Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Hey all, see I told you I would update soon, and with a longer chapter. Hope you enjoy!!!




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


There’s a monster inside…

I woke with a start, a scream on the tip of my tongue, and yet my first instinct was not to shout, but to grab my gun. Fingers reached for the Beretta on the nightstand, but came up empty. Next was the headboard, but my knife was no longer taped to it. His heavy scent surrounded me, but without a weapon, I was defenseless. “What do you want with me, Norris?” I snapped.

At the desk chair, with a rifle across his lap and harsh eyes pinned on me, Norris looked every bit of the devil. “Your room was searched and every single thing was taken.”

“You have no right to take my things,” my response was immediate, but this place controlled my body now.

 “Funny thing, little girl, I have more rights than you do at the moment. You are now under protective custody from others and yourself. You carry something precious now, and I won’t let you out of my damn sight.” Those eyes were as black as the night sky, and while some would consider them striking, they created ice down my spine.

“Fuck this!” I snapped and knew I only had once chance to get this right. I jumped from the bed, fully clothed in the cove’s attire, and snatched the lamp from the bedside table. With as much precision and strength, I threw it at his head, and didn’t wait for it to crash. Quickly, I made my way to the door, but the old man had another plan. A rough hand crushed my arm and instantly, I was blocked. “Move out of my fucking way.”

“You have strict orders, and if you want to continue to disobey them, I will restrain you.” He yelled and threw me against the door. Do, you, understand?”

“Strict orders, my ass!” I spat out and tried to force my way free, however his grip tightened as he positioned me for another round with the door. “I will break your nose if you don’t let me go.” Something primal erupted within me, as words turned into a growl, and I burned with rage.  Suddenly, Norris’ eyes widened and his head tilted in surprise; a menacing laughter escaped his lips.  

“You will try,” he challenged, a smile of intrigue planted across his face.

I exploded. Fingers curled into fists, limbs flew everywhere, before I knew it, my knuckles made contact with his nose. Norris braced himself after the first, but quickly, his hands shot out and gripped my fists. With a harsh reality, he slammed me up against the wall; my head bounced off the concrete and sent me into a daze. Norris let me go, but I made a quick recovery.

“Fuck you!” I spat and brought my leg up. Shocked left me paralyzed; Norris grabbed my raised knees and used it to send me toward another wall. Immediately, arms shot up, braced for the impact, but it was too late. I went head first into the wall, and dropped to the floor like a dead Z. With the wind knocked out, all I did was lay there, stuck on the pain.

“Next time I won’t be so civilized,” he said, his voice muffled from his bleeding nose. With that he left, the lock signified the prison that I now faced; both body and soul.

Hours passed since Norris left me, but someone was back. I heard the whispers from the guards outside, before the lock jiggled and the door opened. From my position on the floor, I ignored the intruder, kept my head covered by my arms. I sat still with my knees raised, until I heard them drop something on the desk. Expecting Karen, or even Norris, I was wrong when I recognized black combat boots. In front of me, in full black military gear was the Hispanic woman Michael ate breakfast with every morning. With stern hazel eyes, she regarded me for only a second and observed the room. Filled with rage after Norris’ departure, I flipped over everything that wasn’t attached to floor and thrown it around the room. The woman let go a small snicker but amusement didn’t reach her eyes. She kicked one of my pillows out of her way and walked toward the door. In less than thirty seconds she was gone, but would reappear.

Day after day, for five days, the same woman returned; endured the weight of my daily meals, while judgmental eyes stared down at me. No matter where I was, she found me; nose in the sky, and left with only a snicker. Yesterday, she uttered her first words to me, “eat.” However, I pushed the plate right to back to her. She was dismissed with a mouth full of words.

Today, I stood in the bathroom when I heard the door open. She could provide me with news of Michael and Jasper. Bare feet led me from the en-suite, to see her by my desk. She looked at the abandoned food from breakfast, and snarled. “You are the one who eats with my friend?” I asked before she left hastily.

“Which one is your friend?”

“Please don’t play stupid, because I know you are intelligent. I am only asking to know how he is doing?”

Suddenly her back stiffened. “You want to know how he’s doing, after a month of not caring?”she responded,sarcastically.  

“I asked.” I snapped back, sizing up the woman. She was close to my height, maybe an inch taller and her physique was covered by her uniform and gear, but I knew she was in shape. She belonged to one of those rogue military crew, who gathered to the cove under Norris’ actions and Karen’s words. I heard the whispers against the all-girls sector, saw the discrimination they received by Norris and his boys. I, also, figured she’d grown fond emotions for Michael, so I had to tread lightly.

“You asked? As if I give a fuck about what you want?” she advanced and I took a step back. She was well equipped to bring me down in seconds, while I stood with nothing but hand-to-hand skills. I watched her carefully as she took a long look at me. “He cares about you and I can’t figure out why. You can’t think for yourself or defend yourself; you are nothing but a civil and yet you’re the reason he stays. A whole has gone by, and this is the first time you’ve worried about his well-being. Well, because of you he’s been missing. They took him from the hospital after beating him close to death.”

My gut dropped instantly, and pain coursed through my heart. “You have to know where they’re keeping him. Where is he?” I stepped forward, aimed to grab her incase she ran from the room.Yet, she stayed put.  

“That’s the fucking problem, I don’t know. We would’ve left. That day we had everything planned, but he insisted on saving your ass. Now look at us. You’re a waste to me, a puppet that they’ll use until they suck you dry. I hope you suffer,” she spat out before walking to the door. I made a move to stop here, but knew that nothing would come of it. Words were absent as visions of him struggling in the hospital came forth. She stopped for a second, her hand around the knob and turned toward me, indecisiveness written across her brow. “You have two days,” and she left.

“Two days, for what?” I yelled but she had already closed behind her. I ran to open it, but the knob wouldn’t turn. Yet again, I was alone. “Ahh!” I screamed and anger took over once more. The wrath drove me on a rampage, throwing, kicking, and breaking whatever I could muster. At one point, I caught my taunt reflection in the mirror and broke it with the toilet cover.

Control wasn’t an option, until my body laid drained in the bedroom corner, and cramps spread through my stomach. Famished, I dismissed the food they fed me this past week, but now hungered for the bread; it was missing. I resigned to the excruciatingly slow results of starvation and only prayed that Michael and Jasper were safe.  Two days… repeated in my head, over and over. Two days…

***

 “Celeste, we made a deal, you will be good, and I shall reward you. Why aren’t you eating?”

“Karen, stay the fuck away from me,” I whispered back, fatigue left little room for a fight. I raised my head a bit and saw that she was not alone. Norris was back, with two men this time.

“Back with reinforcements, it’s sad that you couldn’t handle me on your own. How’s the leg?” I baited him, took notice of his limp for the first time.

“Don’t, Celeste.” Karen interjected and sat down dinner on the desk. “I know we are in a tough position, but we have to look at the bright side.  You are alive, well, and have ample shelter and food. You can roam freely and have visitors, if you are on good behavior. However, most importantly, you will cure the world of this evil and save the human race. This baby…”

“Why do you keep calling it a baby? It’s a monster, which you created. You will fail Karen, just like you failed those that mutated, and Nicolai. All of you will fail, and all of us will die at the hands of our own evil.” My words hit Karen deep; I could see it in her eyes. She lived in this fantasy world, without laying a shoe outside these walls. She didn’t understand how people have changed, how we’ve become a vicious and corrupted society from the downfall. “Even if a cure was made, we would destroy ourselves anyway.”

I flipped over on my side, away from the group, and curled my body into itself. The cramps lingered, threatened to strengthen with movement, but the cold floor helped. I would’ve drifted away if it wasn’t for the sounds of whispers they made. Karen’s voice was set on something, while Norris argued with few words. I could care less what they wanted from me now. I was dead anyway.

“Celeste, I will allow you to see him, if you would like,” Karen finally voiced and intrigue pulled me from my despair.

“Who?” I asked, even though my gut answered. The Hispanic woman’s words replayed and I imagined the pain he endured for me. I needed to see him, no matter what state I was in.

“That boy you came here with. If you eat, I will take you to him.” The sound of silverware jingled along the tray as Karen approached. She sat everything down on the floor in front of me. It held soup, some crackers, and cooked vegetables. The smell was divine as my mouth watered on its own accord.

“I don’t trust you,” I answered and her eyebrow quirked.

“You know what you have to lose,” she answered and offered me the spoon. I took a calculated look at the food, before the hunger brought me up. My eyes on her, I ignored the offer, picked up the bowl of soup and bread instead. Quickly, I dumped the soft wheat into the tomato soup and brought it to my lips. Karen watched on, her expression masked, but her eyes never wavered. Instead, I concentrated more on curing the pain in my gut.

A moan of contentment escaped my lips before I could catch it, as the hot liquid coursed through my body and sat well in my stomach. My body reacted immediately and I dropped the bread, opting for drinking straight for the bowl. My eyes closed at the delightful taste, hunger had me gulping for more. Once done, I used the bread to wipe the bowl clean and pounced on the vegetables, using the fork. Milk was given next, but I swallowed that quickly.

My body rejoiced from the nourishment, and famine was gone. The cramps vanished, and my body was washed with energy. “Good Girl,” Karen said, as I sat back against the wall, drunk off the food. I opened my eyes to a smile on her face, as she pulled something from the closest. It was a coat and boots. I never noticed those in the wardrobe before now. “As I promised, we shall go to visit your friend now. I don’t want you to freeze.”

For the first time, I noticed everyone was wearing an extra layer of clothing; Karen, the only one with a coat. She helped me into the long, feathered Parka, and fur lined boots. “Where are we going?” I asked her, tried my best to keep the disgust away.

“Your friend wasn’t very nice to us, so we had to keep him contained. It’s in another building, we have to walk outside.”

I nodded and watched as she zippered my coat. She gave the okay to Norris who instructed his men to open the door. Within seconds everyone was in formation around me as I walked outside of the room. Norris led the way through the Cove’s maze, while many people we passed looked the other way. Instantly, I felt like a prisoner being led to the guillotine, but one advantage I had was this monster. No one would harm me.

Head held high, I followed while Norris took us down the hidden pathway Sage showed me. In the day, it posed as another hallway, fashioned with many doors, but I knew its secrets and so did Norris and Karen. We came upon the last door in the hallway and Norris flashed his face toward a camera. I watched as the door opened and the brisk winter air swirled around us.

A storm was upon us, white fluffy snow fell sideways as the wind spun in circles. My security tightened around me as the wind picked up. I pulled the fur lined hood of the parka above my head and tracked our walk. From surviving mostly in woods, I gained the ability to recognize shapes and used them as road maps. The winter blast didn’t make it easy for me, but I knew exactly where I came from.

Within minutes, we were upon a small shed that I noticed before. It looked vacant, identical to the shell of a cabin the Cove hid underneath. Its rusted walls and tarnished roof covered a small space, no bigger than a handicapped out house. Once again, Norris flashed his face toward a small black orb, while his two guards stood on alert outside. We entered into a dimly lit room, bare except for a set of steps off to the side of the room. The freezing temperatures spread their deathly fingers inside and my heart quickened at the thought of Michael. Was he tortured by staying out of here in the cold? What have they done to him? My questions were quickly answered.

Upon descending the steps, we passed another doorway and the air intensified with heat. While it seemed like a frozen tundra upstairs, it was the tropics down here. Karen lowered her hood and unbuttoned her jacket. We came to a hallway, lit with bright lights and showcased rooms through glass floor-ceiling windows. I watched as we passed the first on both sides of me, each empty but displayed a bed, and a door. “What is this place?”

“This our containment cells for people who need a little time to cool down. It’s best that we keep them away from the others…”

“So the mood doesn’t become contagious,” I finished her statement. It was the same with the infected during the early days. People thought they would learn something by containing them, but also stay safe with the isolation. The clear glass showed this was no different.

A strong stench of blood filled my nostrils, and instead of gag like I would’ve in the past, my mouth watered. I swallowed down the liquid and tried to hide the rumble of my stomach, but Norris must’ve heard. His knowing eyes stood alert as he assessed me.

“Are you alright?” Karen asked, as she noticed Norris’ expression.

“I’m fine, where is he?”

“He’s at the last cell. It’s the most comfortable,” she added, as if this made it better.

My feet pulled me closer, faster than the others. Upon reaching the glass window to his cell, my heart dropped. He sat on the floor, identical to the way I opted for most of the week. From here, I couldn’t see any bruises, but the scent of blood still lingered. “Is he alright?” I asked; there was no need to feign ignorance of their abuse.

“He’s vitals are fine, but like yourself he refuses to eat. This meeting is for the both of you. If he sees that you are well, than hopefully he will cut off this damn suicide wish. His death is not an option,” she said sternly.

“Well maybe it’s his distrust that has caused him to stop eating, not my well-being.”

“That’s nonsense!” She snapped; her agitation slipped before she reeled it back in. She took a step back and held herself, a tiny finger pointed at the doorway. “Unlock it for her, Norris,” she ordered him, then turned away. Norris did her bidding and opened the door for me. His stiff stature brought no comfort as I cautiously stepped forward.

“I’ve done nothing wrong, why do you keep coming here?” His voice, weak with fatigue, muffled from being hidden in his arms.

“Michael…” I called out to him as the door closed behind me. I called once more, before his head lifted and he looked at me. Those sky blue eyes inspected me closely before recognition registered.

“You’re okay?” he asked, almost uncertain that I was there.

I nodded. “How are you?”

For the first time in weeks, I saw the shadows of a smile, small but it was still there. “I glad you are okay, but what did they do?”

At his question, my eyes grew wide as I turned toward the window. Instead of Norris and Karen, I only saw my reflection but Michael knew immediately what I was thinking. He too looked at the mirror and stood. “Jesus,” I whispered as I viewed the stiffness of his motion. His powerful body, now arched in pain, glistened with a bruised face. “Oh, Michael,” I cried. Feet crossed the distance fast, set on supporting him. As soon as I reached him, he slumped in my arms, his weight almost impossible for me to carry alone. “Let’s get you to the bed,” I offered but he looked toward a door at the back of the room.

“There. Help me use the bathroom.” Michael wrapped a heavy arm around my waist and leaned his entire body into mine. I hugged him as his head laid upon mine; we began to struggle. Once we reached the door, Michael turned the knob and pushed it open. He led me inside the dimly lit bathroom and slammed the door shut.

“Michael?” I wondered as he stood up to his full height, all of his weight supported on two sturdy legs. His back straightened and bent backwards in a stretch. I watched as the man who was weak, now transformed into the SEAL I met.

“We don’t have much time before they’ll become suspicious. So, are you certain that you are okay?” he asked and came forward, his body not more than a foot away.

“I…I…I don’t know exactly. I mean, no…” my words became a jumbled mess, and my thoughts weaved together. I wasn’t well, I told myself, but the words wouldn’t come out. I was afraid of his reaction.

“What’s wrong?” He pressed on but I wouldn’t waste precious time.

 “We need to leave. We need to get Jasper and leave this fucking place tonight,” I said, urgently.

“What is going on?” Michael asked. The room exploded with nervous energy and I knew that he wouldn’t say no.

“They did something to Jasper, right under my eyes. He’s changed, morphed. Karen gave him an altered virus, one like the Z’s and enhanced his abilities, but the last time she did that, the people turned. Michael they became those monsters herding in the basement of the academy. I can’t let her turn him; I can’t let her turn me.” Soon hysteria would lead me over the edge and I searched his eyes for strength. So much was wrong.

Michael soaked in every word, his calm even though I know he was wary of my condition. “Is that what they did to you?” he asked and I hesitated. Once again, fear too over before I could be honest.

“I’m fine.” I lied.

“They didn’t infect you like Jasper?” he asked again, and I denied the assumption. Suddenly, Michael cornered me against the wall; his right hand gripped my chin. He tilted my face toward him and looked me square in the eye. “At the academy, I looked one of those things in the eyes and saw yellow. Jasper has the same streak in his eyes. It must be a sign of the virus.” He tilted my chin closer to the light, before he resigned. “You’re not infected,” he whispered.

“I told you I wasn’t,” I answered and went to turn away when his force hardened.

“I don’t want to let you go back with them,” his voice transformed into a soft melody that I grew desperate for. My pulse quickened, and sweat coated my palms, I didn’t want to leave him, either.  

“Then don’t. Let’s fight together and get the hell out of here. We can go anywhere. The stories about the small colonies of humans are true. We can go to one of those instead, start anew,” I begged, and knew time would soon run out.

“Two days…” was his quiet reply and my eyes squinted with suspicions.

“That Hispanic woman said the same thing to me this morning.”

“Miriam? She saw you.”

“She’s been feeding me meals all week, the only person I’ve seen in days.”

“Then it must be completed…” he whispered and exited the bathroom far easier than when we entered. I flushed the toilet to support our story, but Michael forgot all about it. He went over to his bed and pulled a book out from underneath; the bible.

“Take this and keep it by your side. Spread the words of wisdom to whoever you come across.” He looked pointedly at the book and then back up at me; his back to the window hid his gestures. I nodded and slowly took the book. Michael’s fingers lingered on mine and his eyes became soft.“Celeste, what happened?”He asked.

“I…I don’t know.”

Oh god, for some reason, I couldn’t tell him. I couldn’t utter the truth because then I would be a lost cause for him. Why would he stay?

Instantly, the realization of how much I needed him rocked me from my stupor and I moved into him, arms went around his waist. Michael responded immediately, his grip tight, added reassurance.  

“I have a need to protect you,” he said, suddenly. His dark voice spoke only a few decimals above a whisper, as his voice caressed my ear.

“They want you to eat, to stay alive. Why are they doing all of this to keep me here…” I voiced and slowly, Michael shook his head.

He pulled away from me and looked me square in the eye.” They are doing all this to keep us both here.”

Confusion plagued me. “Why, what could you offer them?” For the first time, I felt something tonight shift between us…in him. Michael never talked about where he came from, the military academy was the only semblance of his past that he exposed, but I felt like I was on the brink of a precipice. He stood still, his eyes bore into mine, as memories flooded his mind.Suddenly, I thought of the new friend he ate with, Miriam, and her past on the Island. Norris popped into to my head, and the awkward moments Michael shared with the man. “What is your secret?” Suddenly, there was a knock on the door, urgent and loud. He turned toward the door as it opened; his eyes tight, immediate anger transformed his face and his body stiffened. Norris stepped into the room, one eyebrow quirked and amusement on his lips.

“Go ahead, son. Tell her why you are just as valuable as that baby...”At Norris’ words, Michael’s head spun back at me in shock.

“You’re pregnant?”

However, I wasn’t thinking about my condition.” Who are you?”

 

 






Chapter End Notes:

What's going to happen in two days? and what is Michael significance? all that and more coming up in the next chapter. 







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.