Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Story Notes:

This may be the saddest story I've written so far.

Duke Harry of York

tinaDuchess Tina of York

 




Author's Chapter Notes:

If you haven't read the other books.. Get on it. 




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Duke Harry and Duchess Tina looked at their four children as they slept soundly. It was at these moments that Tina knew her struggle was worth it all; her children meant the world to her. Edward, Isaac, Diana and the new addition Alexander Alistar. Fatigue was an understatement to describe the royal couple. Traveling and leaving the children with sitters was something that never sat well with Duchess Tina.

The children grew bigger each day, except Diana. The triplets had developed their own personalitites at this point. Harry was still attached to the hip about Diana, and Tina was over trying to get him to balance the time. She was the only girl in the family and she understood Harry's love for her. Often times Harry would fall asleep with her ontop of him as he slept. She was his princess, 100%. He began to notice how the boys would always group up and leave her outside of the group- he needed to find her a companion and Tina had already said they weren't going to have anymore children. 

Harry thought long and hard about what he could possibly get for his princess. Then it clicked- a puppy. 

One morning as he was getting ready he picked up a sleeping Diana and kissed her while saying, "When Daddy returns.. He'll have your new best friend"

Tina was standing by the door in her nightgown. "You're getting her the dog today?"

"Yeah... Found a great pup. Little lab" Harry said kissing his wife on her cheek.

"She'll love it Daddy" Tina said kissing him. "Have a great day at work"

"I will" he said kissing Tina back and headed out the door.

When Tina stayed with the children the entire day she could tell when one child felt neglected or was having a bad day. But for some reason she could never figure out Diana, she always had this same smile on her face. Whether her bottle was too cold, too hot, she always had this distant disconnected smile to her face. She also was weaker than the other boys, including Alexander. Whenever the children all played together Diana would be the first to get out of breath the fastest. Tina began to worry about their daughter and shook it off thinking that Diana out of the three was born the smallest- it was probably normal. 

When she began her regular feeding schedule Diana wouldn't drink and cried witha discomfort that scared Tina. Tina carried Diana and began to coo in her ears and tried to figure out what was wrong with her daughter. The crying intensified as Tina would slowly shake her up and down. She began to sing softly to her daughter as she fell asleep. As she was sleeping on Tina's chest, Tina felt an abnormal hiccup in her breath as she inhaled. There was something wrong with her daughter. Diana had a hard time gaining weight and often had a cough. Tina's eyes began to water as she envisioned the worse and thought that she was just overreacting. 

Diana slept the rest of the time until Harry returned. Tina checked constantly to make sure their daughter was breathing in her sleep. They were only 3 years old and Tina was still a bit worried. Especially with Diana's speech problem, she had yet to go through her terrible two's and while her siblings were yapping away Diana always stayed quiet and winced almost as if in constant pain.

Tina felt her eyes water again as Harry opened the door with the family's new puppy. Harry dropped the dog as it waved its tail and Isaac, Edward and Alexander all ran around the puppy.

"Where's my princess" Harry asked giving Tina a kiss. "W have to name her Buddy.. Ah. Buddy? That's a cute name"

"She's been sleeping since 4." Tina said revealing a bit more emotion than she intended.

"You've been checking on her?" Harry asked walking towards her crib.

"Yes, I scheduled a doctors appointment. I think... there may be something wrong with her Harry" Tina said cupping her face.

"No no honey don't cry" Harry made his way over to Tina. "She's just.. a slow devolper.. Remember the doctor said one of the triplets would be.."

"Harry.. I wan't her to get tested for anything.. I just. This doesn't sit well with me." Tina said wiping her face picking up Isaac who found himself by her.

"We'll talk tonight.." Harry said picking up Edward and Alex. "Big Boys" he said to his sons.

After they put the kids to sleep Tina pulled out her iPad and researched symptoms that Diana seemed to show. She always coughed, often had bowel problems that caused her to cry throughout the night and shortness of breath. Harry slid into bed next to her and took the ipad from her kissing her forehead.

"Our baby is fine.." he reassured her.

"I pray..." Tina began to cry. "Harry what if-"

"No, there will be no what if's.. Diana is well" Harry said shutting off the light. He wrapped his arm around Tina kissed the back of her neck.

"Tina" he softly called.

"Yes, Harry"

"Even if there is" he swallowed hard. "We'll always be there for her.."

"We will" Tina said falling asleep.

The next day Harry didn't report to the office and instead stayed with his wife as the royal doctor came to visit Diana. Tina picked up Diana and entered into the infant room as they called it. 

"So what are we here for today Duchess Tina" the Dr. asked "Hopefully not another child"

"No, no" Tina said weakly laughing. "It's about Diana..."

"Alright. Let me have a look at her" the Dr. said picking her up. "She doesn't seem to have put on much pounds"

"I know.. And she's always out of breath, coughing, constipation." Tina spat out the fact rubbing the little bit of Diana's hair. 

"I'm going to run a genetic test on her..." the Dr. said getting very serious.

"OK" Harry said taking back Diana.

They sat her down as the doctor began to take DNA and she began to wail and cry.

"Shh my love" Harry cooed to her.

"Alright.. I've gotten enough. Tonight we will have the answers" the Dr. said getting up.

"Alright" Tina and Harry both said.

When the doctor left Tina and Harry walked back up to the nursery to find the nurses feeding the children. Buddy ran up to them wagging his tail and Diana shrieked as she saw the dog. Harry lowered her to the floor and watched as Buddy licked her feet and her face. Diana didn't seem to mind and sat on the floor as she weakly wrapped her arms around the puppy.

"That's your dog" Harry kept repeating.

"You spoil her" Tina said smiling.

"I spoil you too..." Harry winked.

Tina had to look the other way, after years of marriage Harry still knew how to make her bluch like a teenager and she loved it. 

The day consisted of training the puppy, watching the kids chase the poor dog around and Diana doing her usual cough attack. Tina held her tight through her attack and prayed silently to God. She felt Harry's eyes but she couldn't show him that she was worried about their daughter.

The night came and Tina was anxious to find out what was or wasn't going on with their beloved daughter. Harry placed the boys on the carpet as they played with Buddy and waited for the phone call. When the phone rang Harry grabbed the phone first.

"Hello" He said out of breath.

"Good afternoon Your Highness.." the Dr. began

"Good evening. Have you the results?" he said holding Tina's hand.

"Yes... and I'm afraid I have terrible news."

"Go on" Harry quietly said.

"Diana seems to be suffering from Cystic Fibrosis. It's a lung illness that is terminal I am afraid.. We give her no more than 30 years.." the Dr. said holding back his tears.

Harry dropped the phone in disbelief. The tears flowed freely as Tina held Diana in one arm and answered the phone.

"Hello?" Tina asked nervously.

"Yes.. Duchess Tina. I am afraid Diana suffers from Cystic Fibrosis.. It is terminal and we give her no more than 30 years."

Tina looked down at her sleeping daughter and said "Thank you".

Harry didn't move for what seemed like an eternity. Tina gathered the strength to put all the children to sleep and saw Harry's face in his hands and his red face.

"Harry- come to bed" Tina quietly pleaded.

"I'll.." Harry said but began to sob.

"Harry.." Tina sat down on his lap as he cried on her shoulder.

"Be strong for your daugther"Tina said grabbing his face. "Be there for her"

"I will" Harry quietly said. "I will" he repeated as he walked up the stairs. He peeked his head inside and watched as Diana coughed in her sleep as she slept. With every cough Harry winced and began to sob. Tina wrapped her arms around her husband and walked him  to their room.

"We have to be strong for her.." Tina said kissing Harry.

"I.." Harry began but was cut off by his emotions. "Her marriage, I just. She won't be able to do any of it"

"Shh. Honey." Tina began to cry.

Harry wiped Tina's tears and kissed her on the lips. "I love you" he said.

"I love you" Tina responded to him.

He moved her to the bed and slowly kissed her as he lowered her to the bed. As their heads rested on each others shoulders they began to sob. Harry longed for some sort of comfort and Tina seemed to understand exactly what he needed when she took off her blouse and pulled his body closer to her. Harry kissed her passionately as he made love to her. When they finished and laid there still intertwined Tina let a single tear fall from her eye as she remembered the night she was born. Harry held Tina throughout the night as she would burst into random crying sessions.

"Be strong for your daugther" he kept repeating to Tina.






Chapter End Notes:

 meet buddy the royal dog







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.