Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


A shiny black vintage Rolls Royce pulled into the Bennett driveway shortly after Bonnie had wiped the stray tears from her eyes. At first sight she couldn't help but wonder if the vehicle had been hidden in the massive garage behind the Salvatore home. She pushed the rogue thoughts from her mind and studied Jeremy's trembling form as he made his way to the door. Her father was polite, patting her date on the shoulder, and teasing him about what he considered acceptable behavior and the expected time he should return his daughter to the front door. The youngest Gilbert took it all in stride, rolling with every punch Bonnie's father leveled, until he saw her descend the stairs. His breath caught in his throat and he eased from the spot where he'd been happily chatting with Mr. Bennett.

His mouth opened and no words followed.

"Pick your mouth up off the floor Gilbert."

Bonnie leaned in and placed a soft kiss against his lips. Her fingers lingered in the lapels of his jacket, they brushed the silk square in his pocket, and finally drifted to the freshly cut layers of his hair. His eyes were stretched with in awe and lust. The realization made her feel...well...wonderful. She grazed his lips again before her father's watchful eye threatened to brand her skin. Finally the escaped the Bennett stronghold and slid into their seat across from Stefan and Elena.

The other Salvatore scrutinized her ensemble; a knowing smile curved his lips and Bonnie aimed an imaginary dagger at the left side of his head. He clutched his temple with one hand and raised the other in surrender. The exchange went unnoticed by Elena and Jeremy. The siblings separated from their dates once they reached the restaurant; Jeremy to check for Caroline and Matt, Elena to sneak to the bathroom for a hair and make up check.

"You look amazing Bla..." Stefan snapped his fingers, suppressing a laugh, "I mean Bonnie."

She stared off into the distance unsure of how to respond to his smart assed statement. He took her silence as permission to continue his friendly taunting.

"Damon..."

Something inside of Bonnie snapped, she turned to meet Stefan's humor filled gray eyes, "Not tonight Stefan, you don't get to play both sides of the fence tonight." She knew Elena and Jeremy were close so she had to make her point quickly and as clear as possible, "I know you told him he was no good for me. I know you condemned his attachment to me, don't you dare stand here and act like this is some kind of game."

Bonnie could hear Elena's heels on the marble tiles even as Stefan's words pierced her heart.

"Thirty seconds ago I thought it was game and now I know you love him just as much as he loves you."

Bonnie's eyes met Stefan's, "Love isn't always enough - you know that."


The impromptu, no holds barred conversation with Stefan plagued Bonnie throughout dinner. Not that foie gras was her favorite delicacy to begin with, but like her father, the youngest Salvatore had forced her to confront bitter truths she'd avoided for far too long. She picked at the food on her plate, ignored her friends attempts to engage her in the conversation. She didn't even notice Jeremy's departure from dinner until he returned with a greasy bag that reeked of onions and spices that promised a highly edible chili cheeseburger awaited Bonnie's lips.

Tentatively she reached for the bag, surprised by the tears that sprung to the corners of her eyes. No one was perfect, but Jeremy made it damn near impossible for her to believe that when he continuously went above and beyond his call of duty as her high school boyfriend. It was a no brainer when she slid the wrapper from the bag and split the burger in half and dropped a portion on his plate.

When her eyes drifted across the table she found understanding in Stefan's gaze. He nodded his head and smiled before picking up Elena's hand and placing a kiss in the center of the girl's palm.

Yes Bonnie Bennett loved Damon Salvatore.

If she were honest, it started the moment his fangs tore into the side of her neck, anger was a mask that disguised the vulnerability that came with her true feelings. He was a complicated mess of contradictions; an idiot who slept with anything that opened their legs for him while professing his love for one girl. He was the anti-hero who just couldn't stop saving people no matter how hard he tried. The challenger who told her she was useless as a witch and then cheered her on with every new spell she conquered.

Then they became friends, late night conversations over plates of saucy homemade goodness and episodes of her favorite show. She loved him and he loved her, but Damon still didn't love Damon. As long as he felt like he was never good enough, he would continue to make his undead existence miserable, and she couldn't and wouldn't be a part of his insanity.

Her love for him just wasn't enough.

Bonnie wanted more...

Damon needed more...


As soon as Bonnie stepped into the ballroom, she felt like a princess. Her dress brushed lightly against the back of her legs. The heels on her feet felt oddly comfortable and perfectly sized from toe to heel. She melted when Jeremy's arm wrapped around her waist and he pulled her flush into his chest. His heart was beating rapidly, mirroring the rhythm of her heart; it was perfection.

When Bonnie turned to face Jeremy, the ordeals of the past year melted into oblivion. He was her safe haven, the place where she could release and breathe. She never had to worry about doing everything right, he didn't want well versed lines in a spell or the composure of a woman who was confident in her gift. He simply wanted the girl with the green eyes that made him smile. Her spirit was flooded with happiness and light when they touched, she cherished the memories that his presence brought to remembrance; fresh pies made by her Gram's hands, her mother's smile, and a time that was simpler before she knew about the full moon's child and cold skin prisoners held captive by their cravings for blood.

"I love you."

Bonnie had spoken the words before, but there was a difference in her tone as she relayed their meaning. She placed one hand in the center of his chest and allowed everything that remained unsaid to flow from her to him. The things that were too difficult to say, the facts she was still unwilling to face. She revealed it all, even the piece of her heart that would always belong to another man. Out of fear Bonnie kept her head low, uncertain of what she would see when she finally looked in Jeremy's eyes. She was surprised when his finger lifted her chin and she found that same look, the one that always melted her to core.

Jeremy's kiss was a promise, one that she knew they were too young to make, but she accepted it anyway.

The mood shifted when Damon's presence registered with the young witch. Strengthened by the moment of honesty that had just transpired, Bonnie gave Jeremy's hand a squeeze and moved towards the dark corner the vampire inhabited.

Images of days gone by flew across her mind, the night around the fire when she realized Damon wore his heart on his sleeve. The strategic methods he employed to learn her middle name, and the last day they spent picking out the dress that swished with every step she took.

Thirty seconds passed as she walked from the edge of the dance floor to Damon's perch on the wall, Bonnie's steps faltered, her heart sank, and more than once she considered running for the door. Damon's eyes were focused on the spot where Jeremy still stood. She waited for their battle of wills to end before attempting to steal the eldest Salvatore's attention.

"Are you ready?"

Damon's question caught Bonnie off guard. His hand extended in her direction and she shied away from the potential of physical contact.

"Damon..."

She hated the way her voice sounded, like some love torn, dumb CW teen-aged girl.

"Let's go...now judgy little hottie."

Her voice was firmer, steadier, "I can't."

For a brief second she saw it, disappointment, heart break...

"It's not enough...I love..."

"Save it Bennett, I told you before, you're just like the rest."

Without another word, Damon Salvatore walked out of Bonnie Bennett's life for the last time.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.