Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


I really need new mascara.

Bonnie swept the brush across her lashes again. At least her Friday night assignment with the pack involved dressing up.
It was Peter Hale's idea to scout out the nightclub, and she frowned slightly at the memory. His face wasn't easy to read, but she could've sworn his expression flickered slightly when she'd offered to help.

"Why aren't you dressed yet?"

She rolled her eyes at the werewolf looming at her bathroom door. "Relax. We're not supposed to meet everyone there for almost an hour."

Derek lingered, characteristically silent, until she stopped applying the mascara, "What?"

He cleared his throat, "I uh need...my..that."

His gesture at the toothbrush on the sink.

While handing it back her gaze travelled up his arm to his face, and she noticed his ensemble for the first time: a well fitted dark-green shirt that made the vivid color of his eyes glisten. Her tiny bathroom felt even smaller, encompassed by his quiet, unwavering presence.

"Nice shirt," she managed lightly, "It's a good color on you, should wear it more often."

He took the brush from her and glanced away, muttering "It's what I had clean."

She couldn't resist. "You mean you didn't have the pack come over and help you decide?"

The alpha frowned. Bonnie grazed his arm lightly. "Oh relax Derek it was a joke. J-o-k-e. Happens sometimes."

She bit back a giggle as he stalked off.


 

The club was suitably busy for a Friday and Derek felt immediately on edge. There were too many people and too much swirling noise. Too many things could go wrong.

The werewolf shifted his weight and leaned against the wall, scanning the room, sifting through the layers of sound.

Where is this guy? If Peter's lying to me...

They were supposed to be watching for the club owner David Ryder. According to Peter he had information about the danger they'd all been sensing, information he'd be reluctant to part with.

Erica and Bonnie were making the rounds, and he'd positioned himself, Isaac and Boyd close to all the doors. If Ryder showed up, one of them would spot him.

A familiar laugh filtered through the din and he swiveled his sharp gaze. Bonnie and Erica were dancing, and enjoying themselves too damn much for alertness in his opinion.

They'd insisted though. "Derek if this guy's smart he's gonna notice all of us skulking around," Bonnie declared, then crinkled her nose at him in a puzzling way, "Don't worry, Erica and I'll take the floor." Then she'd sauntered off with the blonde, laughing about God only knew what.

Bonnie looked at ease and graceful in her silky green dress, a swathe of black lace at her thighs. It snaked around her hips and waist and across her shoulders, drawing his eye in all kinds of distracting ways.

He began to notice little things. The way she used the subtle movement of tossing her hair to keep a constant gauge of her periphery. How her body undulated without losing it's balance or alertness.

Watching her was fascinating, enthralling.

Dangerous.

He saw Erica tap Bonnie lightly on the shoulder and they shared a nod. The witch cut easily towards him through the crowd, sleek and glimmering like a fish.

She didn't halt until she was almost flush against him, her hand on his chest. She smiled but her eyes were serious.

Light fingers on his lips stopped the question as she swayed against him with a casual grace in perfect sync with their environment. He could feel the crush of her breasts beneath the silk and hear her heartbeat picking up speed.

"Don't look now," her whisper danced across his ear, "But I think our man's here. Twelve o'clock."

Derek brushed his knuckles down her side and heard her take a sharp breath, the pulse in her throat fluttering like a bird. Then he flattened his palm against her waist and turned her easily so he was facing the opposite direction.

The silk was warm from her skin and invitingly slick against his hand, her heartbeat a lush tremor against his senses.

Focus goddamit.

Derek spotted the pale, grey-eyed figure at almost the same moment Bonnie's hand tightened insistently on his shirt. He looked down and saw her eyes wide with alarm.

"Derek, something's wrong. I can feel it."


 

Everything happened at once. Bonnie caught Ryder's gaze like a flash of steel and felt the wave of energy coming before she extended her hands.

The stance Maya taught her helped absorb the malevolent force into her palms, but the sheer power crashed through them like a wave, hurtling them backwards.

She landed on on her side, disoriented. A few screams battered against the pounding music. She smelled smoke.

It's a trap.

"Derek!" she struggled to her feet as serpentine flames raced through the room.

The alpha turned to her with a snarl, eyes crimson and fangs bared.

Bonnie grabbed his arm, "Get the pack and get out. I'll hold him off.'

Ryder shot a tongue of fire at them and Bonnie barely managed to deflect it. His powers were sharp and focused, terrifyingly fierce. Just like my dream. Except the flames were orange instead of violet.

The dance-floor was a stampede.

"Get out of here, Bonnie. I can take him." Derek shouted.

"No!" she grabbed his arm and wolf-red eyes blazed at her, "He's got us trapped can't you see?" she was yelling over the roar of flames.

Ryder advanced slowly through the fire and directed another blast of energy at them. This time Derek leaped in front of her and the blast pushed him violently into the wall. The wolf leapt back to his feet instantly, snarling.

Bonnie braced herself and whispered the incantation, focusing on the fire until columns leapt in front of Ryder, separating him from Derek. Again she felt his knife-like eyes and the cold unyielding purpose directing his energy.

She looked around wildly until she saw it. The fire alarm. A quick blast of magic shattered the glass, setting off the sprinklers.

"Derek! Erica!" she screamed vainly, struggling to avoid getting knocked down by the rushing crowd.

She searched for Ryder, feeling for his encroaching power.

But he was gone.


 

Derek looked up when Maya stepped in from the patio alone. She'd been talking with Bonnie for almost two hours.

"Where's your pack, ?" she slid languidly into her coat.

"I sent them home. There's nothing else we can do tonight."

The older witch assessed him coolly, "You should keep them close. You'll need them for what's coming."

Derek frowned.

She paused at the door, resting her flawless red nails on the handle. "Keep Bonnie close too. She's more important than you realize."

He stared at the door long after it closed before realizing Bonnie was still on the patio. Derek found her wrapped in a coat, staring at the sky.

"Thanks... for your help." he walked up slowly.

Bonnie faced him, "Is that a thank you from Derek Hale? Should I call the news?"

Her smile was distracting. Everything about her was becoming far too distracting.

Just like that her face grew serious, "Derek, whoever this Ryder is, he's one of the most powerful witches I've faced. You'll need my help."

His grip on the rail tightened, "I don't need anyone's help. No, listen-," he insisted, seeing the flash in her eyes, "I won't let you risk your life."

Don't ask me to explain Bonnie.

"I don't get it. You let your pack help you, Boyd and Erica are strong but they're still new to all this. I've been a witch much longer than-,"

"That's different. Werewolves live in packs, we survive in packs. It's our nature, and the pack knows that. There's no good reason for you to get involved."

Her jaw set, "And what if I want to help you, despite the danger?"

Derek searched her face, sensing the sudden rush of her heartbeat. It wasn't fear, or lying, that made it race.

He wanted to run, forget he'd ever seen her, forget how she smelled and how her body moved under clinging silk and the way she was looking at him right now.

He wanted to touch her and see how much faster that heart could beat.

Bonnie reached a tentative hand to his face, lightly grazing her fingers on his stubble. She was so close he could sense the warmth of her breath. There was the slightest tremor in her fingertips. Anticipation.

A breeze stirred her hair like a temptation and his eyes fell to her lips. Suddenly everything he wanted to say, all the arguments for why he should just walk the fuck away slammed headlong into the violent desire to taste her.

Derek swallowed a growl of frustration.

"You should get some sleep."

Bonnie bit her lip, dropping her hand instantly. "Yea. Goodnight, Derek." she turned on her heel, leaving him alone on the patio.

Fuck. What just happened?

Thwarted desire licked at him like flames. Derek tasted ashes in his mouth.

 


 

 






Chapter End Notes:

R&R if you can dear readers. Thank you to everyone who's left reviews and to everyone who continues to support this story. Your comments and your readership are very, very appreciated. xoxox







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.