Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer


- Text Size +
Story Notes:

They didn't call it a challenge for nothing.  I've been battling writer's block.  So this might be just what the doctor ordered.  Hope you enjoy.  As always, feedback is much appreciated.  Thanks for reading.

© 2013 Joelle Jax

 

 

I post exclusively to Valent Chamber.  Any posting of my stories to other sites is unauthorized and an infringement of my copyrights.  If you see this occurring, please alert me to it at joellejax@yahoo.com.  Thanks, J. Jax

 





Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

 

I stood alone in the dark, my car’s rear blinkers bathing my white dress in red flashing light.  The sky was clear; the air crisp.  Still, my cell had no service.  I sighed and accepted what fate had warned two hours prior:  I could depend on no one and nothing.

I looked south, down a half mile stretch of road that ended on the dark horizon; then north, up several miles of blacktop I’d already traveled.  Signs near the cluster of gas stations I’d passed three miles back indicated the next rest stop was fifteen miles south.  I had a choice; go north into the nearer and the familiar; or head south into a distant unknown.  I chose to go south—to move forward; because I sure as hell couldn’t go back.

Heels clicking across the pebbled asphalt, train collecting dirt and debris as it dragged along the ground, I walked as if on an evening stroll.  I was in no hurry to get back to civilization.  There was nothing civilized about what had happened to me, and what was yet to come; the relentless questions and continuous chatter over what brought about the end of something so promising.  And I would have to answer knowing that no explanation I gave or received would ever be enough to make that wrong right.

I moved up the hill to where the road dipped to depths unknown, hoping it might offer a fall I wouldn’t survive.  Immersed in anguish and thought, I didn’t notice the figure that appeared on the horizon only a few yards ahead.   

The moon cast a radiant light around what I surmised was a man, but failed to reveal his features.  As he moved towards me, I realized I enjoyed no such anonymity.  I stood frozen in curiosity; but, strangely enough, no fear.

As he moved closer, a flash of recognition bred a flood of tears.  “Troy?!”  I sobbed out.  “What fu—”

“You look beautiful.”  An ethereal grin filled his face as he stood before me.

I gave him a bewildered, questioning look.

“I was so anxious to see you—to marry you.  So much so that I forgot the rings.”  He pulled a black velvet box from his pocket.  “I went back for them.  And the car just gave out.  I’ve been walking for hours; trying to make a call, or send a text,” he smiled, “when I wasn’t rehearsing my vows.”

I cupped hands over my tear-stained face.

“I’m so sorry, Layla.  I missed our wedding...But I still want to marry you.  Will you marry me?”

I leapt into his arms.  “Yes.”

Troy laughed as he held me tight.  And when I’d calmed, and found a way to release him from my hold, he wove his fingers in mine, lifted my hand to his lips, and kissed the ring that represented a promise he had every intention of keeping.  And we walked due north, hand-in-hand; towards something wonderful and familiar.  Towards our future.    

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.