Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


It was late spring. And June brought higher temperatures, more tourists and Jade’s birthday. At two weeks out, Jade was planning her annual birthday evening. She was eating a late lunch with Dani one afternoon, when she explained the details of her usual plans.

Jade was in town for the first time in several weeks and she wanted to check in with each member of her team individually to see where they were on their tasks. Their regularly scheduled conference calls were helpful, but not as intimate as Jade liked. She also had ulterior motives; Jade wanted the scoop on what was transpiring between Luke and Cassie.

Dani sat with Jade at her husband’s restaurant. They were finishing up their meal.

“Now that business is over, let’s talk about Cassie and Luke.” Jade said getting straight to the point.

Dani nodded. “Let’s. I know Luke has been extremely busy lately with work. And we haven’t really had the chance to talk as much as I’d like.”

“So you haven’t hear anything then?” Jade asked.

“No, not really. It’s not unusual for Luke and I not to talk to each other for several weeks when he’s working on a big case. He seems to disappear for weeks and then out of the blue we get a phone call, ‘Yeah big case; fast moving project; had to do some research in London.’ Although that doesn’t necessarily mean they aren’t spending time together, I just doubt it. Luke didn’t mention anything about Cassie.” Dani explained.

“That makes sense. With me, I’ve been the one who’s busy. It’s hard to check in with Cassie. This project is not the only thing in the works. I’m working with a designer on a shoe line I hope to get out for the winter. I’ve also had meetings with directors and movie producers. My agent is working to get me an acting role. It’s something I’ve always wanted to try. I participated in theater in college for a little while. So my conversations with Cassie have been a bit short of late. And it’s easier for her to keep things from me when we’re not face-to-face.” Jade said.

“So it sounds like neither of us really knows what’s going on on that front.” Dani said.

Jade nodded her head.

“Hmm.” Dani brought the glass of water sitting in front of her to her lips as she pondered solutions to their perceived problem. “We need to find a way to get them together again.” Dani said.

“My birthday is coming up.” Jade said.

Dani smiled, “really do you already have plans in place that I can crash with Luke in tow?”

Jade laughed. “Somewhat, yeah. Cassie and I have this tradition where we go out to a Karaoke Bar and just have a really good night—lots of drinks and lots of singing.”

“Really, you do this every year?” Dani asked surprised. She did not thing someone as famous as Jade would be able to go out like that.

“Every year we’ve known each other, except last year.”

“Why didn’t you do it last year?” Dani asked.

“Cassie spent the year abroad trying to get over some things.”

“I see.” Dani said. “So your birthday karaoke?”

“Yes. It used to be just the two of us, but a few years ago we started expanding our group, usually to include Richie—a producer friend of ours—and whomever we were dating at the time. And by ‘we were dating’ I really mean whomever ‘I was dating,’ Cassie’s boyfriend always had something come up at the last minute. That being said, I think it’d be a great idea if you and Alex came out with us. And of course you should invite Luke as well.” Jade said.

Dani laughed. “I think so too. It will be hilarious as well, Luke has no musical talent whatsoever. It’s actually kind of scary.” 

“Doesn’t matter. As long as everyone has a good time.” Jade said. 

The two finished off the last remnants of lunch and said goodbye. Before going to back to work, Dani immediately gave Luke a call.

Luke was in the final weeks of one of the firm’s biggest cases. He was having a working lunch when his personal cell phone rang. Seeing that Dani was calling, he decided he could use a bit of  a break.

“Hi Dani, what’s up?” Luke asked after he answered the phone.

“Not a lot. How’s work going.”

Luke smirked, he knew his friend well enough to know she was up to something. Rarely did the two friends talk in the middle of the week during the middle of the work day. “Dani, you want something don’t you. You never call just to ask ‘how’s work going’ especially in the middle of the day.”

Dani sighed over the line. “You’re right. I just haven’t heard from you, or seen you in a while.” Dani said. She paused a moment before continuing. “I know you hate it,” Dani started.

“Here it comes, the impossible favor.” Luke said dramatically.

“It’s not an impossible favor. I’m not asking you to babysit or anything. I just wanted to invite you to do karaoke with me and Alex in a couple of weeks. I can text you the details.”

“Danielle.” Luke said.

“Don’t go using my first name like that!” Dani laughed. “It will be fun. If you really want, you can drag Carmen along too.” Jade said.

“Fine, whatever. I’ll be there, but I won’t enjoy myself.” Luke said.

“Of course you won’t” Dani said sarcastically. “I’ll talk to you soon. Ciao”

“Bye Dani.” Luke hung up the phone and shook his head. He had a feeling there was more to the karaoke outing than there seemed to be. Dani was plotting something.


It was the evening of Jade’s karaoke outing. Luke was once again working at the office. Noticing the time, he closed out the windows on his computer and shut the machine down. He then gathered and organized the papers on his desk before walking out the door. He was not going to be late for this event. If he played his cards right, Luke hoped he would be able to tip out of the Karaoke bar early. 

Luke walked down the hall, making sure lights were turned off as he went. He was one of the only two people working, the other was Carmen, whom Luke was going to drag out of the office on his way down. He reached the office she shared with another Junior Associated  and tapped on the open door. 

Carmen’s head shot up in shock.

“Hey.” Luke said.

“Yeah?” Carmen asked.

“Are you ready? We should be going if we want to be on time.” Luke said.

Carmen shut down her computer and grabbed her purse from an empty office chair. “I’m not the one who has punctuality issues on a regular basis.” She said sauntering past Luke through the open door. 

Luke rolled his eyes at her insult.

They arrived at their destination with plenty of time to spare. Luke could already tell the small bar was going to be crowded.  A line seemed to be forming close to the entrance.It was not even eight thirty. Carmen and Luke made their way to the front of the line to see what was going on.

“This place seems pretty packed for a karaoke bar.” Carmen noted.

“I agree. I wonder what’s so special about this place.” Luke said.

There was a man wearing a suit holding a list. He looked like he was taking names and checking others off of a list.

“Come on, let’s see if Dani made reservations for us because that looks like the only way we’re going to get in.”  Luke grabbed Carmen’s hand and the two worked their way in front of the gatekeeper.

The man, whom Luke assumed was a bouncer, looked at Carmen and Luke. “Name.” He said simply.

“Ours or the name of the party?” Luke asked.

“Your name. What’s your name.” 

“Luke Carrington and Carmen Medina.” Luke stated.

The man scanned his list and flicked his wrist twice marking the paper. “Go on in.”

Carmen raised her eyebrows, “That was easier than it looked.”

“Yeah.”

The two went inside. It was noisy. Every seat at the bar was taken and every table had people sitting down. The loud music that was playing began to go down in volume. Luke and Carmen looked to the stage.

“Good evening everyone. My name is Hannah Hart and welcome to Hart’s Karaoke Bar! If you’ve been here before, you know the drill. Come sign-up and sing your heart out. First up we have Annabeth and Eli.” The woman said.

A couple walked onto the stage and took the microphones from the stands and they began to sing.

Carmen was looking around the room for Dani and Alex when she spotted another familiar face. At a large table toward the back, Jade was sitting with Cassie and three other people. Jade looked up and caught Carmen’s eye for a moment. Carmen could tell Jade was shocked to see her, but Jade recovered quickly and waved her over.

“Do you see Dani or Alex?” Luke asked.

Carmen shook her head. “No but I bet they’re over there.” She said pointing to the table where Jade was sitting.

Luke followed her finger and snickered. “Of course.” He began walking toward the table.

“What?” Carmen asked struggling to keep up with Luke’s quick pace.

“Nothing, just Dani being Dani.” Luke said.

The two made it over to the group within a few seconds.

“You made it!” Dani said. “And you’re on time too!”

Cassie looked at Luke. She smiled and laughed. Like Luke, she realized what their friends were trying to set up. In addition to Jade, Dani and Cassie, sitting at the table were Alex and Sean.

“I did, and I see that there are more people at this little get together than I assumed there would be.”

As Dani and Luke were talking, Carmen sat down in an empty chair next to Dani.

“Well Luke, you know what they say about assuming don’t you?” Jade asked. Luke could tell she’d already had a few cocktails.

“What is that Jade?” Luke asked sitting down at the end beside Carmen.

“When you assume you make an ass out of you and me.” Jade said.

Luke looked at Cassie when she snorted at her friend’s obvious intoxicated state. Before Luke had a chance to respond, a young waitress with a high blonde ponytail came over to their table.

“Looks like the last of the party has arrived. Can I get you guys any drinks?” The server asked.

“I’ll have a coke.” Luke said.

“Corona.” Carmen said.

The waitress left and the friends began to catch up.

“Dani, is this why you insisted we go to karaoke tonight?” Luke asked. He was slightly amused by Dani’s antics.

“Is what why?” Dani feigned ignorance.

“I think Luke is talking about me and getting us together?” Cassie supplied.

Dani was silent, but Jade was not. “Oh come on. You can’t blame us. You guys would look so cute together!”

Carmen and the rest of the table laughed at Jade’s honest opinion.

“Okay, babe. I think you’ve had enough.” Sean said taking the blended drink from Jade.

Jade gave Sean a death glare as he took her drink away. “I’m not a child.” She said indignantly. “And it’s my birthday.”

Cassie could not help grinning. She had definitely missed drunk Jade while she was away.

“How long have you guys been here?” Carmen asked.

“We got here at eight. She had a couple of drinks at my place before we arrived.” Sean explained.

Carmen nodded her head.

“So it’s your birthday Jade.” Luke said.

Jade smiled wide. “Yes it is. Cassie and I have a tradition. Every year we go to a karaoke bar and just have fun.”

“And no one recognizes you?” Alex asked.

“You’d be surprised at how few people realize Jade’s the one on stage.” Cassie explained. “We do this every year and every year about five people in the crowd recognize Jade.” 

“Do you sing your own songs?” Carmen asked.

Jade turned to Carmen and stared at her intensely. “No. I make a point not to. Cassie, on the other hand, sings her own songs all the time.” 

All of the table occupants, except Luke and Cassie, looked at Jade curiously. They chocked up the statement to her inebriated state.

“You mean Cassie sings your songs right, babe?” Sean asked.

“No, I meant exactly what I said. Cassie sings the songs she wrote, some of them are ‘mine,’” Jade used her fingers to make air quotes. “And some of them other singers have made famous.”

“I don’t understand.” Carmen said. She had been following the conversation, but things were not making sense.

“Cassie is a songwriter.” Luke supplied.

“Was, I was a songwriter. I haven’t written anything in a while.” Cassie said.

“Really?!” Alex said surprised.

“Yeah. Cassie’s the best.” Jade said.

“Wait a minute. Cassie, short for Cassandra?” Sean asked.

“Yeah.” Cassie said.

“You’re Cassandra Mitchell?!!” Sean could not believe his luck. “My agent has been trying to get you for the last ten months. I’ve been wanting to work with you.” 

Cassie took a sip of her drinks and shrugged her shoulders, “Sorry, but I’m kind of out of commission. I’ve retired.” 

“You haven’t retired. You just quit because you think you’ve lost your inspiration or you’re avoiding feelings, or something like that.” Jade said.  She understood that Cassie felt like she was not ready to start writing again, but she did not have to like it. 

Cassie rolled her eyes at the comment. No one said anything for a few minutes. Then a realization hit Dani.

“Luke, how did you know that Cassie was a songwriter?” Dani asked.

Jade looked at Dani and instantly understood her train of thought. 

Luke laughed at Dani’s delayed reaction. “She told me.”

“When?” Dani demanded. She needed more details.

“That was what, almost two months ago after we went to the movie theater.” Luke said looking to Cassie for confirmation.

“That sounds about right.” Cassie said nodding her head.

“You went to out to see a movie together?” Jade smiled and said suggestively.

“Don’t get all excited. I was bored and Luke was there so we hung out. No. Big. Deal.” Cassie said.

Dani and Jade continued to smile deliriously. Cassie, getting annoyed began to get up from the table. “You know what, let me out. I’m going to go sign you up to sing.” Cassie said.

Everyone watched Cassie walk up to the stage where she flipped through the binder full of songs to pick out a song. 

“She signs you up to sing?” Carmen asked Jade.

Jade nodded her head, “every year. She picks the first song, and then I drag her up on stage. She hates it.”

“Then why does she go along with it?” Carmen asked.

“Because she doesn’t really hate it. Cassie loves singing, she just doesn’t like being in the spotlight. So I always have to coax her up on stage for karaoke. You would think this process would get easier with time, it hasn’t.” Jade explained. 

Cassie returned to the table looking smug. She sat down in her seat and took a sip from her drink. Everyone looked at her expectantly, waiting to hear what Jade would sing. 

Sean was the first to speak, “So what is Jade singing?” 

Cassie flicked her eyes from Carmen to Sean and then looked at Jade, “‘Poker Face,’ the acoustic version.”

Jade glared at Cassie. It was not that Jade did not like the song, it was one of her favorites. But she and Cassie had numerous discussions about the song’s meaning. And even if no one else at their table knew the meaning behind the lyrics, Jade knew it was Cassie’s form of payback as well as Cassie’s way of pushing her out of her self protective bubble.

The looks between Cassie and Jade was not lost on Carmen. As she watched the moment transpire between Cassie and Jade, Carmen began to contemplate exactly what was going on.

Sean, oblivious to what had happened, asked a question. “They have the karaoke acoustic version?”

“No. I convinced them to let me accompany Jade on the piano.”

“And you were able to do this how?” Jade asked.

“I told them it was your birthday, and you really wanted to sing your favorite song.” Cassie smiled. Jade saw the slightly devilish glint in her eye.

Before Jade could say anything further, the group on stage finished their song and the owner came up on stage. “Thank you guys for that rendition of  ‘Eye of the Tiger.’ Next up we have a special treat. Jay will be singing ‘Poker Face’ and she will be accompanied on the piano by her friend Cassie. So ladies if you please?’

Cassie and Jade went up on the stage and performed flawlessly. When they were done, the bar erupted into a loud applause. 

“Wow, someone get her a recoding contract.” The owner said before reading off the name of the next karaoke performers.

“Nicely done ladies.” Luke said.

 

“Thank you. We’re here once a year.” Jade joked.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.