Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


After her six-hour flight home, all Cassie wanted to do was sleep. She walked into her apartment. The air was stale. She noticed a box to the left of the door filled with mail. One of her neighbors was kind enough to pick it up while she was away.

Cassie reached to flip the switch for the lights. Her apartment filled with light. Considering she forgot to call ahead and notify the electric company of her return, Cassie was surprised the lights worked. She walked into her bedroom and put her bags down before making her way into the kitchen. Just for kicks, she attempted to turn on the water in the kitchen sink. As with the lights, it also worked. Cassie silently thanked whoever it was that remembered to do those two basic things for her.

Noting the stale air and overall stuffy feeling of her apartment, Cassie turned on an overhead fan to get the air moving. She looked in her refrigerator; of course, there was nothing in it.  She then went to her pantry to find the same situation; it was empty. Whoever had her electricity and water turned on was not benevolent enough to go  grocery shopping for her. She would have to order something to eat. Had she been more organized, Cassie would have stopped on her way home. But being organized would be a new trait for Cassie. At least some things about me are still the same, Cassie thought.

Cassie was tired. For much of the flight, she only pretended to sleep. After their conversation started heading in a direction she did not want it to go, Cassie decided she did not want to be bothered by Luke. 

Sitting on the couch, Cassie leaned her head back and closed her eyes. An image of Christian flashed in her mind. Nope, she thought, napping is not an option. 

During her travels, it was easy to forget about Christian and his death. There was so much to see and to experience in all of the places she visited. More importantly, none of those places were New York. They did not hold memories of dates, walks, arguments and long nights. There was nothing to remind her of the man who had changed her life so completely, and not for the better. 

The rampant knocks on the door went unnoticed, as Cassie was lost in thought. She jumped when she heard the lock click and the door open.  She did not know why, but she was half expecting Christian to walk through the door.

“Hey you!”

“What the hell, Jade?” Cassie asked. “You scared me!”

“I knocked.” Jade said simply walking into the room. She was a woman of five feet six inches with wavy dark hair that fell to her shoulders. Her light brown skin was an obvious indication of her mixed heritage. 

“And you couldn’t wait for me to get the door?”

“Did you even hear me knocking?” Jade asked.

Cassie looked away with guilt on her face, “No sorry.”

“I didn’t think you had. I was standing there for a minute banging on your door. One of your neighbors came out and stared me down.”

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry. I was just…”

“Napping?”

“No, I was just lost in thought.”

“Of course.” Jade sat down on the couch with Cassie. She put her bag on the coffee table. “How was the world?”

Cassie smiled, “The world was beautiful. I got some really great photos.”

“I saw. You only sent me no less than fifty a day.”

“I did not send that many. You are exaggerating.” Cassie said. One thing she had missed while she was away was her best friend.

“Hmm… maybe I am. Have you had anything to eat yet? I know there is nothing here. I would have stocked up the pantry and fridge, but I just didn’t have the time.”

“Were you the one who got my utilities turned on?”

“Yes, I was able to get that done over the phone. I couldn’t have you coming home to a cold dark apartment now could I? Only the best for my best friend.” Jade grinned. “Now, back to the subject of food. What do you want to eat?”

“You know what. I missed New York pizza. I can now say I’ve traveled the world and there is nothing like a large slice of greasy New York pizza.” Cassie said.

“We can do that. I’ll order and we can have it delivered.”

“We don’t have to stay in and eat.” Cassie said eagerly. While she was happy to be home, her apartment held too many memories. Even with Jade there, the place still felt empty. She stood up and grabbed her purse. “We can eat out.”

“Really?” Jade asked. “I thought you’d be too tired to move.”

“I am tired, I just don’t want to be here right now.” Cassie said waving her hand in a circular motion, indicating her apartment.

“Alrighty then. Let’s go out and you can tell me about your adventures abroad.” Jade said.

The two women walked out the door. When they got downstairs and out of the building, they hailed a cab. There was a decent pizza place not too far from where Cassie lived. During the drive to the restaurant, Jade filled in Cassie about the goings on of their industry. 

Before Cassie took off touring the world, she was a songwriter. Her name was not famous, but her songs were. Jade, her confidant and best friend, was one of the artists who benefitted most from Cassie’s immense talent. Many of her number one hits came from the mind of Cassandra Mitchell. 

“I don’t know if you heard, but my last album won the Grammy for Album of the Year thanks to you.” Jade said.

Cassie smiled. She was happy for her friend; they put a lot of work into making sure the album was the best it could be. “That’s good to hear. I tried to stay away from everything while I was away.”

“I know. Did you notice anything different in your apartment?” Jade asked.

“Other than the stale air and dust? No.”

“You are so unobservant.”

“Hey, I just got off of a six-hour flight on which I did not sleep.” Cassie said defending herself.

Jade shook her head. “Your song, your baby—the one you wrote before Christian died—won song of the year. We released it as a third single off of the album late in the year. I left the award on the piano for you.” 

Cassie was surprised. Over the years she had written numerous hit songs, but nothing was ever good enough to be considered the song of the year. “Wow, I didn’t know. No one told me.”

“I would have told you, but you insisted I stop talking whenever I tried to bring up something involving the industry. I accepted the award on your behalf.”

“Thank you.” Cassie said. She was sincere in her gratitude and she tried to convey that with the look she was giving Jade. 

The taxi stopped in front of a small restaurant. Cassie and Jade exited the vehicle after paying their driver. They walked into the building and ordered their food. After taking their number and finding a booth, they resumed their conversation.

“So the flight home, not so good?” Jade asked referring to Cassie’s admission that she hadn’t been able to sleep on the plane.

“I slept some right after we reached our cruising altitude, but we hit some turbulence on the way back. After that, I couldn’t really get back to sleep.”

“Did you at least have someone interesting sitting next to you? Preferably a single male for you to interact with ?” Jade asked.

Cassie rolled her eyes at the singer’s last statement. “Somewhat interesting. Coincidentally, I was seated with a guy I went to college with. We graduated the same year and we were in the same program.”

Jade’s eyes lit up at the new development, “Really? Are you attracted to him?”

“Jade.” Cassie said annoyed.

“Cassie, I need details. On a scale of one to ten, how attractive was he? Did you talk? I’m guessing you had to if you realized you went to school together. What did you talk about? And does he live in New York?”

Overwhelmed by all of the questions her friend just asked, Cassie shook her head. “I didn’t really assess his hotness,” Cassie laughed. Lies you tell yourself, Cassie thought. “Yes we talked and yes he lives in New York.”

Before Jade could ask another question their order arrived. The server placed the large pizza between the two women and took the number before walking away.

“So, what did you talk about?” Jade asked as she placed a slice of pizza on her plate.

“It wasn’t a long conversation. Really it was, ‘hey I know you,’ and ‘I was in Iceland for business,’ ‘I was there on vacation,’ ‘hmm what should I do the next time I’m there.’”

“That’s all? You sat next to this man for six hours and all you discussed was whether you were visiting Iceland for business or pleasure?” Jade asked.

Cassie nodded her head. Her mouth was full, so she could not properly respond. After swallowing her pizza, Cassie spoke up. “The conversation started to get personal.”

Jade rolled her eyes, “In what way?”

“It was only a matter of time before he wanted to know more about why I was traveling alone, and I really did not want to answer that question.” Cassie said.

Jade took a moment to stare at her friend. She had hoped Cassie’s trip abroad would help get her back to being the women she knew Cassie was. But it looked like the year-long vacation only delayed the healing process. Jade was very disappointed. “It’s been over a year.”

“I know.”

“You can’t stay in this funk forever.”

“I’m not in a funk, Jade. I’m just cautious. I’m protecting myself. I don’t want to be hurt or blindsided again; that is all.”

“You’re going to have to open up at some point Cassie. You need to be able to let people in again.” Jade said.

“Maybe, someday. But that day is not today, or anytime soon for that matter.” Cassie said before finishing her slice of pizza. “Can we talk about something else? What have you been up to while I’ve been away?”

“I’ve done a lot actually. We are in the process of planning my tour for next year. In addition to that, I’m working with Sean Adams right now.”

“Are you doing a collaboration in the studio?” Cassie asked. While she was gone, she did not want any news concerning the music business. To be honest, she still did not care to hear too much about it. But since Jade was her best friend, and as an attempt to shift the conversation away from herself, Cassie wanted to hear more about Jade’s work.

“No, not yet. I ran into him at a fundraiser and we got to talking. Both of us were really influenced by music at a young age, many musicians are. But it seems like a lot of school programs are getting cut. We both think it’s a good idea to try and set up some sort of organization that supplements the school programs.” Jade explained.

“That’s actually a really good idea. As much as I hated going to lessons as a kid, I grew to appreciate it.” Cassie said. “It helped focus me and gave me some kind of discipline.”

“I’m glad you agree. I could really use your help on this. And before you say no just hear me out.” Jade said. “You need something to do.”

“I never said that.”

“I’m your best friend I can tell. You’re not in a place where you’re ready to write again. As much as I hate to admit it—and I know you’re in denial too—this past year has done nothing to help you get over Christian’s death.”

Cassie sat quietly knowing what her friend said was true.

“You love music.” Jade continued. “And you’re intelligent, and before your songwriting took off you worked in the nonprofit world. I need you on the board Cassie.”

“Can I think about it?” Cassie asked.

“What’s there to think about? You’ll say yes.” Jade said confidently. 

Cassie knew Jade was right. She would eventually say yes.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.