Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


The following morning Cassie awoke early. She looked around the large room from the queen-size bed on which she slept. It was still somewhat dark outside. Cassie rolled out of bed and walked over to the sliding door. Her room had a balcony with a view of the ocean. Hugging her torso, Cassie looked out of the window. The sun was just beginning to make its appearance over the water. She took a deep breath before walking over to the bed to straighten up the comforter. 

After fixing the bed, Cassie slowly opened the door to her room; the house was still quiet. She walked through the hallway and down the stairs. She tried not to make the wood floors creak too much as she made her way through the house. In the kitchen, Cassie looked around and took stock of the remaining food. 

Luke leaned against the doorway to the kitchen. He watched Cassie move around the room. She was looking in the refrigerator with one hand on the door’s handle and her body bent forward as she reached for something on a lower shelf. Luke decided to make himself know.

“What are you doing?’ Luke asked.

Cassie jumped at the sound of Luke’s voice. She quickly turned around almost dropping the eggs she held in her hands. “Damn-it Luke. You scared the shit out of me.”

Luke laughed at Cassie’s reaction. “I’m sorry. I heard you moving around upstairs and decided to see what you were doing.”

Cassie nodded her head and walked over to the table where other food items sat. She placed the eggs next to a large mixing bowl. “And why are you up so early?” Cassie asked ignoring Luke’s original question.

“I was looking over some things.” Luke said. 

“For work?” Cassie asked.

“Yes for work.” 

Luke pulled away from the doorframe and walked over to where Cassie had begun to crack eggs into a bowl.

“Are you going to tell me what you’re doing?” Luke asked.

“I’m making breakfast. Since Carmen, Alex, and Dani made dinner yesterday, I thought I’d make something out of the remaining food.” Cassie explained.

“I see. So what are you making with eggs, milk, and hotdog buns?” Luke asked picking up one of the four packets of buns.

“It’s a french toast casserole.” Cassie said. “Since you’re here, you can help by cutting the bread up into smaller pieces and putting it in the glassware over there.” She pointed to a 13x9 inch glass dish sitting off to the side. 

“Right.” Luke said. Before starting his task, he went over to the sink to wash his hands.

The two worked in a comfortable silence for a few minutes. Each focused on their task. 

“So,” began Luke. “Has your Fourth of July been all you thought it would be?” 

Cassie shrugged her shoulders. “I just wanted it to be fun and have a good time. I think I’ve achieved that.”

“That’s good to hear.”

“It’s nice having new friends. I don’t want to think about what my holiday would have looked life if I weren’t here with you guys.” Cassie admitted.

“What do you mean? I thought Jade invited you to a yacht party.” Luke said.

“She did, and I’m not sure if I would have gone or not. I really didn’t want to be the third wheel with her and Sean.” Cassie rolled her eyes once more at the thought of spending an extended period of time with Jade and her newest distraction.

“I take it you’re not Sean’s biggest fan.” Luke said.

“It’s not that. He’s a nice enough guy. I don’t have anything against him…” Cassie said adding milk to the eggs. She then picked up a whisk and began to beat the egg and milk mixture.

“I sense there is a but in there somewhere.” Luke said tossing another halved bun into the dish ware. 

“There is no but.” Cassie insisted.

Luke stared at Cassie for a few moments before she looked up from the bowl.

“Fine. I don’t like Sean with Jade.”

“So they are an item then?” Luke asked.

“You were at her birthday get together. What do you think?”

“You want my honest opinion?” Luke asked.

“I wouldn’t want you to lie.” Cassie said.

“Sean seemed more into Jade than she was into him.”

Cassie laughed bitterly. “She’s not a great actress is she?” She began to vigorously whip her wrist around in an attempt to beat the eggs harder.

“I take it there is something I’m missing?” Luke asked.

“No there’s nothing you’re missing.” Cassie said. She stopped what she was doing and allowed the whisk she was using to fall against the glass bowl. “Are you done?” 

Luke stared at Cassie. He knew she wanted to say more, but she was holding back. He decided, as he so often did, not to push. “Yeah. All done.” In the time they spent talking, Luke had successfully cut up all of the bread as he was instructed to do. 

“Great. Watch out.” Cassie said as she walked, with mixing bowl in hand, over to where he was standing. Luke moved out of the way and Cassie poured the egg mixture into the glass dish over the hot dog bun pieces. 

“What’s next?” Luke asked. He watched as Cassie opened the oven and put the casserole into the oven.

“How are you at washing dishes?” Cassie asked.


Dani walked toward the kitchen with a semi-awake AJ on her hip. She heard the soft clanking of dishes and the smell of cinnamon was making its way through the house. When she got to the doorway, Dani stopped. She watched Luke and Cassie work together as they cleaned up a small mess. Their backs were to Dani, so she stood in the doorway and continued to spy on her best friend. They worked well together and seemed to anticipate each other’s next move. Dani could only be an unknown observer for so long; AJ was beginning to get fussy. She shifted her son to her other hip and walked into the room.

“You two are up early.” Dani said as she walked over to the refrigerator.

Cassie spun around at the sound of Dani’s voice. She was not expecting someone else to be awake.

“It’s not that early.” Luke said turning around in a much more calm and controlled manner than Cassie. He placed the drying towel he was using next to him as he leaned against the counter.

“It’s early for the day after a holiday.” Dani said. Having retrieved a bottle from the refrigerator she proceeded to shake it up in her free hand. 

“I just thought I’d treat you guys to breakfast as a thank-you for inviting me along to crash your party.” Cassie said.

“We loved having you here.” Dani said. She placed the bottle on the counter and turned on the faucet of the single sink beside the refrigerator. “So what did you make?” 

“A French toast casserole.” Cassie said. “It seemed like the best way to use up those hot dog buns.”

“That was smart.” Dani said. “We would have just put them in the freezer once we got home. I’m sure Alex would have used them eventually, but I like your idea better.” Dani turned her attention to Luke while adjusting a squirming AJ. “And you are up because?” 

“I was helping Cassie. She needed my expertise in cutting hot dog buns into bite sized pieces.” Luke said. He walked over to where Dani stood and held his hands out to AJ. The toddler eagerly threw his body toward Luke.

Dani smiled at Luke, “thanks. That will make getting his bottle ready so much easier.” Dani said.

“Not a problem. Right little guy?” Luke said. He became engrossed with entertaining AJ, lifting him up into the air as the little boy giggled profusely and then bringing him back down. 

Cassie smiled at the interaction between Luke and AJ. It was hard not to. Luke was good with the toddler. Cassie was not sure why, but she was fascinated by that. 

It did not go unnoticed by Dani that Cassie was watching an oblivious Luke play with her son. Their conversation stopped the moment Luke took AJ into his arms to keep the child busy while Dani fixed a bottle. Dani wondered what was going through Cassie’s head.

Cassie shook her head to get out of her thoughts. “Back to the original conversation.” Cassie said. “I did not need his ‘expertise.’ He offered to help, and there’s really only so much work to be done with this casserole.” 

“I understand. I’m sure it’s going to taste great.” Dani placed her hand under the still running water before retrieving the bottle from the counter and moving it back and forth under the stream from the faucet. She placed the bottle on the counter in front of Luke. He picked it up and gave it to AJ who immediately put the nipple into his mouth.

Dani looked at Cassie who was once again staring at Luke and AJ, only it seemed she was in her own world and not truly focused on the pair. Luke left the kitchen with AJ still in his arms and Dani watched as he took her son outside on the porch. After the sliding door closed, Dani turned back to Cassie.

“Hey.” Dani said.

Cassie blinked a few times before focusing on Dani.

“Where’d you go?” Dani asked.

Cassie shrugged. “Nowhere in particular.”

Dani tilted her head to the side. “Do you want kids?” 

“That’s a bit random.” Cassie said.

“Not really. I see how you look at AJ.” Dani said. What she did not say was that she had seen how Cassie looked when Luke interacted with AJ.

“I did, once. I dreamed of a house and picket fences and kids, but not now, not anymore. I don’t know if I still do, want kids that is. I haven’t really thought about it.” Cassie said.

Dani nodded her head. “So what changed?” She asked. Dani knew something major had happened to Cassie. She learned that from Jade. But she often wondered what event could seemingly change someone so completely. 

“My boyfriend died, or ex-boyfriend or… What do you call the person who died the same night you broke up with them?” Cassie said.

“I don’t know.” Dani said. Things were beginning to make sense. 

“For so long I saw a future, my future with him. Then things ended; he died. Everything I thought I knew, thought I wanted it just…” Cassie stopped abruptly. “I need to check the casserole.”

“Cassie.” Dani said. She did not know what to say, but she knew it was probably best to keep Cassie talking, to have her confront the things she seemed to be running away from.

“I think it’s done.” Cassie said ignoring Dani. She reached for pot holders and pulled the dish out of the oven. “Why don’t you go let everyone know breakfast is ready.” 

“Right.” Dani said. She did not have a choice; Dani could tell Cassie had closed up again. She left Cassie alone in the kitchen.

After Dani’s departure, Cassie let out a breath she did not know she was holding. Once again, she said more than she meant to say. The holiday was perfect, up until then. Cassie had enjoyed her time at the beach with her friends, but the conversation she was about to embark on was not one she felt she was ready to have. 

 

Shortly after Dani left, she returned with the rest of their party. They ate breakfast, cleaned up the house and packed to head home. It was time to get back to the real world.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.