Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Snap.

“Wake up, Celeste.” Jasper stood above me, topless with wet silky, black hair and exposed olive skin. “Go take a dip in the river so we can head out.” I watched as he turned away and ducked under some deerskin we found last night.

With a heavy breath, I stared as the crisp morning air turned it into fog and split away through the trees. It has been two frosty days since the hospital escape and I still couldn’t snap back from it. This time, Jasper rode me hard to escape the mob. We covered 20 miles before he allowed us to set up camp by this river and finally eat a meal. By his sunken eyes, and lack of sleep, I knew it shook him too, probably more than me.

I sat up and climbed from my nest of leaves and moleskin, and approached Jasper. “Can I have the soap?” I asked to his back. Something unnerved me while I stood there, staring at his tall broad back. A chill lingered in the air that didn’t come from the weather.

He turned quickly, his eyes looked passed my head, yet his hand held out the soap. Resigned, I reached for the bar, but Jasper held on. “I did what I had to...for us, Celeste. “ New sad brown eyes finally fell on me and the remorse struck a chord. He never cared in the past, we never cared; something changed.

“I know,” I replied back, yet his hold tightened.

“I would never do that to you. You can trust me.” He brought a hand to my cheek and caressed. I leaned into his warmth.

“I do trust you, always.” With my declaration, he let go and looked toward the river. I took one last glance at his beautiful, yet scarred face and walked to the slow moving water.

Relationships in this new world were nearly extinct. People had too many things to worry about; risks had to be taken, patience was a must and spontaneous decisions couldn’t exist. Jasper and my friend were great examples. In Brooklyn, they were serious and heavy, one never left the other and they shared everything. They were the golden couple; we all looked up to them. So it seemed easy to follow them when we all left the city, but then the struggles came. Simple arguments about where we should go, what tactics we should take, soon morphed into lying, cheating, and even stealing. While I loved my friend, she was a constant reminder of the world we once lived; she couldn’t take or want the pressures of leadership, or survival. On the other hand, Jasper regaled in the role; the reason I still lived was because of him.  By the time of her death, they barely spoke to each other, and when she got infected he barely cried.

Along the road, I heard it was the same with most couples. They died together, stayed alive apart, or more hauntingly, killed each other.  Trust was broken between couples in post war Z. Survival required far too many choices, without worrying about a girlfriend.  Quickly, everyone adapted to the “no attachments of the heart” way of life. It was easier to fuck and leave.

“Don’t stay in too long, the water’s cold.” Jasper stood along the bank, fully clothed in black cargo pants, a gray knit sweater, and his favorite brown leather boots.  He sat leisurely with his hunting knife on one thigh and his handgun on the other. When he settled, those whiskey eyes  came to me, watched all of me, and I smiled. We were each other’s solution to our sexual urges. The first night we indulged in each other, I was on such a high from the thrill. He was the cookie I snatched out the jar and got away with. We stumbled by a group of campers, and normally we would keep on, but the sounds that rose from the campfire brought out a craving in both of us.  An hour later, we camped and Jasper proposed a deal; scratch when itched. It surprised me how quickly I accepted.

 “I know,” I answered, allowed his eyes to take in my nude chest; I looked toward our packed campground. We didn’t carry much, but Jasper was exceptionally well at packing. The disheveled ground appeared normal, our bags were stock with the few belongings we carried, and our weapons laid close to his hand.

“The kid would’ve been good for us. Another set of eyes…” he suddenly spoke the truth. Fall’s weather failed to ease us into the coldness; the trees lost their leaves by now. One could look for miles through skinny trunks and bare branches. We were left unprotected.  “…at least for an extra set of eyes.” The old man’s boy was an asset, however he was crazy in making, and anyone would be hesitant to travel with a certifiable killer.

Quickly, I made use of the river and soaped my top half before venturing down south. Rivers were the little luxurious in this world; I made sure to take advantage and be thorough.  The cold water engulfed my hand as it slid between my thigh. I cupped myself to examine how unruly I’ve become, only to discover something worse. Two fingers broke the water’s surface displaying red. Fuck, we were in trouble.

Immediately, I ran out of the water and snatched the deerskin from jasper’s side.  In haste, I dried off. Jasper asked no questions and took out his machete, scanning the water. “Turn around, I’m bleeding,” I answered with a tampon already in hand and clothes beside my bag.  

Instead, he took a quick scan of my body. “From two nights ago…?”

“No…menstrual,” I said, and waved the small package. Twelve times out of the year, women faced an exceptionally hard existence in this new world. The smell of blood was a beacon for the undead; if they smelt it, they would definitely come find it. It was weird how fate worked now; I was born to breed new human life, and now I bleed to nourish another existence.

“Fuck…how long?” Immediately, the rustling of his bag echoed through the clearing as he shoved loose items inside.

“Just started, I would’ve known beforehand.” Jasper swung the pack on his back and then scanned the river for any sign of a threat. Since I just started we had time on foot to get away, however my blood carried downstream by the river would fuel any Zs in the water to swim upwards. “There’s a town a mile from here; nothing big. We’ll find a farmhouse with a cellar on the outskirts and hole up for a couple of days. If we move fast you’re bleeding will slow down, but we’ll still need to check out the highway for danger.”

I nodded slowly. The risks were higher this time, and I had to play it smart. A year ago, we traveled the whole time of my period. Constant movement slowed down the bleeding for me, allowed us to keep a lot of distance from the Zs. However, we’re different, too tired to survive at this rate. We were mentally broken, a state we had never faced before.

Two hours, it took to get to the highway. Jasper, the first to break through the tree line, suggested that I stayed back for look out. The deserted road was empty, except for the random stray car, and a few dead animals. Jasper crept slowly toward the middle, his machete high, and looked East and West for any sign.  I waited in the shadows, my bow and arrow focused on the surrounding area. With a decision made, he ran back to me. Kissed by my bow, I met him halfway took a look for myself; nothing.

“You think everyone got a clear escape out of here?” he asked, searched once more.

“I don’t think there was many to begin with,” I said, eyes on the crooked welcome sign with a population of three thousand. “This would be our best bet.” He nodded and ushered for me to take the lead.

Once in a while Jasper allowed me to take control over finding a campout. Small towns were the best training ground for me. Smaller populations meant less risk; most people evacuated while they could and empty highways were proof.

We followed the welcome sign, walked along the patch of forest until the trees cleared. Farm houses were scattered on the other side of empty fields. Those were the best places to camp out, but my instinct had to choose. We walked for another hour before sighting the town in front of us. It was completely deserted; strangely empty. “We should stay a mile or two away,” Jasper spoke for the first time since I took the reins.

“I know, it’s just everything feels awkward, you know. Like nothing’s right for us. Maybe we should skip this town.” While the risks with a deserted town lessened than a bigger city, dangers still lurked. No longer was the fear placed on Zs, but people. Since the war, most became wanderers; many bandits and prisoners were let out of jail. They were the first to rally and raid together. They were also the people you tried to avoid. Thugs prayed on the weak, stole everything you had and raped the women once you felt safe. Jasper received his first injury from fighting of a group of misfits. They sliced his abdomen. I was left with two black eyes. “That one, “ I said, pointed to a red and white farmhouse.

It sat by itself in the middle of a field, with a large tree behind it. It looked relatively vacant from here, no boards on the windows or doors. I searched for a vehicle next, since most still traveled by car. “I think it’s good.”

“Okay. Let’s close in.” In our usual formation, Jasper and I 20ft apart, we approached like you would a sleeping stray dog. Even though there was no evidence of people or any Zs, you had to be positive. Places like this had cellars, and cellars were perfect for a scared family.

Jasper walked around the property, looked for a way in, and came up successful. “There’s a window that’s unlocked.”

“Did you see any inhabitants?”

“No, but it definitely has a basement.” He smiled.

“Perfect,” I replied.

He climbed into the window first and checked out the inside before helping me up. We entered through the kitchen, climbed right over a porcelain sink. Immediately, we took sides of the first level and checked out the rooms. My paths lead me through a small, dark library that was tidy and untouched. The mahogany shelves displayed rows of immaculate legends, law books, and gilded bibles. My mind started to driff; imaginations of the previous owner’s life flashed before my eyes.

“Clear!” The sound of Jasper’s voice sent me back to reality and I moved toward the living room. Much like the library everything was in order with a thick layer of dust.  Jasper entered the room, his machete by his side and a smile on his face.  “It seems to be completely empty, even the front door is locked.”

“Maybe they went out in search of something,” I turned toward the window. The view was stunning, with acres and acres of untouched land and mountains. 

“Maybe, but nothing’s lived in. No boarded up doors or windows. The rooms upstairs are exactly the same. We should check out the basement.”

With the assistance of a flashlight, we walked through a vast space with cement floors and shelves along the walls. It was a typical man’s work space along one wall and a crafts area along another. We figured that the owners were elderly and escaped while they had the strength. For us, this was good because we had the perfect set up.

“I’m going to go to the kitchen to gather whatever I can. You should stay down here and map my footsteps. Also look for light sources.”

“Sure,” I replied.

We spent most of the morning fixing up the basement to be a great spot for us. All the bedrooms provided us enough padding and blankets to be comfortable for the floor. Most of the cabinets were empty in the kitchen, so food was a problem, but that seemed to be the only one. There were also bags of soil and pots that would be good to bury anything we didn’t want to smell. Upon a good inspection that we had everything we needed from the house, Jasper began to gear up. “We need food. I should go into town and look for something.”

“Alone,” I piped up from the crafts station. My fingers moved across the ten candles I lit.

“What, you thought you were coming with me? Remember we’re hiding out because you’re going to attract them,” he spoke down to me.

“I’m not an idiot, but we didn’t sweep the town. What if it’s not the dead this time and I was wrong  about this town?

“…And what if you were right. We need food and medical supplies, and with you bleeding, we have no choice.”

Astonished by his dedication to leaving, I spun away from the wall of yarns and candles to look at him. He squinted in the light of my flashlight, but I could see he was ready to go. “This is ridiculous, Jasper! We have enough rations to last a couple of days. You can’t go…”

Jasper quickly covered the distance between us and stood in front of me. Under lit whiskey eyes looked down at me with worry, but also strength. He towered me by five inches, but it seemed greater. “Wouldn’t you rather eat beans, or rice; chicken and curry sauce; even fruit. I long to catch a glimpse of what sweet pineapples would taste on my lips…or yours.” His head bent low and lips captured mine instantly.

I didn’t fight him; encouraged him to suck me in. Hands began to wander between us and before long I was up against a wall, my legs around his waist and his hand in my hair.

“Let me go now, so I can get back,” he spoke into my lips, slowly bit on my tongue.

Out of breath and words, I nodded my resignation. He stepped away gently with one kiss to my forehead. I watched as he climbed the stairs, before I picked up my hand gun, and bow.

“I’ll only be gone for no more than three hours. Okay?” He said and slipped out the kitchen window and run across the fields. I watched with my gun at eye level, securing his safety until he was out of my sight. Then I turned away and walked straight to the grandfather clock in the hallway, counting down to his return.

***

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding…

The soft chime of the clock brought me from the master closet, down the steps and to the front window. Jasper was still gone and it’s been five hours. The house had to be only twenty minutes from the city center at most, and he had a direct plan. Why wasn’t he back, I thought.

Soon my feet no longer followed my brain. I was fully dressed with my weapons tucked against my body and bow at my back. Following after Jasper, I climbed through the window and ran as fast as I could to the main street.

Silence never seemed so loud until you walked down a deserted town by yourself. Many thoughts went through my head as I stayed close to the cover of the buildings. The stench of the undead marked them here, but I didn’t want to cross out a human ambush either. I viewed the city through the eye of a killer, my Archery Razorback as a companion; however I hoped I had no reason to use it.

Brick buildings upon brick buildings slowly spiked my anxiety and I crossed another one without sight of Jasper. I looked for a market or convenience store and passed nothing. Once I approached a barber shop, only to stop abruptly when I noticed movement inside. Strapped to a chair was a Z with his mouth hanging off his jaw and black blood oozed from his cuffed arms.

Suspicious, my immediate danger became booby traps. If there was a tied up Z, then someone had to put him there. I approached the corner of an intersection and cursed when approached by three options. I looked ahead through  a pair of magnifying glasses and ruled out the street in front of me. I turned to my right and looked down that street and saw a market, but no sign of Jasper. With one last hope, I looked down the street to my left and paused. Something familiar was left on the sidewalk. It was Jasper’s jacket. “Shit…” this time I couldn’t hold in my disappointment. With stealth and grace, I decided to approach. Upon closer inspection I noticed it was outside of a drug store. The windows to the building were smashed in and the darkness inside gave way to my darkest fears. I would be blind to any dangers inside.  Sent a silent prayer up to the blood red sky, I mustered up what courage I had left and placed one foot on the other side of the window.

On the balls of my feet, I avoided the shards of glass littered the floor and found quick sanctuary along a wall. The aisles in the shop were still standing albeit mostly empty, showed no sign of life or death. I waited, listened, and then heard scratching toward the back of the store. What seemed like a small hole in the wall from outside proved to be long and narrow. Suddenly, I noticed the stench of the undead. There were a lot. With watered eyes, I inched closer to the first aisle. A round mirror hung from the back ceiling that I used to my advantage. I watched with bated breath as a group surround a restroom door. I crept down the aisle until I was at the back of the store and only a few rows from the door. Through the mirror I counted the Z’s heads. Twenty of those fuckers clawed and pushed for a meal. Shit, I thought, and chills crept up my spine.

Jasper and I have never faced this many, in such tight quarters before. There was no easy escape and I knew I had to think quickly before they smelled me. Suddenly, I threw out our signature bird call. Early on, we learned that the Zs avoided anything that sounds like birds. I guess it was because they could never catch them. Jasper was the one to suggest we use the sounds. We made a whole language out of bird noises and hand symbols.

I imitated the black-capped Chickadee once more, and tried to listen over the sounds of the Zs. Nothing. “Shit,” I cursed. I knew I had to get closer, but I was too afraid. I looked up to the ceiling and instantly saw speakers. Maybe…

Inching back from the mob, I made my way to back to the front. I looked toward the register counter on the other side of the store and prayed. On the count of three, I ran…fast.

It took me two seconds to figure out the intercom system and two more seconds to get over the shock that it still worked. Mentally prepared, I called out again, and surprised myself with the clarity of it. But it was loud. I ducked down close to the floor as I heard a shuffle…and then more. Fuck the sound was too loud. Now I had some of their attentions, which was not good. As the thought of running entered my mind, I heard it; a whistle from the back. It wasn’t the same animal as me but it didn’t matter, Jasper was in that closet and now I had to get him out.

The shuffling was slow but still approached and I knew once they scented me, I would be good as dead, so I instantly looked for a diversion. I pulled my hand gun out and pointed it toward the open window. If I could anything that would loud, maybe they would run outside…but I couldn’t find anything. Instantly I looked for another option, I trick I learned in a store a while back. 

All stores like this had to have a fire extinguisher and once I hit it, it would explode, fog up and fly. The only thing I needed it to shoot for the street. With the stench near and their haggard noise sharper, I made haste and position the gun through a  hole and wished on luck. “ONE…TWO…THREE”

 

BANG!!!






Chapter End Notes:

Once again, thank you for reading. Hope you enjoyed. 







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.