Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Long time no update...this one hit me out of nowhere...bear with me...hopefully the inspiration is back




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


The annual Ware retreat for promising staff members with a potential for management was a coveted affair. If a black linen envelope found its way to your chair in Mid March, you were equally privileged and despised. For the first time in fifteen years, Nita Floyd found one such greeting in her chair. She looked around before she snatched the paper up into her hands. She studied the parchment, inspecting it for a possible error in delivery. Surely this had not been meant for her. Then again, life was going better, Deja had not been suspended in two months, Jackson was slated to appear in a youth art show in a few weeks, and finally after years of perfecting the art of the being the neighborhood cat lady, Nita was dating. And now she was headed up the Blue Ridge Parkway to the Grove Park Inn.

 

The man in her life was a well kept secret. She wasn't ready to brag or bring the gentleman around her family. Things were going well. She was happy. She had someone in her who understood her dry wit and unexplainable need to watch old episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Freaks and Geeks. They shared a common bond over music and sci-fi films. He couldn't prepare a meal to save his life, but that was okay. She was fine with meals at their favorite dinners and soon she'd treat him to a dinner filled home cooked culinary delights. Most importantly, Mr. Perfect didn't judge her, he listened, and sometimes, more often than not, he gave great advice.

 

She tried not to giggle like a silly school girl and the appearance of Russ Ware Jr., helped prevent an all out laugh riot. Things had been tense in the office since their exchange. They kept their relationship professional. Although Jackson constantly asked about the man, she made no effort to arrange a reunion between the two haphazard friends. She nodded at the man and continued on her way to the coffee pot.

 

Unfortunately Russ had other plans, "Nita?"

 

Her steps faltered just a bit and she over-corrected and nearly fell off her heels, but he caught her, "Thank you." She didn't miss the scent of the fragrance she had grown to associate with his morning arrival, Aqua Di Gio and Caramel Latte from McDonalds'.

 

"Do you have a moment?" As single brow elevated as he pointed towards his office, "Can we speak in private?"

 

She followed him, refusing to take the seat across from him, "I prefer to stand."

 

Russ shook off his jacket and she could tell her words had stung. Part of her wanted him to extend an apology she didn't deserve. She had been the one in the wrong and she had yet to give him the words he longed to hear. Sorry went a long between co - workers, friends, and for some reason quirky, cute, short men needed to hear the words. She pushed the thoughts about his muscles under his tailored shirt from her mind and tried to focus on the conversation at hand.

 

"I wanted to know if you would have any objections to me attending Jackson's show in a few weeks." Nita's face betrayed her and Russ answered her unspoken question, "He sent me an email with the flyer."

 

The two had continued to converse. She couldn't be angry. Jackson's father was a non - existent part of his life and she had purposely kept her new friend hidden, "No," She stammered just a bit, "I meant sure...Jackson would like that...Ellis will be there to..."

 

Russ reclined in his chair, "Cool, tell your brother I said hello."

 

Nita nodded, waiting for the conversation to continue, but when his fingers began to pound the keyboard. She knew he had no intentions of prolonging their awkward exchange. She retreated to her desk forgetting about her original destination.

 

~`~

 

Russ took a deep breath and filled his lungs, as soon as Nita closed the door behind her. He failed miserably at what Nash had coined playing hardball. He reached for the phone on his desk and that's when he noticed the envelope taped to his screen...black linen...silver embossed lettering... great, one of his father's well intentioned developmental retreats. He groaned when he recalled Nita had a similar envelope clutched tightly in her hands.

 

He snatched the receiver from the cradle and punched the digits to his best friend's cell. He heard Nash curse, swear, curse, and swear. He didn't miss the sound of tires screeching. His friend was obviously trying to sneak a smoke, drink coffee, change the track on his CD, and drive with his knees.

 

Russ didn't even wait for his friend to acknowledge his presence on the other end, "One day you're going to fly off the Church Street Bridge."

 

Nash silenced his rant, "What do you want, I'm five minutes from the school, and two minutes away from being officially tardy."

 

He ignored his friend's woes, "Hardball didn't work."

 

Nash sighed, "Dude...really...you're calling me with this at eight o'clock in the morning?"

 

He pushed past his friend's amicable taunt, "I don't need your crap...you said..."

 

"I say a lot of shit," He heard Nash take a swig of his coffee, "Doesn't mean I'm right."

 

Russ was growing increasingly more frustrated, "What help are you?"

 

"If you listen to Clark...none," Russ heard the gears shift and he knew was closer to the school, "Look, I'm having my new friend over for dinner tonight, baby boy will be gone, ask this office space diva to come by," He considered the option, "You'll have me and Ms. Perfect as a buffer and maybe just maybe it will earn you a few brownie points."

 

The plan was actually good; Russ just had one condition, "No tacos...nachos...or anything from the Mexican cookbook Clark got you for Christmas."

 

"No worries, I'm not even cooking."

 

Nash disconnected the call and Russ was left to wonder how the best jack ass in the world could be so lucky.

 

He emerged from his office and headed towards the bank of desks where Nita was seated. He channeled his inner strength with each step and by the time he reached her chair, he blurted his question for most of the office to hear, "Have dinner with me."

 

Nita's smile was sweet and sincere but her words cut like a knife, "Sorry, I have other plans."

 

Russ Ware Jr. couldn't win for trying.

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.