Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Rating: T, mature situations, profane language. Disclaimer: I don't own anything that belongs to HBO, Alan Ball and Charlaine Harris. I only put a spin on things. Author's notes: Thanksgiving dinner at Aunt Vie's. Enjoy. Leave your comments too folks. I like getting some feedback. Thanks.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


CHAPTER 8: Forgive

 

After she read two more chapters from her accounting book, had breakfast and swept the house, Tara joined her mother out back and helped her hang up the laundry. The sun shone brilliantly and the sky was clear. In the background, the leaves on the trees were already in their full Autumn glory. With the air being so cool and dry on top of which there was a light breeze, one could safely say that their laundry ought to be dry within a few hours of being put on the line. Other than that, it was shaping up to be a lovely day. Eager to see Sam again, Tara counted the hours and minutes before he arrived to take her and her mother to Aunt Vie's. She sighed and wished to be in his arms feeling calm and safe. Fishing two clothes-pins from out of a bag, she said,

“Everybody's gonna love your pumpkin pie and fruit salad, mamma.

“Really?” Lettie stretched to pin a pair of damp jeans on the line.

“Of Course they will. You know you're a good cook. Would be nice if you had your own catering business.”

“Yes it would. It's a dream of mine. But wishin' an' dreamin' ain't gonna buy me a three-thousand dollar commercial stove fo' sure..”

“Well your one and only customer here enjoyed your breakfast this morning..” Tara said trying to lighten the mood while pinning a pair of socks on the line.

“Child, I don't know where you put it but you practically inhaled my hoe cakes.” Lettie chuckled nudging the basket of laundry at her feet.

“Sam likes hoe cakes too. They're his favorite.” Tara said bending down to pick up a blouse.

“Hey, let's invite him over next Sunday for breakfast. I'll cook.”

“OK. I'd like that.” Tara said enthusiastically and smiled at the idea of the three of them having breakfast together. She thought that it would be a great way for Lettie and Sam to get better acquainted.

After a brief pause, Lettie asked, “You serious 'bout Sam?”

“Yes I am.” Tara replied in a low voice behind a smile her mother caught sight of.

“Then what's takin' you so long?”

“So long to do what Mamma?” Tara asked picking up a pillow case from out the basket on the ground.

“To move in with him.”

“You know I can't and I won't. He already asked and I turned him down..” Tara's voice dipped and wasn't aware of her mother watching. Tara doubted that her mother would understand how much she wanted to be with Sam, and so kept this to herself.

From across sheets draped on the line that separated them, Lettie silently looked at her daughter and saw a hint of sadness in her face. Once again, her daughter had put her ahead of her own happiness. A young woman of her daughter's age ought to be living her own life and if she could help it, she was going to make sure that this time she does.

“But baby girl, most nights you sleep over at his place anyway. And what in the world are ya gonna do after spendin' a week with him in Jamaica?  Go back to livin' apart?  If it makes you happy, move in with your man. Ain't he good to you?”

“Yes, he is.”

“Tara Mae, it's time you stop worryin' 'bout me. I know someone at church whose niece is looking for a place to board and rent and her payments would help out with the bills. I'll be fine.”

As sheets bellowed about them like sails in the wind, Tara stood before her mother and wondered if she was dreaming. The old Tara, the Tara before Sam would've told her mamma that she was a fucking liar, that tomorrow she'd be back to her old self, drunk with no friends and no job, miserable, bitter, and mean. But, the new Tara who found love and belief in good things, had grown to appreciate her mother's struggle against her addiction and new lease on life.

The new Tara was now beginning to see the parallels in both their lives. Just as Lettie Mae had made up her mind to stop drinking and embrace life, so too has Tara made up her mind to open up her heart and let love in, Sam's love. Looking at her mother with nothing but hope in her eyes, she told herself, new Tara Mae meet the new Lettie Mae. Ducking under the clothes line, she wrapped her arms about her mother. Hugging her tightly, Tara silently prayed that they will both never stop believing.

***

When Sam arrived at Tara's, he was greeted by two smiling faces. He hugged and kissed Tara lightly on the lips and gave Lettie Mae a peck on the cheek. At Tara's insistence, both he and Tara wore their matching Grand Canyon T-shirts and when he saw the delighted look on Lettie's face, he was glad he did.

***

After making a quick stop at Lou's West Indian store to buy some drinks for the party, Sam mentioned that Aunt Vie had also invited her next door neighbor to the dinner. Pulling out of the parking lot, he made a right onto Montgomery Drive before stopping at the intersection. While they waited for the lights to change, Lettie told Sam that she made Mrs. Thompson crochet centerpieces. He assured her that Aunt Vie liked those kinds of things.

When the light turned green, they made their way to the high-way. For the next forty-five minutes the mood was upbeat an jovial. Lettie invited Sam over for hoe cakes next Sunday morning and he told her thanks and that he wouldn't miss it for the world. Pleased to see Tara sitting up in front with him chatting and laughing away, he smiled. Ever so often, she would turn around to talk with her mother. He thought it was nice to see them like this, getting along with each other, the way a mother and daughter should.

***

When they arrived at Aunt Vie's, Marvin and Morgan were already there. After they got the introductions out of the way, Aunt Vie took Lettie for a grand tour of her house. She happily and gracefully accepted Lettie's gift and pie and fruit salad and thought her beautiful handiwork was perfect for her dining table and went about putting them on the large table, all three in a row. After putting the drinks and Lettie's pumpkin pie and fruit salad in the kitchen, Sam joined Marvin out back and helped him barbeque some ribs. Meanwhile Tara and Morgan prepared the dining room. Moments later, Martin arrived through the kitchen door with board games and bags of ice. Naturally he made his presence known to the girls by poking fun at them before joining his brothers outside.

When all the preparations were done and everyone had gathered in the living room, the doorbell chimed. Excusing herself from the rest of the group, Aunt Vie headed for the front door. Seconds later, she returned with a man who looked to be in his mid-fifties. He had thick curly black hair and graying temples. He stood at about five-ten and was wide in the shoulders with powerful arms. If anything he looked like Popeye with a tan.

“Everyone, meet Ramon Ramirez, my neighbor.” Aunt Vie announced.

“Hey Ramon!” all responded in unison.

“Hola! Como estas?” Ramon brightly said. He was met with complete silence.

“Muy bien!” A delayed answer came from the back of the group. Everyone turned around and looked at Lettie Mae. She looked back at them with a What look on her face.

Ramon threw Lettie a broad smile from across the room, dimples and all, then confidently said to the group, “Hey, don't mind me. I was just messing with ya.” Relieved, they all laughed.

Sam offered Ramon a drink and went off to the kitchen and by the time he returned with a glass of fruit juice, Ramon had already been in conversation with Lettie.

“Do you speak Spanish?” Ramon asked Lettie after thanking Sam for the drink. Sam turned on his heel and joined Tara and Morgan chatting from across the room.

“No. Just a few phrases. Sorry.” Lettie answered looking slightly apologetic while clutching a glass of ginger ale.

“No need to apologize. Your pronunciation was perfect, you had me fooled.”

“Thanks.” She replied giving him a half smile.

“OK folks. Let's eat!” Aunt Vie announced. With that, everyone convened in the spacious dining room. The large dining table was decked out in fall colors. The table cloth was off-white, the linen napkins were burnt orange and the fabric place mats were either red or brown. In the middle of the table was a large flower arrangement upon a lovely orange crochet centerpiece. At the far end of the room were two folding tables covered in burnt orange table cloths that served as buffet tables.

The first of two buffet tables had nearly every square inch of its surface covered with food galore. A twenty pound stuffed oven roasted turkey, was carved and sectioned, beckoned to be devoured. Along with an ensemble of other delicious dishes: baked ham, potato salad, garden salad, candied plantain, rice and peas, oxtail, barbecue ribs, and, five cheese lasagna. On one half of the second buffet table had dessert which consisted of cassava cake, pumpkin pie and fruit salad. The next half had drinks, ice and empty glasses. In between the two buffet tables was an oak credenza with dinner plates, dessert plates and bowls and cutlery on it.

Ramon held out a chair for Lettie and she sat down looking half surprised and half embarrassed. Pointing at the seat next to hers, he said smiling,

“That seat is mine.”

“I'll guard it with my life.” She joked yet thought how ridiculous she must have sounded. OK Lettie Mae, quit smilin' like a damn fool, she said to herself smoothing a lock of hair behind her ear.

“Allow me to get you your meal. Got any special request?” Ramon asked in a rich accented voice.  Listening on with eyes shut, one would've thought the offer came from Antonio Banderas himself.

“Oh, I'll have a bit of everything, thank you.” She replied impressed by his chivalry. All the while her daughter was keeping tabs on the both of them from a safe distance.

Grabbing two plates, he joined the line up at the buffet. Behind him were Tara and Sam. The moment Sam turned around to chat with Marvin and Morgan, Tara stole the opportunity to strike up a little conversation with Ramon who seemed to take an instant shine to her mother.

“Hey Ramon.”

“Tara! Mrs. Thornton's daughter. How are you?” Ramon said. 

“Good. Thanks. So you're Mrs. Thompson's neighbor, huh?”

“Yes. I moved in last week.”

“And the rest of your family? Will they be joining you soon?”

“No kids. I'm a widower.” He said clearing his throat.

“I'm sorry. Forgive me ...for being a fool.”  Tara felt like digging herself a deep hole and jump straight in.

“No, it's a perfectly logical question to ask when you see a man wearing a wedding band and living in a big house.” He said braving a smile, then said, “How about you, do you live nearby?”  He hoped he was able to smooth that one over as he knew her motive was not to be rude but that she was only looking out for her mother.  This, he thought was admirable.

“No. I live in Bon Temps. It's about forty-five minute drive from here.” Nice goin' Tara, she thought to herself still thinking about her fuck-up moments ago.

“My construction company just broke ground there this month.”

“Hold on a second... Ram-Rez, that's you! You guys are building the new clinic on Weston Road?”

“Yes.  We're creating a fine inconvenience for motorists right now with all the digging and laying of pipes in the road.”

“Well it's about time this town build another clinic.  Bon Temps has been slowly growing over the years and the old one is overburdened as it is. I must say, it must be tough running a business like yours. How do you stay on top of your game?” Tara hoped she wasn't being too forward.

“In the beginning it was very tough. I came close to being bankrupt twice in the first four years. I even developed a bad stomach ulcer and had to have surgery. Yes, the construction business presents many challenges but I was determined and stuck with it. I've found over the years that the trick is to not let it consume you. That and having a darn good accountant and lawyer.” He said and spooned some potato salad, turkey and slices of ham in both plates.

“Impressive. Sorry about your ulcer. How are you now?” Tara asked helping herself to some turkey, ham and lasagna.

“Thanks for asking, I'm much better. The surgery did save my life but since then, there are certain things I no longer eat nor drink.  My crew call me a pansy whenever we go out and I am the only one drinking milk.. ” He didn't seem to mind admitting.

“Don't they know, milk does the body good.” Tara quipped and she served herself some candied plantain.

“That's what I keep telling them.” Ramon laughed.

“How about the occasional beer?”

“Nope. Hate the stuff now.”

***

After everyone were through eating, all except Ramon pitched in and helped clear up.  When everything was squared away, the younger folks moved off into the living room, leaving Lettie and Vie alone in the kitchen. While Lettie gave the off white ceramic counter top a good wipe down, Aunt Vie said,

“Thanks Lettie.” and put the kettle on the stove and lit the burner under it.

“You're welcome! Thank you for inviting me. I'm having a good time.”

“I'm glad!”

“Where did Mr. Ramirez go?” Lettie asked.

“He's in the basement checking on the pipes.”

“Was there a leak?”

“Yes. Last night one of the pipes burst and he came over and patched it so right now he's checking on that.”

“That was nice of him.”

“I'm really grateful for his help. Inviting him over was the least I could do.”

“Coffee? Tea?” Vie added when the kettle started to whistle.

“Tea, please. Thanks.”

“You have a fine daughter, Lettie. You must be proud of her.” Vie said preparing two mugs of tea.

“Yes. I am. The Lord's been good to bless me with a child like her. She's always lookin' out for me even when I don' even deserve it.” Lettie said accepting a mug from Aunt Vie then continued after thanking her,

“When I developed alcoholic cirrhosis, she gave up school to work full time and nurse me back to health.”

“Dat's true sacrifice, and love. You don't see much of dat in the youth today.” 

The nurse in Aunt Vie knew that the recovery process for cirrhosis of the liver is not an easy one. Sipping her camomile tea, she listened attentively to Lettie while they both sat on stools at the kitchen counter.  Lettie cupped her hands around the warm mug and stared blankly into the dark liquid.  Maybe it was the way in which Aunt Vie spoke and her general calm disposition that made Lettie feel totally at ease.  

“Vie, I've been a bad mother.  I'm ashamed to say that I've neglected and abused Tara for years. But yet, she .. ” Unable to continue, Lettie paused and looked down and clasped her hands on her lap.

“I'm not here to judge anyone, but I can see that the both of you carry a lot of hurt inside and if left alone it will fester and make your lives miserable. Tell me...have you apologized to your daughter and asked her for forgiveness?”

“No..” Lettie shook her head with a solemn look on her face.

“You know Lettie, you need to ask Tara to forgive you so that the both of you can move on and get past all that pent up hurt and doubt in your lives.”

Then unexpectedly, Tara walked into the kitchen.

“Hey, you guys wanna play Taboo? We're just about to start.” She said smiling.

“Tara, there's something you and I need to talk about.” Lettie said in a serious tone, holding her hand out to her.

Confused but more so concerned, Tara looked at her mother's saddened expressions and took little notice of Aunt Vie making a quiet exit. Walking up to where her mother sat, she seated herself on the stool that Vie occupied seconds before. Reaching out, Lettie took Tara's hands and gave them a slight squeeze. She then swallowed hard and looked up into her daughter's eyes, and said,

“Tara... I am sorry for all the terrible things I did to you over the years. For beatin' you and tellin' you negative and hurtful things. For makin' you feel unloved and worthless. I should never have treated you the way I did. I'm sorry I never showed you any gratitude for takin' care of me when I was drunk, angry and sick.”

“Mamma...” Tara's voice sounded feeble.  She didn't say anything more.  She sat unmoving with tears welling up in her eyes.

“You are beautiful and smart and a lovely young woman. I am proud of you, of what you've become, and, I love you my daughter, very much.  Please ....”

Before Lettie could finish her sentence, Tara quickly leaned across and wrapped her arms around her mother's neck and hugged her tightly.

“...forgive me.” Lettie ended and sobbed.

“Mamma...I forgive you.” Tara said between sobs as they both held each other.

****












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.