma---"

"That boy is two grades ahead of you!" Valerie snapped, "he's in high school don't tell me y'all ain't do nothing and then you turn up pregnant!"

"Momma Shawn didn't even kiss me"

"You know you think you're so pretty with all that hair and butt of yours don't you?"

"Momma what---"

Aaliyah was alarmed when Valerie grabbed hold of her arm and grabbed her roughly

"Momma you're hurting my arm!"

"I'm gonna see if you still a virgin" Valerie said pushing her daughter onto her pink twin bed and reached for the button on her jeans

"Momma no!"

"GIRL YOU BETTER STOP KICKING ME!" Valerie barked as she yanked the zipper down "YOUR ASS BETTER STILL BE A VIRGIN TOO!"

Aaliyah continued to kick and squirm but much to her fear her mother had managed to yank her jeans down.

"MOMMA STOP IT!"

Valerie ignored Aaliyah and tore her panties off and forced her legs apart.

"MOMMA! MOMMA NO! AHHH!"

 

Al couldn't keep her eyes open as the medicine was now starting to take affect. The man who came in her bedroom was now planting kisses on her cheek and neck and Al stirred trying to fight him off. She could barely even see him or make out who he was in her blurred vision.

"Shh it's okay girlie" he said "I just want to fun with you"

Al blindly tried to push the man off her but he had already pushed her pajama pants down and pulled her panties aside.

"I'm going to see if you're ready," the man said taking his index finger and spreading Al's thighs apart


"Yeah you still a virgin" Valerie said withdrawing her index finger

Aaliyah laid there frozen as she felt tears run down both sides of her face and her genitalia was now burning irritably given what her mother just did to her.

"Is that how you was planning on laying in front of that Shawn boy with your legs all spread open?" Valerie snorted at her "girl close your legs and put your damn clothes back on"

"Yes Momma"

"And when you done getting dressed get them clippers out the bathroom" Valerie said "I'm going to make sure you stay virgin for a long time"

 

"No Momma..." Al cried as the man tried to stimulate her by jamming his finger inside her numerously "Momma please stop...me and Shawn ain't do nothing"

The man was now getting annoyed that Al wasn't wet and was resisting him. The man spat on his finger and spread it on her genitalia.

"Yeah" the man chuckled as Al's body started to naturally lubricate "you're ready for me now aren't you girlie?"

Al didn't answer her head felt so heavy as if she had been hit with a ton of bricks.

The man then proceeded to enter her body and it wasn't long until Al completely blacked out.

 

"...for your own good" Valerie said as she ran the clippers one more time across Aaliyah's head "...should of done this a long time ago...Shawn ain't going to want to talk to your dyke looking ass now"

Tears fell down Aaliyah's face as more and more of her beautiful hair fell from her head to the kitchen floor. She didn't know what was worst her mother violating her body or her mother shearing all her hair like a sheep.

"....you gonna stay a virgin" Valerie said "cause ain't no boy going to want to fuck a girl that look like a boy"

When the clippers stopped Aaliyah looked up to see the close shaved boy cut her mother had just given her and more tears came to her eyes.

Valerie just laughed and said "Looks like I got a son now! I'm going to have to start calling you Al instead of Aaliyah!"

 

Al woke the next morning to the familiar painful throbbing between her legs as well as a massive headache. The bell rung for breakfast so Al knew she had to get up and start the day and hoped that Jackson wouldn't ask her too many questions today.

Then again Jackson was the only one who did ask her questions.

 

 

FIVE by marchpisces92

FIVE

Adam Griffin Ford had died well over twenty years ago however Jackson never forgot one particular conversation he had with his father about two years prior his death.

"Whoa! Nice throw!" Adam chuckled "somebody is going to be a pitcher one day"

"I'll get it Dad!"

Eight-year-old Jackson quickly went to retrieve the baseball eager to get back to playing. It was a rather warm fall afternoon for the end of October and father and son were spending quality time together.

Adam didn't get to send nearly as much time with Jackson or his wife Elizabeth as much as he liked because of his demanding job as a police officer. There were many things that Adam saw on the job that made him count his blessings everyday.

The most recent case Adam went through made him frown sadly as his son made his way back towards him.

"What's wrong Dad?" Jackson asked innocently

"Sit down Jack" Adam said patting the vacant space on a nearby bench beside him "I want to talk to you about something"

Jackson didn't like how grim his father's face got considering the smile he had a few minutes ago.

"Jack you know that I would never hurt you or your mother right?"

"I know Dad"

"I'm glad you know that"

"There's are lots of kids your age that unfortunately don't know that Jack" Adam said "the other day at work we had to help a boy about your age and his mother get away from his father"

"Was he hurting them?"

"Yes he was"

"But why would he do that Dad?" Jackson asked, "it's wrong"

"It is wrong" Adam said "I want you to know that I would never ever think of doing that you or your mother"

Jackson watched as Adam kneeled down to meet his young son's eye level.

"More importantly I want you to also know that as you grow up to never and I mean never put raise your hand to a woman or child"

"Why would I do that?"

"I know you wouldn't ever do that Jack" Adam said sincerely "but you need to understand that as a man you will be physically stronger than a woman or a child and you could you that advantage to be abusive"

"I won't ever do that Dad"

Adam hugged Jackson

"I love you Jack"

"I love you too Dad" the eight-year-old said, "can we play ball again?"

Adam chuckled taking the baseball as the two of them made their way back to the grassy field of the park.

"Of course go long son!"

Adam wouldn't live to see how much of an impression those words made on his now adult son.

 

It was November now yet Jackson knew he would still be stuck in this hellhole for another four months. Same shit day and day out.

"....Jackson are you listening to me?"

Jackson sighed looking at the clock it was only one in the afternoon and he was sitting in on one of his one on one counseling sessions with Keith.

"I'm sorry Tight Collar" Jackson said sarcastically "what were you saying again?"

"I was saying Mr. Ford" Keith spoke up a little annoyed by Jackson's insult "what are your plans when you leave Ivy Hill Rehabilitation?"

"To get back to the life I had before" Jackson said simply "working and just being the average Joe"

"There isn't anything you want to change about yourself?"

"Like what?"

"Well even though it was self defense you did murder a man Jackson"

"And?" Jackson asked getting annoyed now "I guess that makes me a murder now huh? That fucker had it coming but that doesn't mean that I'm bloodthirsty"

"Well I didn't necessarily mean you're that way" Keith said trying to back track now "I'm just trying to say that it can be difficult to get over"

"Trust me it wasn't hard to get over that prick" Jackson said "my own father was a cop he never approved of murder but since it was justified I know he'd be proud of me for not feeling any remorse"

"You really think you did the right thing?"

"Yes I do" Jackson said "why do you care since you think I'm going to hell anyway and if I am so be it

"I don't think that---"

"It's a sin to lie isn't it?"

Keith's mouth snapped shut and Jackson shook his head "Exactly look it's almost one thirty I'm pretty sure the 700 Club or Joel Olsten is still on"

Keith tried to quickly give Jackson instructions for their next session as he made his way out the door.

"I want a proper answer on Monday Jack meaning that you really sat down and thought about it---"

"Yeah, yeah, yeah" Jackson made his way out the door.

 

Al picked at freshly wrapped bandages that nurses put on her wrists this morning as she sat alone in her rocking herself back and forth on her bed. Al mumbled to herself completely humiliated and embarrassed that her door was wide open for the other patients to see her.

This was it.

She didn't have an escape.

The nurses found the last blade that she kept hidden under mattress. It caused Al great distress especially after nightly visitor came the night before.

She wanted that person to leave her alone.

She wanted that damn vein cut.

She wanted to die.

Why couldn't they just let her die?

"Liyah"

"Daddy?"

Al looked up and she swore she saw her father standing in the doorway of her bedroom.

Cyril Nelson smiled at her and Al felt giddy inside as she excited made her way towards him

"I missed you so much Daddy!"

The other patients and nurses took notice that Al had gotten up and was talking and laughing to herself at her doorframe. She wasn't addressing anyone in the hall was clearly having a hallucination.

"Liyah, Daddy has to go away now"

Al shook her head as Cyril then turned away and began to walk down the hall and she cried out after him

"Daddy no! Come back please! Don't leave me again!"

Much to Al's fear Cyril did not turn around at her pleas and continued walking down the hall. One of the nurses took a hold of her and Al freaked out trying to free herself from their hold.

"You don't understand that's my father!" she cried

"Aaliyah sweetie there's nobody there" the nurse explained, "you're just seeing things it's in your head----"

"No it's not!"

Al yanked her arm out of the nurses' grasp and immediately ran down the hallway chasing Cyril who did not turn around and kept a steady walk.

"DADDY! COME BACK! DADDY!"

 

"...We probably would have made it to the world series too if they hadn't traded Nicholson" Peter Bates said, "worst mistake ever he was the best damn pitcher we had"

"Are you kidding Phillip hits all of the bases faster" James Brock said

Most of the guys were in the Recreation room watching the first World Series game of the season that Sunday afternoon including Jackson. For once something else to watch besides Fox News or a mega church service being televised.

"I don't know guys" Jackson spoke up "my old man always said I'd be a good pitcher myself someday"

"Yeah and when is that going to be?" Spencer Hill asked "weren't you a truck driver before you landed yourself in here?

"Damn I'm not that old man" Jackson chuckled

"You're not but you're also not a spring chicken anymore either what are you? Thirty-seven?"

"Thirty-one"

"Same thing I will say though you're aging pretty well for a white dude"

"Gee thanks Spence" Jackson chuckled

"I'm serious" Spencer laughed, "no offense but most white people don't age well"

One thing Jackson could say that he would miss from Ivy Hill were these clowns despite their mental illnesses they were the best friends he had ever had.

"DADDY!"

The loud cry from the hall echoed into the Recreation room and immediately Jackson recognized that cry as Al's.

"DADDY NO! DADDY COME BACK!"

Cyril still hadn't turned around he was wearing the clothes that Al remembered he wore the last time she saw him as a four year old girl.

Al panicked when Cyril turned the corner again but it looked like he now vanished.

"DADDY---"

Al tripped on one her untied shoelaces and left the floor a crying mess now.

"Come back...come back please...please"

"She alright?"

"What the hell was that all about?"

Jackson rushed over to Al who had curled herself into a ball crying hysterically to a point where her face was red and her nose was a bit runny.

"You're okay doll face" he whispered pulling her into his arms "you're okay"

"My...daddy...he was here" she cried, "he really was...."

Jackson gently tried to get Al back on her feet but she lost her footing but what concerned him more was her eyes rolling to the back of her head.

"Al!"

Al fainted and the crotch of her pants stained bright red. She was bleeding.

 

"....Is Al okay?"

Jackson had been hanging around the nurses station since the ambulance came hours ago to transfer Al to the hospital. It was eight in the evening now and still Jack hadn't gotten any answers.

"She's stable now" the nurse reassured "she had already lost some blood from cutting herself early too she's recovering from the D&C they had to perform on her"

"D&C?"

"Aaliyah had a miscarriage Jack that's why she was bleeding so much"

Jackson stared at the nurse in disbelief

"Al...she...she was pregnant?!?"

"She was only twelve weeks along apparently---"

"TWELVE WEEKS?!?"

"Now Jack please calm down...Jack come back here!"

Jackson ignored the nurse and made his way down the hall. Both fists balled up and ready to swing. He knew the bastard who did it. He knew which bastard had a whole lot of hell to pay right now.

 

 

 

 

 

 

SIX by marchpisces92

SIX

It was movie night at Ivy Hill and everyone was gathered in the main social room that was bigger than the Recreation Room. The projector was up and was playing The Wizard of Oz.

Jackson rolled his eyes at the movie selection it was pathetic they were all adults but the staff insisted on G and PG rated movies. Never mind the fact it was close to Halloween and everyone was more interested in watching Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday the 13th.

Even the PG-13 Pirates of the Caribbean would be a better choice. No the staff pretty much treated them like children. They were being good sports about it though people who wanted to watch watched and people who didn't talked quietly amongst themselves.

Jackson noticed Al sitting by a window watching the rain fall outside. It was Sunday and it had been raining all day so Al wasn't able to feed the ducks today.

"They'll be waiting for you next Sunday I'm sure those dinner rolls are too delicious"

 Al looked up to see Jackson join her at the window giving her a little smile she nodded and turned her attention back outside.

"You alright doll face?"

"....yeah"

"You don't sound convincing"

Jackson noticed Al was yanking at her sleeve to hide her bandaged wrist. She cut herself again and recently too.

"Cut yourself?"

"I fell"

"Come on Al you and I both know that's not true"

Al gripped her other hand over her wrist "I don't want to talk about it"

Jackson swore he saw a tear roll down her face and she turned away from him

"Al..."

Al shivered violently when Jackson tried to reach out and pat her shoulder "...no"

Something else happened. Something sick and twisted

"Hey something happen?"

"My...um my...my period...."

With his mother and little sisters Jackson grew up in a household with women so he was familiar with things like that; which make the average guy feel uncomfortable. It was a rather touchy subject matter but it had to be serious if she was considering telling him about it.

"...never mind..."

"You can tell me"

"no"

It really felt like pulling teeth at this point but Jackson couldn't help Al unless she told him what was bothering her. Judging by her tears continuing to stream down something was bothering her.

"What are you two mumbling about back here? Shouldn't you be watching the movie?"

Much to Jackson's dismay Wilson came over to them as if they had invited him over

Al grew silent and twiddled with her thumbs nervously, which pissed Jackson off he didn't like the fact that Wilson was able to strike that fear in her.

"What do you have to say girlie---"

"Fuck off Wilson nobody was talking to you"

"Watch your mouth Jack or else---"

"Or else what?" Jackson asked now standing up to Wilson's eye level and the burly man chuckled at him. Wilson then stepped on Jackson's foot hard and he felt his big toe being jammed under his weight.

"You really want to find out?"

Before Jackson could answer he felt Al slip her hand in his. The look Al gave Jackson begging him not to fight got through to him as much as he wanted to fuck Wilson up he didn't want to do it in front of Al.

She was clearly scared of Wilson enough already

"That's right stay in your place" he chuckled "at least somebody knows theirs isn't that right girlie?"

Jackson balled up his fist and Al held on to him. Wilson sneered at both of them and walked away.

"...I didn't want him to hurt you"

"He wouldn't have hurt me" Jacksons said "Al what is it you were trying to tell me?"

"nothing"

"Al please"

"no..."

Jackson felt helpless as more tears fell down Al's cheeks but she refused to say more.

 

Her period...she had been trying to tell him that she was late. Al knew she was pregnant. She was more willing to kill herself than carry her rapist's baby to term.

Luckily Al didn't succeed in killing herself and because she miscarried she didn't have to have that baby which would have led her further into her depression.

Wilson did that to her Jackson knew it and he wasn't going to stand aside any longer while he continued to get away with the shit he was doing. This was a beat down that was long in the making for a while now.

"Jackson!"

He ignored the nurse and made his way to the disgusting guard's office without any intention of hesitation. There was the fat fuck now stuffing donuts in his face and laughing at an old rerun of Seinfeld.

Wilson leaned back as he laughed to reach for his bottle of Corona and suddenly before he knew it; it came crashing down on his head instead.

"What the hell---?"

Wilson now had Corona, broken glass, and a bit of blood running down his head into his mouth and eyes. Jackson didn't give him any time to respond as he continues to assault him. 

Grabbing Wilson by the collar of his shirt Jackson began to throw punches to his face without hesitation.

Just as Wilson was about to attack Jackson he quickly took a hold of his baton and began beating the crotch of his pants with no mercy. Wilson toppled over in pain with his hands trying to protect his balls.

"No fuck that!" Jackson spat at him angry now "move your fucking hands Wilson!"

"Jackson! Jack stop it!"

Some of the other nurses and guards came into the office to try and stop Jackson who looked like he had every intention of either crippling Wilson or killing him.

"Lucky I don't have a damn knife! I ought to fucking castrate you!"

Only the male guards were strong enough to pull Jackson off of Wilson now looked fucking pathetic piece of shit in his eyes. It pissed him off even further when he saw them helping Wilson to his feet.

"HE'S THE ONE WHO DID IT! HE FUCKING RAPED AL!"

"Jack calm down you getting this upset isn't going to help---"

"HE DID I KNOW HE FUCKING DID!"

"I didn't touch that girl---"

"LIAR!" Jackson cut him off "YOU'RE A FUCKING LIAR!"

Jackson knew and it was disgusting that he could see the look of fear and guilt that Wilson had on his face now because he knew what he had really done behind closed doors.

They locked gazes with each other as everyone went their separate ways and much to Jackson's dismay he was led into the hallway to be scolded by Keith.

"What the hell were you thinking attacking Wilson like that?"

"Did you not hear what I said he raped Al! He got her pregnant for crying out loud!"

"We don't know that for sure" Keith said "this is a terrible situation all around and we're trying to get some testing done to find out for sure---"

"Fuck testing I know it was him!"

"Jack you're in enough trouble right now don't make it worse"

"But that sick fuck isn't in trouble for sexual assault? That's rich"

Keith sighed trying to be patient with Jackson "We're going to fix this Jackson you just have to trust us---"

"And I'm sure that Al trusted you and the rest of the staff at one point too"

Keith didn't say anything and Jackson shook his head "You don't have a damn thing to say do? You know I'm right Tight Pants but I guess you don't want to be on the side of your own patients"

 

Al refused to leave her bedroom when she got back from the hospital. She refused to eat or drink. She refused to unravel from the fetal position that she laid on her bed in. Fresh tears fell down her cheeks to layer on top of the dried tears that she had.

Al felt so alone the only thing she remembered before she fainted was Cyril walking away from her even though she pleaded and pleaded for her father to come back.

The nurses had said she was just seeing things but she knew what she saw. She knew she saw him.

Al didn't know what they did to her at the hospital all she knew was the lower half of her body hurt as if her soul had been ripped from her body. She was tired but couldn't find sleep.

"Hey doll face"

Al looked up to see Jackson come in her room with a tin can full of some flowers that were picked from the courtyard outside.

"It's not much like those fancy bouquets at the store" Jackson said placing the flowers on her bed stand "but I figured you would need some sunshine in here"

Jackson pulled up a chair to sit at her bedside and Al turned away from

"Go away" she whispered

"Al listen to me" Jackson said trying to comfort her "I'm here"

"No...I don't...l-l-leave me alone"

Jackson gently pushed Al back over to face him again and pulled down her bed cover to discover that she had started to cry again.

"Go away....go away" she could barely say between her sobbing. Her eyes were blood red from lack of sleep and tears. Her face wet from tears. Her nose dripping. Her hair was messy.

Just looking at Al this way made Jackson more pissed that everyone had stopped him from ripped Wilson the new one he deserved.

"I'm not going anywhere Al" Jackson said taking some tissues and wiping her face "I'm not going anywhere"

For the remainder of that afternoon Jackson stayed by Al's bedside. The nurses didn't even scold Jackson for being in her bedroom since he was the only one coming through to her right now.

Given the circumstances it would be hypocritical for them to tell him to get out of her room. It was obvious Jackson was not the one who assaulted Al anyone could see that by the way he beat up Wilson.

With Jackson by her side Al was able to find sleep at least for the time being. As much as Jackson didn't want to be stuck at Ivy Hill for another four months perhaps he was here for Al.

Jackson didn't feel comfortable leaving here if Al was going to be here by herself with nobody to confide in. Ironically enough despite the fact that he had killed a man God had chosen Jackson to be Al's guardian angel and he couldn't bare the thought of letting her get hurt again.

Ivy Hill could do all the DNA testing they wanted but Jackson knew and unless Wilson had a death wish he better not catch him trying that shit again because he would succeed in killing him.

Killing him with the same remorse that Jackson had when he killed Gregory Montgomery, which was none.

 

 

 

 

 

SEVEN by marchpisces92

SEVEN

It had been two weeks since Al's miscarriage and the staff was getting concerned. When Al came to Ivy Hill she was already reserved but now it seemed that it was getting worse. Al refused to leave her bedroom for any circumstances.

It had gotten to a point where the nurses had to force Al out of the room and lock her out which didn't help her very much since she spent an hour everyday screaming and punching the door.

What pissed Jackson off the most was that Wilson was still fucking at the facility because the staff still insisted on getting fucking testing done. The most they did was just give him day shift and weekends off so there was no worrying about him sneaking into Al's room.

One particular Sunday morning at breakfast Jackson was surprised by Al's request.

"...please" she whispered pushing her spoon around in her barely touched oatmeal "...I don't want to be alone"

"You won't be alone," Jackson said "it's the women's washroom there should be at least one or two others there I'm not allowed in there"

"I know....but could you wait in the hallway please?"

"Would that make you feel better if I waited there?"

"yes"

Al was in desperate need of a shower and her hair needed washing she really had been neglecting her hygiene because she didn't want to leave her bedroom. 

Taking a shower meant leaving her room. It also meant taking off her clothes and the last time her clothes were off....she just didn't feel comfortable going to the washroom alone.

"He won't be here for long," Jackson said reading her mind "I made sure of it"

Al didn't say anything she just nodded

"Eat," he said "we can go over to the washroom after you get something in your stomach"

 

The women's washroom on the other side of the facility and at twelve noon on a Sunday it was empty. Al had her washcloth, a bar of soap, a towel, her toothbrush, and some shampoo. A fresh change of clothes in hand too.

"You have everything you need?" Jackson asked

"yes"

"I'll be right over there" he said pointing to a bench "take your time"

"okay"

Al entered the washroom and picked a shower stall in the back. She tested the water to make sure it was warm and stripped down to stand under it pulling the curtain back.

The water did soothe her skin and she felt clean already. Al began to lather the shampoo into her hair...

Aaliyah smiled a little as she ran her fingers through her fuzzy new growth. Her hair was growing back it was still short but it was growing back. She wished for her hair to grow back in it's full thick state but if her mother ever found out.

"Al!" Valerie yelled banging on her bedroom door "what the hell you doing in there?"

"I'm coming Momma!"

Aaliyah quickly put on a cap on her head and jammed all of her curls under

"AL! I KNOW YOU HEARD ME!"

Aaliyah made her way to the kitchen to get dinner ready for her mother. Valerie had a cigarette dangling from the corner of her mouth and mumbled about some bills.

"Can't wait until you're eighteen" she mumbled, "then you can contribute to some of these damn bills"

"Yes Momma" Aaliyah said pulling out some things from the fridge

"Make sure you season that chicken real good" Valerie said, "you ain't going to have me eating nasty shit"

As Aaliyah reached up to get some seasoning from the cabinet her cap fell to the floor.

Aaliyah felt a heavy silence fall over the room and she knew she was in trouble

"Go get them clippers"

"Momma please I want my hair---"

"I SAID GO GET THEM CLIPPERS!"

A bit of shampoo got in Al's eyes and it didn't help that she was crying a bit

Aaliyah could hear the low buzz of the clippers right behind her ears and flinched at the first cut. Valerie yanked her back into place and growled at her

"Stop that!" she said "if you hadn't been letting this hair grow you wouldn't be in this chair right now!"

Tears streamed down Aaliyah's face. She would be sixteen in a few weeks and she just wanted to look pretty and feel pretty. With her hair cut short again she wouldn't be able to have that feeling.

"I'm doing this for your own good" Valerie said "I know that Shawn boy ain't looking at you no more in fact he talking to that Puerto Rican girl down the block"

"I ain't gonna have you walking around here full of yourself thinking you so damn pretty" her mother went on to say "then next thing you know you come up in this house pregnant"

"But Momma I'm not doing anything---"

"Stop lying!" Valerie barked "last time I checked your purse it was loose!"

Aaliyah was disgusted by her mother's accusation. Did she not realize that she damaged her daughter's hymen a long time ago? It was probably "loose" because her mother was always "checking" her

"There" Valerie said as soon as she was finished and pushed Aaliyah to the kitchen floor "now clean up your damn hair and get back to cooking I'm hungry"

Al washed the shampoo out of her hair and washed it go down the drain with some of her tears as well. Maybe she would feel better once her skin was clean. Lathering up some soap on her fluffy washcloth Al began to scrub her body.

She looked her arms and wrists and wondered why God wouldn't just take her; Lord knows she cut herself many times for it to happen yet she was still here. 

Al gently traced the jagged scar that ran across her left breast. Valerie had been so obsessed with making Al look more and more like a boy that she almost cut her daughter's breasts off.

Tears resumed.

Aaliyah got up early to bandage her breasts up so that her chest would appear flat as possible. She made sure to wash in the sink since she didn't want Valerie to wake to running shower water.

Aaliyah winched at the slight pain and saw that the cut that her drunken mother inflicted on her left breast a few nights ago had opened once more and was bleeding.

She thought about telling her counselor at school but she didn't want to cause anymore of a fuss.

Aaliyah also knew that Valerie would only become more enraged if she went to authorities anyway. She wished she were still with Cyril because she knew that her father would never treat her this way.

Aailyah hadn't seen or heard from her father in over ten years now.

The water had gone from hot to warm and it would be cold soon and Al was just about to finish up when she stopped at the juncture of her thighs.

Al hesitated.

Aaliyah was finishing up some homework when Valerie burst her way into her bedroom with the kitchen calendar in hand.

"Momma---"

"You pregnant?!?"

"What?" Aaliyah said confused "no Momma I'm not pregnant---"

"Then how come you didn't mark the calendar this past month?!?"

"I didn't get my period this month because I'm stressed---"

"Stressed?!?" Valerie demanded, "what the hell are you stressed about?!? you barely sixteen"

"Momma I'm not pregnant" she tried to calmly explain "sometimes I get busy with school and my chores and I stress----"

"Bullshit!" Valerie cut her off "I'm checking you!"

"Momma please no!" Aaliyah begged already feeling her body tense up "don't---"

Al had dropped her washcloth now and the water was cold now the only thing hot were the tears rolling down her cheeks.

"Shh it's okay girlie" he said "I just want to have fun with you

"I'm going to see if you're ready," the man said taking his index finger and spreading Al's thigh's apart

Al tried to pick her washcloth back up but felt paralyzed as if she couldn't move as she recalled the darkest memory that she had kept to herself for eight years now.

"Stop it!" Aaliyah cried "Momma get off of me!"

"You better stop fighting me girl!" Valerie said yanking at her daughter's jeans to come off "I ain't raise you to be a little fast ass ho! I knew I should have sliced them damn titties of yours off!"

Aaliyah didn't she couldn't stand for her mother violating her body again. She heard her panties rip and felt Valerie roughly yanking her thighs apart.

"STOP IT!"

"GET OFF!"

"I don't know who you raising your voice at! Keep still right now---"

Aaliyah pushed her mother with all of her might off of her with her knees and legs.

Valerie fell backwards from the bed and the back of her head on the nightstand.

Aaliyah heard a loud crack and suddenly the room was quiet.

"Momma?"

She peered over her bed to see the woman who gave birth to her on the floor with her eyes glassed over and a pool of blood trickling out of her head.

Valerie Jones was dead.

"You alright in there Al?"

Al jerked up at Jackson's concerned voice as he knocked on the washroom door and realized she had been in the shower for a while now.

She turned the water off and felt her skin pebble with goose bumps. Al hadn't thought about the day she killed her mother in a long time.

"Al?"

"I'm...I'm...fine"

"You sure?"

"Yes....I'll be right out"

 

Jackson got up as soon as the door opened to see Al come out freshly showered in a clean sweater and jeans. Her hair was a still a little wet and Jackson noticed how rosy her cheeks were.

Al was gorgeous what the hell did he ever see in Melanie?

"You look good" Jackson said, "do you feel better?"

"a little bit yes"

"Everything okay?"

"Yes" Al said a little quickly

"You look like you were crying Al"

"No I just...got a lot of shampoo in my eyes"

She was lying Jackson knew she was but he didn't want to get her upset. She did take quite a while in the shower and he was willing to bet she spent most of the time crying.

"It was an accident"

"What was?"

"My mother" Al finally admitted, "I didn't mean to kill her....it just happened"

"Do you want to talk about it?"

Al looked up at Jackson to see his open, caring, and honest face and wondered why he had even been labeled as a sociopath.  He was the first person she trusted in a long time.

"Yes I do"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

EIGHT by marchpisces92

EIGHT

Jackson knew that Al felt ashamed of killing her mother. By now he knew that the young woman had very few words Jackson could read her body language and Al's actions had always spoke louder than her words. The whole time she told him about her bitch of a mother Al couldn't bring herself to look at him.

"I just...I want...I want my daddy" she whispered, "that's...that's all I want"

"Al when's the last time you've seen your father?"

"I don't know" she said honestly "I was four maybe five"

"You've haven't seen or heard from your father in twenty years?"

"He's still alive" Al said defensively "I know he is"

Jackson knew exactly how she felt and she didn't want to think otherwise. Al had to believe her father was still out there somewhere it was the only peace of mind that she had.

"I'm not crazy" Al said softly " and I know people think I am it's just bad things always happened to me since my daddy and I were separated"

"So your mother really made you believe that your father was dead?"

"Yes"

"Your father have anything to do with the Grand Canyon?" Jackson guessed

For the first time probably since he met her Al gave a little smile that really struck something inside of him.

"He told me he'd take me there someday"

Tears rolled down Al's face and whispered

"I just...I just want to see him again"

Jackson gently rubbed Al's shoulder in comfort but she turned away from him

"Al?"

She didn't say anything

"Aaliyah?"

Al brought her knees to her chest until she was in a fetal position. Seeing that made Jackson want to move heaven and earth for Al to find her father; because it seemed like that her world had been a living hell since she was separated from him.

"It's getting late" Jackson noted. The two of them had spent the day on the couch in the recreation room just talking and nobody disturbed them.

"Are you hungry? it's probably time for dinner"

"No"

"Well let's try to eat something okay" Jackson said "I don't like it when you don't eat Al"

"....okay"

"Hey it will be okay Al I promise"

 

Just as Jackson predicted Al did not eat much but she did manage to eat a small cup of soup; it was better than nothing. Ivy Hill was getting ready to settle down for the evening as everybody was going to bed.

Jackson was on his way back to his room after seeing Al to hers when he heard some of the staff talking at the nurse's station.

"....she's been here for a while and still no progress"

"Yes she's very stubborn"

"There's nothing more we can do"

"The facility over at Sunrise handles patients like her well" Keith said "we can arrange to have her relocated there next week---"

"Arranged to have who relocated where?"

"Jackson? You shouldn't have heard that---"

"Well I did" Jackson cut them off "you're getting rid of Al?"

"Jack please---"

"You're not sending Al anywhere"

"We're just thinking about nothing is set in stone"

"She's not going anywhere"

"Jack we all care about Aaliyah---"

"Bullshit! I'm the only one who cares about her" Jackson said angry now "you let Wilson rape her!"

"We didn't know about---"

"Fuck that you knew! Al isn't going anywhere she needs me!"

One of the nurses gently laid her hands on Jackson's shoulders and tried to calm him down.

"Jackson we know that you've grown quite found of Aaliyah but there is nothing more we can do for her. We're sending her to a nice facility that will help her"

"Bullshit"

"Jack don't argue---"

"Shove it Tight Collar" Jackson cut Keith off "I can't believe I'm hearing this so it's best to just keep passing Al around instead of actually helping her?"

"Jack---"

"No I don't want to hear anymore excuses"

Keith and the nurses were left confused by Jackson's words but what they didn't know was he already had a plan in motion.

 

"What?!?"

"I'm serious"

"Dude really? You know how much trouble you'll get in?"

"I'm not getting caught"

Jackson rummaged through some of the things he had managed to keep from the staff. Under his mattress he had hidden away the keys to his truck, which had been parked in the back for months and his wallet.

"Damn" Jackson muttered as he counted his money he only had two hundred dollars stashed away. How far could he get them with only two hundred dollars? He needed gas, some food of course, anything else they might need too.

"Jack come on just think about this" Peter tried to reason with his roommate "you're just going to run off with some retarded chick?"

"Don't talk about Al that way" Jackson said firmly "she's not retarded there's nothing wrong with her"

"Okay fine but why are you doing this Jack?"

"These fuckers don't want to help her that's why" Jackson replied putting away his truck keys, wallet, money, some clothes and toiletries into a duffel bag "she needs me Pete I know this"

"Where are you going to go?"

"I'm taking her to the Grand Canyon we're going to look for her father"

"Grand Canyon?!?" Peter exclaimed "dude that's all the way in Arizona"

"Yeah I know" Jackson said knowing that he would have to drive through quite a few states since they were in Ohio

"And you're willing to go through this?"

"Yes I am" Jackson said firmly "if these so called doctors keep pushing Al the way they're pushing her she will actually kill herself and I can't let that happen"

"Looks like I'm not going to be able to talk you out of this huh?"

"No Pete you're not"

Peter sighed

"When do you plan on leaving? Or should I say sneak out of here?"

"Sunday"

"This coming Sunday?"

"Yup" Jackson replied, "I'm going to need you to cover for me"

"Yeah I can do that" Peter agreed, "I'm going to miss you Jackson and I hope you know what you're doing"

"I'll miss you too Pete and trust me I know exactly what I'm doing"

 

Jackson had everything set that Sunday afternoon. His truck was packed and ready to go in the parking lot of the facility with just of enough gas to at least get them out of the city. It was the usual free time for the patients two hours before dinner and Jackson found Al with her breadcrumbs for the ducks.

Now if he could just convince her to come with him because he wasn't going to let. Jackson sat down beside Al and she managed to give him a little smile.

"Jack"

"Al"

Jackson didn't know how to start the conversation so he just went for the punch.

"Al I'm getting you out of here"

"What do you mean?"

"I'm taking you away from here" he repeated, "this place isn't good for you"

"I can't....I never.....I don't want to get in trouble" Al said softly obviously scared "what if we get caught?"

"I'm not going to let that happen" he reassured, "I promise

"...no"

Al tried to resume feeding the ducks but Jackson gently took her hand in his squeezing it a little

"Aaliyah look at me" he said firmly but softly "if I don't get you out of here today they are going to send you to another facility next week and I won't be there with you"

"I don't want that to happen" Jackson continued to explain "and I know you don't want that to happen either"

"But where will we go?"

"Arizona" Jackson replied, "I'm going to help you find your father"

"Really?"

"I'm going to do the best I can" he replied, "we can also see the Grand Canyon just like you always wanted"

The look on Al's face was that of mixed emotions she seemed excited but reserved; however time was running out.

Jackson looked over Al's shoulder to see Peter on the basketball court giving him the signal that it was now an hour until everybody would be headed to dinner so they had to get going.

It was now or never.

"Let's go Al" he said urgently "everything will be okay I promise"

"But....but my things....the rest of my clothes---"

"All get you some more clothes and whatever else you need but we need to go now"

"Okay"

 

It was late by the time Jackson was able to get them from a comfortable distance away from Ivy Hill and the city it was in. It was almost eleven and it was dark and cold.

The heat in the truck wasn't that strong so Al was bundled up in some of the thick blankets that Jackson was able to take from his room at Ivy Hill. Speaking of Ivy Hill at this point they probably know now that the two of them took off and were probably after them.

As long as Jackson got them out of Ohio by tomorrow evening they had nothing to really worry about. Al had mostly been quiet for most of the afternoon and well into the evening and even took a little nap.

"You hungry?" Jackson asked, "there's a McDonalds at the next rest stop and I have to make a phone call"

"That's fine"

"Al it's okay to say that you're hungry"


"Mommy! I'm hungry!"

"Mommy!"

"Mommy! Where are you?"

Six-year-old Aaliyah closed the empty fridge and went looking for her mother. It was almost midnight and she wasn't home but sometimes her mother did work late. Valerie always told her to go for what she knew.

Aaliyah checked the pantry to find a box of Frosted Flakes with just a little bit at the bottom. There was no milk so the little girl sat on the kitchen floor and shoved handful after handful into her mouth until the box was empty.

Aaliyah was still hungry but she had no choice but to wait until Valerie got home; and hopefully she'd have some food when she got there.

 

"...yes I'm hungry" Al admitted letting her guard down

"Nothing a juicy burger and fries won't fix" Jackson said "it's ten times better than that mush at Ivy Hill"

"Jack...can I um...can I have a chocolate milkshake too?"

After all the shit Jackson saw Al go through in the short amount of months he knew her; he wanted to give her all the chocolate milkshakes in the world.

"Of course you can"

The McDonald's meal was the first time Jackson saw Al actually eat and not just nibble. Al ate and she ate well. Jackson knew that they would have to get actual food eventually but for their first meal out of that hellhole greasy burgers, hot fries, and milkshakes hit the spot.

 

"Jackson Adam-Griffin Ford! Where are you?" Elizabeth Montgomery asked concerned on the other line "Ivy Hill just called and told me that you and another patient disappeared from the facility"

After they finished a late dinner Al was curled up in the truck with the blankets while Jackson made a call to his mother on the pay phone close by.  Jackson explained the whole predicament to his mother and she was still a little troubled.

"Jack you do know that Arizona is on the other side of the country right?"

"Yes Mom I know"

"What are you going to do after you help this young lady find her father?" Elizabeth pointed out "are you going to leave her or stay in her life?"

Jackson didn't even think about that. As much as he wanted to help Al get her life back together and find her father he wasn't sure if he was ready to let her go. Just like the nurses at Ivy Hill pointed out Jackson was becoming quite found of Al.

"I don't know Mom" Jackson said honestly "but I do know that she wasn't going to get better there I had to get her out of there"

"You're noble and stubborn" Elizabeth said supportivately "just like Adam you are your father's son and it looks like I'm not going to change your mind at this point"

 "Jack you be careful okay? I know you'll take good care of that young lady"

"I will Mom" he replied watching Al from the phone booth "I love you too"

Jackson ended the call and got back into the truck and looked over at Al.She was asleep but some of her curls fell in her face; Jackson reached over and tucked those curls behind her ear. 

Al was an angel a broken angel but an angel nonetheless. Al was his angel to protect and Jackson was going to do just that.

 

 

 

 

This story archived at https://www.valentchamber.com/viewstory.php?sid=3533