Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Here we come to the end, and honestly, this feels bittersweet. This story has been finished for some time, at least a year but I couldn't quite let it go yet. I've had so much fun reviving and adding to a story that I had finished years ago. But this being the ten year anniverary of the end of Jovan it felt right to post it now. I hope you all enjoyed it as much as I did writing it. And I hope I did the character's justice.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Epilogue


Three Years Later


Thanksgiving Week


Llanview


 


The aroma of homemade pasta sauce and Italian sausage assaulted the detective’s senses as soon as he pulled into the drive way of his home in Llanview Gardens District. Shutting off the engine and whistling a nameless tune, he couldn’t help but pause for a minute to acknowledge how much his life had changed in a couple of years.  John McBain, Lieutenant Detective of the Llanview Police Department was now officially a family man. And though it seemed like he had become your typical average suburban stale piece of Wonder Bread at 38 years of age, complete with a sensible sedan, marriage, car seat and mortgage, his life was anything but.


Evangeline had made sure of that. She promised that life with her would never be boring and true to form, she did not disappoint. Every day John learned something new about his soul mate, about the world, and about himself. He had learned and was still learning how to live his life to the fullest with no regrets. They traveled when they could-hell, even when they couldn’t-found ways to get freaky in the most public of places that two servants of the law had no business doing, and their home was full of mayhem, mishaps, and adventure.


More importantly, it was a home filled with love.


John was still a man of few words, but he made sure to utter his feelings for his wife every morning, noon and night and definitely made sure to show her as many times as he could.


He thought about what his mother said two years ago, when he first brought Evangeline home to meet his crazy Irish family. It didn’t take her long to charm each and every soul in that house including Eve McBain’s cat. By the end of the might, even tipsy, she brought the room to tears with stirring renditions of Danny Boy and Suil A Ruin.


In the middle of the impromptu performance, Eve watched her eldest brother Brennan, who hadn’t shed a tear when he lost his leg, or his first wife to childbirth, swell around his eyes as the warm melodic voice filled the air that ironically reminding them of a home that was never forgotten. She leaned over to her son and whispered, “If you don’t marry that woman, there are at least three cousins who will gladly offer their hand, but one way or another she was meant to be in this family, my boy.”


John said nothing, but his mother was right as she almost always was. Not long after that, they did Christmas at her and her mother’s house. While John did not have the same smooth experience that Van had with his family, and understandably so, he managed to gain her mother and Uncle Clay’s approval by the end of the weekend. It came with the warning, of course, that if he broke their “Cookie’s” heart, he would pay for it in blood. And he was pretty sure it was a promise considering Van’s Penn State giant linebacker cousin was looming in the background ready to pounce.


After that, months passed-the lovers still in their own world doing their part to contribute to the Llanview gossip pages. The detective’s new lease on life had been noticed by all. And when Evangeline’s sister Layla came to town to stay at the beginning of spring, it was agreed that since he practically lived with Van anyway and shared many of her expenses, he would give his apartment to Layla and officially move into the condo. Not only was the move logical, but necessary as it was kind of hard to have creative and spontaneous sex when his girlfriend’s sister was in the other room cracking up.


On Independence Day, they threw their first holiday bash together, inviting friends and family from both sides, testing the waters to see how the people in their extended lives would fair in the same room. It was prickly at first, but by the time Van and John’s uncles gave stirring speeches about the irony of the holiday and the group of people who had gathered to celebrate, an overwhelming sense of unity had been created in that moment.


And on a rainy night in July on the exact same night Evangeline had answered John’s dare and gave him that life altering kiss two years prior-while in their bed fresh from lovemaking and in typical John McBain understated fashion-he asked his girlfriend to become his wife as he placed his mother’s engagement ring on an unsuspecting finger.


For Evangeline Williamson to say unhesitatingly yes when she had stated that marriage was not necessary for commitment, was an example of how much she had overcome many of her own fears as her relationship with McBain progressed.


By October, in the presence of family and friends, it was Evangeline’s turn to walk down the aisle. Marcie, one of her matrons of honor returned the favor and sang very prettily with Layla Fools Rush In, as her other matron Nora accompanied on the piano. As they said their vows to one another and the minister declared them as man and wife, the detective knew that nothing had ever felt more right or more certain than becoming a husband to the beautiful woman beside him.


John’s reminiscing was broken as another waft of savory spices filled his nostrils and taunted his starving stomach. He grabbed his briefcase and slid out the car. The house, or “McBain Manor” as he jokingly called it, was decorated in season complete with autumn foliage and pumpkin colored curtains that his mother had given as a housewarming gift not too long ago. Made of Tudor stone the five bedroom house sat sleepily behind a small wooded area with five or six other houses in similar positions but spaciously apart. There was a wrap-around porch that held various perennials in cherry wooden flower boxes, patio furniture placed on all sides made of wicker. The fencing was painted Cornish blue while the porch floor shared the same material as the flower boxes.  On the left side of the back lawn was a vegetable garden and on the right lawn, a flower garden, that in spite of Van’s busy workload, received as much attention and vigorous care as everything else in her life. And they still had a half an acre of untouched wooded area that was exclusively theirs.


He and Evangeline were shocked when their mothers presented them with a check on their wedding day. Both were old school and had been putting money away for years for this very event. Michael and Marcie had received something from Eve as well, but his brother was sworn to secrecy as it was supposed to be a surprise for John and Evangeline when it was their turn. John and Evangeline were not exactly hurting for money. Both made a good amount, though Evangeline had the higher salary, and they were very practical with their income. There was more than enough to save and spend as they saw fit. The monetary gift was almost turned down but their parents would hear none of it.


So Evangeline and John decided they would put a down payment on a house when the time was right. But as John turned the idea over in his head, when he thought about the type of home he wanted for them and their future family, he knew that there would nothing out already made that would suit who they were. And with Van’s eager blessing, the decision was made to build their dream home. Nothing too fancy but something cozy, elegant, a bit rugged and representative of both parties as individuals united.


And to John’s surprise their project became one that extended to family and friends and also forged new relationships with unexpected people. Cris Vega had finally had enough of Natalie Buchanan’s bullshit and had divorced her not too long after Natalie’s outburst in John’s office. Along the way, he somehow managed to fall head over heels in love with Evangeline’s sister and this ironically made him and John one step closer to family then they ever wanted to be. It was a rocky start, but both men had come to realize they were holding onto an old harvest that had yielded better fruit in the end for both parties when put in perspective.


It was time to leave the past in the past.


That and both Layla and Evangeline were not having it. She had made Cris yet another honorary sibling and was determined to help him in any way she could. In return, he helped John and Van with the concept of their home through beautiful drawings now proudly displayed in various parts of the homestead.


While searching for the perfect place, Todd Manning grudgingly suggested they check out the Garden District which was about fifteen minutes away from downtown Llanview. Manning disliked the detective for many reasons, but he adored his best friend to John’s annoyance and he thought Cris’ drawings would sit perfectly on the land he was willing to sell them for practically nothing-his belated wedding gift. The lawyer had saved Todd from jail numerous times-including death row-and even if her taste in men sucked, he wanted her to have everything her heart desired. He would be eternally grateful for her friendship and loyalty. John, of course, was ready to decline but when Evangeline talked him into visiting the charming wooded are that would give him “all the privacy he ever wanted” he had to admit that it was a perfect place to practice endless hours of family making and eventually raise their children.


Evangeline’s Uncle, Joe Ward, was a noted contractor in Philly and offered his business at an extremely discounted rate since the McBains were paying for all the materials and offering catered meals via Carlotta Vega. Over the course of the year, John, Michael, Cris, Bo, and a few of Evangeline’s relative’s chipped in every weekend building the house stone by stone, wall by wall. They drank beers, did some male bonding while hammering away their collective frustration concerning various matters.


Finally, at the end of spring that year, construction was complete. Their small community had come together for the pair and it solidified why Llanview with all its dark twists and secrets, was the perfect place to start their lives together. The town-good or bad-took care of its own.


John unlocked the back door and was greeted with a cacophony of noises the minute he stepped through. There were about ten different women sparse throughout the spacious kitchen in various shapes, sizes, and hues with glasses of red wine well within reach. Anita Baker was playing loudly in the background, a few off key voices signing with the track and laughing.


He quietly watched the scene, not ready to announce his presence.


 “Can someone explain to me why we’re prepping for Thanksgiving four days beforehand? I could be in bed with my man right now giving many thanks for all that hotness solely for my pleasure,” said Layla Williamson, her high ponytail shaking with equal consternation as she pounded the poor dough on the counter into submission. The massive marble island countertop was covered with various bowls, spices, and pastries in a cluttered but organized fashion.


A tall woman with striking features and regal posture, wearing a chignon, breezed by the young woman, “You’re not too young to get that mouth washed out with soap young lady.”


“Mama, I’m just saying. Some of us unmarried folks have needs.”


Evangeline McBain-Williamson turned around from her spot at the stove her Kiss the Cook apron, still unsoiled and doing a very poor job of hiding her very pregnant belly.


“Hah. After all the money Mommy spent on you living out dream number 4,450  of being a chef, I’d think you of all people would  appreciate my attention to detail in planning this feast.”


“Hmm hmm,” chimed a pixie of a woman with similar features to Evangeline save for the cropped haircut, also pregnant. “And Lay will be the first in line at the buffet and the first to say something if it doesn’t taste right.”


Evangeline laughed. “Thank you Brysës! And, I’ll have you know, it is not easy hosting a dinner for forty plus people when you’re carrying a heavy load that insists on torturing your uterus. A load, by the way, that came from satisfying my and my husband’s needs thank you very much.”


John smiled at that. Marcie McBain and Nora Buchanan lifted their glasses in the air and replied. “I’ll drink to that!” Nora grinned at Layla. “Your time is coming, dear. Cris is finally settled and his career is in full swing. I do believe he thinks you are the one he’s been waiting for his entire life. Those Vega boys don’t wait when they’ve found the one.”


Layla rolled her eyes. “I am not ready to share Cristian with a snot nosed little brat, even if it comes from us. We have plenty of time for all of that. I enjoy having my figure intact.”


“Then I hope you’re practicing safe sex,” replied Eve McBain causing Layla to spit out the wine she had just taken a swig of which in turn cause Lisa Williamson to laugh with her daughter’s mother-in-law.


It was then that Evangeline saw John standing at the doorway, her eyes twinkling at the sight of her husband looking very tall, not so dark, but definitely handsome. She gave him one of her special smiles and waddled over to him.


“You eavesdropping on girl talk McBain?” she asked as she began to shed him of his coat.


Variations of greetings from the other women were offered and John replied with, “Hello ladies. Smells good in here.”


Stepping out of his shoes and placing them by the door, he returned to Evangeline’s waiting arms and gave her belly a gentle rub.  “And I wasn’t eavesdropping, simply admiring my gorgeous wife with child.”


And she was even more beautiful if it was possible. Everyone the attorney came into contact with went on about her glow. Her breasts usually not more than a handful were spilling out of her shirts these days, and her tight little body, while still firm and luscious was now ample in all the right places. Even Van’s hair now just below her chest in curls was shinier and thicker.


John could not complain about any of it, as all these changes, simply added to what was already perfection. He spent much of his free time worshipping it all and happily so.


Evangeline stood on her toes to meet John’s lips as he swept her into a passionate kiss that had her stocking covered toes curled. There was a range of whooping and hollering and barf noises as they shut out the world and shared their version of an everyday greeting.


John could feel his pants tightening as Van’s hot little tongue meshed with his and he reluctantly had to pull her back before he embarrassed the both of them. Evangeline was always a sexual person as far as he was concerned, but the baby, made her more so if that was even possible. It took less than five seconds for things to get X rated in the McBain household these days.


He whispered “later” to her and slapped her butt playfully before grabbing her hand and asking the inevitable question that all men asked when coming home. “What’s for dinner?”


Van rolled her eyes, “Our moms collaborated and out did themselves with rigatoni and Italian sausage with fresh garlic and green pepper.”


“Yeah, but it was my recipe,” Brysës chimed in.


“You mean your Italian husband’s recipe,” Layla corrected. “Cuz, everyone knows you can crack open a chest, but a can of tomato sauce? Please.”


Brysës stuck out her tongue on that one. “What’s mine is his and all that. It’s a married thing.”


John chucked and headed over to his mom and mother-in-law to greet them with a kiss on the cheek. “Thank you, ladies for taking care of Van for me. If I left her to her on her own, she would be doing everything she’s not supposed to do.”


Lisa gave him a pat on the back and winked. ‘”We’ve got your back John. That’s our little cookie in their too.”


“You better pray that baby is a girl bro,” Layla joked.


Van scowled at her sister and then grabbed John by the arm and lead him toward the island. “We’ve got most of the prep work done so come Turkey Day I won’t feel like I want to drive a spike through my head.” John eyed cookie dough on the table and opened his mouth. His wife only smirked and fed him a spoonful.


“But when I wanted some, Sis practically bit my hand off.”


“Don’t be a hater, sis,” John said as he gave his wife another quick peck.


Layla groaned. “Ugh, don’t ever utter those words again. It’s just so wrong.”


Van pulled his hand along toward the living room, John making sure to tweak his sister-in-law’s nose on the way out.


“Michael, Cris, Bo and Emilio are in the den putting together the new chairs that came in today. Feel free to put those manly muscles to use and make our home look pretty. Show’em how it’s done, McBain.”


For the moment, they were alone. John gave her another kiss, this time gentle and slow-burning. “If it’s anyone it should be me,” he joked.


“But you’re okay, right? The baby is fine?” he asked, this time his tone more solemn.


“Yes, babe, I’m fine. I felt a little tired earlier so I took a power nap , but other than that, I feel great. Baby McBain is kicking something fierce though.”


A few weeks ago, Evangeline had almost had a scare when she tripped over a bottle on the way to her office. She tried to break her fall, but fell hard on her stomach. Thankfully, there was no serious injury to her or the baby, other than a scratched hand, but John had gone ballistic, ready to troll the streets for the littering criminal that dare put his family in jeopardy.


Since then he was calling in favors having Evangeline watched from time to time to ensure her safety. And when she found out, she was the one about to go ballistic. It wasn’t necessarily a new side of John as he had always been protective, but it was never to this extreme. He had promised her years ago that once he unleashed his love, it would be a different kind of man she was used to seeing.


“I still can’t believe this is our life sometimes, you know? What did I do to deserve you?”


“Hmm, all you did was love me John. That’s how you got here.”


The energy shifted and Evangeline wrapped her arms around John’s neck and walked him backward until she had him against the wall.


“I’ve been thinking about this all day, waiting for you to get home so I could have my wicked way with you,” Evangeline said huskily in his ear.


John moaned and shut his eyes. Fuck yeah. “Then what are you waiting for? Let’s kick everyone the hell out. Send them to Bo and Nora’s. They got plenty of room in that new castle of theirs.”


Just as Evangeline was considering doing just that, Layla ruined the moment appearing in the living room doorway.


“Mom!  Van is about to defile the living room with John!” She grinned wickedly. “Just returning the favor, cock blocker.” The dark beauty gave the couple a thumbs up before cackling and heading back to the kitchen.


John let a few swear words slip before nibbling on Van’s neck. “I’m going to kill her.”


Evangeline laughed. “The anticipation will make it all the more fun. Now go do manly things and make my living room pretty.”


The two gave each other a sultry look before parting ways and John descended to the down a small flight of stairs that was known as the family den. He could hear male voices protesting against what sounded like a bad call in whatever game they were watching.


Michael was the first to greet his brother as he entered the spacious room. “Johnny! Finally, dude. Game just started.”


“And Dallas is making you look like school girls already,” laughed Emilio Otunga Venedicci, with his thick Italian accent. Easily the tallest and bulkiest man in the room, the bald headed man stood up to shake John’s hand, his ebony muscles flexing involuntarily along the way.


Brysës’ husband, a Dallas transplant had been goading John since his arrival to Llanview him about the infamous Cowboys/Eagles rivalry. “Stick to soccer, Venedicci,” John retorted.


The coffee table had been pushed to the back of the room and five huge boxes lined one side of the wall with three oak finished chairs in front. At the center of the floor where the men sat across from a gigantic flat screen, a myriad of wooden parts, nails, and other tools lay haphazardly. The detective took a seat next to Bo, the cold beer he was offered and got comfortable.


“Van said you started the chairs, but all I see is a pile of shit.”


“Hey, I put together two by myself because I’m secure in my manhood to read the directions,” said Cris.


“Yeah, and your wife said a few chairs, when she tricked us into coming with the ladies,” Michael complained.


John grunted as he took a swig of the brew. “All you heard was beer and food. I told you before that it was going to be a packed house. Don’t blame my woman, greedy ass.”


Michael huffed. “We don’t blame her, we blame you. That’s why I’m borrowing a few of your precious jazz records tonight for the penance. Me and the missus are gonna recreate ourselves some savoy savagery.”


All the men in the room groaned, Cris the loudest. “Dude, way too much information being shared here.”


Michael remained unfazed. “What can I say? Marriage has brought out a whole new side to Marce. I didn’t know she was a majorette in high school, but she puts those flexible skills to use. She does this one thing with her leg-“


“Mikey,” John warned. “I don’t want to hear about my sweet little sister-in-law and her legs. It ain’t right.”


Bo gave his friend a toothy grin. “Says the man who got caught with another officer of the law with his pants down in the back of Rodi’s parking lot,”


“Don’t forget the elevator at the hotel,” chimed Michael. His fellow intern colleague had a relative who worked the security cameras at the Palace and said the cousin had seen his brother and Van getting “freak nasty” in the lift.


“Or Llanview Park.  Layla went jogging with them when she decided to take up fitness for a day and somehow they got ‘lost’ and when she found them forty minutes later…” Cris left the sentence unfinished.


The detective grunted, but his eyes were smiling as he reminisced on all of those very memorable moments. “Fine. You made your point. Now shut the hell up and earn your booze.”


Bo patted John heartily on the back. “You know we love you. And I’m glad you and Van got it together in time. Happiness looks good on you bro, and the LPD station thanks you for it too.”


John could not disagree with that. The men continued to rib one another as they got to work on the chairs and yelled some more at the screen, their Birds ahead by two points. With his buds, beer, beloved Eagles, family, and wife not too far away, McBain was at peace.






Chapter End Notes:

If you don't know what to do, leave a review,







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.