Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Again I say it...if you haven't read Mixed Signals...you'll be lost...I'm referring to events from that story but also weaving in some details that didn't appear there...let's do it...




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Bonnie Bennett could define physics, it was the natural study of matter and its motion through space...time, along with the related concepts of energy and force. To keep it simple, physics was magic. She of all people should have been a master of the class, but when she stood at the sound of the final bell before lunch, she knew, Ben & Jerrys were waiting at home even if the depression didn't cripple her for a week like it had before. She took a deep breath, gathered her things, and headed for the door. She was caught off guard by the bubbly blonde who wrapped her in a crushing hug and nearly lifted her off the ground.

 

"Care Bear," She cried when her feet finally touched the floor, "Please don't do that again."

 

There were tears in her friend's eyes and fresh blood rushing to her cheeks. Arms wrapped around her yet again and she felt the thunderous beat of the head cheerleader's heart, "Happy Birthday Bonnie."

 

She pulled back from the embrace, "Is this the same girl who tossed a card at me last year."

 

Caroline shook her curls, "Bonnie, seriously, this is sixteen, the year of the car," She elevated a brow; "Father of the year did pull through didn't he?" Bonnie nodded in the affirmative and she continued, "The loss of virginity," Bonnie cringed, "With someone other than Tyler ‘Asshat' Lockwood." Caroline entwined their arms, "It's a year of possibilities, there's change on the horizon I can feel it."

 

She had missed this, the Caroline Forbes who bubbled over with possibilities and opportunities, "Right now I need a tutor and pizza with some ranch dressing."

 

Nazi Forbes appeared, "No carbs and definitely no fat, we have a game Friday night and I don't need you bloated in your cheerleading uniform."

 

Bonnie tried to groan but the sound was lost in her throat when the unfamiliar image of a lackluster Elena Gilbert came into view. She sat alone at their requisite table, pushing around the food on her plate, as she pretended to eat. Bonnie had forgotten how affected the girl had been by her parents' untimely death and her survival. Beside her was the journal containing her constant unspoken thoughts, under her eyes were the bags - a testament to nights without sleep, and on her face was a feigned smile she wore just for her friends.

 

"I just want her to be happy." It was an absent thought that crossed her mind. She took a few steps and quickly joined her friend, "Hey E."

 

The girl's eyes brightened just a bit, "Happy Birthday Bonnie." Her voice was hoarse from the hours she had spent screaming out from unwelcomed nightmares, "Show me the keys."

 

Bonnie held the key ring up for both girls to see and it was the first time she became conscious of the brass triquetra that held her keys. Magic was in her DNA and there was no way to escape it.

 

"So what are your big plans?" Bonnie accepted the offering of Caroline's celery stick and peanut butter, "Dinner, speeding on the highway in the new car, or a big date....someone said they saw you talking to a hottie in the hallway earlier."

 

Damon and Bonnie were already screwing up the timeline, "No hottie...just some kid's big brother looking for the guidance office." She explained away her indiscretion with a sliver of truth.

 

"Not the way I heard it," This is where Caroline easily terrorized Bonnie's nerves of steel, "Tiki said..."

 

Bonnie stole another celery stick, "Consider the source Caroline, just a lost brother trying to register a hopeful new piece of eye candy to add to our school's meager offerings."

 

The blonde grabbed her head, "Enough with the SAT prep words already B," Caroline's gaze traveled around the cafeteria until her sights landed on the specimen who held her interest, "I think we have plenty to offer already."

 

Why Noah...why couldn't you return mommy to the years after graduation when we weren't swapping exes like clothing.

 

Elena cleared her throat, "I'm going to head to history class."

 

Bonnie jumped up. "I'll come with." She smiled at Caroline later, "I expect a night off from this torturous diet since it's my birthday."

 

Caroline wrinkled her nose, "I expect my friend who used O-M-G religiously to return to her senses tomorrow and stops with the nonsense that is the SAT."

 

Bonnie rushed to catch up with her other best friend, "Elena wait..." The girl slowed her steps grudgingly. When Bonnie fell into stride beside her so began to gently interrogate the eldest Gilbert, "How you doing?" She knew the answer to the question already, just like she knew it was only the tip of the iceberg for the pain headed her way. Maybe Noah's attempt to save her could also help Bonnie erase some of the torture life bestowed on those closest to her.

 

Caroline was alive and breathing. She had images of blonde haired, blue eyed babies playing on loop in her brain. As much as the witch adored the vamp and hybrid from her future, she knew Caroline would forever live with regrets. This was a chance to end those shoulda, coulda, woulda moments.

 

Elena was a shell of the girl she had grown up with and the back and forth she endured in the years between Stefan and Damon did little to repair the damage life had already delivered. She grabbed her friend's hand and pulled her into a deserted corner of the hall, "I need you to listen to me." The brunette studied her face and half acknowledged her statement, "Soon you'll meet someone who will seem like he's the answer to all of your prayers, but I need you to think, I need you to be smart," She paused, "I need you to be careful." The girl opened her mouth to speak, "Just listen," Bonnie took a breath and continued, "I've been having these really intense dreams and Grams says they're an omen, be careful E...be smart...take care..."

 

Before another word could leave her lips, Bonnie same him, Stefan Salvatore emerged from the main office and headed straight for them. Her warning was too little, too late; when she saw the beginnings of a new crush begin between her friend and the man ultimately responsible for the death and darkness that would surround them in years to come.

           

 

 

 

 

 

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.