Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Rating: T, for teens. Disclaimer: HBO, Alan Ball, Charlaine Harris owns this, I just put a spin on things. Author's note: Sam is put under the gun. Anyway, hope you'll enjoy this chapter and please, please, please give me your feedback. Thanks!




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

Chapter 9: Prayers Answered

 

Thanks to Aunt Vie, no one apart from Sam suspected how long Tara had been away for. After taking Sam aside and letting him know that his other half was going to be a while with her mother in the kitchen, she created the perfect distraction by having the rest of them explain the rules of the game to her over and over again until Tara returned. Meanwhile, Ramon appeared from inspecting the pipes in the basement and agreed to play. Sitting down at the card table that was set up in the living room, he told Aunt Vie that all was well in the basement. Soon after that, Tara and Lettie resurfaced.  Aunt Vie joined Lettie on the couch across the room. Martin watched the two women take their seats and asked,

“Mrs. Thornton, want to play?”

“That's quite alright.  I'll just watch you guys for now.”

“Mummy, how about you?  You playing?”

“No thanks dear.” Aunt Vie replied crossing her legs.

“What?  Afta we jus' explain the rules to you a million times, thought you'd be interested.” Martin chuckled.

Sam jumped in and said, “Tara's back, so, let's begin.”

When Tara sat down at the table, she smiled and gave him a wink, which was reassuring to him as it signified that everything was fine between her and her mother.

As the game progressed, the living room became filled with laughter. Ever so often, there were little skirmishes over the rules, but, alas, friendly skirmishes. All in all, everyone was having a grand time.

“Vie, I love the collection of photographs you got on the wall.” Lettie commented.

“Thank you.”

“You know, that picture of the dog...”

 

Tuning in, everyone turned and looked in Lettie's direction. Unbeknownst to their quietened stares, she went on to say,

“He looks a lot like the one that come by my house. Almost every night, for the past five months. Sometimes he'd lie on the porch or sit by the side of the house. He seems harmless so I leave him be.”

Tara snapped her head up and looked straight at Sam and they silently held each others' gaze. Aunt Vie taking note, cleared her throat and said,

“Fascinating. Oh my, I'm out of ice. Sam, be a dear and get me two bags of ice at the gas station. Take Tara with you.”

As the pair neared the front door, Martin yelled out,

“Hey Sam, don't be takin' di scenic route. Wi want two bag of' ice, not two bag of water..”

“Martin!” Aunt Vie exclaimed frowning at him.

“What? Dats what mi woulda do.” Martin snickered.

“Lawd, shut up.” Marvin said rolling his eyes at his brother.

***

Shutting the heavy door behind them, Tara looked at Sam as they stood before each other on the front porch.

“Where can we talk?” She asked.

“Come with me.”

She followed him to his truck and together they sped off. They drove in silence for the next two minutes before Sam pulled to the right and parked on the soft shoulder. After they got out of the vehicle, he led her across the road and down a dirt track leading to a huge park. In the center was a large man-made lake with trees and benches along its periphery. Taking a seat on a bench under a shady tree, Tara thought he'd chosen a perfect spot. It was quiet and scenic. Ducks and swans floated by slowly and calmly on the water surface as if they had all the time in the world. In the distance overlooking the lake were new three-story town homes. Finally Tara came out and asked,

“That was you, wasn't it?”

 

Knowing exactly what she was referring to, Sam turned in his seat to face her and replied,

“Yes it was. Please don't take it the wrong way....”

“But five months? We've only been dating each other in the last four.”

“True, but I had feelings for you from before we started dating.”

“Why did you do it?"

“I know it sounds strange, I did it because...because I missed you and because I wanted to watch over you.” Sam hoped he'd made the right choice in words.

“And the engraving in the tree....When did you do that?”

“The day of our first picnic.”

“You went back..” Tara said softly.

“Yes. In the night.”

Not backing down, Tara threw out yet another question.

“Why did you tell Aunt Vie that I was the one?”

For a moment there, Sam felt as though he was under the gun as she fired one question after another.  He answered honestly and from the heart,

“Because Tara, you are my life and my joy, the one I've been waiting for. You're the one who brighten my day and fill me with hope. You are the one I truly love.”

Then she suddenly stood up and then paced before him. Back and forth, forth and back she went, she near dug herself a ditch. Her nervous energy was getting to him so he reached out and firmly held her by the wrists stopping her in her tracks. Turning her her around to face him, he held her hands in his.

“Tara, what is the matter?  Baby.  Come on. Talk to me.” He looked up at her with a pleading look.

“No one has ever said that to me.” She replied.

“And I meant every word. Don't you see how much I love you and want to be with you?”

“Yes I do, and I love you too Sam, but we can't continue like this.”

“What? What do you mean? Are you having second thoughts? Are you leaving me?” Sam's mind raced and so did his heart.

“No! Heavens no!” She cried out and quickly sat back down next to him. Then said,

“Baby, that's the last thing I want to do. I meant that we cannot continue living apart. Every second when we're not together I miss you. I miss you so much that it is becoming a distraction. Sometimes I can't even think straight. You are constantly in my thoughts. I've never felt this way about anyone before and it scares me. But, whenever we are together, everything feels so right and happiness is never in short supply.”

Cupping her hands over his cheeks, she continued while staring into his eyes,

“I hate not waking up next to you in the mornings. I hate falling asleep alone at nights. I know you asked me before and I was a fool to turn you down, but now I think it is time we really moved in together.”

And just like that, his prayers were answered.

****












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.