Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Hey Guys! Here the latest hope you like it! I'm so excited for what's coming next!




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


“…Tonks will be baby-sitting you for a week while I’m gone…”

 

“ I’m not a baby! I’m a young witch. I’m almost eleven.”

 

“ Fine, Tonks will be young witch-sitting you while I’m away…”

 

“ And why are you leaving again?”

 

Samson sighed and took a sip of his morning orange juice. “ I haven’t gotten there yet. Ando has asked me to come to Japan for business. So I’ve asked Tonks to stay with you while I am away.”

 

 Zora took another bite out of her stack of her confetti pancakes. While she would love to go with him to Japan, having Tonks stay with her would be nice as well. She was supposed to be getting out of the Academy soon and according to her last letter she was days away from becoming a full-fledged Auror. Luca whimpered for the piece of leftover sausage that was on her plate. When her father wasn’t looking she snuck it to him.

 

            “ But this won’t happen until after your birthday. And Zora, while she’s here don’t think you’ll be able to get away with anything you want…”

 

            “ Oh come on dad how much trouble could I possibly get into in a week?” Samson gave a pointed look and then looked back to his issue of the Daily Prophet. 

 

            “ Be that as it may Zora I do not want this house a complete mess when I return.”

 

            “ Fine, can Hermione come over while your gone?”

 

            “ You two have patched things up then?” The girls’ friendship had been becoming strained as Zora impending leave grew closer. Samson worried that this might happen. While Hermione didn’t seem to be the jealous type of girl she seemed a little insecure. Zora and Hermione clung to each other, the separation will definitely be difficult for them. For all of them. Zora had never been away from him for extended periods of time. His little girl was growing up right before him.

 

            “ Well kind of sort of you see…Dad?”

 

            “ Y-yes?”

 

            “ You’re doing it again.”

 

            “ Can’t help it, I was admiring the craftsmanship. Damn, your mum and I did good.”

 

            “ DAD!” Samson laughed when she saw her disgusted face.

 

            “ What? We did.” Samson got up from his chair and brought his daughter up into his arms. He stood up straight and Zora laid her head in crook of his neck causing him to smile. “ You’re growing up so fast…who told you to do that?”

 

            “ Last time I checked, biology. But that’s just the muggle’s perspective.” Samson smirked. Little smart-arse…yeah…she’ll be okay.

 

            “ And you still haven’t answered me about Hermione.”

 

            “ Alright…but she’ll have to ask her parents first.”

 

            “ Thanks dad!” She tightened her arms around his next for a moment and then started to wiggle out of his arms. Once she landed on the floor she dashed out of the room. The pitter-patter of footsteps stopped and Zora walked back to the opening of the kitchen.

 

            “ Uh, dad? Don’t you have work?”

 

            Yes, he did. But was he going to go? Nope. He had enough leave to take two months of work off, so why not play hooky for once? Play on the wild side.

 

            “ Actually, I have a day off.  Why don’t we do something fun today? All I have to do is submit a report at some point but the rest of the day could be ours. What do you say to that?”

 

            “ I’d ask you who you were and what you did with my father, but I think the better question would be if we could go to the zoo. The telly-machine thing said that they were showing a new exhibit. Boa Constrictors!”

 

            Deciding to ignore her little quip he nodded. She made an excited squealing noise and ran to her room to get changed. Samson walked back to his orange juice and finished it off.

 

            To the zoo it was then.

c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1;

            Besides being outdoors, the zoo was probably one of her favorite places to visit. She loved to look at all the different animals. They gave her ideas of what to transform into next. She felt a connection with them. When they caught each other’s eye it was like for just one moment they were on the same wavelength. The walk about around the zoo was lovely. There was a massive crowd that was going towards the reptile exhibit.

 

            “ Keep close Zora, don’t want to get separated.”

 

            “ Okay dad.” It was so exciting! she wanted to see the boas and the other reptiles in the exhibit. The father and daughter stood in line to go into the exhibit. Children, teenagers and adults were chattering. Right before the McQueens’ was a family of three, they had been talking about meaningless things and while Zora

 

            “ Dudley dear, after this we’ll go to the toy store and get you those two new presents we talked about, okay?” The voice was shrill as nails on a chalkboard and had had enough fake sugar to kill a diabetic. The woman was thin as a stick and her smile stretched her skin around her boney cheeks.

 

            “ I want the remote control robot and the new video from…” ‘Dudley’ started listing off things.

 

            “ Yes…yes…BOY come here! I swear if walk away again…” The man sounded fearsome, it remaindered her of a muffled growl. The ‘boy’ that he was referring to skidded back to group of three. He looked vaguely familiar…

 

            “ S-sorry Uncle Vernon…” 

 

            “ I swear if you ruin this day—“ Vernon gripped the boy’s shoulder so tight that she could see the man’s meaty paw turned white, but before he could finish his threat the boy Dudley yelled.

 

            “ LOOK, WE’RE NEXT!”

 

Only a small group of people let in at a time, the zoo officials did not want to disturb the reptiles too much with the extra noise, prying eyes and poking fingers. When the group walked in there was a collective gasp. The zoo had really had gone all out for the opening. The whole room looked like a range environmental areas. The ceilings were high and there was a large opening on the far end of the room to lead people to other parts of the zoo. People spread out to look at the different reptiles. 

 

“ Zora I’ll be right over there okay,” Samson was not very fond of reptiles, maybe it was  the schoolboy in him talking. They were cold-blooded and merciless; some thing about them to him was just innately off. No wonder Salazar chose a serpent for his house seal.

 

“ Okay dad.” Zora walked off to where the boa constrictor being held. When she got there she saw the boy from before leaning on the rail. The three other people had walked off after failing to get the boa to move. She wanted to ask him if he was all right, but as she got closer to him she heard him talking.

 

“ …Sorry ‘bout him, he doesn’t understand what it’s like. Lying there, day after day…watching people pressing their ugly faces in on you.” She didn’t know why but hearing him talk made her smile. He was very kind, whoever he was. She moved her focus from the boy onto the snake, and for a second she thought she saw it blink at him.

 

“ Can you hear me?” That’s what she wanted to know. Could people talk to snakes? She had never heard of such an ability. The snake lifted its head to the boy’s eye level and nodded.

 

“ It’s just…I’ve never talked to a snake before. Do you—I mean, do you talk to people often? ” The snake shook its head. It moved its head slightly into her direction. Almost as if signal that he knew that that she was there. She was thankful that lighting in the cage made it hard to see reflections. The snake moved its head back to the boy, thankfully.  

 

You’re from Burma aren’t you? Was it nice there? Do you miss your family?” The snake turned its head towards the other side of its cage. There was a sign, Boa Constrictor, Brazil. Just under it was a smaller sign: Bred in Captivity.

 

I see, that’s me as well I never knew my parents either.” The melancholy in his voice broke her heart. She wanted to say something but that would blow her cover…even though she clearly was not eavesdropping. Still, she wanted to comfort him.

 

As she drew closer to him the pudgy boy came shoveling back, “ Mummy! Dad! Come here! You won’t believe what the snake is doing!”

 

The bulldozer of a boy knocked him into Zora. Both of them fell to the ground.

 

“ Ow…” He whipped his head around and looked into Zora’s eyes.

 

“ It’s you!” He whispered. It was the girl from before, from the park!

 

“ What? Could you please get off me ” The boy scrambled off of her and helped her off the floor. A dash of pink colored his cheeks.

 

            “ Ohh looks like Harry Potty-pukehead has a girlfriend.” Dudley snickered at his own joke. Both of them sent him a glare. When he turned his attention back to the snake he felt the glass give out and fell into containment cell. It was a funny sight to see, Dudley sputter around, until they remembered that there was a snake in there with him. The snake saw an opportunity of escape and decided to take it. The moment it slithered out of the cell people everywhere in the exhibit started screaming with fright.

 

            Harry without second thought extended his arm in front of Zora and backed them up against the wall. The snake took a look at its surroundings and glanced over at the two. It opened its mouth and hissed:

 

            “Brazil here I comeTttttthankssss, amigos”

 

            “Uh, no problem.” said a bewildered Harry. The boa gave them a wink and then slithered off but not before scaring a few of the patrons along the way. Zora felt her heartbeat begin to slow down but her mind was going wild. She just heard a snake talk. A real life snake, talking. She didn’t have much time to mull it over when she heard a woman screeching for help, and blubbering from inside the empty cell.

 

            Next thing she knew she saw a man lumbering over them and snatched Harry by the hair and started asking him what happened. Seeing Harry in pain, Zora launched herself at the abusive man.

 

            “Stop it! Please, you’re hurting him!”

 

            “ Little girl this has nothing to do with you, bugger off!” Vernon raised his free hand to her, Zora shut her eyes fearing an impact but it never came. When she did open them she saw her father with his hand clenching Vernon’s wrist and twisting into a painfully awkward position.

 

            “ Vernon Dursley, if you ever raise your hand to my daughter or that boy again I will forget that are you are his caretaker and deal with you myself. Muggle or not.” Samson bit out. Zora had never seen her father act so cold. His eyes burned like cold ice.

 

            Vernon yelped in pained and let Harry go. “And speaking of caretaking, it’s quite obvious that you two have been doing little regards to him. Maybe it’s high time that Albus came to see you all once more. We all know that he would not be please as to how the boy is being treated.”

 

            He knew that he struck a chord because of them had a look of fear in their eyes.

 

Samson turned his head towards Petunia, a look of disgust on his face, “ If she only knew…if she only knew her own sister would allow such cruelty...she’s probably spinning her grave right now.”

 

            Petunia had the decency to look somewhat embarrassed. Zora looked around and no one was moving. A spell that froze time perhaps? Her father never used magic. Especially at this grand of scale.  She looked around it seemed like only she, Harry, her father and the Dursley adults were still active.

 

Vernon was turning a deep shade of red. Samson clenched his wrist a little tighter before letting go. Samson looked to Harry who looked petrified. He took out a piece of paper and a pencil. He scribbled something quickly and handed it to him. He told Harry to put it in his pocket and read it when he was alone.

 

“ Now quickly before I go, have I made myself perfectly clear?” Samson looked to both Dursley’s. Petunia would raise eyes to meet his and Vernon just glowered at him while nursing his wrist. “ Splendid.”

 

            Samson snapped his fingers and the world around them moved as if nothing happened. He brought Zora close to him and smiled charmingly at the Dursley’s. “ Vernon…Petunia…eventful as always…now I would get that boy outside of that cell…He looks a little bit chilly.”

 

            Dudley continued to cry and hit his pudgy against the glass. Petunia screamed for a zoo attendant to get her son out of the cell. When one finally came the Dursley’s went with them leaving the three of them alone.

 

            “ Zora, it’s time for us to go now.”  Zora nodded her head. She looked at the boy, worried about what would happen after they left.  Samson had started to walk away, while Zora turned towards Harry gave him a small smile.

 

            “  Um, thank you for…uh…protecting me from that snake. It was very brave of you.”  She rubbed her arm nervously; she felt her face heat up. She didn’t know what was going on with her.

 

            “ Your welcome…I didn’t really think about it to be honest…just a reflex I guess.  Tell your dad thanks…no one’s…ever stuck up for me like that…” Harry scratched the back of his head, suddenly flustered. “ Oh! And you too of course! Y-you didn’t have to...uh…step in…”

 

“ Why wouldn’t I step in? He was hurting you and it wasn’t right. No one deserves to be treated like that.” Zora said fiercely. Harry continued to mess with his hair. Unconsciously lifting up his bangs, Zora saw a mark on his forehead. No…it couldn’t be…

 

“ Zora…” her father was calling for her again.

 

“ Coming! I’ve got to go but…maybe we’ll see each other again, yeah?”

 

“ Y-yeah, maybe…” He could hear the overzealous whimpering behind him; his “family” members were on their way back. Zora noticed the sad look on his face.

 

“ Hey, don’t let those guys keep you down. Things will change around, you’ll see.” Zora gave him a wave and ran off towards her father.

 

Grasping her hand, Samson and Zora walked out of the large doorway. She replayed the scene in her mind and things seemed to match up, if only she got a better look at the mark on his forehead. She wasn’t completely sure but she almost certain that she just met the famous Harry Potter.

c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1;

When they got to the Ministry, Samson and Zora were immediately herded into Kingsley Shacklebolt’s office. Samson stood rigid, arms behind his back just as he was trained. Zora was taken to see Mrs. Hopkins, while the men had a talk. No one said anything until Fudge cleared his throat.

 

“ Mr. McQueen the stunt you pulled at the Zoo is unacceptable.”

 

“ Minster Fudge I used the upmost discretion before I cast the spell…”

 

“ Samson, if you could tell us what happened at the zoo…”

 

“ It was an urgent matter. It had to deal with the boy…Harry Potter. As well as my daughter’s safety.”

 

“ Oh?” Fudge’s interest had been peaked.

 

“ Yes sir. The boy’s caretaker, the man Vernon Dursley was acting very inappropriately. I suspect negligence and abuse. Judging by Potter’s clothing, the conditions that they are subjecting him to are abysmal at best.”

 

“ And Zora? What does she have to do with any of this?” Samson looked at Kingsley directly in the eye.

 

“ She was drawn into conflict when she saw that the boy was in pain. Dursley was prepared to strike her and I intervened.”

 

“ I see…well…”

 

“ Sir, permission to speak freely?” Fudge looked at him warily but nodded his head.

 

“I do not regret what I did. Yes, what I did was not regulation but in the moment I used the technique I thought was best. As an Auror for the Ministry I understand that my actions have consequences and I must pay for them. However, I am also a father…and I saw my daughter and another child in danger. And in being a father I will do what it takes to protect my own. If James were in my position I have no doubt that he would have done the same for me.”

 

            “ Yes, but be that as it may Mr. McQueen the fact of the matter is that you broke regulation…”

 

            Before he could go on Kingsley decided to step in. “ Minister, if I may be so forward, since Samson has been such an asset to the division could you possibly leave him with a warning? Put him on probation instead of expulsion? I say this only because I can guarantee you that if people were to find out about today’s incident it could cause quite the scandal for your office…” Fudge paled a bit at the implication.  

 

            The wizarding world loved its celebrities and Harry Potter was about as high as one could go within the UK. Dismissing the man who brought the living conditions of their young hero to the highest authority would be simply be not possible. People would want his head. On a platter or at the very least to be examined.

            Meanwhile…

 

            “ It’s good to see you Zora, especially since you will be off to school soon enough. Turning the big one-one, have any big party plans for your send off?” Zora hadn’t been to back to the Ministry in quite some time. She had missed talking to Mrs. Hopkins and eating the candy that was on her table.

 

            “ Not really, I think just having the family over for a dinner. Then it’ll just be me and dad at King’s Cross.” She didn’t want to make a huge deal about leaving. For so long she waited for the moment to arrive but she wasn’t so sure. It was big step, going off to Hogwarts. It was where legends made both good and bad. Where would she fall among the many witches and wizards to grace the hallways? Even though she had never had never stepped on the magical grounds she already felt small…insignificant.

 

            “ Well that’s alright, sometimes it’s the smaller things that end up being more meaningful.” She unwrapped a chocolate frog and handed Zora the collectable card that was inside. She took a peak outside of the main window and to her desk clock. The young Malfoy should be coming around soon. He always came around this time. Sneaking around corners, trying to be inconspicuous. She remembered the first time she caught him sneaking around. She had half a mind to get one of the Aurors to escort him back to his father. Exactly like his father, rude little brat.

 

            “ You expecting someone Mrs. Hopkins?”

 

            “ Aye, the Malfoy boy…such a little stinker that one. Always comes around here about this time. Like he’s looking for something.” Or someone.  

 

            Mrs. Hopkins had been on the earth long enough to know what infatuation looked like. She worried that the boy was becoming a little obsessed. The first time he stopped by he came to the Department, he went to the main secretary who then directed him to her.

 

            “ Hello.”

 

“ Hello?”

           

            “ My name is Draco Malfoy and I would like to speak to Ms. McQueen.”

 

            “ Do you have an appointment?”

 

            “ What?”

 

            “ Do…you…have…an…appointment?” she repeated herself slowly, which she didn’t think he appreciated.

 

            “ No, but—“

 

           

            “ Then I’m sorry Draco I cannot let you into Mr. McQueen’s office.” She was trying her hardest to be civil to the boy but he was not making it easy on her.

 

            “ So she’s in there, right now?” The small bit of excitement she saw did not escape.

 

            “ I cannot tell you that.” Draco began to glare.

           

            “ Why not?” he asked indignantly.

 

            “ Because, they are the rules set by Mr. McQueen himself.” She said calmly.

 

            “ Maybe then I should be talking him instead. You’re his secretary, call him.” No “please”. Just an order like she was one of his house-elves. The impertinence! Being a woman who did not deal with disrespect, especially with insolent children. She had gotten from her desk, took him by the ear and dragged him out of the Department.

 

            “ Wait until my father hears about this you old hag! You’ll be sorry! You hear me?!”

  

            “ Your father has no jurisdiction here, so I would love to see him try. Also I would love to talk your father about your disrespectful language.” She pushed him out of the office and put her hands on her hips.

 

            “ Come in here with that attitude again Mr. Malfoy and I’ll send you straight off!” She had gotten one of the Ministry guards to take him back to the Department of Mysteries. She expected Malfoy Jr. to come storming in with his brat of son but it never happened.

 

            From that point on she would only see him from the front window. He would try his best to look in, and if caught by her would stick his tongue out. And judging how harshly his mood fell every time Mr. McQueen walked out of the department alone was a clear indicator of his fascination with the young McQueen girl. It seemed it would seem wane. The house elf that was always by his side would get a swift kick. Poor thing

 

            “But that’s not important…tell me about Harry Potter. It must’ve been exciting!”  

 

            “ He was very kind and humble. I wasn’t expecting that…to be honest I wasn’t sure what I would be expecting. I’ve never met a famous person before.” Zora took another Bertie’s candy from the bowl and went back to the side couch.

 

            He seemed to have no clue of who he was…of what he had done for an entire community. If what she thought was true, she had been in the presence of someone truly special.

 

            “ And on top of that Dad seemed to know him, which is a little curious. He gave him a note. I wonder what he had said.” Mrs. Hopkins sat very interested in what she was saying. She stuffed her face with sweets like she was at a film viewing.

 

            Zora decided to not tell Mrs. Hopkins about the snake talking part. She didn’t think it was that important of a detail. Probably loads of people could do it, the magical community was pretty diverse in that respect.

 

            “ I wonder indeed. Good afternoon Ms. McQueen…Mrs. Hopkins.” That voice, she recognized it. She turned her head towards its direction. The draping black cloak, the snake headed cane. Only person oily enough to kill an entire ocean, Lucius Malfoy. Zora didn’t care for the man…or his son in the slightest but she would be polite.

 

            “ Hello Mr. Malfoy.” Her stiff response made him smirk. He moved toward her and stopped. He couldn’t help but stare. So much of Cecile was in this girl…

 

“ Was there something that you needed Mr. Malfoy?” Mrs. Hopkins spoke up, breaking his concentration. She didn’t like the way Lucius was staring, the quicker she could get him in and out the better.

 

“ Yes, I need to talk to Minster Fudge and I was told that he was in this department. Something about a misuse of magic by one of the Aurors?” The look of amusement on his face made Zora uneasy. It was like he knew exactly was in her uncle’s office.

 

“ The minister is currently busy in Mr. Shacklebolt’s office. When he is available I will send message to the Department of Mysteries.” Her dismissive tone was not lost on Lucius, he knew that he wasn’t wanted but he chose not to notice it.

 

“ Actually, it would be more convenient for me just to stay here.” He took a seat beside Zora on the couch. He placed both gloved hands on the top of the silver snake’s head. He crossed his legs and turned his head slightly towards Zora.

 

“  Only a month left until you and my son are off to school, I’m sure that you are very much excited to attend.”  

 

“…”

 

“ Mr. Malfoy I don’t think—“

 

“ Mallory, come on, the meeting is going to start in five minutes…” A woman in her mid fifties called over.

 

“ Alright Susan, I will be with you all in 10 minutes…I’m waiting for Mr. McQueen to come out of his meeting.”

 

            “ Mrs. Hopkins, if you have other duties that you must preform I would not mind watching Ms. McQueen. I’m sure Samson wouldn’t want his secretary shirking her responsibilities. Go, I insist.” The warmth of his smile did not reach his eyes. He wanted a moment alone the girl and this old woman was making it difficult. It was obvious that she didn’t trust him and that uneasiness was only making Zora more cautious of him. Ever since the fiasco of the year before he had thought about what McQueen had been saying to her. No doubt poisoning her mind against the truth…

 

            It was moments like this that she wished that Luca had been with her. Since the plan was just to go the Zoo, quickly stop by the Ministry, and then back home she thought it wouldn’t be too bad. She scrunched up on the couch in a defensive manner. She willed herself to be calm, reminding herself that her father, her uncle, and the minister were all right down the hall. She looked back and forth between Mrs. Hopkins and Mr. Malfoy. While she really didn’t want Mrs. Hopkins to leave but  she didn’t want her to get in trouble either. Slowly she unraveled from her defensive position and sat crossed legged. She put on smile and looked at the older woman confidently.

 

            “ It’s alright Mrs. Hopkins, go to your meeting. Dad’s probably not going to be too much longer and when he gets out I’ll tell him that you had a meeting to attend to.” Mrs. Hopkins gave her a concerned, questioning look. Zora nodded, assuring her and watched her walk away slowly.

 

            “ As I was saying…only a month left until you and my son are off to school, I’m sure that you both are very much excited. To get away from us parents.” 

 

            “ It will definitely be different…for as long as I can remember it’s always just me and my father…”

 

            “ Yes…since your mother’s passing—“

 

            “ My mother did not pass away Mr. Malfoy. She was murdered, but I suspect that you already knew that.” The breath caught in his throat for a moment until she spoke again, “ I mean everyone else did.”

 

            “ What happened to your mother…is highly regrettable. I wish that it did not have to happen…”

 

            “ What?”

 

“ I am firm believer in destiny Ms. McQueen and destiny is not always kind. We must accept reality for what is and move foreword. It is the only way that we will progress as a people.” Zora shook her head, as if to dislodge the words before they took root. 

 

            “ I will never accept the idea that my mother had to die…such thinking…would kill me. We are the deciders of our fate. I believe that every action is caused by another, thought driven action. A belief that takes away responsibility is dangerous…. it was that type of thinking that started the first war.”

 

            Lucius turned his head fully towards the young girl and couldn’t help but sneer, “ I assume your father told you that.”

 

            “ No, I got that from my own head. You know Mr. Malfoy just because I am young does not mean that I am stupid. I do read. I am capable of rational thought.” She did not care for his tone, or his intended stab at her father.

 

            “ I suppose you are, forgive me. I did not mean to be dismissive of you.” He took his leather gloves off, and sighed. He set his cane down on the armrest of the couch. He needed to regain control of his actions. He stuffed his gloves inside of his cloak. Too much history was siting on the other end of the couch.

 

            “ And that is something I do not understand about you Mr. Malfoy. You and my father…the people who I have seen you interact with…you are just that, dismissive. What makes me different? You don’t strike me to be one that apologizes easily. Why the leniency?”  

 

            “ My, my, my you are a very observant little girl. What you lenience, I call acknowledgement, appreciation…of your mind. As one of the governor of Hogwarts I am always interested in its perspective students. I see great potential in you, with proper guidance you will able to reach the role you were destined for...” Lucius got from his seat and straighten his clothing.

 

            Lucius eyed Kingsley’s door and noticed it opening, “ I think I will head back to my office…I will have my talk with the Minister at a later time.”

 

            He bade Zora goodbye as he walked out of the Department. A burning pain was starting to go up his arm.

~ DM~

            Draco looked at the clock again and started grinding his teeth. He was supposed to at the Ministry but no, he was stuck inside of his room doing last minute course work. Apparently his tutor told his mother that he had been slacking in studies so she forbade him from going with his father. He fought her on it of course but she would not budge. Under no circumstances was he going to tell her his reasons for going to the Department of Mysteries. As far as she knew he was just very interested in his father’s work and to be quite honest that how he wanted to keep it. If his mother knew the truth…he would never be allowed back to the ministry.

            Ever since that disaster of a New Year’s Eve party his mother and her cohorts hadn’t stopped talking about talking about it.  And at social events they made sure to bring it up so that no one else could forget it either.

            For months he had been trying to reach Zora to no avail. Watching her whole world be crushed and not being able to benefit from it wasn’t in the plan. How was he supposed to endear her to him if she emotionally stable?

            He needed a way into her life, a crack for him to squeeze through. Was that so much to ask? A moment alone…no daft house elf or vicious mutt to interrupt. Draco slouched in his desk chair, course work completely forgotten. School was going to begin soon and he needed another plan. Quickly. Maybe he could use her vague familiarity with him to his advantage…it certainly worth a try. They wouldn’t know many people there and that familiarity would come in handy.

            She was at the Ministry. He just knew it. He could feel it...and he was stuck here. Doing pointless exercises under the watchful eye of his mother. Draco moved his sleeve up a little and saw the black silk ribbon.  He didn’t wear it as often, only when he felt particularly stressed or anxious. He didn’t want the smell to disappear. It was the only thing that he had of hers. That and the two personal interactions was not much. Asher for some reason wasn’t around the mansion as much. He was always off on some errand for his father. Draco feared that he had found out what he was using Asher for. Lucius knew how end habits, if something did not suit him he would put an end to it. He had a knack for knowing how and when to strike. Draco was waiting for the conversation to happen, but he wasn’t going to be the one to initiate it. If there was a slim chance that his father didn’t know…well then praise whatever deity out was there.

            What if she was with that Longbottom dolt? They did seem chummy at the party…He still could not understand how she could be so warm to that blithering idiot and not to him. She was so quick to help him and that mental blonde girl but couldn’t stand to be in his presence. It was insulting…he was tired of other people coming between them. It hurt to think that she probably forgot about him. It made him made angry, he was tired of feeling like a stupid git. He was done. Forget Zora McQueen and her smiles. She was just another dumb girl, nothing more.

 

            “ DOBBY!” the trembling house-elf appeared in the room, calloused hands folded. Body hunched over in fear.

 

            “ Y-yes M-m-master Draco?” Draco got up from his desk chair and glared at his own hand. The longer that he stared the angrier he got.

 

            “  Take this, and do away with it. I don’t care how just do it!” Draco pushed the offending article of clothing into the elf’s hand. “ Well? Why are you just standing there you stupid elf? Go!”

 

            Dobby scampered off, ribbon in bony hand. Draco did nothing to stop him. Good riddance. That ribbon and the girl it was associated with were nothing but a headaches. Draco went back to his desk and sat at his seat. He did the right thing. That ribbon was holding him back. Stupid girl. He unconsciously started rubbing his wrist. She was nothing but a nuisance. Who cared if she remembered him or not? Certainly not him, that was for sure. He picked up the quill once more and looked at his exercise. The air he felt across his wrist was minor but nonetheless was still noticeable.  Draco squared his jaw as he continued scribbling on the parchment. He wasn’t going to be bothered by this, he refused to be bothered by something so ridiculous. It was just a stupid ribbon!

 

            A stupid ribbon that he had for months…and quite possibly gotten somewhat attached to…No. He was going to do this. He was going to forget about that stupid piece of fabric and its owner once and for all. And when they got to school? What then? Avoid her, obviously, and if confronted? Treat her like everyone else. This unfortunate and utterly humiliating moment time in his life will never come to light. It was better this way, he was sure of it.

 

            Zora McQueen was no longer going to plague his thoughts. He was determined to forget this stupid girl if it killed him.

 

            “DOBBY.” The elf returned.

 

            “ Y-yes Master Draco?”

 

            “ Did you do as I said?”

 

            “ Of course Master Draco, D-dobby did as h-he was told.”

 

            “ Good, if I ever see a trace of it left behind it will be your head elf. Well? What are you doing standing there? Get out!” Dobby squeaked in fear and disapparated from the room.

 

            It was done, the ribbon had been destroyed and he was free from any connecting factor that he and the devil girl might have. Then why did he still feel the same ball of nerves in his chest? It was the elf…yes….it was just it’s stupid whimpering…it got on his nerves…that’s what it was...

 

            Draco took a steady breath and put his quill down on the table. He stared down at his parchment and glared. There weren’t actually an words on his exercise…just doodles… of him…and Zora. He quickly crumpled up the parchment and threw it to the waste bin was…right next to a small hill of other crumpled up parchment.

 

            “MERLIN’S BEARD!”

 

-HG-

 

            The pain was excruciating. She hated this. Hermione had been dreading this for a while now. Her father was checking her braces to make sure everything was going as planned. Having braces was one of the worst things that could’ve happened to her. Her mouth always felt so tender after he was done. She hated her braces with a passion. They made her feel so self-conscious about herself. She already knew that her front teeth were a bit large she didn’t need shiny metal to showcase the fact.

            “ Just a little longer pumpkin…” She gave her father a half-hearted glare and then focused back on the ceiling.

 

            “ You know…we haven’t seen much of Zora around the house…everything okay with you two?” Another reason why she didn’t like having her dental appointments with her parents is because they would always ask her questions that they know she can’t answer or get away from.

 

            “ It’s just that you’ve been down lately and your mum and I are a little concerned…is it because Zora’s leaving soon?” Hermione made panicked, accusatory sounds.

 

            “ Calm down Hermione I don’t want to stick you! I found out when I was doing the teeth of one administration’s secretaries…I’m sorry to hear that she’ll be leaving but it’s not like you two won’t see each other during holidays.” More gurgling sound could be heard, this time they were more subdued almost melancholy.

 

            “ She said it was a boarding school in Scotland, isn’t that nice? Says that they’ve been on the waiting list for school for a while now and they’ve finally got some openings. Can’t remember what the name of the school was… but it sounded pretty barmy…”

 

            Barnaby finished cleaning Hermione’s teeth and taking off the braces. Hermione wiped her teeth around newly freed teeth and frowned.

 

            “ Hermione, I understand that this is going to be a big change for you but you have to look at it through her perspective. She’s going to a new school where she doesn’t know anyone…in a different country, she’ll need your support.” Barnaby smiled sadly at Hermione. The girls were attached at the hip, for months now people around them had grown so used to them being together that change will not doubt be noticeable.  

 

“ What if she forgets all about me?” That was a fear Hermione could not quite get over. To be forgotten by her one true friend. To be drowned out by the probably fantastic and unforgettable experiences that surely a waited the young witch. How could she compete with a school devoted to magic? To be submersed within a whole world that she’d probably never be apart of. 

 

“ Don’t be silly dear!” Barnaby took off his facemask, “ Who could forget about you? You’re brilliant Hermione. You girls have been attached the hip for so long, I highly doubt a little distance will put a damper on that.” He took off his plastic gloves and threw them into waste bin. Hermione took off the dental bib and checked out her newly metal-free mouth. Her dad said that her teeth were aligning properly so she could where a retainer at night. He had hoped getting her braces off would make her a little happier but it couldn’t make her forget the departure of her dear friend.

 

“ But I’m not special, all I can do is recite facts…that people don’t care about. Zora listens to me and doesn’t care when I ramble on…”

 

“ Dearest, being smart is not something to be ashamed of. In fact it is one of the most gratifying things in the world. Zora recognizes that and so will other people if you give them the chance.” Barnaby loved his daughter, but the insecurity she was exhibiting made him fearful of up coming months. “ Hermione, one day that brain of yours is going to help of lot people. Don’t you doubt that, not even for a second.”  

 

“ Well until then I’m just going to be the weird smart girl with no friends…again.” Hermione was determined to sulk it seemed. “ Dad can we just go home? I’m your last patient right? Let’s just go okay.”

 

“ Alright love, we can go home. Let me just talk to Karen and we’ll be on our way.” Hermione put on her periwinkle jacket and walked out of the small building. She just wanted to go to her room. Pick up one of her fantasy books and dream up a life she would never have.

 

Hermione Jean Granger prided herself on being a logical being. A rational girl who liked to think about a situation and then is able to find a way to best plan for it. She always had a proper control of her emotions and always managed to come out on top. Flights of fantasy were not strong point. She needed stability, concreteness in her surroundings. Ever since Zora McQueen came into her life it had been the exact opposite of what she was used to. She opened up a world that Hermione only saw in her stacks of books. For as long as she could remember the only friends that she had were only the ones that were trapped in side the pages of a wrinkled page. Since meeting Zora she grew use to having conversations that happened outside of her own imagination. She grew used the smiles and the laughter. It was the silence she dreaded above all else. The presence of an actual person being near was secondary only to that. Under normal circumstances, a simple phone call would’ve sufficed. But these were not normal circumstances.

 

As she understood it, witches and wizards lived in a technologically simplistic state. Things such as television, television and other electronics really had no place for their world. They had a slower way being. The house that the McQueens lived in owned by a muggle family before they came to live there. The electronics that were in the house were rarely used. Communication relied primary through letter writing and animal transportation. Hermione realized that when Zora departed, the return of silent conversations would commence once again. She would be reading the story of a life filled with magic and wonderment. For a fleeting moment, Hermione feared that she would begin to resent her dear friend after a while. As the letters come in would she soon not respond out of spite and bitterness or would she just not respond at all?  

 

She was happy that Zora was going to begin her magical education, which was why she thought distancing herself was a good idea. These jealous emotions to Zora were unfair and she didn’t want to spoil their friendship over something so petty. Sitting on the carpet of her room she surrounded herself with the books she had clung to during some of her lonelier moments. A tear fell on to the well-worn page. Hermione quickly wiped her eyes but it only seemed to trigger more.

“ No! Stop it Hermione…tears won’t solve anything. You’ll just have to get over it is all. You’ve done it before, you’ll do it again.” Without Zora…

 

            And then came a loud thud, a yelp of pain and a female scream.

 

            “ Hermione….what am I doing here?” The crying Granger quickly spun herself around and saw Zora.

 

            “ Zora?”

 

            “ SAMSON WHAT THE BLOODY HELL ARE YOU DOING IN THE SHOWER WITH MY WIFE?!”

 

c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1; c1;

 

            So as it were, a bruised Samson, an embarrassed Zora, and a excited Hermione were all sat on the couch while Barnaby Granger paced before them.

 

            “ So let me get this straight, you Samson are a wizard and Zora is a witch? And you were on your way back to your house when some how you were intercepted by…Hermione…”

 

            The both of them nodded. “ It seems the most likely thing, emotional magic is strong stuff.”

 

            “  Right…You both have magical powers and you have been living in secret for 10…”

 

            “ Almost 11.” Zora weakly piped in.

 

            “ Almost 11 years…and there is a whole society of magical people that we aren’t supposed to know about because we are moogles…?”

 

            “ Muggles, dad.”

 

            “ And you Hermione Jean Granger chose not to say anything to us.” Matilda came into the room, fully clothed. She set a pot of tea down to calm her nerves. She handed Samson an ice pack for the swelling.

 

            “ I couldn’t mum…it’s against their laws…”

 

            “ Laws?”

 

            “ Well the one that we are currently breaking is the International Statue of Wizarding Secrecy, it was a safeguard against non-magic people.” Samson explained. Oh he was going to hear about this from the Ministry. Fudge will go ballistic…

 

            “  I’m sorry but I’m finding all of this very hard to believe. It sounds completely mental.”  Barnaby started massaging his temples. He decided that it was best to sit down in his favorite chair.

 

            “ I know that this is a lot to take in Barnaby but nonetheless it all true. The reason why the Statue was even created was because of self-perseveration. Muggles either wanted to kill us or wanted to use us for their own personal gain. We were not given protection under law by your government, William and Mary I believe, so it was decided that it’s best to go our separate ways. That’s why such extreme measures were taken…it’s why you all think we’re just bits of fiction.”

 

            “ And what happens now?”

 

            “ Well under normal circumstances a team of wizards would come in and do a memory sweep and you all would have no idea that this situation even occurred. But since it’s seems that your daughter does have talent for magic I suspect that you will not be hearing from our government.”

 

            “ What are we supposed to do…I mean…what if something like this happens again?” 

 

            “ So you believe us then?” Hermione could barely contain her excitement.

 

            “ Well, everything is pointing towards it…the house was completely locked…there was no broken windows…” Truth was Matilda and Barnaby didn’t know what to believe. They had never in their wildest dreams imagined something like this happen to their family.

 

            “Well she would have to be taught how to control powers, there is a school for children like Zora and Hermione. Hogwarts, best in Europe I’d wager. I attended when I was just a boy.” He shifted the ice pack his head and winced. “ I’ve suspect that you will hear from someone from the school in a few days, they have to do this will all the first generation families.”

 

            “ Blimey.” Barnaby set his head on the neck rest of his chair. He had some many questions still to ask. He turned his head to his wife, she was slowly drinking her tea. Her eyes were trained on Hermione. She seemed to be in shock, and he couldn’t blame her.

 

            “ Matilda, dearest, is there something to want to say?”

 

            “ Will she be safe?” Matilda asked Samson point blank. “ This school…will she be safe there? Does it matter that Hermione isn’t like some of the other children?”

 

            What she was really asking was, “Does it matter that Hermione comes from non-magical parents? Will she be treated the same as people like you?”

 

            Samson took a moment to think about his answer, they were valid questions. Just off the top of head he could name a few families that would probably give Hermione and those like her a hard time. And then he could think of those children who have never been introduced to first generation children. He couldn’t lie to her…he refused to lie to her.

 

            “  Matilda…Hogwarts was founded on the principle that those with the talent for magic are to be accepted no matter what their background. Albus Dumbledore, the current headmaster, has made it his mission to make sure that all of the students attending are treated with respect. That being said however…just as there is prejudice and hatred in your world, there is in ours. There are some that believe that only those with a strong magical ancestry should be taught how to use magic. I urge you, though, to not allow this sway your decision too heavily. Your daughter has a gift and should nurtured by some of the greatest minds that the UK has to offer.”

 

            “…And if it helps Mrs. Granger, remember that I’ll be there too...” Zora held Hermione’s hand, “ We’ll look out for each other, keep each other safe.”

 

            “ Matilda, I’ve had similar reservations about sending Zora away. After my wife’s murder…I seriously thought of withdrawing her from the waiting-list…but then I realized that by doing something so drastic I was cheating her out of a world of experiences. That…there are no guarantees in life, we just take it one day at a time and deal with comes at us.”

 

            Matilda finished off tea, this was all too much to handle in one sitting. Her daughter was a witch, her best friend was a witch and her father was a wizard. There was a whole other world that she had to deal with because her daughter had to be whisked away to untraceable, undetectable school. And none of this was her Prozac pills talking.

 

            “ Mother…say something…”

 

            “ I wish we hadn’t put down the deposit for your school placement…it’s nonrefundable…”

 

 

c1; HP c1;

 

            After the time spent at the zoo, the trip back to the house was silent. Well, mostly silent. Dudley continued to whimper and Petunia continued to fuss. Vernon however remained silent. He had a dangerous look in his eye. He hadn’t talked since the incident with that man. They knew each other, it was obvious that his aunt and uncle knew the mysterious man. The look of fear and anger on his face was something to behold. The Dursley’s had left Harry to his own devices once they got to the house. Which was most certainly fine with him, the less time he spent with them the better. Petunia and Vernon went upstairs to take care of Dudley while Harry stole some food out of the fridge and pantry and made his way to his “ room.”

 

            His mind swirled with questions as he ate bits and pieces of the quickly acquired sandwich. Harry thought back to the time when he first saw the girl and her father. He was running from his cousin and his crony friends. They talked and then her father returned him to his guardians. Ever since then Vernon had been quicker to anger. An irregularity was instantly pinned on him. The strangest occurrences started to happen. Once, while he was running from his cousin, he remembered wanting to be anywhere else but the school. The next thing he knew he was on the top school looking down at his bewildered cousin. Soon letters started to come in, with his name on it. Vernon would always take them from him before he got a chance to open them…he would burn them in the fireplace. Harry didn’t understand what so wrong about him receiving mail.

 

            It was curious. He didn’t really know anyone out of his “family”…and he didn’t really talk to anyone at school. Vernon had forbidden him from getting them mail. He wondered who could be so desperate to talk to him. He wasn’t anyone special, he was just Harry…Harry Potter, boy orphaned as infant because of a terrible car crash. Harry laid down on his cot and finished eating his meager meal. Trying to stretch out, he felt something sticking him in the leg. The note! He had completely forgotten about it, Harry quickly searched his pockets and smiled. He was happy that it didn’t fall through the hole pocket.

 

Harry,

 

If you ever have trouble with your aunt and uncle again…leave a note outside your house. Label it with: Office of Aurors. Someone will come to investigate. You don’t deserve to be treated like you are worthless. Remember that.

                                                                                                            Sincerely,

                                                                                                A friend of your parents

 

            A friend of his parents? That man knew his parents. Harry read and reread the note probably a hundred times. Someone else knew of his parents. The small smile that grew faltered. There was no name, address or telephone number. Harry wished that the man had put his name on the note. Office of Aurors? Harry had never heard of such a place. Maybe he was mental…like that other fellow that shook his hand and treated him like royalty. Harry stared at the note, for some reason or another he couldn’t disbelieve what the man was telling him. The note, no matter how short it was, gave him hope  So many times did he wish to escape from his wretched family maybe…just maybe this man could help him.

 

“…Things will change around, you’ll see.” Harry smiled contently as he remembered Zora’s optimistic words. He couldn’t help but feel hopeful…maybe his luck was changing around.

 

Suddenly a loud explosion came from the living room, Petunia screamed and Vernon started yelling. Harry cracked his door open to see a flood of letters feeling up the entire house. What was going on?!

 

“ THAT’S IT! WE’RE LEAVING. WE’RE GOING FAR, FAR AWAY! SO CAN’T FIND US!”

 

Going where? So who couldn’t find them? Harry stepped out of the cupboard under the stairs and started grabbing at the letters. Vernon growled and grabbed Harry.

 

“ Let go of me! These are my letters! Let go!” Harry struggled.

 

“ D-daddy’s gone mad hasn’t he?” Dudley fretted, Petunia looked at her husband completely a loss for words.

 

And maybe his lucked hadn’t changed after all, Harry thought.






Chapter End Notes:

Thanks again for reading! Please review!







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.