Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The trouble with love is, It seems no matter what I do
It tears my heart in two... 




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 


December 4th 2000. Darling Point. Sydney, Australia.

Julian

 

He slammed the door and headed for his Mercedes. He's had enough!

Fuck it! Fuck her! Fuck this Goddamn country!

Why, oh why did he think it would be any different this time around?

I'm 33 years old, for fuck's sake.  Does she really think she can boss me around? !!

Fuck!

He truly had a love - hate relationship with Australia. And it all came down to his mother.

It was his home, but every time he was here, he felt like he couldn't be himself, he couldn't breathe.

Born and raised in Sydney, Julian was the typical prodigal son, the 1st and only son of Peter McCarty and Lady McCarty.

All hopes and expectations resting on his shoulders.

Some would consider this hazard of life as a blessing. For him, it was a curse!

His late Grandfather Michael McCarty had been the heir of an industrial empire back in the old country and moved to Australia with his young wife Sally in the hope of expending the family fortune in this new territory. It was the late 40's, the country was on an economic boom and every hope Michael had was fulfilled. His marital union only produced one child, Peter, but it was enough to perdure the family name and ensure descendants for the McCarty clan.

Peter was a shy child, always engrossed in his books, with little interest for the business, but as his growing years went by, with the best education and social circles money could provide, he developed a keen interest in politics, and by the age of 22 became the youngest elected member of the legislature.

His father, getting old made him aware of his only wish for the future: see his son get married, and produce children before he reached the grave.

Being of a shy and somewhat introverted nature, Peter didn't have a clue as to which woman would meet his father's demands, but he was resolute in finding her.

As fate would have it, one of his political mentors, George O'Brady had a daughter of marrying age. He introduced him to Helen, and Peter was smitten at first sight.

Helen who has had her social introduction in the previous year and had yet to find a potential husband, saw her chance, and decided she would become his wife.

Peter was a sweet, tempered, charming man, and he was a McCarty, which meant she could and would become the socialite she always wanted to be.

Being the daughter of a politician, she was savvy and used to a certain lifestyle, but she knew being Peter's wife would give her access to unlimited funds and increase her social profile to a new level. Of course, she would support any political ambition Peter had, but being his wife would be enough for her.

Within 3 years of marriage, Melissa and Julian were born. Within 7 years, Peter's party won the general federal elections, and he was sworn in as Prime minister of Australia.

A position that remained his until a few months before his death; some twenty odd years later.

Moving into Kirribilli House, the official Prime Minister residence was the start of Helen's life. She decided to send the children to boarding school, so she could finally focus on being the 1ere Dame of the country. Over the years, Peter's party kept being re-elected, Peter cementing his position of Prime minister at home and international figure abroad. While travelling all over the world with her husband, Helen became a fashion icon, a permanent fixture in the best circles, and all but forgot to be a mother to her children. Of course, she saw them during the school holidays but to say that their relationship was nurturing or loving would be an overstatement.

Melissa and Julian only had each other for moral support, and while their father did his very best to love his children when he saw them, it simply never replaced nor compensated the lack of maternal warmth and love.

His responsibility was to the country first.

Julian was particularly affected by his parents’ absence and kept getting into trouble years after years, school after school. His grades were fine- countless reports called him “an intelligent young man, but with restless tendencies “ making him the black sheep of the family while Melissa, though cynical in her wit when she examined their situation, had a calmer temperament.

By the age of 16 Melissa had decided she would study architecture and design in Europe, while Julian still 14 would finish school in Sydney.

Whatever Julian did, it would never be good enough for his mother. Realizing this at a very young age, as she would always compare him to her friend’s children, particularly Ethan McGregor, the son she wished he were; he grew tired of trying to get her attention by any wicked means he could think of, and swore to himself, he would leave home as soon as the first opportunity presented itself. He loved his father dearly as the man always showed interest in him and kindness when he was around, but he simply wouldn't bear to be around his mother more than necessary as the years went by.

Luckily, he didn't have to wait until he was of age for the fortunate break to occur. Having inherited the smarts of his father and grandfather, he was enrolled at Sydney law school at 17. While his best friend and nemesis Ethan McGregor involved himself in students’ politics, Julian decided to put his blessed dashing looks and an extravert personality to use. He was invited to all parties, including the undergrounds, and incidentally met a British scouting agent at one of them.

This was his ticket out. He convinced his father to allow him one year off studying, and promised that if he weren’t successful, he would obediently return home, go to university to obtain a degree, become a lawyer and take over the family business.

Fortunately he never had to find out if he would have made good on his word, as after landing in London, within 2 months, he was on the runway of Paris and Milan before heading to New York which would become his principal place of residence for the next 5 years when he wasn't working in Europe.

Life had been kind to Julian. With he newfound financial and emotional independence, he became the go to model after cementing a golden contract with Calvin Klein at 21. Women were available aplenty and he explored as many as he could. He didn't really know what being in love was, but the 1st time he was smitten long enough to have an actual relationship that lasted over 2 months, he thought love was it, and he married the girl in Vegas without even informing his family until the marriage had been consummated and reported in the newspapers.

Only then, He rang his parents informing them they had a daughter in law, she was a mildly famous pop singer, and that was all there was to it!

His mother was appalled, and for the umpteenth time in his life told him he was an embarrassment, and she wished he could be more like his best friend, his brother from another mother, his nemesis, her socialite best friend, Mary's son: Ethan McGregor.

“I simply don't understand where we went wrong with you Julian. You and Ethan, come from the same cloth, went to the same schools, grew up together, you are the son of the prime minister, which gives you something no one else has, yet, you don't see him half naked on posters...! He's destined to do great things. What are you...” her voice had trailed off.

“Goodbye mother.” he hanged up, and didn't speak to her until she called him 3 years later announcing his father was ill and demanded to see him.

In the meantime, his marriage has been a complete failure, and he was divorced 7 months later, at the ripe age of 23.

Not deterred by this little blip on his road to success, He used some of the money earned while modelling investing it in industries close to his heart. Having taught himself cooking while in Italy and enjoying it immensely, he bought his first restaurant. Within 18 months, 1 turned into 3, and within 5 years, it was a franchise with establishments in the hippest cities in the world, from Miami to Tokyo.

Sydney was the last one opening, so he came home as his father was dying, with the hope of reaching some sort of peace treaty with his mother.

He thought in light of his financial success, she would somehow show some pride in her son.

He was wrong. So, he left home once again, and orphan this time, even more determined to become more successful than what her narrow mind would allow.

He wasn't interested in politics, never had, and actually had severed all ties with the Sydney political circles after his last visit home because he found their members conservative, boring and predictable, and from the comments his mother made, there was no love lost on their side either. His former classmates despised him apparently. His choice of career making him a laughing stock. Even Ethan had somehow disappeared on him. Well truth was he was the one who ceased to call him as Ethan had always been like and older brother he couldn’t face disapproval or disappointment from. He had looked eternally amused by Julian latest antics.

Fuck them all!

He wanted excitement in his life, wasn't going to apologize for his wants, and being a politician was too limiting for him. Not to mention, why would he want to return to Australia when he was living in the most exciting city in the world; New York!

He had a good business mind, and decided to keep using it. His father having passed on, McCarty industries were his to manage if he wanted.

Now, here he was, back at home; only there to attend his sister wedding the next day and not even 10 hours within his arrival the arguing with his mother put him on the brink of packing it up.

He had landed late the previous night, and went straight to the proverbial family home. Waking up at 8 am, he met Melissa in the kitchen as she was pouring herself some coffee while his mother was on the phone- no doubt, he thought, with one of her snooty friends – having an animated conversation punctuated with ohhs and ahhs.

Upon ending the call, she looked at her only son and said, “Good morning Julian. We are glad, you could make it.”  “Mother,” was his curt reply. He sat, and poured himself some coffee, waiting.

It didn't take long. His mother smiled and said with pride in her voice, “Well, that was Mary on the phone. You'll never guess what! Ethan is getting married! To a lawyer no less! He proposed yesterday apparently...How exciting isn't it? You might want to follow....” She stated in a joyful tone.

He erupted.

“Mother you sound like a broken record. I am not Ethan, will never be Ethan and quite frankly do not give a flying fuck about Ethan getting married, or whatever else he's doing these days! I haven't seen or spoken to him in years, and wished you would let this go, but since you won't, I'll go for a drive....”

He kissed Melissa on the cheek and headed for the door.

I'll be on the 1st plane out after the ceremony, was his thought while violently slamming the door.

 






Chapter End Notes:

This is the last chapter for a while.

I enjoy constructive criticism, so comment.

xoxo.

D.







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.