Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Sorry for the long wait. I spent the holiday in Alabama with family and when I got home I was sick. I may post more chapters later tonight, but I make no guaruntees. Scandal comes on tonight. 




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


About a week after her meeting with Detective Parker, Cassie received a call from Jade about the first meeting for their new nonprofit organization. They were meeting at a restaurant around three in the afternoon. Cassie arrived early, per usual, and peered into the restaurant’s windows. The establishment looked closed. She pulled out her cell phone to give Jade a call, but the door opened instead. A woman with long dark hair, pale skin, brown eyes and high cheek bones stood in front of her.

“Wow, this is a coincidence.” The woman said.

Cassie stared as she tried to place where she had seen the woman before. It did not take long for it to hit her; Cassie was getting tired of coincidences. “Dani right?” Cassie asked.

“Yeah. God I can’t believe you’re here.” Dani laughed.

“This has just been a crazy couple of weeks.” Cassie said, “I can’t even believe this is happening.”

“Why are you here?” Dani asked curiously. Her meeting with Jade and the two other potential board members was scheduled to start in about fifteen minutes.

“I think I might be lost or something. I’m supposed to be at a meeting here at three. I think Jade got this wrong.” Cassie explained.

Dani nodded her head as she realized why her college classmate was standing outside the restaurant. “You’re not lost. You’re in the right place. This is the weirdest coincidence I have ever been subject to.” Dani said. “Come on in. You’re early.”

Cassie followed Dani into the restaurant. It was quiet. She noticed all of the tables were empty. “Where is everyone?” Cassie wondered.

“Oh, the restaurant closes between two and four thirty. It’s a way to give the kitchen time to prep. for dinner.”

“I see.” Cassie said.

Dani led Cassie to a table located in a large room that was tucked away in the back. “We’ll be meeting back here. It’s good to be out of everyone’s hair. I’m going to go back up front. I’m sure Jade and our fourth member should be here soon.” Dani said.

Cassie sat alone contemplating the coincidences—because that is what they were, not fate—that seemed to keep piling up on her. First there was her flight home from Iceland, then she randomly ran into Luke at one of her favorite delis and now she was about to start work building an organization with a woman she also had not seen since graduating from college. What are the chances? Cassie thought to herself. 

Dani returned. Following not too far behind her were Jade, whom Cassie recognized immediately, and Sean—a tall man with dark skin, a wide nose and a closely shaven head—a popular R&B crooner. 

“You showed up!” Jade directed at Cassie who was sitting at the table alone when the trio arrived. 

“I said I would didn’t I?” Cassie said.

Jade turned to Dani, “I’m sure the two of you have already done introductions.”

“Actually no,” Dani said. Jade looked at her confused. “None were necessary. Cassie and I went to college together.”

Jade smiled, “Oh really. What a coincidence.” 

Cassie rolled her eyes. She then turned to the only male of their group. “Hi Sean, I’m Cassie. It’s nice to meet you.” Cassie said introducing herself. She stuck out her hand for him to shake.

“It’s very nice to meet you. I’m curious to how you fit into all of this.” Sean said. “No offense, I’m sure you’re brilliant, but Jade didn’t really explain your role.” 

Sean sat down, as did Jade and Dani.

“Cassie has had some experience in the nonprofit sector in the past.” Jade said.

“Really? Where did you work?” Dani asked.

“It was a long time ago, and probably not even relevant anymore.”

“Then why are you here?” Sean asked again. He was not trying to be rude, but he felt it would be nice to get a feel for the people he would be working with and the skills they possessed. “I really am not trying to be rude. But I’m sure Jade’s explained to you that this project is kind of like our baby.” Sean looked to Jade who nodded her head in agreement. 

“Sean, just know that Cassie is needed on this and she’ll do great.” Jade said vaguely. When she and Sean first met, he mentioned wanting to work with the somewhat reclusive Cassandra Mitchell. He was enthusiastic about it to the point of being almost obsessed. Jade could understand why. Cassie’s songs were almost a guaranteed hit. When she worked with an artist, she devoted her time to finding the right sound and the right words to go with that artist. Nothing was ever reused. When Cassie wrote you a song, no one would be able to sing it better then you—except for perhaps Cassie herself. Knowing this bit of information, Jade did not share Cassie’s true value. Jade knew in the long run having Cassie on board would assure the cooperation and contribution of some of the industries biggest recording artists.

Dani recognized Jade’s brush off for what it was—one friend protecting another. Since Cassie’s arrival, Dani noticed the other woman did not say much. She had not initiated any type of conversation, she just responded. Dani could feel that there was something off about Cassie, but she was not sure what. 

“How about we get down to the reason we’re all here?” Dani said. She was eager to get started and she wanted to disperse some of the tension that had started to build as a result of Jade and Sean’s conversation.

“I think that’s a good idea, Dani. I’ve had a chance to speak with each of you individually and each time I talk about this I think I mention different aspects I hadn’t thought of before. The short of it is this: I want the four of us to build a music-based philanthropic organization. Initially, I want this to be about students here in the US, getting instruments and instructors. Eventually though, I’d like to take this international. For now I think we should focus on the short term and getting us up and running.” Jade explained. “Any questions or suggestions?”

Cassie listened to the conversation as Dani began to speak. She started mentioning the things that were needed and throwing out ballpark estimates of what those things would cost. Cassie’s mind began to drift somewhere else. It was not that Cassie found the conversation uninteresting, it was just that she found her own situation to be more thought provoking. Since completing her undergraduate degree, Cassie had met many new people. It was rare that she ran into someone she went to school with, especially since she now lived in New York. Cassie moved promptly after graduating from college. In the past, Cassie may have attributed the coincidences popping up in her life to fate. But since Christian’s death, her thought process changed and fate no longer figured into it.

Jade looked over to Cassie; it was obvious her mind was in a completely different place. Dani had finished speaking and was asking for thoughts. Sean had said his piece and Jade put in her two cents, the group was waiting on Cassie to say something. “Hey, are you in there?” Jade asked tapping Cassie on the shoulder.

“Yeah, what do you need?” Cassie asked looking around the table; all eyes were on her.

“What do you think about what Dani said?” Jade asked.

“Um, I’m sorry. I completely blanked out there for a minute.” Cassie said.

“Don’t worry about it. I have a tendency to drone on sometimes. It was just about the numbers and how much we’ll need to raise in order to at least hire someone to help get this up and running or maybe plan some kind of kick-off fundraising event. I’ll type up everything I said and send it out to you guys.” Dani said.

“That sounds like a good idea.” Sean said. He then looked at his watch. “I really hate to leave early, but I have a recording session I need to get to.” 

“Oh, that’s fine. I’m pretty sure we’re wrapping up here.” Jade said.

“Great. Dani, Jade will give you my information. Cassie it was nice to meet you.” Sean said his goodbyes and departed from the three women.

Cassie stood to leave as well. “I’m going to head out too. I’ve got…stuff.” Cassie said excusing herself.

Jade and Dani waved goodbye.

“I think that went well.” Jade said.

“Yeah, it was a good start.” Dani agreed. “May I ask how do you know Cassie? I know you plucked me from obscurity and Sean is another singer, like yourself.”

“Cassie has been one of my best friends for years. We met through a friend of a friend. When she moved to New York, she needed a place to stay and a friend of mine knew I was looking for a roommate. We lived together for two years before I moved out.”

“You hit it big?” Dani asked.

“Yeah. First hit song came out and the rest is history, as they say. You knew her in college?”

“Yeah. She’s a bit different now. We weren’t friends or anything, but we had a class together. She just doesn’t seem as outgoing as she was then.”

“Cassie’s never been a gregarious person.” Jade countered.

“That’s not really what I meant. In college it was rare for her to not have a smile on her face. She may not have initiated a conversation, but once one was started she was eager to continue it.” Dani explained. 

“Yeah, I know what you mean. Cassie’s been through a lot. But I think, I hope things are looking up for her.” Jade said. She was thinking about her friend’s recent encounters with Luke.

“It’d be nice. I just find it so strange that Luke, he’s one of my closest friends, ran into her twice and now the two of us are working together.” Dani laughed.

“You know Luke?” Jade asked surprised.

“She told you then.”

“Yup. She’s not quite comfortable with the fact she keeps running into him. I think it’s because she’s been pushing people away for over a year, and now there’s someone that seems to be randomly popping up and weaseling their way into her life.” Jade said.

Dani laughed. “I think Cassie’s been a breath of fresh air for Luke. He’s a workaholic who never takes time for himself. Running into Cassie has him thinking.”

“In a good way or a bad way?” Jade asked.

“I think in a good way.” 

“You ladies look like you’re up to something.”

Jade turned around to see who it was that made the comment. Walking toward them was a man wearing a white half-apron.

“Hey babe.” Dani said. “We aren’t up to anything.” She smirked. “Have you met Jade yet?”

“No, I haven’t. It’s nice to meet you.” Alex said extending his hand.

“Same. Are you a chef here?” Jade asked. Dani was the one who suggested they meet at the restaurant; Jade assumed it was because the food was decent. When she arrived earlier, she had not expected the restaurant to be closed.

“Yeah, I own this place.” Alex explained as he sat down. “How did your meeting go?”

“I think it went well. We’ve got a few action items to work on before we meet again. You will never guess who Jade knows and who is working with us on this project!” Dani said excitedly to her husband.

“Who?” 

“Cassie Mitchell, my classmate from college—the one Luke’s been running into lately.” Dani said.

“No way!” Alex turned to Jade for confirmation.

“Yeah, I couldn’t believe it either.” Jade said.

“Well, this is very interesting.” Alex said. Then he looked at his wife, “I hope you aren’t planning to meddle.”

 

“I have no idea what you’re talking about.” Dani said innocently. She then turned and winked at Jade. She had a feeling that she and the singer were on the same page. 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.