Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Sorry for the long wait, but life has been uber busy. I'm loving the support though. Thanks to the reviewers and the lurkers. There are a lot of lurkers! LOL. 

 

So just wanna explain a little bit about the timeline. There are some things I moved around for the sake of the story line and also because I feel that this should have been the natural progression of things during JoVan in 05. 

 

As usual, I own nothing but this story. If I did, OLTL would so not be cancelled. Sad that's it's almost over and it's still edning on a bad not from what I've heard. SMH.

 

Also, this song is pretty popular. Dancin' In The Moonlight is one of my happy jams. I love the Toploader version from A Walk To Remember but in this story I'm going with the original.

 

Enjoy!




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Tomorrow eventually turned into today and John and Evangeline were grudgingly facing the music that reality was reclaiming the lovers. The only upside to their rude awakening, besides the newly cemented commitment, was the fact that they spent the entire day rechristening the whole of Evangeline's condo including a tryst on top of a heavy duty spin cycle. John knew he would never complain about the way Van did laundry. Ever.

They were adults, however. Adults who had bigger responsibilities to the citizens of Llanview than most and both were capable of prioritizing. With the promise of having lunch together since Evangeline would be at the station speaking with a client, John got down to the business of being  an LPD  detective and spent the morning catching up on his cases.

Having asked not be to disturbed for a couple of hours unless of an emergency, the detective was so engrossed in a report, he almost missed the vibration of his phone ringing on his desk. Absentmindedly, he grabbed the device and shifted focus long enough to screen the call. With a small smile he watched "MOM" pop up in flashing green caps. She always had a sixth sense for calling whenever something major was going on his life. She claimed it a divine gift that all Irish mothers were given.

"Hey Ma," he greeted almost cheerfully and it didn't escape his mother's attention.

"Well!" Eve McBain said in a dramatic gasp, "John Kilpatrick McBain, answerin' his phone in a brilliant mood. Did you steal the soda bread I made for your brother again?"

John grinned and began fiddling with the pen in his hand. He missed his mother's voice sometimes. It was a mixture of a very stereotypical Jersey accent and being the daughter of Irish immigrant parents who instilled in her to never forget her Celtic roots. Her voice had a bit of a lilt now that she spent summers in Ireland with relatives. He needed to get home more. He missed her. But like anything he had come to love, he learned to hold her at arm's length.

"Of course," he answered seriously. "I finished mine first. Everything okay up there?"

Eve McBain laughed heartily. Even after years of tragedy in her life, John thought her laugh was the one thing that never showed the signs. "Everything is fine, just fine. Though, you would know that more if you came home to visit your poor mother more than four times a year."

John rolled his eyes at the scolding. He knew it wouldn't be long before heard that guilt trip in full. "And you better keep those eyes firmly in place. There is no excuse for a man who lives but an hour and a half away not to visit more often."

"I'm sorry Mom. Things have been kind of crazy lately. There's a lot going on with work and stuff but you know I make it home when I can."

"Uh-huh. Stuff being that lovely lady lawyer you've been keeping hours with? How is Evangeline dear? I hope she enjoyed the gift I gave her as a belated birthday present. A birthday I had to hear about from your brother who already has his own fiancée to think about."

John silently cursed Michael for purposefully dropping tapes on his personal life to their mother and promised he would retaliate in some kind of way. "Yeah, well Michael has a big mouth. She loved the scarf and the embarrassing photos of me that she claims must have accidentally been at the bottom of the box. Are you and Mikey in on my humiliation together?"

Eve laughed once more and tsked. "Nonsense, dear! I would never do that to my favorite eldest son," she teased.  "You know, I like her very much. We've only met that one time when I had to come down and put your idiotic cousin in her place, but I liked what I saw. She comes from good stock as my grandfather would say. She's strong, intelligent, beautiful, and she must be as patient as Job to put up with your shenanigans. She sent me a lovely card last week for Thanksgiving with a hand written note thanking me for the gift. That's class right there."

John could not disagree with anything his mother said because Evangeline was class personified. He was also glad that Eve sincerely liked his woman. She had always been passive aggressive with some of his other girlfriends of the past, aside from Caitlin. And sometimes she was just aggressive. It was one of the reasons why he never introduced them to his mother unless he was serious, which happened less than a handful of times.

"So...things are good then, with Evangeline I mean," his mom finished.

John softened as he remembered the previous night (and morning) with Van in the throes of passion. He also said silent thanks that he hadn't lost her over his idiotic behavior, especially now that his mother was singing her praises. If she approved, he knew he was taking a step in the right direction "Everything is fine. We've...well..." he cleared his throat, "We've taken some big steps Mom. You'd be proud. I admitted that I was in love with her."

He thought the phrase would sound foreign when relaying it to someone else-even his mother-but he found that it wasn't. It was almost relief to be able to say it as a matter of fact and to someone as important as his mom. If you couldn't tell the person who changed your shitty diapers, who the hell could you tell?

"Oh I'm so happy for you son!" Eve exclaimed. "You deserve to have a good woman like that. And I'm proud of you, making moves in your life. I've been praying for you every day since you were born. God has protected you and blessed you. Don't forget that."

"I won't Ma. Thanks."

"Well, my two sons have grown up on me and have found their soul mates. Michael is on his way to alter soon and you'll not be too far behind, now that you've gotten yourself together. Oh, what about a double wedding? And the relatives could all come at once and save money!"

John stopped fiddling with his pen. "Ma, I didn't say anything about a wedding. Don't put words in my mouth and don't be saying anything about it either. That's for me and Evangeline to decide."

"I have no idea what you're on about John McBain. It was simply a suggestion. But I thought you've declared your love," Eve said feigning confusion fully aware her son would see right through the act.

"I said we love each other, I didn't say anything about ceremonies and relatives I haven't seen since my first communion. Go bother Michael if you want grandchildren. I'm sure he and Marcie will keep you up to your ears since all they do is-"

"Watch your mouth!" Eve warned. And she was serious. "The next time I see you I'll wash it out with soap in front of your girlfriend and then we'll see how tough you are."

John simply grunted, because he was kind of sure she wasn't completely bluffing.

"Now, I called with a purpose and you've got me off on a tangent. I wanted to invite you and Evangeline to Thanksgiving dinner.  All the Philly and Long Island relatives will be here and I thought it would be a great chance for you to introduce your lady to the family. No pressure, of course."

John sat back in his chair and sighed. He really didn't know if he wanted Evangeline to get thrown in the lion's den just yet. Not that his family were bad people, but he was afraid that they'd never let her go at the end of the night, and John was not someone who shared. They'd treat her as some type of novelty and tell her every embarrassing thing they knew about him and he'd wind up punching one of his cousins in the face.

"I don't know ma. Let me talk to Evangeline. She may have something going on with her family."

"Well, I spoke with her a few weeks ago, and she agreed to come if she hadn't strangled you yet from being such a pea brain."

John found himself frowning at the phone again.

"You spoke with Van? About me?"

"Oh calm down and don't get yourself all out of sorts. Michael gave her my number because she wanted to bounce some Christmas gift ideas off of me for you. The conversation led to holidays and families and I simply asked her if she would feel comfortable coming to a family gathering. She only said you were being an idiot because it was true. And she didn't elaborate. Not that she had to because I already know that you can be the smartest dolt at times. And I told her not to mention anything to you in case things were not...stable which, by the way, she sensibly agreed."

The detective could not find one fault in that entire explanation-reluctantly-so he had no choice but to let it go. That and his mother would box his ears if he didn't.

"Fine, you win. We'll be there. But you make sure you put her between me and you. I'm serious ma. Especially if that idiot Sean is going to be around. "

Eve simply agreed as if it were already done and began her farewells. "Well, I love you son. I'm glad you're in a better place and that you've found love. You've accomplished so much. Your father would be proud of you. I hope you know that. "

He had always wondered what his old man would say about the choices he made in his life. Not all were good, but he worked hard to do right by his family and by the people he served. Now he was trying to do right for himself. It was a balancing act he never managed well, but was hoping to change. "I hope so mom."

"He is. He's probably up there right now with Mary Brenna plotting on a divine intervention." Mother and son laughed at the thought and then there was a moment of silence. A quiet reflection on what was one a full and happy home. "You know, your father used to say to me all the time that the person who you fell for one day would have you going in circles without having to try. I see it in your girl. She makes you crazy."

"Yeah. And then some," John agreed. "Just don't tell her I said that."

"Your secret is safe with me. I have to go. I love you my dear and please behave.  I'll be expecting a visit before the holidays."

John promised to visit his mother over the weekend and gave her his love and hung up his thoughts returning work. The sooner he got his paperwork finished the quicker he could back to learning how to live again.

**********

"...You are a liar! That is not what happened, Van. You know. Don't let the badge be fool you. Underneath, lies a man who is ruthless."

"It's the eyes...they're misleading," John quipped, giving the man sitting across from him a warning with those very same misleading eyes.

His detractor wasn't worried and simply gave him the finger, hidden discreetly from the woman sitting next to him, of course. "Yeah, I was talking to Evangeline bro. Anyway, I was five and afraid of the basement. I never would have gone looking for the Christmas presents down there even if I knew that's where Ma hid them. He was the one who told me and said he could show me what I got if I gave him two of my comic books.  And he told me if I ever told anyone the bogeyman would come and eat me for betraying the brotherhood oath of loyalty. "

John shrugged. "Mikey was never good at covering his tracks that's all. Didn't wanna see him with no Christmas while we all sat around getting ours. That's love right there."

"Whatever, I still have a ringing in my ears to this day from being walloped by Ma."

"Aw...let me kiss it for you, baby. Where does it hurt?"

Dr. Michael McBain grinned and pointed to his lips as his fiancée leaned over and gave him a lusty peck on the lips.

Evangeline laughed as John pretended to be disgusted. "Why do I get the feeling that this story had nothing to do with outing your brother and everything to do with you getting lovin' from Marcie?"

Michael winked at Marcie Walsh whose cheeks turned tomato red and big, expressive eyes went wide even as she chuckled. She looked utterly delectable in that moment. ‘What can I say? Being the victim has its perks."

The elder brother snorted, "Scamming women into kissing him is pretty much the only way he can get play."

The petite writer frowned at John, then at Michael. "Yeah, well there better be one woman in the singular he's scamming or he's going to have problems in the plural."

The doctor took his lady's hand and brought to his lips for a kiss. "All I desire is packed into five feet two inches of perfection, my love."

Marcie melted at the words as John threw the Eagles football on his desk at his brother and told them to get a room that wasn't his office.

The two men began playful banter while their ladies laughed and gave each other their typical, "boys will be boys" look and watched with mirth. It seemed happiness had finally come to the Brothers McBain and there weren't two people in the world that deserved it more.

There was nothing Evangeline liked seeing more than John when he was in his relaxed state and hanging with his brother. Michael McBain was the night to John's day. A few inches taller with adorable puppy eyes and a big heart, his laid back nature and life-is-too-short-to-not-live-it philosophy often had the men on opposing sides of an issue. But it was also evident that they would walk through fire and slay dragons for one another if necessary. With Michael, it was one of the rare occasions he was able to let go of the baggage and simply be John. Not the detective, eldest son of the murdered police officer and sister, or Llanview's resident tortured soul, but simply John. It  gave him a bit of humanity at times when Evangeline had thought he was a machine on auto pilot.

As for John, he too was thinking along the lines of his family. Lunch with Evangeline had turned into lunch with his brother and his fiancée when Evangeline had called to say that she had run into them while picking up their food at Rodi's and wanted to invite them for an impromptu get together. John wouldn't have minded spending his break alone with his woman but he was equally glad that she and Michael had always had a friendly and easy going relationship. In fact, Michael normally took her side when it came to John being a dickhead. It was both annoying and assuring. And Marcie and Evangeline had grown close with one another since they'd been brave enough to attach themselves to the Brothers McBain. He knew for a fact that Evangeline had taken a shine to Marcie and saw her as her other little sister. And Marcie adored Van. It was good to know that they would always have her back as much as they had his.

They had been fifteen minutes into lunch when the childhood stories started and John groaned because Mikey was his partner in crime through almost everything as children. Not only did he know where the bodies were buried, he knew how they got there to begin with.

But John loved to watch his woman's reaction as she took in the new information about him. Even though he never liked the spotlight on him under any circumstances, he knew how much it meant to her, being let into his small circle and knowing the insignificant details only a loved one would know. "Unraveling the mystery that is Johnny Mac", she had teased earlier while they were making plates. Sometimes she would laugh, other times her mouth would form a perfect "O" in awe of disbelief at the scrapes they got in and barely managed to get out of unharmed. As Mikey revealed pieces of John's past-the happier times-she would look at him while he sat at his desk trying to ignore the tell all and give him her a sultry smile. The one that said, "I'm gonna destroy you when we get home."

That type of destruction, John liked. And that made the trip down memory lane well worth the torture.

A comfortable silence fell over the room as everyone began eating again and then Michael, after taking a sip of his drink Michael told John that their mother had called him earlier in the morning.

John nodded. "She called me too. What'd she call you about?"

Michael gave John a look. "For some reason she was under the impression that Marcie and I were about to give her a gaggle of grandchildren. You wouldn't happen to know anything about that, huh?"

Tilting his head slightly, John gave a perplexed look, his eyes giving nothing away. "Absolutely nothing." His brow went up a notch. "But she said you were the one who told her Evangeline wanted to see my baby pictures."

To be fair, Michael did try his best to look indignant at the thought. "Sorry man. That was all Ma.  I only told her which ones Van might want to see."

"Like the one with my naked ass running around like an idiot in the backyard with nothing but a cowboy hat?"

Both Michael and Evangeline snorted which made them laugh even harder. Michael put up his hand trying to stop himself from falling over. "I-I..." he tried to speak but he couldn't even manage that small feat.

Marcie tried to be diplomatic. "Now that's not very nice Michael. You wouldn't like it if someone did that to you."

John reached out to give Marcie a fist bump. "Thank you Marcie. At least someone cares about my invasion of privacy."

Michael shrugged. "I'm not ashamed. All of my pictures showcase my manliness even at the wee age of three. I was the hottest baby on the block. Mom even said so. I had a cute butt then and I've been told I have one now."

Evangeline let out a small whoop. "Now, Marce, you can't argue with that!"

John glared at his girlfriend playfully. "You think it's funny? Where's the loyalty?"

"Oh goodness," she said trying to calm herself down as she wiped away a tear.  "Babe, I'm on your side. It's just...the thought of you breaking the law with indecent exposure! You have to see the humor in that."

"We were on private property."

"Semantics." Evangeline leaned over and gave John a quick kiss on the mouth. "But I'll make it up to you later," she said in a sultry tone that guaranteed it was a promise she meant to keep.

John's eyes immediately went darker and he could feel his underwear getting tighter at the possibilities that came with the evening. "I'm holding you to that."

Michael and Marcie smiled and gave a heated look of their own to one another, but Marcie was the first to break the gaze. "So, Evangeline, will you be coming to Thanksgiving dinner? It'll be nice to have someone there besides the McBain brothers that I actually know. We can be each other's reinforcement."

Evangeline glanced at John and shrugged. "Well, we haven't discussed it, though I forgot a few weeks ago I spoke with Eve and she gave me an invite."

John decided to play ignorant, though he was secretly pleased that she offered the information herself. "Oh yeah? And what did you guys talk about? Did she try to fill your head with exaggerated stories of my childhood?"

"That is none of your business. It was girl talk and that's all you have to know McBain," she countered with an innocent smile. "But I will say that I'm not going home for Thanksgiving because my mother has decided not to cook and visit her mother's family instead."

"Well, then that's settled," John said as he took a swig of his drink. "Van's coming with us."

Evangeline laughed. "Well don't be too excited about it. You don't want me to meet your family McBain?"

Before the detective could answer, Mikey chimed in. "He's afraid that once you get there and everyone drops tapes on him, you'll see how uncool and unmanly he really is. He may have you fooled being some hotshot suave detective but, like I said before, Johnny ain't no mac."

Michael laughed at his stupid pun while Marcie rolled her eyes.

"Your brother is going to kill you. So shut up before you wind up ruining the wedding photos with you in a body cast. And I will never forgive you if you ruin my wedding day Michael McBain. And speaking of the wedding, since we're all here..."

"Nice save," John saluted.

Marcie smiled prettily and turned her attention to Evangeline. "You know since you and John started dating, we've become a lot closer and I'd like to think we've become good friends even. You've been in my corner a lot Van and...well when I came to Llanview I thought I had a best friend who would always be one and that didn't work out so much."

Marcie paused for a moment as if her mind travelled off to another place in time and Evangeline's heart swelled. She knew a little bit about Marcie's background from what the lovely young lady had told her: being the deceased Jennifer Rappaport's henchman and her first love with Al, who had also passed away. She had talked to her about her issues with her body and how she had stooped so low just so that she could fit in with anyone, even if it meant hurting other people.  Marcie Walsh wasn't considered beautiful like Jessica Buchanan or a sexy spitfire like her sister Natalie Vega. When they were all in college together and the young women had men fawning over them left and right "chubby" little invisible bookworm Marcie stood back afar and longed for that attention.  Scheming with Jen Rappaport was supposed to be a way for her to gain popularity but for every dark deed Marcie co-conspired with Jen, the more she became unlikable to herself and those around her. And that was not the real Marcie Elizabeth Walsh. She was known in her own hometown for being kind and generous. No one had ever had a bad thing to say about her.

Thankfully, Marcie had grown up and finally learned to be her own person and recognize her self-worth instead of relying on others to do it for her. A newly restored buoyant and confident Marcie met Al Holden who was a troubled kid with a troubled past and a drug problem. He was Marcie's first and only love and it was because of her love that Al got through his problems and he fell hard for her. But just as they were busy making plans for the future, Al found out he had a terminal illness. He fought it all the way until the very end, leaving behind a brokenhearted Marcie.

Evangeline admired how Marcie was able to pick herself up and move on even as she felt like dying. After all, she thought she had found her soul mate and there was no chance in hell that she would ever love or be loved like that again, she had once told Van. And then she meant the cocky and insufferable first year resident Dr. Michael McBain and their initial love/hate relationship had somehow lost the latter emotion along the way.  Michael became her soulmate and the love of her life. She shared with Van that she felt that Al had personally sent him to her at the right time in her life.  

So yes, Evangeline loved the bubbly and chatty Marcie Walsh. The girl had a set of pipes on her that were out of this world and they had bonded over their love of music and theatre. She was a little high strung at times, but it was never annoyingly so and always endearing. She was also intelligent and a good friend. Michael was the perfect balance for her. He was funny, charming, and laid back. As far as Evangeline was concerned Marcie was beautiful both inside and out. Her face was a flawless peaches and cream complexion with gorgeous saucer like eyes the color of jade. Her hair-always short to accentuate her round face-was a pretty shade of toffee. The pair looked perfect together.

Both women snapped out of their silent reveries when John cleared his throat.

Marcie shook her head and laughed.  "Sorry! I think we both had a shared moment of reflection. I've never had that happen before outside of Michael," she exclaimed.

Of course, that statement made her blush and Michael grin from ear to ear.

"But what I was trying to say is that I really appreciate you and your sincerity in our friendship. You've been like a sister to me, helping me with the wedding, listening to my thoughts, putting up with me in head case mode. I'm just so glad that you and John are together because it gives me hope that one day you'll become my sister in reality."

Evangeline could not help but tear up at that. She reached over the desk and grabbed Marcie's hand tightly and gave it a squeeze. "Oh Marcie. I feel the same way. I feel like you're my second little sister. You've come to mean a lot to me. No matter what happens, we'll always be friends. You're lovely and I'm so happy for you and Michael. You're going to be a lovely bride and I'll be at that church to witness it all."

Marcie couldn't hold back her tears. "Not from the sidelines, I hope. Michael and I had talked about it earlier and it seems right to ask you right now with the four of us kind of being family now. We would be honored if you not only sang at the wedding, but if you would become my maid of honor."

Evangeline gasped. She looked back and forth from John to Michael to Marcie and back to John once more. He gave her one of his sexy half smiles and winked.  She had no idea that they thought of her as that kind of family; not when up until a day ago, she wasn't even sure where she stood with John. She hadn't even been able to tell her or even Nora about the new developments since everything happened. She was kind of being selfish and enjoying the new found intimacy between them and wasn't ready to blab it to her girls yet.  But still, Marcie and Michael knew the gist of the issues she and John were having and while they were supportive she never thought for once they would see her as one of them, even if she was dating Michael's brother.

Not sure of what Evangeline's reaction meant, Marcie rambled on. "Now, I know that's a lot to ask and if Nora and Daniel keep things going the way they are, you'll be maid of honor at her wedding as well I'm sure, but...you've been helping me with the planning and you have great taste. And you always tell me I deserve the best and that is you; someone who has known me for a small amount of the time compared to the people in Llanview but has been the most supportive and kindest woman I've ever met. Please stand next to me on one of the happiest days of my life."

"We mean it Van," Michael chimed in. "Even though my brother is an idiot, you've really been there for us all in your own way. And you make my woman happy as a clam knowing she has a real friend. And when Marcie is happy, so am I. You've been a sounding board for me as well. And I know if I ever needed you for anything you'd be there in a heartbeat."

Evangeline shook her head in disbelief. "Well, I don't really know what to say."

"That's a first," John said shifting in his chair uncomfortably, hoping to inject some light emotion in the Lifetime moment. Women, tears, and emotions all in the same room was a little out of his comfort zone. And Van would kick his ass if she heard him say that even if she knew it was true.

"Shut up," Evangeline said through her sniffles. She stood up and came over to Marcie. "I'd be even more honored to be your maid of honor.  Thank you, Marce. Movie hug?"

"Absolutely," Marcie replied laughing at their inside joke. They had spent a weekend watching chick flicks while boys went to a football game and made fun of the way characters in movies gave melodramatic hugs at the end of movies. She hugged Van tightly.

John rolled his eyes as he saw his brother's eyes well up at the sight of their girlfriends sharing a bonding moment. It wasn't too hypocritical since he knew how to keep his own euphoria under wraps. He had to in order to be able to tease Michael endlessly. "Ladies, I think Michaela here wants to join in the love fest. He needs a hanky too."

Laughter filled the room as the women dispersed and returned to their seats. The mood between the four people had shifted in that very moment and everyone could feel it. Marcie and Michael had no idea what had occurred between John and Evangeline just hours ago and each would speak to their corresponding buddy in due time, but the couple had noticed together and separately that there was indeed something different about John.  The moment had be confirmed when he raised a glass in the air and toasted too family while looking tenderly at Evangeline.

"To family!" they shouted in unison and began the easy banter again.

"Oh!" Marcie exclaimed, "I love this song. Turn it up a little please?" John's portable radio had been on a low buzz giving the lunch date a relaxed vibe. He complied and recognized the song.

Michael sucked in his breath as he heard the familiar beat and shared a bittersweet look with his brother. It was Brenna's favorite song and her outlook on life. They smiled knowingly and watched as Evangeline and Marcie started bouncing to the rhythm in their chairs singing beautifully as always.

We like our fun and we never fight

You can't dance and stay uptight

It's a supernatural delight

Everybody was dancing in the moonlight

We get everybody here is out of sight

They don't bark and they don't bite

They keep things loose they keep it tight

Everybody's dancing in the moonlight

Michael laughed as the Van and Marcie rocked out with their plastic spoons cum microphones and joined in with an air guitar on the chorus.

Dancing in the moonlight

Everybody's feeling warm and bright

It's such a fine and natural sight

Everybody's dancing in the moonlight

John watched, still firmly planted in his chair because someone had to remain the adult in the room, especially since his girlfriend has abandoned her sophistication to battle Michael's dorky air guitar. But even he couldn't resist bopping his head to the familiar melody and he couldn't help but think that maybe Mary Brenna was sending her own sign of approval in some weird way since he rarely ever heard this song being played on the radio.

It was comforting and even reassuring.

The wannabe rock group started dancing with Michael twirling the two women around, cracking up as they bumped into chairs. John shook his head as he saw his lover approaching him with a mischievous grin and beckoning finger. Marcie and Michael were swaying from side to side, so John knew where Van was headed.

"This is a place of solemnity, you know."

Van rolled her eyes. "Oh lighten up, one little dance! The door is closed. No one will ever know that you danced to a top 40 oldie. Until I tell Nora and Bo," she added jokingly.

The detective could not resist a chance to hold onto her persuasive hips even if it had to be PG. He grabbed her outstretched hand. "Nothing fancy," he warned as she led him to an open space on the floor.

"Right."

They began to sway gently to the beat and Michael let out a dramatic gasp in disbelief as he dipped Marcie. "Doth my eyes deceive me? Is that John "I Don't Dance" McBain? Vange, you got the magic touch for sure!"

The two couples traded barbs with one another and for the first time in a long time, John McBain felt happy and guilt free. It felt good to feel something other than the self-imposed monotony of work, sleepless nights, and remorse. 

And the woman in his arms had a lot to do with it and he would always be grateful. "I love you," he said softly in her neck.

Van pulled out of his grasp slightly and kissed him gently on the mouth, her smile lighting up the poorly lit office. "I love you too."

We get it on most every night

And when that moon is big and bright

It's a supernatural delight

Everybody's dancing in the moonlight

 

Dancing in the moonlight

Everybody's feeling warm and bright

It's such a fine and natural sight

Everybody's dancing in the moonlight

Outside of the detective's office, a figure backed away from the tiny crack in the door with tears streaming.






Chapter End Notes:

Before you head to the loo, take a minute to Review!







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.