Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter 1 Look where your going

Nyla Rogers was hauling ass, she was minutes away from being late for her group grief counseling session. It was the only consistent appointment she kept without fail since trying to piece her life back together after the accident. It wasn't fun but it was helping her adjust to the new version of her life. Through the sessions she had made friends to replace the ones she had lost when her depression had left incapable of human interaction. The group members understood her pain because they to had experienced loss, but most importantly they didn't pity her. That look she couldn't stomach, it set her on edge and immediately brought her back to the first days after her husband and daughter died. Pushing the button to open the automated door to the McKeogh grief and trauma center she ran through the partially open doors careful not to spill her mocha iced latte while holding the bag of assorted pastries and box of coffee . Slipping through the partially opened doors she collided into a strong,wide chest; looking up into a pair of startled blue eyes. His thick brows knitted in concern while his full strong mouth quirked into a cross between a smile and a grimace. She was pressed rather intimately against him as his arms wrapped around her catching her before she fell, however no good deed goes unpunished because the jostling caused most of the contents of her drink to be transferred to his white lab coat.
"Ohh my god,Im so sorry ...I am not normally this clumsy. Please let me clean this up "
" Its ok but if you could at least buy me dinner, before you fondle me like that."
That's when Nyla noticed she had been wiping the strangers wet chest with the napkin she had holding her beverage, snatching her hand away quickly her face flamed with embarrassment. She was sure grateful that they wrapped the napkin around the chilled beverage because his chest felt wonderful under her fingertips. He was so hard and she could feel his warmth despite the chill of the beverage. His nearness was making her flustered.
"I am so..."
He cut her off "sorry I know you said that already. Don't worry about it it's a lab coat but you might want slow down there this is a hospital not a raceway."
Well Nyla was never one to take being scolded so immediately she became defensive "it was an accident! I feel really badly but I do have to go because now I'm late. Listen here is my card please send me the bill"and with that she was off.

Gavin McKeogh eyed the card that his beautiful but clumsy stranger handed him. Most people didn't offer to pay for anything for him not that he expected it. He was from one of the most wealthy and influential family's on the east coast. The very wing he stood in was named after his deceased sister. He couldn't shake the way holding her felt. It felt right like she belonged there,however she was just a beautiful stranger and he, was no stranger to beautiful women but this one with her deep toffee colored skin, slightly slanted almond shaped eyes that were a rich brown in color caught him off guard.Her hair smelled like strawberries and looked just as soft. Small crinkly pieces cascading down her shoulders, he had never seen a style like that but it was still pretty. Sadly ,He didn't really get a chance to see her body but the full soft breasts that were pressed against him and small waist that he easily encompassed were enough to pique his interest. He hadn't the forethought to ask or pay attention to what counseling room she had walked into suddenly he smiled remembering he did have her card. She was a graphic designer,for some reason his interest was awakened and he knew he would check out her work later, maybe she could do some work for the hospital gala fundraiser in a few months,that would give him a reason to talk to her.

Three days later

Nyla knew that her phone was in the abyss she called her handbag but it eluded her and taunted her with its incessant ringing. "aha I got you you bugger" .
"Wow first you spill coffee on me then you cuss me out over the phone. You might wanna work on your people skills" a sexy, deep timbered voice answered back.

"Shit I didn't know any one was on the phone, I didn't even press the talk button yet. these touch screens are so freakin sensitive. Who is this? She sputtered
"gavin"
Oh... Did Martha give you my number, I know she means well but I'm not interested."she said breathlessly.
"breathe. Martha did not give me your number ,you did "
"No, I'm pretty sure i didn't"
"You spill coffee on me and lay pastries at my feet for penance or is that something that happens all the time. "
She laughed "Yes,yes I remember you. I'm really glad you called I wanted to make it up to you"
"Actually I was hoping you would say that.How about dinner?"
"Ohh I was thinking along the lines of buying you a new lab coat and shirt "
"Well, I will definitely appreciate those gifts when I pick you up" he said cockily.
" I don't think so." She replied quickly
"damn your rough on a mans ego , you could pretend to think about it" he said sarcastically.
"trust me it's not you I'm not good company "
" don't worry about it I am entertaining enough for the both of us."
"ok. But not dinner. How about coffee."She sighed
"are you free on Saturday morning. I have rounds so we can have an brunch if that makes you more comfortable." now Gavin was sure that something was amiss with this entire conversation. Firstly, he didn't give concessions,women normally vied for his attention. Maybe she would too once she found out his last name.
"Saturday is good. Is 10 too early."
"Can we make it 10:30 I have some errands to run and I don't want to cut it too close"
"that sounds good. Ok well I have your number on me caller Id . You can call me later in the week to confirm the details." she replied a bit dryly.
"will do see you Saturday . Bye"
"bye" long after he'd hung up the phone Nyla stood rooted on the spot damn near drenched in perspiration. She had a date.
Shit ! I haven't had a date in 3 years and worse it had been over 6 since she had been out with a man other than Greg.
Nyla was starting to fret and soon that would snowball into a panic attack. She really wanted to discuss her burgeoning feelings with Dr.Shroder, her therapist. She had been seeing her for over a year and definitely noticed the improvement in her outlook on her future as well as coping with the guilt of the accident. Nyla knew her normal appoint ment was for Wednesday morning but maybe she could squeeze her in. To most 28 year old women the butterflies she felt when talking to him or her increase in heart rate when he held her close so she didn't fall would be normal, but Nyla hadn't had a reaction to anyone male or female in years. "this is ridiculous of course I am having a reaction to him I haven't gotten laid on almost 2 years" she mused aloud. She was happy, thinking Dr.Shroder may consider this a breakthrough .
The week was speeding by and Nyla was becoming more apprehensive about the
Possibility of having a date with Gavin ,granted he had not called to confirm yet so in all likelihood she was working herself up for nothing but what if he did call? Should she discuss her deceased family. What if he asked about her past she hard discussing her former life. Her mother hated that she sSpoke about her life in two part pre and post accident. However Nyla wasn't sure there was any other way.


Nyla stared at the computer screen again annoyed that her thought had again strayed to Gavin. She was not looking for a relationship but hated how flustered she became jut thinking about him.The clumsy uncoordinated Nyla was going to take a hike. Her appointment with Dr. Shroder was not nearly as informative as she thought it would be. Basically her getting through the date without reverting to negative habits that she had formed as a coping mechanism would prove how far she had come in her healing. It was those same dangerous behaviors that caused her to initially seek out help.
Thursday evening as Nyla started seasoned her salmon for dinner her cell phone rang,quickly wiping off her raw hands she grabbed for the phone and answered." Hello"
" hi, it's me Gavin. Are we still on for Saturday morning ? "
"yes,absolutely" she said excitedly
"Can you text me your address so I can pick you up"
"where are we going by the way"
"I was thinking the Waverly . They have a nice brunch setup, by the way do you have any food allergies I should know about"
"Oh... The Waverly ... Ok. She said hesitantly.
"is something wrong with that Restaurant the chef is word renowned. "
"Im quite familiar with chef Gustavo, the Waverly is fine and I'll text you my info in a few, see you Saturday ."
Gavin was thrilled in the positive change in her demeanor regarding their date .


Saturday morning came way too quick as far as Nyla was concerned, the apprehension that she had felt all week was a fever pitch now that her date was an hour away. Eyeing her outfit, slim tapered black pants with a fitted cardigan set and leopard print peep toe heels. A small smile crept up as she remembered Gavin's call to schedule the date. She had been so nervous she could barely pick up the phone. He even asked about food allergies. She thought it was nerdy and cute.

The sound of birds chirping brought her out of her thoughts as she realized that her doorbell was ringing.
She hated the sound of a traditional doorbell since that night, she knew it was irrational but it didn't matter the sound triggered nasty flashbacks. Taking a deep breath she walked over and opened the door.
Wow she thought as she noticed how the blue Oxford shirt stretched across his chest,even in clothing she could tell he was fit. The charcoal grey chinos fit him just right. Finally looking at his face she was taken aback at how blue his eyes were,the color was brought out even more with his matching shirt. He smiled and gave her a bouquet of wildflowers and she could barely pay attention to them she was so caught in his smile,displaying even white teeth and dimples.

He was vaguely aware of the ridiculous picture he presented openly gawking at this woman with a goofy smile on his face and outstretched hand enclosing the bouquet
But he had convinced himself he had exaggerated how beautiful she was. Her hair was pulled back away from her face in a clip, she had very little makeup on and she looked amazing. Her slightly slanted eyes were bright and he noticed her perfectly pert nose had a little dot as if she had once had it pierced. Her lips had a nude lip gloss that he wanted to kiss bare,her cardigan set was modest but did nothing to hide her generous assets. The slacks she had on we're fitted without being slutty and showed off her wide hips and long legs,lastly he noticed her shoes and smiled ...leopard print stilettos ...jackpot she was a freak.

They both realized that none of them had spoken, and then they both started to exchanged pleasantries
"hi so you found the place without too much trouble".
"yeah it was pretty easy to get to"
" oh I'll take these, their very pretty thank you" as she took the flowers from his outstretched hand.
"not as pretty as you are" he knew it was lame but it shot out of his mouth before he could stop it. To his surprise she blushed, with her toffee coloring he noticed the red flush across her cheeks and neck. She dressed very well and had an air of sophistication to her that wasn't laced with snobbery, he found it sweet that she blushed at such a simple compliment.
"please come in while I get my purse. Do you want anything to drink?"
"no I'm good" he said as he walked around her living room,it was decorated similar to a shore house with white washed furniture and soothing aqua colors giving it somewhat of a beachy feel. It was nice just unexpected, he decided as he picked up a starfish bookend . She walked out as he put down the chachki .
"ready" she said
"yep lets go"





Chapter End Notes:

Iapologize in advance for the grammar and spelling errors. I am writing on an ipad and it is very cumbersome.







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.