Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Story Notes:

OMG! While I was editing "Unexpected Love" I hit the wrong button and deleted the whole thing! I can't believe it! I'll reupload the story asap! Sorry to all the wonderful people who read and commented, I'll be more careful next time!





Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


The rain beat her window as she looked out of it, peering down at the street below. She was looking at the rain trying to count as many raindrops as she could. She did not notice me looking at her from across the street. My window was directly across from hers. I stared at her brown skin; it looked as smooth as peanut butter and had a creaminess that resembled whipped butter. Marva Mallory was her name. She had been my neighbor for fifteen years.


He keeps staring at me. I wonder what he is thinking of. He always stares at me through his window. One time I caught him watching me get undressed. The next day on the school bus I asked him if he liked what he saw. He gave me a blank stare and turned his head away. I took that as a yes. Rick Collins is his name and he’s a loner. He doesn’t talk to anyone. I see him writing all the time so I guess he wants to be a writer. That fits him perfectly. Aren’t most writers loners?
------------------------------------------------

The next day as I walk to the bus stop I see Marva standing there. She is wearing a purple and yellow striped sweater, with a denim mini skirt. Her legs are long and toned and seem to compliment her outfit. I watch as she picks lint off her left purple sock. Her green Chuck Taylors are three weeks old so they still look new. Her buttery skin beam’s with light even on this dreary day.
For some reason I step outside myself when I say, “Hi”, to her. She stops picking the lint from her sock and looks up at me with deep brown eyes, “Hi, Rick”, she answers back. 
Surprised by my sudden boldness in speaking first and by the fact that she still remembers my name, I ask, “You know my name?”. 
“Of course I know your name. We’ve been neighbors since we were three.” 
“Right”, I say quietly. 
She holds my gaze then asks, “How many raindrops do you think I counted yesterday, Rick?” 
“One hundred. You always count to one hundred because that’s your favorite number”, I answer quickly. 
Marva face shows surprise, “How did you know that?”. 
I lower my head embarrassed, “One time I overheard you say that one hundred was your favorite number. I just assumed you would count the raindrops up to your favorite number”. 
“Oh”, says Marva, she looks around before she suddenly asks me, “Hey, you wanna sit next to me on the school bus?” 
“Sure”, I say.


As I board the bus I scope out a place for me and Rick to sit. I find two seats near the back of the bus. The perfect spot. 
“Hey, Marva. I’m lovin’ those Chucks”, says Ronnie Brimstone, flirtatiously. 
“Thanks, Ronnie”, I respond. Ronnie moved over in his seat to signal me to sit next him. But I walk past him. I was going to sit with someone new today. I usually sit next to Ronnie even though I hate it. He spends the entire bus ride trying to discreetly persuade me to be his girlfriend. I don’t want to be his girl at all! I know he’ll just use me as a plaything.
I keep walking to the back toward me and Rick’s seat, passing by friends and haters as I do. I finally plop my booty on the stiff leather and watch as Rick slowly walks toward the seat. He hangs his head and makes no eye contact with anyone. No one even cares to look at him. Everyone knows he’s pitiful and so do I. But I kind of like Rick. I do. He seems very sweet. There is something poetic about him that you don’t find in most boys. And I know he adores me, he’s always watching me. For goodness’s sake, he’s been watching me for as long as I can remember. When he sits down, he does so hesitantly. He looks up at me and smiles, his hazel eyes are thanking me, I can tell. We don’t talk for the entire bus ride; Rick isn’t much of a talker. Sometimes when I look up I see Ronnie looking at us in horror and anger. I know he’s jealous. He’s an ass; I could care less what he feels. We make it to school in about fifteen minutes. 
“On the way home we’ll sit in this seat again. Okay?”, I say as I throw my backpack on. 
“Okay”, Rick says quickly.


I am in disbelief I actually sat next to Marva Mallory on the school bus this morning. And then on the bus ride home we sat next to one another again. Neither of us spoke on either bus ride. I was too scared to say anything. What could I say? “Hey, Marva. Thanks for finally paying attention to me after all these years. I’ve been in love with you since I first saw you playing outside your house fifteen years ago.” She would probably look at me as if I was some kind of stalker. Sometimes I feel like her stalker though. I love watching her! Every move she makes is as fluid as running water. I can’t help but stop and watch as she walks around her window. Sometimes I see her dancing. I don’t think she takes any dance lessons but her graceful and punctual steps are as good as any ballerina I’ve ever seen. When I see her stretching in the morning I get tingly sensations all over my body. Her body is like a sculpture. She is a sculpture. God’s sculpture, one that has a soul .


“See ya tomorrow, Rick”, I say as he walks across the street to his house. 
“Bye”, he says quickly. He rushes into his house, shutting the door without looking back. I sigh and walk towards my front door. As I walk inside I see my pregnant mother sitting on the couch in our living room. She is busy knitting baby socks as she looks and smiles at me. 
“I saw you talking to little Ricky, shocked the hell outta me. You always acted like he never existed.” 
I roll my eyes, “Mom, Rick is eighteen, same as me. He is far from little. And besides I have always acknowledged him.” 
Now it was my mom’s turn to roll her eyes, “When have you ever 'acknowledged' him? Every time you see him you look right through him. Shame he’s such a nice boy and he’s been in love with you since you all were small. His Mom and I were just tickled at how smitten he was with you.”
I knew Mom was friends with Rick’s mom, Mrs. Debra. How their friendship never brought Rick and I closer together always puzzled both of them. But I was never as 'smitten' with Rick as he was with me. He was always so shy and introverted; the total opposite of me. I like to be around people more like myself; fun and outgoing.
“Mom I doubt he’s in love with me. Just infatuation is all it is. And I’m not surprised, I mean look at me! I am all That!” I laugh.
Mom couldn’t help but smile. “Girl, I’m through with you”, she said shaking her head. “Now go upstairs and clean your room. You may be all That, but your room sure isn’t”.


I know I looked like a complete idiot the way I practically ran into my house after me and Marva got off the bus. But I couldn’t help it. I was so afraid that I would say or do something stupid in front of her. Today was the most she has ever spoken to me. I am in a complete shock. She always ignores me, always. Even when I would come over to her house with my Mom. “Hey”, was all she would say and then go on about her business.
I can’t help but wonder why today she decided to sit next to me. Maybe she wanted to make Ronnie Brimstone angry. On the bus to school I noticed how he kept looking back at us. His face was red with anger and God knows I prayed he didn’t come back there and beat the hell out of me. I know he wants Marva to be his girl; he’s been trying since freshman year. But no matter how hard he tries Marva keeps refusing and I can’t help but feel good about that.
As I walk upstairs to my room, my Mom is coming downstairs carrying some laundry.
“Hey Rick, how was school?” 
“Pretty good”, I say. She stops and gives me a kiss on the cheek and then keeps on down the stairs. As I walk into my bedroom I throw my bag onto the floor and lay down on the bed. While I stare at the ceiling, I replay all the events that took place that day between me and Marva. I thought about her smile, her special fragrance, and the way her dark brown hair fell around her shoulders. God, she was beautiful. I would give anything to be with her. But I know she would never want me. Just because she displayed some kindness today, for whatever reason, I know she still looks at me as the weird boy from across the street.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.